Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 28, 2016 12:46 AM

Jan 2013
Well then ... everything completely changed in 7 years. - A complete 180.
Viral saying that this new government is the same as the King had going is kinda bs, I'm pretty sure the people living aboveground are there by choice and helped make that city aswell. - Just because some people want to live underground again doesn't mean the entire city feels that way either, Simon obviously didn't have any issue with them going underground either.
Rossiu should know his roots aswell, the effects of his own little village he belonged to.

So the moon is a satellite ... wonder how many "Spiral" people are residing in there.

Yoko unfortunately hasn't been doing anything at all in the show apart from the start, I really like her but she needs some more memorable moments / more influence.
Apr 3, 2017 11:10 PM

Aug 2014
Time skip eh? Quite nice to see an adult Simon.
Apr 30, 2017 5:19 PM

Sep 2016
Great, I can't stop hearing Natsu now

君の胸に触れていいですか

:>

May 13, 2017 1:42 AM

Dec 2016
Wow 7 year time skip, people have grown up and now there is a huge city.

Unfortunately the politics is taking over and all I can see is internal strife happening now and in the future.

Pretty cool seeing Simon propose to Nia.

Wipe out the humans, so now we know a little bit about they next enemy and what to expect.
Jun 9, 2017 12:25 AM

May 2016
One of the Black Siblings had a baby and Nia got engaged to Simon. A lot of romance is in the air it seems...then everything went downhill the moment the population reached a million.

Rossiu's disposed of the Gunmen and looks like he'll stage a coup any second now... Viral ain't as bad as he was back then too. I wonder how they'll get over this.

Jun 24, 2017 3:18 PM

Nov 2016
Wow, wasn't expecting a time skip, but I'm taking it gladly.

Good episode, a lot of things changed and it got very interesting to the end.

Still missing Kamina, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 4, 2017 7:15 PM

Jan 2015
NOW I'm enjoying watching this show
Nov 15, 2017 4:10 AM

Nov 2016
So far I'm liking it. I just hope they keep with this version of Simon and that he won't change too much into Kamina. I really couldn't like Kamina.

It's a shame that Nia is the new baddie.. I loved her too. Hopefully she will go back to her normal self soon.
Jan 23, 2018 10:58 AM

Dec 2009
Trigger never fails to hype. Second arc seems bigger in scale than the first. Time to fight the moon
Apr 16, 2018 1:32 PM

Jan 2015
Wow, a timeskip.
I really like Simon after 7 years.
I feel like I won't like this as I liked first cour.
May 2, 2018 1:28 PM

Dec 2014
ok seriously I hate Russio being all cocky like that... the guy is getting more and more annoying and on my nerves...don't know about the time skip though
Sep 12, 2018 4:31 PM
Dec 2014
Humanity growing that fast makes no sens.
Nov 17, 2018 10:16 AM

Apr 2018
Amazing episode once again.
They all changed so much over the years...
I hope Nia's going to be alright!!!
Apr 21, 2019 12:22 AM

Feb 2017
Big change of pace and tone. Felt like more story development in the first half of the episode than half of the last arc.
May 26, 2019 8:35 AM

Jul 2016
What happened to Yoko?
Jun 6, 2019 8:23 PM

Mar 2016
Looks like Simon couldn't protect a damn thing

Also, I really like the designs of the Grapearls. And older Darry is cute.
syncrogazerJun 6, 2019 8:28 PM
Jul 19, 2019 8:32 AM

Aug 2017
Now that was a huge change of pacing. Suspected something about Nia from the start, things just could've been alright with her.

Everyone is different. Rossiu is some arrogant government official with authoritarian tendencies now. political_power_corrupts_everyone.jpg
May 20, 2020 9:21 PM
May 2020
I wish we could get rid of Nia altogether, but that isn't going to happen...

Seriously, people just like her for the "Moe" factor, but she is an annoying Mary Sue ... since her introduction popping out of nowhere (why was she even left alive inside the box if she was discarded?), then being better than Yoko at everything instantly while also being oh-so-humble-and-nice, being miss righteousness with the enemies which for some reason don't kill her instantly even when ordered to do so... then Yoko becomes third rate.

And Nia doesn't even have any value as a teammember other than providing """cuteness""" (which to my taste she doesn't due to her freaky pupils... seriously, think about how looking at that would be in real life. Like "goat eyes" level of creepyness squared).

She doesn't even pilot a Mecha and just instantly acts as Simon's maid without even knowing him... total one dimensional character. "Instant submissive girlfriend in a box, just add drill key!"... Yoko was much more interesting and her development got stunted because of Nia.

Really, the introduction of Nia for replacing both Kamina and Yoko in "leading role" along Simon was a big downgrade for the series and one of the big factors why the second part of the first arc feels so underwhelming compared to the inspiring feeling and tension of the first.

Being a sort of bio-weapon doesn't make her more interesting (Rei ripoff down to being on the side of the "angels" that come from space) but at least she's out of the way of story development with her "moe" behaviour as "emotional support pet". As a bonus the creepy pupils are much less noticeable now in the evil side, so I find the bio-weapon version of her *less* creepy than the normal version, and with better sense of style as well ;). Being an anti-spiral is another reason Yoko should have shot her in the head when she had the chance :V

Anyways, the new arc definitely seems better than Mia-land of the second part of the first arc. Nice political intrigue and nice soviet-like uniforms. Sort of showing how they were a revolution, now becoming government. Even wish we had more time for worldbuilding before the fight begins. But shonen's gonna shonen :V

As an aside, seems quite weird seeing Viral "on the side of humanity" and lecturing people on morality and freedom. After all, wasn't he a self-proclaimed Commander of the *Human Extermination Forces*?

Also, when I saw Simon in the kamina-like clothes in the preview and due to the end of first arc, I was worried he was going to become Kamina II but glad that didn't come to pass (yet...) - Don't get me wrong, I love Kamina but it doesn't suit Simon to be like him; so it was a relief he is still his poshover own self. Another clothes change impending per the preview so I hope it doesn't turn that way either.
Fighter66May 21, 2020 10:47 AM
Aug 7, 2020 7:55 AM

Feb 2019
Incredible, the rag-tag bunch now makes a government with Simon as Mr. President

Nia is alien's weapon apparently, some kind of automatic system that keeps the human population in check.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Aug 29, 2020 2:38 AM
Jul 2019
Time Skip! Everybody looks great and humanity has evolved so far. Despite having future technology, they sure don't know primitive ones like a trial.

Rossiu became a dick with power. The Gunmen are gone and have been replaced by beta Grapearls, I don't like it one bit.

But great news! Yoko x Simon has officially sunk and Nia x Simon is sailing beautifully. After episode 8, nothing really happened between the two of them, except during that battle in the air. Whereas Nia and Simon had so many moments after she debuted and who knows what they did during those seven years.

I never expected that to be taken literally. I thought it was just a figure of speech that means overpopulation or the population growing rapidly. And they literally appeared out of nowhere. New enemy, excited for the fights.

small44 said:
Humanity growing that fast makes no sens.

Yeah man. Earth grew from 5 billion people to 7 billion people during the 80s - 2020. Totally doesn't make sense.
Sep 16, 2020 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
Supreme Commander of Earth Simon.

Humanity advancing so far in the span of 7 years goes hand-in-hand with the theme of spiral power; rapid evolution, there's also the possibly they're advancing so fast because the are reverse-engineering the beastmen tech and other advanced buried technologies, including the gunmen themselves,

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 24, 2020 4:26 AM

Apr 2015
TTGL is basically an exaggeration of everything you can find in anime, so it reaps the benefits of the cool parts twice as much as other shows.

That mechanism works the other way around though, and here you can see the epitome of contrived conflict- which naturally hits the show many times more than others.
Nov 18, 2020 4:45 AM
Jul 2019
people probably gonna hate me for this but i never liked rossiu ever since the episode he was introduced, mf is annoying asf sometimes
Dec 24, 2020 12:56 PM
Oct 2019
Rossiu's never been a great character, but he's progressively gotten worse, to the point now where he's beyond unbearable. Just awful to have to endure his presence on screen. Power has corrupted him. He's become the very thing Team Dai Gurren fought against. He trying to usurp the commander?

The rest of the guys at that leadership council table meeting thing are all pretty useless, too.

Seems like spirals and those geometric shapes (anti-spirals) are at war with each other? Maybe some intergalactic war that's been raging for millennia, which is possibly what we saw in the first scene in episode one?

I wonder how that happened to Nia? Something to do with her being a "princess"?
Dec 28, 2020 8:30 PM

May 2020
Lmao they grew up so fast. I don't want Nia to become bad:(
May 6, 2021 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
Really struggling to find the will to continue this.
Pre timeskip ended fine, but overall was just dull monster of the week and I didn't like it at all. Now in post timeskip it looks to be the same, but the enemies are stronger so its better now? Idk.
Still waiting for Simon to become a top tier mc, that is unless I drop it soon which is a big possibility.
Jun 30, 2021 5:31 PM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
Amazing first episode after the timeskip. Seeing them grown up and evolved after making this far is so impactful. As well as the renewed opening with new lyrics that reflects the change, it was powerful. The design of the city looks amazing, even if don't understand how they could have made this progress in only 7 years, this new scenario gave a new appeal to the series. Great, this is how you start a new arc!
Thrasher96Jul 1, 2021 7:34 AM
Dec 15, 2021 11:07 AM

Oct 2020
Man I hate time-skips in shows like this, idk but I find them depressing. The characters are getting older and they are not the same anymore, they are distancing themselves from other characters :(

I know that these thing must and will happen eventually but it is still a bit depressing (for me atleast)

In this anime, after timeskip it seems like Rossiu became a dick, Yoko went away and did her own thing, Kittan and the other members seem a bit "dry" now(?), Simon finally went and proposed to Nia but that all changed when the population hit one million :'(

I really hope Nia doesn't turn into a major enemy or something, I really love her.

I was really happy to see those two kids also becoming fighters, that was cute. And on a side note, the new OP is nice but preferred the previous one (ik it's the same song but still) but it terms of visuals this is much better. The ED tho I like more than the previous one. Overall it was an amazing episode.

4/5

"FALL OFF YOUR HORSE!" - Gyro Zeppeli
Dec 16, 2021 8:51 AM
Nov 2020
Simon and Nia were a couple for those 7 years but only now he proposed for get married, thats official.
Feb 6, 2022 2:30 PM

Jan 2016
What in the world?! This feels like a completely new anime. I kinda love it? I have yet to see an anime where everyone has grown so much 7 years later and it made me so happy to see it. Crazy how we started out with something simple as digging and a gunmen to what I’m assuming is gonna be even more crazy. Not sure why many are complaining about how characters seem different, well it’s because they’re more mature now.
RithicFeb 6, 2022 2:35 PM

Apr 15, 2022 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
So much had changed in 7 years, nia is a villain now. One of 4 siblings have changed and just like Rosu(whatever his name is).
And simon has matured so much, and he proposed Nia.
Excited for next episode, I'm excited where this story will go from here!
Jun 6, 2022 12:43 AM

Feb 2021
I really don't like the second half so far. It's too much of a contrast from the previous half, takes itself too seriously when this was about Fairy Tail fights two episodes ago.
And how did they build an entire developed city from the ground in 7 years?
Aug 14, 2022 5:26 PM

Apr 2018
A sudden time skip of 7 years? They managed to build a whole futuristic city with almost a million humans living it? That's pretty crazy and unbelievable at the same time.
Some of the characters stayed the same such as Simon, Nia and the main team while Rossiu and the other girl who works with him has made a 180 change. It sure made me hate them but that's probably the whole point of their character. Well, not really but you're kinda supposed to hate them but they're like that for a reason.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 2, 2023 10:35 AM

Aug 2022
It's so cool seeing everyone get older. Well excpet Rossiu. He's gotten too cocky and became a huge asshole. 
May 8, 2023 10:13 PM

Sep 2018
Ah yes, the 2000s edgelord syndrome has been activated.
There is no hope, only death and destruction and depression.

My disdain for 2000s edgy nonsense aside, this show has some serious pacing issues, it never leads up to anything, things kind of just suddenly happen, it's been this way ever since after the first few episodes. To some I guess that only increases it's "epicness" but for me it just makes things seem rushed and half assed. I mean I don't hate the show or anything, I'll even probably end up liking this second edgy arc as long as it doesn't become Blood C, but it's something that annoys me and drags the show down a bit in my opinion.

UnknownGhost5 said:
It's so cool seeing everyone get older. Well excpet Rossiu. He's gotten too cocky and became a huge asshole. 

To be honest he's only going with the values that he was taught when he was young. Being indoctrinated the way he was is a hard thing to break out of. He thinks he's doing the right thing.
KristiwazhereMay 8, 2023 11:01 PM
Aug 5, 2023 12:55 PM
Oct 2020
I wish it didn't continue
Aug 13, 2023 8:18 PM

Apr 2023
um. ok then. thats not what i expected but sure this works
Sep 1, 2023 6:55 PM

Dec 2020
I find it rare to have a time skip and continue on with the story that way. Usually it's just a glimpse and a woulda coulda shoulda future. So this is nice. Thinking back to first EP where we saw them in space I suppose this was end game anyway though.
Feb 29, 10:48 PM

Dec 2022
lol yup that's what Simon gets for picking Nia over Yoko as soon as that asked me to marry him came out i was like CRIIIIIINGE but okay maybe he was just doing it because he realized he'll never be man enough for Yoko like big bro the absolute fucking LEGEND yeah he's still just a little kid really though he's got a lot of growing left to do and looks like Rossiu is gonna fuck things up anyway
Mar 14, 9:09 PM

Mar 2022
The episode kicked ass for me, really liking the idea that the show is now in a time skip hence now a city, the cast is now a little bit older, it’s great personally. Though I really want to have Yoko appear again because for some reason she’s just disappeared but maybe the reason she’s gone will be made clear in the next episode cuz once again I do want to see her in this time skip. It’s really cool that the kids now pilot gunmen now but I think the only thing that bugs me is just Rossiu.

While it makes sense for him to be in a place of authority a bit below Simon but there are quite a few times in this episode where he just has a go at Simon when he legit doesn’t know what’s going on half the time. It’s like come on dude, why are you acting like this? It’s like the power has gotten to his head, big time. I mean I get Lord Genome’s last words are indeed worrying and it is something to focus, it is something important but there’s no reason for you to just be cold and distant with Simon. I mean without him, Simon wouldn’t have killed the Spiral King for god sakes.

Anyways it was pretty funny when Nia rejected the proposal from Simon and accepted it after some convincing. Viral looks cool as well, we are definitely gonna see more of him and I sense a team up between him and Simon there.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Faust721 - Apr 16, 2007

184 by Paragon_faith »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MasterChief - May 10, 2007

185 by sorvetedaora »»
Oct 15, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1161 by TheStarscream759 »»
Oct 9, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

accela - Sep 22, 2007

222 by TheStarscream759 »»
Oct 4, 5:25 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Krelian - May 16, 2007

95 by rogire »»
Sep 22, 5:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.