Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 6, 2020 1:20 AM
Dec 2018
PlanetCeres said:
The poll is high as hell but the score is low. I just don't understand how it's so low that 1st episode was an absolute banger.

That's because most people have given a score of 8. Honestly I would have given it a 9 if I wasn't a fan of franchise. Also the haters (giving a score of 1) play a significant role in bringing down the overall score.
Jan 6, 2020 5:10 AM

Oct 2019
Oh boi, old soundtrack and also the original cast on OP really give you a nostalgic feels
Jan 6, 2020 6:02 AM

Jul 2014
Well, it certainly felt like Madoka Magica, but the pacing is such that I think it's going to take a few episodes before we can really judge it.

The dream feels like such a trap, though.
Jan 6, 2020 7:12 AM
Jun 2019
salarx said:
PlanetCeres said:
The poll is high as hell but the score is low. I just don't understand how it's so low that 1st episode was an absolute banger.

That's because most people have given a score of 8. Honestly I would have given it a 9 if I wasn't a fan of franchise. Also the haters (giving a score of 1) play a significant role in bringing down the overall score.

You forgot about people who only score after the last EP. The anime usually goes up (or down) a lot after it's over.
Jan 6, 2020 7:17 AM
Dec 2018
gostosadozap said:
salarx said:

You forgot about people who only score after the last EP. The anime usually goes up (or down) a lot after it's over.

Ah yes also that. I guess the fans are absent from this show otherwise there's boost of 10 scores. Or maybe the fans aren't interested in scores anyway.
Jan 6, 2020 7:35 AM
Aug 2015
Atavistic said:
Well, it certainly felt like Madoka Magica, but the pacing is such that I think it's going to take a few episodes before we can really judge it.

The dream feels like such a trap, though.

yeah, the dream is definitely suspicous, the runes in the dream at the end of the episode translated to:

WE ESCAPED FROM THE ORDINARY
WE DO NOT CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK
WE DO NOT GLORIFY THE PAST
WE DO NOT TOLERATE ANGER
WE DO NOT RELY ON BLOOD TIES
WE AFFIRM OURSELVES AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR NEIGHBOURS
Jan 6, 2020 10:10 AM

Jun 2013
Nice episode, the city us amazing and I can't wait to see who's going to lose their head in episode 3
Jan 6, 2020 10:44 AM

Dec 2015
Good start. I'm glad they used some Kajiura's tracks here and also retain the aesthetics of PMMM mostly.

Really dig the character designs and the MC is so cute
Jan 6, 2020 12:14 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a battle to start the ep off huh. Great way to show the power of the witches though. Though a magical girl of some ability looks like Iroha doesn't have that much confidence in herself. The battle between the witch and Iroha, Kuroe and later Yachiyo though was pretty interesting. Looks like Kamihama has become quite the popular destination thanks to that rumour. Overall a solid first ep that while more action heavy than expected managed to balance it well with the story and the intro of new characters and settings. Im quite curious about this rumour though that seems to have drawn in quite a lot of people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2020 12:59 PM

Apr 2017
You know you're in a for a good time when the first musical piece is Sis Puella Magica!

The visuals were a bit confusing in the witch labyrinth sequences, what with the blending between the collage style of PMMM and some CG, but I was glad to see the classic style near the end. The meeting between Iroha, Kuroe and the blue-haired magical girl mirrors the introduction of Mami in PMMM.

I'm really curious who's drawing all the magical girls to Kamihama; I'm guessing that what Iroha saw a premonition of things to come, or maybe a warning? It's shaping up to be a solid mystery plot.
Jan 6, 2020 3:03 PM

May 2013
Entertaining enough time.

Can't wait till this show gets as sad and unwatchable as the original.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 6, 2020 3:25 PM
May 2019
Not gonna lie that was surprisingly good. I love so much the first series so I have huge standards for Madoka and I really hope this gets to be a good show that enriches the Madoka universe.
Jan 6, 2020 5:44 PM

Sep 2019
I'm glad it still has the same atmosphere as madoka. The OP especially, one of the best from trysail. I'm looking forward to this~

P.S Yachiyo Best Gurl x)

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 6, 2020 7:23 PM

Oct 2010
I got excited every time an OST from the old anime started playing. I also had a fangasm when I saw all of the original girls in the OP for a split second.

I'm super hyped for this.
Jan 6, 2020 8:03 PM

Sep 2018
I’m highly excited for this anime! I know people are gonna die (well I’m pretty sure) but i don’t know who. Seeing the fighting scenes again are nostalgic! Anyways, in the end it shows us the main girls wish, I wonder if Ui was actually real since she’s disappeared now, or if the wish made her disappear Orr if that was just the main girl remising about her wish and about how her sister is now gone. Hopefully they talk about it in the later episodes!
Jan 7, 2020 1:13 AM

May 2010
I have my concerns, episode 1 seems promising but I heard this will be only 13 episodes.

My thoughts so far

1 the storytelling in this episode seems rather rushed yet still felt slow, it also doesn't seem very consistent, it honestly feels like the world they are in is a labyrinth like in Rebellion.

2 they didn't really introduce us to the characters much, I feel like the writers of this show have assumed the viewers have played the games and thus already know all there is to know.

3 the reason for why iroha is going to Kamihama City seemed rushed and poorly explained.

4 the lack of yuki kajiura concerns me because a huge part of why the series was so dark and moody in the first place was it's OST, though sis puelli magica seems to be heard in this episode, I worry the rest of soundtrack won't be as dark or appropriate as it was in the original

5 overall the episode felt rushed, like the interactions with the teacher in which the dialogue appeared to be going a mile a minute and the subtitles could barely keep up, felt like the writers were trying to cram as much dialogue into the episode as possible

My expections are admittedly high because the original series is a masterpiece to me, so for that reason I am hopeful this won't disappoint me, but if it's only a single cour 13 episode season like I have already heard, then I feel it'll be rushed or they won't complete a story at all and leave it at a cliffhanger to encourage others to play the game.

I haven't played the game, not a fan of gachas and I consider them predatory.
Infinite growth is the ideology of a cancer cell
Jan 7, 2020 2:29 AM
Dec 2018
bcasey25raptor said:

2 they didn't really introduce us to the characters much, I feel like the writers of this show have assumed the viewers have played the games and thus already know all there is to know.

I felt the same the first time I watched 3-gatsu no lion. But as the story unfolds, you get to know the characters and everything feels natural.

Although Iroha would eventually go to Kamihama City only daily basic, the first episode doesn't indicate this. She reached Kamihama by accident.

The first episode might feel rushed to some, but it tells the basic plot of Magia Record, a city Kamihama where magic girls can be saved, a girl Iroha who's searching for her sister. The dialogues of teacher are insignificance, but the signs that appear do have significance.
salarxJan 7, 2020 2:34 AM
Jan 7, 2020 6:59 AM

Aug 2018
Hum, I expected something like bright, shiny & colorful with a pike of humor or fun but this show seems to be the exact opposite : quite creepy, dark overall (especially the last revelation scene). Looking intriguing though, I want to learn more about this universe from now.
Jan 7, 2020 8:02 AM
Jun 2019
bcasey25raptor said:
I have my concerns, episode 1 seems promising but I heard this will be only 13 episodes.

My thoughts so far

1 the storytelling in this episode seems rather rushed yet still felt slow, it also doesn't seem very consistent, it honestly feels like the world they are in is a labyrinth like in Rebellion.

3 the reason for why iroha is going to Kamihama City seemed rushed and poorly explained.

4 the lack of yuki kajiura concerns me because a huge part of why the series was so dark and moody in the first place was it's OST, though sis puelli magica seems to be heard in this episode, I worry the rest of soundtrack won't be as dark or appropriate as it was in the original

5 overall the episode felt rushed, like the interactions with the teacher in which the dialogue appeared to be going a mile a minute and the subtitles could barely keep up, felt like the writers were trying to cram as much dialogue into the episode as possible

My expections are admittedly high because the original series is a masterpiece to me, so for that reason I am hopeful this won't disappoint me, but if it's only a single cour 13 episode season like I have already heard, then I feel it'll be rushed or they won't complete a story at all and leave it at a cliffhanger to encourage others to play the game.

I haven't played the game, not a fan of gachas and I consider them predatory.

Iroha went to Kamihama by accident, she was taken by the witch's barrier there (she herself says this in an excerpt from the ep) Moreover, they had not confirmed that it was two cour (26 eps)?
Jan 7, 2020 2:42 PM

Mar 2013
bcasey25raptor said:
1 the storytelling in this episode seems rather rushed yet still felt slow, it also doesn't seem very consistent, it honestly feels like the world they are in is a labyrinth like in Rebellion..
Not a whole lot actually happens this episode, to the point where I think they decided they would introduce Yachiyo at the end and worked backwards from there. It's fine that they've deviated from the original plot, but I wish they would've replaced it with something other than filler.
gostosadozap said:
Moreover, they had not confirmed that it was two cour (26 eps)?
Sadly, it appears those rumors were wrong.
Jan 7, 2020 6:02 PM

May 2014
When Sis Puella Magica started playing at the beginning, I got a little emotional tbh. Too bad Yuki isn't doing the new soundtrack, but it's good to hear some of her excellent pieces from the original anime.

I was a little worried that Shaft might not put too much effort into the animation of this sort of spin-off series, but I soon learned that I was stupid for ever doubting them. It looks excellent so far! Shaft's visual ascetic is just something so great and unique.

I'm not expecting this to be at the perfection level that the regular Madoka Magica is, but this episode gives me hope that Magia Record may end up being something special in its own right.
Jan 8, 2020 3:58 AM
Apr 2019
cchigu said:
I was worried that this show was going to be as inferior as Fate side stories but I was completely blown away by the 1st episode. This truly feels like Madoka Magica. Hyped af.

5/5

What are you mean by Fate side story? The grand order is really good
Jan 8, 2020 8:11 AM

Mar 2019
i didn't already like the magia record game because kuso gameplay. though with the kuro girl, does this make this a spinoff of a spinoff? so weird. how did iroha and kuro even meet? will they actually explain it? i hope so.
kind of hard to keep up with the weird pacing, i think someone else posted before that the transitions felt too fast and i agree.
on a more positive note, the original ost is great and i like how they aged up yachiyos design! i remember playing through like half of magia records main story, and it was hard to believe she was an older girl since her in game art looked the same as the other middle schoolers. in fact i like how they make her seem less villainous and mean spirited. she seems more protective even if she's telling the girls to get off her turf basically lol
hopefully time will tell if the anime is a better experience than the game, and that the anime can live up to the same level of quality as the original anime.

Jan 8, 2020 8:28 AM

Apr 2018
I'm already suffering after just one episode. I wonder if it's going to be as impactful as the original series, but my guess is that, at least, it's going to be as sad as it was.

Tons of hype for this show.
Jan 8, 2020 8:56 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
UsagiSanNande said:
cchigu said:
I was worried that this show was going to be as inferior as Fate side stories but I was completely blown away by the 1st episode. This truly feels like Madoka Magica. Hyped af.

5/5

Sorry, I really hate it. Except for its animation, nothing intrigues me plus I reaaaaally hate its comedy.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 8, 2020 1:32 PM

May 2018
I have no clue what's going on

But I'm loving it!

Madoka Magica is finally back
Jan 8, 2020 3:55 PM
Jun 2019
decoboco said:
i didn't already like the magia record game because kuso gameplay. though with the kuro girl, does this make this a spinoff of a spinoff? so weird. how did iroha and kuro even meet? will they actually explain it? i hope so.
kind of hard to keep up with the weird pacing, i think someone else posted before that the transitions felt too fast and i agree.
on a more positive note, the original ost is great and i like how they aged up yachiyos design! i remember playing through like half of magia records main story, and it was hard to believe she was an older girl since her in game art looked the same as the other middle schoolers. in fact i like how they make her seem less villainous and mean spirited. she seems more protective even if she's telling the girls to get off her turf basically lol
hopefully time will tell if the anime is a better experience than the game, and that the anime can live up to the same level of quality as the original anime.

Why is it so important to know how Kuroe and Iroha met?
Jan 8, 2020 6:02 PM

Mar 2019
gostosadozap said:
decoboco said:

it's weird if theres a new character with no explanation given, isn't it? feels like they wanted an excuse to add some anime original content but with the way they promoted her (barely) and the way shes just slapped on into the first episode makes it seem like the writers don't really care.

Jan 8, 2020 6:08 PM
Apr 2019
cchigu said:
UsagiSanNande said:

Sorry, I really hate it. Except for its animation, nothing intrigues me plus I reaaaaally hate its comedy.

Well, the anime adaptation is for the fans who playing the game the adaptation is really good and not much different from the source material, maybe the anime fans only like you will be confused at start, although. Besides the eps1-12 its still like prolog. The actual story will begin soon
Jan 8, 2020 6:26 PM
Jun 2019
decoboco said:
gostosadozap said:

it's weird if theres a new character with no explanation given, isn't it? feels like they wanted an excuse to add some anime original content but with the way they promoted her (barely) and the way shes just slapped on into the first episode makes it seem like the writers don't really care.

Wasn't she in the original? (I didn't play the game)
Jan 8, 2020 8:25 PM

Dec 2015
The eerie atmosphere...
The amazing soundtrack...
The unique art style...
The head tilt...

Nothing changed. This was great! And people said Shaft was dead.....
Jan 8, 2020 8:51 PM
Nov 2019
Well a lot of you said that the shaft style is still there, I more feel like it just a mimic of the original studio style. Few times is feel forced. The whole episode feel like something I don't know what is missing. But the animation is great and the sound is ok (could be better imo).

P.S.
If I can suggest something I would say don't try to copy your old success. This show need to have different feel and potential.
Jan 8, 2020 8:52 PM

Mar 2018
It's 2020 and people still ask what's good about Madoka or think it's a mere 'magical girl' anime? JUST. WATCH. IT.

Jan 9, 2020 2:52 AM

Dec 2017
That classic SHAFT style, never gets old. I have hopes for this one, hopefully it does great.
Jan 9, 2020 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
RobertBobert said:

Yeah, people have already told me that from movies it’s worth watching only Rebellion.

I wouldn't dismiss the first two movies so quickly if I were you. Yes, they are a retelling of the show, but the animation and artwork quality are amazing compared to the original broadcast version. Not to mention a new OST mixed with the original one.

For me, the movies are better.
Jan 9, 2020 7:59 AM

Apr 2012
0ni_Link said:
RobertBobert said:

Yeah, people have already told me that from movies it’s worth watching only Rebellion.

I wouldn't dismiss the first two movies so quickly if I were you. Yes, they are a retelling of the show, but the animation and artwork quality are amazing compared to the original broadcast version. Not to mention a new OST mixed with the original one.

For me, the movies are better.

Well, it all depends on how much I enjoy the show. I'm not a big fan of mahou shoujo, yuri shipping or Shaft in general, but I love dark shows and Urobuchi, so I want to try it. I also heard that Anno called this anime "an analogue of Eva for magical girls."
Jan 9, 2020 8:36 AM

Jul 2019
Just finished watching all of Madoka Magica yesterday.
Now I get to watch this!
Jan 9, 2020 9:00 AM

May 2019
I REALLY wish they would've just gotten Gen Urobuchi to write and Akiyuki Shinbou to direct, cause while I love Inu Curry as an artist, it's pretty obvious they're new to writing and directing. And it shows. As far as I've seen on their MAL page, they've only done editing, special effects, backgrounds and character designs for a few anime, mostly from Shaft. Pretty big responsibilty to give to a newbie and damn big shoes to fill too.

Anyway, the pacing feels way too fast, I felt like I could blink and miss and entire scene with how fast locations switched. I don't think it's a problem inherited from the source material, cause I played a little bit of the mobile game this is based on and can't remember the pacing being too fast. Speaking of the mobile game, doesn't seem like the anime will follow the storyline from the game very faithfully, but I don't know if that's to its detriment or not. I'm still gonna finish watching it though, cause I still love the original TV anime and the rebellion movie!

Also that scene where Iroha and Kyubey are talking about Iroha's wish in a circus(?) and those cat people just start abducting children in the audience and putting them in bags................ If that's supposed to be symbolism, it's hilariously heavy-handed xD
Jan 9, 2020 9:49 AM

Jul 2016
I love the little details and hints they put throughout the episode. I'm not sure if what I found are actual reference to Madoka Magica but oh boy did it get me hyped.

When the music started playing at the start of the episode I got chills and goosebumps all over me.

Can't wait to see more.
Jan 9, 2020 10:46 AM
Dec 2018
The only ones that have problem with the first two movies are the ones who have seen the original series. Those who directly see the movies don't actually know if they missed anything, so they base their review on the better animation and soundtrack.

But the movies don't miss out on anything major. They are meant to be recaps for those who have already watched, and fresh content for the first time watchers. They doesn't spoil experience of anyone, other than those judging by the fact that they remove something so they are bad movies. Seriously, if original tv series never had came, the two movies won't get the hate. But people have to make fuss about little things that don't matter so...

Also Madoka series is something that has to be watched more that once to completely understand & appreciate. You actually miss a lot more of it than you think.
Jan 10, 2020 12:07 AM

Oct 2008
Meew2 said:
Five opening minutes of exposition, jesus christ, like anyones new here.
Almost fell asleep.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the previous posts on the forum before posting themselves. In just 2 pages alone, we have like 2 or 3 people who haven't seen the original.
Jan 10, 2020 2:35 AM
Sep 2019
Man I got too into THE WORLD
Jan 10, 2020 12:33 PM
Jun 2009
Milennin said:
Watched raw, so I didn't get most of the story stuff, but I loved it for its visuals alone. Iroha is too cute.

RobertBobert said:
Should I watch this if I did not watch the original Madoka?

I don't know why you would, unless you also play the game.

I have never played Fate series and I love me some Fate anime. Anime should be a separate piece that can appeal to players and to a new audience that does not know what the title is about.
Jan 10, 2020 1:18 PM

Feb 2015
asei said:
Milennin said:
Watched raw, so I didn't get most of the story stuff, but I loved it for its visuals alone. Iroha is too cute.

I don't know why you would, unless you also play the game.

I have never played Fate series and I love me some Fate anime. Anime should be a separate piece that can appeal to players and to a new audience that does not know what the title is about.

Magia Record is a spin-off of the original; it's pretty normal to first watch the original before delving into the side stories, no? It's not like Magia Record anime doesn't explain stuff happening to newcomers, but I think you're missing out on a lot if you haven't watched Madoka Magica.
Jan 10, 2020 1:25 PM
Jun 2009
The first half of the episode is pretty boring, but after the zenith, it turns to be very good and hypes up the continuation.
I hope it will be a great show. But will it be as good as original? I hope so.
Madoka is the favourite show of mine and I hope this one will be as good.

Jan 10, 2020 1:28 PM
Jun 2009
Milennin said:
asei said:

Magia Record is a spin-off of the original; it's pretty normal to first watch the original before delving into the side stories, no? It's not like Magia Record anime doesn't explain stuff happening to newcomers, but I think you're missing out on a lot if you haven't watched Madoka Magica.

I agree, but to be clear, I did watch original. My comment was about the game.
If there is a misunderstanding I am sorry, as I agree with you, people should watch original, it is very good.
Jan 10, 2020 1:34 PM

Feb 2015
asei said:
Milennin said:

If there is a misunderstanding I am sorry, as I agree with you, people should watch original, it is very good.

Oh. Well, the anime is an advertisement for the game, so of course it's completely watchable without having played it. The story isn't even the same, going by the first episode.
Jan 10, 2020 7:22 PM
Jan 2013
Milennin said:
asei said:

Oh. Well, the anime is an advertisement for the game, so of course it's completely watchable without having played it. The story isn't even the same, going by the first episode.

It's quite different from the game but the basic plot is going to be the same.
Jan 11, 2020 12:04 AM
Oct 2018
Glad to see this series not lose its artistic vibe
Jan 11, 2020 6:38 PM

Jun 2013
The visuals are beautiful and I missed this series. I read that it's based on the game but still, I really enjoyed it.

That chibi Kyubey is suspicious though. I have a feeling Whoever this Ui is.... might be related to chibi Kyubey, I guess. Like Iroha made a wish to save Ui, who I guess is her younger sister and then Ui probably made a wish with Kyubey. Why did chibi Kyubey interfere with the fight? Not gonna lie, him jumping into Iroha's arms was adorable.
臭い-
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

15 by salarx »»
May 10, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.