Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2020 8:52 AM

Aug 2015
shayed__ said:
kind of felt bored from this episode lol. everyone in here crying like how. Season in general is pretty mediocre so far

Why is it boring and mediocre? In fact, what does it need in order for it to not be boring and mediocre then? What would you do?
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jul 29, 2020 8:54 AM
Jan 2018
shayed__ said:
kind of felt bored from this episode lol. everyone in here crying like how. Season in general is pretty mediocre so far

Many people here care about the main character and were curious about his backstory. Maybe you're just not emotionally invested enough or something, totally understandable
Jul 29, 2020 8:55 AM
Oct 2019
This was a great Re: Zero episode
Subura's relationship with parent is amazing!
Jul 29, 2020 8:55 AM
Feb 2017
LuckoBj said:
Imo, Re:Zero is the best Isekai in this moment, and i can say it right now, after a long time holding it.

Period.

I'm with you on this one brother.
Jul 29, 2020 8:56 AM

Jan 2019
SirLezard said:
shayed__ said:

Why is it boring and mediocre? In fact, what does it need in order for it to not be boring and mediocre then? What would you do?

Probably he will add suffering and more deaths for the entertaining part and thats probably all....why having development when you can add gore and horrible deaths? Lol
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Jul 29, 2020 8:57 AM
Apr 2020
One of the best episodes of the entire series! 5/5

Reason 1... It made me cry!
Reason 2... It's a pay off of all the struggles that Subaru has faced so far. He has so many layers.

Can't wait to see the rest of Echidna's challenge!
Jan 2020
I like that Subaru is a slightly different guy now. Sure, deep down inside he still hates himself and is full of regret. There is still a lot for him to do to redeem himself in his own eyes, but he's getting there. I also like that he already once crawled out of the deepest darkest pit (thanks to Rem), so he will always have that, no matter what happens next

Mar 2014
Subaru's parents are so cool. Their family interactions were too damn funny. I loved the talk between Subaru and his dad and his conversation with his mom respectively. They were encouraging and offered a chance to say goodbye.
It was nice seeing more about Subaru's past, because we didn't know anything other than the fact that he was a shut-in. This episode put things more into perspective.
Jul 29, 2020 8:58 AM
Mar 2020
oh my god this episode was so good, very emotional, got me tearing up
Jul 29, 2020 8:58 AM
Mar 2020
oh my god this episode was so good, very emotional, got me tearing up
Jul 29, 2020 8:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, this was one powerful episode! Glad that this was nearly 30 minutes and not shortened to fit into normal length. Subaru has definitely become the most genuine Isekai character, that's for sure.

To be honest, I was kind of confused at the start but it all adds up now. Couldn't help but tear up as well, especially with the "Itterashai" bit and the real-life past hitting full force.

Shadowed by his father and thus having to go further and further until finding out that the world has lost its interest in him really hurts deep. Emilia and Rem must've really done wonders to him.

Good lord, Subaru's got awesome parents! No wonder where he got this odd sense of humor and speaking, lol.

By the way, the father mentioned "eldest son". Does he have a younger sibling or is he perhaps getting one? Curious...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 29, 2020 8:59 AM
Jun 2016
I'm glad to see that a lot of people here so far haven't bashed this episode as being too boring and having not enough action. I was scared to see the response to having an Episode 18-style episode so early on in this season when not much action has happened yet. I suspect that we are getting most of the comedy relief and touching moments out early on and the action will be saved for later.

I'm actually quite surprised by Subaru's past, he has a loving and supporting mother and father, isn't that much of a shut-in as I thought (only about 3 months) he didn't have anything traumatic that happened in the past that made him want to never go out, and no matter how bad he is, his parents have the unconditional love of saints. So I don't get why he hated himself so much in Episode 18. Now, I think Subaru was just acting a little childish when he was talking about how he was back in the past. His past was a little underwhelming, not gonna lie. Just my opinion. If I'm missing something, let me know.

Unless these interactions were completely fictitious, made up by Echidona, and his parents are actually total jerks in real life (highly unlikely imo), I would imagine that they would be devastated by the loss of their only son after he got transported. But didn't Kenichi say "eldest son"? Is Subaru not an only child?

So did Subaru pass the trial? Just like that? That was way too easy, even Echidona said he got to the end earlier than expected. So he's got through his past and that's it? His past isn't going to be a major plot point anymore?

Assuming Emilia is also facing her past, I suspect she will have it even more rough, going off of the Frozen Bond OVA. Perhaps she's not going to make it like Subaru did, maybe that's why they showed Emilia as crying in the ED.

And I guess now Echidona knows he has come from another world...

ED, by the way. Fantastic. I was so scared they would actually not put the visuals in this week. On par or maybe even greater than Stay Alive for me personally. Wonder what's the deal with all the butterflies, I know Echidona has one in her hair, but both the OP and ED are filled with them. A source of her power? Must be significant. Makes me think of the Rukh from Magi. And that half black, half white Satella was chilling. I can't wait to see her evil side.

Edit: OMG,

I was on edge the entire episode, I was thinking that his parents were going to turn into Echidona or something, or tell him exactly what he was scared of hearing from them and hurt him psychologically, but nothing of the sort happened. The father-son talk didn't get to me as much as the mother-son talk did.

Rewatching the end part, when Mom was saying take care, his eyes looked dead, he straight up ignored the sweet angel, I think there's something more that happened to him in the past, or maybe the Subaru we see here and the Subaru before the transport act completely differently, and the interactions would've been different had he not gone through some character development last season.

Also, before he remembered he was living in his past, how did he know the pain would stop at 8:00? What's up with that? Did he have some sort of condition? Anxiety attacks?
PraiseThe1Jul 29, 2020 9:44 AM
Jul 29, 2020 9:05 AM
Nov 2016
As a web novel reader...this wasn't just good. No, this was in my opinion, PERFECT. This without a doubt, not only my favorite episode, but, at least in my opinion, the best episode of Re:Zero PERIOD. I'm going to be completely honest here, I was kinda scared on how they would adapt this, but I knew it would make me emotional. Considering how big of a fan I am I had my hopes really high, but I didn't want to make myself disappointed or anything. This episode, everything about it to me, is a deserved 5/5. The character development of Subaru, seeing his parents, the soundtrack, everything about this episode did the web novel and the light novel absolute justice. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I prefer the anime's adaptation of this over the web novel. White Fox did THAT good. Maybe it's just me being happy to see this animated, but it really is amazing. Also, the emotional beats on this were perfect. I cried the first time I read this in the web novel, so I expect myself to get emotional. Watching the episode, I cried like a bitch three times, the first time when Emilia said "It's been rough, hasn't it," (Not even halfway through the episode, I know lol), Subaru crying to his dad, and the "Take Care" scene. These moments were absolute highlights for me, especially the "Take Care" scene. The end of this episode is not only deserved, but the payoff is great. Did I also mention the soundtrack? WOWZERS! Especially in the emotional scenes, the soundtrack here fits so good. I've never been so enthusiastic to write about an anime episode, my ADHD ass will be talking about this one for months to come. Definitely in my Top 5 Anime episodes of all time. PERIOD.

Father Headbutt/5
Jul 29, 2020 9:06 AM

May 2019
And so Subaru has met Echidna again...

I dont know why, i have the feeling that their talk will be like this:
Rob7Jul 29, 2020 9:13 AM
Jul 29, 2020 9:06 AM
Apr 2020
Probably one of the greatest episode of all
Beautifully presented
Everything from starting to end was so touching and heart warming
JOB WELL DONE
Jul 29, 2020 9:07 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This is more like the Re:Zero I remember
Jul 29, 2020 9:07 AM
May 2020
I was initially skeptical about quite some content being skipped like in the previous episodes, especially after the one last week, where they completely cut out a character from it, that made me worry, but thankfully there was no rush in this one.

We get a look into Subaru's past, to which many of us can probably relate to. I loved seeing the chemistry within his family, from his father's stupidity and overly energetic attitude to his mother's more soft and contemplating nature.
The animation albeit stale at times, knocked it in the moments when it mattered most, plus with the scenery and music presented during the park scene, it raised it to the degree this whole episode deserved. I cried more than once even though i had read the LN and Manga before this.

This has been the best episode so far for me and i'm glad they took their time with. I'm still wondering to see what they do about the introduction of the character they skipped on last week, regardless, can't wait for the reunion with Echidna coming next, and perhaps something more with it's possible cliffhanger.

Jul 29, 2020 9:08 AM

Jul 2020
_MushiRock11_ said:

By the way, the father mentioned "eldest son". Does he have a younger sibling or is he perhaps getting one? Curious...

Same thing that bugged me. Any web novel/ light novel readers that can shed some light regarding this question?

I accept random friend requests!
Jul 29, 2020 9:11 AM
May 2020
twilightopal said:
As a web novel reader...this wasn't just good. No, this was in my opinion, PERFECT. This without a doubt, not only my favorite episode, but, at least in my opinion, the best episode of Re:Zero PERIOD. I'm going to be completely honest here, I was kinda scared on how they would adapt this, but I knew it would make me emotional. Considering how big of a fan I am I had my hopes really high, but I didn't want to make myself disappointed or anything. This episode, everything about it to me, is a deserved 5/5. The character development of Subaru, seeing his parents, the soundtrack, everything about this episode did the web novel and the light novel absolute justice. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I prefer the anime's adaptation of this over the web novel. White Fox did THAT good. Maybe it's just me being happy to see this animated, but it really is amazing. Also, the emotional beats on this were perfect. I cried the first time I read this in the web novel, so I expect myself to get emotional. Watching the episode, I cried like a bitch three times, the first time when Emilia said "It's been rough, hasn't it," (Not even halfway through the episode, I know lol), Subaru crying to his dad, and the "Take Care" scene. These moments were absolute highlights for me, especially the "Take Care" scene. The end of this episode is not only deserved, but the payoff is great. Did I also mention the soundtrack? WOWZERS! Especially in the emotional scenes, the soundtrack here fits so good. I've never been so enthusiastic to write about an anime episode, my ADHD ass will be talking about this one for months to come. Definitely in my Top 5 Anime episodes of all time. PERIOD.

Father Headbutt/5
I agree! i was worried of them rushing this after they skipped a whole character last week but this was perfect.
Jul 29, 2020 9:12 AM

Jun 2020
Echidna in a school dress AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jokes aside, this episode was really fuckin emotional

I said keep your hands on the table
Jul 29, 2020 9:12 AM

May 2017
Emillian said:
SirLezard said:

Probably he will add suffering and more deaths for the entertaining part and thats probably all....why having development when you can add gore and horrible deaths? Lol

Well.. the suffering of Subaru was one of the key elements that made re zero stand out so much..no? Or did re zero stand out so much because characters like Emilia are so incredible? sure there is the world and its concept that is very appealing, but to me the things that Subaru had to go through in season 1 was the major point why I loved the show so much.

Also it doesn't really help that the production of this second season is basically dead.. there is literally no motion, its kind of hard to watch.

I really liked Season 1, but so far season 2 hasn't really struck me so far. I'm sure it will get better though.
Jul 29, 2020 9:15 AM

Aug 2016
This was quite an emotional episode, and really fleshes out Subaru's character again, making the story again more relatable and realistic again, akin to Episode 13.

I always thought Subaru acted a little outlandish, and had especially poor social skills and this gives us a glimpse why that is relatable - overcompensating for expectations followed by crashing especially hard upon failure.

His "fantasy" experiences allowing him to better face his reality and face and fix his past mistakes was really touching, and connects this fantasy back to reality.

I'm a little disappointed to not see how he would have approached his classmates, but I'm can't complain about how satisfying this drop back into reality is.

I wonder if we will see Emilia's past here too.
Jul 29, 2020 9:18 AM

Mar 2018
It's sad when you think about the real world where he left his mother without even saying goodbye and never returned.
Jul 29, 2020 9:19 AM
Nov 2016
shayed__ said:
Emillian said:

Well.. the suffering of Subaru was one of the key elements that made re zero stand out so much..no? Or did re zero stand out so much because characters like Emilia are so incredible? sure there is the world and its concept that is very appealing, but to me the things that Subaru had to go through in season 1 was the major point why I loved the show so much.

Also it doesn't really help that the production of this second season is basically dead.. there is literally no motion, its kind of hard to watch.

I really liked Season 1, but so far season 2 hasn't really struck me so far. I'm sure it will get better though.

Yeah, I understand your point. Arc 4 is definitely much different from the previous three (this is coming from someone who's read the web novel), it's definitely more grounded in character development but like you said, it will get better though without a doubt. It's more focused on characterization but there will still be those gruesome moments though. Not spoiling anything but this arc will get better, if it's adapted as well as this episode was to me, it could probably be AOTY imo.
Jul 29, 2020 9:20 AM

Oct 2015
Judgging by the mal forum reacting to this episode, Whitefox really made an excellent adaptation so far. Didn't watching it yet , but as web novel reader, this one is literally one off my favorite part of arc 4. Thank you so much white fox.
Jul 29, 2020 9:25 AM

Jul 2016
Cr1tikalMayhem said:
I was initially skeptical about quite some content being skipped like in the previous episodes, especially after the one last week, where they completely cut out a character from it, that made me worry, but thankfully there was no rush in this one.

Which character was skipped last week? I've read the WN and I don't remember a new character being introduced at this time.
Jul 29, 2020 9:26 AM

Sep 2011
shayed__ said:

Hard agree. Everyone seems to be praising how great this episode was but to me it was a snooze fest. Is throwing in a slightly emotional elements a justification for snails pace? They could've wrapped up the whole "flashback" in 10 minutes and it would be far better pacing. Hard pass from me on this one.
Jul 29, 2020 9:27 AM

May 2017
twilightopal said:
shayed__ said:

Yeah, I understand your point. Arc 4 is definitely much different from the previous three (this is coming from someone who's read the web novel), it's definitely more grounded in character development but like you said, it will get better though without a doubt. It's more focused on characterization but there will still be those gruesome moments though. Not spoiling anything but this arc will get better, if it's adapted as well as this episode was to me, it could probably be AOTY imo.

that is good to hear! looking forward to the rest of this season
Jul 29, 2020 9:29 AM
Feb 2020
I know now know for sure that this season is gonna be way better than season 1 XD
Jul 29, 2020 9:29 AM
Feb 2020
I know now know for sure that this season is gonna be way better than season 1 XD
Jul 29, 2020 9:30 AM
May 2020
QcDiablo said:
Cr1tikalMayhem said:

Which character was skipped last week? I've read the WN and I don't remember a new character being introduced at this time.
I've only read the LN and Ryuzu was meant to make an appearance in the last episode, i don't know if the anime is a full WB novel adaptation or if it takes elements from both.
Jul 29, 2020 9:31 AM

Mar 2016
This was objectively the best episode of this entire series, imho. It actually gave me a genuine reason to sympathize with Subaru even though I really dislike him a lot. His parents are some of the best, too, especially Mr. Natsuki.

We didn't fucking need those BRIGHT AS FUCK highlights to indicate this man is still in a dream/illusion, though. Of course Echidna shows up at the end to ask if the man properly confronted his past, she gave him the pass to enter the trial to begin with.
Jul 29, 2020 9:31 AM

Jun 2019
sangwiny said:
shayed__ said:

Hard agree. Everyone seems to be praising how great this episode was but to me it was a snooze fest. Is throwing in a slightly emotional elements a justification for snails pace? They could've wrapped up the whole "flashback" in 10 minutes and it would be far better pacing. Hard pass from me on this one.

You don't know what are you talking about, if you're saying that 10-minute flashback would be better than the whole episode about it. The pacing is as it should be. Arc with the Witch Cult in S1 was too rushed, if we're talking about the pacing issues.
Jul 29, 2020 9:32 AM

May 2017
sangwiny said:
shayed__ said:

you hit the nail on the head. The pacing felt really slow. I'm happy for the people that enjoyed this episode but it didn't do it for me.
Jul 29, 2020 9:32 AM

May 2020
can't lie best episode so far lol hahahha
Jul 29, 2020 9:33 AM
Apr 2012
Holy smokes this was good. 10/10

This is what we're missing in 90% of media is missing sincerity that isn't mistaken "for cheesy"
Jul 29, 2020 9:36 AM

Mar 2020
I haven't watched or heard of any other isekai that would utilize the main character's past, as most shows just jump into the world and try to make everything seem as cool and interesting as possible. However, re:zero shows that going into the past and making a character more complex is just as worthwhile and powerful. Confronting his past issues and making amends with his parents really show how he has grown as a character. Now, I wonder if reliving the past is part of Echidna's trial.

Subaru's dad = new best girl
Jul 29, 2020 9:37 AM

Jul 2017
Subaru being Isekai-ed back to the real world to face his past, and all within close to 30 mins (which is quite long, but as always, feels like it's TOO SHORT) which says a lot about this special episode.

Being connected physcially in the real world, but in spirit back in the fantasy world, sure is a constant headache. The playful dynamic with his parents though, funny as hell, but also emotional as the non-stop tears streaming down my face. Being children to the big ones that took care of each and everyone of us in our lifetime, this episode is #relatable to us all, looking up to our parents as they consider our interests at heart, without compromises. With that said, Subaru has WONDERFUL parents INDEED, kinda wish that we'd have parents like his.

The spirit link between him and Emilia though, all those memories flushed together that was meant to be forgotten, but in a heartbeat, came rushing back to hom.

From a somebody to a nobody, and growing up as a NEET before the total cease of activities, Subaru's parents being courteous of his decisions, to Rem's love and affirmations on his life. ALSO, can we make Father (Leg) Headbutt A THING??? That was a funny but good wake-up call from a father to a not-so-beloved "eldest" son, as well as a mother's love to let her child do anything he/she pleases because "it's right for the child to take control of his/her own life."

The trip back to high school, another highly-emotional moment, especially with the "Itterashai", the flashback of Subaru's entire past from Season 1, now with conidence, totally love that moment.

The surprise of Echidna appearing in his high school...what's her trial for him?

More than another perfect episode of Re:Zero in limited animation, this was undoubtedly THE BEST episode of the series to date (on par or better than Episode 17 of Season 1), and I'm not even kidding. This was just TOO GOOD to savour, and I want more!
KANLen09Jul 29, 2020 9:40 AM
Jul 29, 2020 9:38 AM

Jan 2019
shayed__ said:
Emillian said:

I understand that many people watch this show for the torture porn but its not possible for a show to advance and be relevant for longer periods when the characters don t get a little shape for us to resonate with them....after some time even that suffering will not be worth it because watching bags of meat dying will no longer be satisfying enough....but don't worry...after this development part is done things will come back as we remember them...may i say a little more darker than it was before but time will tell if that s the case or not ;)
That s why i suggest to enjoy these calm times till we still can because we will not see them again very soon
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Jul 29, 2020 9:43 AM

Jun 2020
Pretty touching episode, was nice to see subaru go into his past, and we got to learn more about his parents. Hopefully the next episode will bring more action in the series. But overall 8/10 for me.

Jul 29, 2020 9:43 AM

Sep 2008
the feels

the ending

the echidona in a seira fuku

i love this series
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jul 29, 2020 9:47 AM

Jul 2014
fullofregrets09 said:
So did Subaru pass the trial? Just like that? That was way too easy, even Echidona said he got to the end earlier than expected. So he's got through his past and that's it? His past isn't going to be a major plot point anymore?
Yes, he did pass the the trail. It would have been much harder for him if not for the events of season 1, especially episode 18 and the talk with Rem.

fullofregrets09 said:
Assuming Emilia is also facing her past, I suspect she will have it even more rough, going off of the Frozen Bond OVA. Perhaps she's not going to make it like Subaru did, maybe that's why they showed Emilia as crying in the ED.
Yes, she has it a lot rougher than Subaru.

fullofregrets09 said:
And I guess now Echidona knows he has come from another world....
Well, the next few episodes will explain that.
But if you want to know...
Jul 29, 2020 9:48 AM
Sep 2018
I was tearing up at the end of the episode, 5/5 if you ask me
Jul 29, 2020 9:49 AM

Jul 2016
Cr1tikalMayhem said:
I've only read the LN and Ryuzu was meant to make an appearance in the last episode, i don't know if the anime is a full WB novel adaptation or if it takes elements from both.

From what I've checked up it's a pretty minor change and Ryuzu can easily be introduced later.
Jul 29, 2020 9:50 AM

May 2015
Always gotta be a few contrarians in every episode discussion...

OT: This was definitely the best episode of the season so far. I cried when his mom said "Take care" at the end. Just the thought that she never got to see her son again is heartbreaking.

Jul 29, 2020 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
Nah,it's no even emotion,it's comfort.
Jul 29, 2020 9:58 AM

Aug 2019
Didn’t even really hit me his parents wouldn’t see him until the end where he has the flashbacks when he first died and he didn’t reply to his mom when he left the house.
Jul 29, 2020 9:59 AM

Jul 2017
By far the best episode of the franchise, adapting by far my favorite part of the light novels. I preferred the light novel rendition of this but regardless, this was great. Gave reasons to actually humanize and connect with Subaru, showing his awesome parents and how his life was beforehand and really made everything with him click well. In terms of adaptation, was solid too and didn't have as many issues as some of the previous ones for me.

Subaru's parents are the best characters in the franchise. Easily. No competition.
Jul 29, 2020 9:59 AM
Dec 2013
and people say rising of the shield hero is better than Re: Zero

The haters probably on the floor convulsing right now.
Jul 29, 2020 10:04 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Normally I don't like episodes that are so conversation heavy. I'm more of a show don't tell kind of guy. But considering he hasn't seen his parents in so long and might not see them again, this was a well done episode. Subaru has matured in the other world it seems.

I knew a big twist was coming at the end.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (14) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

609 by ionelHeredia »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 9, 2020

376 by YoAraragi »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 2, 2020

517 by YoAraragi »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 19, 2020

300 by ionelHeredia »»
Yesterday, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 12, 2020

381 by YoAraragi »»
Yesterday, 12:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.