Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 26, 2008 7:06 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Paul got a lucky break getting in good graces with Reinhard. It looks like he'll be used on the side of politics though. I want to see him on a ship. He mentioned early in the episode that Iserlohn can be taken back at any time. I want to know how he expects that to happen. I guess being an advisor again isn't that bad since that's what he was used to.

It was quite a surprise that the Kaiser not only suspects a coup from Reinhard, but he seems to not even care. He doesn't seem as bad as I originally thought since his goals aren't to greedily consolidate his power. He doesn't even give much care in important matters since he didn't bother deciding the fate of the 3 chiefs posts on his own. It's like he's just a puppet king just there to approve the recommendations of his advisors. I wonder if he'll really remain by the wayside and let Reinhard overtake him?

Klaus von Lichtenlade on the other hand doesn't look like he agrees with the Kaiser's sentiments so he'll probably cause some strife along with the 3 chiefs.
tainteddonutMay 26, 2008 7:22 AM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Oct 28, 2008 12:04 PM
Oct 2008
I guess we can tell that Reinhard is very bad at the court intrigue since everyone and their brother suspects his intentions. I've heard the theory that Oberstein thinks that Kircheis is the one that can't keep a secret and that's why he wants to talk to Reinhard alone.
May 30, 2009 11:36 AM

Mar 2008
tainteddonut said:
It was quite a surprise that the Kaiser not only suspects a coup from Reinhard, but he seems to not even care. He doesn't seem as bad as I originally thought since his goals aren't to greedily consolidate his power. (...) I wonder if he'll really remain by the wayside and let Reinhard overtake him?

Yes, it was really surprising... but, to me, it sounds fishy.
And his attendant is definitely gonna cause some mischief..
Jul 25, 2009 11:22 AM

Dec 2008
Arcanus said:
tainteddonut said:
It was quite a surprise that the Kaiser not only suspects a coup from Reinhard, but he seems to not even care. He doesn't seem as bad as I originally thought since his goals aren't to greedily consolidate his power. (...) I wonder if he'll really remain by the wayside and let Reinhard overtake him?

Yes, it was really surprising... but, to me, it sounds fishy.
And his attendant is definitely gonna cause some mischief..

Yeah, the Kaiser is looking too much like a pushover.

Things keep getting more and more interesting.
Jul 27, 2009 2:20 AM

Jun 2009
Seriously impressive episode. The scene where Reinhard told Oberstein of his intentions, as well as the scene at the end of the episode with the Kaiser were fantastic. Not to mention another one of Siegfried's flashbacks.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 4, 2009 2:01 PM

Jan 2009
Good to know the Kaiser's not blind to Reinhard's plans. He also doesn't seem to mind if Reinhard would succeed the throne.

I hope to see more of Oberstein, that machivellian.
Sep 12, 2009 1:39 PM

Nov 2008
Lol Oberstein is really scary.
Nov 9, 2009 6:50 PM

Oct 2009
I never know what to expect when I start an episode of LoGH. This series is keeping me on my toes.

Yeah it's really interesting that the Kaiser accepts that his empire is almost finished. I guess he's more noble than some of the sycophantic aristocrats in his empire. Looks like it's going to be a struggle between Lohengramm and the other subordinates of the Kaiser to see who takes control over the empire.
Dec 19, 2009 5:32 AM

Apr 2009
nice episode..
damn the dialogs pwned.
Dec 28, 2009 10:35 AM

Apr 2009
JuicyBuddha said:
I never know what to expect when I start an episode of LoGH. This series is keeping me on my toes.

This. I did not expect the emperor to know about Reinhard's intentions and to basically say 'yeah, whatever, let's see what he can do.'
And I think it's safe to assume that I'm not the only one who'd never approach Oberstein in real life xP He gives me the creeps.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jul 17, 2010 4:12 PM
Jun 2010
I don't get the connexion between the 3 chief's seat and Oberstein being the new advisor of Reinhard. Someone can fill me in ?

Anyway, good episode. The Kaizer doesn't seem to be another old retarded geezer and I was surprised he knew all along about Reinhard's intention.

Jul 17, 2010 5:23 PM

Jul 2009
supersayen said:
I don't get the connexion between the 3 chief's seat and Oberstein being the new advisor of Reinhard. Someone can fill me in ?.

Reinhard declined one of the seats in exchange for the transfer of Oberstein to his command. Oberstein was going to be court marshaled for deserting his fleet. After allowing the commanders to stay in power, they couldn't refuse even though they are suspicious.
Jul 17, 2010 6:16 PM
Jun 2010
Thanks, it makes more sense now.

Aug 16, 2010 5:40 PM

Jan 2010
is it me or the artwork is getting better?
i mean,the colors are smoother and livelier

another good episode,i liked the little background story in the beggining

so Reinhard is one of those "i want everything" kind-of guys

4/5

PS:i'm still looking for that great episode that'll break the ice for me :),not that the show is bad so far
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Aug 17, 2010 3:40 AM

Sep 2008
clannad4ever said:

animation gets better over time. Its going to be much better by the third season
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 17, 2010 3:32 PM

Jan 2010
eyerok said:
clannad4ever said:

animation gets better over time. Its going to be much better by the third season

sorry i forgot that this took 10 years to make,it's nice too see the graphics getting better,also i hope for some more BGM in future episodes,there are many moments when's just silence,and music makes everything better
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 15, 2010 10:18 PM

May 2010
I am still confused why the three old men is "forced" to resign.

Wow I can't believe I am marathoning this.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 18, 2010 8:53 AM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
I am still confused why the three old men is "forced" to resign.

I think they were forced to submit their resignation because of the loss of isehlorn fortress. As the highest ranking military authority, they were accountable for that loss. Something like that I think...my brothers been watching it recently and I saw some parts of the earlier episodes with him
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 16, 2011 9:26 AM

Dec 2010
And so the intrigue just gets better...who knew the aloof old Kaiser knew Reinhart's intentions, and more surprisongly, didn't really mind? Still, the idea of being the last ruler of an empire has that romantic ring to it, so maybe that idea just appeals to him :-/

Another great flashback to more idealistic days...this just keeps getting better and better :-D
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Mar 12, 2011 10:29 AM

Aug 2009
man I love characters like Reinhard...you know, ambitious and manipulative yet people love them anyway

I think I prefer the political side of this show to the military side so far, considering the blandness of the military technology, I would rather watch the subtle character interactions in episodes like this.
Jul 9, 2011 6:55 AM

Aug 2010
Reinhard taking over the throne?

I am okay with this.jpg
Jul 29, 2011 11:30 PM
Jun 2011
Things are really getting more and more interesting. I liked the little snippet of history at the beginning too...the Free Planets really did a lot in their brief history to be a force in the war.
Aug 14, 2011 11:37 AM
Jul 2010
This episode has some of my favorite scenes. Oberstein and Kircheis beginning their light/shadow dynamic under Reinhard, as well as younger-Reinhard's amazing monologue.

It's interesting that the three Imperial Chiefs had their jobs endangered by a faraway battle in which they played no role, and their jobs saved by a political trade. At no point were their personal abilities taken into account. Like Reinhard said, they're all so concerned with appearances that they don't bother checking performance.
Apr 11, 2012 8:32 PM

Feb 2012
"The stars are no different than they were that night."

There's an episode's worth of meaning packed into that line alone. Power is beginning to shift in the Imperial Court and the strategic cornerstone of the war between the Empire and the Alliance just switched hands...and yet, the stars themselves are ever immutable. All of this is just "another page" in the history of the Galaxy.

It's interesting, then, that Reinhard claims that his ambition is to conquer the universe itself and not the people within it; he even criticized the Imperial nobility for "assuming it's a matter of course to rule over them" in Siegfried's flashback. Is it even possible for his conquest to be "the sea of stars" itself without compromising his own ideals? I've got a feeling that sometime over the next 102 episodes I'm going to be using the words "Reinhard" and "hypocrite" in the same sentence. Especially now that Oberstein is playing the shadow to Kircheis's light.

Incidentally, I wonder when Reuenthal and Mittermeyer are going to start playing a larger role again. I feel like they got more screentime in My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars than in everything since.
May 23, 2012 12:15 AM

Jun 2009
Well, Reuenthal and Mittermeyer get increasingly more important as the plot goes forward they earn their main character status.

Great episode, as I said before the scene between Reinhard and Oberstein as well as the final scene with Kaiser was fantastic. As for Hakuromatsu's quote up there, I can't believe that didn't connect with me like that. Yeah, that is indeed some meaningful dialogue. As expected from LoGH.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 2, 2012 3:48 PM

Mar 2010
the dialogs *_*
Dec 21, 2012 2:23 PM

Aug 2010
-_- ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
Mar 14, 2013 3:40 AM
Sep 2011
From this episode and on, I think LOGH will get a sure 10 from me. Why is that? Because it is definetely a show of a greater ambition, equal to the ambition of a man wanting to rule the whole universe. Certainly, just amazing.
Sep 10, 2013 11:22 PM

Nov 2009
The Kaiser is already aware of the potential mutiny, and furthermore accepts it? That was startling, given the fact that he sore of "bought" Reinhard's sister I figured he would be rather "evil" by normal standards (i.e. he could be smart, and noticed the uprising, but someone who would buy a girl probably would also be partial to the "pleasures" of being on top (booze, food, servants, women, etc.))
Oct 27, 2014 7:01 PM

Mar 2012
Seems pedo Kaiser isn't such a terrible person. Maybe growing old had something to do with it.
Feb 2, 2015 3:19 PM

May 2012
A slower paced episode but still quite interesting! Let's see what's next!
Feb 6, 2015 6:57 PM

Aug 2014
This episode was very good. The characters had a lot of character development. Lohengramm is acting even more like Griffith which is cool because Griffith is one of my favorite characters. I like that he still has his own characters still so he's not the same as Griffith. I like how he is gaining power in the empire. The backstory of the Empire and the Republic were expressed well without dragging on too long.
Apr 30, 2015 11:29 PM

Jan 2013
Great background. No we know this takes place approximately in the year 3500.
Also things are getting interesting, wonder how long this series will span.
May 8, 2015 1:05 PM

Feb 2014
Nice episode. Had some solid development for Reinhardt. Oberstein, and even the Kaiser.

May 23, 2015 5:23 AM
Nov 2014
I like how things are heading, Reinhard's getting more and more power to execute his rebellion plan. Oberstein will be a valuable member for Reinhard's objective, good episode.
Jun 16, 2015 3:29 AM

Dec 2013
Somewhat slower episode but I still enjoyed it. Some decent amount of world buidling. Cool to learn more about Reinhard's ambition. He is sort of reminded me a bit of Griffith towards the end.
Jun 29, 2015 6:14 PM

Feb 2015
Really Reinhard ain't very good at hiding his plans.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2015 12:30 AM

Oct 2013
Solid episode, not much happen but we got to learn more about Reinhard and his ambitions. So far I'm not really interested in Kircheis, since he seems like he's only Reinhard tail that will follow him wherever he goes. Not sure how I feel about that, but looking at it realistically not everyone can be a leader. I however do like that he shows disagreement towards reinhard decisions at times.
Aug 4, 2015 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
3/5
Aug 8, 2015 3:35 AM

Jan 2014
Let it be as magnificently as possible~
Jan 17, 2016 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
It's fascinating how Reinhard utilizes acts of selfless devotion to make good on his own ambitions. "I'll loan their positions out a little longer instead of an old folk's home" LOL @ the snappy remarks they make sometimes.

And with that, the Kaiser became an extremely fascinating character. I had a feeling there'd be more to him than Reinhard painted out, but the fact that he's aware of the schemes and even welcomes revolution should it bear fruit makes him a mind that can't be ignored.
Feb 23, 2016 5:07 PM
Jan 2012
Well, this show only keeps getting better, I have a feeling that I will really get sucked in soon.
Apr 23, 2016 2:09 PM

Jun 2010
Interesting to hear that Reinhard disagrees with the principle of hereditary aristocracy. What does he plan to do with the Empire after he's seized it if not pass it to an heir? Or does he just think he can raise one who deserves the power?

As for hypocrisy, given Reinhard's base motivation is bitterness over the "sale" of his sister it's amazing the way he underlines to Oberstein that he "purchased" and "procured" him to "be of use". Given that Oberstein hates people who look down on him this just might be idiotic arrogance on Reinhard's part.
Apr 23, 2016 6:41 PM

Jun 2013
Fronzel said:
Interesting to hear that Reinhard disagrees with the principle of hereditary aristocracy. What does he plan to do with the Empire after he's seized it if not pass it to an heir? Or does he just think he can raise one who deserves the power?

This issue would be raised up a few more times as the series progresses, so keep an eye for it.

Fronzel said:

As for hypocrisy, given Reinhard's base motivation is bitterness over the "sale" of his sister it's amazing the way he underlines to Oberstein that he "purchased" and "procured" him to "be of use". Given that Oberstein hates people who look down on him this just might be idiotic arrogance on Reinhard's part.

It is not that simple. When Reinhard said "purchased" he meant it in the figurative sense, unlike his father who literally received a bag of gold. In fact, for someone as prideful as Oberstein to appeal to Reinhard showed how critical his situation was at that time. If Reinhard didn't had Oberstein transferred to his admiralty, the latter would have been court-martialled and most likely executed for desertion. Under such circumstances, it is not unreasonable for Reinhard to demand that Oberstein "be of use" to him in exchange for him being rescued from certain death.
May 29, 2016 6:42 PM

Aug 2014
I swear Paul has nothing but trouble written all over him lol.
Jul 15, 2016 7:25 PM

Apr 2012
love this episode.

Trouble in paradise~!

I guess threatening to arrest Oberstein was just a way of testing him; he basically passed by saying "you need dodgy allies"
Nov 14, 2016 5:45 PM

Feb 2015
So Reinhard is basically the Lelouch of the Galactic Empire, huh?

Of course, if we view the historic order correctly, Lelouch is the Reinhard of Britannia, but I think you know what I mean.
Dec 10, 2016 2:44 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Afthe the fall of Iserlohn, now Reinhard has another opportunity to ascend in her dream!!!

Yang try to retired, but finally don´t it, thanks!!!! Because if Yang retired, end of this series xD
Feb 5, 2018 5:50 PM
Nov 2017
The dialogue is superb so far in this show. Reinhard is an absolute mad lad.
Apr 15, 2018 12:55 PM
Sep 2016
Wow. So that’s where the deep end was.

Am I the only one who thinks that “Kaiser” would be better translated as “Fuhrer”? Friedrich appears old, tired and fed up with the games of state that Reinhard has hired Oberstein to play. Fantastic episode, more please!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 42 Discussion

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

42 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 13, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

135 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 10, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 88 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

54 by acuriousmind »»
Sep 7, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

60 by WilliamMinerva20 »»
Sep 6, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

92 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 4, 4:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.