Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2018 11:00 AM
May 2015
great first ep

best animated action sequences in a long time. mecha genre desperately needed this

Trigger > Kyoani
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2018 11:00 AM

Jul 2017
Looks like this will be good. this shit has me hyped
Jan 13, 2018 11:07 AM

Jul 2010
Well that was pretty....underwhelming? It's only the first ep so hopefully the next few eps will make me more attached to the cast because not feeling it right now and do they have to force romance immediately already :/
Jan 13, 2018 11:10 AM
Jan 2014
It is like the son of Guilty Crown and NGE ?
Jan 13, 2018 11:14 AM

May 2010
Loved this episode! i mean im watching it by default cause its TRIGGER but i hope it doesnt turn into "kiznaiver" somehow.
Jan 13, 2018 11:18 AM
Jul 2015
It seems that even Japanese viewers love the fact that this Anime has Multiple Couples, as you can read here >>> http://ponpokonwes.blog.jp/archives/74498934.html

Quote : 679: ポンポコ名無しさん 2018/01/14(日) 00:09:40.89 ID:ntPVOc+a0
あらかじめカップルが決まってる作品は潔くていい
もう取っ替え引っ替えのラブコメなんて見とうない

Translation : It's quite good for a show to have a decided and fixed couples from the beginning. I no longer wish to watch Romcoms where girls after girls keep coming ( after one guy ).

My Comment : Me too. Multiple Couples Action Anime are the Best !
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Jan 13, 2018 11:21 AM

Sep 2017
That was pretty freaking cool. The old man said something about how when the two pilots hearts connect (or whatever it was) the FranXX transform into a more powerful form. So I guess that kiss probably had something to do with that, and also, Zero Two probably didn't have a good connection with her old co pilot.

Oh yeah, that red head said Zero Two has robot dinosaur blood in her. Literally? Explains the horns I guess?
Jan 13, 2018 11:33 AM

Dec 2015
Out of all the Trigger shows I have seen (Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver, Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco), this one definitely has the weakest first episode out of all of them.

I guess I just really hate how infuriatingly generic the main character looks and acts. Comparing to all the other protagonists from Trigger, he definitely seems the weakest with very little redeeming qualities or intrigue behind his characterization (and yes, even Katsuhira, at least his character LOOKED like someone put effort behind it). Would it have killed the character designers to at least put SOME sort of interesting features like a birth mark or a scar or idk, multicolored eyes to distinguish him from ANY OTHER GENERIC ANIME PROTAGONIST WITH FLAT BLACK HAIR OUT THERE?

In terms of visual department, this show is not as over the top and stylized as Kill la Kill and Luluco, not as elegantly beautiful like Kiznaiver, and not as uniquely charming as Little Witch Academia. It looks fine, and is well animated, but fails to really stand out. The setting is also doing no favors for the show thus far. However, I do dig the designs of the mecha and the "klaxosaurs."

I'm going to continue with this show with trepidation and optimism that it will improve as time goes by. The story does have potential of becoming something great. I love Studio Trigger and every creative work that they have done so far, and I do NOT wish that this show to be an exception, but with so much influence and participation by A-1 (a studio known to produce a mixed bag of quality in their works), can this even be considered a Trigger show?

Only time will tell I guess :/
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 13, 2018 11:37 AM
Jan 2017
Let me start by saying that I only paid minimal attention to the hype and started watching out of simple curiosity. I have to say that this is an interesting premise and the robot designs are pretty cool. I'm also interested to see how the relationship between Hiro and Zero Two will play out. It's not a series I'm overly interested in but it's off to a good start.
Jan 13, 2018 11:37 AM

Apr 2014
Not impressed so far. The mecha action was gorgeous but the story and some of the dialogues were chuuni as fuck.
Jan 13, 2018 11:39 AM

Oct 2016
It was actually pretty good. This anime focus on the story than the fan service. This has to be one of best first episode anime in this season in my opinion. The animation is prefect, not to overly bright and saturated.

This might be one of my favorite anime in this season but i'll wait for few episodes
Jan 13, 2018 11:40 AM

Jun 2015
Great first episode. Please Trigger don't fail me now.
Jan 13, 2018 11:40 AM

Sep 2015
Hibikase said:
Out of all the Trigger shows I have seen

can this even be considered a Trigger show?

This is not a "Trigger show". No.

Quoting myself:
- It's the director and his creative team who're doing the job that makes the anime take its shape.
- A-1 has a lot of talented people, not to mention some cool freelance dudes helping them during the tough times.
- Trigger has a priority role of supervising the action scenes, but there should be enough episodes (fully?) produced by them too.
- Khara (for the most part?) does 3D CG. Yes, don't expect everything to be hand-drawn, it's practically impossible for this project.

I'm not getting into the details (because I'm as incompetent as you are), but at least I suggest you to think before posting complete nonsense later. Remember, it's Trigger x A-1 anime. Not just Trigger or A-1. Those are studios, not some uniform entities. They have different people working on various things, and there are other people responsible for putting the things together.
Jan 13, 2018 11:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
finally, a mecha anime to enjoy!!!
nice first episode!!! Also, the boys were a surprised!!!
Jan 13, 2018 11:47 AM

Apr 2015
Hibikase said:
Out of all the Trigger shows I have seen (Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver, Little Witch Academia, Space Patrol Luluco), this one definitely has the weakest first episode out of all of them.

That might be because you're forcing a Trigger tag onto it when it's no Trigger show. You don't seem to know the specifics about the staff so a little run down.

This is Nishigori's baby ( Ex Gainax, A-1 regular, heart of the Idolmaster series ). He's supported by Toshifumi Akai ( Also heart of the idolmaster series and very competent animation supervisor on several other shows ) as assistant director and Naotaka ( Plastic Memories, S;G, Memories Off etc. ) on the series composition. Basically all the key roles for creative decisions except action sequences are filled with non Trigger staff. Designs are done by Tanaka ( Your Name, HSOTD etc. ) and Koyama ( Evangelion, KLK ). The sole influence Trigger has in the whole scheme of things is in the action department with Imaishi storyboarding the whole thing and some Trigger folks supporting it with animator prowess. Funnily enough that wasn't present in this episode at all as it was pretty much handled alone by A-1's partner studio and that very well in fact.

Remember that this is a collaboration based on old relations back in the Gainax days, it's not a Trigger show and it's not an A-1 show. You should really turn off your favoritism of the one and your disdain for the other. This will help you a lot in enjoying the show more instead of forcing it into fulfilling some expectations that it just won't.
Jan 13, 2018 11:50 AM

Feb 2015
That was the best opening episode ive seen to a new series in some time. Top notch animation as well.

My waifu alarm was also triggered
Jan 13, 2018 11:51 AM

Jan 2014
THE TRIGGER GODS ARE FUCKING BACK BOYZZZZZ !!!

BEST EPISODE OF THIS SEASON YET

Besides the second half of 3 gatsu no lion S2, this will be Anime of the season, I'm calling it now
Jan 13, 2018 11:53 AM
Nov 2015
love, love, loved it!! beautiful soundtrack and easily best premier i’ve seen in a while 5/5
Jan 13, 2018 11:53 AM

Feb 2017
So.... Naomi died right?
Jan 13, 2018 11:58 AM
Nov 2015
Very nice! I hope A1 learn something from this anime.
Jan 13, 2018 12:01 PM
Nov 2017
I want to be Zero Two's Darling, lol.

Great first episode, my hype meter was off the scale. I look forward to seeing how Hiro grows. I love the FranXX concept and can't wait to see the reactions to Hiro in the next ep.
Jan 13, 2018 12:03 PM

Apr 2014
Jesus christ. Someone linked a panel from the manga and this is how the mech's will be driven.

Jan 13, 2018 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
The only thing I'm digging so far is the animation. Trigger quality of course. But other than that...? I don't know (yet). The episode was more annoying than impressing to me, so many tropes, so little insight. The characters left little to no impression on me and the whole MC & pretty girl partnership + fanservice is so cliché, of course they even had to seal it with a kiss. Sure cool stuff happened, but mostly all they did was throwing around terms we don't even understand yet. I have to admit the worldbuilding seems pretty interesting, but we didn't exactly get much information on that. Oh and the Franxx having eyes and being able to talk throws me of a looot, I like my mechas silent and intimidating. I'll watch a few more episodes though, maybe I'll get hooked after all.
« KILL WITCHES GET BITCHES »
– official 魔法少女 “mahou shoujo“ credo
Jan 13, 2018 12:08 PM

Sep 2015
Z4k said:
Jesus christ. Someone linked a panel from the manga and this is how the mech's will be driven.

That's been pretty much obvious all along:

Jan 13, 2018 12:12 PM

Apr 2014
Aelyn said:
Z4k said:

That's been pretty much obvious all along:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/BBlGzSZ.gif[img]

I must have missed watching some of the new PVs. It's....a unique way to drive the mechs lmao.
Jan 13, 2018 12:15 PM

Nov 2016
Woah, a serious AOTS contender right there.

One can really tell how talented the staff which is working on this is.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 13, 2018 12:15 PM

Nov 2008
Well, dang. The first episode focused so much on the main couple and I don't like them even a little. I'm used to manic pixie dream girls, but this one just seems perfectly designed to get the guy out of his rut and nothing else. As for the guy, he's so boring I don't really care if he does get out or not.

I mean, a lot could change obviously, but the first episode didn't really set up anything I'd be invested in.
Jan 13, 2018 12:17 PM

Dec 2015
Fappa said:
Hibikase said:

That might be because you're forcing a Trigger tag onto it when it's no Trigger show. You don't seem to know the specifics about the staff so a little run down.

This is Nishigori's baby ( Ex Gainax, A-1 regular, heart of the Idolmaster series ). He's supported by Toshifumi Akai ( Also heart of the idolmaster series and very competent animation supervisor on several other shows ) as assistant director and Naotaka ( Plastic Memories, S;G, Memories Off etc. ) on the series composition. Basically all the key roles for creative decisions except action sequences are filled with non Trigger staff. Designs are done by Tanaka ( Your Name, HSOTD etc. ) and Koyama ( Evangelion, KLK ). The sole influence Trigger has in the whole scheme of things is in the action department with Imaishi storyboarding the whole thing and some Trigger folks supporting it with animator prowess. Funnily enough that wasn't present in this episode at all as it was pretty much handled alone by A-1's partner studio and that very well in fact.

Remember that this is a collaboration based on old relations back in the Gainax days, it's not a Trigger show and it's not an A-1 show. You should really turn off your favoritism of the one and your disdain for the other. This will help you a lot in enjoying the show more instead of forcing it into fulfilling some expectations that it just won't.
Yeah, I guess you are right. I should not force my expectations on a show based on the studio alone. But even when turning away from the subject of which studio is more responsible for the show, the first episode was still pretty weak, especially in terms of overall characterization and establishing intrigue (at least in my opinion). The episode ended on a decent note, but it got there through massive amounts of exposition dumping and occasional awkward directing.

The show also has to work harder to make me care about Hiro to make up for his weak character design and first impressions. Also, I'm not sure if you read my post carefully, but I don't really have any "disdain" for A-1 Pictures. I'm just saying that they produce a mixed bag in terms of quality, there are the Good shows (Your Lie in April, Anohana, parts of Erased), and bad/mediocre ones (Sword Art Online, Occultic; Nine, Asterisk War). I certainly BELIEVE that they have the talent in staff and creative minds to create a great show, but they still fall short comparing to the few shows Trigger produced that all score consistently 8-9 in my books.

Jan 13, 2018 12:19 PM

Apr 2015
Lawli-Pop said:
The only thing I'm digging so far is the animation. Trigger quality of course.

Funnily enough this "Trigger quality" was handled by exclusively staff connected to A-1 or A-1 regular such as Megumi Kouno. If anything was Trigger this episode it was Imaishi's storyboard but even that had to be backed up with the animation power to make it work.
Jan 13, 2018 12:21 PM

Nov 2017
a little underwhelming, characters are boring and the design is anooying
Jan 13, 2018 12:24 PM

Dec 2015
Nyuu3 said:
Well, dang. The first episode focused so much on the main couple and I don't like them even a little. I'm used to manic pixie dream girls, but this one just seems perfectly designed to get the guy out of his rut and nothing else. As for the guy, he's so boring I don't really care if he does get out or not.

I mean, a lot could change obviously, but the first episode didn't really set up anything I'd be invested in.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I feel like in this day and age of anime, compelling male protagonists are getting more and more few and far between. It feels like most of the time, the male main character serves entirely as either an audience surrogate (as anime has a predominately male demographic) or just a means to make the side characters stand out/seem more interesting (especially for the females). This is not inherently terrible, and many shows and even media outside of anime do this, but anime seems to be especially egregious in using the same character stupid template/design for every single generic protagonist out there. After a while... it just gets tiring.
Jan 13, 2018 12:27 PM

Apr 2015
Hibikase said:

Yeah, I guess you are right. I should not force my expectations on a show based on the studio alone. But even when turning away from the subject of which studio is more responsible for the show, the first episode was still pretty weak, especially in terms of overall characterization and establishing intrigue (at least in my opinion). The episode ended on a decent note, but it got there through massive amounts of exposition dumping and occasional awkward directing.

The show also has to work harder to make me care about Hiro to make up for his weak character design and first impressions. Also, I'm not sure if you read my post carefully, but I don't really have any "disdain" for A-1 Pictures. I'm just saying that they produce a mixed bag in terms of quality, there are the Good shows (Your Lie in April, Anohana, parts of Erased), and bad/mediocre ones (Sword Art Online, Occultic; Nine, Asterisk War). I certainly BELIEVE that they have the talent in staff and creative minds to create a great show, but they still fall short comparing to the few shows Trigger produced that all score consistently 8-9 in my books.

I don't know, it worked perfectly fine for me cause I keep in mind that this is 24 episodes long after all and there is only so much they can do within a single episode. Hiro's case clearly is presented in a way so that he is supposed to appear shallow and weak. He failed in the one thing he trained and lived for and now has no real goal. Zero Two is the polar opposite to him in that regard while sharing similarities and she will be what gives him character and a goal down the line. Very different characters bouncing off each other is a very good way to characterize both without making the viewer feel fixated on a single character.

I get what you mean but it's important to distinct the studio and the staff working in it. As far as I know, no position with creative influence in this show that features A-1 staff has worked on the A-1 shows you just mentioned so using this as a way to judge the people working on this is kinda useless. It's probably the best for you to just think of it as a little Ex-Gainax meet up and collaboration.
Jan 13, 2018 12:27 PM

Sep 2013
Only good thing is yabuki's designs.
I can feel the romance drama already, ntr and rape will probably happen.
Jan 13, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2016
THIS IS HOW YOU SET UP A SHOW, the animation was god-tier, the direction was outstanding, the music was hype af, this is awesome! However... I do wonder if the characters can hold up and if the romance will weigh too much on the overall focus.
What.
Jan 13, 2018 12:42 PM

Dec 2015
@Z4k Thats becuz its drawn by To Love Ru mangaka. Which is a good thing.
Jan 13, 2018 12:51 PM
Jan 2017
The first episode for me started from "this is weird" to "the mechs are waifus"
Which from the amount of comments I've read hasn't been talked about, but then again, who would want tot call a mech best waifu, but then again, I guess the female pilot would be the one mainly controlling the mech from what we've seen, anyways, I'm gonna be waiting for t he lewd drawings of the mechs, also I'm gonna be a participating watcher of this anime, for obvious reason

~~the mechs have tits, mein godt have the times changed~~

~~It's like the male body standard going from big bulky, to femboy~~

~~Maybe from kick ass sharp mech design we'll start getting kick ass waifu mechs?~~
Jan 13, 2018 12:54 PM
Jul 2015
This video introduces all of the Franxxs of all those Couples >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTM74oyeBvw

I wonder which Couple will get their Franxx Transformation next ?

This show really makes good use of the this phrase, "Absolute Duo" instead of that Anime that actually uses said title but then doesn't show any other Boy-Girl Couple other than Tooru-Julie. In that other Anime, Tooru's male friend doesn't get paired with a girl, but instead gets a gay...Um..I meant to say "guy".

This show is the first Action Anime I've watched after DBZ that features a minimum of 3 Male-Female Couples including the MC and his Girl.
CoolitzHubertXVIJan 13, 2018 12:58 PM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Jan 13, 2018 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
not really convinced by the writing/story

but i really like the art style and kinda reminds me of eureka seven but probably mostly because of Anemone

i'm gonna stay around for the ride

maybe.

Jan 13, 2018 12:59 PM

Dec 2016
my first ever taste of mecha anime, and it tasted pretty good
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 13, 2018 1:03 PM

Jan 2018
I didn’t know about the hype for this either but I enjoyed the show especially the animation. I also love the design and personality of the main girl. The main guy, not so much but we’ll see how that goes.

hell is other people
Jan 13, 2018 1:03 PM

Aug 2017
Well the shows had a decent start I suppose, it has some moments where you start to wonder if they were trying to do a first episode similar to EVA (considering that both studios were influenced by Gainax)

So, of course, they had to give the main FranXX a feminine figure XD. To be honest, so far I´ve never seemed an anime with a female mecha so let's see how that goes

so far my only wonder is that they have a lot to explain, the world, why pairs of children pilot the FranXX and how that works, the beast and so on. They also show a wide cast but give them not so much presentation. They have a lot of work to do in future episodes to correct that

My only hope is that this ends up being a show that I can put on the good side of A-1, I want to believe such thing exists.
Jan 13, 2018 1:06 PM

Aug 2014
Really good! get me hooked all the time. Long time ago that happend.

Hope this Main girl can get to the same level as Gasai yuni, Asuka and so on and other "strong" female characters.
SweanimeJan 13, 2018 1:19 PM
Jan 13, 2018 1:09 PM

Oct 2011
Hyped just as Guilty Crown was hyped in the 1st episode lets hope it's doesn't go down from here on out.

as someone who finished TTGL 3months ago, I can already say that the mecha fights are going to be as crazy as TTGL ones.

Knew this was going to be especial just from the announcing poster alone.

Having a character with the personality of Zero Two in a anime like this is just perfect, now lets hope the MC isn't some Shinji and can be mature enough for her, keep in mind that in TTGL, we had Simon that was a little child in the begginning and(TTGL SPOILER) turned to be a badass later on, so don't freak out yet.

Definitely the best 1st episode of the season.
Jan 13, 2018 1:15 PM

Apr 2016
Feeling a real classic here. I love it! Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill vibes.
Jan 13, 2018 1:19 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Watching this felt like being transported in a time machine some 10 , 15 years ago. Pretty old school stuff with Gainax influence. Still pretty darn entertaining and exciting. And Zero Two is one hot crazy demon lady.

I'm pretty pleased with this season. Devilman Crybaby, Violet Evergarden and now this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 13, 2018 1:19 PM

Apr 2008
The animation is great, the music is good, the action is intense, but everything else... I don't know where to start. The whole premise is a big fucking NOPE. I hate that fucking perverted doctor already and I have the feeling he's supposed to be a good guy. I guess I should have been wary when they announced Yabuki Kentarou's involvement.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Jan 13, 2018 1:20 PM

Jan 2013
blackblood11111 said:
The first episode for me started from "this is weird" to "the mechs are waifus"
Which from the amount of comments I've read hasn't been talked about, but then again, who would want tot call a mech best waifu, but then again, I guess the female pilot would be the one mainly controlling the mech from what we've seen, anyways, I'm gonna be waiting for t he lewd drawings of the mechs, also I'm gonna be a participating watcher of this anime, for obvious reason

~~the mechs have tits, mein godt have the times changed~~

~~It's like the male body standard going from big bulky, to femboy~~

~~Maybe from kick ass sharp mech design we'll start getting kick ass waifu mechs?~~
Mechs with tits is nothing new, they've been around since Mazinger.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 13, 2018 1:20 PM
Jul 2018
That had a REALLY good first episode. It felt like watching one of the Eva rebuilds but with Stardriver x Zoids style-mecha and a female lead that reminds me a bit of Future Diary. No idea where this anime is going to go but it had an interesting start. It seems to me that Hiro should be a bit more concerned with what happened to his original partner though. Not that I can blame him for being distracted by Zero Two.

Zero Two is FINE

Also the mecha have nice robutts.
Jan 13, 2018 1:22 PM
Oct 2007
The 2 pilots concept remind me of Pacific Rim
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2018 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
zzzeally said:

but i really like the art style and kinda reminds me of eureka seven but probably mostly because of Anemone

i'm gonna stay around for the ride

maybe.
Exactly my thoughts.
Although Zero Two seems to have a bit more self control than Anemone. Only a bit though.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

345 by Modek69 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

1502 by imsevlol »»
Oct 4, 6:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

367 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

647 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

363 by 143eitasasaki »»
Sep 21, 10:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.