Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 5, 2018 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, it's about time this aired. Announced awhile ago, got delayed for seasons, and now here.

I haven't read the LN but it seems like the atmosphere of the show has a grim feel to it. The OP song is okay I guess, kinda generic though. I'm not sure I find the main characters interesting yet and the story feels all over the place at the moment. At least the production quality looks decent (I guess the time gap helped with it)

Anyways, I got mixed thoughts on the first episode so hope it will be better. In the meantime, I feel like this first episode is setting up for rest of the season. At least the weapons so far looks neat in terms of their design. The TV version had some censors so I hope the BD/DVDS won't. That ending...damn.
Apr 5, 2018 11:55 AM
Apr 2017
Where do you watch the First Episode ? (Stark700)
Apr 5, 2018 12:03 PM

Nov 2011
Aardman123 said:
Where do you watch the First Episode ? (Stark700)

Well, it's up on Crunchyroll now. Aired on TV earlier.
Apr 5, 2018 12:06 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Characters and powers seemed how a common sorcerer or similars of others animes but the change was the world, a destroy world and this dark atmosphere impossible to breathe!!!
The animation quality could be better!!!
The development was enough attractive, between action and characters/story introducing to desire to watch the second!!! kekeke
Apr 5, 2018 1:18 PM

Sep 2016
what a garbage C-tier anime
I'll just grab the yoshino nanjo's OP theme and go away
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 5, 2018 1:25 PM

Nov 2016
Hmm,it was ok at best,some aspects could interest me,but continuing this seems like a big gamble. Will give it another episode and decide if I drop or not,cause I want to see Gaius encountering the serial killer.

GangsterCat said:
what a garbage C-tier
anime

That's one way to say it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 5, 2018 1:27 PM

Mar 2016
With the below average animation, ridiculous names, exposition dump introduction and nonsensical "science" (Within just one minute, this series manages to spout more bullshit jargon than Einstein on LSD could in an hour) this raises pretty much every red flag that commonly marks a bad LN adaptation.

This doesn't even deserve 20 minutes of my time, so I'm just not gonna bother with it.
KnockatorApr 5, 2018 1:30 PM
Apr 5, 2018 1:39 PM
Dec 2017
Thought this would a dumb anime, but it's actually pretty interesting. Not the best for a LN adaptation, but I will continue on for sure if it gets better. I definitely like the battle scene against the semi-altar. However, the characters could get pretty boring and mediocre, especially the protagonist. He's a little bit too nerdy and angsty for me, probably more of a bitch than his partner. I like his partner and wished they treated his partner better than just a purely bland warrior who worshipped his tradition. Hopefully that could happen later on. Also, the villain, the mysterious woman, is someone I definitely look forward too.

P.S. I think this anime would get negatively viewed on because there are no waifu wars. It's pretty sad people only look up to magical anime when there are waifus....
Dreamer_Plague7Apr 5, 2018 2:04 PM
Apr 5, 2018 1:51 PM

Feb 2015
I don't know how I feel about this yet, some of the designs seemed pretty cool but the story was all over the place.
Apr 5, 2018 1:53 PM

Jun 2015
This was a decent first episode. The fight against the that black dragon was pretty cool. Got some world building and the characters are okay.
Apr 5, 2018 2:19 PM

Apr 2009
As usual, complete LN trash.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 5, 2018 2:46 PM

Jan 2017
It was fairly good first episode
Apr 5, 2018 2:48 PM

Jan 2015
GOTTa be the MOST BORING first episode i've seen in such a while, im actually so mad since i've been looking forward to it since its the studio (seven arcs) that i follow, i dont know WHAT were they thinknig, making this crap? Im sure im not the only one who thinks that the first episode wasnt compelling even in the slightest and it didnt introudce its "charm point" Fuck it, if anything it didnt show anything. They threw at us such useless scenes that are just not the ones you want to see in the 1st episode.

The "attempts" at comedy failed miserably too.
Anyway not only the episode didnt produce anythign interesting so it was boring as hell, but i also dont see any future in this anime. Characters are not likable in the slightest, world.... well im sure world-building will be very disappointing. Also no cute girls. WTf seven arcs? Just with respect to this studio, i will keep on watching till the end and hope for the best.

Also OP and ED were ...... i didnt like them at all ;-; even less motivation now.
Apr 5, 2018 3:28 PM

Nov 2013
Disappointed D: The only part with bullshit "physics" was the voiceover at the start D: What am I even watching for if not that?
Apr 5, 2018 4:07 PM
Aug 2016
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/04/03/dances-with-the-dragons-is-so-dark-its-fans-cant-believe-it-got-an-anime

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?s=c30eb1d8ecf1fc91db97d2b0a198f9c9&t=144618&page=5

Seems like source material is series of LN that has sort of cult following in Japan and inspired bunch of famous dark LN writers like the guy who wrote Re:Zero,but it also said to be one of the hardest LN to adapt properly and the first episode kinda shows it-it's way to complicated and grand for the studio Seven Arcs to handle,shame no LN have any English translations.I kinda liked the first episode but it really felt like studio struggling hard with this show
Apr 5, 2018 4:39 PM
Jul 2018
Not really bad and felt too mysterious/strange with that cliffhanger and undeveloped characters so I didn't feel too connected to the show's storytelling yet but I was bit entertained though. I'd say the show is trying to be cool. OP song was too meh despite decent production quality. Most importantly, the names are really weird :\

removed-userApr 5, 2018 4:44 PM
Apr 5, 2018 4:52 PM

Jun 2017
tbh i got a feeling that this show will be like many other "fail" action anime that on their final episode it will not ended with a conclusion but with next open arc that have questionable future to be adapted or not
linuaApr 5, 2018 4:59 PM
Apr 5, 2018 5:07 PM
Feb 2018
Heard this show was supposed to be super dark and how come it recieved such a low score
Apr 5, 2018 5:21 PM

May 2015
Not really an impressive start. I guess it was OK. But eh, this is going to be a tough watch if it doesn't get any better than this.

Apr 5, 2018 5:52 PM

Oct 2013
The good:

- The two main characters have enough potential to be interesting enough both individually and enough chemistry to provide some fun banter, which is important cuz they'll prob have to carry this show if it wants to be any good at all;

The bad:

- That was one of the most atrocious expositions I saw in a damn long time. Enough to make me not bother trying to read even half of it. If this is how this anime's gonna do it's world building then it's got some serious issues...

But yea,it's either the main two characters carry it or bust, IMO.
Apr 5, 2018 5:57 PM

May 2015
Holy crap that was awful..thata all ive got
Apr 5, 2018 6:03 PM

Apr 2012
Very boring so far, absolutely nothing to care about. No real hook to keep me interested, even the supposed cliffhanger is not great. If the fight scenes are dull as the dragon fight, there is not even a reason to watch for the action.
Apr 5, 2018 6:05 PM

May 2009
It's adaptation of LN that started in 2003 so no wonder it feels dated. Also CR has been shilling it hard
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/04/03/dances-with-the-dragons-is-so-dark-its-fans-cant-believe-it-got-an-anime
"Berserk of LNs"
Apr 5, 2018 6:08 PM

Jan 2011
the animation is quite stiff
Apr 5, 2018 6:31 PM

Mar 2012
Knockator said:
With the below average animation, ridiculous names, exposition dump introduction and nonsensical "science" (Within just one minute, this series manages to spout more bullshit jargon than Einstein on LSD could in an hour) this raises pretty much every red flag that commonly marks a bad LN adaptation.

This doesn't even deserve 20 minutes of my time, so I'm just not gonna bother with it.

Pretty much. Might give episode 2 a try, but I'll likely end up dropping this entirely.
Apr 5, 2018 6:32 PM

Apr 2016
L0ken said:

https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?s=c30eb1d8ecf1fc91db97d2b0a198f9c9&t=144618&page=5

Seems like source material is series of LN that has sort of cult following in Japan and inspired bunch of famous dark LN writers like the guy who wrote Re:Zero,but it also said to be one of the hardest LN to adapt properly and the first episode kinda shows it-it's way to complicated and grand for the studio Seven Arcs to handle,shame no LN have any English translations.I kinda liked the first episode but it really felt like studio struggling hard with this show

That could explain how difficult it was for me to understand how the magic worked. The exposition in the beginning was very unclear and came off as generic.
Apr 5, 2018 6:33 PM

Jul 2017
chanmyse said:
the animation is quite stiff

Supposedly true, the seasonal delays keep pushing this one back and it honestly feels outdated to most anime coming out today.
Apr 5, 2018 6:37 PM

Apr 2016
I don't understand how they got this "power" due to the poor exposition at the start. It failed to build the rules of its universe by info dumping at the very start. A good show would slowly ease it's viewers into how it's magical power of the week worked in about 1 or 2 episodes instead of the first 2 minutes. They just dumped a massive explanation at the start and than BOOM, on to the action. The two main characters are ehhh..?? I guess. They're pretty boring so far. Art is nice, animation is average. I hope this show get's better because apparently, the light novel has a cult following in Japan.
Apr 5, 2018 6:46 PM

Mar 2009
Yuck at all the pseudo-science and techno-babble in the beginning. I hate that shit.

I understood nothing. Dragons, magic, people that hunt the dragons. That's all I got.

bastek66 said:
It's adaptation of LN that started in 2003 so no wonder it feels dated. Also CR has been shilling it hard
"Berserk of LNs"

Knowing how this usually works, the anime will probably remove all the "dark" scenes.
MormegilApr 5, 2018 6:49 PM
Apr 5, 2018 7:11 PM

Apr 2013
There were some unnecessary and annoying scenes, but for an exposition episode, it was decent. People might find it boring and confused because all of the sudden info dump, but I don't really mind with those as long as they take more time explaining it in the future episodes. So yeah looking forward to enjoy the series
Apr 5, 2018 7:22 PM

Jan 2017
This was a pretty bad first episode. I didn't know what I was getting myself into by starting this series, but I regret it already.

Apr 5, 2018 8:12 PM

Jul 2017
Not a good start if I'm honest. The story so far felt like a mess and the animation is below par compared to many other shows.
Apr 5, 2018 10:26 PM

May 2017
Average start, at least the MC is not your typical MC and he went alpha on his elf girlfriend, nice it's interracial
Apr 5, 2018 11:18 PM
Jul 2017
1:30 in and i'm already done with the fuckin'edgy chuunibyou technobabble
Apr 6, 2018 1:36 AM

Apr 2016
I like it so far.. The story seems interesting
And the ED..OMG so amazing.. Maon Kurosaki with another masterpiece

Apr 6, 2018 2:42 AM

Feb 2017
10 minute watch , and i dont even know what am i watching and why i watching it.
Throw everything in the first ep or even in the first fucking monologue.
Mouth animation so bad, BGM out of place, camera perspective in fight is retarded.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Apr 6, 2018 3:12 AM

Nov 2015
Shoot me, I liked it.

Sure it wasn't perfect at all. The music sometimes seemed out of place and it lacks some kind of style. Animation is perfect. But it's interesting; at least I thought so.

I think it has potential to get better, certainly wont be the best of the season but I doubt it'll suck.
Apr 6, 2018 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve really been looking forward to the start of this one, and the first episode was certainly no disappointment! I absolutely loved it!
Apr 6, 2018 4:34 AM

May 2012
It is ok

Not as bad as the rating make it
Apr 6, 2018 4:42 AM

Apr 2013
It was good! I loved the opening and ending. The graphic was nice and I like the concept combining magic and science. The story is interesting although it's confusing a first I hope it will get better in the later episodes. I don't care about the rating!
Apr 6, 2018 5:16 AM

Sep 2016
"This unsavory aura of poverty"

LMFAO savage

Decent episode. It felt rushed and too much information was there to understand what's happening but its a 7 for now. Will see what happens.
Apr 6, 2018 5:35 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Well, i dont know if you are in the trust or not, but the new order social it was interesting, for me was a nice start, because how the science changed the world was cool and imaginative!!!
Apr 6, 2018 5:39 AM

Jul 2016
So... how bad is it?
I wanted a successor for Garo:VN for spring season, and i was thinking to watch this. But now seeing your comments makes me want to pass this one.
It's just BNHA S3 will be not enough for me until summer :'(
Apr 6, 2018 8:19 AM

May 2010
Luzbel1177 said:

exactly the same for me. the anime managed to loose me in about 35 seconds with this stupid technobabble bullshit.
Apr 6, 2018 8:20 AM

Jul 2017
Meh, it wasn't hopeless, but I will pass this one, probably.
Apr 6, 2018 8:40 AM
Jul 2017
Kerozinn said:
Luzbel1177 said:

exactly the same for me. the anime managed to loose me in about 35 seconds with this stupid technobabble bullshit.

I know right, you can't just vomit all of the exposition and then expect me to remember or care about all that nonsense
Apr 6, 2018 9:04 AM

Sep 2015
It resembles a lot of Jikan no Shihaisha / Chronos Ruler, but without a pretty Kugimiya Rie.

That's probably the reason to the difference between they scores.
Apr 6, 2018 9:17 AM

Mar 2010
I felt lost during the whole episode and rather disappointed considering a had just watched Comic Girls and Megalo Box before this which both set the bar high for me with great first episodes.

It's got 2 more episodes to convince me it's not utter trash but I'm not holding my breath.
Apr 6, 2018 9:37 AM

Jun 2016
As some have stated here, the story was confusing and presented all at once that I didn't fully grasped the plot while watching XP.

OP/ED are nothing special. The fights were good, though.

I guess everything will be clearer as the series progresses.

L0ken said:

Hmm, interesting but....

Mormegil said:

Knowing how this usually works, the anime will probably remove all the "dark" scenes.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of, and from what I've been hearing, that might as well happen to the adaptation of Goblin Slayer.
Apr 6, 2018 9:50 AM
Mar 2016
No a bad thing. Looks Ok to me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru Episode 12 Discussion

lihle808 - Aug 27, 2018

3 by ChellyBear0930 »»
Jan 17, 2020 9:55 PM

Poll: » Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2018

15 by sulersulerHB »»
Dec 5, 2019 6:18 AM

Poll: » Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru Episode 11 Discussion

removed-user - Oct 11, 2018

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 11, 2018 4:44 AM

Poll: » Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru Episode 10 Discussion

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 11, 2018 4:15 AM

Poll: » Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru Episode 9 Discussion

0 by removed-user »»
Oct 11, 2018 3:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.