Forum Settings
Forums

Is there an anime both elitists and non-elitists agree that is good? And why?

New
Feb 6, 2017 5:40 PM

Feb 2014
Is there? If yes, then what aspects it had that pleased both sides? Why is it hard to have anime like this? Is that because mainly of analytic reasons or straight up BIAS?
thewiruFeb 6, 2017 5:58 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 6, 2017 5:42 PM

Feb 2013
both casual and elitists are memes.
Feb 6, 2017 5:44 PM

Oct 2013
if casuals are those that only watch main stream anime then if I'm not mistaken both for the most part like FMA Brotherhood
Feb 6, 2017 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
FMA: Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop.
Feb 6, 2017 5:48 PM

Feb 2014
Deknijff said:
if casuals are those that only watch main stream anime then if I'm not mistaken both for the most part like FMA Brotherhood

I didn't have a word for "Non-Elitist", so i just said casual.
Feb 6, 2017 5:49 PM

Jun 2007
_Lightsbane said:
FMA: Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop.

Ghost in the Shell and Ghibli films, too.
Feb 6, 2017 5:51 PM

Oct 2015
There are quite a few examples I can think of from the top of my head:
.FMA (either original or Brotherhood)
.Studio Ghibli films (particularly the ones directed by Miyazaki)
.Cowboy Bebop
.Ghost in the Shell
.Akira
.Gintama (to an extent, I've seen some elitists who love Gintama)
.Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (the anime at least)
Feb 6, 2017 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
thewiru said:
Deknijff said:
I didn't have a word for "Non-Elitist", so i just said casual.
why didn't you just say non elitists...
that would of totally been fine
Feb 6, 2017 5:54 PM

Feb 2016
Some Masaaki Yuasa shows, NGE, often Mushishi and what the others said

Its just theory anyway since they dont exist

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 6, 2017 5:59 PM

Oct 2013
Elitist said that casuals have shit taste, if that is the case they shouldn't like the same anime as they do. Another reason why this shit taste stuff is bullshit.
Feb 6, 2017 6:09 PM

Feb 2010
One Piece of course, what else?
It's great.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 6, 2017 6:17 PM

Feb 2010
hnnmilam said:
Pullman said:
One Piece of course, what else?
It's great.

Not sure you're kidding or...? Because i've seen many "elitists" said it's totally crap.

Those were really just plebs in disguise then. Most are.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 6, 2017 6:19 PM

Jun 2015
Usagi Drop.

And it is universally agreed on that the continuation is shit.
Feb 6, 2017 6:23 PM

Apr 2015
Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell would probably be the only two things I could think of that would even come close.

"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 6, 2017 6:25 PM
Sep 2016
Yu Yu Hakusho

Casual Plebs: Fun action show with cool characters and good dub.

Elitist Weebs: Insight on why teenage assholes are the way they are, good directing and it's like 20 years old, so they can feel cultured.
Feb 6, 2017 6:27 PM

Jan 2008
Fate/Zero would probably would. Mature themes and adult characters for the so called elitists and flashy fight scenes with good animation for the casuals to enjoy.
Feb 6, 2017 6:35 PM

Mar 2008
Such an anime would have to be both accessible and masterful like Ping Pong
Feb 6, 2017 6:44 PM

Dec 2013
FMAB is the easy answer here, the vast majority of all the stuff that's highly rated honestly.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Feb 6, 2017 6:49 PM

Aug 2015
Elitists and Non-elitists can agree with Aki-Sora being a great anime. A deep anime with some mature themes about how a relationship between siblings should be.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Feb 6, 2017 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
I think there is a lot of "elitist" anime that "casuals" would like.

OFC elitist anime do not really exist and neither do elitists.
Feb 6, 2017 7:01 PM

Mar 2016
The reason being an "elitist" is stupid is because it specifically means that this will NOT happen, since you would never admit that a show that casuals like is good. So the answer is no.

But setting aside the elitist/casual tags, I think Brotherhood is the best answer. People like Brotherhood to varying degrees, but I've never seen anyone straight-up trash it (at least anyone who was generally reasonable).
Feb 6, 2017 7:31 PM

Oct 2015
hunter x hunter
fmab
cowboy bebop
LoTGH
TTGL
and i would go out of the limb and say one piece
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Feb 6, 2017 7:47 PM

Jul 2015
Pullman said:
hnnmilam said:

Not sure you're kidding or...? Because i've seen many "elitists" said it's totally crap.

Those were really just plebs in disguise then. Most are.
I would say the One Piece Manga is more agreed on, and Kingdom
Sup...
Feb 6, 2017 7:51 PM

Sep 2015
There's School Days, Glasslip, Mayoiga, etc.
Feb 6, 2017 8:05 PM

Dec 2016
The most hardcore elitists would likely dismiss a show they previously liked if they found out casuals liked it. But I generally find that, as with most labels, these terms are a serious oversimplification. People's personalities and interests don't often fit cleanly into categories.
Feb 6, 2017 8:05 PM

Aug 2008
Here we go again. Another elitist thread. Anyway, I think that will FMA:Brotherhood.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 7, 2017 12:44 AM

Jul 2013
If we speak about animes that most of people (not all of them) agree are good, the first responses who comes to my mind are Death Note and FMAB.
Feb 7, 2017 12:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Considering that everyone is individual, obviously yes. Or rather you could basically just say random user x and random user y; they're pretty much guaranteed to both like at least one similar anime. Elitism doesn't have much do with it in that case

If you mean to say in general though, I guess some classics like Death Note, FMA:B, Steins;Gate and maybe Cowboy Bebop are probably up there? Arguably Fate/Zero too
Feb 7, 2017 1:21 AM

Nov 2009
thewiru said:
Is there? If yes, then what aspects it had that pleased both sides? Why is it hard to have anime like this? Is that because mainly of analytic reasons or straight up BIAS?

In short, about half of "stereotypical elitist anime list" are good anime that have wide appeal. Most people who have actually seen them agree that they're good.
( The second half is "artsy" anime that simple people would avoid, or fujobait niche anime that appeal to people who seek to validate their manliness, like LoGH. )
The problem is, elitists refuse to recognize that there are other good anime out there.
Feb 7, 2017 1:39 AM

Jul 2015
@Flannan The problem is, evil casuals refuse to recognize there are other good anime like FLCL.

(Really, these discussions and the arguments used are shit and I'm tired of weebs with zero self-awareness)

OT: meh. I see a bunch of people rating Akira and Cowboy Bebop a 4 or 5, I wouldn't say everybody agrees on them.
Feb 7, 2017 1:49 AM

Dec 2015
How many times does someone have to post that casuals and elitists aren't nessecary two opposites? Do we really need ANOTHER elitist thread to make this clear? I've seen enough elitist casuals to know.
Feb 7, 2017 2:17 AM

Oct 2014
Are there any anime that both perverts and non-perverts agree are good?

Believe it or not but it's not like this is a "glass half full, glass half empty" kind of thing. While different people may view the quantity halfway between full and empty as being good and others as being bad, the type of liquid that those people like to have in their glass is far more important than their opinion of how to phrase how much is in it. There are elitists who like Naruto and casuals who like LoGH.
Feb 7, 2017 2:21 AM

Oct 2015
Being a causual or not has nothing to do with if you are critical or not. Casual only means you don't watch so much anime per time count compared to others. It is possible for a casual viewer having a very big list if (for example) he watched anime for twenty years. Being critical is also possible since anime is not the only consumable medium out there.

"Elitists" on the other hand are people who think they are superior than/look down on others. That's all. It has no relation with taste or anime at all. A so called "casual" (based on MAL definition) can also be an elitist by thinking "those who give low scores are idiots". "Elitist shows" are used for shows that are not easy to understand, not enjoyable for the masses or old. However, this term does not exist at all and is thrown as a buzz word since an unanimous definition doesn't exist.

i.e yes it is possible, since everyone is probably using the words wrongly,

shoutout to ye boi @kamisama751

for tat def
Mei-o_ScarlettFeb 7, 2017 4:22 AM
Feb 7, 2017 2:52 AM

Mar 2009
HaXXspetten said:
Considering that everyone is individual, obviously yes. Or rather you could basically just say random user x and random user y; they're pretty much guaranteed to both like at least one similar anime. Elitism doesn't have much do with it in that case

If you mean to say in general though, I guess some classics like Death Note, FMA:B, Steins;Gate and maybe Cowboy Bebop are probably up there? Arguably Fate/Zero too

No elitist but Death Note, FMAB and Steins;Gate are top pleb.
No self professed elitist should like those.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Feb 7, 2017 2:56 AM

Mar 2015
there are lot actually, since thay are actually arguably popular (which mean well known to pleb as well), or at least in their own golden age series that didn't age that well...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 7, 2017 2:58 AM

Apr 2014
Sword Art Online, Re Zero or One Punch Man. There are quite a lot actually
Feb 7, 2017 3:05 AM

Nov 2009
Clebardman said:
@Flannan The problem is, evil casuals refuse to recognize there are other good anime like FLCL.

FLCL is a good example of "artsy" show. It makes no sense, but looks like it should.
Of course casuals would not appreciate that. It's not a problem, it's the way things should be.
Feb 7, 2017 3:08 AM

Jul 2015
@flannan basically, you're mad because people refuse to lie and say they found some shows you like good, wich makes them evil elitists, but you calling their favs "artsy nonsensical shows" favs is normal and "how things should be".

Do you even think about or understand the stuff you're typing? :/ Seriously...
Feb 7, 2017 3:11 AM

Oct 2014
Is the word elitist still a thing?

If I had to answer I would say Aria, or Gintama.
Feb 7, 2017 3:14 AM

Nov 2014
Well, the consensus on this thread in pretty resounding.

So do casuals and elitists like the shows for the same reason?
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 7, 2017 3:22 AM

Jul 2014
The highest rated anime (in the top 300) associated with "elitism" with at least 200k votes (Top 250 popularity) are: Cowboy Bebop, NGE, Mushishi, Monster, Berserk and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Feb 7, 2017 3:27 AM

Sep 2013
FMAB is probably the best answer. Cowboy Bebop would be a good guess (even though it's shit) as well.

Is Fate/Zero in the elitist repertoire? If it is, this one also.

Uchuu Kyoudai, but I don't think it has the same level of exposition as the others mentioned above.

And of course Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan (TV), since it saved anime.
Feb 7, 2017 3:30 AM

Oct 2015
kamisama751 said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Being a causual or not has nothing to do with if you are critical or not. Casual only means you don't watch so much anime per time count compared to others. It is possible for a casual viewer having a very big list if (for example) he watched anime for twenty years. Being critical is also possible since anime is not the only consumable medium out there.

"Elitists" on the other hand are people who think they are superior than/look down on others. That's all. It has no relation with taste or anime at all. A so called "casual" (based on MAL definition) can also be an elitist by thinking "those who give low scores are idiots". "Elitist shows" are used for shows that are not easy to understand, not enjoyable for the masses or old. However, this term does not exist at all and is thrown as a buzz word since an unanimous definition doesn't exist.

i.e yes it is possible, since everyone is probably using the words wrongly,

At least quote the person who wrote it. :O

tsk exposed by the shit lord, fock ;-;
Feb 7, 2017 3:35 AM

Nov 2009
Clebardman said:
@flannan basically, you're mad because people refuse to pretend they found some shows you like good, wich makes them evil elitists, but you calling their favs "artsy nonsensical shows" favs is normal and "how things should be".

Do you even think about or understand the stuff you're typing? :/ Seriously...

1) I do not claim that artsy shows can't be good. Just that they are unlikely to be appreciated by casuals.
2) Elitists claim to be better than casuals. Hence, I put higher demands on them. You think that's unfair?
Feb 7, 2017 3:36 AM

Apr 2016
It doesn't exist, the end.­ ­­ ­­
Feb 7, 2017 3:39 AM

Jul 2015
@flannan you're the one who claims stuff here. You might also want to read the posts who explain with very simple words what is elitism in every thread like that and why it has literally nothing to do with liking "artsy" shows. I see you in all those threads, but you're still obviously misusing/misunderstanding the term.

hint: casual isn't the opposite of elitist, and one can be both at the same time.
Feb 7, 2017 3:51 AM

Nov 2009
Clebardman said:
@flannan you're the one who claims stuff here. You might also want to read the posts who explain with very simple words what is elitism in every thread like that and why it has literally nothing to do with liking "artsy" shows. I see you in all those threads, but you're still obviously misusing/misunderstanding the term.

hint: casual isn't the opposite of elitist, and one can be both at the same time.

Elitism is a state of mind. The kind of state of mind that forces people to say things like "your taste is shit" or "watch better anime". I've been on these forums for a while, and I've seen a number of people like that. Most of them probably self-identify as trolls, but that does not matter, because elitists are a subset of trolls.

Whether they like anime from "stereotypical elitist anime list" or not does not matter, but many of them seem compelled to praise the shows from the list above all others.
The list, as quoted by anybody who quotes it, consists of three categories: really good anime, many of them pretty old; artsy anime for people who value that; grimdark anime for people who value that. These categories have a lot of overlap. There might be "clever" category somewhere, but it overlaps completely with the three categories above for me.
Feb 7, 2017 3:55 AM

Jul 2015
@flannan I'm dying. If the world is easier to understand for you when you put everything in little boxes, fine, but don't force your narrow view down people's throats, please.

Feb 7, 2017 3:58 AM

Mar 2008
there's just two: Inferno cop and Cipher.
Feb 7, 2017 4:00 AM

Nov 2009
Clebardman said:
@flannan I'm dying. If the world is easier to understand for you when you put everything in little boxes, fine, but don't force your narrow view down people's throats, please.

Getting a personalized opinion from me is a privilege people have to earn.
Getting a personalized opinion on each post, because they alternate between lying and speaking honestly every time, is being too damn greedy. I'll throw these kinds of opinions in the trash basket, and I would have killed people who do so if they were near me.
I am not nice unless you're willing to be nice too.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» in your opinion, which genre/theme does anime excel in the most, and which genre/theme does it struggle with the most?

ame - 2 minutes ago

0 by ame »»
2 minutes ago

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - Today

28 by ColourWheel »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think fan-animations are shit

Kenzolo-folk - 1 hour ago

2 by Anjuro »»
17 minutes ago

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - Today

44 by BeastyAnimefan »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - May 29

87 by mdo7 »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.