Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 2022 9:55 AM

Jul 2017
Acclaimed female mangaka George Asakura's ballet series, and with MAPPA's experience on Yuri!!! on Ice though the character designs are way too close to Ballroom e Youkoso quality (not designed by the character designer of Ballroom), makes for one perfect marriage.

YUKI makes a triumphant return from 3-gatsu no Lion, and this OP is HOLY.

MC Jumpei Murao's life as a martial arts boy but with the skills of a male ballet dancer (also called the Danseur), and it's easy to be bullied for a male doing a female activity. And this girl Miyako Godai is being smitten by the way that he does ballet (that unfortunately Murao sees it as Jeet Kune Do: a martial art to a crappy sport), that she ropes him to her ballet studio knowing his potential, but her mother wrote his Don Quixote off as not being part of ballet.

And of course, Murao comes back for vengeance, which Miyako's mother obliged to teach him true ballet and to become a true ballet dancer. As vehement that Murao can be, Old Hag Luou just can't let him go, because with Murao she has instigated renewal with him to sign him up into a ballet festival.

Oh man, the pacing in this feels wack, 5 chapters at one go. I hope this doesn't affect the enjoyment going forward.
KANLen09Apr 9, 2022 10:58 AM
Apr 8, 2022 9:55 AM

Jun 2019
Well, here it is. This one might go under the rock for many reasons. One of them being cuz it's a ballet show. But, honestly, I'm not expecting it to blow me out of the park but for now, it was an alright start. The characters seem interesting enough. Junpei is cool. I'm more interested in Miyako. She's really pretty.

As for the animation, it looks great, for now. I hope it stays this way throughout the show. I've faith in George Asakura's work, so I'm sticking with this one for sure. And, then it's MAPPA. So...
Apr 8, 2022 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
This episode/show feels kinda inspiration with male MC getting the vibe of doing ballet again. It looks like the first episode gives an insight on some of his past and passion for ballet.

Junpei seems like a well rounded guy. Another character I think worth taking notice is Miyako Godai, who has a graceful appearance but also can be a tough girl. Solid start for introducing the story and characters. Junpei definitely has talent and I want to see this show bring out his character to the fullest.
Apr 8, 2022 11:52 AM

Nov 2014
I don't like romance but I love ballet, is this worth it?
Quality Queen.
Apr 8, 2022 12:57 PM
Jan 2017
Mappa made the characters more beautiful
Apr 8, 2022 1:21 PM
Sep 2015
This anime will succeed where Ballroom can't due to its superior animation. Don't get me wrong, Ballroom is very high quality anime, but due to its nature of the story which is a competition of human's movement, the movement need to be precisely executed. This is where Ballroom failed. I don't see any problem with Danseur yet.

But let's say Danseur's quality can't be sustained throughout the season, it still has the secret weapon, yes, the gender role and expectation on gender, especially in the age that doesn't fully develop gender security like teenager. Ballet is usually linked to a feminine side. But not every country is the same. For example, in my country Ballet is a rare activity so most people don't know if Ballet should link to feminine or masculine, but Valleyball is linked to feminine, in fact, my country stereotype Valleyball as a sports for queer.

In this episode you can see that his father (which unfortunately passed away, I'll talk about this in later discussion if I still remember) even concern if his son might swing that way because the father link ballet to feminine. But when the father see how happily his son dance, he's like "my son's happiness take the first priority, and my duty is to support him".
Now there's also many aspect, like Junpei's friends reaction if they found out Junpei want to be a ballet dancer. I think some of them will understand, especially the closest one in soccer club that love to record a video of interesting thing. Junpei deserves so much support, if I can be there I'd hug him immediately.
Apr 8, 2022 1:40 PM

Dec 2016
Simply phenomenal.

Another show I had very high expectations and they were met in surplus.

I'm quite impressed by the fluid sakuga during the key moments to show up actual motion and not just slides like a lot of "sports" shows do. That and some really great framing in closeups that gives more depth to the characters (in this case Murao) without the need of lenghty inner monologues to brief the audience.

The whole "aha" or epiphany moment in anime is quite common, specially in "sports" anime, but I believe in here there's a really great twist by subverting the expectation and providing a different path for Murao because of his father's death. There's also the whole stigma of boys doing a girls dance, that I do hope becomes an even bigger thing to surpass in the long run.

A little bit fast in terms of story progression, but I still feel that it does well enough to present the main characters and establish a short term goal along with hurdles to suprass in Lou's case.

I'm also having big expectations for Kaede Hondo voicing Miyako, since this looks like it's going to be the rare if not the only serious character I've seen her play.

I'm pretty sure more than one will draw paralels to Billy Elliot movie.
KimurahApr 8, 2022 1:48 PM
Apr 8, 2022 2:08 PM

Feb 2019
I expected to spend most of this post distracted by the lanky designs, but it turned out to be the white line through the pupils that I couldn't get out of my head. I've seen no-noses, random polygons, excessive glitter irises, Clamp lankiness obviously, but random white semi-circle? That feels like a new weird stylistic tic. Which isn't to say that the proportions also weren't weird. Especially in the scene with the kids. Even if we say that every character is about six feet tall, those children would measure about a foot and a half. They're like evil little mogwai roaming about.

But it is still a dumb club show, emphasis on dumb. An upsettingly well animated one, mind you, but the protagonist is an overreacting twit who yells in reaction to everything, and explodes into sparklies at the sight of any ballet. Being a dispassionate, cold blooded iguana myself, it just makes me roll my eyes. Kids. And dare I mention the emo dude who keeps himself locked in a dark room doing ballet until told of a rival who can challenge his sheer ballet-ness? Well, that's next episode, so probably not, but I'd rather bring him up than dwell on the protagonist yelling, or joining ballet from a mix of watching one dude giving him a raging dance boner and being randomly dared to do it.
Apr 8, 2022 2:16 PM

Jul 2011
This anime is really interesting, but darn it, the white stroke on the eyes bother's me so much.
Lets see who will be stronger, this anime overall or my hate for that aesthetic choice.
Apr 8, 2022 2:18 PM

Nov 2016
The opening has that certain something, good to hear YUKI again after a quite a while.

And yep, pretty much the most promising start so far. The top notch direction is simply captivating. It's aesthetic, it's dynamic, it's energetic and it makes you want to watch more. Compared to many low effort original sport series which are the norm it's a divine blessing.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 8, 2022 2:24 PM

Aug 2018
And so Junpei returned to practice ballet.
It's good, I liked the 1st chapter. The opening is good.
Apr 8, 2022 2:58 PM

May 2021
Boy wishes to do ballet but can't because of societal reasons and because he must build up the image of a man for the sake of his family. A fine concept but I feel like they're rushing it a bit. Hopefully isn't much of a problem down the line.

Apr 8, 2022 3:41 PM
Dec 2020
There’s no romance in the tags but theMc already likes some??? If there’s romance in this I don’t think I can watch
Apr 8, 2022 4:53 PM
Feb 2021
I'm really impressed with the start of this anime. It is really well animated as expected from MAPPA and has smooth and relaxing atmosphere to it. I have never really been interested in ballet but this makes it look interesting. I'm looking forward to next weeks episode :)
Apr 8, 2022 6:02 PM

Aug 2020
Where is the episode 2? I need it so badly. The first moments captured me as if I'm watching Ballroom E Youkoso all over again. It literally has the same vibes that gave me goosebumps and teary-eyes. Man, this is one of those passionate thing you wanna do. Definitely a great show. I'm so impressed. And the opening song is also from YUKI, one of my favorite anime op artists. Such a banger song

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 8, 2022 6:32 PM
May 2021
These eyes are gonna take some getting used to...random curved white line is distracting af. And why so droopy?

Also, why was the second ML's name changed from Ruou to Luou?
XO2HKIMApr 8, 2022 7:44 PM
Apr 8, 2022 6:43 PM

Jul 2015
love this already!!!!
the only thing i didn't like is this white line in the eyes
Apr 8, 2022 8:13 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Found the art style to be a little unsettling at first, but it's so pretty. I love that they show the many sides and reluctances of boys in ballet--and how it's shaped MC's persona, even though he hasn't gotten rid of that love for ballet. I can already tell this will be an addicting show. Even though it's not at all the same, (other then the theater/entertainment genre), I feel like I'm going to love it as much as Kageki Shoujo. Pretty art, deep societal stuff, and also just a pretty moving plot. Can't wait to learn more about ballet anyhow.
Apr 8, 2022 8:14 PM

Sep 2021
thats was an interesting first chapter, especially beacuase i dont like dancing in rl but this actually hooked me so i will continue watching, u didnt like that White line in the eyes kinda distract me, the op was really good, especially the visuals, the song is decent for me, really looking for next week.

And do anyone know how many chapters will this have?
Apr 8, 2022 8:54 PM

Jun 2013
What's Gearless Joe doing here
Apr 8, 2022 10:21 PM

Mar 2016
Finally, an anime about a danseur! I like them so much more than ballerinas because of how danseurs challenge the way we view masculinity.

I wish they showed the man's performance a bit differently at the start. They mostly cropped him, and made it look like he was just flailing around in slow motion. Ballet is quite beautiful when we get to see the way the dancer's whole body moves.

Thought the OP was sung by nano.RIPE! lol.

The art is so cute. Maybe a bit too thin, but I'll get used to that part soon, I think.

The mum and sister seem supportive. I like how the sister is the one who quit ballet for sports, and the brother is the one who'll quite sports for ballet.

Godai looks a bit out of place in this story's world. As if she just exists to move the story forward. I hope she feels more human later.

Ruou looks like he'll be a lot more interesting than Junpei.

I think this is the third story where I have seen ballet and boxing happening at the same time. First was Billy Elliot, and the second was Salad Days. I love both of them so much!
Apr 8, 2022 10:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I enjoyed the episode, a lot of scenes certainly felt magical, and it was nice to see how much Junpei loves ballet. I don't mind that he's still in denial due to his past, he's going to get past that, hopefully sooner better than later.

What I didn't really like is Junpei's attitude towards Miyako's mom. Sure she wasn't the nicest towards him either, but he calls the mom "baba" (and even "kuso baba" once), which is incredibly disrespectful especially since he barely knows the lady. I find him a bit unlikable half because of his fixation on how he thinks Miyako may like him, as well as all the shouting he does. I have to admit it could also be because I don't like Yamashita Daiki's loud lines, so I end up not liking Junpei too much. I do still think it's fun to see him dance and enjoy ballet dancing, though. As long as he's quiet :')

I'm interested in seeing Junpei's improvement and the characters performing together!
Apr 9, 2022 1:50 AM
Mar 2021
This often happen in George Asakura's comment section since she sometimes make elementary and middle school character, so just reminding people that they are in middle school so it explain their childish behavior.

I am really glad one of George Asakura's manga is seinen so it's easier to become anime unlike her other manga that usually become live action movie and drama because it's shoujo/josei so I can see her character moving in anime form.

The art is good as expected of Mappa, I also feel the indescribable emotion I often get when reading Asakura's manga by looking at their movement especially eyes and the atmosphere. I just hope they can keep this quality especially in later episode when it will be a bit dark.

I am also looking forward to see the character development and see their ballet.

Funny story, I just want to see the story telling so I randomly decide to read from chapter 44 and it's actually dark and in chapter 48, I am about to cry. It's that good. I am afraid MAPPA can't bring that atmosphere and emotion to the anime version but just hope for the best.
Alice0006Apr 9, 2022 2:48 AM
Apr 9, 2022 2:19 AM
Dec 2021
aaah its finally released!!😫

i think the 1st ep was great! the animation was rlly *chefs kiss*, the character designs are so prettyyyy, and the "i want to be ballet but it's not manly" is so interesting goshh i cant wait to see the mc's development 👀

i hope I'm not the only one noticing the quick pacing however, kinda got me confused 🏃 excited to see the next episode!
l0velynnApr 9, 2022 2:23 AM
Apr 9, 2022 2:30 AM

Sep 2008
This was a very positive surprise.
Just the name of the anime made me go bleh.
The only reason I gave it a shot was because the Seinen tag.
I was very happily proved wrong, this was well worth watching.
Maybe even the best of spring season!

I had no problem with the art or style.
Well I am stoked for more.
Apr 9, 2022 2:31 AM

Jan 2021
A decent start so far. Liked it!
Apr 9, 2022 7:27 AM

Jun 2013
I loved this first episode!
Apr 9, 2022 8:22 AM

Oct 2018
The best thing about this was the art design and I'm surprised to see Mari Fujino involved with this. The OP was excellent having the POV and the swift running sequence. As for the actual anime, the movements are hindered by the clumsy CG and with ZLS director on the board, it's only going to worse from here. There's also water bubbles under the protagonist's eyes, I wonder why that's a thing. Next episode will introduce the emo kid, hopefully, the character dynamic stays strong.
Apr 9, 2022 10:31 AM

Nov 2019
Quite a lot covered in the first episode, but nice to see that Junpei has the courage to reignite his passion for ballet even though its not a 'manly' activity
Apr 9, 2022 11:17 AM

May 2021
tingy said:
What I didn't really like is Junpei's attitude towards Miyako's mom. Sure she wasn't the nicest towards him either, but he calls the mom "baba" (and even "kuso baba" once), which is incredibly disrespectful especially since he barely knows the lady. I find him a bit unlikable half because of his fixation on how he thinks Miyako may like him, as well as all the shouting he does. I have to admit it could also be because I don't like Yamashita Daiki's loud lines, so I end up not liking Junpei too much. I do still think it's fun to see him dance and enjoy ballet dancing, though. As long as he's quiet :')

Well he is a middle schooler so that part shouldn't be too surprising
Apr 9, 2022 1:16 PM
Oct 2020
First ep was kinda fast-paced but still liked it.

It was a cute intro.

The opening was also very charming.

will stick to it for now. Let's see how it goes.
Apr 9, 2022 2:19 PM

Feb 2020
horrendous 1st person pov opening spooked me but overall it seems like a decent, if a bit childish, first episode. I like Miyako enough to make up for the annoying mc. I know he's a middle schooler but the trope of 'character expressing their passion for something with inane sound effects and sparkles' pisses me off
Apr 9, 2022 6:40 PM
Aug 2020
The animation looks so good and crispy! and the characters are beautiful

I low-key can feel how the events are gonna roll but imma still watch it
Apr 9, 2022 7:02 PM
Aug 2019
opening really cool, they use first person perspective
Apr 9, 2022 7:05 PM

Dec 2019
Breathtaking episode. I see some people saying it was rushed, and it wasn't perfect in my opinion, but Dance Dance Danseur definitely has AOTY potential. Can't stop thinking about it. Literal goosebumps.
KayY_YApr 9, 2022 7:27 PM
Apr 10, 2022 3:04 AM

Dec 2020
BALLET SHOWWW!!!! excited for this one :D

some moments were a bit ? eh? but im reaaally liking this. just by the first ep too, which i didnt expect at all.

i hope there wont be a jumpei vs lou(?) kinda thing for winning the godai's heart and bc of the poster, that's probably inevitable so i rly hope it doesn't last long.

im looking forward to him being proud of being a ballet dancer. after closing it off and looking down on it because of society standards and to be "more of a man" after his father died at a young age, surely it'll be satisfying to see him get out of that hole.
Apr 10, 2022 5:06 AM

Oct 2008
ballet dude!?!? let's see what MAPPA has to offer!
5/5.

Apr 10, 2022 6:59 AM

Dec 2015
i'm excited for this one, i loved the first episode!!
Apr 10, 2022 12:12 PM

Dec 2016
I mean, the design is not that great, but I will still give this a try cuz I love ballet :) Nice episode!

RAWRfizzz said:
I don't like romance but I love ballet, is this worth it?

The anime is only drama, so yes, you should give this one a try ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Apr 10, 2022 12:52 PM
Jul 2020
My favorite premier so far, very charming if you can tolerate the character designs.
Apr 10, 2022 1:35 PM
Apr 2018
Possible Dark Horse for this Season- One of the best starting episodes- top 3 for sure. Yes the characters have white in their eyes... so what?
Apr 10, 2022 1:44 PM
Jan 2016
Professional ballet dancer here to tell y'all that the dancing in it so far is pretty good as far as accuracy goes. This also includes the reason a good number of straight guys get into ballet- to be around beautiful women lol (no really, I can name at least 3 male teachers and colleagues who confirmed this for me.)
Apr 10, 2022 3:17 PM

Jun 2019
Solid sport shounen. The art style is a bit dated and I don’t like the eyes, but the dance sequences look good and the set up was done well.
Apr 10, 2022 6:28 PM
Oct 2019
This anime reminds me so much of Ballroom e Youkoso! Is the mangaka the same person?
The character, the cheerfulness, the premise.. (that posture correction tho! So much like Ballroom e Youkuso!), and since I like Ballroom e Youkoso so much (I wish there's season 2), so I'm liking this already.

But! In my opinion, Dance Dance Danseur feels more sparkly than Ballroom e Youkuso.. That's MAPPA to you *cheers*

I'm here for the ballet anyway, so I hope there's no romance. I mean.. Hopefully the story is focused on the ballet. Although it's actually funny to see Junpei internal thought lol

Oh! The opening is really GOOD~

Can't wait for the next episode (and hear Ucchi's voice as Luou)~~~
Apr 10, 2022 6:53 PM

Aug 2019
The fact that he stopped doing what he loved because of the stupid toxic masculinity

Okay but the guy from the beginning was freaking hot

Also, I love the mom!! She’s beautiful and funny!!
Apr 10, 2022 7:38 PM

Jul 2016
Take a shot every time someone says "Jeet Kune Do".

Overall, solid start but pacing sure felt notoriously fast. Also damn, I didn't realize they were all middle-schoolers.
Apr 10, 2022 7:50 PM

Jan 2011
anime about why Toxic masculinity sucks and ballet

i will gladly watch this because we are never getting a new ballroom season

art style has a rougher look to it and designs do look like some old callbacks but at the same time it looks close to ballroom as well lol

will watch this solid first episode OP was really cool to with the POV
Apr 10, 2022 11:05 PM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I'm just hoping the main character calms down after a while. These stereotypical gender roles just to break them later seems like old school to me so idk what to think yet.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Apr 11, 2022 1:36 AM

Nov 2010
That was impressive, I want more. The only slight problem I can see is that the animation needs to keep this level (Ballroom fell incredibly short, but they also had a few really well done scenes, but unsynced music and still pictures destroyed the flow of the 'action' there) and that the characters are pretty annoying so far (understandable because they are young, and a boy doing ballet is indeed a huge hurdle to get over, especially given the situation with his dad). I really don't want an angsty teenager love triangle, Ballroom handled that part really well, and I hope they will too.
Apr 11, 2022 2:51 AM
Jan 2017
the use of cgi at the beginning was very good, that's what I expected from MAPPA, I hope they don't use it when the attack on titan is made,,

In my opinion, the character design is very strange, especially the eyes are really disturbing.
overall is like a merger between AOT and Jujutsu kaisen into one,
and I had the wrong idea that the dance coach was Mikasa...

I don't think I'm going to continue watching this,,
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2022

88 by Hoshi14 »»
Apr 21, 7:19 AM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 3, 2022

45 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 27, 2022

59 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 11:29 PM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 20, 2022

33 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Dance Dance Danseur Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 13, 2022

30 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
Feb 1, 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.