Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 14, 2020 4:44 AM
Nov 2019
This is getting dark, lots of foreboding over Somali's future and the demise of Golem.....

Uzoi & Haitora's backstory is grim....

This and IR are my top Anime this season, with Shield Loli close behind....
Feb 14, 2020 5:50 AM

Feb 2014
I've been mentally preparing myself for this episode for a last couple of days now, thinking that it'll be filled with tension and sadness. Haitori's backstory completely took my by surprise.

And holy shit, was it VERY dark. The human village was purged by the monsters, with Haitori and his wife and daughter probably being the only survivors left. I can't blame Haitori's desperation of seeing Uzoi's mother, assuming that she was evil, and killed her on the spot. Then came the scene where Haitori's family ate the corpse of Uzoi's mother and what happened next left me speechless.

The episode already had me tearing up with Uzoi and Somali's scene earlier, but thanks to a sandstorm separating Uzoi and Somali from Haitori and Golem and then having a large monster attacking the girls, Haitori decided that he would sacrifice himself to give the girls the chance to live.

Thankfully, the combo attack from Uzoi and Golem forced the monster to flee, which gave Uzoi and Haitori the chance to finally talk to each other without holding back and this teared me up as well.

I think this is the best episode of the series so far. Powerful character moments, the unexpected backstory twist and the brilliant OST made this episode worth it. Bring on the next 6 episodes! =D
Feb 14, 2020 8:20 AM
Apr 2017
I had picked this show up as a prospective favorite months ago because I've been trying to scratch that high-fantasy itch Made in Abyss developed in my nervous system, and when it finally dropped, I was pleasantly surprised, if a touch disappointed, that it was a straightforward slice-of-life show. It did warm on me immensely over the last few weeks, with its vivacious world and enjoyable cast, but it still lagged a bit behind other shows I'd been watching.

This episode made Somali and the Forest Spirit my Anime of the Season.

There were definitely some writing hiccups, but overall, this episode was a gravity well of emotion, ranging from camaraderie between Uzoi and Somali, to outright fear in the backstory, to the most powerful and poignant monologue I've seen in years, courtesy of Saori Hayami. The absolute rollercoaster of emotions I felt while this played out made me audibly yell at the horrifying scenes and tear up at the very end.

What an incredible episode. I think I'll remember this alongside some other standout episodes from anime I love (episode 10 of Made in Abyss, episode 7 of sweetness and lightning, episode 18 of Casshern Sins, etc.) as the moment the show really won its way into my heart.
Feb 14, 2020 9:18 AM

Dec 2017
The episode is sad

am i worried about Somari at first, but it's good that Uzoi changed her mind. and at the last moment in The end of the episode was impressive T_T

and i don’t know who deserves to be sad for him

Uzoi's mother or poor humans and the life that Haitora and his family lived

And I can understand why Haitora did this

After What happened to him and humans, nothing to do other than this

Feb 14, 2020 9:53 AM

May 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
Dashiawia said:

This is just my guess, but perhaps he survived because he ate less meat than his family.

Well, that's an assumption. And we're talking about the meat of a fantastic beast right here, for all we know even ingestion of small quantities could be fatal.

It doesn't directly explain it, but Uzoi states in the episode that people in general don't know much about human illnesses and it's not like Haitora would know why. The best they could've really done was either have the backstory explain that Haitora ate less or that Uzoi would explain that harpy blood is poisonous for some animals. It's not like all diseases and poisonous substances have a 100% ratio of success, simply being lucky (or unlucky given the circumstance) isn't out of the question.
Feb 14, 2020 11:05 AM

Apr 2019
Darkness is my home! I'm (not) prepared for more dark/ depressing moments! (No, definitely not!)
Feb 14, 2020 11:50 AM

Mar 2015
Damn living as a human in this world is tough, but I guess they brought it upon themselves like how it was mentioned in the previous episodes.
Feb 14, 2020 6:23 PM

Feb 2019
Damn, Uzoi's lines really hit in the right spot. Props to her voice actress.
Feb 14, 2020 6:43 PM
Jan 2016
Well this show got dark fast.....
Feb 14, 2020 9:42 PM

Aug 2018
Good Episode
7/10
Feb 14, 2020 11:09 PM

Apr 2012
Hatsuyuki said:
Dashiawia said:

This is just my guess, but perhaps he survived because he ate less meat than his family.

Well, that's an assumption. And we're talking about the meat of a fantastic beast right here, for all we know even ingestion of small quantities could be fatal.

Or or... human males have a higher tolerance.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Feb 14, 2020 11:16 PM

Apr 2012
Are we ignoring the fact that Uzoi's mom was smoking hot?

This world is in need of an op isekai character that would save humanity IMMEDIATELY!!!
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Feb 14, 2020 11:17 PM

Jun 2012
Probably the weakest episode so far in my book but it was still a decent episode.
Feb 15, 2020 12:42 AM
Feb 2020
And here I thought.. “Oh yeah.. That’s just a cute parent-child anime, I’ll be smiling sillily from 01 to 12. No Clannad moments or anything..”
Feb 15, 2020 5:43 AM

Oct 2018
would you able to live with yours mothers killer?!
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Feb 15, 2020 6:20 AM

Mar 2012
Yeah this series can get dark and there are still some more dark moments yet to come.

It seems that the
i still have no idea how this will end tough, the manga has not updated for a long time, you cant even find raws to get an idea after a certain point, make me wonder if it is on hiatus or something.
Feb 15, 2020 7:13 AM

Feb 2011
Janethan23 said:
Hatsuyuki said:

Or or... human males have a higher tolerance.

That's quite the difference considering they're both the same species, human.
Feb 15, 2020 7:24 AM

Nov 2016
+1 to wow, this became darker than expected for such a lighthearted series.

Very beautiful episode, tho, I love it bittersweet.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 15, 2020 7:46 AM

Jul 2014
This got dark fast. The whole ep was tragic, he promised something he cant keep, unless they find some magic potion elixir or something she wont have his mom eating step daddy around for long.
This world is fcked up, humans got screwed. I wonder if there's any human group around whom trained to kill these monsters, tho I guess this isnt that type of story.
Feb 15, 2020 10:43 AM

Dec 2018
Apparently according with what we know the humans started the conflict by being judgmental about the monsters but the monsters took it too far when they decided to kill innocent man,women and chidren (civilians). I guess the moral of the story is no one is right when it comes to war?
Feb 15, 2020 2:54 PM

May 2015
Hey it's new episode of: How I ate your mother!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 15, 2020 8:34 PM

Oct 2008
and again! the FEELS in this episode is very strong!
5/5!

Feb 15, 2020 11:45 PM

Aug 2015
This kind of episodes reminds me of how Shinsekai Yori was able to put so much horror and overall gruesome themes into a series of kids growing up into the unknown.

This is for me the anime of the season along with Eizouken. So many things done right, and so many more sadness to come.
Feb 16, 2020 2:43 AM

Nov 2012
I thought Haitora got some illness from Uzoi, something that is not deadly for Hapry's but is deadly for humans, didn't expect it to be this fucked up.

Holy shit, I did not expect anything this dark from this show

Feb 16, 2020 3:37 AM

Apr 2015
The story was compelling(it's been consistently good in producing those tensely sad scenes with certain implications/parallels on Somali/Golem) but the 'action' scenes were exceedingly lame, which sapped the energy and tension out of the scenes that surrounded them. Hope they do better or do less such scenes in the remaining episodes.

Loving OnoD here a lot.

The mask being half-covered by sand means what?
Feb 16, 2020 4:10 PM
Mar 2018
Gotta admit this one made me cry
So..... ummm
Are Uzoi and Haitora fucking? I know they aren't explicit about it but Uzoi makes it clear that though she loves Haitora, she does NOT see him as a father.
And something about the way they interact gave me the vibe. Anyone else pick up on that or am I just projecting because I think Uzoi's hot?
Feb 16, 2020 7:28 PM

Aug 2018
Happy, fun, CUUUUUUUUTE and wholesome and... OH NO!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Feb 16, 2020 8:20 PM

Sep 2018
Haitora's daughter cry is so painful!!! That's so sad!!!!!!! T-----------T
Feb 16, 2020 9:19 PM

Mar 2019
With every episode that i watch, i can feel my heart becoming weaker...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Feb 17, 2020 4:56 AM

Oct 2010
Idk about you guys but that scene where they ate the mother and started morphing... that shit was brutal.
Feb 17, 2020 5:05 AM

Sep 2019
Goodness... that backstory was vile. But, i don't think anyone is to blame here. Both the demi humans and Haitora did the same thing. But i think the humans really had it bad in this world :(

I don't think it'd be so easy for Golem san to find somali's parents. The ending might not go well. With all the lies between Haitora and Uzoi... i've been reminded again about how Golem san will die soon. How is he going to be responsible for this.... Somali is such a good gurl, she doesn't deserve grief and sadness!!

But well, it's nice to see Golem san to be more human from episode to episode.

Aoboba said:
Idk about you guys but that scene where they ate the mother and started morphing... that shit was brutal.

The whole bird eating scene was brutal... i agree with you. I was okay when his wife died, but when his daughter died it was horrifying. In the end... you reap what you sow... they deserve death. But tbh, it's kinda unfair because the humans are the hunted in here.

White_HollowFeb 17, 2020 5:28 AM

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 17, 2020 7:21 AM

Jun 2013
fuck that was dark
Feb 17, 2020 8:40 AM

Feb 2019
this gets boring for some reason
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Feb 17, 2020 11:53 PM

May 2019
Damn I didn't expect taht kind of backstory - very dubious. That's why I love this anime

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Feb 20, 2020 5:05 AM

Jan 2011
Heh, and here I thought the backstory behind Haitora getting "corrupted" was entirely something else but also as scandalous.
Feb 20, 2020 5:17 AM

Oct 2017
This turned dark but in a different way then I thought it would. Tbh that backstory was unexpected and it kinda shook me up.
Feb 20, 2020 8:17 AM

Jun 2016
omg that backstory almost make me cry ..

Feb 21, 2020 6:08 AM

Mar 2015
That was a good twist. Uzoi's mother death, Haitora daughter and wife's death were quite metal.
FulmicotoneFeb 21, 2020 6:11 AM
Feb 21, 2020 7:41 AM
Jan 2018
The way I see it, the humens thought they where far way enough from the interpeices people and they didn't expect any of them to hunt them
Feb 23, 2020 10:44 AM

Apr 2013
Fuck Haitora and anybody that love em.

Uzoi's mom was fine as fuck, though.
Feb 24, 2020 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
Oh wow, that was hard to swallow and got really dark here.
But ooh girl, he ATE your mother. Killed and ate her. Girl...
Mar 3, 2020 12:22 AM

Jul 2008
Oh boy...what a screwed up situation this is.
Mar 12, 2020 3:46 PM

Jun 2015
Oh boy! Them feels...
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 22, 2020 4:42 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was more dark than expected and pretty twisted. Idk how I really feel about it, but it shows the complicated relationship of humans and monsters in the realm...A tragedy on all levels and very emotional. Overall an interesting if not mildly disturbing episode.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Mar 31, 2020 3:12 PM

Aug 2017
Oh shit, that was sad. Haitora killed Uzoi's mom out of desperation while Haitora's human family died in front of him after they ate her corpse. I feel sorry for both of them. Also, about Uzoi's mom from the look of surprise on her face, she doesn't really seem like that type of character that would eat other humans.

My only complain is that they never explained why Haitora managed to survive too long while his family died quickly.

But honestly it was a very good episode and I hope they continue traveling with Somali and the Golem.

NurguburuMar 31, 2020 3:18 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 3, 2020 11:36 AM

May 2013
Damn... it was obvious Haitora killed Uzoi's mother, but I didn't think he ate her LOL.
His daughter dying was terrifying to see x'D I love it when cute animes have surprisingly gory episodes pop up in it lulz

Uzoi's mama was absolutely beautiful <3
She was picking berries, so you can tell she's totally harmless and didn't eat/hunt humans :(
Apr 7, 2020 4:34 PM

Feb 2014
... any reason (no assumptions) why he was the only one who survived and his daughter and wife died?
TechOtakuApr 7, 2020 5:13 PM
Apr 7, 2020 4:48 PM

Feb 2014
shuu-tsukiyama said:

well, she did spend a lot of time with him, so it's kinda hard to just forget all emotional attachment with the person she always loved as a father

Hm, I wish it was just a father-daughter relationship considering he had a daughter... a wife and met Uzoi when she was just a child but..... I think she loves him in another way. In a romantic way.
She even says "he's not my father or something" (something like that).
And some of her acts suggests that it isn't a father-daughter relationship (at least in her perspective)
Apr 13, 2020 2:14 PM

Oct 2016
Not sure if I buy their relationship that much, also they encountering another sort of father-daughter couple in similar circumstances to them, after they have been with a normal family seems convenient to me, well at least everything up until now has been thematically important and not just semi episodic random encounters.
Apr 24, 2020 12:12 AM

Jan 2019
Ummmm what the fuck. I watch this show for heart touching and wholesome moments. Nonetheless, very good episode, definitely the best episode so far and a rollercoaster of emotions.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.