Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Scum's Wish
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 30, 2017 4:39 PM

May 2015
And there goes AOTS, with both Hanabi and Mugi deciding to find true love. I can say that I feel satisfied. A fantastic finale I'd say.

In my opinion, a great adaptation. They managed to adapt the whole manga in these 12 episodes without the story feeling rushed or anything. Great OST, animation, art and visuals as well. I'm really going to miss it. I couldn't ask for anything more. It's been a great ride.

10/10.
ReverberateMar 30, 2017 4:43 PM

Mar 30, 2017 4:40 PM

Jan 2017
I liked the ending. Didn't do what I expected it to do, and didn't end with anything sappy or pathetic. This anime really did put a cookie-cutter romance into a completely different perspective, and I love the originality of that.
Mar 30, 2017 4:45 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic series with a great ending! I thought this anime was going to be completely predictable but I'm glad I was wrong! They'll definitely find love again ;D
Mar 30, 2017 4:55 PM

Sep 2015
Really good episode, one of my favorites. Plenty of Hanabi to boot.
Kinda of sad about the ending but happy at the same time. It is pretty bitter-sweet. But I Guess it make sense hwy they wouldn't be together.
Nice ending overall. At least she's friends with Ecchan again.
Mar 30, 2017 5:00 PM

Feb 2009
This was the ending i was wishing for, although I wouldn't mind if Hanabi and Mugi ended up together, I felt that this was the most realistic approach. Man im at a loss for words, they were so mature at the end by realizing that the best path was to look into the future and take their time living normally and waiting for another love to come naturally, showing us viewers how tough love is, specially the first one and also how time heals everything.
Couldn't really ask for more, this ending satisfied me so much and me realize that I will miss this series for all the great moments it had, soundtrack, visuals, and all the journey itself, I really think that this was a breath of fresh air and I hope we can have more anime in the upcoming future of this kind, more mature and vibrant!
Mar 30, 2017 5:01 PM

Mar 2015
Beautiful romance anime, we need more like these and WA2 instead of the same old cliché'd predictable ones

The artwork was very aesthetically pleasing, the music fit very nicely and it had a great OP and ED. Easily best of Winter.
Mar 30, 2017 5:05 PM

Nov 2014
Yeah, things became too awkward between Hanabi and Mugi for a meaningful relationship to work out. I was shipping Hanabi and Ecchan, anyway. It was a reasonable ending. The flashbacks made the story a little hard to follow; it took some effort to keep up with the timelines. Overall, great series.

Episode: 4/5
Series: 8/10
Mar 30, 2017 5:07 PM

Oct 2012
Wow, just wow! They really didn't give in to obvious cliche and went with the best ending for this series. And the most realistic too.

Was bit afraid they would force Mugi and Hanabi ogether but it's a lot more natural this way and Hanabi also got her possible future love interest, good for her! Even Ecchan and Noriko got their endings and everything was wrapped very nicely. And Mugi deserved this end too.

Noitamina, I applaud you, this was maybe the best romantic and also down to earth series I've seen in many years. There were some minor setbacks (such as Noriko's bad VA or bit rushed previous episode) but as a whole this was almost a masterpiece, everything, the story, dialogues, animation, music, OP, ED(!!!), great seiyuu (for Anzai Chika this was lifechanger) or close to flawless direction just worked so well together and mature themes unlikle most of other anime were explored in very natural way.

I enjoyed almost every part of this anime and was always intrigued what happens next. And now I can also say it also concluded in the best way possible. This goes instantly to my best top anime series' category and I already looking forward to seeing it again sometimes.

9/10
Mar 30, 2017 5:08 PM
Jun 2016
Hanabi and Mugi :'( Its too sad the only who go the happy end were Akane and Sensei. Don't expect some Beauty and the Beast story here. Anyways, the ending was fitting and there could still be hope for them.
Mariecat1Mar 30, 2017 5:13 PM
Mar 30, 2017 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
Idk how to feel about this one...It would make sense if they didn't end up in the ending but they fucking connected man. For once they communicated through words and there was mutual understanding , no sexual impulses involved for once. Plus it teased you a shit ton with wtf the ending will be , is he waiting for her or someone else? God idk it felt weird and rushed. Also those last words * -I don't want to--
-be apart.
-I don't want to let go anymore
-I want to hold you.
-I don't want things to end
-Don't let me go.
-I don't want it to end.
-But goodbye.
It stung pretty hard and it took a while to go away.*
Why throw all that away?
I feel everybody is blinded by the fact it wasn't a cliche ending...
Characters falling out of character and an ending that makes no sense...Why bond and connect in the end just to blow it off and walk away from it? It didn't feel or seem romantic just non-sensical

8/10 for me sadly :/
KiraShitpostKageMar 30, 2017 5:20 PM
Mar 30, 2017 5:31 PM

Nov 2013
Perfevt ending only marred by the rushed nature of the events preceding it, honestly if the mangala had taken her time and not tried to match the mangals ending with the anime(an assumption) this would be an 11/10 anime. I'm looking forward to her next work and some media that will give us more of the aftermath of Kuzu no Honkai.
It';dr from 10 to 9 due to the rushed nature of events before the ending. Perfect ending though.
Mar 30, 2017 6:09 PM
Sep 2016
I really enjoyed although the story was very gut wretching. In my opinion it should be up for anime of the year, drama, and I especially loved the ending, it pretty much summed up the entire story.
Mar 30, 2017 6:15 PM

Jun 2014
Perfect ending to this! I'm glad that Hanabi and Mugi didn't end up together. Also, loved that all the other characters got some closure to their feelings also.

This anime definitely showed the various sides of love and also that no matter how much you love some one nothing is guaranteed!

The character development was amazing, the OST was spectacular, and the story was definitely not your typical romance. Definitely in my top 3 this season!

Overall 9/10!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Mar 30, 2017 6:27 PM
Dec 2011
So Hanabi remains a virgin in the end
Mar 30, 2017 6:28 PM

Aug 2013
I'm glad that they didn't force Hanabi and Mugi to be together. It is nice to see how much the scums changed at the end compared to the beginning of the series.

Overall:
Interesting plot, although the surprises went away around half way through the series.
Amazing OP and ED.
One of the rare cases that the ending didn't disappoint me.

6.5/10
Mar 30, 2017 6:31 PM

Jan 2011
funny this turned out to be one of the better episodes would of shit on it if those two ended up together ,nor did i feel bad for either them especially Mugi

Akane truly was the only one winning in the end the bitch won

7/10 this really just feel like a very long NTR doujin despite it being a twist on the typical romance stuff we been getting for so long.

10/10 for the animation was so pretty even if they over used the little panel cuts
Mar 30, 2017 6:34 PM

Aug 2015
All I want is a side story with the guy that wanted to go out with Hanabi
Mar 30, 2017 6:37 PM
Jul 2015
This is series is really good in terms of direction music and art. I like the central theme of it and I will give it solid 9/10....Can't think of why people hating it
Mar 30, 2017 6:53 PM

Nov 2016
This Anime Failed at many points for me, But that Ending is Splendid and meaningful.
Also soundtrack is ultimate, and I guess it has even some influence on feelings for the anime.
PynchMar 31, 2017 4:16 PM
Mar 30, 2017 7:00 PM

Oct 2013
pao13071 said:
Idk how to feel about this one...It would make sense if they didn't end up in the ending but they fucking connected man. For once they communicated through words and there was mutual understanding , no sexual impulses involved for once. Plus it teased you a shit ton with wtf the ending will be , is he waiting for her or someone else? God idk it felt weird and rushed. Also those last words * -I don't want to--
-be apart.
-I don't want to let go anymore
-I want to hold you.
-I don't want things to end
-Don't let me go.
-I don't want it to end.
-But goodbye.
It stung pretty hard and it took a while to go away.*
Why throw all that away?
I feel everybody is blinded by the fact it wasn't a cliche ending...
Characters falling out of character and an ending that makes no sense...Why bond and connect in the end just to blow it off and walk away from it? It didn't feel or seem romantic just non-sensical

8/10 for me sadly :/

They were prepared to start a relationship after they got rejected but Mugi took his sweet time having fun with Akane and then there's the time that he needed to get over it ~ that being expected. From the end of summer vacation 'till november...that's more than enough to loose the momentum they both had to commit to each other. Mugi prolly felt guilty(rightfully so tbh) and Hanabi can't have been all too hyped about a relationship after Mugi tried having a go with Akane for a few months ~ she'd basically feel like a consolation prize if they'd go out now. This outcome was the best for them, at least for now.

Mugi's prolly gonna have some fun with that blonde senpai chick to chill though so wouldn't worry too much about him. Hanabi's gonna have it harder though, and will have to find ways to take her mind of things on her own ~ girl's gonna need some serious mental fortitude.

Now of course, if it was someone like Akane in her place, she'd prolly go out with Mugi then & there despite all that.
Mar 30, 2017 7:03 PM

Mar 2008
Man, Moca ended up a total bad ass. The most mature character in the series.

Well, the series was a breath of fresh air in a medium full of clichéd romances. I can count on my hands the ones that actually aren't like that or that at least do something different on top of the cliché.

True, it overdid the sex a little (specially with Ecchan being so forceful), but it was almost like it was making a statement about how the rest of the series doesn't show it.

Yes, it was overly dramatic, but it's a way to engage the viewers and finding the right quantity of drama is too hard. They went a little over it, but they didn't get to the point of overdoing it.

Also, they overdid Akane as well. She was too much of a calculating bitch and her redemption story was kinda clichéd as well (though not one common in anime).

And Kanai lacked personality right through the end. And we almost don't see things thorugh his eyes. They could've given him more depth.

I really like that everyone actually changed in the series. In the end it was about people with disfunctional views on love and self esteem and how they got thorugh that, or at least started the process.
Mar 30, 2017 7:03 PM

Jun 2015
In the end, Hanabi and Mugi didn't end up together. They're okay with that. This was a decent show. Not too amazing. 6/10
Mar 30, 2017 7:05 PM

Jul 2008
smooth ending i did see it coming no hanabi x mugi ending up. 9/10
Mar 30, 2017 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
Down to Earth ending. Worked out for the best.
Mar 30, 2017 7:11 PM

Sep 2013
A bittersweet ending. A perfect way to end it.
This anime is pure gold. 9/10
Mar 30, 2017 7:12 PM

Jul 2016
It would have been better if they didn't fill half the episode with preparations for the school festival; that part was pointless filler and could have easily been skipped or shortened, imo.

I don't know, I kinda expected more from the final episode, but it was a decent episode nontheless.
I guess Hanabi and Mugi are not ready for a serious relationship yet, but the way they parted ways, it felt a bit sad..especially with Hanabi crying at the end :/
This might hint at a second season, tbh.

Anyway, Scum's Wish has been one of the better shows from the winter season, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy it.

8/10

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Mar 30, 2017 7:17 PM

Jul 2014
I'm glad that Hanabi and Mugi didn't end up together, is different and on point with the series.

I liked Akane's ending but I didn't liked how all was solved in a single episode

Art and music were absolutely beautiful.

Overall it was a very entertainining ride to me but sadly it felt a bit rushed in the end.
Mar 30, 2017 7:21 PM
Dec 2015
The ending here was incredibly powerful and the ultimate message about the nature of love is insanely relatable. My only problem is that Hanabi's voice actress failed to deliver during her comedic moments, but everything else was great, from the detailed drawings that displayed the characters finally being free of the weight of their loves, to the brilliant visual storytelling that litters the whole series to inform us of the characters thoughts and feelings. Absolutely beautiful.

Overall, one of the most refreshing and best romances I've seen. 8/10 and I may consider a 9 if this sticks in my mind a while, which it most certainly might.
Mar 30, 2017 7:24 PM

May 2009
One of most interesting shows this season. It wasn't what I expected, but still good. Irritating, anxious, and lovely at times.
The very end was vanilla, unexpectedly, but a realistic end. They all grow as people, and continue the pursuit which every human out there faces.
I don't think there will be another season, or a need for another one, because the author said what they wanted to say. I might be wrong, didn't read the manga.
Akane is still a bitch. Onii chan is still a cuck. Mugi was immature. Hanabi didn't go for what she wanted. I still liked Mugi x Hanabi. I do feel like Onii chan isn't as stupid as ppl think... who knows.

I liked the idea of this show at beginning, but then every character in the show turned out to be like the protagonists. Protagonists don't feel as interesting if everyone is twisted... But this is a problem with many shows. The author has only one perspective or projects same types of characters.

Overall 8/10
Mar 30, 2017 7:34 PM

Sep 2011
ExoticBankai said:
Is the manga ending the same ?

The last chapter is not out yet. It comes out on Crunchyroll's manga site on Monday.
Mar 30, 2017 7:39 PM

May 2015
I know they went with the realistic approach but I'm still sad that the mc didn't get a "happy ending". Like the main antagonist got her prince and this two kids just suffer through the entire series.
I like that they went full yuri for once and that we got straight/bi/gay characters. It was refreshing to see more representation and not just hints or ecchi.
This is how life works but still... bittersweet ending.
Mar 30, 2017 7:46 PM

May 2016
My only problem with Kuzu no Honkai was Kanai sensei in episode 11. I know love just don't go away even when you discover the evil truths about the person you love, but to not even bat an eye? I mean, I would've understand if his plan was to change her along the way, but that was not what was implied. He just really didn't care.
-1 point for that.

I also want to subtract another point out of frustration that Hanabi and Mugi did not end together, but that would be petty I guess.

6/10, I enjoyed what I got but I don't think I will care about it for too long.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 30, 2017 7:46 PM
Dec 2016
Now I just want a non-canon OVA of Hanabi x Kanai.
Mar 30, 2017 7:54 PM

Jun 2013
Oh man, that was a good ending. I honestly wasn't expecting it, but it certainly fits better than them getting together.

Good show, mates.
Mar 30, 2017 7:54 PM

Mar 2013
I'll be honest. I'm that guy who was hoping for a dark & gloomy ending
Mar 30, 2017 7:57 PM

May 2014
Naturally, my inner romantic wanted a Hanabi x Mugi endgame but that really wouldn't have fit now, would it?

Having them end up together would kill the whole point of the series- which to me was about loneliness and self-loathing as well as the flip sides of self-acceptance and recognizing that being alone does not necessarily equate to being lonely.

In the end, the main cast are trying to change...we're not sure if they will, but they're trying.

Sanae cut her hair (looks awesome btw)- well it kinda looked like Atsuya cut it...implying she may well have given him a chance, or is at the very least moving on from Hanabi. Moca has become independent in her own right, finding a balance between her cutesy and her "real" selves.

Akane is trying to see if her love is simply an illusion or if it's something tangible; in her own way she even attempts to make amends with Hanabi. Plus there's Kanai, who is moving away from babying Hana.

Finally, we have Hanabi and Mugi who clearly feel the same way. For the first time, they actually talk about things and share their true feelings which may not necessarily be romantic or even sexual in nature (surprisingly enough).
I think by the end, they both understood the dangerous and toxic consequences of entering into any type of serious relationship on the basis of need and desperation.

It doesn't work because you can't consolidate an identity solely through another person.

Perhaps they did genuinely fall for each other along the way, perhaps not. Ultimately, I don't think either of them knew the answer which is why they broke it off. It would be too easy to claim comfort from one another and slip back into their old, destructive ways...they're just not ready for a relationship yet.

Maybe in the future, when they've grown as people it could work out.
So pretty open ended, just like real life relationships really....things just don't get tied into a neat little ribbon of happiness and splendor.

God,I'm so happy this anime exists. It's been a joy to tune into every week not knowing what to expect!! Best conclusion that could 've happened though. Neither uncharacteristically happy nor overly bleak...just very down to earth.

Well imma stop ranting now lol 😂
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2017 8:01 PM
Aug 2014
And there goes my softcore hentai of the season.

In all seriousness I am glad they didn't force pair Mugi and Hana together. Instead they both accepted their time together as a learning experience and to move forward. OP and ED were great, not only was it audible Japanese singing, but the animation and lyrics fit the theme of the anime. 8.5/10
Mar 30, 2017 8:09 PM

Sep 2014
Hanabi <3

I love this anime's art style and soundtrack.
Mar 30, 2017 8:11 PM

Oct 2015
rofl I love the ending, it funny to see all the reviews hating just bz Hanabi and Mugi doesn't end up together. They just aren't meant to be sadly. Was a good show for sure.
Mar 30, 2017 8:14 PM

Nov 2014
People say that Mugi and Hanabi not being together was a good thing -- okay, honestly it's not world shattering to me but people suggesting that those who liked the pairing didn't "get the series" is a bit silly.

Mugi and Hanabi were both hung up on someone else. Their relationship wasn't really toxic (I would say the Ecchan one was pretty toxic though), it just lacked a proper emotional connection. When they decided they had enough and were considering getting into a real relationship with real feelings after confessing and being rejected by their crushes, it seemed like a good start. After all there were signs that they had legitimate feelings budding underneath it all. Had the shoe been on the other foot and Onii-chan accepted Hanabi, she would have jumped onto it to just like Mugi did and no one could fault her for it. I mean they confessed with the intention on being rejected, but would not turn down a yes.

Love is rife with ups and downs. Breakups and resets. The almost perfect climb you see in most anime is rarely the reality, and this anime (and manga) do a good job illustrating that all love is not perfect or pure.

That said, Mugi and Hanabi could have gotten together after Mugi had some healing time to process what happened with Akane. There's nothing to suggest after both having properly moved on from their past that there would be any toxicity in their new budding relationship.

The bit where Ecchan yet again gets in the way of Hanabi and another person irritated me, whether she said she was joking or not. Hanabi may not have been in a place to accept the confession that was coming, but as you can see she welcomed it. Ecchan didn't need to get involved.

All in all, I'm not disappointed by this ending. I admittedly would have loved to see a functional example of Mugi and Hanabi but alas. Childhood romances rarely take off anyway. They'll no doubt both find someone worthy of them as adults.
Mar 30, 2017 8:21 PM
Nov 2015
Finally this dumb edgy shit that only have one character with personality ended,now Netsuzou no Trap will show how to make a twisted love story without making 5 characters into unidimensional morons that only exist to love other moron
Mar 30, 2017 8:23 PM

Aug 2015
Hanabi and Mugi couldn't have been together. Those two acted as safety cushions for each other, just someone to make them feel good and reassured. Them not being together is a symbol of them taking the road of mature development. It may be painful to move on from a tragedy, but people need to learn to accept misfortune and move forward, not just retreat into a safe space by relying on someone else. Mugi and Hanabi might have genuinely loved each other by the end, but they only serve to remind each other of their most pathetic moments and will hinder each other's independence moving forward. Bittersweet and sad endings aren't much of a thing in Western storytelling, so I can understand why some people can't stomach them not being together. If you have a problem with how it ended, just imagine how much the characters learned through their experiences in the show and how much better off they'll be in the future because of it.
Mar 30, 2017 8:24 PM

Aug 2016
That was terrible, the only thing that saved me from hating it was them deciding not to be together... Waste of time, predictable and not memorable at all...
Mar 30, 2017 8:33 PM

Aug 2009
So basically, I haven't posted at this site for years and decided hey, one of the best anime this season had ended so here I am.

By the way, MAL's reviews have been really malicious as of late. Especially for Kuzu No Honkai. Did all the sophisticated reviewers not understand the point of this show?

Anyway,

That was an unexpectedly good ending. I was expecting them to end up together because it's the most appeasing thing to do to fans but nope, this ending is perfect.

Hanabi and Mugi not ending up together made a lot of sense and was the only right ending. If Mugi and her did end up together at that point, they'll go back to how things were because neither of them had moved on. Maybe a few years down the road they'll be friends again and that'll make for a good future.

People need to understand that a good ending doesn't equate to ending up with someone else, if the two of them did end up together it is actually a bad choice and they both know that. Hence that sad scene where we both hear their thoughts with the fireworks.

The two of them through this entire series were defined by love and to desperately want to be loved without realising that just maybe, personal growth(moca), the emotional connections and friendships (Ecchan) gained with others can be equally satisfying and important as love. Through Hanabi lens, we understand this. It's not always about manipulating girls/guys or having sex just to be loved. Life is more than that to fill up that emptiness in you.

This is precisely why they should not end up together because they are only now understanding that now. Ending up together again would be mutual dependence because they are still emotionally weak (and they want to be stronger hence the moving on) and they know that's not what they want. That would invalidate everything they went through, all that suffering from the first love taught them that.

About Akane, a lot of people go on about how she doesn't deserve this ending and deserve to be broken etc. But I don't think she deserve that bad of a treatment. All she wanted was an unrequited love for her and that's an irrational love that she don't understand but at the same time it is the purest.

Put yourself in her shoes for once and look through her eyes, everyone come after her for something(be it physical sex or her beauty) and she ask for their attention in return. To her it was always like an exchange, a trade-off. Is that not how love usually is though at first? You give something for someone else but you EXPECT something else in return. Almost always. Isn't that kind of sad when people can't just learn to love someone without any conditions?

What Akane really seek was not something evil or wrong, all she ever wanted was a someone to love her despite her being broken. I like to think she have indeed been suffering all this while because despite all the happy feelings people go through while in love, she was separated from those feelings until now and it did make her a rather sad person.
Mar 30, 2017 8:34 PM
Mar 2017
I saw Ecchan cut her hair but in the bonfire I saw her with long hair? At least Akane will get married to Kanai- sensei.... I see their troubled faces especially Akane and Moca in the bonfire? any explanation?
Mar 30, 2017 8:43 PM

Aug 2009
1032patrick said:
I saw Ecchan cut her hair but in the bonfire I saw her with long hair? At least Akane will get married to Kanai- sensei.... I see their troubled faces especially Akane and Moca in the bonfire? any explanation?

Ecchan cut her hair after the bonfire. The bonfire was a flashback. At that time she was still not talking to Hanabi.

Akane is troubled because that's her default bitch face, not sure about Moca.
Mar 30, 2017 8:43 PM

Nov 2011
Damn man...like the last two episodes were kind of a drag and kind of lowered the score for me, but this episode was so freaking good it boosted it up, AND MORE.
Hanabi just doing school stuff to get her mind off things was cool to see.
Seeing Moca in that wedding dress was a pretty awesome scene as well. The music during that scene was really really good.
The scene with Mugi...well we'll get to that since the juicy shit happened later.
Damn man we get another likable character and Hanabi shoots him down. Though really with the help of short haired Ecchan.
At least she had the guts to apologize to the kid...that made Hanabi a little more likable in my eyes.
blah blah blah more Ecchan stuff that I don't care about.
Akane is still a BITCH. How you gonna say "Next time don't lose him." LIKE WHAT? Bitch are you kidding me? That can even be used for both Oniichan and friggin Mugi. Come on bitch-sensei.

Alright let's get to the nitty gritty. I had a feeling Hanabi was going to walk right past Mugi at the end. But God Damn If it didn't make me feel some type of way. It makes sense that they would want to find true love but who is to say they can't find it within each other. If they get to know more about each other then just wanting to be alone then who knows!.

The scene in that storage room though was pretty damn powerful and emotional. Like even I got a little teary eyed from it.
Just both of them wanting to be with each other and holding each other...but they can't. Then they said their goodbyes during the fireworks...damn some powerful stuff.

I guess the void left in my heart is just wanting these kids to be happy and maybe try to be with each other...but yeah. This anime tested my feelings constantly which was new. 10/10 in my book.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 30, 2017 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
Strawberrycake48 said:

... Sanae cut her hair (looks awesome btw)- well it kinda looked like Atsuya cut it...
Ecchan resented Atsuya's suggestion that she "should" be an actress or model. A suggestion based on his shallow appraisal of her, an appraisal based solely on her appearance, not her personality. Atsuya came to that cram school to be with her. She attends cram school because she wants to go on to higher education after high school graduation. She is intelligent and seriously wants to enter university, not as a dating opportunity but to acquire knowledge and earn a degree. He also made comments with which he expressed doubt about her ability to think for herself and act on her own behalf.

On top of that he consistently refuses to take no for an answer and ignores whenever possible her objections to his invasions of her privacy and personal space. Touching and kissing her over explicit objections he furthermore acts indignant when she doesn't comply with his desires and proves to be serious in her refusal to let him do as he pleases with her.

Atsuya is among the characters I don't want to see dating the "object" of his desire and fortunately I was so far spared that. Of all the characters in this show he is right up there as someone I sincerely wish won't get together with Ecchan beyond the relationship they already have as portrayed by the end of the series.

As with Hanabi, with whom Ecchan herself transgressed several boundaries on questionable consent, I hope Ecchan stays on friendly terms with Atsuya and I hope Atsuya learns to accept that Sanae will never return his "romantic" feelings or "date" him. His feelings are based on a severe misunderstanding of her personality. He doesn't "know" her at all, not her personality nor her dreams or aspirations but in stead he repeatedly underestimates her. Why would you want Ecchan to date someone like that?

He nevertheless deluded himself into thinking he was doing the things he did for her best interest. Some people went so far as to ascribe altruistic motives to his selfish insertion into her life and interference in her personal affairs.
Ecchan too needs someone outside the narrow field of vision provided by someone in an unrequited love. Someone desiring you isn't enough, it is only part of the equation, you have to desire that person yourself as well ... so for the moment Ecchan too is better off on her own as far as that kind of relationship is concerned. Ecchan and Atsuya, friends without benefits and certainly not lovers, is the best way forward, as far as I'm concerned.
removed-userMar 30, 2017 9:08 PM
Mar 30, 2017 8:52 PM

Aug 2009
Well there can be two ways of seeing the ending; great or really a let down.

Great because it really depicts the affection they had for one another which resulted the ending. In deeper details, the affection they have for one another is masked by their initial 'pact'. Hence, it is controversial where their true feelings lie.

A let down because of those Hanabi x Mugi shippers who really wanted them to be together in the end. You guys have the right to feel annoyed about that, everyone has a right to feel annoyed when two characters you want to end together - especially when the relationship grew the way those two did - but at the same time this show was about the harsh reality of love, not the blossoming of it. Albeit, we got that from Akane.

So although the ending was a bit of a shock, which is not a bad thing, after some thought it was a very realistic ending related to the harsh reality of love. Debatable whether Mugi and Hanabi were mature enough to come to such a conclusion (or even any high school graduator). Well I guess we can back that up with the 'character development' throughout the 12 episodes.

All in all, 9/10, would recommend.
Mar 30, 2017 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
Thank god its over. I really disliked the series. Major animation issues in the final episode too and that was the only good point for me throughout the run was the quality.

Final episode was a slide show of stills being passed off as a montage of the school festival and even the moments when characters were on screen they barely moved, just inner monologueing the entire episode.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2017

436 by Relp1905 »»
May 11, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2017

250 by AniGreek73 »»
Feb 17, 5:46 PM

» Live Action

JSeanaY - Dec 18, 2023

5 by Asudox »»
Dec 29, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Kuzu no Honkai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2017

159 by Sanyuu »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:06 AM

» I want to watch it but I don't want to watch it.

Ronin_Sensei - Sep 13, 2023

48 by Zarutaku »»
Dec 13, 2023 2:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.