3It was OK
19.0%
2Disliked it
9.5%
1Hated it
3.9%
Average 3.9
179 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 28, 2019 6:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's pretty interesting to see a rift opening after the big fight. It's noticable that Enterprise went missing.

Pretty much the continuation after the fight between sides this episode. Idk why but I got this eerie feeling about the episode with both sides regrouping their forces.
Nov 28, 2019 7:55 AM

Apr 2010
The girls found their way into a frozen hell.
And it seems the girls from the Sakura Empire are starting to doubt Akagi and her her sister, much to the displeasure of her sister.
Kaga has some things to learn is seems.

Anyway the final moment with Ayanami was really nice she looked pretty brutal.

And Akatsuki made an appearance which was also nice she is always fun to watch.
Nov 28, 2019 8:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Animation was really good in this episode, kinda liked the ice environment too, but for the story it was still boring...
Nov 28, 2019 8:42 AM

Aug 2013
Akagi is alive.

Good thing Laffey and Javelin saved Ayanami.

Nov 28, 2019 9:11 AM

Jan 2013
The art was extra-wonky in this episode.
Nov 28, 2019 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Ashhk said:
Animation was really good in this episode, kinda liked the ice environment too, but for the story it was still boring...
lmao, so you didnt even watch it
Nov 28, 2019 9:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
HisokaxMeruem said:
Ashhk said:

Why ? I watched it.
Nov 28, 2019 9:24 AM
Oct 2019
i watch in livestream
and see many javelin laffey scene,their hair Motionless.when in snow storm(and belfast hair still blow)
because live steam problem or something?
Nov 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Apr 2011
Animation seems to be on or off or something. There are scenes that look good, but some aren't.

But despite that it's a good episode. The fight scenes are good. Enty with her glowing yellow eyes while standing atop of the ice glacier looks intimidating.

I hope Shoukaku, Zuizui, and Ayanami gets captured. Hoping the rest of the Sakura Empire realized they're being just lied upon and use as experiments
by those sirens.
MagitoNov 29, 2019 12:05 AM
Nov 28, 2019 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
Ashhk said:
HisokaxMeruem said:

Why ? I watched it.
have you seen their faces? they literally fked up all faces this episode
Nov 28, 2019 9:54 AM

Jan 2009
a whole sakuga episode eh but a lot of the still frames are rough damn they do not have enough animation directors especially chief animation director (the character designer/s)

Enterprise internal conflict made an alter ego for the fight and flight or destroy vs protect mindset i guess

Nov 28, 2019 9:57 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
HisokaxMeruem said:
Ashhk said:

Why ? I watched it.
Their faces are weird like this since the beginning i'm used now I guess, and I watched the episode in 1080p for the first time, the environment looked way prettier than usualy, especially with that ice.
Nov 28, 2019 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
Ashhk said:
Animation was really good in this episode

finally someone who knows what good animation (sakuga) is

there are lots of character acting animation especially face animation in this episode so obviously some in-between frames will look rough

but ye some still frames are rough too and thats my only complain
Nov 28, 2019 10:06 AM

May 2018
Animation is a bit on and off at times. Some parts were good like movement and fights but some other parts will have still frames like what SHAFT does. Eyeless faces return and are more frequent but whoever watched the first episode should not be surprised by it now.

I really don't like the starter ships' story in this though. I prefer to see more of the fight between Azur Lane and Sakura Empire or clashing with the Sirens. I like seeing Enterprise in her illusion but seeing her at the end was kind of forced.

The good parts were learning more about the Siren's goal, Sakura Empire's fleet and how Kaga was suffering. The fight with the Crane Sisters wasn't bad but I wanted to see more of it. Learning a bit more about Enterprise was a good thing too. Although it seems like we're getting small bits of info each episode. This episode seems to be building up for the next fight with the Sirens or Project Orochi as they like to call it. Poor Akagi...

Overall, good episode but I like Episode 7 even more.
Edo_Light_16Nov 28, 2019 10:11 AM
Nov 28, 2019 10:19 AM

Dec 2015
Am I the only one confused on how we got into the ice environment?
It's not the Slates that is essential to people. What we need is...
Well...
A small table to share a meal... That's more than enough.

That's my conclusion. The answer I've reached as the Silver King.
Nov 28, 2019 10:24 AM

Sep 2014
My foxy waifus aren't dead and Amagi actually got a face this time nice!
Nov 28, 2019 10:29 AM
Sep 2017
Episode was quite good, but the animation compared to when it started is so meh. I heard that the studio has some problems, both financial and deadlines. Does anyone know something more ? Will the quality go up in upcoming episodes or will it stay like this or worse till the end ?
Nov 28, 2019 10:29 AM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
The fight is good, the story is acceptable, but this episode have inconsistent animations.

Also where are Iron Blood ships ? Where is Z23 when Laffey, Ayanami and Javelin in one frame ? Hope they explain these properly later.
Nekko_Khayal88Nov 28, 2019 10:34 AM
Nov 28, 2019 10:38 AM

Dec 2009
action scenes looked ok, the rest was bad, the final like 6 minutes was good animations

im confused how they even got to the battle, in ep 6 everyone was at the hot springs, ep 7 was a recap and then 8 was a giant battle, it makes no sense

Why isn't Nimi (Z23) getting more screentime, she's a Starter Ship as well
Nov 28, 2019 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Ashhk said:
HisokaxMeruem said:
Their faces are weird like this since the beginning i'm used now I guess, and I watched the episode in 1080p for the first time, the environment looked way prettier than usualy, especially with that ice.

Not just weird, they fked up a lot of faces in this episode, here are some:
https://gyazo.com/adca4157d606502be141f94ae6d98113
https://gyazo.com/d047b15452e6014a14e611c47f895438
https://gyazo.com/c3659bc57ad433addac99d834dc8f2ab
https://gyazo.com/878da9321072f8ad262e64658546b2c7 one eye moves and the other doesnt
https://gyazo.com/aa97f43e979734dce26d25d229b86b81 and not to forget all these weird close ups this episode

I didnt notice that stuff happening until this episode, it got worse than before, still like the anime a lot
removed-userNov 28, 2019 10:44 AM
Nov 28, 2019 10:42 AM
Dec 2014
Silver-King said:
Am I the only one confused on how we got into the ice environment?
guess all the thing caused by the super sayan Enterprise in the dimension created by Akagi caused the weather and dimensional abnormalities.
Nov 28, 2019 10:50 AM

Jan 2009

the white haired girl is if i remember right one of the rough still frames im complaining about
but the Zuikaku drawing is a in-between frame and not even a still frame from what i remember

i do not understand how this last 3 drawings are bad lol
Nov 28, 2019 10:59 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
HisokaxMeruem said:
Ashhk said:

Not just weird, they fked up a lot of faces in this episode, here are some:
https://gyazo.com/adca4157d606502be141f94ae6d98113
https://gyazo.com/d047b15452e6014a14e611c47f895438
https://gyazo.com/c3659bc57ad433addac99d834dc8f2ab
https://gyazo.com/878da9321072f8ad262e64658546b2c7 one eye moves and the other doesnt
https://gyazo.com/aa97f43e979734dce26d25d229b86b81 and not to forget all these weird close ups this episode

I didnt notice that stuff happening until this episode, it got worse than before, still like the anime a lot
Yeah I agree for the faces but it bother me since episode 1 to be honest, It must be worse in this episode though.
Nov 28, 2019 11:40 AM

Mar 2019
Good episode, the ice environment was beautiful. I also never got shocked by their faces but it looks like a lot got bothered by this.
Nov 28, 2019 11:41 AM
Jul 2014
Art Quality to story ratio strikes again, but this time in a good way. I think I'm inured to all of the art mistakes, and there were many in this episode.

Thankfully, the story more than made up for that. Directing for the episode was very good, with plenty of action, great character inclusion, and logical plot arcs.

Combat, thankfully, stayed mostly within naval limits, with the sole exception of Ayanami's epic SBD takedown.

I also liked Ayanami's rebuttal of Javelin and Laffey at the beginning of the episode. It made sense.

8/10 episode overall, with two points lost for the constant art-quality shifts and errors. This kind of episode quality in terms of storyboarding and narrative is what I expected of this show all the time, so it's nice to see that Bibury actually has competent directors hidden away somewhere.
Nov 28, 2019 11:45 AM
Jan 2016
Good episode!

Belfast's advices are always great!

Seems other Sakura Empire girls are doubting about Akagi and Kaga's plans, and Shoukaku honesty about that was so awesome, i love Shoukaku!

We saw sirens ships, and seems Akagi is still alive!

Enterprise is back to normal thanks to ayanami, and the save on Ayanami by Laffey and Javelin was really cool!

Seems they are close of regrouping sides and stop that war!

Nov 28, 2019 12:31 PM

Feb 2019
I really don't understand the complaints about art or animation quality in this series. It's fine to me, maybe I'm just not that critical of shit like that, idk, but at the end of the day, cute girls doing cute shit and literal waifu wars is a 10/10 for me. My only complaint is sometimes the plot feels a bit confusing or like some chapters are missing.
Dunno if I'm alone, but I def teared up in this ep several times, really emotional. Great episode. Hopefully we get some answers as to what was controlling Enterprise and the origin of the sirens in the next few eps/another season. Wish this series wasn't so underrated. Happy Turkey day everyone.
Marinate1016Nov 28, 2019 12:34 PM
Nov 28, 2019 12:50 PM

Dec 2009
Enterprise falls victim to exploitation by seirens... definitely NOT mary sue lol. (just not well written)

I hope Laffey and Javelin get through to Ayanami and the rest, as sometimes all it takes is small good deeds and connections to end an entire conflict. Looking forward to where it goes next.

The cinematography is really janky this episode and the animation is off more than usual, must have been time crunched or maybe an amateur director for this ep. It's not really about being critical or not, it's the fact that it looks really amateurish and clumsy due to lack of consistency.
@Superns18

For instance:
The snow looked alright but some people have overstated it's cost and value, it's 4 layers of easily made effect.
The ice used stock macrotexture, and the sky shatters used stock overlays
Strange framing
Off-model characters, bad lipsync
Lots of unanimated sill-frame shots for filler
Notable effects missing their sounds
...and plenty more

The blu-rays might fix this stuff, but as it is now it looks like what i've seen in a lot of incomplete anime episodes. I'm not particularly meticulous about animation nor care all that much, these are just things i noticed in passing as i was watching (i'm a naturally observant person), i don't fret too much about it, but i'm not gonna lie and say it was great animation when it wasn't. The clumsiness and inconsistency of it makes is harder for the layman to appreciate it with artistic merit when there are lots of small things things that may bother their subconscious.

The general writing of the anime has not been taking advantage of it's initial setup either, as up the prior episode there was a huge skip into action without any buildup, which is very amateurish.
GenesisAriaNov 28, 2019 1:11 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 28, 2019 1:02 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

I understand the complaints about the production being very inconsistent, it is noticeable but it doesn't make the episode bad in any way and I still really enjoyed it. In fact the changes in the art style actually make for some interesting sequences.

Shoukaku casting doubt on Akagi and Kaga. :(
As much as I love Shoukaku, I love Akagi and Kaga too, I don't want to see any infighting in the Sakura Empire. :(
Yukikaze and Yuudachi needed more screentime.

Action scenes were great, especially Shoukaku and Zuikaku just zipping around in the water. I kinda wish we get at least one scene of Shoukaku playing her flute.

Of course the highlight of the scene was Ayanami just flying through the air and ripping apart Enterprise's Dive Bomber, that was awesome. Laffey and Javelin saving her was great too. Best started Z23 still nowhere to be found. :(

Very interested to see how this situation will be resolved.

nerfx said:
My foxy waifus aren't dead and Amagi actually got a face this time nice!

Thank god for that, fox family, best family!
Nov 28, 2019 1:16 PM

Dec 2015
Okay, this is just dumb. Was everyone just pretend fighting until now? Why is everyone on the allies side suddenly horrified that Enterprise is actually trying to kill the enemy? Did she bring live rounds to an airsoft fight or something? And now they are trying to save the enemy. I get what they are trying to do with this story--that we are all humans and that there is no reason in senselessly killing each other, especially when they share a common enemy--but they are just doing it in the dumbest way possible.
Nov 28, 2019 1:23 PM
Oct 2019
terrible animation that feels like a slideshow, garbage starters naruto and sasuke plot, bad main plot of the anime that barely gets any explanation, "wAr nEvEr eNds" dialogue for the hundredth time even the enemty starts quoting it, cringy yuri ships, and a stupid black all spark/ tesseract that moves the plot, how can people even defend this shit in 2019?? has everyone's expectations gone down so easily? easily one of the worst shows in this season, extremely tragic, I can see why the MAL scores keep dropping every week, deservedly so....
Nov 28, 2019 1:28 PM
Jul 2015
Whaaat the fuuuck, even the still frames look awful now (of which there were many). The animation as a whole seems to be even worse than previously. Loads of weird angles too and perspectives too.
All of this makes it really hard to watch. It all looks so incomplete. As if this is a rough sketch.
Also sakuga? Where? There were some bits animated alright, but lasted for like 2-5 seconds and were most close up shots of faces and were pretty meaningless.
Nov 28, 2019 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
Visuals were pretty hit or miss this episode. I liked the action scenes, even if detail were dropped but when they weren't action scenes, you just had derpy and choppy character models. The scene where Souryuu was saying they should retreat, her mouth flap didn't even match her talking and even kept going when she wasn't. However, it seems they reduced the use of derpy designs by having an abundant amount of close up shots, like seriously there was a pretty hefty amount of them.
Nov 28, 2019 2:46 PM

Apr 2015
Not sure what to think of the animation and art. Like the animation at some parts was pretty nice to look at, but the rest seemed way too off. Especially the close up on their faces...

So glad to see that Laffey and Javelin managed to save Ayanami. I really want to know what's going on with Enterprise. Some shots made me believe she was in a hallucination of their war with the Sirens again.

Nov 28, 2019 4:27 PM
Oct 2019
many scene has unanimate.
and fantasy theme in previous episode make me confuse
Shoukaku who flying in all previous episode.now move in water.why she not fly anymore?
i think sometime this series confuse what they want to be.
slice of life?action? war?fantasy?or realistic.
It good plot story
but story telling is bad in my opinion
feel bad for AL they must has better studio to do their anime series
Nov 28, 2019 4:31 PM
Nov 2017
Poor Enty. I know she is suffering and all, but damn is she savage. Hope to see what happens with her later on.

Animation was off in some parts, but I enjoyed the episode overall.
Nov 28, 2019 4:42 PM

Oct 2019
First off the bat, is it just me or were most of the animation a little lazy? I could tell cause' the sometimes the hair movement was just staying in place, and the environment was not blended well with the characters. But I still love it storywise and the game plus ship waifus! Also, where's the Iron Blood?!
Nov 28, 2019 5:46 PM

Jan 2011
inconsistent is the easily way to put the art and animation and it's been this way from the start

stills shots and some smaller in between's are rough but this episode had some good shots here and there like Ayanami flapping in the air when Laffey tried to grab her.

feels like there's a lot of corner cutting in the production of it's like you're playing russian roulette with the quality each scene lol.
Nov 28, 2019 6:52 PM

Oct 2015
I thought Ayanami was a gonna there, thank goodness for Laffey and Javelin! I guess it's one of those series where nobody dies, at the end we all sing "kumbaya".
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 28, 2019 7:35 PM
Feb 2019
near the end of the episode where Enterprise drops to her knees. she suddenly gets her hat back was that an animation error cuz i pretty sure her hat got knocked off.

honestly i'd be happy watching shipgirls and siren ships bombing tf out of each other in glorious sakuga with just a barebones excuse for a plot
Nov 28, 2019 10:52 PM

Mar 2019
This was a good episode, but the animation was very dissapointing...

PS: Need more Saratoga+Shouhou scenes.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Nov 28, 2019 11:37 PM
Aug 2015
Sad seems like the animation just went to the gutter....if you compared EP1 to this...this is really bad....I hope next ep will get back to OG amazing animation!
Nov 28, 2019 11:43 PM

Feb 2017
How the heck did the ice appear?
And yes, some parts had good and kind of fluid animation
while others where .. weird AF, the first minute pre-OP was bad.. xD
but the motionless hair was all over the episode and was really bad.
tottojaNov 29, 2019 1:45 AM
Nov 29, 2019 1:20 AM
Jul 2017
This is better than what I thought it would be. I started off with expectations that it was rip off of Kantai Collection. This turned out to be much better. I love the mystery and suspense (I believe it’s better than Kantai Collection in those aspects). Seems like things are starting to reach the climax now, there are like so many questions (I have never played the game.)
First of all what is this mysterious Orochi that these Sirens seem to want to create to accomplish something.
Second, I noticed that Sirens have golden eye color which was the color that Enterprises eyes glowed. Is there a connection? Is Enterprise a siren (probably not, just speculating)?
Third, it seems like the Sirens are trying to convince Enterprise that the only way to stop war is to destroy all that cause war(namely the other ship girls). Is that part of what the Siren are trying to do? Make Enterprise turn against everyone else and go beserk?
Nov 29, 2019 2:02 AM

Sep 2009
Damn. People, who do not understand anything about animation, have the same complaints as about that Apocrypha ep (22 or 23, do not remember).

A bunch of top animators worked on this ep. It is normal that for the sake of fluid animation frames should be4 made deformed. You watch it in motion, go dammit, not pause every frame to see if the design is solid enough!

Nov 29, 2019 2:40 AM

Feb 2011
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Damn. People, who do not understand anything about animation, have the same complaints as about that Apocrypha ep (22 or 23, do not remember).

A bunch of top animators worked on this ep. It is normal that for the sake of fluid animation frames should be4 made deformed. You watch it in motion, go dammit, not pause every frame to see if the design is solid enough!

These are the same people that think Pain vs Naruto is a badly animated fight. Anyway, Hironori Tanaka being AD this episode was a blessing. Anime production works in such mysterious ways, some episodes will look like shit but then as soon as someone reputable gets assigned as AD for an episode it will look outstanding due to his connections in the industry. Anyway, as many before me have stated the story is still mind numbingly boring.
Nov 29, 2019 2:52 AM

Jul 2017
After the wonders that is the sakuga animation last episode, are we back to production hell? For the sake of nitpicking thou shall not follow the trend.

With that said, following the events of last episode, where Enterprise destructed out of oblivion, and the Sirens' activities made variant by Akagi, causing not only the space-time rift, but everyone in shattering disarray. This is highly suspect of the events in coherence, but (plot) relations-wise, still no answer.

Welp, with how the situation is now, the trust to Akagi's Sakura Empire may as well be corrupted at this point (towards Project Orochi).

The fight to the death for those remaining, with Enterprise's awakening and all, hell as I know the plot now, but one thing I know, it's gonna get more insane with the developments now that the war that both Azur Lane and Sakura Empire are fighting aren't the same war anymore.
Nov 29, 2019 4:03 AM

Oct 2007
oh, it's tentacle seiren that found Akagi. Well, Akagi sempai if a tentacle monster find you while you're unconscious... gonna wait for the doujins on this! hehe /just kidding :D

Shoukaku too intelligent to be fooled. She knows something is wrong with Akagi and Kaga using seiren tech.

Enterprise summons a large sqaudron of SBD Dauntless dive bombers, then bomb the hell out of Zuikaku and Shoukaku... disabling both carriers. While Ayanami also hurt bad by slicing a dive bomber and the plane exploding beside her. Whoa.. Enterprise with yellow eyes is brutal, she's really gonna kill them.

So now Zuikaku, Shoukaku, and Ayanami are prisoners of war for Azur Lane?

looking forward to next week!! :)
Nov 29, 2019 4:30 AM
Oct 2019
Nachtwandler_21 said:

I think real problem is many motionless hair scene
Fight scene is good
But almost other scene animation is weird or fuking bad
Nov 29, 2019 4:40 AM

Feb 2014
The inconsistency of the animation and art quality had returned again, with some good close-up shots of Enterprise's face as well as the rather nicely animated snow conditions. For the other scenes, however, some characters were too off-model both close-up and in the distance and some animated movements felt a bit odd, although that could be down to the style of animation used for this episode in particular. After last week's episode having some great animation, this episode's production felt a bit disappointing.

I was a little confused about the location that everyone was in, but that must've been the result of Enterprise's crazy attack from last week. No wonder everyone on both sides were in such disarray.

Ayanami got herself into trouble after making such a ballsy move, but good job to Laffey and Javelin, who worked together to save Ayanami from falling into the open abyss below.

Aside from some nitpicks, this was still a good episode. =)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Azur Lane Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2019

133 by Lillie482311 »»
May 5, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Azur Lane Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

106 by KOningNoviPoes »»
Dec 28, 2023 6:34 AM

Poll: » Azur Lane Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2019

96 by Heanworld »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Azur Lane Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2019

141 by reegooey »»
Aug 22, 2023 1:34 AM

» Character Arizona's voice actress Shirakabe Sawako doing Gravure Modeling

zxcvb321 - Aug 10, 2023

1 by Morty_NL »»
Aug 10, 2023 1:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.