3It was OK
5.5%
2Disliked it
1.2%
1Hated it
1.5%
Average 4.6
4,308 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
About time with the proper exam arc under way. We are introduced to skill magicians and a very competitive environments. According to lore, the exams is very difficult including deaths from the past.

This was a challenge to for Frieren and a new chapter in her adventures. It also adds more personalities into the show's cast of characters. Very interesting episode imo, considering we'll see how much Frieren, Fern, etc has learned. Also, I noticed a brief scene under the moon from this episode...reminds me of the famous ET flying bike riding scene.
Jan 12, 6:59 AM

May 2020
We already kind of knew what we were getting into, but for Fern to confirm the obvious, that they do indeed need someone with the qualifications of a first class mage to advance further means that we'd start the first class mage selection exam arc now.

Though Frieren might not have wanted to do anything with the exam, but she could not leave Fern alone right? Liked how that emblem of hers helped even after a literal decade lol. Still the first stage being a three party exam was one well thought concept to get us accustomed to the new characters.

Ubel and Derek are someone to keep an eye on, but it was Frieren's teammates who were quite literally a pair of goofballs. I mean she always has to play the mother lol. Still the “Stille”, the passing objective of this test, might not have landed yet in Frieren's team's cage yet, but they will, I guess. Fern and her team tho.

Loved Frieren's willingness to "see" the complete view. Such a hilarious subtle hint tho, Fern has grown into more ways than one after all( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Softhenic03Jan 12, 7:11 AM
Jan 12, 7:04 AM

Dec 2021
Feiren and the gang have finally arrived in Äußerst, but, naturally, we can't proceed without kicking off the First Class Mage Exam Arc.

After parting ways with Sein, Frieren and the others arrived in the magical city of Äußerst. To enter the northern highlands ahead, it is mandatory to be accompanied by a first-class magician. The first-class magician exam is a tough challenge, with some years having no successful candidates, and there are cases of injuries or even fatalities. As Frieren and Fern headed to the exam venue, they found seasoned magicians gathered there.

Mommy Ubel just made her debut, and her voice actor nailed it – exactly how I imagined while reading the manga. Time for the Tournament Arc! Haha, watching Fern getting all anxious was so cute, but it's a golden chance to see where she and Fern stand in the mage society. Finding out that Frieren got bested 11 times before adds an interesting twist. I'm wondering about the timeline for that, given her knack for improving over time.

Mama Frieren is back in action with two new daughters.
IzanaSolosJan 12, 4:52 PM

Jan 12, 7:06 AM

Nov 2010
"If you don't want to lose your life, get lost immediately. (or the girl will kill you all)"
Jan 12, 7:58 AM
Jul 2023
Frieren is mood, Frieren is :3

I wonder how many candles are on Frieren birthday cake and what’s her current age.
Jan 12, 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
Well looks like this exam has some interesting parties both for Frieren and for Fern, while we didn't get much of Fern and her party yet i guess it will be interesting to watch.
Frieren on the other hand has a party would people who like each other a bit to much but Frieren handles them well, life experience is coming in useful here.
It will be interesting to see how they catch the bird.
Jan 12, 8:13 AM

Mar 2021
Really enjoyed this episode it's hilarious to see Frieren being put in a group with two girls who fight all the time at this point she used to seeing Fern and Stark fight so it's nothing new
Jan 12, 8:20 AM
Dec 2023
Nicenicenicenice
Jan 12, 8:20 AM

Nov 2017
She's a good teacher, right? :3

Jan 12, 8:25 AM

Oct 2017
Finally the first class mage arc is here, was so hyped for this. Was a fun episode watching Frieren's group, with the two new characters, Lawinne and Kanne squabbling the entire time. Btw that "I could only see half the sky" lmao, oof. Good to see Kraft again btw, he saved those bandits from Übel.
Jan 12, 8:35 AM

Jan 2009
frieren and fern will win this exam for sure
Jan 12, 8:38 AM
Mar 2015
Frieren sees something in her party that is worth her time Fern needs to be careful of the killer
Jan 12, 8:39 AM

Feb 2021
All translations by Google Translate
1:38 Kühl - cool (temperature)

Many of us would do a lot of things to be in Frieren's position here
4:32 Granat is garnet

Oh, Kraft!
Übel is bad or evil. This one is straightforward lol.
Now that I look at them, Eisen and Senshi look really similar.
10:52 I bet the number of candles on that cake is like, a tenth of Frieren's age.

11:17 Wirbel is whirl, eddy, vortex

11:26 Denken is think, thinking

13:29 Grobe is rough

13:36 Stille is silence

14:52 Lawine is avalanche (oh so this is where the Russian word lavina came from)

14:56 Kanne is pot, can

Interesting how Lawine looks more feminine than Kanne but talks in a really masculine tone
20:16 Kanne said yes, but CR translated it as "No, I don't" for some reason.

The raining sound is just because of the barrier, right? Interesting what Kanne thought of.
Good episode! But I'm worried for Fern :(
I wonder what Stark is doing while the test is going on.
EmbientJan 12, 8:49 AM
Jan 12, 8:41 AM

Jul 2017
Decent episode that begins the First Class Mage Exam arc. Wouldn't say it was the best since it did feel pretty slow without being as interesting or charming as the other episodes but it served as an okay enough introduction for what is to come, and had Frieren be with different characters as a part of her group for the first stage at hand, being Lawine and Kanne. It can be a good experience for Fern too to briefly be in a party with other people besides depending on Frieren the whole time, which can help her grow somewhat in the process, even though she is with a very suspicious and potentially dangerous Übel to work with. The episode definitely had more of a proper shounen series feel with the examination arc, kind of like watching a Hunter test from Hunter x Hunter. Best thing about the episode was the various expressions Frieren produced as she was stuck with her arguing frenemy teammates.
Jan 12, 8:41 AM
Sep 2020
This episode was very interesting, I'm sure the next episode will be even more interesting.
Jan 12, 8:46 AM

Oct 2018
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE? DID THE SOUSOU NO YURI START?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Jan 12, 8:48 AM

Jul 2016
The smugness radiating from Ubel could rival pre-"Aura, KYS" Aura. Kinda love that Kraft shows up once in a while tho

A tiny woodland bird that can break the sound barrier and a giant demonic owl thing? What are they feeding the birds in this world?
Jan 12, 8:54 AM

Aug 2021
keeps getting better
Jan 12, 8:56 AM

Apr 2022
This "half the sky" scene made me spit on my screen

I love good writing
Jan 12, 8:57 AM

Sep 2019
Frieren traumatised by Fern oppais.
Sep 2015
Ooh I love all these new characters.

May 2015
Poor Frieren seeing only half of the sky ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 12, 8:59 AM
Jun 2023
ok not reading thread just in case there is a new ep bc don't want spoilers but is this one a real one or one of those spam threads that have been everywhere lately
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
Oct 2019
Beautiful beautiful beautiful, this episode, I want to see what will unfold from this test.
Jan 12, 9:01 AM

Mar 2023
The 'just start dating already!' feels even more relevant for the new yuri characters that were added.
I don't think Frieren is very interested in this exam which they showed repeatedly so far, though I believe in Fern, she got this one
Jan 12, 9:02 AM

Dec 2022
well the first class exam began thought they would finish the first exam today and the next episode they will show us what is fern is doing at the first exam though we might still see that fern or not dont know what will they do

fern and stark didnt get cake so why does she get cake also how much money was that cake
ZaxphredJan 12, 9:10 AM
Jan 12, 9:10 AM

Jul 2011
At least there's someone studied enough in that world to back up Frieren's necklace claims. Is kinda sad all the disbelief in Frieren.

Nice to see Gudako is doing part-time in this anime.

What even that cage is made of? Whatever if the bird go 0 to 1235 km/h in a second. The cage specs are more important.
Jan 12, 9:15 AM
Aug 2020
another great episode

i love the ost,/animation/ story

we finally saw the new characters

i really enjoyed every sec of this ep...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 12, 9:16 AM
Apr 2023
Reply to Zaxphred
well the first class exam began thought they would finish the first exam today and the next episode they will show us what is fern is doing at the first exam though we might still see that fern or not dont know what will they do

fern and stark didnt get cake so why does she get cake also how much money was that cake
@Zaxphred Maybe Frieren’s birthday?
Jan 12, 9:23 AM

Nov 2021
Lawine and Kanne are great so far, kinda worried about Fern being paired up with Ubel though 👀
Jan 12, 9:27 AM
Jun 2020
it's a nice episode. As always
Jan 12, 9:34 AM
Nov 2022
The girl with the green hair (I don't remember her name xd) gives me a very bad feeling.

I wonder how many episodes this exam "arc" will last...
Jan 12, 9:37 AM

Aug 2023
Reply to LuisSV23
The girl with the green hair (I don't remember her name xd) gives me a very bad feeling.

I wonder how many episodes this exam "arc" will last...
@LuisSV23 it will last till last (28) episode.
Jan 12, 9:37 AM

Jan 2018
Bruh. Frieren not being able to see the sky from Fern's lap was funny af.

So this is the start of some type of exam arc. I'm interested. I like the shakeup with Frieren partying up with 2 brats and Fern being with a serial killer. But I wonder what Stark will be up to now that both of his party members are busy...

Jan 12, 9:50 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to Mainnus
Frieren is mood, Frieren is :3

I wonder how many candles are on Frieren birthday cake and what’s her current age.
@Mainnus

(´・ω・`)
Jan 12, 9:58 AM

Apr 2021
oh no, a character named "Übel". This looks like troube, the name means bad/evil/sick in german. So I'm pretty worried about Fern.

Jan 12, 10:00 AM

Feb 2021
Fern's boobs lol

So if she killed the exam proctor in the last exam, then why is she still allowed to take the exam now...?
Jan 12, 10:09 AM
Dec 2021
Oh man frieren was perfect the first 4 eps.
But then you got the ass, the feet and now the tits.
Now the childish shounen-like characters just arrived.

I'm glad I took it out of my favs (found something better)

Jan 12, 10:10 AM

Nov 2013
God damn it! Episode ended so quickly. Loving the always-quarrelling duo. Poor Fern has a killer in her team... Wonder how she's doing.
Jan 12, 10:10 AM

May 2019
Haha, Frieren can only see half the sky while on Fern's lap, I like the humor in this show.

Btw, that new mage character, Übel, gives me unsettling vibes and she would've definitely killed those bandits had Kraft not stepped in. On that note I'm concerned for Fern since she's in her group but I believe all members have to be alive/present for them to pass this first test so Fern should be ok for now.
Jan 12, 10:36 AM
Feb 2023
mage exam yaaaaay
Jan 12, 10:36 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
"Nevermind, I can only see half the sky" Frieren being Frieren XD
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 12, 10:41 AM

Jun 2014
Frieren and Fern are taking on the first-class mage exam and things are already off to a shaky start for Frieren lol. It’s pretty interesting how her groupmates are always fighting but actually have really good chemistry with each other. Sucks that she constantly has to act like a mediator though. Meanwhile I’m worried about Fern since she got grouped with the shady green-haired chick who had the run in with Kraft. And speaking of Kraft, I’m glad we got to see him again, even if only briefly.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 12, 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
This show is too funny.
Lawine kicking Kanne's ass really forced her to do a leap of faith. Although still needs some help, it was not enough to make her more brave. Frieren will be a relevant piece to improve her cowardice.
I wish Fern the best for this test, I think it has a great potential to make it to the top. I guess Stark will be sleeping for this arc, so we'll no see him for a couple episodes. I will miss him ! !
Jan 12, 11:31 AM

Apr 2020
my goat ubel is here
kinda wish she had black hair but whatever

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Jan 12, 11:35 AM

Sep 2016
I could only see half the sky

Subtle ecchi jokes done right.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 12, 12:06 PM

Feb 2019
First class mage exam arc is here!

Love the subtle ecchi jokes in this series. Not too in your face, just snarky comments from Frieren about not being able to see the sky because of Fern’s boobs.

We’re finally entering Außerst.. last stop before the dangerous northern plateau.. I really can’t wait to see what’s up there. If a first class mage is required and they’re so rare it’s got to be insane.

I love how fern is only worried about the price of hiring a first class mage or sailing because it would prevent them from getting snacks 😂

Really nice start to the first class mage exam. Being held every 3 years makes the stakes really high for anyone involved. Having both Fern and Frieren participate is a smart idea to increase the chances of success.

Poor Frieren gets the worst possible team. Lawine and Kanne fight like cats and dogs. Man I’ve never seen a duo fight the entire episode like that lmao. But as they say, the closer you are, the more you fight. When she got attacked, the first person Kanne called out for was Lawine.

Speaking of Lawine, love her design!

Only a few hours left to capture the bird but Frieren has a plan.. this’ll be fun.
Marinate1016Jan 12, 12:38 PM
Jan 12, 12:19 PM

Jul 2020
leave it to Frieren to turn any trivial activity into an adventure! birdwatching has never been so exciting
Jan 12, 12:34 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to redicicles
@Zaxphred Maybe Frieren’s birthday?
@redicicles i meant that stark and fern didnt get cake on their birthday though we didnt see fern get a cake or not and what stark got i cant say that was cake either but frieren gets not only a cake but a giant one at that
Jan 12, 12:35 PM
Jan 2024
Good great frieren
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is this your fav anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Ghost_Davo - Sep 22

128 by TheSunLife »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 2

279 by Neokyuz »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

909 by alippskuy »»
Yesterday, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

328 by Sphystius »»
Sep 22, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2023

560 by Neokyuz »»
Sep 22, 10:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.