Forum Settings
Forums

Are you satisfied with how your country is represented in anime?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 13, 2017 1:53 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Hrybami said:
Are the references to your country in anime even accurate to the local geography or are the anime characters from your country believable or are they actually stereotyped?

I've not seen much reference to Canada in anime, but some of them include:

A scene inside a building in Canada in Grisaia no Meikyuu.
An ad on a Beaver's tail (A pastry from Canada) in the background in Tsuki ga kirei when they were in the amusement park.
A character was said transferred to Canada in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.

There aren't much reference to the poutine's nation in anime and it's quite surprising considering that there are actually a lot of native Japanese currently living in Canada.

I'm curious if the other country or other nationality are accurately referenced in anime.

To add to your list :

Motherheckin KING JJ from Yuri On Ice is canadian
Also if i remember correctly the start of Super Lovers happen in Canada (havent watched it tho)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 13, 2017 1:57 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
AND THE PROMS TOMORROW.

Nov 13, 2017 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
My country has never been represented or even ever mentioned in any anime.
Nov 13, 2017 2:15 PM

Sep 2014
DatRandomDude said:
Hrybami said:
Are the references to your country in anime even accurate to the local geography or are the anime characters from your country believable or are they actually stereotyped?

An ad on a Beaver's tail (A pastry from Canada) in the background in Tsuki ga kirei when they were in the amusement park.

There aren't much reference to the poutine's nation in anime and it's quite surprising considering that there are actually a lot of native Japanese currently living in Canada.

I'm curious if the other country or other nationality are accurately referenced in anime.

To add to your list :

Also if i remember correctly the start of Super Lovers happen in Canada (havent watched it tho)

I also just remembered that in the interlude of the episode 09 of Kemono Friend, the animal information part was given by a woman who was literally speaking French Canadian. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that.
Nov 13, 2017 2:21 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Hrybami said:
DatRandomDude said:

To add to your list :

I also just remembered that in the interlude of the episode 09 of Kemono Friend, the animal information part was given by a woman who was literally speaking French Canadian. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that.

Nani the fuck ? Thats pretty amazing.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 13, 2017 2:23 PM
Jun 2016
No, they still think it's tentacle pr0n. With that I mean the Netherlands
Nov 13, 2017 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
America needs much better representation.
Why do all anime characters from America have blonde hair and blue eyes and are Caucasian? We've got Latinos, Africans, Asians, there's a reason America is called the, "melting pot of different cultures".
In fact, whenever an American character appears, all they say is, "he/she's American!" Even though "American" isn't a race, which is kind of a known fact.

So it pisses me off how the entire main cast of Blood Blockade Battlefront are Caucasian, even though they live in New York, one of, if not the, most racially diverse place in America.
Baccano! is set in the early 1900s, when immigration was still happening, and it's focused on mafia (whom are all Italian, obviously) but still weird to see almost no non-white characters, while characters of color are just background.
If an anime comes out about that's set in America, and is about jazz or rap, and there's almost no black characters, I'm gonna write a rant.
Asian culture's obsession with "pure white skin" pisses me off to no ends.
Anime already misrepresents Japan by putting in almost no yellow skinned characters, even though I've seen plenty of Japanese people with yellowish skin, I don't want it to be misrepresenting MY country.

It's two thousand fucking seventeen. Transportation is a breeze, there's the internet, Japan's foreign population is increasing, I'm sick of hearing arguments like, "Oh, but they're Japanese, they have all this history bla bla bla"
Give me a break.

And I'm going to get lots of backlash, because I mentioned an accurate misrepresentation of race in anime, presumably by people who'll throw insults at me instead of making any points, and who don't know what America is actually like.
Bring in the hate! I'm not called ThatCynicalOtaku for no reason!
Nov 13, 2017 2:27 PM

Sep 2014
jal90 said:
OP, you will probably be familiar with the source story, but check Takahata's Anne of Green Gables.

Anime in Spain... uhm, there was a short by Kenji Kamiyama called Xi Avant which was a nice visual but kind of meh sociocultural portrayal of Barcelona. Nasu: Andalusia no natsu is a similar one except probably a little more on point. The arc of Dressrosa in One Piece is based on Spain, and some other shows where characters travel here for an episode or a special... all of these have in common that they are very interesting and accurate portrayals of the places they are based on, but obviously the Japanese point of view of how Spanish society works is quite weird to me. But the representation itself is fine. A lot of folklore stuff that is always the first thing tourists are driven to so I guess it's understandable. But sorry, Japan, we don't usually dance sevillanas in the middle of the street and bullfighting is kind of not a thing currently.

Sora no Woto is a special case because the scenarios are based on the Spanish town of Cuenca but the society it portrays does not intend to resemble the original.

omg why is this so accurate

Thanks for the input. I had absolutely no idea of the existence of that.

Glad to see the spanish reference in Tari Tari accurate. It was one of my favourite gag from the anime. "I don't money" XD
Nov 13, 2017 2:31 PM

Mar 2016
For Croatia, the only anime I can think of that represents it is Porco Rosso (he spends most of the time on the Croatian side of the Adriatic). Aside from the sea plane pirates, it's mostly spot on, at least for the era it was depicting. When Miyazaki does something, he does it well.
Nov 13, 2017 2:34 PM

Feb 2016
ChRonicCorneria said:
No-one ever mentions Canada...
:\
What do Japanese people even think about Canadians?
Probably the same this as South Park xD
Nov 13, 2017 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
Not really, but it's not like I'm losing sleep over it. Me being from the United States, I gotta say that the American portrayal in the Samurai Champloo ep.23 was downright hilarious.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2017 2:47 PM

Oct 2010
Hrybami said:
Glad to see the spanish reference in Tari Tari accurate. It was one of my favourite gag from the anime. "I don't money" XD

I was only half-serious there, eh! The pronunciation is very good, the attitude is... well, I know guys like these, but the delivery is quite off. But I guess it's a fine representation.
Nov 13, 2017 2:50 PM

Feb 2016
I think it's fine, pretty much. (United States of America)

Although there is some shots fired on occasion. Think I remember like two small ones in Shirobako. Don't remember both, but one was a jab at american celebrities. It was true though, so I just kinda laughed at it. I think the other was also true, just don't remember what it was.

Something I do notice also is that we do tend to kinda come up often when there's like outside military to be involved. Not bad though, just I've noticed like say for instance -- when they're talking about getting reinforcements from outside military or some other related stuff it's usually America. We may not have technological prowess but I guess we got firepower? Idk. I don't keep up/look into the stuff. Although I don't remember said military ever actually showing up in any of them, just mentioned plot wise.

Doesn't bother me though and I haven't ran into that often, just America came up often enough for me to note it. I don't read into the stuff, so it's whatever.

On another note though, ThatCynicalOtaku makes a good point about races... always caucasian despite the realistic diversity.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Nov 13, 2017 2:56 PM
May 2017
Every over exaggerated depiction of an american or the US in general that i've seen is usually like the funniest shit ever. Always really over the top and most times tongue in cheek, so I don't think i've ever been mad or upset.
Nov 13, 2017 3:03 PM

Apr 2017
I saw my country (morocco) in Cowboy bebop and I was both happy and surprised

Nov 13, 2017 3:48 PM

Apr 2015
They have made anime adaptations of Finnish books so yeah we're represented. Nature looks pretty on point every time (maybe because tourists), but goddamn nippon peeps stop wearing towel in sauna. And why the fuck you would add surströmming to karjalanpiirakka, that's nasty stay away from me.

Only offense I take is Hetalia's Finland, we ain't motherfucking nice. We drink alcohol to drown our sorrow, swear on TV, beat and kill each other while queuing some grill food, don't talk and we ain't friends with a Swede. That's the correct stereotype.

R-kioski was nice surprise, I have to admit.
Nov 13, 2017 10:32 PM

Dec 2015
Never seen Belgium in anime but Flanders no Inu is in my PTW list so that's going to change soon.
Nov 13, 2017 10:33 PM

Jul 2012
South Korea engages in making high quality anime such as Golden Batman, Golden iron Man, Super Kid, Diatron 5, etc.

So I think my country is well represented.
Nov 14, 2017 1:26 AM

Oct 2010
The twin vampire killers from Black Lagoon were romanian, Alucard from Hellsing is the immortal vampire Dracula who apparently fought the turks as the king of Wallachia. So all romanians are vampires which is pretty accurate.
Nov 14, 2017 2:16 AM
Jul 2017
Hetalia... it exists.

But most would want to forget that. This is coming from someone who has seen Hetalia this year.

Anyway, I haven't seen an anime with Filipino characters yet, but I have heard that they exist. I don't really care much about cultural representation in anime since Japan is culturally a closed country anyway. What I do wanna see is a Japanese seiyuu speaking in perfect English. I don't mind Engrish but perfect English from a Japanese speaking character would be a wonderful treat.
Nov 14, 2017 2:55 AM

Feb 2010
I only really saw my country represented in Hetalia and there it's more like our country 100 years ago and it was a parody. It had nothing to do with our country right now and mostly parodied the monarchy times.

And I believe in Nodame Cantabile there was one episode where they were in Vienna and everything looked pretty nice and authentic as far as I remember.

And that's literally it in almost 4k anime that I've seen.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 14, 2017 3:00 AM

Nov 2012
Puerto Rico doesn't even appear in anime, ever. Welp.
Nov 14, 2017 3:05 AM

Feb 2013
Catalano said:
The twin vampire killers from Black Lagoon were romanian, Alucard from Hellsing is the immortal vampire Dracula who apparently fought the turks as the king of Wallachia. So all romanians are vampires which is pretty accurate.
there is also this gem from LOGH

https://myanimelist.net/character/112351/Marinescu?q=marinescu

edit: and this though it's not particularly romanian other than the name
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32790/Urm%C4%83_Zanzou
romagiaNov 14, 2017 3:49 AM
Nov 14, 2017 3:11 AM

Nov 2016
For Indonesia
i forgot which episode of Chunibyou bla bla bla
it showing about Jakarta (our capital city) traffic jam
Gino99Nov 14, 2017 3:23 AM

Nov 14, 2017 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
Aside from one of the main characters in Hetalia that is a walking stereotype, i don't know any other one.

Nov 14, 2017 10:26 AM

Nov 2017
Well as a german - the Nazi thing hits it sometimes lmfao j.k.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Nov 14, 2017 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
Canada - pretty much just ice, snow and cold.
Nothing much about the people in there
Nov 14, 2017 10:33 AM
May 2017
Russia is appears fairly frequently. Russian characters are even more common, and range from ridiculous stereotypes (The Russian Terror and Elena/Lesya in World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman) to really good characters (Andrei Sergeivich Kalinin in Full Metal Panic). by far the best depiction of Russia that I've seen in anime was in Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor, in the first few episodes. they're set in Validvostok and its freaking photorealistic. police uniforms and firearms, cars, telephone poles, buildings - it all looked like it does in real life.
Switzerland I can only recall being quickly referenced in Grisaia, with a photorealistic shot set in a place that really exists and where I pass frequently.
Nov 14, 2017 10:38 AM

Feb 2016
I saw Slovakian flag in Yuri on Ice and i was heck happy!
Nov 14, 2017 10:43 AM

Dec 2015
[Deutsches Kaiserreich Intensifies]
Nov 14, 2017 10:49 AM
Feb 2015
I personally don't get triggered by any stereotypes about Britain in anime. I'm fine with us Brits being perceived as elite and nasty individuals. They're not wrong in my case :P
Nov 14, 2017 10:55 AM

Jun 2017
I'm satisfied, this is actually exactly how I pictured myself my country.

There is also this season of Nodame cantabile taking place in Paris.
Nov 14, 2017 11:00 AM

Nov 2015
I'm also from the free land of the maple. I don't see Canada mentioned a lot, but the representation of Canada in Hetalia is pretty amusing.

They made that anime ad for Canada just a little while ago, and while I thought it was cute and nice, not ALL of Canada is a snowy wonderland.
Nov 14, 2017 11:09 AM

Jun 2017
Meryeme-Mery said:
Never seen Morocco in anime not even hetalia, maybe once referenced but i don't remember the anime

you probably didn't see Cowboy Bebop Movie
Nov 14, 2017 11:14 AM

Dec 2013
I didn't see any anime that represents UK so I have no idea.
RiaTheGamerWeebJun 4, 2022 1:46 AM
Nov 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Jan 2016
Welp I'm kinda impressed with Philippine representation in the shows I've watched. I'm no national pride kind of guy but I can't help but be kinda giddy. Most obvious here is Emiya Kiritsugu's childhood. The place isn't identified but the setting is clearly a Philippine village. There's also something in the Grisiaia Phantom Trigger vn series(which will become anime anyways) where the setting of an illegal gun manufacturer is Philippines. Danao City to be specific although again it's not specified, it is hinted at and a few research here and there pointed me to the city. Aside from that there isn't really anything major representation of my country.
Nov 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Jul 2015
Yeah, the USA has rarely been ragged on in any anime series, or rarely mentioned most of the time anyway. Many anime series are harder on Japan than any other country, I guess because of the familiarity with the government, culture, etc. anyway.
Nov 14, 2017 12:26 PM

Apr 2016
Omar_Hach said:
Meryeme-Mery said:
Never seen Morocco in anime not even hetalia, maybe once referenced but i don't remember the anime

you probably didn't see Cowboy Bebop Movie
yeah i didn't see it but i'm planning to, one day, anyway i'm excited to see how it's portrayed.
Nov 14, 2017 12:57 PM

Aug 2015
Well there are a few anime/manga based around greek mythology if that counts
But I dont think there is any anime in modern day Greece
Nov 14, 2017 12:59 PM

Oct 2017
pgmhecateii said:
Yup, the Americans in anime use great Engrish.

yup, but the way they draw the eyes is hilarious. either weve got huge round eyes that never close or weve got japan level of squinting while jap characters look like brock from pokemon. surely there exists a comfy mid-ground that wouldnt be such a pain to draw?
Nov 14, 2017 1:14 PM

Nov 2016
I Don't Remember any Reference to Mexico in Anime. If Someone has seen any link me to them I Want to see tham.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2017 2:12 PM

Jan 2016
I don't know if Canada is in much at all the only one I personally know it's in is Hetalia (which I haven't seen really I should check it out).

So I can't really say for sure I know in one I have seen they have mentioned Canada but that was it so I really can't say.

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Nov 14, 2017 2:15 PM

Aug 2013
Some shows hint anti-American sentiment, but it's not like it's unreasonable and people have the right to express their opinions, so I'm okay with it. And the Engrish is mildly entertaining, as well as the way faces are drawn (but that makes sense, too, since it makes foreigners easier to distinguish).
Nov 14, 2017 2:17 PM

Aug 2009
Hrybami said:

Never really cared if my country was represented in a anime. Anime are japanese cartoons.So it makes sense that anime would not focus on countries outside of Japan.I think that Japanese people who are fans of some American cartoons don't really care if Japan is represented or not in those American cartoons.
Nov 14, 2017 2:22 PM
Dec 2016
Hard to say, never seen anything about Poland in anime.
Nov 14, 2017 3:20 PM

Apr 2017
it's a very mixed bag
There are some shows that portray my country in a very positive light while others are very disrespectful.
That's not necessarily bad though. What I don't like are the American characters portrayed as weebs because it is rude without actually adding to the comedy in any meaningful way.

A cultural gap can be really funny or endearing. A few examples of American characters I liked in anime include:
all the characters in Baccano! https://myanimelist.net/anime/2251/Baccano
Jason Ozuma from Hajime no Ippo https://myanimelist.net/character/21752/Jason_Ozuma

What's not funny is when it gets cringey.
We're not all loud blondes or bulky black people
Nov 14, 2017 3:26 PM

Apr 2016
I'm satisfied and amazed that Philippines has Charlotte but that's about it.

Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Nov 14, 2017 5:37 PM

Mar 2013
Well the only references I can think of at the moment are England from Hetalia, and the whole of Black Butler is set in Victorian England. Black Butler is historically accurate for the most part, except for the reapers. And a lot of the jokes about England in Hetalia are pretty common stereotypes. That is the whole point of the anime after all.

Personally, I wouldn't really care. It's only anime after all.
Nov 14, 2017 6:38 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
My country is never representd in anime and I prefer it to stay that way.
Nov 14, 2017 6:47 PM

Apr 2017
Considering how Indonesia treats anime...
Guess its just fine we don't got any mention, we deserved it.

But i forgot one title that mentions Jakarta. I do remember that quote, just the title.
Life isn't as fun and easy as anime.
Watch anime to bring that fun!!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 6+ Rating or Higher Anime that you don't remember

JaaShooUhh - 9 hours ago

4 by Mayahuel »»
51 seconds ago

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

33 by ZXEAN »»
4 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
53 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

10 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - Jun 13

18 by APolygons2 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.