Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ace of the Diamond
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2015 2:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty chill episode.

Some reflecting back at the recent events and practicing. The pacing felt a bit slow but glad to see some of the grown ups including the coach speak their minds. And lol, the manga club is still alive~

Watanabe also makes quite a bold statement about being manager.
Stark700Aug 17, 2015 4:05 AM
Aug 17, 2015 4:17 AM
Jun 2015
I really (really really really really x100) don't like Ochiai.
Aug 17, 2015 5:03 AM
Jan 2015
I don't like Ochiai either. Did you see the preview of next episode? Looks like he'll get more action too ><
Aug 17, 2015 5:12 AM
Sep 2008
i hates this ochiai guy from the momnt he appeared!!! he is so hateful!!!
how could he say this stuff to haruichi, who worked so hard!!!!!
damn i hate this guy and i hope he will never become a coach!!!! he just like those teachers in real life who only care about the test scores and not about the students.
Aug 17, 2015 5:31 AM

Dec 2011
I really hate Ochiai too and from the preview it seems that I'll be hating him more. ><

I hope the main members of the team won't give in to any of his advice/opinions and would continue to believe in themselves and to coach Kataoka.
Aug 17, 2015 5:45 AM
Aug 2013
Ochiai should go off and die -_- I hate him sooo much I can't stand it!! I hope coach Kataoka will change his mind and won't leave them...
Aug 17, 2015 6:04 AM

Aug 2015
Same Ochiai is getting on my nerves. He would let an injured player play just because that person has the 'Ace' titel.... like come on. He's the oposite of coach Kataoka, dismotivating everyone (except Furuya)
Aug 17, 2015 6:36 AM

Dec 2014
That Fat New coach is trash
Doing what one likes is the right of the powerful.
Aug 17, 2015 7:15 AM

Dec 2010
Good episode. Seems like the Nabe subplot is getting resolved.
Aug 17, 2015 7:45 AM

Mar 2013
I think I just found the character I hate the most in this show (aka Ochiai). Like what's his problem?!

Besides him, I like the team bonding this episode. And Sawamura being the idiot I love.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Aug 17, 2015 9:31 AM

Sep 2013
STFU, Ochiai.
Aug 17, 2015 9:47 AM

Nov 2010
Ehlana said:
I really (really really really really x100) don't like Ochiai.

I think that's the point, to not like him.

I hope we see him gone soon. xD
Aug 17, 2015 10:00 AM

Jul 2009
Ugh this b**** talking shit to the team. I swear how dare he go after Haruichi too! The only thing worse he could do is talk smack to Tetsu...(ok i'll get pretty angry if he talks more crap to Eijun too but UGH)

Was nice seeing Tetsu this ep :3 Him and his shogi (which he sucks at)
Aug 17, 2015 10:51 AM
Jun 2015
jjyu7ajj40 said:
Did you see the preview of next episode? Looks like he'll get more action too ><

Yeah! I think Miyuki will throw him like an idiot. The best moment of this season! Vive Miyuki! o/
Aug 17, 2015 10:51 AM
Apr 2010
ochiai is my kind of dude, ochiai for the win!
Aug 17, 2015 11:09 AM

Jan 2014
Ochiai is a fucking asshole, i really hate this guy.
Aug 17, 2015 11:32 AM

Feb 2015
I wonder why Haruichi didn't say anything back to Assistant Coach Ochiai when he asked why he used a wooden bat. Just found that a bit odd...

To be honest, basing on how Eijun responded last time, even if Ochiai went to him and say something, he'll probably think that he's trying to help (in some way or another), and interpret it differently than how most people on the team would (like Miyuki, etc). xD
Aug 17, 2015 1:51 PM

Oct 2013
Wow Coach Ochiai is pretty blunt and brutal; however, he also has little to no compassion for the team and only cares about winning (which is why he likes Furuya). I don't mind blunt and brutal coaches, but if they say brutal things carelessly, they are going to do so much more harm than good.
Aug 17, 2015 1:53 PM

Jul 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing more of the school life aspect, Yuki and Jun was pretty cool to look out for their juniors.

The other team did caught on already about Furuya's injury! Boy, imagining how the enemy would abuse that is quite unpleasant already.

Ochiai doing his magic. Though statistics are important, statistics are a much weaker drive as Kataoka knows. Enjoying every moment while being in the team, being passionate internally easily outshines something like statistics. Like how the third years are eager to help their juniors and also Wantanabe and his group, these things won't come from Ochiai's dream team.

How Kataoka reignite their passions, that was pretty cool.

Hmm, would Ochiai ever change his views (the highest possibility would be when the results much exceed his expectations), or would he simply leave the team. I wouldn't mind a changed Ochiai, though it is somewhat weird imaging one.
Aug 17, 2015 7:50 PM

Oct 2011
I wish this anime had more school life aspect as well. How are their grades? Does the exhaustion of baseball impede with their grades? Sawamura seems to be popular with the ladies and more bare able in class than on the field.

True Ochai method is frowned upon when compared to coach Kataoka but I do like the contrast. He is more pragmatic and logical in his assessment. I can see him be maturing as a coach who sees only talent and becomes more into the human aspect of the game.

Solid episode.
Aug 17, 2015 10:35 PM

Jun 2012
Ochiai really is infatuated with Furuya. Like its creepy now.
Aug 17, 2015 10:40 PM

Jan 2013
Coach Oachiai always saying such dramatic stuff with that background music.
Can't wait till he is the main coach, it will be interesting to see play out. Possibly a disaster.
This anime sure is slow paced though. Hasn't even been a year yet after around 100 episodes.
Aug 17, 2015 10:41 PM

May 2011
I wonder how Haruichi will respond to Ochai's remark.

Btw, I would like to ask if anyone remembers the reason why Haruichi still uses wooden bat? I remembered there's an episode or so showing why he picked it over aluminium bat, but I've forgotten the reason. Well, since aluminium bat are lighter and better, I'm curious again.
Aug 18, 2015 5:29 AM

Jan 2011
I really like how Watanabe got a lot of focus this episode. I'm really liking him as a character and he seems to be helpful to the team. It's interesting to see him want to be a manager too along with the other two members. Meanwhile, Ochiai was so direct and blunt towards Haruichi, giving such harsh words to him and probably tried to demotivate him.
Aug 18, 2015 8:29 AM

Sep 2014
Nothing much to say about this episode. Ochiai has plans for the team and it shows. Let's see what'll happen next.
Aug 18, 2015 1:30 PM
Jun 2013
All I can say is Ochiai is Ruthless and I can understand why a lot of don't aren't fond of his methods, but at the end of the day result matters and I'm interested to see how things pan out now that he's begun to make his moves.
Aug 18, 2015 2:24 PM

Mar 2009
Stark difference between Ochiai and Kataoka(illustrated in this episode, too): Ochiai puts the members of the team down, while Kataoka lifts them up. How could Ochiai possibly think he'd be a good coach if all he does is insult everyone?

At this point, Ochiai is just there to make Kataoka look better. He's basically a generic villain.
Aug 18, 2015 5:32 PM

Oct 2011
OCHIAI DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 19, 2015 4:22 AM
Aug 2012
Ochiai Logic: Demotivate everyone so he and Furua can become the best Gay couple ever. You just need to say the word ACE to control that blockhead.

Other than that, i wish there were more sol scenes for the 1st and 2nd years.

Aug 19, 2015 2:34 PM

Jul 2013
xahjun said:

Btw, I would like to ask if anyone remembers the reason why Haruichi still uses wooden bat? I remembered there's an episode or so showing why he picked it over aluminium bat, but I've forgotten the reason. Well, since aluminium bat are lighter and better, I'm curious again.
If I remember correctly, it was because of his brother Ryousuke who told him that he was not ready for a wooden bat but that if he was able to master using a wooden bat, he'd be able to hit anything.

That Ochiai is so creepy randomly lurking in corners showing up out of nowhere like that lol.I agree what he said to Haruichi was definitely cold and technical with no regard for the individuals feelings.It's kind of a contrast to how coach Kataoka dealt with Nabe and his friends.I guess having technicalities/skills are important but inciting motivation and passion are also just as important (if not more important) steps in continuing the development of skill.

lol at that scene where Eijun was being concerned about not overworking himself more than usual.Shocked the hell outta Miyuki for saying something so sensible lol.
Incr3dibl3Aug 19, 2015 2:39 PM
Aug 20, 2015 12:16 AM

May 2011
Incr3dibl3 said:
xahjun said:

If I remember correctly, it was because of his brother Ryousuke who told him that he was not ready for a wooden bat but that if he was able to master using a wooden bat, he'd be able to hit anything.

Hmm I see I think I do have some memory of that conversation, thanks! But then it would sounds like it's a good time for Haruichi to change to aluminium bat though since he's already good with his wooden bat.
Aug 22, 2015 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
Why Ochiai? Seriously? What could you possibly gain from demotivating Haruichi?
Aug 23, 2015 4:39 AM

Feb 2012
when is episode 21?
Aug 23, 2015 6:29 PM

Jul 2009
Being mean to Haruichi is like punching a puppy. I refuse to believe that Ochiai is actually trying to help anyone improve; he's just being evil for fun at this point.

It was good to see Nabe's storyline make some more progress, but I feel like this series is getting Dragon Ball fight level of slow.
Aug 28, 2015 4:54 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I thought maybe Yuki would maybe scold Miyuki, but it was the opposite. Yuki also understands the pressure that Miyuki is going through as the captain, although he says that Miyuki has a lot more on his shoulders. It's nice that Yuki tells Miyuki that Miyuki can talk to him anytime. As for Zono, Isashiki reminded him what it means to be a VP. It's not that Zono was wrong to disagree with Miyuki, but he should've done it differently, and also take care of the team rather than to push everything on the captain. Really interesting development this season regarding team relationships/dynamics.

Wtf is wrong with Ochiai. He thinks that Haruichi has way more talent than Zono, but still says that he won't use Haruichi as long as Haruichi keeps using a wooden bat? Crazy guy. But idk, if a wooden bat is harder to master, would that mean Haruichi will be amazing with a metal bat? Hmm.

I really liked the end part with Nabe and co. What Kataoka said to them about batting or doing things for themselves and not for the team was somehow touching. It's great that he keeps encouraging people to keep improving and to not lose even the smallest amount of hope that they currently hold. It's such a huge contrast in comparison to Ochiai, who doesn't seem to try to understand or build a connection with the kids.
Oct 1, 2015 10:38 PM
Aug 2015
Really late post (and also long time MAL visitor but this isgoing to be a first for me using the forums so hello guys) but as someone who also watches baseball and sports in general I thought he was going to be the foil to Coach Kataoka wherein he brings in some more modern ideas in approaching baseball but nope guy is just out there trying to brown nose his way into a job.

The main beef I have with him that isn't related to Haruichi is the fact that he thinks that the practices are overkill but then goes to say that the injury on Furuya is pretty minor and if he was the coach he'd be playing him a week earlier against medical advice.

Are you fucking kidding me? Its the same guy who even thinks that they should be building around Furuya to make him grow as an ace but then would make boneheaded decisions that could actually jeopardize said player's career. As a guy who prides himself on being soooo radical, his thinking is so backwards and screams counter-intelligence it drives me nuts as a someone who is also a fan of the sport.
Oct 14, 2015 2:42 AM

Jul 2012
Jeez, the manaka is really wanting the readers/viewers to hate Ochiai as much as possible with the obvious contrast between him and Coach Kataoka. No way Ochiai will become the next coach. It would make the show so dislikable.

Sucks that Furuya is hurt, but good news is more playing/screen time for Sawamura :)
Apr 21, 2016 12:58 PM

Jul 2014
As usual, Ochiai is annoying... even more so now than before.

I wish he'd just piss off already Dx He has no right to talk the way he does to the players. Every negative thought he's had for Kataoka's decisions as a coach thus far have also ended up pointless since they work out in the end but he still keeps on with the way he thinks.. ugh... someone should whack him with a bat!
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jan 15, 2017 3:09 PM

Sep 2015
Sergeant bastard needs to seriously stop with his negative ass opinions. Glad those 3 got a talk with the coach and feel better than ever.
Jan 25, 2017 1:55 AM

Jul 2008
got to hell!!!Ochiai!!!
Sep 20, 2018 8:02 PM

Dec 2013
Coach Ochiai is looking villainous!
Apr 7, 2019 12:03 PM

Dec 2017
fuck ochiai. I hope that eijun will prove him wrong.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 7, 2019 1:48 PM

May 2015
Ochiai, go fuck yourself!

Kataoka-san is such a precious couch, those speeches are always so inspiring.
Nov 2, 2019 12:54 AM

Oct 2017
HATE SO MUCH OCHIAI , SUCH A IDIOT WITHOUT FEELINGS!!!

Since the begining I really want see him being beat for a truck, simply just get away our precious team!
Kataoka coach don't leave us alone! That porky it isn't part of Seidou's spirit!
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 12, 2019 8:38 PM

Sep 2018
lol Sawamura's manga buddies xD

Furuya is so cute!!! But I really don't like that coach, Furuya is his favorite but he doesn't care about his health as long as he pitch! Grrrrr

Eijun as responsible pitcher is LOL everything he says and do are always a joke/comedy for me.

How Coach Kataoka can leave Seidou to Coach Ochiai?!!!I hate Ochiai !! How dare him to say bad things to Haruichi!!!
Jun 10, 2021 8:53 PM

Mar 2018
Anyone else noticed that the manga recommended to Sawamura was Chihayafuru? Nice reference.
Nov 1, 2021 4:05 AM

Jul 2015
Making light of Furuya's injury and unfairly critizing Haruichi wooden bat usage, can someone please throw a 160 km/h deadball to Ochiai's head? This together with Kataoka motivating Nabe and the others to keep playing as a real coach should is why Kataoka should stay.

Dec 12, 2021 8:59 PM

Jan 2019
Ugh, Ochiai is such a piece of shit, not surprised he likes so much Furuya who I also dislike
Jul 12, 2023 4:55 PM

Aug 2019
Miyuki is a captain, not a babysitter, Zono needs to understand that. Zono was being really unreasonable. I’m glad Jun had a conversation with him.

Ugh, they’re going against the bubble gum dude 🗿

I don’t like the new assistant captain, but now he’s overdoing it! We cannot risk Furuya’s injury getting worse just because of your stupid views. The main coach actually values his players and is taking care of them. I’m done with this dude, I really hope he doesn’t get anything because he will destroy Seido as a team. 

Oh hell nah, stay away from our Haruichi!! STAY AWAY FROM THE PLAYERS, WHAT TYPE OF COACH TALKS LIKE THAT TO THEIR PLAYERS. NO WONDER YOUR PREVIOUS STUDENT DISLIKE YOU.
Jul 28, 2023 3:32 PM

May 2018
I know what Ochiai's problem is... He doesn't have friends and is a lonely old man; that's why he is like that (-_-). But he's got a point with Harucchi, I guess. I hope to see Harucchi improvement soon.

naruuunaruuuJul 28, 2023 3:35 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2016

139 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 14, 2023 3:40 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2015

35 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 11, 2023 1:23 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25, 2015

47 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 11, 2023 7:49 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2015

55 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 10, 2023 8:01 AM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Second Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2015

85 by nnagi »»
Sep 21, 2023 9:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.