Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 2020 9:09 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saw the raw preair online.
https://twitter.com/decadence_anime/status/1277195290026446848

The first episode introduces some of the main cast with Natsume and her classmates. She's got a very outspoken personality. She and Kaburagi has some character chemistry already although I think I kinda like Natsume more. On the other hand, Kaburagi is kind of a badass with his fighting style. I'm very curious to see how the show plans to develop their relationship.

Quite an action packed second half and exciting way to kick off this show.

Jun 28, 2020 1:03 PM
May 2020
This is very interesting. it seems like using the monster's blood to power their gear and vehicle. Also the animation looks brilliant especially in the end the transformation of the fortress looks astonishing. The funny thing is I thought it transformed to a giant cannon or some sort but actually a giant rocket punch lol.
Jun 28, 2020 8:22 PM

Oct 2010
shame Funi didn't get the premiere
Jun 28, 2020 10:58 PM
Jun 2020
just like Chrome Shelled Regios + Attack on Titan + Gurren Lagann
so far so good
Jun 29, 2020 12:19 AM
Sep 2019
So we have levi ackerman on this anime lmao
Jun 29, 2020 2:06 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The colosal titan type monster called Gadoll had a great look. Its same with the Deca-Dence itself. A giant fortress transformers fueled with the fluid item from Gadoll. The transformation animation looked fine to me. The thrilling sounds make it feel better. That dinamic punch from its main gunner destroy that titan Gadoll. Idk why, but its an okay battles.

So far the girl personality named Natsume might be a little annoying as a spoiled brat. Sadly, her past led her personality into that one. The desires to become parts of The Power may a main reason she was life. A typical tough girl, i finally undertood her persona. Meanwhile the other man acted super cool with the whole fight against Gadoll middle level had a hidden mission on his appearance. Lets see how far the story goes around with that unique premises to me, in their Introduction.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 30, 2020 2:54 PM
Dec 2015
it's Shidonia no Kishi v.2.0. their fortress can move.
Jun 30, 2020 6:46 PM

Jun 2015
- Human's last stand in the world.
- The weakest human to fight against all odds and will become the strongest.
Those are the plot points of the show. Yeah, it's similar to Attack on Titan, and many other similar series that use the same premise. You can expect how it will go on the other end.

Now, the interesting part is also here. The world seems promising and the quality of everything -- aside from story and characters (not yet) -- is actually very good. You can see the anime staffs have put a lot of effort in producing the series (wink Tower of God).

Anyway, give it a try. Unless you're an AOT fans who will likely to call this a rip-off in each and every of their breath.
YosepRAJun 30, 2020 6:50 PM
Jul 3, 2020 2:14 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Just finished watching the first episode, thanks to FunimationCon.

Quite the fast-paced first episode, this. I’m a little uncertain on the whole concept of using the Gadoll’s flesh and remains and the Tankers-Gears bit but I’m curious for more, that’s for sure.

Natsume’s backstory are the start was a heavy note to start off with but the introduction of some of the cast right after added a new layer to the show.

Can’t say I’m fully hooked just yet but curious nonetheless.

@YosepRA Rather than Shingeki no Kyojin, I think it’s more like God Eater. Monsters, CGI & a Stronghold for remaining humans among more.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2020 2:25 PM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
This gave me strong Arte vibe, the dynamics between the two characters I mean
Especially considering that Kaburagi is also voiced by Konishi Katsuyuki >.>
Kurosawa-sanJul 3, 2020 2:29 PM
Jul 4, 2020 2:07 AM
Superior

Apr 2008
Kougeru said:
shame Funi didn't get the premiere

~Corporations are friends~
Jul 4, 2020 4:01 AM

Jul 2019
I'm... disappointed, that's all I'll say
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Jul 4, 2020 7:06 AM

Jul 2019
This was my most hyped show of the season and im not disappointed at all. The animation is extremely good being in it a fight or just when characters are standing around (bless tachikawa), the characters already seem fun mainly natsume of course, but kaburagi also didnt seem overly serious and had his fun moments too. There was alot of CG but i wasnt bothered by it at all, sometimes i was even impressed, mainly the deca-dence itself,the CG gadoll also looked good for the most part as they were mostly used in the backgrounds making the battles more believable, the only somewhat janky CG was the actual big gadoll which didnt seem to blend very well with the rest of the world and seemed pretty plastic but there was alot of animated debris around it so they at least tried to make it more appealing to the eye. The biggest surprise was probably the music, i hadnt seen anything from the composer but man i liked it alot, mainly the music from the kaburagi fight. Overall im pretty hyped, can it fall down? Yes, but every anime can so i have my hopes high
Jul 4, 2020 7:08 AM

Jul 2019
quiuzus said:

Uhmmm interesting, i wont judge, but i would like to know why you think that way.
Jul 4, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2019
VP2003boi said:
quiuzus said:

Uhmmm interesting, i wont judge, but i would like to know why you think that way.

I don't know what I was expecting, but, wasn't this
And I don't know if the video I watched was wrong, but, at the end it starts going low fps?

Gonna watch it anyways
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Jul 4, 2020 7:52 AM

Jul 2019
quiuzus said:
VP2003boi said:

I don't know what I was expecting, but, wasn't this
And I don't know if the video I watched was wrong, but, at the end it starts going low fps?

Gonna watch it anyways
Oh i see, it seemed fine to me if i remember correctly
Jul 5, 2020 9:42 PM

Apr 2020
Kaburagi looks very strong. Maybe he was a soldier before?

but now he has been reduced to be the leader of the deck cleaning. Maybe it is because he has something to do with the mysterious organization?

The life experience of Kuburagi and the growth of Natsume are probably one of the highlights in this anime.

In the end it's a fist, not a cannon? Haha!

Jul 6, 2020 3:16 AM
Nov 2018
Wtf?!?! Why does the anime have less than a 7 ?, Even Mahou Gakuin has more than a 7
Jul 6, 2020 8:36 AM

Jul 2019
GianVT said:
Wtf?!?! Why does the anime have less than a 7 ?, Even Mahou Gakuin has more than a 7
No idea, it will probably get better when the episode drops to everyone but it is pretty weird
Jul 7, 2020 1:06 PM

Oct 2013
GianVT said:

Almost no one watched it yet, it's the insecure AoT fans downvoting again because they can.
Jul 7, 2020 6:50 PM

Aug 2014
What is this airing on
Jul 7, 2020 9:16 PM
Jan 2009
The_Chosen_One23 said:
What is this airing on

DECA-DENCE officially premieres Thu. in Japan, so its Funi simulcast is either tomorrow or Thu. (it is 9:17 PM Arizona time as I write this) if you live in the U.S. and Canada.
Jul 8, 2020 7:48 AM

Feb 2020
Ok... Deca Dence

I´m kinda confused, clearly is not what we watched on the PV butcertainly it has been interesting. Lot of vibes like Made in Abyss´s Riko in main character and also pretty fun. Score is really good but CGI mmm not the best.

Dont know what to expect for Episode 2...
JULES_WKJul 8, 2020 11:35 AM
Jul 8, 2020 8:07 AM
Oct 2016
Crazy start to this show. Looks like they've set up a few plot threads to follow as me move along. The beginning scene with Natsume losing her dad went about as I expected but still was sad to see. Especially later too with how losing her arm back then cost her registration to become a soldier. Being put on cleaning duty for five years would suck! Forced to stay behind while others go out and fight. These Gadoll they face are some interesting creatures. Green blood which is used to power these weapons and the Deca Dence fortress itself, haven't seen that before I don't think.

The big action scene to end this premiere was done well. Certainly a visual spectacle with the animation being so fluid while Kaburagi zoomed around with Natsume in tow. He's a bonafide badass with that gear. I'm curious to know what he's doing with those big things extracting them like we saw in that quick scene. I like his conversations with Natsume when they're together. I think she can find a father figure in him maybe. Hope his shady business isn't anything nefarious since he was talking to some weird person about the bugs. Seems there's a lot to uncover in this show in excited to see more.
Jul 8, 2020 8:22 AM

Jul 2017
Not a bad start, but not really an exciting one either for me. From a narrative and production perspective.

The art for the show is pretty simplistic, kind of cheap in areas but still looks solid with nice and colorful character designs. The CG overall was kind of dodgy for the animation, but not too bad since at least it's used in a more explosive, expressive way in battles and the cinematography was very good overall during the action sequences with some very smooth transitions and cuts with tons of movement using the gear.

The first episode had an interesting setting, with an interesting fortress too. Not quite sold on the characters just yet and the comedy was very iffy, but overall, not too bad yet. Little cliche but that doesn't hurt it one bit yet.

The music though is my favorite part of the show so far. So much color and vision with the soundtracks used for certain sequences, reminded me a little bit of the Tower of God OSTs used last season (only a little) but it's nice. Adds to the atmosphere and weird setting.

Overall, it was pretty fine. Not really something that has got my interest just yet since the story wasn't introduced too much, and the hints of it don't look too interesting yet and the characters are also okay at best (with weak comedy), the setting and direction looks good enough for me to believe in some okay amount of potential for the future. 6/10 for the premiere I'd say.
Jul 8, 2020 8:49 AM

Dec 2019
I don't know about this.... it seems quite average but I'll give it more episodes

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Jul 8, 2020 8:51 AM

Oct 2017
So we got a middle age guy and a teen girl as our protags. This kinda reminds me of Arte from last season lol, specially since this guy is voiced by the same seiyuu as Angelo and both of their personality is similar to theirs.

Anyway so the setting felt more funny rather than serious. I mean the way everything was portrayed sure didn't deliver any seriousness to me atleast except for the first few mins.

So the Deca Dence, the weapons and gears all work by using the blood of the kaijus huh, interesting. Makes me think that the Deca Dence was made from a big kaiju and the weapons were made from smaller ones.

Better start than I expected tbh, I dun really expect a lot from Kaiju related shows but this kinda piqued my interest. Let's see how this progresses.
MegamiRemJul 8, 2020 10:17 AM
Jul 8, 2020 8:53 AM

Nov 2016
This felt like a mash-up of series I'm familiar with, (isn't meant in a negative way) even tho it still has a charm of it's own. Not remarkable as far as the production goes, but serviceable. The vibe, however, got me, especially the goofiness. It was just fun. So this might end up being a nice ride if it plays it's strenghts right and since this isn't a manga adaptation I don't have high hopes regarding the worldbuilding anyway.

So please, be at least better than Kabaneri.

@KANLen09

As far as I know, this anime is by the same scripwriter as Kabaneri.
FMmatronJul 8, 2020 9:05 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2020 8:56 AM
Dec 2017
Was that Takehito Koyasu's voice when Kaburagi was speaking about "hunting bugs"?
Jul 8, 2020 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
Mob Psycho 100's director and Youjo Senki's studio NUT. @animejas kinda have to agree it was a decent start, nothing mindblowing as of yet.

On first impressions, it has the "Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress" feel, and definitely a good setting, but the potential still lies in its execution, to which this show will definitely take its sweet time to reveal bit by bit.

@FMmatron yup it is the same scriptwriter, no wonder.

Gears and Tankers, clearly a class/caste system, the former high in position, and the latter being the regular blue collar workers. And lead female Tanker Natsume is clearly not wanting to have any of the nonsense, and wants to be always spearheading in action a.k.a be soldiers. As for Tanker Kaburagi though, he's quite the hard-headed guy, owning a harmless Gadoll a.k.a creatures to be killed.

The comedy is somewhat a miss though, even by standards to display some light-headed moments.

Action-wise, good to see that Studio NUT still has the NUT within them to display some good animation, though nothing as lavish in terms of Youjo Senki, but definitely passable for the premiere setting. The CG isn't as jaw-dropping, but it's the highlight if ever from an animation stand-point.

A fine start, but looking forward to more of Deca-dence, and especially its world-building.
KANLen09Jul 8, 2020 9:13 AM
Jul 8, 2020 9:05 AM
Mar 2020
My only complaint with this series out of the gate is the use of CG. Not to say that the CG models or the animation involving the aforementioned is bad, it isn't by any stretch. My point being is that the rest of the animation is top-notch, the CG itself sort of sticks out like a sore thumb - as it would in any media. This is, understandably, because CG animation is far easier then traditional 2D animation, especially for an animation of this quality.

Nonetheless, everything else was very enjoyable with regards to a premier episode to a series, can't wait to see what Mr. Tachikawa has in store for the rest of Deca-Dence, this is one I have been looking forward to ever since it was announced following his work on Mob Psycho 100's two seasons...
Jul 8, 2020 9:11 AM

Jul 2014
So many comments about this being similar to Attack on Titan. I don't think it matters that much, but I have to say that this was a pretty first episode. Looking forward to what the studio and the director can pull off.
Jul 8, 2020 9:16 AM

Jan 2016
I don't know how it is similar to AOT, maybe the backpacks but still nothing in common.
Anyways, the first episode was great, good soundtrack and animation, hopefully they keep it up for the rest of the episodes.
Also, hope we see Natsume as a soldier soon!

Jul 8, 2020 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
damn the sakuga is awesome i love it, i guess they are doing rotoscoping of 3D models here to make those Itano Circus aerial battles

and i love the rich facial expression sakuga of the characters too hopefully that stays consistent too

decadence means cultural or moral decline so ye i guess that is the theme of this show

Jul 8, 2020 9:18 AM

Oct 2019
I watched this and thought it is quite decent. Comedy is not really funny. I do not really see this as an Attack on Titan ripoff. I kinda see it draw inspiration like Kabaneri of the Iron fortress or Darling in the Franxx.
I wasn't expecting this much CG, but it is not too bad. Looks far better than other series the have used CG. I am curious with kaburagi. Makes me think that he was originally a tanker or some advanced unit. Now, he seeks to clean up society's problem makers or useless individuals. Thats why he states that it is best to continue doing your job without much ambition. But, of course. I am most likely wrong with that thought. Look forward to watching more.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jul 8, 2020 9:21 AM

Jul 2017
ooo finally studio Nut it doing another show, looking forward to it. So far it's a pretty interesting start, the world looks pretty cool ngl. The monster things kinda reminded me of Bounen no Xamdou with the big one looking like Darling in the Franxx lol.

Digging the main duo so far, though I fear the FeMC can end turning into annoying potentially.

Jul 8, 2020 9:24 AM

Apr 2009
Arte no Kabaneri.

Iron fortress world with mediocre passing, storytelling and annoying blonde as the main character.
Jul 8, 2020 9:26 AM

Nov 2013
This is an interesting anime for sure!

The animation looks AMAZING, and the artstyle/character designs give off an old-school anime feel.

As far as the story goes, it reminds me of a culmination of a lot of different anime.
Sidonia with the whole living in a fortress and God Eater/Black Bullet with the alien-like enemies.

Then there’s the characters — Kaburagi, who is more skilled than he lets on initially and who also seems to be part of some secret task force.
And finally the FMC, Natsume. I love her personality and the facial expressions she had were hilarious. She’s a diamond in the rough, it’s looking likely she’ll get in on the fighting too under the tutelage of Kaburagi.

Looking forward to how this one progresses — art and animation are great, more to be seen with the story!
Jul 8, 2020 9:29 AM

Mar 2016
For something with rather nice looking production value, the presentation of its settings and characters wasn't as impressive as I hoped it'd be. The main character's persona kinda rubbed me the wrong way, tbh.

People compare this to Arte for some reason. That's stupid. Arte was quite well-versed in its nuanced messages and themes. This one just tossed in fancy-looking sci-fi / fantasy stuff to start off, but it's rather blemished already by the contrivance of the settings' elements. Hope it doesn't remain that way.
Jul 8, 2020 9:36 AM

Jan 2010
I'm sure this anime will be completely buried in terms of community attention with all the other big anime sequels dropping. Plus anime originals don't get much hype around them. But that's just how it is.

The main reason I'm intrigued by this anime original is because of Yuzuru Tachikawa directing this. He directed Mob Psycho, which is one of my top favorite anime, so I'm curious how this will turn out. Looks like he's directed plenty of other anime originals in the past, though I've never seen any of them. They all have decently high ratings on MAL though.

Promising start! know nothing of the studio behind this, but the animation was pretty on point! CG was pretty noticeable and not the greatest looking, but not terrible either.

the personality of the mc is pretty unoriginal, but hopefully her character gets more fleshed out. One thing that confused me was her age? I thought she was in her mid teens or something, but then that one guy practically tries to force himself on her, and she gets drunk(?) with her boss. So I guess she's much older? Curious what the boss's backstory is.

I see lots of folks comparing this to AOT, I guess because of how they fight the kaiju. Not a AOT fan, but it reminds me more of Pacific Rim. Except instead of the fighters riding in mechs, it's one giant mech to take down the really big kaiju that the other fighter can't take down.
Jul 8, 2020 9:51 AM

Feb 2018
Meh pacing, awful CGI, annoying mc, cringe comedy, and weird freaks from Mad Max who are fighting against Pokemon-type monsters.
Seriously, wtf was that? Kabaneri looks like a 10/10 masterpiece compared to this.
Jul 8, 2020 10:02 AM
Sep 2015
Am I the only one who think of Drifting Dragons? While Deca-Dence has better animation, it lacks respect of human lives. People die too easily in Deca-Dence.

I'm wondering who's the real bad guy, it's probably not Gadoll, I know it won't be that easy to answer but it'll probably be either human or human ally races.
Jul 8, 2020 10:03 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was decent I guess. Good enough to at least try the good old 3 episode rule.
Jul 8, 2020 10:11 AM

Aug 2013
This had a decent start. Better than I expected.

Kaburagi was a total badass with those moves. He's definitely hiding something. And Natsume is a fun character.

Jul 8, 2020 10:14 AM

Dec 2016
Hmm, interesting episode with a post apocaliptic setting. Definitely the mechanical vehicles and the moving fortress itself is a nice homeage to the already dead mecha genre, and a whole city living inside a self sustained mobile fortress is definitely a homage to classic Macross SDF.

The animation in the action scenes looks definitely amazing and the CG sequences does fit well with the mecha Decadence Fortress.

Although, I do have my gripes with this first episode. The biggest one is the humor, it really clashes with the somber tone presented in the first minutes with Natsume losing and arm and her dad going MIA. I feel that nut studios is trying so hard to emulate Trigger's visual humor style in a show that doesn't needs it at all. My second gripe is how the whole life inside the fortress is infodumped in a whole scene with the kids reciting passages in history class, I feel this could had been shown little by little in 2 or 3 episodes.

I do hope that the comedic bits get toned down or completely disapear in later episodes, because there's a lot of potential in the whole setting and Natsume as a main character.
Jul 8, 2020 10:15 AM

Feb 2019
Well, I guess it's an attempt at a hook, but it's effort that should have been spent on making the main character not an obnoxious idiot. Or perhaps shown the super-awesome warrior caste not getting their asses handed to them and slaughtered en masse by mooks.
Jul 8, 2020 10:18 AM

Jan 2015
This has definitely took my attention. The effort put in this one is noticeable
Jul 8, 2020 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
anyone else thinks soundtrack is really good
Jul 8, 2020 10:22 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
really liked the first episode. Love the characters, animation, the setting feels unique and the action is good too. But IDK, maybe ep1 should've been 40 mins long or something to immerse the viewers a bit more? again, idk. I also wanna mention that i am a big aot stan, and I have seen a lot of people calling it an aot rip-off. I do see the similarities but i think its unique enough to be enjoyable for aot fans too. I don't expect mind-blowing plot twists with this, because of the light-hearted theme, but I still know I'll be having a fun time watching it.
:)

Jul 8, 2020 10:23 AM
Apr 2018
Kindly read this interview of Tachikawa and Takuya.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2020-07-06/deca-dence-director-yuzuru-tachikawa-and-producer-takuya-tsunoki/.161107

They've been working on this anime for years.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.