Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 27, 2009 6:02 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
My favorite episodes of Skypedia were the last 3. Period.
Dec 29, 2009 3:34 AM

Jul 2007
wow this episode was truly awesome. I had alot of questions about this arc, bout skypia, and about the shandions and there nature and what started the on going war, at last with the conclusion to this episode nearly everything was answered. The true tale of Caldara and Norland was told and exactly what the Bell is. That leaves only one plot hole that still has yet to be discovered is the origin of Enel and how he came to there land to start this long lasting 600 year war. I hope this gets answered as well.

Anyways its back to the present time and Luffy is bout to fight Enel for the 2nd time :)

Jan 3, 2010 4:36 AM

Oct 2008
Ahh so that's why Calgara and Monblanc died in regret, because they promised each other to meet each other one day on the land. =/
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 10, 2010 9:44 PM

May 2008
Mna that was sad, but ho well thats all in the past we all noe now that Noland wasnt a liar, well he never looked like one anyways

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Mar 14, 2010 8:16 PM

Apr 2008
Pretty touching ><

Mar 23, 2010 9:01 PM

Oct 2009
Veethorn said:
Same here, I doubt the next couple of episodes could top it, but I'll have to see.

This was simply the best. Truly touching and so well put together. One Piece has had some great characters, but Calgara and Norland top them all for me (out of everyone from the past). I really just don't know what else to say. The story of Skypia and Jaya is so unique and satisfying to see put together throughout this arc.

I noticed the Shandians had wings on the surface, so...meh, I'm not going to try to even think about that. And was that Yama who took the land right away? They never said, so if he's not then I guess he's just some Skypia leader.
-Celestial-Mar 24, 2010 6:08 PM
Apr 6, 2010 11:58 AM

Jul 2009
I really loved Norland and Calgara, and how they help to build up the story of Shandia's past. The history was so well thought out, but very sad! I agree with the poster above; those 2 are the best of all the past characters T_T
Apr 15, 2010 8:18 AM

Nov 2009
ShadowVari said:
Veethorn said:
I noticed the Shandians had wings on the surface, so...meh, I'm not going to try to even think about that.
LOL I was seriously wondering the same exact thing. Maybe it was a religious thing they had going on. Or maybe those were actual wings *scratches head* Well whatever.
May 23, 2010 2:56 PM

Jul 2009
Wow. That was just great. I can't believe Norland is such a great man. Damn that book made me think he really was just a liar.

Calgara and Norland friendship is golden.

one Piece keeps getting better and better.

6/5
Dec 12, 2010 6:34 PM

May 2010
I'm just wondering why the shandias had angel wings even before they were shoot up by the knockup stream?

and man! norland is as a great pirate as gold roger! but he has a cake on his head lol

XD
Apr 7, 2011 9:52 AM

Dec 2010
Great episode, now we know almost everything about Skypiea
Jun 23, 2011 9:52 AM
Jun 2008
link9us said:
wow this episode was truly awesome. I had alot of questions about this arc, bout skypia, and about the shandions and there nature and what started the on going war, at last with the conclusion to this episode nearly everything was answered. The true tale of Caldara and Norland was told and exactly what the Bell is. That leaves only one plot hole that still has yet to be discovered is the origin of Enel and how he came to there land to start this long lasting 600 year war. I hope this gets answered as well.

Anyways its back to the present time and Luffy is bout to fight Enel for the 2nd time :)

600 years of war? thats not right, Enel has only claimed he's God for 6 years. The big guy you saw calgara fighting was the God of that time. Thats when the war began. I reckon Gan Fall became God after that period. The hate/war between Shandia and the angels was already at a point where it has escalated too far, there was no turning back.
Jul 2, 2011 5:16 PM

Aug 2010
Veethorn said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nov 23, 2011 7:01 AM
Jun 2008
reaght said:
link9us said:

600 years of war? thats not right, Enel has only claimed he's God for 6 years. The big guy you saw calgara fighting was the God of that time. Thats when the war began. I reckon Gan Fall became God after that period. The hate/war between Shandia and the angels was already at a point where it has escalated too far, there was no turning back.

Yeah, Enel had nothing to do with that war as it was centuries before his time. The Shandia/Skypian war has been ongoing ever since the island first appeared at the surface. From what I can gather, Gan Fall tried to make peace with them.
Jan 27, 2012 2:11 PM

Jan 2012
i was prepared to quickly skim through the backstory episodes but somewhere along the way, i got caught by these two noble characters and the misunderstanding and the tragedy. i forgot how great one piece is at back stories - the lore, creativity and emotion is rarely rivaled.
Apr 4, 2012 1:28 PM

Mar 2012
i definitely needed this episode to finally appreciate the skypiea arc.
5/5
great stuff
norland is a G
Jul 25, 2012 1:08 PM

Sep 2009
They died in regret ;_; They don't deserve that. The God of that time really is just an evil bastard. Them saying "Vearth" crack me up everytime by how stupid they sound.

And Enel should stop being an attention-seeker. I bet he is just lonely and start destroying islands to attract attention. Outsider getting in people's way.
Aug 28, 2012 1:45 AM

May 2009
Seriously fell in love with this episode. I almost forgot why I was watching one piece until I get that wonderful feeling of how amazing this anime is and how they are actually able to put some emotion into a 3 episode side story!
Sep 16, 2012 12:10 PM

Mar 2010
What a heart breaking story.. To bad they weren't able to meet again..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 27, 2012 2:16 PM

Oct 2010
The best part of the Skypiea arc so far has been its backstory and this hasn't certainly been an exception. I was skeptical too when they inserted these three episodes in the middle of the climax, but when something is just that good, any complaint becomes unnecessary. It seems so easy for this anime to create memorable characters out of nothing.
Dec 29, 2012 12:49 PM

Apr 2012
at first i thought that those episodes were just fillers, but now i realize how important they are. the ending to noland and calgara's story is such a sad one, and it makes it even worse that enel is trying to steal the remnants of i t :( go get him, luffy!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2013 5:26 PM

Dec 2012
The true beauty of one piece...Wonderful and emotional story as always...

This whole backstory makes me wanna see that stupid Enel get defeated by Luffy even more!
Skypia is way too important and sacred to many people, to be destoyed by someone so worthless and idiotic such as Enel. Especially without a normal reason!
May 7, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2011
This little flashback of Calgara and Norland is better than most of the Skypiea arc.
TyrelMay 7, 2013 7:56 AM
Jun 24, 2013 1:21 PM

Apr 2011
I hope the current Norland, and Wiper get to meet. That would give montblanc and Calgara some justice.
Jun 30, 2013 10:28 PM

Aug 2011
one of the best back stories i've ever seen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2013 1:51 PM

May 2012
The nice thing about these past three episodes is that it wasn't predictable. One Piece plots can be pretty easy to plan out ahead in your own mind. Not that it's a bad thing, they still come up with some awesome arcs. But with episodes based around back-stories or filler, there's always lots of surprises and it reminds you how great One Piece is.

Still, glad we're getting back to the main story rather than dragging it out. I will say that I think putting this backstory in the middle of the arc rather than at the very end was best because if I'd had to watch these just to get to the new arc I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much.
May 16, 2014 6:54 AM

Oct 2012
It's not fair... For them to end like that T_T

reinwald said:
I'm just wondering why the shandias had angel wings even before they were shoot up by the knockup stream?

and man! norland is as a great pirate as gold roger! but he has a cake on his head lol

XD

That's what I was wondering too
Maybe there's a connection between Sky people & Shandias?

Lol... It's not a cake!! The cake is a lie!!
I mean maybe it's a family thing?
"Signature removed"
Jul 10, 2014 1:56 AM

Oct 2013
Next up

Jan 30, 2015 1:15 PM
Jan 2015
Easily made me cry and was just such a sad backstory. It's rare to find back stories which are more than just plot fillers or used to fill in blank spaces. This could have easily been a shot spin off series and i would have DEFINANTLY watched it.
P.S. I think that warrior Calgara is HOT! but still the sad plot line took all of my attention away from that hot warrior body. Hah... Why do you play with my emotions like this OnePiece?!
Jul 28, 2015 12:56 AM

Jan 2014
-Celestial- said:
Veethorn said:
Same here, I doubt the next couple of episodes could top it, but I&#039;ll have to see.

This was simply the best. Truly touching and so well put together. One Piece has had some great characters, but Calgara and Norland top them all for me (out of everyone from the past). I really just don&#039;t know what else to say. The story of Skypia and Jaya is so unique and satisfying to see put together throughout this arc.

I noticed the Shandians had wings on the surface, so...meh, I&#039;m not going to try to even think about that. And was that Yama who took the land right away? They never said, so if he&#039;s not then I guess he&#039;s just some Skypia leader.

YEAH o.o
Jul 31, 2015 2:26 PM

May 2014
Damn, these last three episodes. 187,188 and 189 😭😭
I forgot that the Chief was telling Wiper a story, the storytelling is too sublime. I was completely into the story. Surely these three were one of the best One Piece episodes. Way too good. One Piece for best shounen anime.
The bell just has to ring at the end of this Skypiea arc. It just has to. 😢
Aug 17, 2015 10:33 PM
Sep 2014
Veethorn said:
Sep 11, 2015 4:27 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Tragic story. Nice friendship.
Golden Ball on ruffys arm needed at this point for the golden bell? .__.

Oct 21, 2015 10:21 PM

Aug 2013
This arc's been getting better and better ever since Luffy got out of that snake's stomach.
Feb 28, 2016 7:26 PM

May 2013
Oh thank goodness. I just didn't want Calgara's regret to have been his first and only friendship with Norland because he's such a good guy D;

THIS STORY MAKES ME TOO DAMN SAD THOUGH TT^TT
and the generations after Norland didn't believe him either :'( poor Norland.

He's catching up with Calgara up in heaven though :')
Apr 3, 2016 4:23 PM

Jun 2015
I cried again, man come on, what happened to me
Kokoro_Inuzuka said:
He's catching up with Calgara up in heaven though :')

I want to believe that
Jul 9, 2016 11:58 AM

Jun 2016
Oh my God, that was just too sad.
Jul 16, 2016 11:53 PM

Mar 2015
So that's why Noland was a so-called liar.. that was a sad way for their two lives to end.

Back to the action though!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 15, 2017 6:13 AM

Dec 2016
This was a great episode for getting information we so very much needed
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 15, 2017 6:21 PM

May 2014
These last few episodes have literally blown the entirety of One Piece so far out of the water. Holy crap.

Also, this episode caught me majorly off guard. I cried...no way did I expect to cry!
Ain't nothing like a long distance bromance- what a horrid, tragic ending though.
Noland and Calgara waited years for each other, and both died thinking about one another. Heck they practically died for one another (Noland wouldn't deny the existence of Shandora and Calgara wanted to ring the bell so Noland could hear it).

Hit me right in the feels ;-;
Mar 13, 2017 1:36 PM

Jun 2015
This is the greatest friendship story.

That bastard of a king! He killed Norland only to avenge his pride.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 13, 2017 2:40 AM

Mar 2012
What a tragic twist of fate. Who would've ever guessed (other than the viewers ;) that more than half of the island would be shot into the sky.
The worst part is that the Shandians would've been screwed either way since the greedy king was most likely going to use his soldiers to invade/pillage their land to take all their gold. I'm sure Nolan would've been mortified since it would've been his fault if that fate had fallen upon them.
Aug 27, 2017 8:03 PM

Dec 2014
figured their story would end on a tragic note, seems like every piece of backstory in one piece is sad

Either way I really enjoy the storytelling in one piece
Jan 14, 2018 9:49 AM

Aug 2017
Such a touching backstory :(
These three episodes were the best of this arc
I hope luffy beat the crap out of that scum Enel
May 13, 2018 11:28 PM

Jun 2016
I heard Skypiea got better. I didn't like the first half very much. However, I understand why people say it gets better now. The interconnected themes and backstory and characters linking through generations is outstanding. I cried this episode like a baby, and I don't know if I've shown real emotion at any part of Skypiea before this. We've learned why pumpkins are in remembrance to Shandians and their importance to them, coming from Noland himself. We understands the snakes history and what Shandora meant to it. We saw one of Yama's ancestors acting as former-former God. We understand the bell in how it once represented both fallen Shandians, and how it now represents a signal of respect to Noland. All of those plot details on top of the rather long post I wrote about the themes this backstory and arc represents last episode. It's quite amazing.

Part of the beauty of backstories is they can break the formula. Or, some may say their formula is to involve death and a dream in some manner creating an entirely new formula. But in the formula where people can die, stories can go in many different ways and they do not require Luffy to be trapped in a snake to beat the bad guy when the time comes, in fact the good guys can all lose. It's always tragic and meaningful.

Noland is a hero. I love him. Him and Calgara are easily some of the greatest supporting characters and they're only in 3 episodes, at least so far. Maybe we'll get a look at them in the after life or something. Even upon learning what the trees he cut down meant, he didn't try to make any excuses even though he had some great ones. He took the blame, left their gold behind as a form of apology, and tried to leave for doing something so rash. He is then killed for refusing to lie about his experience with Jaya and the Shandians. He had pride and kindness in his heart at all times, he's one of the greatest people we've ever seen in One Piece. The two's farewell already got me sniffling but by the end I was full on baby crying.

Something about Noland that I find facinating is that he's in a way a total foil to Usopp. Where Usopp is cowardly, Noland is courageous and heroic, and whereas Usopp's lies become truth(like the giant goldfish or some various others), Nolands truths become... lies. That's an interesting contrast.

Another interesting concept is that this arc is about preserving history, whether it's the pride of Calgara and the Shandians, or if it's Noland's heroic but forgotten tales via the Shandians and his descendant Cricket. However, the villain Enel is trying to damn history by erasing it all and killing everyone and the land that hosts all of them. He's trying to erase the history that's been so strongly defended all these years.

I recall one of our crew members using white bark to start a fire earlier, I wonder if that had some symbolic meaning now that we know white bark comes from kindred trees. If so, I'd love for someone to let me know.

Wyper defeating Enel would be more satisfying than Luffy doing so in all honesty, as hard as that is to imagine.
May 23, 2018 12:53 PM

Jun 2017
You know after watching that flashback I can't believe people told me to skip this Arc completely previously,dudes man these guys were up to date how can you say such a thing yo?

My man stood to his guns all the way to the end what a flashback. awesome flashback.

CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
Apr 25, 2020 12:59 PM

May 2016
One Piece's absolutely powerful storytelling strikes once again and I am delightfully surprised to say that the past three episodes have vastly improved this arc in terms of emotional impact, character development, and worldbuilding. We already knew how the story ended thanks to the ruins and the different clues the Straw Hats picked up from their surroundings and other people but never have I expected that the events that led up to that moment was of such a great tragedy that came between two eternal friends.

I already teared up at their farewell but their last moments were too tragic and unjust for me to not feel immense sorrow. They've all met cruel fates that led to the hard struggles of their descendants but I guess that a silver lining from the half of Jaya Island flying up to the sky was how that greedy bastard of a king never got his hands on the city of gold. They would've cut the forests base, strip every gold plate, steal their treasure, and enslave the Shandians and Noland wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

Enel's destroyed everything now and that flashback gives me a more than good enough reason to hate him even more. It'd be great if Wyper gets a good hit in for his ancestors with Luffy's help.

Jan 21, 2021 9:34 PM
Oct 2019
So...Skypiea is actually kind of bad, but this Noland and Kalgara story is very good.
Mar 6, 2021 12:51 AM

Sep 2012
That's quite a great legendary story which only the Shandian people know about. I really liked how they showed the back story of the city of gold while reaching its end.
May 15, 2021 8:24 AM

Jun 2019
That was such a good story. Man, I still feel like crying even after watching it so many times. :'(
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 471 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Oct 16, 2010

81 by bakakisima »»
12 minutes ago

» What is the most Over Powered DF combination (might contain spoilers if you haven't reached Dressrosa)

A1ex_Ryder - Jun 2

7 by Divyaan5423C »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1108 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 8

36 by Eoussama »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 540 Discussion

ninkendo - Mar 17, 2012

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 539 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pocketasces - Mar 17, 2012

56 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.