3It was OK
2.8%
2Disliked it
1.1%
1Hated it
1.3%
Average 4.7
4,709 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, there's definitely a gap in power in this final exam between certain candidates and parties.

Time limit was approaching yet Frieren still has fight in her. NOt going to lie, I think this episode was great and living up to the hype to exams to see who will or not advance. Also felt like these exams pushes them to their mental limits too. Frieren's fighting spirit never ceases to amaze me.

Feb 2, 7:19 AM

May 2020
Well yes, the greatest enjoyment is indeed in the pursuit of magic, at least with the lens Frieren sees this world, and yeah, for her opponent Denken too. But hey, she shouldn’t have been that blunt with Serie right? I mean the omniscient cum omnipotent mage who could bestow you with any magic you want, but nah Frieren’s too honest lol.

That guy with Denken overwhelming those two kids aside, I mean that’s not complement worthy, but anyways, this episode was all about Frieren and Denken’s match in the first place, but to realize that thing didn’t even last more than a few minutes just say a lot about Frieren lol. Denken was completely outmatched, to the point where it didn’t even feel like a match.

It looked good enough, but I guess we’ve seen better in previous episodes. Anyways, felt for that girl who thought she could again surprise Frieren with her speed magic lol. Frieren got her Stille back, but most importantly, she deciphered, heck OBLITERATED THE FUCKING BARRIER ITSELF. The whole sequence was soooo beautiful, chef’s kiss, literally.

That was such a mic drop moment. Proctors were talking about how it’s impossible, and there Frieren did that with no care in the world lmaooooo.

Yeah, and Denken and his party are going into the second stage too, I mean see the weight behind that punch lol.
Feb 2, 7:19 AM

Dec 2021
It was pretty cool to finally come across a mage who actually knows Frieren. What made it even more interesting was seeing his belief that he could beat her.

In solitude with Frieren, Denken expresses that the pursuit of magic brings unparalleled joy, sparking memories for Frieren of a past encounter with Serie. During that meeting, Frieren had declined Serie's offer of privilege for the very same reason. This stance prompted Flamme to assert that, as a mage from a tranquil era, Frieren possessed the capability to overcome the Demon King. Reflecting on her mentor's guidance, Frieren confirms that the essence of being a mage lies in the fulfillment derived from the pursuit of magic.

Flamme's words got me thinking. I'm wondering if we should just take them at face value – you know, that Serie might not take down the Demon King because deep down, she's not fully committed to wanting a peaceful era. I was really looking forward to Denken's part; he seems like the wise, experienced type who usually knows how to pick his fights. Given that he's familiar with Frieren, I was hoping to see some cool strategy in action.

Anyway, done with the first part of the exam, now onto the second.

Feb 2, 7:29 AM
Dec 2020
Can anyone let me know the chapters adapted in this episode? I haven't watched from episode 18 yet and want to watch the whole First class mage exam first stage arc in one go.
Feb 2, 7:36 AM

Nov 2010
Denken, Richter, it's not physical quantitative attack any more. it's mere physical attack violence.

Feb 2, 7:48 AM
May 2021
Incredible display of her power and knowledge once again. Not only did Frieren break the barrier but easily took care of Dekken. But god Dekkens character is lowkey comedy. Mana burnt out. Clothes soaked. 2 hours left on the test. What else can he do? Fist fight to death for that Stille 💀. A real one

LeoDragoFeb 5, 7:21 PM
Feb 2, 7:58 AM
Sep 2021
Another banger episode, as expected for the current GOAT!
Feb 2, 8:00 AM
Sep 2015
Stark is my most favorite character but this arc is so engaging that I almost forget him!

My interpretation is that Frieren surpass the version of Serie from one thousand years ago. Of course I expect Serie to getting much stronger now, but her skill at one thousand years ago was already a god-like level that can create any spell.
Feb 2, 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
Well challenging Frieren to a fight was a mistake and it seems pretty clear to me that she still has heaps of power left.
I have to say the moment she broke that barrier was great even if it was already foreshadowed.
It also seems that someone was waiting for Frieren to appear for a very long time but what stands out even more is how little actually know it's her or know anything about her.
Making me wonder about all the reactions from people besides the ones we already saw.
Feb 2, 8:07 AM
Sep 2020
This episode made my body shake, because Frieren looks so great.
Feb 2, 8:09 AM
Jul 2023
The visual are so impressive and awe inspiring to look at. Truly magnificent display of dedication, in anime and irl production.

Feb 2, 8:14 AM
Apr 2019
If modern mages are using masses and objects for attacking instead of pure magic, then why can Frieren's and Fren's defence hold up against those attacks? Especially Fren against Ehre with those stone cannons.
Feb 2, 8:25 AM

Jul 2017
The battle between Denken and Frieren's group has begun, as the latter reaccounts her time with her teacher Flamme, and definitely with the great mage Serie, the one who can fulfill any desire of a wish to any mage.

As expected, both Kanne and Lawine go on the defense against Richter, though he easily overwhelms them both, and is only tasked to put them both down, while the true battle is between mages, in a true one-to-one showdown between Denken and Frieren. And though he got defeated, it's Laufen that she's after since she demands the Stille from them, and no matter what she tries, even the most miniscule of mana would've tripped her senses off. But why does Denken wanted to become a high-class mage, which he came from the Nothlern Plateaus.

Since Denken is defeated, it's Richter who has to take down both girls, which Frieren tries to analyze the barrier, and breaks Serie's barrier for Kanne to use her water spell. With only 2 hours left, Frieren's binding spell is rather powerful, which taking down the tree is the only option to free themselves. And when all is said and done, both Denken and Richter...use their bare fists to strange the Stille left from other groups, like true men.

With the 1st test over, 6 groups of 18 total candidates passed the exam, including Fern, Frieren, and Denken's group. Time for the 2nd to come.
Feb 2, 8:25 AM
Nov 2023
Another episode of Frieren smurfing. Contrary to my opinion on the last episode, this one was handled pretty well, definitely a step in the right direction. The exposition was done somewhat naturally, and the transition between backstories and real-time fight was smooth and non-disruptive to the pacing. I like how this episode mirrored the fight with Aura, only this time Frieren actually helped the kids instead of just let them fight on their own. Look forward to more episodes like this.
Feb 2, 8:36 AM
Mar 2019
Lmao. Stark and the bartender at the end... I cracked up.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Feb 2, 8:37 AM

Jan 2022
Sousou no Frieren Episode 21

• "The pursuit of magic itself"
  • Is Serie a guy???
  • Frieren breaking the supposed to be an unbreakable barrier is so epic.
  • Old man Denken is a chad. His reason for wanting to be a first mage is to be allowed to visit his hometown's cemetery is such a noble desire. Plus, he had a fistfight and won.
  • Laufen is so pure.
  • Kanne and Lawine have a great synergy. Kanne is indeed powerful when she has access to immense water like rain.
  • Fern's spell to see through clothes is OP, it even frightened Ubel.
  • After a few episodes without him, we finally got a screen time of Stark inside a bar in the middle of the night realizing that Fern was not there to scold him made him happy, and that thought scares him.

memori01Feb 3, 7:01 AM

Dec 2022
well frieren is way too op like she broke that barrier at least next test they only have to focus on themselves
and fern smiled to see frieren she really is a tsundere also stark i get you

Feb 2021
Oh wow, didn't expect Serie to have such a low voice. I expected a really high voice for some reason.
A random thought: I think Frieren and everyone else wears such simple clothes in the flashbacks with Flamme because more complex clothes simply weren't a thing back then.
5:16 Nephtear doesn't seem to be a real word (maybe it's a compound of words, idk). In Japanese it's written as 氷の矢を放つ魔法 - "Ice arrow firing magic".

Same case with Waldgose (9:26) and Daosdorg (9:29). I guess German names were limited to characters and places. In Japanese they are 竜巻を起こす魔法 - "Tornado creating magic" and 風を業火に変える魔法 - "Magic that changes wind to hellfire".

10:25 Same with Catastravia. Japanese: 裁きの光を放つ魔法 - "Magic that fires the light of judgement".

11:22 Laufen is run, walk, go. (she's the girl that was moving super fast last episode and stole Frieren's party's Stille)

12:06 I don't think that guy's name was mentioned last episode, but Richter as in Richter scale? Lol

The fact that it took Frieren, of all people, from the evening of the day before to disable the barrier makes Serie an absolutely insaaaanely powerful mage.
17:05 Reamstroha too. Japanese: 水を操る魔法 - "water controlling magic"

Frieren and her party being so badass wtffff
Denken going for a fist fight is actually so funny but also logical lmao
21:49 the smollest uwu to ever uwu

Oh damn, Denken actually won. I feel bad for that other party ngl, they looked so broken.
Stark finally showed up for a couple of seconds!!! I hope he gets at least a little bit more screen time next episode before the next test starts lol.
Damn, the animation was beautiful this episode. Loved it and the whole 1st test.
EmbientFeb 2, 11:31 AM
Feb 2, 8:38 AM

Oct 2017
That was hype, was waiting to see Frieren break the barrier and they animated it really well, looked so cool. Cool action otherwise too and with that the first round is over. Stark's having the time of his life btw. For how long though?

When you are out of mana you fight with your fists ~ Denken.
Feb 2, 8:40 AM

Jan 2009
op and ed are translated finally they are great

so the elf master of flamme is battle hungry eh so maybe she will hesitate to kill the demon king because of that

frieren goes super saiyan again damn

frieren believing that the greatest joy of magic is about searching for it reminds me of the quote the journey is more important than the end

degFeb 2, 10:29 AM
Feb 2, 8:40 AM

May 2015
Man they really missed it with Serie's voice
Feb 2, 8:44 AM

Mar 2023
Frieren likes the journey to getting the spell more than any spell, probably because it's more rewarding doing it yourself.

Denken knows what he's doing, never gives up, even if he has to fight with his fists
Feb 2, 8:47 AM

Jan 2024
The fight between Denken and Frieren was a little underwhelming but as a whole the episode was incredible haha, Im still smiling so much. Poor Stark, he seems lonely without the other two :3
Feb 2, 8:51 AM
Oct 2022
Dude, what an awesome anime, badass protagonist, badass stuff!!!!! jkasoigjqwekgfeopwqj, that anime is freaking hype.
Feb 2, 8:52 AM

Jul 2016
"I don't like water. It's soggy and wet and floody and it gets everywhere." - Richter, probably

It was probably just a dirty tactic but I wouldn't be surprised if Denken gets revealed to be a Monk as a secondary class.

And yay, Stark's finally back!
Feb 2, 8:52 AM

Jul 2011
Serie was elven old 1000 years ago.

That barrier break looked a lot like a Evangelion Impact.

Nothing against many characters, but damn, some people need to connect the dots more faster. An elf, hmmmm. Frieren, hmmmm. Strong, hmmmm. The clothes, hmmm Who could it be?
Some are the elite of that moment.

If magic fails, time to use these magic fists.
Feb 2, 8:59 AM

Mar 2021
Fantastic episode Frieren is just overpowered I wasn't expecting her to be able to break the barrier with such ease
Feb 2, 9:03 AM
Jul 2022
Fantastic episode that was over far too quickly. I didn't see the breaking of the barrier coming just to assist her party members. Frieren is playing 4d chess.
Feb 2, 9:09 AM

Apr 2022
Fantastic episode that let us see more into the overwhelming power that Frieren wields

The fact that it came down to a fist fight is hilarious

felixsifuriFeb 2, 9:12 AM
Feb 2, 9:10 AM

Nov 2021
Bro Serie's voice legit jump scared me, was expecting a high pitch voice lol
Feb 2, 9:19 AM

Jul 2017
Definitely the best episode of the arc so far, a lot of fun and fairly climactic as well. Denken's got a similar approach towards the joy that the pursuit of magic has to offer like Frieren but Frieren was just too overpowered for him and unsurprisingly, way too overpowered for this test as she managed to break the barrier easily to help her fellow teammates win with the rain serving well. The action looked fantastic, the music and direction was super strong, the pacing felt pretty good this week again and not too slow and overall, it was a good time. Even loved seeing some of the scenes with Frieren and Serie at the start, as well as Serie realizing what is happening with the barrier being destroyed as Frieren returned. I found the conversation between Flamme and Serie to be interesting too and Flamme's perspective of why Frieren rightfully has the strength to defeat the Demon King in the future as she is one of a new era, whereas Serie still internally was not completely committed to the idea of desiring a purely peaceful era.

The arc isn't the best that Frieren has had to offer so far but this was a really good episode and easily the most enjoyable one of the lot. The pacing was better, the execution and exposition was smoother and more fun and there were memorable moments that paid off well. Animation and music continued to deliver strongly as well. Onto the next phase of the exams now, which are more individual-focused now.

Poor Stark too at the very end there, must be pretty lonely just chilling about without Frieren and Fern there by his side throughout all this.
Feb 2, 9:21 AM
Dec 2017
godlike episode.
Feb 2, 9:21 AM
Nov 2023
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Feb 2, 9:24 AM
May 2021
Absolutely peak of an ep, what a time to be alive to experience frieren!!!
Feb 2, 9:24 AM
May 2021
Frieren solos still cant liee.
Feb 2, 9:27 AM

Nov 2013
Damn, expected Frieren to maybe have a bit of hard time there, but nope...

This episode had many scenes that made me laugh out loud!

Richter's barrier braking due to huge water-bubble was hilarious. Mages resorting to fist-fight and how it was revealed was 10/10 too!
Feb 2, 9:29 AM

Jan 2018
Finally, OP and ED lyrics.

The fight between Frieren and Denken was good. So was Lawine and Kanne vs Richter. Denken lost. But he was still able to get a Stille at the last second. But instead of using magic, he used his fists. That was cool ngl.

So nice of Frieren to break the barrier for the little girls lol. That scene looked so good. This anime consistently looks so good that I kinda got used to it. This episode reminded me again how beautiful this show is.

Frieren actually met that elf Serie before. But she didn't ask for a grimoire then. I doubt she'll ask for one now. It's interesting that Flamme was Serie's pupil. It makes me wonder if Frieren would take Serie's place one day. Bit depressing to think about. I think she should keep traveling for as long as she can.

We got a little bit of Stark near the end. Poor guy's lonely now. He used to be with 2 attractive women all the time and now he's suddenly alone.

I wonder what the 2nd and the subsequent tests are going to be like. I know they'll be fighting each other. But could this mean Fern will finally go up against Frieren? So curious. Can't wait.
Feb 2, 9:30 AM

Oct 2018
FOR GOD'S SAKE, THE LESBIANS KEEP WINNING.

In the end, Denken used the universal languange: fists.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Feb 2, 9:33 AM

Jul 2012
I love everything about Denken. That is all.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Feb 2, 9:39 AM
Oct 2023
Every episode this anime surprises me with a huge dose of dopamine, it's a work of art!
Feb 2, 9:41 AM
Jan 2017
Who is the man in the last scene?
Feb 2, 9:41 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to Eternal_Magnanim
Can anyone let me know the chapters adapted in this episode? I haven't watched from episode 18 yet and want to watch the whole First class mage exam first stage arc in one go.
@Eternal_Magnanim This was the last episode of the fist exam!
Feb 2, 10:00 AM
Nov 2022
Frieren as always, being the best; In the end many groups passed the test, I wonder if Frieren found someone who at least put some resistance to her magic? xd

Stark only appeared for 3 seconds at the end and it was the best of the episode 🚬 xdddd
Feb 2, 10:09 AM
Jan 2024
The chapter is good
Feb 2, 10:10 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to PokemonArk
If modern mages are using masses and objects for attacking instead of pure magic, then why can Frieren's and Fren's defence hold up against those attacks? Especially Fren against Ehre with those stone cannons.
@PokemonArk because their mana is simply bigger hence they cast more solid and denser defensive spell, the manga later explained this
Feb 2, 10:10 AM
Apr 2017
I'm curious which is stronger Flamme's barrier or Serie's barrier, because Frieren said she is still far from her sensei in previous arc
Feb 2, 10:12 AM
Oct 2019
As a fan of the manga, it was the scene I was most expecting from the first test, executed to perfection: music, animation, colors, dialogues... simply phenomenal
Obviously the rest of the episode is also noteworthy, starting from Serie up to Denken's fistfight ahaha
One of the best episode so far.

Feb 2, 10:15 AM

Dec 2017
Feb 2, 10:17 AM

May 2019
The battle between Frieren and Denken wasn't even close but I respect Denken's attitude in never giving up and going down to a fist fight to secure a Stille at the last minute. Of the 6 groups that passed I believe 4 of them were shown throughout this part of the test and they are: Frieren's, Fern's, Denken's, and Wirbel's teams.
Feb 2, 10:37 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
It was pretty cool to finally come across a mage who actually knows Frieren. What made it even more interesting was seeing his belief that he could beat her.

In solitude with Frieren, Denken expresses that the pursuit of magic brings unparalleled joy, sparking memories for Frieren of a past encounter with Serie. During that meeting, Frieren had declined Serie's offer of privilege for the very same reason. This stance prompted Flamme to assert that, as a mage from a tranquil era, Frieren possessed the capability to overcome the Demon King. Reflecting on her mentor's guidance, Frieren confirms that the essence of being a mage lies in the fulfillment derived from the pursuit of magic.

Flamme's words got me thinking. I'm wondering if we should just take them at face value – you know, that Serie might not take down the Demon King because deep down, she's not fully committed to wanting a peaceful era. I was really looking forward to Denken's part; he seems like the wise, experienced type who usually knows how to pick his fights. Given that he's familiar with Frieren, I was hoping to see some cool strategy in action.

Anyway, done with the first part of the exam, now onto the second.
IzanaSolos said:

Actually he want to try himself against strong opponent. His reason for that lie beyond Mage Exam arc
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is this your fav anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Ghost_Davo - Yesterday

106 by tsubagakure »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

909 by alippskuy »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

328 by Sphystius »»
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

560 by Neokyuz »»
Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 8

515 by Khashishi »»
Sep 21, 7:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.