Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until DEC 15)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 34 35 [36] 37 38 » ... Last »
May 26, 2019 3:54 PM

Mar 2018
For Novice entry #15:
(N.15) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and a popularity lower than #700.

Can Joker Game be used? By the time I’m writing this it has #662 in popularity.
nyckelbenMay 26, 2019 3:59 PM

May 27, 2019 1:51 AM
Feb 2008
spacecraft said:
For Novice entry #15:
(N.15) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and a popularity lower than #700.

No, that's too high. The numbers correlate to rankings, so the ranking needs to be below 700. That means 701, 702, 703, 704 and so on and so forth.

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity&limit=700

Here are the rankings. Click next 50 to go lower.
May 27, 2019 4:23 AM

Nov 2016
I've only got 1 item left on the list so I'm checking through all the sections I've completed and noticed that some of them don't fit the criteria correctly, I.E. I completed an item in Apprentice in February but I'm gonna have to redo it from May onward. Since the rules say previous sections can't have completion dates after the next section, what would I put for the completion date? Should I just add something that says Completion Date (Revised) or just keep the original completion date?

Also, I've added a little note onto each section that's been checked by me with items that could change by the time I'm done (like choosing things from a participant's list in case they drop out/delete their post), should I delete these when I turn the challenge in or just leave em there?
currently: doing my best!

May 27, 2019 4:35 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Cynder360 said:
I've only got 1 item left on the list so I'm checking through all the sections I've completed and noticed that some of them don't fit the criteria correctly, I.E. I completed an item in Apprentice in February but I'm gonna have to redo it from May onward. Since the rules say previous sections can't have completion dates after the next section, what would I put for the completion date? Should I just add something that says Completion Date (Revised) or just keep the original completion date?

Also, I've added a little note onto each section that's been checked by me with items that could change by the time I'm done (like choosing things from a participant's list in case they drop out/delete their post), should I delete these when I turn the challenge in or just leave em there?

Anything that doesn't fit within the completion dates of separate sections need to be redone and later sections as well. No need to put (Revised) behind the date. Just fill in the new dates that fit.

Notes like that are best put in a spoiler at the end of your form.
May 27, 2019 7:30 AM
Prideful Demon

Oct 2016
Hi, I just started Apprentice and wanted some recommended anime for the following items:
(Ap.19) Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are human adults
(Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

May 27, 2019 8:59 AM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
KatjieKat said:
(Ap.19) Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters in which more than half are human adults

Grand Blue
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation
Blend S
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
Sakura Quest

All of these have more than 3 main characters, and they're all adults. Only exception is Blend S, but 3 of the 5 MC's are adults (Mafuyu, Dino, & Kouyou) so it still counts.

Hakumei to Mikochi
Aria The Animation
Flying Witch
Bakemonogatari
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Houseki no Kuni
dierubikdieMay 27, 2019 9:04 AM

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
May 27, 2019 9:59 AM
Prideful Demon

Oct 2016
dierubikdie said:
KatjieKat said:

Grand Blue
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to The Animation
Blend S
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
Sakura Quest

All of these have more than 3 main characters, and they're all adults. Only exception is Blend S, but 3 of the 5 MC's are adults (Mafuyu, Dino, & Kouyou) so it still counts.

Hakumei to Mikochi
Aria The Animation
Flying Witch
Bakemonogatari
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Houseki no Kuni
Thank you very much, appreciate it.
May 27, 2019 2:11 PM

Dec 2012
For the score challenges, do I need to provide a screenshot of the score an anime has when I finish it? For example, I watched Yakusoku no Neverland for the 8.00+ challenge. It's at 8.74 and I doubt it will ever fall below an 8.
May 27, 2019 2:18 PM
Jul 2018
Bayek said:
For the score challenges, do I need to provide a screenshot of the score an anime has when I finish it? For example, I watched Yakusoku no Neverland for the 8.00+ challenge. It's at 8.74 and I doubt it will ever fall below an 8.
Nah, you just put in the score it had when you completed it. It should say "score when finished:" on the bottom. If it wanted a screenshot it would tell you. Like it did here:

"Watch an anime suggested by MAL or by Anime+
Bartender
[Screenshot of the suggestion:"
May 27, 2019 2:25 PM

Dec 2012
Peaceful_Critic said:
Bayek said:
Nah, you just put in the score it had when you completed it. It should say "score when finished:" on the bottom. If it wanted a screenshot it would tell you. Like it did here:

Bartender
Ah alright. Makes sense, thanks. I know these challenges can be thorough so I'm just covering all of my bases.
May 27, 2019 2:35 PM

May 2017
Bayek said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Bartender
Ah alright. Makes sense, thanks. I know these challenges can be thorough so I'm just covering all of my bases.

It's not required to have a screenshot unless there is a line for it.

However, even though there is a small chance it will fall below 8.0, if it DOES manage to happen it will invalidate your challenge. Might be worthwhile to have a screenshot just in case, but it's completely up to you and how confident you are that the score won't fluctuate too much :)
May 27, 2019 4:07 PM

Aug 2018
Hi. I was checking my sign-in post and I have a question about Novice 04 (watch an award-winning anime).
I used Tonari no Yamada-kun because it won the Excellence Award for animation at the 1999 Japan Media Arts Festival. I linked to the wikipedia page, but I couldn't find any info on it winning that award on its page on MAL or in the Award Winning Works club. (EDIT: Found info on Yamada winning the award on the official site._

The club does have info on the Japan Media Arts Festival though, but only stuff from 2013-2016 ("Japan Media Arts Festival — site working; REVISED (2013—2016)" is what's written there). My question is, is it okay to use Tonari no Yamada-kun since it's from 1999? Or can I only use stuff from that festival if it's from 2013-2016?
milkclubMay 27, 2019 4:26 PM
May 27, 2019 5:34 PM

Feb 2016
Hello, looking for an anime list aired in february for this challenge:

*Watch an anime that began airing the same month (any year) you joined MAL

Thank you
May 27, 2019 7:42 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Lakesys said:
Hello, looking for an anime list aired in february for this challenge:

*Watch an anime that began airing the same month (any year) you joined MAL

Thank you

Oof, that's a tough one. Most Winter stuff starts airing in January. Here's a few you might try, though:

Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika - Short-form gag anime about various mental illnesses. Pretty funny and actually kind of educational.

Ryuu no Haisha (The Dragon Dentist) - Very interesting world-building and great visuals.

Joshiraku OVA - You can watch this alongside Joshiraku, but if you're crunched for time, it's funny on its own. You won't miss any sort of overarching plot (the series doesn't have one), but you will miss the character introductions from the main series.

Nodame Cantabile: Nodame to Chiaki no Umi Monogatari - Another special you can watch, it takes place after Episode 8 of Nodame Cantabile. This one probably should only be watched with the main series, but that's okay because it's stellar.

May 28, 2019 12:45 AM

Mar 2018
bigeaze said:
spacecraft said:
For Novice entry #15:

No, that's too high. The numbers correlate to rankings, so the ranking needs to be below 700. That means 701, 702, 703, 704 and so on and so forth.

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity&limit=700

Here are the rankings. Click next 50 to go lower.

Oh, thank you for the quick reply, I'll check it out.

May 28, 2019 1:29 AM

Jan 2019
Hi. Can someone check if everything's alright with my challenge so far?

Sign-up: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759336&show=200#post236

Edit:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Major invalids
Ap.31: Invalid as the anime does not show up with anime selected in the drop down menu

I replaced it with Ap.22. Is it okay now?

Thank you so much for checking it.

@Yuki-Chan276 Thanks
BananiSandwichMay 28, 2019 7:36 AM

Sing for the reluctant heroes
Oh give me your strength
Your lives are too short
Sing for the reluctant heroes
I wanna be brave like you

โš”

May 28, 2019 3:19 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
milkclub said:
Hi. I was checking my sign-in post and I have a question about Novice 04 (watch an award-winning anime).
I used Tonari no Yamada-kun because it won the Excellence Award for animation at the 1999 Japan Media Arts Festival. I linked to the wikipedia page, but I couldn't find any info on it winning that award on its page on MAL or in the Award Winning Works club. (EDIT: Found info on Yamada winning the award on the official site._

The club does have info on the Japan Media Arts Festival though, but only stuff from 2013-2016 ("Japan Media Arts Festival — site working; REVISED (2013—2016)" is what's written there). My question is, is it okay to use Tonari no Yamada-kun since it's from 1999? Or can I only use stuff from that festival if it's from 2013-2016?

I'm sorry to say that it won't be valid, as it should be listed within the club for it to count. You could try to make an appeal though.

BananiSandwich said:
Hi. Can someone check if everything's alright with my challenge so far?

Sign-up: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759336&show=200#post236

There are some small things
- Some item numbers use a space between the date and the number
- Update the title for N.04
- Ap.07: studio is not A-Sketch (as it is a producer for that anime) but Graphinica, remains valid

Major invalids
Ap.31: Invalid as the anime does not show up with anime selected in the drop down menu

Rest looks good.

@BananiSandwich Looks good, remember to add a space between dates and item numbers. Sorry for the confusion.
Yuki-May 28, 2019 7:23 AM
May 28, 2019 6:21 AM
a lil bean โœจ

Feb 2011
Yuki-Chan276 said:
haunted said:
If an anime has more than 1 studio listed, is it valid for challenge items like Apprentice #6 (Watch an anime by a studio you haven't seen anything from) if I haven't seen anything by only 1 of the studios, or Apprentice #7 (Watch an anime by a studio with 3 to 30 anime in MAL's database), if only 1 of the studios fits that criterion?
Yes, please list the used studio for the item.

@haunted For Ap.07 it won't matter, but it will for Ap.06. That's like saying you see a classmate of yours out there with a stranger, but you say you know neither of them.

Cynder360 said:

Friend, excuse my language but let me say you have pretty much fu**ed it up. Please read all rules and instructions again, but to explain it simply.

If you turn in what you have with the changes you have planned to do, you will get invalid everything down after Apprentice unless one of them is over 50 episodes.

Why? as you said " the rules say previous sections can't have completion dates after the next section".
You weren't asked to change anything after a final inspection, meaning these changes were done out of your own accord after noticing an error. Considering others sections were completed already after the ending date of that section, that automatically changed it all. It means that everything after apprentice must comply and change as well. Everything after it mush have a date after that section finish date.

My suggestion to this mess. Start moving things. You can still save it all. Try to replace that item with another unused and use the earliest completed anime from Intermediate. Then do the same for Advanced. That way you won't lose much of the already watched anime.

Try to work it nicely, if you need more help, join our discord and ask there. I'm willing to help. Keep in mind to actually fix it, as I will note that you were warned.

แƒฆ HiScore แƒฆ LoScore แƒฆ Auction

แƒฆ Turn-Ins แƒฆ AWCc

แ“šแ˜แ—ข

May 28, 2019 7:36 AM

Nov 2016
@SheyCroix wow that's pretty stupid, I really hope the challenge doesn't work that way next year or I might be screwed over even worse. I have a feeling a lot of other people are also salty about this whole 'can only do one section at a time chronologically unless it has 50+ eps' but thanks for telling me how to salvage it, I appreciate the help. Hopefully I won't have to watch too much more to make up for it.

Edit: went through it and I should only have to redo about 8 things, my god that took a while
Cynder360May 28, 2019 10:56 AM
currently: doing my best!

May 28, 2019 12:43 PM
Oct 2017
Hi ๐Ÿ™‚ i need help
(E.03) Watch an anime adapted from an Unknown or Other source
May 28, 2019 1:48 PM

Aug 2018
Yuki-Chan276 said:
milkclub said:

I'm sorry to say that it won't be valid, as it should be listed within the club for it to count. You could try to make an appeal though.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer again! ^^ Luckily I was able to swap Tonari no Yamada-kun's item with Paprika's and make it work.
May 28, 2019 2:59 PM
Oct 2017
dierubikdie said:
kiv7 said:
Hi ๐Ÿ™‚ i need help
(E.03) Watch an anime adapted from an Unknown or Other source

Was gonna suggest Princess Kaguya and CFF, but you've already seen those ๐Ÿ™‚

You can try pretty much any season of Love Live (S1, S2, or Sunshine). There's also the Transformers Movie or Macross Zero.

The challenge itself links to the raw list for both adaptation types, but it's hard to sift through. Good luck!
๐Ÿ˜…Yes I saw the link but I don't know which anime are the best
I mean, ๐Ÿ˜… my taste is a little difficult and sometimes the anime is not available for free
Like the anime you suggested ๐Ÿ‘†, I didn't find some of them and some of them were not my taste๐Ÿ˜”
But I'm really gratefulโค, thank you very much๐Ÿ™
I will try to search more โœŠ*-*
May 28, 2019 3:02 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
kiv7 said:
dierubikdie said:

Was gonna suggest Princess Kaguya and CFF, but you've already seen those ๐Ÿ™‚

You can try pretty much any season of Love Live (S1, S2, or Sunshine). There's also the Transformers Movie or Macross Zero.

The challenge itself links to the raw list for both adaptation types, but it's hard to sift through. Good luck!
I mean, ๐Ÿ˜… my taste is a little difficult and sometimes the anime is not available for free
Like the anime you suggested ๐Ÿ‘†, I didn't find some of them and some of them were not my taste๐Ÿ˜”
One I typically recommend to people is Casshern Sins. It might not be up to your taste, but it's worth considering.
May 28, 2019 3:07 PM
Oct 2017
bigdud24 said:
kiv7 said:
One I typically recommend to people is Casshern Sins. It might not be up to your taste, but it's worth considering.
It seems interesting ๐Ÿค” I do not know I'll try and watch ๐Ÿ™‚
Thank you ๐Ÿค—
May 29, 2019 2:51 AM

Mar 2009
'Watch an anime with at least 3 human children as main characters'
Anyone know a series that meets this qualification?
May 29, 2019 3:48 AM

Jan 2011
Claptrap said:
'Watch an anime with at least 3 human children as main characters'
Anyone know a series that meets this qualification?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/6574/Hanamaru_Youchien
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35222/Gakuen_Babysitters - not valid sry
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7627/Mitsudomoe
https://myanimelist.net/anime/488/Ichigo_Mashimaro - 12 year-olds
OhTsuruMay 30, 2019 1:56 AM

May 29, 2019 12:21 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Could I get a recommendation for (Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread ??

Thank you~
May 29, 2019 12:49 PM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Ranacchi said:
Could I get a recommendation for (Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread ??

Thank you~

Fumikiri Jikan
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara
Shiyan Pin Jiating
May 29, 2019 1:12 PM

Aug 2018
Does "Steins;Gate 0" count as an alternative version to "Steins;Gate" for I.02? It's not officially linked, but "Steins;Gate: Kyoukaimenjou no Missing Link - Divide By Zero" is listed as an alternative version to "Steins;Gate" and is very obviously a direct lead-in to "Steins;Gate 0".
"Be furious you're going to die."
May 29, 2019 1:20 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
awesomepi said:
Does "Steins;Gate 0" count as an alternative version to "Steins;Gate" for I.02? It's not officially linked, but "Steins;Gate: Kyoukaimenjou no Missing Link - Divide By Zero" is listed as an alternative version to "Steins;Gate" and is very obviously a direct lead-in to "Steins;Gate 0".
Since Steins;Gate 0 isn't listed as an alternative version of Steins;Gate, you wouldn't be able to use it that way.

If you want to use Steins;Gate 0 specifically, watch Divide By Zero first, and then 0. Then list Divide By Zero as the previously watched, and 0 as the actual item.

Otherwise, you could just use Divide By Zero as the item and list Steins;Gate as the previously watched.
May 29, 2019 1:29 PM

Aug 2018
bigdud24 said:
awesomepi said:
Since Steins;Gate 0 isn't listed as an alternative version of Steins;Gate, you wouldn't be able to use it that way.

If you want to use Steins;Gate 0 specifically, watch Divide By Zero first, and then 0. Then list Divide By Zero as the previously watched, and 0 as the actual item.

Otherwise, you could just use Divide By Zero as the item and list Steins;Gate as the previously watched.

Yeah, that makes sense.
Funny thing, I was just looking at your profile thinking I should watch Gurren Lagaan for something from someone's forum set (I.25). What a coincidence!
"Be furious you're going to die."
May 29, 2019 1:45 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Yuki-Chan276 said:

Fumikiri Jikan
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara
Shiyan Pin Jiating

Thank you for the rec Yuki! Imma be going with Irozoku
May 29, 2019 2:17 PM

Oct 2007
Could I please get some recs for: (Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread?

Ideally, something with short, comedic episodes so I can break up the seriousness of 3-gatsu no Lion and (soon) Banana Fish.

Much appreciated!
May 29, 2019 2:35 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
blissfire said:
Could I please get some recs for: (Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread?

Ideally, something with short, comedic episodes so I can break up the seriousness of 3-gatsu no Lion and (soon) Banana Fish.

Much appreciated!

Not short, but definitely comedic: https://myanimelist.net/anime/11079/Kill_Me_Baby
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31143/Onsen_Yousei_Hakone-chan

May 29, 2019 2:36 PM

Nov 2014
blissfire said:

Much appreciated!
Ooh, I gotcha:
Wakako-zake
Tsuritama
Momokuri
Micchiri Neko

Hope you see one that piques your interest ^^

May 29, 2019 6:45 PM

Dec 2012
Maybe a basic question - if an active staff member's favorites change, can I provide a screenshot of the favorite I chose from before they changed it?
May 30, 2019 12:39 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
blissfire said:

Much appreciated!

Fumikiri Jikan (Short)
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san (Normal)
Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru! (Normal)
Akkun to Kanojo (Short)

Bayek said:
Maybe a basic question - if an active staff member's favorites change, can I provide a screenshot of the favorite I chose from before they changed it?

Yes, you can. Make sure to have their username on it.
May 30, 2019 3:46 AM

Oct 2007
Nice, thanks for all the options, Ranacchi, abhutrash and Yuki-Chan276! I'll check them all out. <3
May 30, 2019 4:25 AM

Aug 2013
Has someone watched or is planning to wach soon Fukumenkei Noise? I promised a friend to watch it, forgot said promise and planned the whole challenge. Now my friend reminded me and entry AP.30 is the easist and fastest way to include it.
May 30, 2019 5:24 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
simon443 said:
Has someone watched or is planning to wach soon Fukumenkei Noise? I promised a friend to watch it, forgot said promise and planned the whole challenge. Now my friend reminded me and entry AP.30 is the easist and fastest way to include it.

I've seen the first episode, but what are your concerns with the anime itself?
May 30, 2019 5:42 AM

Jan 2011
simon443 said:

It's a good anime. Has music (rock&roll and some goth rock???), drama, ups & downs, romance aka a love triangle(s), childhood promises, girl hiding her voice, etc.
It was a nice watch for me tho it seemed a bit rushed so I wasn't blown away. From me it got a score 7 :)

May 30, 2019 5:59 AM

Aug 2013
Yuki-Chan276 said:

I simply wanted to know if someone has watched it for the challenge or is planning to do so to include it in the entry (Ap.30) Watch an anime that another participant has completed for this challenge. After reading it again I understand my first post wasn't clear, my apologies.
May 30, 2019 6:17 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
simon443 said:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

I simply wanted to know if someone has watched it for the challenge or is planning to do so to include it in the entry (Ap.30) Watch an anime that another participant has completed for this challenge. After reading it again I understand my first post wasn't clear, my apologies.

I understand now, but no. I can't use it (as I started watching it when it aired (2017). Maybe someone else will~
May 31, 2019 8:45 AM
a lil bean โœจ

Feb 2011
Otaku58 said:

Please use the provided format for signing up on the challenge. Also avoid using that color as it is the one used for the turn-ins.

แƒฆ HiScore แƒฆ LoScore แƒฆ Auction

แƒฆ Turn-Ins แƒฆ AWCc

แ“šแ˜แ—ข

May 31, 2019 12:03 PM

Jan 2018
"Ap.29 Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread"

I'm counting on you everyone!

May 31, 2019 12:14 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
Yuki135 said:
"Ap.29 Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread"

I'm counting on you everyone!

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Kiznaiver
Houseki no Kuni
Ookami to Koushinryou
May 31, 2019 1:03 PM

Nov 2018
Hi everyone :)
I am currently on Intermediate. I was wondering if I could use for example «Working!!» for the challenge «Watch an anime with a title that ends with the first letter of your username» or if the «!!» count as well.

In the challenge explanations it says «exclude any numbers and/or special characters on your username, only letters» but nothing about he anime title.

I'm currently on level on mal-badges!
May 31, 2019 1:24 PM

Dec 2014
Ap.29 Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread

Can I have some recommendations ?
May 31, 2019 1:43 PM

Nov 2013
@Kiimiko

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18245/White_Album_2 (it's a standalone, don't worry about the '2' u don't need to see white album!)

https://myanimelist.net/anime/467/Koukaku_Kidoutai__Stand_Alone_Complex

https://myanimelist.net/anime/14719/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_TV

any of those take your interest?
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 31, 2019 7:56 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
gumpibaueli said:
Hi everyone :)
I am currently on Intermediate. I was wondering if I could use for example «Working!!» for the challenge «Watch an anime with a title that ends with the first letter of your username» or if the «!!» count as well.

In the challenge explanations it says «exclude any numbers and/or special characters on your username, only letters» but nothing about he anime title.

According to this post by @SheyCroix, that's fine.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 34 35 [36] 37 38 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» InuYasha as an Isekai Narrative.

Hartm12 - Yesterday

14 by rohan121 »»
52 seconds ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

36 by RareAnimeHunter »»
2 minutes ago

» If you could have 1 anime get licenced what would pick?

RareAnimeHunter - Yesterday

11 by Eternal-Destiny »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by Catalano »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7402 by TheBigGuy »»
7 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.