3It was OK
19.6%
2Disliked it
5.2%
1Hated it
4.9%
Average 3.9
629 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 31, 2018 3:02 PM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Woah so episode 1 leaked on youtube? So far everything looks crisp the CGI is done well. Its ur standard military dialogue but just having the show back is super exhilarating.

sorry i cant post link Idk if its against the rules
Mar 31, 2018 3:24 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Planning on watching the original series while watching the new one. It seems like the first episode covers the Overture movie, while focusing primarily on the Imperial side (correct me if I'm wrong though).

OP and ED were pretty good and the OST is solid. The CGI work is amazing. Visually appealing throughout, and the character designs are good enough. The older-aged characters look much more appealing than the younger ones though.
GoldenDevilGamerApr 3, 2018 9:16 AM
Mar 31, 2018 3:38 PM

Apr 2009
I'm a little disappointed that all we saw of Yang was his ass, but I guess we'll get an FPA episode next week.

It was alright. I knew they wouldn't, but part of me wishes they'd have kept the classical music from the original, if they were just going to replace it with really generic strings. The OP/ED were pretty eh as well, but I was directly comparing them to the originals so that's not really fair.
Mar 31, 2018 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
The CG is so disappointing. It is everywhere, with the only non-CG objects seeming to be the characters, which blend terribly with the CG environments. Especially jarring when 2D Reinhard sits on CG chair in a CG command room with CG battlespace in front and CG copy-pasted ships in the background. On top of that, the lipe and facial animations are lackluster.

The character designs really aren't evocative either. I honestly struggle to see any of Reinhard's charisma represented here. It all feels very stiff and instead of being a gloriously handsome gold-locked genius, Reinhard ends up being generic bishounen 01.
As somebody who adored the novel series and the aesthetics of the original series, this one feels like a poor effort, flashy in all the wrong places
Mar 31, 2018 4:58 PM

Jul 2015
They decided to dedicate one episode for each faction. I don't think that was necessary since the old anime was able to come back and forth without any problems. The struggle was much more interesting.

This format is just Reinhard winning some RTS game while bragging himself.

Weak beginning. I hope they come back to the old format for the

Mar 31, 2018 5:18 PM
Sep 2016
I feel pretty nice. When the characters move, the awkwardness decreases a little bit. It is kind of weird that in episode one most scenes are on empire side. The CGI is great, but I still cannot understand why empire defeats alliance so quickly, maybe next episode can explain it. The staff do change a lot. Music is fine, but comparing to the classical music, it is definitely inferior to the original one. Anyway, feeling a little bit of relief and will keep an eye on this series.
Mar 31, 2018 6:10 PM

Sep 2012
Weak start. Give us more still, tactical shots of battlefield pls. Camera is too close xD
I get a feeling OVA was much more dynamic with multiple plotlines constantly merging.
It's hard to show what LoGH is about in one episode, but it felt like random dude, destroying random spaceships.
And how is that music supposed to compete with OVA's classical music. Half of the time we had no music at all >_>
I hope it'll get better with some worldbuilding and stuff.

(Shrapnel thingy was nice)
Mar 31, 2018 6:53 PM
Nov 2007
I hate the music during the battle sequences so much. Outside of that it just sounds mediocre, but at least not actively pissing me off. I give up.
Apr 1, 2018 12:17 AM

May 2013
Not enough Yang.

But with limited 12 episodes they needed to "hype things up" for the newcomers. The CG was bearable, better than new Berserk. The music wasn't classical enough but that was expected. So far, the only character design I have a problem with is Kircheis. I just hope by the end of the entire airing I can give it a score of at least 5/10.
Apr 1, 2018 2:17 AM

Feb 2013
I am a noob so can someone explain to me if they are using CG characters? The part where Reinhard sits down on his throne is so stiff.

That OP seems like a parody almost. The bgm is uninspired and there is something so stiff about the animation, cant put my finger onit. On the other hand I quite like the silences they use. It fits the setting of space nicely.

At least Yang´s voice actor is really good. Cant say that about others so far.
Oh_Rusty_NailApr 3, 2018 2:16 PM
Apr 1, 2018 8:03 AM

Oct 2011
I really liked it.

I never expected it to be like the OVAS, but I think this will be a very entertaining alternative.
For me, the CGI was very good and I thought the music was a lot better than I expected. Especially that part with the piano.

Cannot wait to see more of Yang!
Apr 1, 2018 10:23 AM

Sep 2012

Opening reminds me of this song so much lel
Apr 2, 2018 7:59 AM

Apr 2009
I actually like the first episode. I have to get used to the new VA's, especially with Mamo as Reinhard. I was surprised to hear Suzu as Yang, but he fits surprisingly well.
Too bad the music isn't the same, but that was expected.
Apr 2, 2018 4:44 PM

Nov 2016
A solid start.

Themesongs were good and also the sound in general. The CGI was decent too and while I didn't have a problem with the characters in the PV's they seemed kinda lifeless during this episode,hope this impression will change over the course of this series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 3, 2018 1:02 AM

Jun 2011
So do anyone know who was with Yang in the battle of Astate in the book? Lao or Attenborough?
My two translated versions are exactly the opposite about this. Did Tanaka modified his book?
Apr 3, 2018 3:48 AM
Apr 2018
2thuriel said:
So do anyone know who was with Yang in the battle of Astate in the book? Lao or Attenborough?
My two translated versions are exactly the opposite about this. Did Tanaka modified his book?

Lao is with Yang in Astate. Attenborough will appear later on in the novel it's in volume 3.
Apr 3, 2018 5:39 AM

Nov 2015
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
I am a noob so can someone explain to me if they are using CG characters?

Why did they use CGI on FMA: brotherhood ? And 90% of anime made? Why were the character designs in Devilman crybaby not like the original Devilman and had weird pacing?

Why don't people watch the 110 episode original one and not the 12 episode new one made for new audience?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Apr 3, 2018 5:54 AM

May 2014
I am not even surprised that the new one sucks, good remakes is like catching lighting in a bottle, it's so rare, so fucking rare.
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Apr 3, 2018 6:54 AM

Dec 2014
So this is the infamous Legend of Galactic heroes, well at least it's the remake of it. I thought it was pretty good.

The CGI is surprisingly really good, quite well done and I actually like the look of the battles and I'm glad they used standard 2D animation for the other scenes.

Can't really say much apart from him it priming up to be an interesting battle of wits. I assume this Wang guy from the last fleet wanted to split his fleet up into two so he can flank from both sides but does he have something else planned as well?

Looking forward to next week.
Apr 3, 2018 6:59 AM
Apr 2018
DarkChaplain said:
The CG is so disappointing. It is everywhere, with the only non-CG objects seeming to be the characters, which blend terribly with the CG environments. Especially jarring when 2D Reinhard sits on CG chair in a CG command room with CG battlespace in front and CG copy-pasted ships in the background. On top of that, the lipe and facial animations are lackluster.

The character designs really aren't evocative either. I honestly struggle to see any of Reinhard's charisma represented here. It all feels very stiff and instead of being a gloriously handsome gold-locked genius, Reinhard ends up being generic bishounen 01.
As somebody who adored the novel series and the aesthetics of the original series, this one feels like a poor effort, flashy in all the wrong places

Actually CG is really good if the setting is space did you watch Knight of Sidonia? It was made by polygon and it's pure CG, it's only bad in the conversation but when it comes to action it's really great.
Apr 3, 2018 7:17 AM

Feb 2013
Old_School_Akira said:
Oh_Rusty_Nail said:
I am a noob so can someone explain to me if they are using CG characters?

Why did they use CGI on FMA: brotherhood ? And 90% of anime made? Why were the character designs in Devilman crybaby not like the original Devilman and had weird pacing?

Why don't people watch the 110 episode original one and not the 12 episode new one made for new audience?

It was genuine question, I dont know much about how anime is made today. Calm your tits.
Apr 3, 2018 7:28 AM

Jul 2015
I was optimistic about this remake and it certainly delivered, the action scenes were so awesome.

Can't wait to see more of it, we also already got to see how cool some of the MCs are.
Apr 3, 2018 7:28 AM

Mar 2016
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Planning on watching the original series while watching the new one. It seems like the first episode covers the 1988 movie, while focusing primarily on the Imperial side (correct me if I'm wrong though).

You are wrong. It's starting at exactly the same point at the old main OVA starts, with the battle of Astate, which was also covered in two episodes in the original. This version is better, though that's not saying much, as the original adaptation of the Battle at Astate sucked. There was a remake movie made which is a bit better version of the events than what we got here, though. It covers the politics among the admirals a lot better, among other things that I've noted so far.
Apr 3, 2018 7:48 AM

Sep 2014
More Yang gets more Swang

Meh start, have low expectation on this but lets see how it goes...

Apr 3, 2018 7:49 AM

Jun 2011
RyuuSasakura12 said:
2thuriel said:

Lao is with Yang in Astate. Attenborough will appear later on in the novel it's in volume 3.

substance book did say so, but my e-book version told me Attenborough was at Astate.

Some other fans wrote to the publisher years ago, however the reply was still ambiguous...
Apr 3, 2018 7:54 AM

May 2013
That was pretty good. We'll see where it goes.

Apr 3, 2018 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
As a guy who has LOGTH has my 3rd favorite anime...I actually thought this was a better start than the original series(but I still think Overturne for a New World is the best starting point for the beginning)

I'm curious on why they didn't do My Conquest is the Sea of the Stars first...maybe a OVA or Movie later?
Sup...
Apr 3, 2018 8:04 AM

Feb 2017
Pretty good start. I really like the OP. Battles and the CGI looked great. We'll probably get Yang's perspective next episode, looking forward to it.
Apr 3, 2018 8:05 AM

Nov 2009
I am sincerely glad I watched the original before this. I actually thought of introducing myself to this epic through the remake, but...now I see I did the right thing by checking out the original first.

There is nothing 'wrong' with the remake per se, but to me it's way too...modern?? I can't take the character designs seriously, in fact, I think they look worse here (I didn't recognize some of the characters at first) and I think they lost some originality to each individual. And all of that CGI...Yeah, I dunno, maybe I am too old-fashioned or something.XDDD The old maps made better sense to me though with less of that flashy-ness...
And the music.....yeah, I dunno...no XD

Anywho, I guess new fans will appreciate it, I personally don't. It did one good thing for me though: it made me want to rewatch the original.XD Yay!
Apr 3, 2018 8:08 AM

Jul 2017
The original is one of my favorite anime of all time.

For this show, it's not a bad start. The CG was very solid and the action definitely was interesting.

However, I feel like it doesn't truly feel like a LOTGH show just yet.

I'd rate this episode a 7/10. I do have hope that it'll get better in the upcoming episodes.
Apr 3, 2018 8:28 AM

Feb 2013
It's a pity that it doesn't start from their childhood, maybe they will show stuff in the next episodes.
Apr 3, 2018 8:29 AM

Jul 2016
I really don't get the hate it receives, I watched the original anime and have to say I expected utter garbage. And got a surprisingly neat start that actually might make people interested in watching the series further, which is all I ever wanted.
Apr 3, 2018 8:42 AM

Oct 2013
Hmmm
Id say presentation wise the battles where as good as the first series despite being different
Reinhard and Kircheis seem to be being presented true to their character from the original so far but like episode did feel rushed though. I never felt like the battles in the original skipped around in an instant like this where characters say it'll take 4 to 6 hours to do one thing only to instantly job to that action
Apr 3, 2018 8:42 AM

Aug 2012
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Planning on watching the original series while watching the new one. It seems like the first episode covers the 1988 movie, while focusing primarily on the Imperial side (correct me if I'm wrong though).

OP and ED were pretty good and the OST is solid. The CGI work is amazing. Visually appealing throughout, and the character designs are good enough. The older-aged characters look much more appealing than the younger ones though.

Episode 1 actually covers the episode 1 from the original series.
Apr 3, 2018 8:43 AM

Sep 2015
The reboot had a phenomenal opening episode. I am surprised how focused and intriguing the plot was. The CGI is jaw-dropping and the soundtrack, aside from the piano bits, made the battles more exciting! It will take a while for me to convert from the original to the reboot though! The only thing I missed was Reinhard's voice from the original. Mamoru as Reinhard is fine, but I love Horikawa's fabulous tone more!

The way everything was built-up to Yang's strategy had me on the edge. I cannot wait for the next episode! I am super excited to see Yang's perspective and how the reboot will do the character justice. The reboot feels just as immersive, if not more, as the original in my opinion. Super excited to see how the anime community will react towards the amazing encyclopedic journey of galactic history.
Apr 3, 2018 8:46 AM
Jan 2016
I could see the potential for the future episodes, but this episode alone was so-so. The space battle was felt kind of rushed & lack any real stake. As for the CGI, it's quite good. Better than I expected.
Apr 3, 2018 9:01 AM
Oct 2016
This first episode was more specific than the old one, it only focused on the empire side, but it was a good start, some things were changed and some things were forgotten, but I do not think it should have an impact in the future, the only change that I personally do not I liked it, it was the two main ones getting to know each other in this battle, their dialogue in the old one with a little fear of the other was great, otherwise my only complaint is with the music, which is really bad for this type of anime. Anyway, as a fan of the original series, I can only say that I liked the first ep and this new adaptation has a future
Apr 3, 2018 9:02 AM

Sep 2013
Really cool first episode, they stay in the spirit of the original anime. While it can't surpass the original due to the shorter length, this will serve as a nice reminiscence of the original OVA from the looks of things.

The ending was sick, what an entrance by Yang.
Apr 3, 2018 9:06 AM

Sep 2013
Signifie said:
The battle choreography and overusage of the free moving camera has basically resulted in a lot of the tactical intrigue and methodical feel of the battle sequences being abandoned for fast-paced, up-close action instead. Not surprising for a modern sci-fi anime and I’m sure some viewers can appreciate that there will be less stills and more varying camera perspectives, but to me it’s quite a step down from the original in which the battle sequences were aptly done without sweeping pans and constant camera movement. LotGH is first-rate when it comes to visual storytelling, unfortunately the first episode of this remake hardly shares that strength.

>tactical intrigue

LoGH is fucking 2d chess in a 3d space
and the tactics are just
blitzkrieg them
"oh shit we're ambushed"
time to blitzkrieg the ambush lol

>famous for visual storytelling

original OVA notorious for still images with dialogue played in the background

you watch LoGH for the cheesy military drama and the sick banter between the characters
Apr 3, 2018 9:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I'm not going to complain because the original series was very nice, and it will easy complain, but i like this starts and will give a chance for the next episode!!! kekeke
Apr 3, 2018 9:12 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
U1111 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

You are wrong. It's starting at exactly the same point at the old main OVA starts, with the battle of Astate, which was also covered in two episodes in the original. This version is better, though that's not saying much, as the original adaptation of the Battle at Astate sucked. There was a remake movie made which is a bit better version of the events than what we got here, though. It covers the politics among the admirals a lot better, among other things that I've noted so far.
Yeah, after watching Overture to a New War, I realized that this episode covered that movies content (which is also episodes 1 and 2)
Apr 3, 2018 9:41 AM
Jun 2017
While watching these one- i am so impressed with it, its like i am watching a gunmdam series but the difference is that its all SPACE SHIPS!!! It already started with the battle in the space...

*the reason i am impressed is that the CGI is so beautiful, the space ships were like a real thing, plus i LIKE BOTH THE OP AND ED OST- relaxing to my ears...

Im gonna watch this series!!!
Apr 3, 2018 9:41 AM
Sep 2015
Best part: Their handsome faces
Worst part: Everything else
Apr 3, 2018 9:45 AM

Aug 2015
cupc said:
>tactical intrigue

and the tactics are just
blitzkrieg them
"oh shit we're ambushed"

The tactics used are two-dimensional and aren't exactly complex, but simplifying them like that is an understatement. Tactical wasn't the best word to use but I was referring to things like the sheer scale of the wars, the buildup to battles, the political disputes, the implications and effects of war, and the perspectives that are followed throughout that all tie together. A slower pace allows all of those to be explored in greater depth, hence the word intrigue. I mean, the tactics used in LotGH are inspired by real-life situations that don't make much sense when converted to three-dimensional space but it sure is a hell of a lot more intriguing than many other sci-fi anime.

Like I said, though, it's a bit too early for me too judge the battles from one episode alone.

cupc said:
>famous for visual storytelling

original OVA notorious for still images with dialogue played in the background

you watch LoGH for the cheesy military drama and the sick banter between the characters

If you just take everything at face value, then yeah lol.
Apr 3, 2018 9:56 AM

Nov 2013
I Personally enjoyed it. As a LOGH fans

But yeah. The battle was as stupidsimplistic as ever. Probably won't hook many new audiences though based on this episode alone.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 3, 2018 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
Shit it is good ,really good

i hasn't finish the original ova myself but damn i like this one alot especially the fucking CGI just look fantastic i really need more of these space battle that i long for after watching yamato
and yes it better than bunch of red and blue dot
for music obviously it not gonna beat classical music or OP,ED but it good enough like the track near the end it pretty good
i mean i'm just gonna take this as visual upgrade watch original for story and this one is just pretty much bonus what i want to see in original

A SPACE BATTLE YEAH!
removed-userApr 3, 2018 10:03 AM
Apr 3, 2018 9:58 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't like the OP that much. It's "okay". Narrator: I need to get used to his voice and the way he talks. Liked the old narrator in the old OVA better.

Okay: The ending and the chars voices and the char design - I can get used to it. Though some of the faces and voices I probably need a long time (Reinhard and Kircheis especially).

Good: The OST while battling or at some calm scenes (at the very beginning when Reinhard and Kircheis were talking) was great. The ending is nice as well. And I really liked the char design + voice of Fahrenheit. Also the ships and their modern look outside and inside - was great.
Apr 3, 2018 10:03 AM

Jan 2016
Holy shit, this is better than I expected. I thought that this was going to boring and not interesting, but this first episode proved me wrong. Love, love, love the art style of this show, CGI also has been used right in this anime. The opening is great, the ending is pretty decent. I'd say this is better than the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul: RE. Looking forward to the next episode.

Jun 2016
It's okay so far. I don't have any particularly strong feelings either way.
The CGI looks fine, except for in the battles. The explosions look out of place.

Nov 2013
Signifie said:
cupc said:
>tactical intrigue

and the tactics are just
blitzkrieg them
"oh shit we're ambushed"

The tactics used are two-dimensional and aren't exactly complex, but simplifying them like that is an understatement. Tactical wasn't the best word to use but I was referring to things like the sheer scale of the wars, the buildup to battles, the political disputes, the implications and effects of war, and the perspectives that are followed throughout that all tie together. A slower pace allows all of those to be explored in greater depth, hence the word intrigue. I mean, the tactics used in LotGH are inspired by real-life situations that don't make much sense when converted to three-dimensional space but it sure is a hell of a lot more intriguing than many other sci-fi anime.

Like I said, though, it's a bit too early for me too judge the battles from one episode alone.

dude relax. It's only episode 1. Even the original OVA's beginning wasn't really that great and most of its build up were helped by the prequel movie.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.