Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 2, 2018 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
y'all can't be seriously thinking that Apocrypha is better than Extra do you?
Apr 3, 2018 12:02 AM

Feb 2012
Actually enjoyed this last episode Rin is still alive. Biggest problem this show had for me was how much of a incoherent mess the story was. Especially the episodes about the 3rd floor. It was hard to follow what was going on. I'm still interested in the general story (I played Fate/EXTELLA on steam and really enjoyed it despite not playing EXTRA and CCC) and I want to see more of Saber so I'll be watching the 2nd season. Saber, the op and the ed were the best things about this show. 5/10 becuz of Umu.

Also yes Apocrypha was better.
Interested if the people saying Extra was better than Apo are anime only or played the games.
Apr 3, 2018 12:09 AM

Nov 2013
gopivot said:

Well, at least Apocrypha had more than only one single character spamming UMU in the whole anime.
I don't hate Nero, but seriously, she's the only thing this anime had.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Apr 3, 2018 12:34 AM

Feb 2017
It was fine show I guess. Last few episodes were interesting and I enjoyed them unlike the beginning. Shame we have to wait till July for the last few episodes.
Apr 3, 2018 1:23 AM

May 2016
Maitoz said:

worst than apo? I can agree if this was the lastest episode, but I wish to know why you think this is worse than apo

Well both shows were boring, mostly ugly as sin and lacking in interesting characters. But:

Aporcypha had an amazing OST, which I still often listen to, while this had no memorable music whatsoever. Not one track.
Apocrypha had its 22nd episode, which was an animation marvel and moves better than most things even Ufotable has done for this franchise.
Apocrypha's character designs were medocre to bad. Extra's, with their weirdly shaped heads, big, flat eyes and weird proportions looked downright amateurish every time they stopped moving (and they barely moved in this).
The episodic nature of the show made every story horribly paced, rushing some and dragging out the others. I'm sorry, I can't be sad for a character you're killing off, I don't know her and she's been a bitch for 85% of the runtime.
Apr 3, 2018 1:29 AM

Dec 2014
LiquidGold said:
Actually enjoyed this last episode Rin is still alive. Biggest problem this show had for me was how much of a incoherent mess the story was. Especially the episodes about the 3rd floor. It was hard to follow what was going on. I'm still interested in the general story (I played Fate/EXTELLA on steam and really enjoyed it despite not playing EXTRA and CCC) and I want to see more of Saber so I'll be watching the 2nd season. Saber, the op and the ed were the best things about this show. 5/10 becuz of Umu.

Also yes Apocrypha was better.
Interested if the people saying Extra was better than Apo are anime only or played the games.

From what i can say due context of regular Extra & CCC + the Extella games.
Last Encore truly shines from that knowledge. Cause it is really well contructed with puzzle pieces in each episode.
As Anime only i cannot really see how you would enjoy it besides the new themes Extra delivers.
While Apo has a upward curve until Sieg becomes plotarmor op & the whole story evolves or devolves from a war to a fight to save humankind (even tho Shiro tried to save humanity fuck Akatthos!)
aka throws every other character away for Sieg and Shiro conflict it becomes a mess.

So yeah i can see why LastEncore is not well recieved.On the other hand if you are already a fan and know about Extra`s timeline beforehand you will enjoy this show.
For Anime onlys it is probably like watching Season 5 of a Anime while haveing no knowledge about the previous seasons.
Apr 3, 2018 1:46 AM

Sep 2011
And of course Rin survived.

Apr 3, 2018 1:46 AM

Jul 2016
I liked the Robin Hood and Drake episodes and the last one against the other DeadFace. However I didn't understand much of the ghost girl 3rd Floor, I don't know if it was the plot itself or the storytelling.

However, saying that this is worse than Apo is kinda harsh I mean Apocrypha promised something and ended with "Sieg is getting all the powers LOL, also he needs more screentime instead of the good characters", poor Mordred and Shishigo.

At least I got more interested in Last Encore plot every chapter instead of facepalming everytime they destroyed Jean and got every good characters like 2 minutes of screentime when Sieg wasn't around, even if I didn't understand much in the beggining of LE.

6/10, a point above Apocrypha and one below UBW. Good enough to me.
Apr 3, 2018 2:22 AM

Jul 2012
Quite decent for the "season"-ending, didn't think that it will have more episodes. Overall pretty underwhelming, half of the time didn't know what's happening and what're they talking about. First time seeing that Shaft is doing this series thought that it's just not their territory, the season didn't prove me wrong, one of the episodes could've been another one for Madoka which i don't think is quite right. If between Apocrypha and Extra, i think i prefer Apo a bit more just simply cause there were a lot of characters to choose from, if not for that i it's around the same average. 6/10
Apr 3, 2018 4:41 AM

Sep 2010
...aha

it was naive to hope that this show would at some point make ANY sense

what was that first scene of episode 1 with Buddha about? Wasn't there supposed to be another servant? What was Kirei doing there in episode 1? Wasn't this show supposed to have something similar to an ending?
Apr 3, 2018 4:51 AM

Apr 2015
KuroYume-96 said:
...aha

it was naive to hope that this show would at some point make ANY sense

what was that first scene of episode 1 with Buddha about? Wasn't there supposed to be another servant? What was Kirei doing there in episode 1? Wasn't this show supposed to have something similar to an ending?

1: it was how hakunon died. Many masters died to twice. Our new Hakuno is the combined mass of everybody who died to Twice. This was definitely explained in the episodes.
2.????
3. There were some bad translations of his lines that implied something completely different from what he actually said.He seems to reference how long it's been and the fact the holy grail war is over.

4. there are still 3 episodes remaining. This should be really be explained in the first post or something.

Shaft started late. SAO took it's time slot (I think). The show is "over", but it's not "actually over"
we've got 3 more episodes coming in July. I don't know why you're expecting a complete ending from a series broken up. I know it's frustrating seeing this happen, but there's nothing we can do and it doesn't mean the series as a whole won't have explanations.

Rani's "beserker" form was explained two episodes after it appeared. etc.
Apr 3, 2018 4:54 AM
May 2017
Someone PLEASE tell me wtf is going on!?
That it? There will be a season 2? What are they trying to do with this anime?
And final: Will fate/extra CCC get an anime adaptation?
Apr 3, 2018 7:00 AM

Apr 2014
gopivot said:

Apocrypha wasn't a convoluted mess or had bad exposition scenes like Extra. Neither did it do a shitty job by trying to make you care about a character and kill them off in the same episode like Shinji. On the technical side, the animation in Apocrypha was consistently great during action scenes and there were also some rare instances of brilliant character acting whereas in Extra the production collapsed after the first episode and never recovered. Like someone else mentioned, Apocrypha also had the benefit of having an amazing OST. There were plenty of memorable tracks while there's not a single one in Extra.

Both Apocrypha and Extra had an extremely bland MC. However Apo's large and interesting cast helped it carry the show till the end while Extra only had Nero. Her character alone isn't enough to keep people interested throughout the show.
Apr 3, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2015
Uh... ok i guess ?
Few thing i didnt understand , maybe i missed it ?
Why the loop keep happening?is it because of the glasses guy ?
Apr 3, 2018 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
Z4k said:
gopivot said:

Apocrypha wasn't a convoluted mess or had bad exposition scenes like Extra. Neither did it do a shitty job by trying to make you care about a character and kill them off in the same episode like Shinji. On the technical side, the animation in Apocrypha was consistently great during action scenes and there were also some rare instances of brilliant character acting whereas in Extra the production collapsed after the first episode and never recovered. Like someone else mentioned, Apocrypha also had the benefit of having an amazing OST. There were plenty of memorable tracks while there's not a single one in Extra.

Both Apocrypha and Extra had an extremely bland MC. However Apo's large and interesting cast helped it carry the show till the end while Extra only had Nero. Her character alone isn't enough to keep people interested throughout the show.

dang that is very good point i'm not even going to argue here
Apr 3, 2018 8:38 AM

Nov 2013
tbh other than NEro and Rin, and except the litle story from episode 10...rest was pretty boring lmao

but damn, 1000+ years of creating clones to fight between them? WTF... while it makes no sense, it was by far the thing that struck me the most... but that's maybe because i like Rin lmao

Nero tho, i loved her, not only she is fun to watch by herself... but her sharing the voice with Kinomoto Sakura, made me imagine Sakura saying some of these things, which made Nero even more fun to watch =D

anyway, seems we will have more episodes from this, i wish i knew that before starting the anime a few days ago... oh well, let's wait then lol
any idea when the rest is gonna come?
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 3, 2018 9:06 AM

Apr 2016
gopivot said:
Z4k said:

dang that is very good point i'm not even going to argue here
Allow me to do that instead then
Z4k said:
gopivot said:

No...no...Apocrypha kinda was a mess. Maybe not as convoluted as Extra, but things made even less sense in Apocrypha (everything about Sieg becoming a master and everything about episode 10, and the pathetic attempt at invoking Zero with Shirou's backstory). Also, there were plenty of dry exposition scenes. Most of episodes 1 and 2 were elongated exposition scenes that ran for as long as the worst exposition scenes in Re:Creators.

And about the characters thing, that's absolutely what Apocrypha did at times! The moment they delve any further into say, Reina and Jack, they get killed soon after. When they do this with Spartacus, and with Vlad, and even with Atlanta, it's always 0-2 episodes before they die! It's like with Akame ga Kill, but with both of these shows, they pretend it isn't largely about "who are we killing this time and how can we make you feel for them" when it is! It's a dishonest version of what Extra is! The major difference is that Apocrypha's characters are presented horrendously at times, making me hate them with a passion for their blatant stupidity and hypocrisy when we're supposed to feel bad for how blinded and damaged they are (looking at you, Atlata). Only 1/3 of the cast is even remotely decent in terms of writing and personality, and aside from some neat character dynamics that do not have nearly enough time to really work, not a single individual character works.

At least with Extra, the way the characters and their pasts are presented lends a sense of chills and dread, as we learn how desperate and fucked up a lot of these characters are. It's very honest about the formula it uses too, so using that as a complaint means you're inherently hating on a system that isn't used cheaply or disguised as something else. Shinji's despair over killing and his subsequent quest to prevent any further deaths on the first floor is interesting and presented frighteningly. Same applies to Alice. To be fair, some characters are far more interesting than others (Dan feels as uninteresting as an Apocrypha character), but the good ones are really good.

Apocrypha's visuals are kinda bad overall, not gonna lie. A variety of their fights are nothing but nonstop motion-blur and disconnected shots with flashy motion-blur transitions. The frame rate of fights like Achilles and Chiron is just laughable at times as it feels like it runs on 4 frames per second. Characters would often not even have a face when decently close in the foreground, or otherwise dip in quality during what is supposed to be a scene of levity. There were very few fights that were even passable, let alone god (and most of those were Karna fights later down the line).

Extra's visuals are far, far superior. The animation of the fights can feel slow and awkward at times, but at least none of them have bad frame rates, abysmal choreography, or a complete lack of shots that flow into each other. The art style works well and the environments are gorgeous beyond belief (especially Wonderland and that school), and the directing lends itself to an often ominous and/or terrifying vibe.

I'll give you that Apocrypha has a more memorable OST. The problem is that the OST in Apocrypha is repeated so heavily within the show itself that it gets old. Extra has decent, if unmemorable tracks, but they never overstay their welcome. Pick your poison, really. At least both have some fantastic OP and ED themes.

I actually disagree about the MCs to an extent. Sieg is an odd case as while he does grow from nothing into a more archetypal hero character, and the concept of the main story he goes through is interesting, more could have been done. This is another reason why the characters of Apocrypha are so awful, as none of them have any chemistry with him, and few are remotely tolerable, let alone well-written or interesting in their own right to have their effect on Sieg feel as monumental as intended. Hakuno is interesting, with him being a puzzle that gets slowly pieced together over time, and discovering why he is so fixated on hatred and death, whilst being an earnestly caring individual who can never seem to truly die no matter how close he gets to death's door. Nero is very fun as well (even outside of the UMU stuff given her boisterous personality and backstory), and some of the antagonists are chilling and fascinating, if short-lived.

Both do suffer pacing issues and certain events making no sense or otherwise not being explained. However, aside from the music, Apocrypha is infinitely worse in every regard imaginable.
CodeBlazeFateApr 3, 2018 9:13 AM
Apr 3, 2018 9:14 AM

Apr 2014
"Apocrypha's visuals are kinda bad overall, not gonna lie. A variety of their fights are nothing but nonstop motion-blur and disconnected shots with flashy motion-blur transitions. The frame rate of fights like Achilles and Chiron is just laughable at times as it feels like it runs on 4 frames per second. Characters would often not even have a face when decently close in the foreground, or otherwise dip in quality during what is supposed to be a scene of levity. There were very few fights that were even passable, let alone god (and most of those were Karna fights later down the line)."

"Extra's visuals are far, far superior. The animation of the fights can feel slow and awkward at times, but at least none of them have bad frame rates, abysmal choreography, or a complete lack of shots that flow into each other. The art style works well and the environments are gorgeous beyond belief (especially Wonderland and that school), and the directing lends itself to an often ominous and/or terrifying vibe."

I was taking your response very seriously and preparing a reply until I read this. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Post some gifs and example if you seriously believe what you've written. The artstyle in Extra worked with the environment only in the first two episodes. After the production collapsed, the composite team totally gives up.
Apr 3, 2018 9:50 AM

Dec 2014
@CodeBlazeFate

Well i dislike Apocrypha as well but the Atlanta thing was basiclly just skipped (as a lot of stuff was skipped in Apocrypha well even then it would still be a shitshow but several details or conversations were cut and alot didnt make sense.)
Atlanta goes nuts due several reasons. Originally Jack posses all kids in the town '& is useing them as meat shields. While Atlanta to save those kids, cause their souls are already corrupted, kills a bunch of them aka mows them down. She feels horrible.

Meanwhile the Jeanne vs Jack stuff happens. The thing is in the whole fight vs Jack at some point all 3 conditions are met for Jack to unleash its extremely powerful Noble Phantasm. Atlanta survives Maria the Ripper but gets cursed due Maria the Ripper`s nature. After that her mental state is in constant corruption due the curse from Jack & that is the reason she goes nuts after that about children cause it affect her to a great extent. It also didnt help that she got madness enchant due the boar noble phantasm.

Besides that yeah Apocrypha was a shitshow. And the fact that Sieg was a puppet due Akatosh interfering into this grail war makes him even more pointless as Sieg didnt have any free will and was just following order even tho he didnt know it.
Apr 3, 2018 9:56 AM

Apr 2016
MonoReaper said:
@CodeBlazeFate

Well i dislike Apocrypha as well but the Atlanta thing was basiclly just skipped (as a lot of stuff was skipped in Apocrypha well even then it would still be a shitshow but several details or conversations were cut and alot didnt make sense.)
Atlanta goes nuts due several reasons. Originally Jack posses all kids in the town '& is useing them as meat shields. While Atlanta to save those kids, cause their souls are already corrupted, kills a bunch of them aka mows them down. She feels horrible.

Meanwhile the Jeanne vs Jack stuff happens. The thing is in the whole fight vs Jack at some point all 3 conditions are met for Jack to unleash its extremely powerful Noble Phantasm. Atlanta survives Maria the Ripper but gets cursed due Maria the Ripper`s nature. After that her mental state is in constant corruption due the curse from Jack & that is the reason she goes nuts after that about children cause it affect her to a great extent. It also didnt help that she got madness enchant due the boar noble phantasm.

Besides that yeah Apocrypha was a shitshow. And the fact that Sieg was a puppet due Akatosh interfering into this grail war makes him even more pointless as Sieg didnt have any free will and was just following order even tho he didn't know it.
I did hear that the novel portrayed this infinitely better to the point where she didn't come off as an imbecilic hypocrite. Half of what you just said I don't think was in the anime, or at least not conveyed clearly or effectively. Yeah, Apocrypha really bungled things up.
Apr 3, 2018 10:05 AM

Dec 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
MonoReaper said:
@CodeBlazeFate

Besides that yeah Apocrypha was a shitshow. And the fact that Sieg was a puppet due Akatosh interfering into this grail war makes him even more pointless as Sieg didnt have any free will and was just following order even tho he didn't know it.
I did hear that the novel portrayed this infinitely better to the point where she didn't come off as an imbecilic hypocrite. Half of what you just said I don't think was in the anime, or at least not conveyed clearly or effectively. Yeah, Apocrypha really bungled things up.

In the anime she just gets mentally broken from the kids talking to her. Aka the fact that those kids are possed isnt even explained nor does it happen. As they just appear as ghosts due Jacks reality esque marble. Thus they skip the fact that real kids are used as meath shield and get killed.

Atlanta literally just goes nuts after talking to these ghosts in the reality marble and thats it.

Apr 3, 2018 10:19 AM

Apr 2016
Z4k said:
"Apocrypha's visuals are kinda bad overall, not gonna lie. A variety of their fights are nothing but nonstop motion-blur and disconnected shots with flashy motion-blur transitions. The frame rate of fights like Achilles and Chiron is just laughable at times as it feels like it runs on 4 frames per second. Characters would often not even have a face when decently close in the foreground, or otherwise dip in quality during what is supposed to be a scene of levity. There were very few fights that were even passable, let alone god (and most of those were Karna fights later down the line)."

"Extra's visuals are far, far superior. The animation of the fights can feel slow and awkward at times, but at least none of them have bad frame rates, abysmal choreography, or a complete lack of shots that flow into each other. The art style works well and the environments are gorgeous beyond belief (especially Wonderland and that school), and the directing lends itself to an often ominous and/or terrifying vibe."

I was taking your response very seriously and preparing a reply until I read this. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Post some gifs and example if you seriously believe what you've written. The artstyle in Extra worked with the environment only in the first two episodes. After the production collapsed, the composite team totally gives up.
Aside from the fact that you come off as kind of an overly blunt loon, I'd rather show clips instead, as they'd illustrate the point infinitely better.

Notice how the frame rate of this fight is far below the frame rate of any other fight in the series, and the rest of the show itself. It's like it's running at 1/3 of the frames it usually ran at. The colors look nice and the choreography isn't terrible, but the model quality feels awkward and the fight jitters so badly it's like when a video game has massive slow-down.

This fight doesn't start off too bad. Then the second half of the fight borders on incomprehensible, with nothing but motion-blur and shots that feel almost isolated from each other. Nothing feels fluid from one movement to the next, as characters basically teleport from where they were last seen being transitioned to, and somewhere they currently are that is far away from the telegraphed location.

This clip contains two Extra fights from the first episode, both of which are as short as the Karna vs SIegfried fight. The first one, not much happens aside from Saber getting her ass kicked, but we can clearly follow along with everything that happens. The second fight had its middle section removed in this clip for some reason but while the choreography here was bad, never could you not tell what is going on visually.

This short fight scene is also decent. We can keep track of every swing and movement, and whatnot. Sadly fight clips for this show are hard to come by without resorting to AMVs (which cut and paste footage so things would not likely flow properly to get my point across).

Also, the architecture in the school is vibrant and magnificent, and Wonderland looks like a gloriously disturbing children's illustration with all the crayons and childlike monster designs (after all, it is Alice in Wonderland, and Alice is a disturbed child). Apocrypha feels drab with a lot of its designs and environments, intentionally or no. It isn't visually exciting outside of flashy attacks, which only really begin appearing and working after 1/3 of the series.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6e7ll7 (posting it like this since there is no BBCode for it as far as I know)
This OP is wonderfully animated. Even when they purposely transition into another part of this overall fight between Saber and those shadows (whom we only see occasionally as they only appear on the ground or any surface), it still moves wonderfully, with a ton of flashy environments and damage effects that rival Fate/Apocrypha episode 22.

I'll say this, the best fight in Apocrypha (Sieg vs Karna in episode 22), is as good if not better than the best moments of Last Encore, on a visual level.
Apr 3, 2018 10:22 AM

Apr 2016
MonoReaper said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

In the anime she just gets mentally broken from the kids talking to her. Aka the fact that those kids are possed isnt even explained nor does it happen. As they just appear as ghosts due Jacks reality esque marble. Thus they skip the fact that real kids are used as meath shield and get killed.

Atlanta literally just goes nuts after talking to these ghosts in the reality marble and thats it.

It's almost embarrassing, especially when she killed Jack's "mother" for the exact same reason she immediately detests Jeanne for, except Jeanne was also doing it out of mercy whereas Atlanta was only doing it because she saw an enemy master (maybe).
Apr 3, 2018 12:49 PM
Apr 2015
So where the sentient clones basically controled by Rin and Rani? I mean Rani mentioned (orginal) that she send them off but couldn't give any parting words back on floor 2 (clone).

And while the clones would explain why Rin kept disappearing and reappearing out of nowhere... untill clone Rin said she was the one and only 'Rin' they met on the first floor. (Is she trying to say that the Rin from the next floor's until the sixth weren't her?)

This episode does seem explain alot however...
If previous champion masters during the last 999 years managed to survive untill the final floor and reach Pierce only to be killed by him how come the previous beaten floor masters are still there?

Which leads me to think there is a literal massive reset button for every floor master whenever Pierce wins or something.

frenze12Apr 3, 2018 1:01 PM
Apr 3, 2018 12:51 PM

Mar 2008
I thought they did a great job with this episode. A lot of the issues or questions I had about Rani/Rin were effectively answered through this. Their motivations, abilities and repeated appearances despite apparent death were cleared up. They get across the hell those two went through for the past millennium.

Even Hakuno hits a good point in his character arc with this episode. Growing beyond the Dead Face existence that makes up his core into a person who wanted to save the both of them. Even if it wasn't practical he still made a choice that fit the person he's growing into.

In terms of comparing this series to previous shows...I'd certainly rate it above Apocrypha. But there still episodes left. We're not getting them until July, but I'm not going to rank this show until it has told the story it has set out to tell.
Apr 3, 2018 1:05 PM

Feb 2014
A good episode it might be, it didn't feel like a final episode at all, so the wait for the final set of episodes in July is a bit frustrating. >.<

Either way, this episode did a decent job at explaining about the role that Rin and Rani were playing until Hakuno was given the choice to save either of them, but tried to save both instead. Sadly, that plan didn't work, but at least Rin's with them again. =)

Last Encore has been certainly interesting with its setting and story, but at times, it has been lazy with the execution of said story. More interesting than Apocrytha, but less fun, apart from Nero's constant UMU's. =3

I'm somewhere between giving a 6 or a 7, although the last set of episodes might influence the score for this, so it'll be a temporary score for now.
Apr 3, 2018 1:20 PM
Mar 2016
So the Rin we're been seeing were nothing more than just copies of herself from the 6th floor, and seeing Rin lives and Rani dies is the end????????

This may be the shortest, but definitely an I don't know what to say moment for me.
Apr 3, 2018 1:50 PM

Feb 2015
Nero was the shining light in this turd of a show. The story was nonsense and the battles looked like flash animation. The worst Fate and Shaft anime Ive seen 4/10
Apr 3, 2018 1:52 PM

Aug 2013
By far the worst Fate anime adaptation I've ever seen; and I thought Apocrypha was bad...this just somehow took that trophy away. 2/10. The best part about the whole series was Nero and hearing her say "Umu".
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 3, 2018 4:19 PM

Apr 2015
I actually like the music of LE a lot really, way more then I liked Apoc's music except for maybe one track. Find it finds an atmosphere really well and stuff.

I do think Apoc had overall the better animation tho, even if i love LE's style. They could blow us out of the water like they did with karna vs sieg tho.

also oh my god, the animator was right, that scene with vs siegfried is so much clearer without that damn filter or whatever that is. Holy crap. TV versions are mean.
Apr 3, 2018 6:15 PM
Jun 2017
Nice final episode (1st cour), that 6th floor sure is a purely Rani and rin battling each other non stop. Thats the reason why they needed haruko to stop this eternal process.
Apr 3, 2018 10:09 PM

Dec 2016
I spent this whole anime wondering wtf was going on. Everything just felt weird, but when I watched the last few episodes it cleared a lot up and made me less confused.

I can see why this anime is getting a lot of hate, it isn’t really what people look for from Fate. Even I felt iffy about it, but now that I actually take a step back and think, there is really nothing I hated about it. Compared to Apocrypha that made me want to blow my head off with the stupid romance and lack of characters having personalities.

The only episode I didnt like was the 2nd. After that it got a lot better. I understand the hate, but I kinda enjoyed it. Besides its definitely better than Apocrypha.... 8/10
Apr 3, 2018 10:50 PM

Apr 2009
I definitely like this better than Apocrypha. The story has been interesting to see how it relates to the original game. Best fight in Aprocrypha is Mordred vs Semiramis btw just throwing that out there.
Apr 3, 2018 11:10 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes the final is open for a second season, because they pass a stretch/or some floors, but the end is up!!!
This end supposes that in the future Rei will help the principals!!!
too much mess for a simple story!!!
Apr 3, 2018 11:28 PM

Sep 2011
Well this was trash till the end I guess. Way to go Shaft, you let A-1 Pictures make a better Fate anime then you and I hated Sieg and Apocrypha's shitty ending.
Apr 4, 2018 4:08 AM

Jul 2015
Ahh... I'm done, I just can't bring myself to care at all for this. I'm just bored here. The fights don't interest me at all, nor the story which I stopped trying to figure out a while back. The anime just became background noise. Though this episode took quite an interesting turn and got me a little interested in what was actually happening again, little late though. Anyway, 5/10.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 4, 2018 4:25 AM

Nov 2014
There needs to be more Typemoon Anime like this. You read the source, the sequel is an Anime, and it avoids the cancer of Anime only fans.

Anyway this might be my favorite Fate anime.
Nasu is great at mysteries. I was completely confused at first but he answered most of my questions, and furthered the backstories of Nero and Rin.
Hakuno being a completed character didn't need much character development or characterization. Just adaption to the situation.

This is probably the only Typemoon Anime where he was in full control. Action being BTFO'd and everything else shining.
8/10 though the last 3 episodes could change that
Apr 4, 2018 12:21 PM

Dec 2015
How is this the worst Fate adaptation? Grand Order was quite a bit worse. At least we got Madoka-esque Shaft settings in this adaptation. x'D
cwade12cApr 4, 2018 12:24 PM
Apr 5, 2018 6:14 PM

Jul 2017
I really fail to understand why people think Apo is better than LE. But then my bias towards red saber might've had a say in my ratings

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Apr 7, 2018 8:13 AM

Mar 2012
So, I’ve re watched the entire series till now and here are some of my impressions as someone who is familiar with the source material and the nasuverse.

First of all, this anime isn’t for anime only people at all and it’s completely understandable that most of them hate this. I’m really baffled how a few anime only seem to like this.This should have been advertised as a side story to extra from the start.

I really liked the concept of last encore with seraph being in decay and each floor being its own little world but they didn’t have enough time to explore such a concept in depth with 10(13) episodes even with the assumption that the viewer has played the game. I think Nasu wrote more than what can be put in an anime(again) and as a result the pacing of the show is too uneven. There is too much slow exposition with too much of it coming in a form of random hallucinations followed by little and rushed pay off and it suffers a lot from the show don’t tell problem. And even with all that exposition there are still many parts that are really confusing and open to interpretation even for those familiar with the setting simply because it just doesn’t give enough information, a lot of it is too vague and the characters themselves don’t seem to care. Most of it does make sense if you’ve played the game and stop to analyze it but the delivery is lacking in many ways.

The focus is mainly on the main pair and everyone else serves as a folly for them. The same was true for the game but there it had the time to explore them before killing them of in an episodic manner. Here every floor has a twisted version of the same characters and after giving a dry exposition about them they kill them. It’s understandable with the small episode count and since they assume we already know them but imo they should have found a better way to handle the side characters.

The most important thing is the mystery about the Hakuno. A mystery that had a predictable conclusion from the first few episodes for those familiar with the setting and about a character that could have been more interesting.
In the game Hakuno is really bland and that’s something that is addressed by the story too. His main conflict comes from the fact that he is an npc with no identity and ego. In last encore he is the accumulation of the hatred and regrets of dead players which imo is a better and more interesting origin for a character that creates a stronger conflict. The problem is that there is a dissonance between what’s in his head and his actual personality. He keeps saying that he hates everything but almost never displays it, he is as passive as game Hakuno.
I did like that he is more competent than game Hakuno and not just a dead weight and that he doesn’t have any annoying slice of life/harem main mc scenes.

About the visuals. The production values are really low. I love the madoka art style especially in the third floor but the animation itself is too stiff and limited and the short fights have nonexistent choreography. Overall the production seems really messy. Below apocrypha and not anywhere near ufo.

Overall, I think last encore was an amazing concept that was executed badly . I still enjoyed it for being really different and original and I also liked the atmosphere and the art style but I was expecting much more from shaft . Now time to wait until summer for the last 3 episodes…..
J1m1sApr 7, 2018 8:20 AM
Apr 7, 2018 11:28 AM

May 2012
The anime is so underrated.

Also, nero is hottest and cutest saber I've seen so far
Apr 7, 2018 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
So now for me it's like:

Zero > Kaleid 1, 2 > UBW > FSN > Extra > Kaleid 3, movie > Apocrypha > Carnival Phantasm
KrunchyApr 7, 2018 3:09 PM
Apr 7, 2018 7:57 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Not sure about people, but I haven't played the game and the series still makes sense to me. Then again, I'm rather knowledgeable about the Nasuverse in general so it might have helped. I presume people are not used to this type of storytelling. Since everything is executed in the virtual world and the MC kept having flashbacks, it might hard to determine what is happening in the present vs. the past, which was arguably an intended effect.

Overall, it's more interesting than Apocrypha that's for sure. Not the best series but definitely interesting enough for me to wait for the last 3 episodes.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 10, 2018 5:01 PM

Dec 2008
Loved the character design, artwork, and cinematography, but the majority of the time I had no idea what was going on. Dead Face was cool, though.
Apr 10, 2018 7:51 PM

Feb 2014
uhh meh.... additionally it's confusing and boring.

Madoka set up didn't save too much this anime for me.

+5 due to Red Saber, hot and cute.
in the end: 5/10

^^

I will try to watch the sequel to see where this will end up.
TechOtakuApr 10, 2018 8:05 PM
Apr 13, 2018 3:33 AM

Feb 2014
fate adaptations have been really bad recently, and this one is pretty much down there in terms of shitness with apocrypha. At least apocrypha had more interesting fight scenes...
"Just because I’ve gotten weaker, it doesn’t mean that you got stronger, right?" - Accelerator
Apr 15, 2018 8:34 PM

Aug 2011
spiwar said:
fate adaptations have been really bad recently, and this one is pretty much down there in terms of shitness with apocrypha. At least apocrypha had more interesting fight scenes...

But you just gave it an 8/10....
Apr 21, 2018 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
Meh, is that it? Was this all just promotion for the game? Pretty redundant anime, really.

Didn't enojoy this Fate much, Apocrypha was bad but in the end this was only slightly better.

5/10 Nero was probably the only redeeming part of this show.
Apr 23, 2018 8:38 PM

Jan 2014
That was horrible. The climax (even though a mediocre one) was there and they let it go to waste.

Such a confusing episode, and overall, confusing show. No story, no character development.
Apr 25, 2018 2:11 AM

Feb 2014
Falcomster said:
spiwar said:

But you just gave it an 8/10....

Are you sure you're not mistaken? I listed last encore as currently watching at the 8th episode. I haven't given it a score yet...
"Just because I’ve gotten weaker, it doesn’t mean that you got stronger, right?" - Accelerator
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2018

60 by Apreggi »»
Dec 12, 2023 8:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.