Forum Settings
Forums

What Constitutes A "Masterpiece" for You? • A Discussion About Styles and Applications of Storytelling?

New
Which of These Critically Acclaimed Shows Would You Call A Masterpiece?
Berserk
3.8%
Shinsekai Yori
8.2%
Fullmetal Alchemist 03 (for having themes that are less conventional than BH's)
2.3%
Fate/Zero
17.9%
Hunter x Hunter
13.6%
Bakemonkgatari (Flashy and quick)
7.2%
Mushishi (Serene and soothing)
6.1%
Ping Pong
4.3%
Death Note
13.0%
LOGH
4.6%
Baccano!
2.8%
Miyazaki films
3.1%
Neon Eva Genesis
7.7%
FMAB, Akame ga Kill, Big 3, Fairy Tail and the like
5.4%
391 votes
Sep 15, 2015 2:16 PM

Mar 2012
Different styles, different executions of the same tropes. Many anime get called as "masterpiece", but what elements play into this?

1- Realism?
2- Creativity and originality?
3- Animation and art?
4- Wittiness of dialogue?

An example is how both Bakemonogatari and Mushishi venture into short stories about monsters from Japanese folklore, but take totally different routes. One is hyperactively animated with overly stylized frames while the other is so.... calm and relaxed doing it.

Some might say "all qualities", but I think excelling at one does aspect does make something a masterpiece of its own kind don't you agree?

For me, the unique aspect of infusing realism with fiction and creatiity to create a magically unique world that makes fiction seem closer to reality is the most important aspect?
Do you also have any unique/weird expectations/standards to mark a show as masterful?

P.S the poll is not a versus, it's just to represent different "aspects" from different shows and genres. You can chime in as well.
MikasaSep 17, 2015 1:46 PM
End Zionazism
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2015 2:19 PM

Aug 2014
Out of those bake is my only 10 although I consider ping pong, baccano, LOTGH, mushishi and miyazaki films as masterpieces too so...

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Sep 15, 2015 2:19 PM

Mar 2015
no gintama?

comedy is ignored. hiks hiks.

for me, it deserve a 10 when it can make me interesting to watch it. how many i interesting on it? more than 9.5/10 already deserve a 10 for me. i am simple man.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 15, 2015 2:22 PM
Jul 2015
Art, Plot, character Devolopment, Narration the standard stuff really.
I like meat.
Sep 15, 2015 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
I'm reluctant to call anything fate a masterpeice. I do really enjoy fate and the world is really interesting but there is just something about it that doesn't make a seem like masterpiece material for some reason :/
Kara no kyoukai is probably what I consider my fav anime so which shows would you say is closest in regards to presentation and tone? Also well done mika for not making a shit thread.

Sep 15, 2015 2:23 PM

Aug 2014
absentminded said:
no gintama?

comedy is ignored. hiks hiks.

for me, it deserve a 10 when it can make me interesting to watch it. how many i interesting on it? more than 9.5/10 already deserve a 10 for me. i am simple man.

I say add zetsubou sensei myself but that's probably because I haven't seen gint.

Sep 15, 2015 2:27 PM

Feb 2013
A masterpiece from my point of view can't have moments when you wish a episode to end.
Also if an anime can make me cry it's a masterpiece because it made me fall in love with the story and characters.
UlquiorraSep 15, 2015 2:32 PM
Sep 15, 2015 2:27 PM

Mar 2012
black1blade said:
I'm reluctant to call anything fate a masterpeice. I do really enjoy fate and the world is really interesting but there is just something about it that doesn't make a seem like masterpiece material for some reason :/
Kara no kyoukai is probably what I consider my fav anime so which shows would you say is closest in regards to presentation and tone? Also well done mika for not making a shit thread.

I haven't seen an anime considered to be the apex of philosophical discussions about morality in the actions of war as F/Z
End Zionazism
Sep 15, 2015 2:29 PM

Aug 2014
Mikasa said:
black1blade said:

I haven't seen an anime considered to be the apex of philosophical discussions about morality in the actions of war as F/Z

LOTGH

Jul 2018
Ulquiorra1923 said:
A masterpiece can't have moments when I wish a episode to end or if it can make me cry.

It's bad if it makes you cry? Doesn't that mean it's great?!

Aug 2014
Kinda...but I think there is far more value and application in LOTGH's idealogical struggles compared to zero.

Sep 15, 2015 2:30 PM

Feb 2013
Amarantos said:
Ulquiorra1923 said:
A masterpiece can't have moments when I wish a episode to end or if it can make me cry.

It's bad if it makes you cry? Doesn't that mean it's great?!

I should have explained it better.
Yes, it's good if it makes me cry.
Sep 15, 2015 2:41 PM

Mar 2012
black1blade said:
Mikasa said:

LOTGH

Never heard anyone call it deeply political. I asked about it and tbe only neutral fan said it was into politics but not very special about it.
End Zionazism
Sep 15, 2015 2:45 PM

Sep 2015
What sources did you use to produce this list? Looks kind of arbitrary to me. I'm surprised that Evangelion isn't on it, considering it's one of the most critically acclaimed, watched, and widely discussed anime series in existence, not to mention others such as Steins;Gate and Gurren Lagann, regardless of how I feel about them. I feel like a heavy amount of subjective personal preference and bias went into producing this poll, and the thread would have been better handled organizing various combinations of thematic/cinematic preferences rather than specific series, if it needed a poll at all.

Regardless, I don't think there is a specific "formula" for what I consider to be a masterpiece. A film or series can achieve this in a variety of ways, through art, character development, thematic elements etc.

To contrast a couple of your own examples, Berserk has amazing thematic, character development and plot arc elements, but suffers in it's animation style, which is something that Ping Pong excels in, though the theme and setting is a little bland. I would consider both series masterpieces, though they have elements that are superior to each other. It's a combination and execution kind of thing, I don't really think there is a specific formula to magnificent art.
Sep 15, 2015 2:53 PM

Jun 2015
Bebop and Evangelion are also critically acclaimed, so those should be put on the list as well.
Sep 15, 2015 2:53 PM

Jul 2015
Fate Zero cuz I'm partial to tragedies .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Sep 15, 2015 2:55 PM

Nov 2013
The poll list isn't critically good enough.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 15, 2015 2:56 PM

Jun 2010
Where's the "none" option?
Sep 15, 2015 2:57 PM
Mar 2013
I judge on a case by case basis. I like all of my 10s for different reasons.
Sep 15, 2015 2:59 PM

Mar 2012
AltoRoark99 said:
Bebop and Evangelion are also critically acclaimed, so those should be put on the list as well.

Bebp falls under Bacanno category.

NGE, Logh.

Sentionaut said:
What sources did you use to produce this list? Looks kind of arbitrary to me. I'm surprised that Evangelion isn't on it, considering it's one of the most critically acclaimed, watched, and widely discussed anime series in existence, not to mention others such as Steins;Gate and Gurren Lagann, regardless of how I feel about them. I feel like a heavy amount of subjective personal preference and bias went into producing this poll, and the thread would have been better handled organizing various combinations of thematic/cinematic preferences rather than specific series, if it needed a poll at all.

Regardless, I don't think there is a specific "formula" for what I consider to be a masterpiece. A film or series can achieve this in a variety of ways, through art, character development, thematic elements etc.

To contrast a couple of your own examples, Berserk has amazing thematic, character development and plot arc elements, but suffers in it's animation style, which is something that Ping Pong excels in, though the theme and setting is a little bland. I would consider both series masterpieces, though they have elements that are superior to each other. It's a combination and execution kind of thing, I don't really think there is a specific formula to magnificent art.

I have not watched 3 of the shows listed and haven't completed but 4 of the rest.

I selected them based on the fact that they are considered critically accaimed. Not just famous. DBZ is a bigger phenomenon than both NBE or bebop bit isn't really considered a masterpiece. At least not for "unique" or interesting standards worth discussing.

That said, admittedly there was no "quantifiable" measure to this selection. I take the balance of the votes however as a sign of its well-placement.

Edit: NGE added. I expect some interesting discussion about its masterful contributions now.

Like I said, the poll is pointless and is for fun. You can discuss any anime not on the poll provided the stuff expected of this discussion.
End Zionazism
Sep 15, 2015 3:03 PM

Feb 2015
Anime that largely outweights negative things with good things according to my system.

From your poll DN and NGE.
Sep 15, 2015 3:09 PM

Dec 2013
I put off watching Ping Pong for months because...ping pong o_O Maybe the best shock of my life.
Sep 15, 2015 3:25 PM

Jan 2013
if it makes me hard then its a masterpiece
Sep 15, 2015 3:27 PM

Apr 2014
You should add a other button, since a lot of people aren't going to vote this way.
Sep 15, 2015 3:28 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
You should add a other button, since a lot of people aren't going to vote this way.
Sep 15, 2015 3:28 PM

Sep 2013
I haven't seen any of the shows on the list, so I can't comment on them in particular. I can, however, comment on some general criteria.

I have been thinking about this lately, and I might recalibrate my ratings as a result, since I have accumulated perhaps a few too many 10s. As a general rule, I attempt to rate based on what I think a particular series is trying to accomplish, so if I consider something a masterpiece, I consider it a masterpiece relative to its category, genre, or ambitions. Naturally, my criteria will vary. I will expect different qualities from a relaxing slice-of-life than I will expect from a work of deconstructive metafiction, for example. If I were to consider rating these two broadly different categories against each other, of course the deconstructive metafiction is bound to be more impressive than the relaxing slice-of-life simply because it is a more ambitious work, but the two are trying to accomplish different things, so I don't find it all that useful to rate them relative to each other.

In general, the masterpiece will be more impressive and memorable than others in its category. Depending on the category, qualities that push a series into the masterpiece category may include rich characterization, unusually masterful or unique artwork, a unique concept, the development of just the right atmosphere, hilarious comedy, a well planned narrative structure, intelligent metafictional elements, or a tendency to push my emotional buttons perfectly. Not all genres or categories require all of these characteristics. I'll list a few examples below.

Aria gains its masterpiece status largely due to its construction of the perfect relaxing atmosphere. Art work, characters, setting, and music all work together to form this serene aura, which is the perfect antidote to a bad day.

Madoka Magica gains its masterpiece status primarily due to its metafictional elements, but characters, plot, and art all contribute. It is a detailed and intelligent commentary on the magical girl genre itself, disguised as a masterfully constructed story.

Oniisama e... takes the typical setting of the elite girl's school and turns it into a complex blend of troubled characters, in-group vs. out-group conflicts, and class distinctions. Rich characterizations, artistic realism, the full use of visual language, and close attention to the dark side of elite school life all make this series stand out from the crowd of high school dramas.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sep 15, 2015 3:41 PM

Mar 2015
Hunter x Hunter and Shinsekai Yori. Haven't seen Berserk, Bakemonogatari, or Ping Pong.
Sep 15, 2015 3:49 PM

Jul 2013
WeirdHeather said:
In general, the masterpiece will be more impressive and memorable than others in its category.

But wouldn't that require to watch a substantial amount of anime in each category first before labeling something as masterpiece?
For example in the same category as Aria there is Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou (AFAIK) and in the same category as Madoka you'll have Princess Tutu, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Full Moon.
I don't disagree with your definition, it's just that it takes a huge amount of knowledge and anime watched for every genre or category to claim things as masterpieces.
Sep 15, 2015 3:51 PM

Sep 2015
HxH sure is a masterpiece
Sep 15, 2015 4:02 PM

Sep 2013
Kruzy said:
WeirdHeather said:
In general, the masterpiece will be more impressive and memorable than others in its category.

But wouldn't that require to watch a substantial amount of anime in each category first before labeling something as masterpiece?
For example in the same category as Aria there is Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou (AFAIK) and in the same category as Madoka you'll have Princess Tutu, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Full Moon.
I don't disagree with your definition, it's just that it takes a huge amount of knowledge and anime watched for every genre or category to claim things as masterpieces.

You make a good point. Hence, something that appeared to be a masterpiece at some point might not look so good compared to something new. This is why I revisit my ratings from time to time. Still, there doesn't have to be a quota within any given category. There is no reason why there can't be more than one masterpiece of relaxing slice-of-life, for example.

Of course, anime does not have to be the extent of that experience. When I compare Madoka Magica to works of metafiction outside of anime, I still find that it compares favorably. As I look for masterpieces within anime, I am always conscious of other TV shows, movies, or works of literature that might be useful points of comparison.

Additionally, it is possible for somebody who is experienced in general to learn to "read" a series, in a sense, to figure out what its ambitions are and rate a series on how well it measures up to its own expectations. To go into detail on how this operates would result in a very long post, unfortunately, which would probably best be a subject for another thread.
WeirdHeatherSep 15, 2015 4:10 PM
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Sep 15, 2015 4:13 PM

Jun 2015
AntwanMantilla said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Sep 15, 2015 4:14 PM

Jun 2015
xbobx said:
Where's the "none" option?

Yeah, Exactly

I've only watched hxh from that list.
And its not even the best anime I've watched

[b] OMG I CALLED HXH AN ANIME!!! SUCH BLASHPHEMY!!!!
Sep 15, 2015 4:14 PM

Nov 2014
Lmao I love Fate/zero its one of my favourite anime of all time but its nowhere near a masterpiece it has notable flaws.

The pacing is bad (Ufotable is not good at pacing their tv series especially ubw)

Just like most prequel it suffers from being a prequel since it has to make way for the main series (like the totally out of place Rin episode) and the ending is anti climatic but its need to be that way to make way for F/SN.

I dont like the existence of Avalon in the Fate series its a BS item really.
Sep 15, 2015 4:34 PM

Jun 2015
KuroudoAkabane said:

OMG I CALLED HXH AN ANIME!!! SUCH BLASHPHEMY!!!!

I don't get it.
Sep 15, 2015 5:28 PM

Sep 2014
Shinsekai yori is the only masterpiece I know.
Sep 15, 2015 5:32 PM

Jun 2015
mushishi is my favorite out of all of those but going by mal's definition it is not a masterpiece. So, none.
Sep 15, 2015 8:03 PM

Jan 2014
None of those are masterpieces except FMA. Some outright suck.

Masterpieces are FMA, One Piece, Rurouni Kenshin, Steins;Gate and Code Geass.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 15, 2015 8:07 PM

Aug 2015
I'm surprised no one voted FMA....
"When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred....." - Obito Uchiha

Sep 15, 2015 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
None of those are master piece.
Sep 15, 2015 8:18 PM

Jan 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
AntwanMantilla said:
Sep 15, 2015 8:18 PM

Feb 2015
keragamming said:
*in your opinion.
Sep 15, 2015 8:19 PM

Apr 2011
If I almost never got bored of the anime, it's a masterpiece. It's an achievement in itself to keep me interested in something.
Sep 15, 2015 8:22 PM

May 2012
keragamming said:

Why are you such an elitist?

I think you just watch shows and don't like them to prove how "cool" and "hip" you are. Lol.
Sep 15, 2015 9:43 PM
Oct 2013
Out of those I know in there: Shin Sekai Yori (voted) and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Cowboy Bebop, Madoka Magica, Revolutionary Girl Utena are other examples.
I am Aleister Morningstar, once General of the 13th Battalion of the Hellsoldiers, and now the Grand-Lord of the Grand Order of the Hellsoldier.

I am Hellsoldier, first and foremost.
Sep 15, 2015 9:54 PM

Sep 2014
What makes a "10/10" for me is if I got fully invested in the "story/characters", and that the "animation/music" complements very well or is something completely new and original. I'm not one for believing that there is such a thing as "Masterpiece anime" because everything has flaws, but the shows I rate a "10/10" are pretty much the best for me hands down...though everything I just said is my humble opinion. ^_^

Sep 15, 2015 11:25 PM

Aug 2014
royaldocks said:
Lmao I love Fate/zero its one of my favourite anime of all time but its nowhere near a masterpiece it has notable flaws.

The pacing is bad (Ufotable is not good at pacing their tv series especially ubw)

Just like most prequel it suffers from being a prequel since it has to make way for the main series (like the totally out of place Rin episode) and the ending is anti climatic but its need to be that way to make way for F/SN.

I dont like the existence of Avalon in the Fate series its a BS item really.

Also most of the relevance to actions are only worth while once you've read stay night.

Sep 15, 2015 11:32 PM

Jul 2014
For me a 10 out 10 would bang anime is something with but limited to, characters I seem to be well written, a good story, solid animation, and optional pluses would be a good pst, unique art style, and probably some other shit that I forgot.
Sep 15, 2015 11:34 PM

Nov 2012
fate/zero is a masterpiece for me :>
Sep 15, 2015 11:44 PM

Apr 2013
None of these, but Death Note is the best one on the list.
Sep 15, 2015 11:50 PM
Mar 2015
Mushishi. I live the serene and soothing anime shows.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - Jun 18

49 by perseii »»
3 minutes ago

» Is Poison Pontaro the most interesting villain in the last decade?

Catalano - Yesterday

10 by Spunkert »»
5 minutes ago

» Looks like mecha anime's are dead. RIP, giant robots. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Gashadokur0 - Jun 23

173 by Siri1234 »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime carried by Animation

ST63LTH - Yesterday

43 by JoeChip »»
6 minutes ago

» What was your 1000th anime?

Shizuna - Yesterday

18 by zombie_pegasus »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.