Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 22, 2023 6:29 AM

Nov 2011
An interesting finale with some exploration. No matter where she goes, it always feels like Chise discovers something new even if isn't pleasant.

This episode also featured Lucy although being in that ghost outfit. It was an emotional segment and I think the anime did a decent at job at protraying her personality. Finale overall is enjoyable and well rounded imo.

Second cour ... October 2023

https://twitter.com/mahoyomeproject/status/1671872399565000707
Jun 22, 2023 6:29 AM

Jul 2017
Into the Waste Tower where Chise and her class descends from Zaccheroni's leading in the night of Hallowe'en to find plants and gems, and while Zoe and Isaac gathers minerals, Rian, Philomela and Chise go pick the plants. The stark truth is that those qualified can only see what they need to see, and nothing more for those who can't. Philomela, still stuck in the choice of her own family, chooses to keep everyone out of her problems. And while Zoe is on the search for gems, sorcerers caught him unawares, and he uses his Medusa-like Gorgon power to stop them in their tracks while getting help from Chise, while the latter is known by Zaccheroni by her true Sleigh Beggy origins, which Joseph/Cartaphilus's form from within stops him in his tracks, and not letting him have his way with her.

Alice "trick or treating" Renfred, only to give him a low kick for the relationship that he had treated her like his own daughter, it's clear that his words and actions don't match, but he still makes it intentional that he's hiding something, which Alice desperately wants to find out what's going on. For Lucy, her brother Seth has been keeping her at bay for much of her recovery, and with the unintentional help from Alice for the Halloween ghost costume, breaks down of her own self-inditements and wants to focus on finding out the culprit that burned their spiders.

Back from the outfield class, Principal Quillyn gets a visit from Philomela's family's head Lizbeth Sergeant who comes as the family owl bird to discuss about Philomela's voluntary withdrawal. But despite it being for the sake of her family, the principal stopped her in her tracks, which angers everyone with Isaac dragging her out before the talk could get any worse. To that effect, the College's cat-sith protectors finally show themselves as the College is closed due to urgency and the reports that Chise and the others are being targeted and under attack, to close the gap on the family owl.

Season 2 (for now) feels like an incomplete story at best for one of the most masterclass shows of 2017...and not to worry, because the 2nd Cour's coming back in Fall to continue the College arc.
KANLen09Jun 22, 2023 8:25 AM
Jun 22, 2023 6:32 AM

Apr 2016
While i personally enjoyed the "season", i can also agree with the sentiment of people who found this to be very slow/barely anything happening. It's true that Chise did "awaken" new power of hers ... or something, but it also felt like a build up before something much bigger.

Like a mid season rather than the next one, and even the Collage wasn't a center of it all, we almost barely even got that when they were jumping in and out of it all the time. This College in particular had a very flexible attendance rate requirements, lol. 

Hope the next part is better, more complete.
Jun 22, 2023 7:52 AM

Apr 2020
Worse than S1 for sure but it wasn't bad. 
Feels more like an intro to S2 than anything else.
7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jun 22, 2023 8:43 AM

Feb 2021
Second cour starts on October 5th let's gooo!!! (There are really many sequels coming in fall huh? Not that I'm complaining 👍)
Whoa, it's really cool how Joseph can swap with Chise like that.
Wait, so if the other three also can see the flower does that mean that they have killed someone in the past? Dark.
13:06 Animation error? I think Alice is supposed to be talking here
Yeaaahhh let's go Principal! She was badass!
Whoa, well hello there Eye of Sauron. What's up with it? That's the one who has the book maybe?
This had really good production quality despite not being that popular. I hope this doesn't change with the second cour in October!
9/10
EmbientJun 22, 2023 8:47 AM
Jun 22, 2023 9:39 AM

Sep 2013
Pretty nice finale, so much tease.

The cats weirdly reminded me of the cats from Aria or literal youkai from Natsume Yuujinchou ,so mystical i love it

I'd say this first half of the season did a good job introducing the new cast,intrigues and environments, lot of subplots going on and we already got chara development for Chise and other characters, there's definitely something going on with Chise's body, maybe because she's a Sleigh Begga, maybe because she's cursed but it sure is mysterious and kind of scary.

I hope we see more of the other dimension with the weird dog creatures, might have been the highlight of the season for the magical stuff for me with Elias's master's island.

I didn't read the manga so i wouldn't know but i'd say from this first half they're ready to unleash some good stuff like we saw in season 1 i really hope i'm correct

Also so glad the second half releases so soon like for Dr Stone, can't wait for it.

Solid 7.5/10 season, a show that deserves way more attention than being so niche in my opinion.
ropielJun 22, 2023 9:44 AM
Deep dark fantasies
Jun 22, 2023 9:40 AM

May 2020
Of course dapper dude was upto no good in the end. But he should've known better about Chise before in his attempts to incite her. Though the class just ended with a sort of heated argument in the end. So we're safe on that front.

By the way didn't think hood guy would be THAT assertive, I mean it's in a good way but she was Philomela after all. You never know what that evil grandma of her is scheming. Though for the time being, she's been chased away and Philomela has her "friends" around her too, so we'll see how that withdrawal proposal will go.

This season or more like this cour as a whole felt like a setup. No wonder we already have a continuation announced for fall. Though this not hitting the same as the first season is a truth, but like I said this was a setup to a much bigger plot. If it had been continous two cour like the first season, then maybe things would've been same if not better.
Jun 22, 2023 9:52 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
heh I think I'm one of the fewer people if ever who thinks this season is much better than the first : )

I really enjoyed all episodes of this season, unlike the first season which was so boring imo.

looking forward to the continuation!
Jun 22, 2023 9:57 AM

Feb 2019
2nd cour of this can’t come soon enough

Seems like I’m in the minority but I thought this season was way better than s1. Yes it’s slower paced, but that gives us an opportunity to connect with and establish an intimate relationship with the new cast. I forgot most of the characters from s1, but I can tell these new members will stay with me. They all felt unique and likeable. Especially Lucy and Philomela.

A lot of plot lines set up in this first four that I hope we’ll see pay off in October for the 2nd cour. Especially that Joseph and Chise twist.
Marinate1016Jun 22, 2023 10:00 AM
Jun 22, 2023 10:05 AM
Dec 2021
great episode and anime.
Jun 22, 2023 10:17 AM

May 2016
it was ok. didn't like the last lucy scene when she was crying and made up with the brother.
Jun 22, 2023 10:17 AM
Oct 2010
Ahhhhh, so glad they kept the slower pacing right up to the end of the season with just the right amount of tension built up at the last to keep me waiting for the next cour in fall.

I won't say much about the animation for this season, having to accept that sacrifices were clearly made. They're ones I can accept though for the delightful pacing and slow bubbling tension that worked its way throughout in terms of meeting new friends and appreciating the growth of old ones from the first season. Small moments like seeing Simon again and his gentle teasing about Chise and Alice's friendship, or Silver's crestfallen expression at the news they'd be staying at the college for a bit, or Sahab's grandmotherly interrogation, it's often the little things to this show that really display its character.

Will be back with bells on when the new cour airs.
Jun 22, 2023 10:31 AM

Jul 2014
You want to take your kid home?  No.  There's a problem at the school... so we're going to lock the students in with it!

*facepalm*
Jun 22, 2023 10:33 AM

Feb 2023
i hope the second part of this season is much better than the first. i was completely disappointed by this part... it didn't feel like i was watching mahoutsukai no yome at all.
Jun 22, 2023 10:34 AM

May 2015
Feels bad for Philomela, she's a nice girl.

It was a pretty nice season, maybe less striking than Season 1. I'm still curious for Part 2.
Jun 22, 2023 11:31 AM

Dec 2022
honestly i enjoyed the first season more
Jun 22, 2023 11:48 AM
Oct 2021
it was an ok season … still doesn’t beat season 1 tho personally
Jun 22, 2023 12:46 PM
Aug 2020
the episode was really great, so many things that we still want to know.

i can't wait for the part 2
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jun 22, 2023 1:04 PM
May 2020
Enjoyed this season but different tone than first one
Don't think its about the studio but the story.
Still in my top five for the season.
See you in October Space Cowboy.
Jun 22, 2023 1:15 PM
Jan 2015
cool use of myhtos
Jun 22, 2023 1:32 PM
Jan 2020
I enjoy this anime so much, can't wait for part 2 coming.
Jun 22, 2023 2:01 PM

Dec 2013
That was a pretty hype way to end the first part, I really enjoyed this season just as much as the first but with so many interesting characters introduced I think this one is my favorite so far. I hope we get to listen to another banger by JUNNA .

October can't come soon enough for Magic and Science (Dr. Stone).
KanameYuukiJun 22, 2023 4:35 PM
Jun 22, 2023 3:31 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah with a part 2 coming I guess it would end in a kinda random spot like that. The uni president actually turned out to be pretty cool tho. And the sketchy guy maybe wasn't quite as sketchy as I thought last episode... Anyway guess we're waiting a season for part 2 like usual.
Jun 22, 2023 3:49 PM

Nov 2016
I was a fan of how different this season was compared to the first one. Excited to see where we go from here. The cliffhanger is kinda painful lol

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 22, 2023 5:08 PM

May 2015
Wasn't really enjoying this season, even though I looked forward to it. The vibe is kind of different, we got introduced to a lot of new plotlines, characters, and monsters. The worldbuilding goes on, which is good. It's just I didn't find it particularly interesting. 
Jun 22, 2023 5:51 PM

Mar 2020
The finale was one of the better episodes this season I'd say, with more suspenseful moments and the scene with the principal and Philomela's grandmother was quite a good one. A lot of character moments, with Renfred and Alice, as well as with Philomela, who continues to be mysterious as ever.

Overall, I must admit that this cour was weaker than Season 1 by quite a bit, as the restricted view of this fantasy world in the College didn't feel as compelling as the world-building in the previous season. The animation and soundtrack were also inferior to the first season, though it wasn't bad by any means. The pieces are there though to make the second cour, scheduled for October this year, a more interesting ride, and I do look forward to what it brings.

7/10.
Jun 22, 2023 6:27 PM
May 2017
Very good ending episode! But it is not an ending episode... it is a split cour; Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Part 2 will continue the story in october.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jun 22, 2023 6:47 PM

Apr 2022
hmmm, i really liked the first half and gave this a 7/10 overall but tbh the second half was leaning more towards a 6 for me. 
really liked the op tho and visually one of the best things this season. 
now onto the 2nd cour in fall this year, very soon.
Jun 22, 2023 6:50 PM

Jul 2016
Second cour in October confirmed. Was to be expected given that "Chise in college" is like a huge arc in itself.

Pretty nice follow-up after a truly charming first season. Though considering what's to come, this cour really felt more like a prologue than anything else.
Anyways, the setting changed for this sequel yet atmosphere and overall vibe remained as engaging as ever and I found most of the new characters introduced to be rather interesting. Hopefully, they will continue to complement Chise's journey in a positive way.

8/10 - Looking forward to October and hopefully, another JUNNA banger.
Jun 22, 2023 7:37 PM
Mar 2015
the school had to be sealed because of the creatures roaming the grounds
Jun 22, 2023 9:18 PM

Feb 2017
My favorite anime of the season excelent, they slowly introduce all new characters, for you to like them and some seinen action in the last part, the first season was diferent,
the two are master piece on they own.

Philomena and Lucy are the new friends of Chise, will prefer better if they try to have girls talk secretly and not with the family around.
Jun 22, 2023 9:20 PM

Sep 2018
Didn't quite capture the gracefulness and the magic of S1, but was still a very good show, enjoyable watching Chise in a new environment. The students, the family power struggles, the conspiracies, all very interesting in their own right.

Elias getting just a little annoying with his overprotectiveness and ignorance at times. I feel he should know some of this stuff by now.
Jun 22, 2023 10:37 PM

Jan 2021
There are too many mysteries and questions.... I can't wait for fall to come!

Oh and the cats are definitely not as adorable as they look hahah, that's so cool.

Jun 23, 2023 3:24 AM

Feb 2014
It was obvious that the goggle wearing "teacher" was up to something and he was very interested in Chise since she's a sleigh beggy, but since Joseph is a part of her, it made him think twice and give up on her for now. Hopefully he'll know his place and not do anything dodgy in the future.

It was nice to see Lucy and her brother having a sweet moment of reconciliation with each other. It was awkward, sure, but it definitely helps Lucy to open up to Seth and for him to try his best to support her more in the future. =)

As for Philomela, I'm glad that her fellow classmates were there to support her when her grandmother, in the form of a talking owl, arrived to ask for her withdrawal from the college, but Isaac had other ideas and took Philomela with him, with Chise and the others following closely behind. The dorm cats also showed what they were capable of since they're cat sith. Either way, it does end this episode on a cliffhanger note with the plot building more momentum.

Overall, this second season is a slower burn than the first season, due to how long this arc has been and the setting in question. Visually and animation wise, it's about the same as the first season, which is good as this series does look pretty. I think it's done enough for an 8/10 and I'm glad that just like with Dr Stone, its second cour will be airing later this October as well. It would be fitting if they both air on the same day once again if possible! =D
Jun 23, 2023 5:32 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Kinda sad it's not back to back like the 1st season because it's so heavy that it feels like the cour ended right after they could introduce things
Jun 23, 2023 8:34 AM

Oct 2019
So the story of who got that book will be disclosed in the second part, I see.
Not as good as the first season, certainly, and far less eventful and exciting.
SharpedonJun 23, 2023 8:37 AM
Jun 23, 2023 10:35 AM

Jun 2015
Its very clear to me that we need moar!!!!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jun 23, 2023 10:42 AM
Oct 2010
Sokah said:
You want to take your kid home?  No.  There's a problem at the school... so we're going to lock the students in with it!

*facepalm*
I think you missed the point of that whole exchange. Those two little old ladies might have been keeping up a pleasant facade, but each of them would have cheerfully knifed the other in a heartbeat and, ultimately, that's what the principal did by cutting Ol' Granny's familiar off from its owner. She has every right to be suspicious that Granny is BEHIND the problem at the school, there's zero chance that something like that evil black messenger bird infiltrated the dorms without tweaking either the school's detection systems or the cat matrons themselves.

She actually took a big chance doing what she did, stepping up to protect Philomela who has clearly been abused and beaten down to end up as submissive as she is. That would set a pretty heavy precedent for magic families going forward to say that hey, they're not effing about anymore, we're here to educate and protect our students from ANY comer. And again, it's not like she went into it blind, she deliberately brought Elias along as backup as shown when she asked him to check the wards for any vulnerabilities, and he has a serious, SUPER serious reputation among mages and sorcerers, even Joseph knew about him at first meeting. She's not taking chances with those kids.
Jun 23, 2023 12:15 PM
Sep 2019
The episode was okay, was a bit underwhelmed by the Waste Tower not being that dangerous despite the way Lucy was reacting to the others going in her stead. I haven't read the Manga so maybe its a faithful adaption. I feel like despite this being set in a College Chise and the others haven't learnt that much magic or sorcery beyond the first few episodes??? I don't mind that being the case but giving how bland the visuals of the college are it really needed some more fleshing out in terms of lessons.I mean we spend more time in the College's infirmary then we do a classroom.

Not a fan of this growing trend of Season X Part X, especially when something like this ends of a huge cliff hanger that will be pick back up by fall and probably not be truly touched back on till the middle of that season, I personally would much prefer it all being released at once for the sake of consistency and fluidity of the story.

Still enjoyed this season overall, its nice to have the show back in my active memory.
Jun 23, 2023 1:09 PM
Oct 2013
Pros: Good visuals, Chise development into something more interesting (although slow)

Cons: Dislikable characters, slow development, uninteresting plot.
Jun 23, 2023 2:13 PM
Sep 2018
Ahhhhh Philomela and Issac running away from the toxic grandma was so sweet, can’t wait for part 2 😍
Btw Rian is such a bellend towards her tbh
Jun 23, 2023 6:17 PM
May 2022
I enjoyed this season, but it’s not on the same level as the first. Honestly it was nice to see Chise happier after everything that happened last season and there’s some interesting developments in the plot and characters even if it was a bit slow.

I think the production values were noticeably weaker though, probably because of the studio change. On top of the story not being as interesting and the without the magic and world building of the first season, it just didn’t feel as good. Hopefully part 2 is a bit better.
Jun 24, 2023 4:40 PM

Mar 2010
I don't know about ya'lls but seeing the blonde gals familiar roll on da floor like dat was funny asf. Highlight of the episode.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 24, 2023 6:43 PM

Dec 2016
i love every aspect of this season. the pacing, the characters, everything is perfect. can't wait for more <3
Squealer: My kind are neither slaves nor beasts.
Judge: If you’re not beasts, then what are you?
Squealer: WE ARE HUMANS!!!

Watashitachi wa ningen da!!!
Jun 24, 2023 9:26 PM

Oct 2017
Things sure got interesting this episode. Really like how the principal handled things. The cat sith reveal was nice, those cats are lit. I'm glad nothing bad happened to Chise and group. Zoey and Chise found themselves in a bad situation but managed to get out of it by themselves. Lucy and her brother's moment was sweet.

Pretty good cour, I'm glad we are getting part 2 this fall. Looking forward to it.
Jun 24, 2023 11:57 PM

Aug 2019
Well

See ya all in fall
Jun 26, 2023 3:39 AM

Mar 2021
The OST at the end of episode 12. 

"Exotic station" 

Respectfully ofc

Jun 26, 2023 12:04 PM
Nov 2022
Unlike many others, I found the second season better than the first. The setting in the school is very interesting and so is the plot. Even if I sometimes didn't quite understand what was happening. I also find the new characters very likeable, such as Zoey, Lucy, Rian and Philomella. What I found a shame is that there were almost no important moments between Elias and Chise. Maybe that will change in Part 2. I'm curious how it goes.

I would give this season a 9/10.
Jun 26, 2023 8:10 PM
Jan 2022
Always a treat with this series. Love how it matches with the manga.
Jun 28, 2023 5:00 PM
Dec 2021
liked it more than 1st season also the first 30 seconds of the ending give me goosebumps
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 12, 2023

37 by RegC-KC »»
Jun 14, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25, 2023

32 by zaverix »»
Apr 4, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18, 2023

31 by zaverix »»
Apr 4, 9:51 AM

» Will we get a beach episode?

Catalano - May 24, 2023

9 by Gator »»
Feb 26, 3:07 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2023

32 by Gator »»
Feb 26, 2:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.