Forum Settings
Forums

Dark Mode / Dark Theme / Night Mode / Night Theme on MyAnimeList [Accepted]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 26, 2016 12:47 AM

Sep 2015
I support this
i always use the nightmode on websites, my eyes get sore after using the white/bright ones for a while
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 26, 2016 4:48 AM

May 2014
drgy55 said:
Agreed. Love the Halloween black at the top now, an option to use a black and white/grey theme would be awesome!

This and

Fried_Potato said:
Ya i would agree, furthermore i think most of us browsing anime at night time, it would be more friendlier for the eyes with the black theme

This. ^

I already kinda made my point But its obvious most of us Users are using MAL from Dark places (Like caves, basements, and other weeb encampments and colonies) So it actually kinda makes sense to have a duller or a darker theme ...

I mean, bright colors in dark lighting is kinda bad for the eyes as if our eyes arent spoiled alrdy Ayy lmao.
Oct 26, 2016 7:36 AM

Dec 2014
A dark theme would be awesome, especially for those of us that like to use MAL at night.

Keratoconus must suck. :<
Oct 26, 2016 8:57 AM

Jun 2014
I would love a theme where the whole site was black with light text. It's so much easier on the eyes.

Oct 26, 2016 10:53 AM

Apr 2016
Yes please. I like everything on my monitor to be dark at night, it helps me sleep.
Oct 26, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
Im also in for a dark theme
Oct 26, 2016 12:00 PM

Oct 2013
Fried_Potato said:
Ya i would agree, furthermore i think most of us browsing anime at night time, it would be more friendlier for the eyes with the black theme

@daAmazinFatB0y im using Chrome extension for the night theme in all sites its called "dark reader" works really good

i started that due to your suggestion. thanks, its pretty awesome.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Oct 26, 2016 1:33 PM
Nov 2013
daAmazinFatB0y said:
Fried_Potato said:

@daAmazinFatB0y im using Chrome extension for the night theme in all sites its called "dark reader" works really good

i started that due to your suggestion. thanks, its pretty awesome.

That was a really good tip
Thanks @Fried_Potato

I was about to say how I'd be willing to be a MAL supporter if there actually was an official dark theme for MAL, but I guess not anymore haha
Oct 26, 2016 2:22 PM

Jun 2016
+1, dark theme would be amazing.
Oct 26, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2012
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Can it be done? Im already looking at the top of the screen where the toolbar thingy is black n orange for MALoween n it looks real nice. Be awesome to switch to a dark black n orange theme.

@Ethereal
@NexAnim88
@UnpopularAnime
@Seiya
You can always use Stylish / userstyles if they don't apply it

https://userstyles.org/styles/119804/mal-dark-theme

MAL - Dark Theme

easy to install -

Oct 26, 2016 6:19 PM

Jul 2015
^ +1 that
You think the worst of all is far behind
The Vampyre of time and memories has died
I survived.
I speak, I breathe,
I'm incomplete
I'm alive - hooray!
You're wrong again
'Cause I feel no love

Oct 26, 2016 6:28 PM

Jun 2014
AllenVonStein said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Can it be done? Im already looking at the top of the screen where the toolbar thingy is black n orange for MALoween n it looks real nice. Be awesome to switch to a dark black n orange theme.

@Ethereal
@NexAnim88
@UnpopularAnime
@Seiya

MAL - Dark Theme

easy to install -

I'm afraid that theme is useless to me, because it still contains black text on white backgrounds, whereas I prefer white text on black backgrounds, because it's easier for me to read.

Oct 27, 2016 12:33 AM

Aug 2010
It's annoying to see the white color at late night hours. It would be nice to see a darker color for MAL website as well, maybe a form of switch between colors depending on the timezone? Even so it would be perfect just being able to do what you propose.

+1 for your idea
Oct 27, 2016 2:14 AM

Mar 2011
Sounds like a great idea! ^_^ +1
Oct 27, 2016 3:23 PM

Oct 2013
AllenVonStein said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

@Ethereal
@NexAnim88
@UnpopularAnime
@Seiya

MAL - Dark Theme

easy to install -

Already mentiond I use it on my PC but phone is a different story and that don't work on phone. i'd rather it be official too
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Oct 28, 2016 5:46 AM

Aug 2016
Zynol said:

I was about to say how I'd be willing to be a MAL supporter if there actually was an official dark theme for MAL, but I guess not anymore haha

Noo... you must support MAL nonetheless!!!!
^^
Oct 28, 2016 8:14 AM
Mar 2015
+1 for this
Oct 28, 2016 9:40 AM

Nov 2014
Even though i have a Stylish skin for MAL that is dark plus my waifu (Kurumi) i will +1 for dark themes officially on here for the sole fact that i also hate bright colors and it hurts my eyes, especially in dark rooms/at night time not to mention dark colors are much better in my opinion as they are more aesthetically pleasing and entertaining.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Oct 30, 2016 7:48 PM

Dec 2012
+1 for this :3 It's cool if that will happen XD But it's gonna be a super duper workload I guess XD Haha.

- barely alive -
Oct 30, 2016 7:51 PM

Apr 2016
+1 for this good idea. I think a dark theme for the site like those dark themes for our Anime/Manga lists would look great.
Just starting to get into manga. Entering full weebdom without any hope for return...
Nov 10, 2016 7:03 AM

Oct 2013
BUUUUUUUUUUUUMP!!!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Nov 10, 2016 8:11 AM

Feb 2015
Nov 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Sep 2014
_Ako_ said:
-1 on this one...

I'm happy at what MAL have now...

Ughhh and where's the harm in adding a dark theme? What do you lose?
We're not talking about changing the site, but introducing an OPTION to pick a dark theme.
Nov 10, 2016 9:33 AM

Feb 2015
Imaishi said:
_Ako_ said:
-1 on this one...

I'm happy at what MAL have now...

We're not talking about changing the site, but introducing an OPTION to pick a dark theme.

I don't give a shit to what others believe, I believe in what I believe.

I'm particularly happy with the themes in MAL, I don't care if the mods implement it since I won't use it.
Nov 10, 2016 1:30 PM

Oct 2013
_Ako_ said:
Imaishi said:

I don't give a shit to what others believe, I believe in what I believe.

I'm particularly happy with the themes in MAL, I don't care if the mods implement it since I won't use it.

but it doesn't change anything for you as it will be optional. Its only one theme we have now. i'd ubderstand if we were asking for a permanent change and u'd disagree but its optional and will no affect on you so I don't get it lol

Then again, its your opinion so....yh lol
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Nov 10, 2016 1:59 PM
Jul 2016
+1
something like dark grey or dark blue ?
Nov 10, 2016 5:14 PM

Dec 2009
+1
dark gunmetal grey with the lighter blue accent colour for logos etc.

https://userstyles.org/styles/120493/dark-night-myanimelist
This is the simplest one, meaning it should be able to keep working even if MAL changes/updates stuff.
GenesisAriaNov 10, 2016 5:23 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 10, 2016 9:49 PM
Oct 2016
+1
YAAAASSSSS we need this. I don't want to get blinded at night anymore.
I hope the admin sees this.
Niro_Nov 10, 2016 9:53 PM
Nov 11, 2016 12:18 AM

Dec 2015
If you want to implement an offical theme into the site (like ... making it so you wouldn't need 3rd party software/external scripts) then make your to keep the default them. (I - and a lot of other people - hate changes.)

And make a setting in the profile so logged in users (or maybe a cookie that remembers it so it will be also possible without being logged in) can change the setting manually if they want it. (Without forcing anybody to change it or needing to change it back.)

As long as you keep this in mind I'm okay and not against the suggestion.
Nov 11, 2016 12:47 AM

Apr 2012
GenesisAria said:
This is the simplest one, meaning it should be able to keep working even if MAL changes/updates stuff.
Not bad, and it is a little brighter than Zealotus night theme (which I find too dark for my taste).
https://userstyles.org/styles/7678/myanimelist-net-night-theme
EratiKNov 11, 2016 12:51 AM
Nov 11, 2016 2:33 AM

Jul 2014
+1
I always use dark theme CSS, would be glad if MAL has official dark theme.
Nov 11, 2016 2:59 AM

Oct 2013
As I stated before, I use custom themes for desktop but I would preferan official one because it'll be official, you know? Its just better and feels....cleaner? Sounds weird I know but Id prefer it being official. Saves me having to search and reinstall em whenever I reinstall Chrome (it slows down eventually so that's why).

I use these 2 themes together:

Dark/Night MyAnimeList:

Sky Blue Night MAL:
https://userstyles.org/styles/24327/sky-blue-night-mal

Luthandorius said:
If you want to implement an offical theme into the site (like ... making it so you wouldn't need 3rd party software/external scripts) then make your to keep the default them. (I - and a lot of other people - hate changes.)

And make a setting in the profile so logged in users (or maybe a cookie that remembers it so it will be also possible without being logged in) can change the setting manually if they want it. (Without forcing anybody to change it or needing to change it back.)

As long as you keep this in mind I'm okay and not against the suggestion.

Yeah I'm not asking for a permanent and forceful change, its something that every user should be able to choose to use. Like other forums would have the option at the bottom of the page as a drop down menu, just pick and it'll apply it and will only apply for you.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Feb 11, 2017 4:54 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
I'm using scripts for this but I do agree with what was said

Senator said:
[...]I know there are some other themes for the site, but maybe everyone's computers ain't too good and they avoid running extra stuff on Chrome to hinder its performance.[...]

Sometimes they make the browser crash or slow down ...

here supporting this idea

Mod Edit: Merged posts for thread merge.
TenshoFeb 12, 2017 12:16 AM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Feb 12, 2017 12:16 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate threads merged
Feb 12, 2017 8:36 AM

Jul 2014
MY EYES AT NIGHT!!!

lol but seriously, would be nice when I'm browsing on my tablet else I'll have to turn on high contrast mode which screws up everything else.
Feb 12, 2017 9:59 AM

May 2016
Senator said:
As my topic was deleted, i'll post the stuff here, to back this idea.

Yo.

I'd suggest adding a switch kinda thing to switch the default white background to a darker theme.
I know there are some other themes for the site, but maybe everyone's computers ain't too good and they avoid running extra stuff on Chrome to hinder its performance.

Being someone trying to preserve my eyes as I'm around the web a lot, I think about this kinda stuff and the choice to change to better option instead of the default white "lazer" theme in the evening would benefit a lot of people.

All the best~
You nailed it Yeah a lot of people don't have high quality pc including myself lol that would be really great thing to add the dark theme
Feb 19, 2017 1:12 AM

Jan 2016
I also recommend Dark Reader for Chrome. I have sensitive eyes and it makes every page dark. And for pages that are normally dark, you can set specific exceptions to make them stay dark. Also try f.lux if you haven't, software that softens the colors of a screen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2017 3:54 AM

Aug 2016
hinto said:
I also recommend Dark Reader for Chrome. I have sensitive eyes and it makes every page dark. And for pages that are normally dark, you can set specific exceptions to make them stay dark. Also try f.lux if you haven't, software that softens the colors of a screen.

You're still going around with my siggy don't you!!!

Back to the context, I'd like to have a dark-theme as well, or maybe reading mode or something. Not for the looks, my eyes at night are what I care actually. True that the mods posted a link for the theme, but it's a bit troublesome having to install those browser extensions...
Feb 19, 2017 5:30 AM

Aug 2015
Daily reminder that we need an official dark theme for MAL.
Feb 19, 2017 4:04 PM

Jan 2016
Noire-Chan said:
hinto said:

And it looks like yours got removed. Since I'm the only one left using it, I guess that makes it my sig. How delightful!

*Update: Now mine was removed too.
hintoFeb 19, 2017 5:08 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2017 5:09 PM

Aug 2016
hinto said:
Noire-Chan said:

And it looks like yours got removed. Since I'm the only one left using it, I guess that makes it my sig. How delightful!

It was only too big by 100px! Not really a problematic matter!
Looks like you won't copy mine now, thank god.
Feb 19, 2017 8:47 PM

Jun 2016
+10 for this great idea. Im more into Material dark theme simply its pleasing for my eyes. Creator san or admins please consider it. ^^
Feb 20, 2017 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
hurray for medical reform!
+1
Jun 5, 2017 1:52 AM

Aug 2016
+1000 for this fantastic idea. I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers dark themed websites. Why isn't this a thing yet?

Actual footage of me opening MAL at midnight to update my animu:

Please MAL, please take this awesome idea in consideration :)
Jun 30, 2017 2:28 PM

Oct 2013
Hi,

I think a dark mode would be nice to the website. More and more website have a dark mode option and switching from websites which have dark modes enabled to MyAnimeList which is all white is really painful lol
Jun 30, 2017 2:55 PM

Sep 2012
This suggested many times by me and others but since you can do that with an add-on they don't want to do it. Or at least that is what I understand. Although I prefer an official way to do it since add-on has bugs.
Jul 1, 2017 7:52 AM

Oct 2013
Arf...

What's the add-on ? It might be useful
Jul 1, 2017 8:24 AM

Aug 2014
what about edgy mode instead?

but I'm sure stylish has MAL styles, it's just a quick search away

EDIT: there is also a chrome one, you have google for that.
Jul 1, 2017 10:00 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged
Oct 6, 2017 4:51 PM

Apr 2016
Certain websites and applications are dark or have the ability to toggle a dark mode (YouTube, Discord, etc.). It's easier on the eyes, especially when you're using it for a long period of time. I'm on MAL a lot, and the stark white background makes my eyes hurt after a while. I'm suggesting a dark mode that can be toggled on and off. I know nothing about web design, so I don't know how difficult this would be to implement. Nevertheless, it would be a much appreciated feature.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Changing anime title to English.

removed-user - Feb 10, 2020

22 by Strahan »»
2 hours ago

» GIF is slowly but surely being replace by Video formats like WebM so MAL should update to it too

deg - Oct 11, 2014

24 by deg »»
Yesterday, 7:53 PM

» Last episode of the anime/season notification

teddya78 - Yesterday

1 by hacker09 »»
Yesterday, 9:06 AM

» Who thought this was a good idea?

Shenhe - May 26

11 by Shenhe »»
Jun 21, 9:29 PM

» Bots/fake accounts

9765 - Jun 10

8 by ACasualViewer »»
Jun 21, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.