Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 7, 3:31 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to Realience
@animejas I felt the same, the incest jokes felt out of place and the fact that the only person who seems to think they're weird is Ine is a little off putting
The show is also a little to fast paced for my liking, It felt like this one single episode was 3, and here that isn't a good thing
I'll probably give it the good ol' 3 episode rule, but if I'm still not feeling it after that, I'll probably drop it
@Realience same same, the incest jokes were not necessary. I'll also give this anime the grace of watching 3 episodes but so far, I'm truly disappointed, the sinopsis sounded so interesting, sad to see how the age regression thing is being used.
Apr 7, 3:39 PM

Aug 2016
I’m not liking the 4-koma style, but this show is very cute. Hope it gets some depth later on.
Apr 7, 3:55 PM
Jun 2013
I always love seeing anime that people are not high schoolers
Apr 7, 4:12 PM
Mar 2024
Don't like the fact all the females in the family are lusting after the grandpa.
Apr 7, 4:14 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
One of my most anticipated shows of the season, not just for the premise which was really interesting already, but because this is the first show by the GOATs at Gekkou since their show “Temple” last year in the summer, and I really liked both it and “One Hit Kill Sister” which they also made, so of course I wasn’t gonna miss their new show, and so far I really like this one. I wasn’t sure how the whole turning young again would play out, like would the grandparents act their new ages, but I’m really liking what they did by having them still act like old people but look young instead, it makes for some funny moments when they interact with other old folks and their grandchildren.

And it looks like the show will play out with multiple short bits an episode which I don’t mind at all, I think it worked well in this first episode with the sports festival bit being the biggest one along with several shorter bits, Shouzou and Ine really wrecked the competition there too lol. We got a good OP and ED combo too, the ED was a little goofy but fits just right with this show, but I especially liked that jam of an OP. This show will definitely be a nice way to close out the Sunday anime this season, looking forward to more grandma and grandpa shenanigans!
Apr 7, 4:25 PM
Feb 2024
That was SO CUTTEEE OMG

Also LIGHTEN UP guys, we're watching an anime, not passing a bill XD
Say2SayApr 7, 4:29 PM
Apr 7, 4:34 PM
Aug 2019
Reply to JoaoNeto11
@Imi_wakannai it's not a spoiler when you never even watched/read it. Only a theory.

It's just that they were extremely old and then they become young again and everything went better... they just died my dude
@JoaoNeto11 I was being sarcastic.. I kinda thought that was obvious since I added the "lol" at the end

Obviously I know since you've never seen it you couldn't spoil it. I meant it as a "oh shucks they die, now I know the end" "ha ha joke" my dude
Imi_wakannaiApr 7, 4:38 PM
Apr 7, 4:54 PM
Mar 2023
When I checked the simulcast list for this season, the premise for this show really caught my attention and immediately put it in my to-watch list, but...

WTH?? What is wrong with the incest elements on display. it made me feel really uncomfortable. Hope the show moves on ahead of this kind of hideous stuff. Such a terrible way to ruin a seemingly nice premise.
Apr 7, 5:06 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, that was too sweet, I need more of this!

Both Ojii-san and Obaa-san were great-looking in the past, and the little spat with the other Grandpa was hilarious. Obaa-san casually rubbing it in to his grandchildren was hilarious. Realisation of Koushien being a pipe dream after being battered by the Saitou couple was gold.

Obaa-san’s “stay away from my man” is what all men could only hope for, xD. Learning new things about Ojii-san too, like that instant power up from cheerleading. That pat from the head throwing the father back to nostalgia train was heartwarming. There’s something in air between the mago, that should be interesting. I doubt the incest part will progress any further, so some people should take it easy here, lol.

This is going to be a fun watch! I’ve been excited about this for a while and I’m glad the first Ep delivered.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 7, 5:27 PM
Jan 2024
I WAS EXPECTING A LOT FROM THIS ANIME since it was announced, it caught my attention, but when it arrived I was DISAPPOINTED, the very bad animation looks like PNGS and the story is very bad and not very credible even though it is a comedy.
Apr 7, 5:40 PM
Nov 2016
The grandpa is really hot. I can't blame the others for falling for him XD

Anyway, nice episode 1st episode. This could be one of my comfort show of the season
Apr 7, 5:44 PM
Dec 2022
Am I the only one or does anybody also thinks that the voice acting in ep1., was real shit. I am not a expert about this but the voice acting felt real monotonous and I was not feeling very interested in listening.
Was there a reason for it.?
Apr 7, 5:57 PM

Aug 2011
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=2154513&id=70835802

I could not have expressed this any better myself.

If I was grandma, I would've had 'the talk' with my granddaughter. She's trippin'.

Loving the scenario. I was glad to know that after gramps upgrade, he still has the hots for his wife instead of having a 'end-life' crisis.
Apr 7, 6:14 PM

Apr 2022
thats kind of a fun premise, not to be taken too seriously or anything. seems like its just a bunch of gags, although i didn't find it funny, its very chill and i like that. feels like i watched a whole seasons worth of content here lmao. also as much as i like miki shinichiro, i can't help but think sugita tomokazu would've been a better suit for the mc.
Apr 7, 6:25 PM

Mar 2007
Love, loyalty, him wanting to give her the honeymoon she should have had because of her sacrifices when he was young and poor, just awww.

Already loving it, this might be THE comfy anime of the season!

Enjoyed how the rest of their family and community was reacting to them being young, heh. Running together for 70 years, yeah, they're not going to be beaten by the young uns.
Apr 7, 7:52 PM

Nov 2021
I expected this to be a chill anime, but that was literally one of the most funny and entertaining episodes I've seen from start to finish. The granddaughter literally has no chill. I already love the whole cast of characters. Definitely gonna be a sleeper hit this season
Apr 7, 8:06 PM

Jan 2008
This series is so wholesome and hilarious. Between my crying and laughing, I can't help but think of my own grandparents, their futures, as well as my own future when I eventually grow into my golden years (should I be so lucky to live that that). My absolute favorite part was the granddaughter's mind floating in space. Absolutely priceless. Instant 10/10 masterpiece for me. My only criticism with it is that it's only slated for 11 episodes...I wish it were a hundred episodes.
Apr 7, 8:27 PM

Dec 2015
Not at all what they advertised or what I was expecting. This was just creepy and weird.
Apr 7, 8:32 PM

Sep 2018
A lot more comedic than what I anticipated lol, I was expecting far more wholesomeness and SOL elements, not incest jokes and hentai plot gags. Not too bad regardless, very minimal animation though, not a huge deal with such a show.
Apr 7, 9:56 PM

Jan 2017
Extremely fun and entertaining. Better than expected. Not enough incest though.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 7, 10:08 PM

Nov 2013
Interesting and somewhat original plot for anime. Reminds me of the movie "Cocoon" where some elderly folks discover a fountain of youth. Should be interesting to see where this story develops.
Apr 7, 10:18 PM
Oct 2022
It is undeniable... it is not possible, because if I don't want to desecrate the grandmother in a RULE34, then it is with the mother, Kaede... but if you don't like Milfs and innocent grannies, would it have to be with the granddaughter? It's complex!

What can I say, the Saitou house is full of beauties! and future beauties!

DarkL0lik0n69Apr 7, 10:22 PM
Apr 7, 10:34 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to Devonnius
It's pretty cute and funny at times, but the family is weird.

I don't know why the incest jokes had to be included; it's just weird. It probably won't matter in the other episodes; I'm just bothered by it.
@Devonnius hahahahahaha very true, the chapter was incredibly funny, adorable and beautiful, but what the hell was all this? Ruby is losing control again... shit, I mean Mino! The Multiverse of Incest is getting out of control in several animes lately! xD

Apr 7, 10:48 PM
Nov 2021
Honestly was a bit disappointed with the episode, for some reason I had high expectations.

The main reason I found it disappointing was I felt like they could have done a lot of content just getting baasan and jiisan accustomed to their new bodies, and it probably should have taken a lot of convincing to get others to believe they were who they said they were.

Besides that, the gags were all right.
Apr 7, 11:00 PM

Mar 2012
Reply to Triggerfish124
Honestly was a bit disappointed with the episode, for some reason I had high expectations.

The main reason I found it disappointing was I felt like they could have done a lot of content just getting baasan and jiisan accustomed to their new bodies, and it probably should have taken a lot of convincing to get others to believe they were who they said they were.

Besides that, the gags were all right.
@Triggerfish124 I thought I was the only one wondering why none of the other characters were questioning why they were suddenly young again, glad someone else noticed that .
The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth ;)

Apr 7, 11:01 PM

May 2013
honestly i thought it was two old couples going back into the past, but they just became younger, LOL. Was entertaining ep1.
Apr 7, 11:19 PM

Dec 2011
Chanki_33 said:
Am I the only one or does anybody also thinks that the voice acting in ep1., was real shit. I am not a expert about this but the voice acting felt real monotonous and I was not feeling very interested in listening.
Was there a reason for it.?

It's tiring to listen to, yes. I legit quit watching mid-episode because Jiisan and Baasan's way of talking is getting annoying.

I guess I'm just not used to old people talking.
Apr 8, 12:51 AM

Nov 2023
I was expecting this to be a sweet slice of life story not gag humor .
Apr 8, 12:55 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Since I'm old, I found the premise of this anime very attractive. Well, it wasn't quite what I was expecting, I didn't expect a gag comedy more in line with the 4-koma adaptations style.

Though I was expecting some more insight into the theme of recovering one's youth, the show itself was fun enough to try another couple of episodes (and because it's in my Fantasy Anime League team).
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 8, 1:26 AM
Oct 2020
too disconnected and random. Felt like an american cartoon
Apr 8, 1:39 AM

May 2021
unique plot ftw!!! loved this ep, hope the other eps are as entertaining.
the incest is an added bonus fr
Apr 8, 1:46 AM

Dec 2017
I cannot believe this got an anime before Akutsu-san. But still, good to see something I've been following since the start get animated.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 8, 2:04 AM
May 2020
im going to die alone, this is really wholesome haha
Apr 8, 3:33 AM

Apr 2017
Bah, couldn't finish the episode. It gets kinda dull and boring at full 24minutes length. Think a shorter 5 or 10 minutes per episode kind of anime would fit this series better.

Guess I'll stick to reading the manga.
Apr 8, 4:28 AM

Aug 2022
ahhhh....How I wish to grow old and grey with my lover, if I get one.(⁠*⁠´⁠ω⁠`⁠*⁠)
Apr 8, 5:23 AM
Apr 2021
Hahaha this show is so fucking hilarious man I love the comedy it reminds me of a little bit of gag humor with how quick the segments are and the romance is really charming and cute I love how the grandpa rizzed up the daughter AND granddaughter like wth?😭🤣😭🤣😭🤣

So is no one going to mention that the first thing they did when they realized they were young again was have sex?😭😭😭😭

I’m definitely sticking with this the episode went by so fast for me bc of how much I was enjoying this, I’m 10 minutes in then BOOM the ending song came on…I need more😫
Apr 8, 7:12 AM
Feb 2018
Question did the couple eat the golden apple at the beginning of the episode or was that just a sign of the couple's good fortune?
Apr 8, 7:13 AM

Jul 2010
I did not like their changed family dynamic at all. Everything is played up for jokes, I know, but the incest became a bit too cringe for my taste. The rest is fine, this will be a good, relaxing watch in this season~
Apr 8, 7:48 AM
Jan 2024
was gonna watch but the granddaughter into grandfather so dropped
Apr 8, 8:16 AM

Jan 2016
Cute, good relationship.

Apr 8, 9:07 AM
Aug 2021
The production quality looks so off, the characters’ appearance kept changing as it was done by a mix of different illustrators, the pacing of the scenes are often too sudden without a moment of breath, like I’m not watching a whole episode but a bunch of short clips combined.
Apr 8, 10:31 AM

Mar 2013
I was really exciting for this, I thought it was going to sweet and comfy. There was no need for incest ...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 8, 10:39 AM
Dec 2022
This is so cute, the daily lives of an old married couple who can live young again!! The chemistry is so cute!!🥰
Apr 8, 10:40 AM

Nov 2013
as expected from just reading the synopsis, this is a big diabetes of a show lol i knew i was gonna love it

i like how they were so happy together even with all the difficulties of being poor and having their parents agains't their marriage
i thought it was funny how the granddaughter asked if she could have gramps, since he now looks young again

i thought everyone would do more of a reaction to them being young again, but was mostly just "waaa i can't believe my eyes" lol
gramp's love rival for grandma, still hasn't forgotten the humiliation of losing his crush, so he tries to bully them in the festival, but little did he know he had no chances of winning agains't the 30(?) years old couple that have been together for more than 70 years
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 8, 10:45 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to bluekozzy
was gonna watch but the granddaughter into grandfather so dropped
@bluekozzy lol it was obviously a joke, just because granpa looks handsome now... not like she would ever try to steal him from grandma
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 8, 11:14 AM

Oct 2016
how was this compared to the manga?
tbh without knowing anything about it, this felt all over the place
kinda like how Wotakoi has severe pacing problems (althought thats mostly because the first chapter are based of really disconnected manga pages on pixiv)
Apr 8, 1:28 PM
Oct 2018
Reply to Kreikka95
@Realience same same, the incest jokes were not necessary. I'll also give this anime the grace of watching 3 episodes but so far, I'm truly disappointed, the sinopsis sounded so interesting, sad to see how the age regression thing is being used.
@Kreikka95 I felt similarly to the both of you as well. Not having read the manga and just the synopsis, I was expecting more of a slice-of-life romance of the couple reliving their younger years, but getting to skip the initial build-up and will-they, won't-they you find in most romances. (Kinda like the 30s-40s age range for once).

And ditto on the incest jokes and all that. That's one trope/gag that I don't like and one that I find detracts from the overall show when it's present.
Apr 8, 1:28 PM

Jun 2013
Just finished first episode, so these are my impressions:

-The premise is unique enough to make it interesting, I see that rather than being made from a single story it is mix of multiple short manga chapters. While I do not like that format that much I do not mind it either. I see that the show is also going a little bit toward comedy, but it is overall a slice of life one and it is wonderful to see old people getting second chance to experience life again and try things they were not able to do while they were young.

-I see that characters of grandfather and grandmother will carry this show while everyone else will support, and I have to say that I like these two. It's nice to see that after being 70 years together they still love each other like the first day they meet. Others are not bad so far, nothing too crazy and nothing too boring either.

-Artwork and animation are not too bad that they make show unwatchable, this is not top tier animation but it is also not bottom tier so I am fine with it. As far as soundtrack goes so far I didn't notice any significant tracks, will see as the anime progress.

-I see that some people got annoyed by incest jokes. I honestly do not mind them as they seem very harmful (nobody actually tried anything of that sort) and to be fair - giving Japan's liberal view on sex while also being atheistic nation I am not surprised in the slightest of those jokes being tossed around. As long as they stay jokes that is, which is pretty much guaranteed outside doujin area.

-Now, while some had issue with art or incest I had issue which is to me at least the biggest problem for this show now - and that is suspension of disbelief. Now, I never read the manga or know anything else beside this one episode. And while this is fictional story, it is based on our own reality and should to a degree follow our laws - both natural or societal.

I do not have issue with them becoming young again, I can accept that it is magic or divine intervention and leave it at that. No issues there. However, I do have issue with everyone else, and their lack of reaction to this. You are telling me that everyone just that easily accepted that two people, who were between 85 and 90 years old, suddenly got back to being 18 to 20-ish? I am pretty sure their reactions would be much more wild, and that is without involving the local authorities who would most probably inform the Government.

Grampa and grandma would have to hide their identities or risk being lab rats for the Government who would jump at opportunity to unlock the secret of people becoming young again. That's how it would play out in 99% of the situations, but here everyone are like 'you are young again, nice!' and just accept it without any additional explanation or going into it deeper. Yeah, like every other old couple in their years would not like the opportunity to become young again like these two and trying to fin out their secret...

But that is just me, if I turn off my brain I can watch the show without any issues. But if I start to take it more seriously then it starts having big troubles.

Overall first impression: 7 for me. The final grade will depend on how it develops further. I expect a lot of wholesome moments, I do hope they surprise me with something more as well.

EDIT: Actually 7.5, I forgot that the first thing Grampa did when he turned young and saw young grandma was to jump on her in bed. That made my laugh and scored 0.5 on the score easily. xD
Apr 8, 1:47 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
It was ok, some scenes were too weird for my taste. It was much more based on the comedy aspects rather than cute scenes between the two, which surprised me I was expecting it the other way around and thought it would be some kind of Iyashikei lol.
Apr 8, 1:52 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Ehhhh I mean it had potential to be a nice, wholesome anime, but the whole everyone thinking grandpa's hot thing was a bit weird to the point where it kinda wasn't (some other parts were I guess). Like it's one thing for it to be a one off thing, but it just... kept coming up. It's a little weird. And it's just a little sad that the dynamic between the granddaughter and such apparently changed a little because they look younger. Like... ouch.;; But at the same time they kinda wave that off later, so it could have been just a throw away joke... yet at the same time, they bring it up in other ways too? It's a bit off-putting. They could have gone a different route with a lot of this, so it's just... surprising to see what direction they went. It's an almost fanservice route when there's so much more that could be told. I had high hopes, but I might leave this alone. At the same time, I'm wondering if they only wanted to get the weird aspects out of the way in the first episode and the rest might be okay? I've seen that happening recently like with Dekoboko Majo no Oyako Jijou, the first episode is the most uncomfortable in my opinion and then the rest is fine. Or going another direction, Uramichi Oniisan's first episode was kinda depressing joke after depressing joke, but every episode after was a lot more balanced. So I feel like maybe I should stick around just in case, but dang if it continues like this then I don't know...

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Aversa - Jun 16

126 by AryaJona »»
Aug 24, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 10 Discussion

Aversa - Jun 9

46 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 8, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 14

60 by Komlan_6 »»
Aug 8, 3:49 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 9 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

39 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 7, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Jiisan Baasan Wakagaeru Episode 8 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 26

40 by patkarunungan »»
Aug 6, 5:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.