Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 24, 2023 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
Frieren's party fought well in such a cold weather condition. Frieren also stood in front of a monster without any fear and fought like a champ.

It was also interesting to know more about the lore in their world related to a village with swords. They also got to know more about the village chief too. I have to say, this show does a fairly great job at capturing the emotions of their adventure while discovering new people and places.

Nov 24, 2023 6:29 AM

May 2020
I like the distrust Fern has for Stark… just because he’s a guy lol. Not once but twice she refused to hand Frieren over to those big and sturdy hands. Fair enough, but anyways, Frieren was dreaming about Himmel’s hero’s blade, and just like that the trio ended up in the village which quite literally has a history with the hero blade since ages ago.

Ignoring the loli chief of the village and how it took Frieren 80 years to finally make her promise true of returning back to the village of swords… I loved when they finally revealed the true story behind the hero's blade, and how even Himmel COULDN’T PULL IT OUT back then. But the fact remains, he did succeed in slaying the demon lord and became the Hero everyone looks up to, till this day.

In the end, the hero blade is the hero blade because of Himmel, not the other way around. He was and will always be the real deal. Though I hope, Frieren doesn’t forget her 50 year promise this time around:)

Stark may think about boobs upon gazing at the clouds because he’s a guy at the end of the day, but we have to accept he had his share of hardships and heartbreaks in the past. Loved that bit of a backstory, and how Fern took the initiative to gift Stark something on his birthday.

A big hamburger party in the end to celebrate the day. Frieren being the mother she is, is really thoughtful, even if it may not look like it.

"A DRUG THAT MELTS CLOTHES", meme finally made it into the adaptation. Would've been the best birthday present( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Softhenic03Nov 24, 2023 6:34 AM
Nov 24, 2023 6:34 AM

Nov 2010
It was very cute; the sequence Frieren jumped out of the bed.
Nov 24, 2023 6:51 AM

Dec 2021
Even if Himmel couldn't draw the sword, he still managed to defeat the Demon King. He exemplifies true heroism.

Feriern's Party arrived at the Sword Village. Eighty years ago, Himmel pulled out the "Hero's Sword," a weapon that only those destined to repel a calamity capable of destroying the world could wield. They had come to fulfill the duty of exterminating the monsters emerging around this village. As they carry out their mission, memories from the events of eighty years ago start to resurface in the minds of the party. Later, In the Appetit Region, Frieren's Party plans for Stark's eighteenth birthday, deliberating on the ideal gifts for him.

I appreciate the message conveyed in this episode – that heroes aren't predetermined; you become a hero by embodying heroism. When your heroic nature is evident, there's no need for constant validation. It's a heartwarming and insightful perspective. It's intriguing how the original story has become somewhat obscured; people do enjoy playing with history, don't they? Fern is expressing frustration at finding herself the most mature person in their group. It's amusing that Frienen, despite being around for ~1000 years, still exhibits behaviors reminiscent of a 13-year-old at times. This episode stands out as my favorite so far. The humor was genuinely entertaining, and the emotional moments with Stark reflecting on his past added depth. The balance was just right this week, and I hope the series continues to improve. Also, it's a bit frustrating that Fern didn't let Frieren give Stark the potion.

If the issue of Stark's brother doesn't resurface later, I'll assume that he was indeed killed.

Nov 24, 2023 7:31 AM

Apr 2010
Fern having a hard time being honest which is funny to watch.
And we learned a bit about the history of Stark with his birthday and the memories of his brother, i wonder if his dad will still think he is weak the way he is now.
Nov 24, 2023 7:42 AM

Mar 2017
Fern and Stark is gonna be canon for sure. The animation is also still top-notch.
Nov 24, 2023 7:44 AM
Sep 2015
Stark-focused episode is just as good as I expect it to be, and I've a very high expectation for this anime.

Stark is now 18 years old, good news for me! Not that I care about his age since he's hot no matter how old he is. And I'm glad to know that his whole family are hot too, too bad about his family's fate though, even if he doesn't say it directly, I assume he's the sole survivor of that village.

One of the thing I love this is that there are two evidences that can conclude that Stark's mental age might be much younger than his actual age.
The first evidence is directly observed by Fern. He just says boobs and poop like a child would say.
The second evidence, you've to observe by yourself. When he heard a story about how Himmel can't pull the hero sword, and how Frieren defines that the true hero is the one that help everyone, then he immediately help everyone in the next village. This sudden imitation behavior is usually seen in early childhood.
Nov 24, 2023 7:47 AM

Feb 2021
Wait, is Fern actually getting jealous?!?! Or is this just my romance anime crazed brain thinking too much lol. I ship these two so much.
"Is what's written in my grandmother's will" lmao. I do feel bad for her though.
Me to Stark: PULL IT PULL IT PULL IT
12:45 They didn't even have to animate Fern's reflection here but they did. This has such good production.

17:29 Stolz means "Proud". I'm so damn happy that he's actually a good person.
The look on Stark's face at 21:29 broke me.

I love how Fern says "ecchi"

I guess they just left the Sword of the Hero there. That's a bit of a shame.
This anime is soooo good man.
EmbientNov 24, 2023 8:23 AM
Nov 24, 2023 7:53 AM
Apr 2021
Why this episode just feels like 5 minutes
Nov 24, 2023 8:00 AM
Sep 2020
I see anya in this episode lol
Nov 24, 2023 8:01 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
even though i already experienced everything in this episode when i read it, it still hit me pretty hard, it's seriousely a god tier adaptation.
Nov 24, 2023 8:07 AM
Sep 2021
i love it nothing more than that it's so heart warming
Nov 24, 2023 8:10 AM
Jul 2023
Another masterful episode.

Loved how more compelling and nuanced these dead characters are than most of the living ones this season.
Nov 24, 2023 8:15 AM
Jul 2019
i love every single frame of this anime, it just too smooth
Frieren expression and voice is kinda off imo
Nov 24, 2023 8:17 AM

Oct 2017
The starting scene with Frieren falling asleep was so cute. Fern though lol. Another good Himmel backstory, such a great guy. Stark backstory was emotional too. Felt bad for that village chief, never got to meet with Frieren again. The loli chief is cute.

Frieren knows what a guy wants, that getting up from bed scene animation went hard. Fern pouring the potion on her lol.
MegamiRemDec 1, 2023 9:13 AM
Nov 24, 2023 8:37 AM
May 2021
i start this anime just bc someone told me its the best ever... and he is right i love the story , the animaticon... its so beautiful to watch
Nov 24, 2023 8:38 AM
Jul 2017
Himmel not being able to pull the sword but defeated the demonlord still was a big middle finger to Fate itself, that just made him even more badass!!!!
Nov 24, 2023 8:43 AM

Jul 2017
This went by like a breeze, got to learn more about Stark and his upbringing with some touching moments with him and Frieren preparing those hamburg steaks for his birthday as well as his conversation with Fern too. Got a good little dose of action, backstories again, little comedic moments like Fern pouring the clothes dissolving potion all over Frieren and much more. A fairly simple episode but one with plenty of nice moments in it. Even got to see that Himmel wasn't acknowledged as the ultimate hero to save the world Arthurian-style since he couldn't pull out the sword but he wanted to help the world and make a name for himself as a hero regardless and he did that with flying colors. Whatever happens, he's in lore forever for his actions with his party, even if details get lost over time in those stories and he is viewed more and more in a romanticized sense.

Looks as consistent and top-drawer as usual. For a first cour, this has been the most consistent and great one I have seen in a couple years, it's commendable.
Nov 24, 2023 8:46 AM

Jan 2009
himmel was a fake hero eh but he is the definition of fake it until you make it and he become a real hero in the end

the brother of stark is cool i hope he is alive
Nov 24, 2023 8:56 AM

Mar 2023
An episode about nisemono, but really about humanizing the legend. They weren't perfect heros, always with a white cloak that no dirt or blood could latch to. When Stark dirties his brother's cloak, he takes it in stride, as a sign of their bond and his humanity. Humans aren't perfect like in a legend, but flawed and trying their best
Nov 24, 2023 8:57 AM
May 2021
Another goated ep, this animation is beautiful as ever!
Nov 24, 2023 8:59 AM
Apr 2021
SonThanh said:
i love every single frame of this anime, it just too smooth
Frieren expression and voice is kinda off imo

"Every frame a painting".

It really reminds me of Violet Evergarden in how it uplives this concept, even more so than the other similarities between the two series. It feels as if every shot has full attention paid into it.
Nov 24, 2023 8:59 AM

Mar 2021
Fantastic episode with us learning more about Stark and his history it's great to see that his brother was a caring one and didn't discard him Like his father seemed to be doing
Nov 24, 2023 9:01 AM
Nov 2022
A development episode for Stark, gooooooood

Stark's past is quite sad, now it is clear why he always belittles himself, it makes sense that he is like that.

I was surprised by the sword issue, so if Himmel was not the hero, who was/is/will he be?
Nov 24, 2023 9:01 AM
Jul 2020
Stark's brother T^T
Nov 24, 2023 9:04 AM

Jul 2011
So, there's is true hero to appear in the future, and now that Stark had a backstory flashback, I guess that demon will appear soon.

Now, if that potion could dissolve magical equipment, that's some huge waste.

I was that's sad that Stark people around didn't celebrated his birthday, but then Frieren told about the custom, now I'm, Stark is too materialist.
Nov 24, 2023 9:06 AM
Apr 2023
Fern just don't trust poor Steak she doesn't hand over the sleeping Freiren and just keep calling him percent and when Freiren give him the potion she call him percent when Stark don't even know what's that potion
Nov 24, 2023 9:07 AM
Nov 2023
might be the best eps so far imo, or at least one of the best
Nov 24, 2023 9:11 AM
Mar 2022
Cool..10 for this anime
Nov 24, 2023 9:13 AM
Nov 2014
Every time I feel like this show is overrated, it brings out another wonderful episode
Nov 24, 2023 9:18 AM

Mar 2019
First time I see a cloud with boobs, thanks Frieren haha. (⁠≧⁠▽⁠≦⁠)
Nov 24, 2023 9:20 AM
Apr 2021
Reply to Embient
Wait, is Fern actually getting jealous?!?! Or is this just my romance anime crazed brain thinking too much lol. I ship these two so much.
"Is what's written in my grandmother's will" lmao. I do feel bad for her though.
12:45 They didn't even have to animate Fern's reflection here but they did. This has such good production.

17:29 Stolz means "Proud". I'm so damn happy that he's actually a good person.
The look on Stark's face at 21:29 broke me.

I love how Fern says "ecchi"

I guess they just left the Sword of the Hero there. That's a bit of a shame.
This anime is soooo good man.
@Embient
Embient said:

Exactly my reaction lol, they definitely left some foreshadowing in hinting he might pull it, or at least try. Would love to see Stark go from runaway to literally HIM.
Nov 24, 2023 9:25 AM

Feb 2019
If I Speak I’m in big trouble

Jokes aside, there’s several things I really liked about this episode. The amazing group action scene against the Lord who was attacking the hero’s sword, and the use of subversion in this episode.

What makes a true hero? I love that Himmel didn’t pull out the sword. It shakes up the traditional trope of a hero being this chosen prophesied individual. Instead, Himmel went out there and made his dream a reality. Becoming the hero he said he would be.

We contrast that with Stark, who has been labelled a failure by his family and still struggles with confidence. But, like Fern says, the past is irrelevant because he’s always been reliable for them. Very clearly setting him up to one day potentially be the one to pull that sword out.

It’s also really cool to see his brother, who was the strongest in the village and highly respected by all, continue to support and encourage Stark to improve as a warrior. The scene where Stark gets his brother’s robe dirty was brilliant. Seemed like he would get angry, but instead he congratulates his brother and forgets about the purity of the cape, getting it all dirty in the mud by bending down to mentor stark.

They play with perspective a bit during this half of the episode too. Stark tells Fern that he’s never received a birthday gift, when in reality he’s received hamburg steaks from his brother. His very life is also a gift if you think about it since his brother and the others held off the demon encouraging him to escape.

A lot of good directorial and thematic stuff in the episode, but there were also just a lot of downright fun moments. Fern pouring the potion on Frieren, Fern asking Stark what he wants for his bday only to reject the gold bracelet for being too expensive 😂 etc. As usual another masterfully done episode.
Marinate1016Nov 24, 2023 9:39 AM
Nov 24, 2023 9:25 AM
Apr 2022
I'm in awe of how every single episode of this anime has awards worthy direction.
Nov 24, 2023 9:28 AM
Nov 2023
Extremely good weaving in of flashback. Good episode
Nov 24, 2023 9:31 AM

Nov 2021
Frieren is a menace for wanting to give Stark that potion LMAO
Nov 24, 2023 9:31 AM

Jul 2021
This Freiren scene has showed me not only do they share the same VA, they share the same braincells.

Nov 24, 2023 9:39 AM
Aug 2017
Aaaaaand they got me right in the feels again.
Nov 24, 2023 9:39 AM

Jan 2018
The chief of the Sword Village is kinda sus. I don't mean that she might be an enemy but that she probably has some secrets.

So Himmel never pulled the sword from the stone after all. But he still became a hero regardless. Makes me question if the "true" evil is still undefeated. Or maybe that sword is a fake and is simply stuck in that stone forever.

Frieren's gift for Stark was perfect for his 18th birthday. Too bad Fern took it away. :/ But her gift and Frieren's ridiculously big hamburger steaks were probably just as fine and more memorable.

Interesting to learn more about Stark's history. His dad might've been an asshole but at least his brother seemed like a good person. I hope both of them meet again. I don't think his brother being the strongest guy and all is dead. Stark's brother would be proud of him when seeing him in his current state. Just like his master.
Nov 24, 2023 9:43 AM
Aug 2022
Because of this, Fullmetal's score has dropped, bro 😅
Nov 24, 2023 9:44 AM
Aug 2022
The randomness is scary 😅
Nov 24, 2023 9:45 AM
Jul 2009
Reply to LuisSV23
A development episode for Stark, gooooooood

Stark's past is quite sad, now it is clear why he always belittles himself, it makes sense that he is like that.

I was surprised by the sword issue, so if Himmel was not the hero, who was/is/will he be?
@LuisSV23

Himmel is the hero. The sword is not important. It's just a plot device to bring home the message that you don't need a magical sword to be a hero.
Nov 24, 2023 10:02 AM
Oct 2023
happy birth day stark sama.
Nov 24, 2023 10:03 AM
Oct 2019
This episode was incredible, the interaction between the brothers was beautiful and this potion hahaha, go ahead Stark!
Nov 24, 2023 10:03 AM

Mar 2020
A birthday for best boy Stark, as the journey through the north continues...

Yet another amazing episode, with the first half giving more lore around the world, and some more background on Himmel that was great. It said a lot about how the story of a hero changes over time, not about their failures, but their successes. The second half was awesome and wholesome as well, as Fern and Frieren gave Stark presents for his birthday. Not gonna lie, that part with the hamburg steaks got me to tear up a little. Such a great balance between humor and emotional moments so far in this series, and I hope that continues, because right now, it's clicking perfectly.

Nov 24, 2023 10:06 AM
Aug 2021
This shit masterpiece
Nov 24, 2023 10:07 AM
Handler One

Jan 2023
I find it really funny that Frieren was toughing out (sorta) the weather in the snowy mountains but back in episode 4, she mentioned it was "so cold" when she and Fern were cleaning up the beach during the winter season.

That scene of the Hero's party moving while Frieren is standing still and watching them is SUCH good use of imagery, reinforcing the nature of time. I can't get enough of Fern's and Stark's chemistry, it's so fun and hilarious. Stark with those hand movements and Fern's pout face with calling him a perv, poor Stark. Love the look and design of the Village of the Sword.

"Future generations always romanticize heros, to the point that their original nature eventually disappears" Now this is very true yet unforgiving, with many often embellishing the achievements of an individual. A hero is still human, they don't have superhuman feats or legendary abilities. They are just a person and one with flaws, working to try their best with what they have. Even Himmel at first wasn't seen as a hero by the sword, but he still strived to bring peace and tranquility by defeating the Demon King with nothing but himself and what he has, a feat that he and the party completed in 10 years time. A hero is defined not just by their achievements, but their actions to reach said achievements. A valuable message and view, one that is often understated.

This is what I've been waiting for this entire episode, Frieren jumping out of bed to grab a lewd potion. I mean with Fern dumping so much of the potion on Frieren, it WAS coming. The insight on Stark's past is equally of importance, even though he had a tougher upbringing to him having to run away from his village, who knows what he must've done and endured in the years since to the point where we first saw him in his introduction episode. As Eisen pointed out, "Everyone who works hard is a warrior", and that is very fitting for Stark.

Speaking of potion, how is there some left over since Fern dumped the entire thing on Frieren. Anyway, another brilliant episode.
Have a wonderful Frieren Friday :]
BitChillyNov 24, 2023 10:18 AM

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Nov 24, 2023 10:12 AM

Jul 2016
"Everyone who works hard is a warrior."
I get he's a warrior, but does every single line dropped by Eisen have to cut so deep?

They jam packed so many sweet character moments in this episode that I can't pick a favorite. Cool teamwork against the lord, Frieren's idea of a good gift, everything about Fern, just the concept of Eisen's huge birthday burgers, the reveal that Stark didn't truly want to flee... I loved all of it.
Nov 24, 2023 10:30 AM

Apr 2022
Fuck, I cried over hamburg steak

This episode hit me hard man...
felixsifuriNov 24, 2023 10:34 AM
Nov 24, 2023 10:39 AM

Jan 2021
Frieren had so much energy when she pulled out that clothing dissolve potion. She was like a kid it made me laugh so hard. She learned a valuable lesson from Flamme that men are more degenerate than we think. Going on the kid thing she gets sleepy in the cold and has to be carried by Fern. I think its only because she's a 1000 years old, she's young by elf standards we know that now thanks to the elf from the last episode.

I love this series, so much happened yet it flowed so natural into each other. I'd like to talk about it all but I think Frieren really captured my attention in this episode. She was just so funny and adorable, this series gets more funny as you watch it.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» most likely different staff and studio as other anime like dungeon meshi, kaiju 8, mushoku tensei already have sequels fast

deg - Yesterday

29 by Gavinmercer »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Most Hype Moment?

kingsley_017 - Jun 29

26 by canadasnow »»
7 hours ago

» So when does it get more interesting? ( 1 2 3 )

Nocturne18 - Feb 14

101 by Menternor »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

857 by ArfiKun »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Do you like Übel's armpits? ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - Mar 18

92 by Zarutaku »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.