Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 27, 2016 5:43 PM

Mar 2008
It was kind of bland. Too many dramatic shots with no purpose whatsoever. I was expecting more show-offs with the animation, but it was basically the same old style. And I don't really see how you can adapt a Nisio Isin's work being minimalist.

Also, it could easily be a 3 hour movie to compensate for the wait. Good job Shaft, taking all the money you can with the series, heh.

Jul 27, 2016 6:27 PM

Aug 2015
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
The subs I watched had Hanekawa asking Araragi if he plays Pokémon Go...
..lol seriously?
Jul 27, 2016 7:25 PM

Oct 2012
OverkilledRed said:
Good job Shaft, taking all the money you can with the series, heh.

It's hardly Shaft's fault that the movie was split in three. They don't get to decide these things.
Jul 27, 2016 7:55 PM

Mar 2008
Koybz said:
OverkilledRed said:
Good job Shaft, taking all the money you can with the series, heh.

It's hardly Shaft's fault that the movie was split in three. They don't get to decide these things.

Yeah, I know it's probably a decision made by Aniplex and the others producers. Just the old habit of blaming the studio.

Jul 27, 2016 11:54 PM

Jan 2013
Sparse on dialogue, but all the characters looked amazing, fairly drastic art-style change from the rest of the series.
I had just finished the audiobook for this, it feels like this adapted 1/4 of it maybe.
Jul 28, 2016 7:19 AM

Sep 2013
Personally even thought the movie was really good i seriously was waiting for this only to see Araragi on fire and it was at the very beginning LOL, AMAZING!!!
Hope is painful...
Jul 28, 2016 9:57 AM

Feb 2011
Not much happened, but the little scenes showcased in the movie were well executed. 8/10 for now, just because of the hot Tsubasa and hot Kissshot in this part. I'm pretty sure it will get better in the next movie.
Jul 28, 2016 10:56 AM

May 2014
11/10
Really loved it ! OMG !
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2016 1:27 PM

Feb 2015
Gorgeous, but come on, nothing of the interesting parts of the history happened, with 2 movies it would have been enough. But well, it just make me mad cause i'll have to wait a lot to see the other movies :( good stuff anyway.
Jul 28, 2016 3:43 PM

Jun 2015
It was really well done even though not much happened I still enjoyed it.
:)
Jul 28, 2016 9:46 PM

Jan 2014
Hanekawa so adorable! Araragi being Araragi, nice. can't wait for the next one!
Jul 28, 2016 10:31 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
OMFG THE THINGS I WOULD DO TO TSUBASA.... GAWD.... SHE'S SO FUCKING FINE.....

anyway, glad to see more of the monogatari series as its easily one of my top 3 favorites, and that animation is ridiculous xD

i actually like this look of Shinobu much much better
Jul 28, 2016 11:37 PM

Dec 2014
I really like the new animation and art, especially blood. And architecture is adorable. Also music in kizu is very ordinary, in anime much better. I'm upset because movie very short (64 min not enough)
but its too hot 10/10
JencanseeJul 29, 2016 1:19 PM
Jul 29, 2016 5:42 AM

Feb 2010
Very slow paced... but i love it, pretty enjoyable... want more

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jul 29, 2016 7:25 AM

May 2015
that scene when he just threw her XD
anyway, the movie was good, shinobu cuteness too, the subs were hilarious, and the animation takes me back ^_^
Jul 29, 2016 7:28 AM

Mar 2015
Shaft is really should be considered as another candidate to make Blame adaptation. 50% of movie consist from just Araragi, who is wandering around.
Jul 29, 2016 10:07 AM

Feb 2015
Really good, so cinematic! A lot of wallpaper opportunities; absolutely stunning art. The first KissAnime subs were pretty bad so I may watch it again at some point. But a solid build-up. Not rushed at all - maybe even a little slow-paced? But all of the material they intended to cover, they did well. I can't get over how brilliant the atmosphere was - the music complemented this great new art perfectly well. Thoroughly enjoyed.
Jul 29, 2016 10:22 AM

May 2009
Do you guys know that there's a better sub on nyaa ? Not the greatest but the best one so far.

Shinobu is adorable as always. Nice animation too. Can't wait for the second one.
Jul 29, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2014
Found decent subs on Nyaa, watched it just now.. SO GOOD I want more. Shaft did an amazing job as usual and it's great to see this part of the story finally animated... now to wait another year.
Jul 29, 2016 5:02 PM

Dec 2015
[Sephirotic] rip with good subs(100% less memes) out.
Jul 30, 2016 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
EngCat said:
I really like the new animation and art, especially blood. And architecture is adorable. Also music in kizu is very ordinary, in anime much better. I'm upset because movie very short (64 min not enough)
but its too hot 10/10

9/10
Bit subs is really good! no meme

And I really love this animation http://i.imgur.com/EuDtq1H.gifv
GosuDRMJul 30, 2016 3:26 AM

Jul 30, 2016 5:51 AM

Jan 2014
9.5/10

kissshot is so adorable, best kissshot form IMO
Jul 30, 2016 9:10 AM

Dec 2015
Great movie, can't wait for more! 9/10
Jul 30, 2016 2:55 PM

Aug 2012
That adult Shinobu scene gave me the chills, classic SHAFT.
Jul 30, 2016 5:21 PM

Dec 2012
Great loli Shinobu with short hair <3
Jul 30, 2016 7:38 PM

Dec 2011
It was nice visually and I knew some things were changed but Araragis monologues being taken out kinda bugged me. Hopefully the other two parts are a little better since they`ll have the fights.
Jul 30, 2016 7:45 PM

Jan 2008
So Araragi became a vampire because of being turned on by Hanekawa's panties/boobs to the point he had to go buy fap material and went out at night on the same day to buy a naughty magazine then happen to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time? Genius.

The meeting of the two was pretty dang intense.

Loli Shinobu with short hair was super adorable. Must be when Araragi's inner lolicon awoken.

Wow that scene with Oshino. They never really showed what he was capable of in the TV series in terms of combat but didn't expect him to be that strong.
Jul 30, 2016 8:02 PM

Nov 2014
That was freaking awesome! Way different than the monogatari that I know but it was great!

The way Shinobu and Oshino were introduced was very well done.
Hi there
Jul 31, 2016 4:19 AM

Jul 2007
If I was to rate this on cinematography and directing alone this would be 10/10

However plot wise, there were too much shots of NOTHING. Silence. Scenes where characters could have presented their thoughts are devoid of them as if the movie is scared of having monologues. Which results of long shots of characters saying nothing. Long shots of walking. Long shots of staring. Long shots of the viewer sitting there waiting for ANYTHING of substance to happen.

Which in turn leaves the whole experience lacking substance and unfulfilling.

Had I not read the kizu LN, this would be quite difficult to understand. Would certainly not recommend it as an entry-point either. If you watched the rest of shows you MIGHT put two and two together overall, but otherwise this is quite lacking in terms of plot presentation.

Overall score: 7/10

Let's hope the next parts are better and Shaft does not just decide to abandon monologues for Owarimonogatari S2.
AhenshihaelJul 31, 2016 4:26 AM
Jul 31, 2016 5:01 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, that was great.

The animation is extremely well done and fit for movie quality. I find the talk between Araragi and Tsubasa to be quite amusing in a way regarding friendship. Meanwhile, Kisshot's debut in the movie and Araragi's reactions were phenomenal upon hearing her say that she needs to be saved because of her loss for blood.

Actions is nice and I think the length of the first movie is good enough to capture the thrilling style.

Araragi's dialogues were great in general. Music is nice too especially when the credits rolled. Can't wait for the second movie! 8/10.
Jul 31, 2016 7:10 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Hmm watching this makes me wonder, does this really need a full 3-movie adaptation? Because this felt reaaaally slow-paced to me. There were so many shots spent on seemingly nothing at all, not even the usual Monogatari rapid dialogue
Jul 31, 2016 12:20 PM

Nov 2014
I'm rather disappointed with movie's length. If it's 1h, then why even split it into 1 movies?

Still, that was great. I'd pat her head too...
Jul 31, 2016 4:11 PM

Jul 2013
After waiting for years I finally got around to see this movie, and boy I enjoyed every second of it.

I now understand what people were talking about the lack of inner monologue from Araragi, but I feel like they got the point across of Araragi's thoughts from the intensity of the animation. Action speaks louder than word so they say.

The soundtrack is prime as usual and the bits of comedy scenes in the intense red atmosphere was a nice change of pace.

They really went in on making Hanekawa and Shinobu Kiss shot look gorgeous and cute at the same time.

The blood sucking scene was also beautiful and epic and also gave me a romantic feeling which I didn't feel in the LN, so props to them.

Solid 9/10.
Jul 31, 2016 4:14 PM

Jul 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Hmm watching this makes me wonder, does this really need a full 3-movie adaptation? Because this felt reaaaally slow-paced to me. There were so many shots spent on seemingly nothing at all, not even the usual Monogatari rapid dialogue

Better safe than sorry. Between a drawn out and a rushed adaptation, I definitely prefer the former. I think they were going for an atmospheric route with the movie and tried to portray the mood visually which went great for me imo.
Jul 31, 2016 4:58 PM

Aug 2014
WE NARUTO NOW xD

This was long overdue but I can't complain since this was thrilling.

The highlight was of course the meet up between Araragi and Kiss-shot. What really made the scene for me was Kiss-shot's reaction when she saw that Araragi wasn't willing to help at first. I really wasn't expecting her to break down into tears like that...can't blame her though giving the circumstances. Hats off to Maaya Sakamato for her performance there.
I also really like the baby cry that was being emitted during her breakdown...some might not like but I thought it was a nice touch.

Overall I was very pleased with this...and to think this is just only the beginning. This should hold me off for a good while until part II comes out.
9/10
KashKetchumJul 31, 2016 5:37 PM
Jul 31, 2016 5:41 PM

Aug 2014
My favourite song from the movie by the way :
Jul 31, 2016 8:47 PM

Jun 2015
So... does anyone know where to buy the BD? I thought it was supposed to be released but I literally can't find it anywhere...

As for the film, it was stunning. Shaft's shift from their typical monologue-heavy story-telling to a more visual style is compelling and beautiful. So much story is told in the environment, the way the characters move and emote, the symbolism and hyperbole that are used to bring Nisio Isin's original story to life without words... classic Monogatari. If you don't pay attention to what's going on beneath the surface you miss out on like half the story!
Jul 31, 2016 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
drgy55 said:
So... does anyone know where to buy the BD? I thought it was supposed to be released but I literally can't find it anywhere...

It hasn't been licensed outside of Japan if that's what you're asking, but you can find the BD on your typical Japanese stores.

Amazon for example.
Jul 31, 2016 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
Jerkhov said:
drgy55 said:

It hasn't been licensed outside of Japan if that's what you're asking, but you can find the BD on your typical Japanese stores.

Amazon for example.

Yah, my wording was bad... I know it's available in Japan, I was hoping Aniplex had released it with English subs ;_; Thanks anyway; back to waiting!
Jul 31, 2016 10:33 PM

Feb 2013
That was fucking awesome!!!!! Can't wait to see the rest!!!!
Jul 31, 2016 11:31 PM

Feb 2008
Wait, this is the movie they announced almost a decade ago? This is supposed to be Bakemonogatari on movie budget? This was probably the worst part of the franchise I've seen, and the visuals looked low buget as fuck. Full CGI backgrounds with potato quality drawn characters. Plus it was edgy as fuck, especially that subway scene. Man I feel bad for the fans, nobody deserves to wait 8 years for this.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 31, 2016 11:46 PM

Apr 2009
ZetaZaku said:
Wait, this is the movie they announced almost a decade ago? This is supposed to be Bakemonogatari on movie budget? This was probably the worst part of the franchise I've seen, and the visuals looked low buget as fuck. Full CGI backgrounds with potato quality drawn characters. Plus it was edgy as fuck, especially that subway scene. Man I feel bad for the fans, nobody deserves to wait 8 years for this.

I fully agree, the cinematography was also really bad. We are witnessing the regression of SHAFT and Shinbo in almost every aspect right now.
I mean, just compare the stupid panty scene between Bake and Kizu: Kizu is over the top when it comes to adapting the skirt flapping, but the backgrounds and how the scene is constructed, the light and everything.. it is pretty bad. Not a fan at all of the directing utilized in this movie.

Anyway, at least I can now safely say I am glad that we never got SZS Final. Current SHAFT and Shinbo are just not up to the task.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 1, 2016 4:56 AM

Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Kizu is over the top when it comes to adapting the skirt flapping

Nah dude, the only thing that could be considered over the top for that scene is the original novel. It spends 3~4 fucking pages describing the panties. The movie is incredibly tame in comparison. I'd argue that it is a very important moment in the the series though as it is what essentially kicks start everything that follows. No skirt flip, no monogatari series.

Also, this project is pretty much a labor of love by Oishi Tatsuya (who directed the Bakemonogatari season) so you can stop using the Shinbo scapegoat now. Though he will be directing 3-gatsu apparently, so you can go wild at him then when the time comes.
Aug 1, 2016 5:36 AM

Jul 2012
I think it was pretty good, liked it quite a lot so it was worth all the waiting time. Not a fan of 3D animation and there was a bunch of scenes in the movie, well it was not that bad. The scene with patting Shinobu's head is my favourite =/
Is there any specific reason fot the upside-down/crashed car or it's just random, if anyone knows?
Aug 1, 2016 5:46 AM

Apr 2010
HaXXspetten said:

Gotta milk dat cash cow.
Aug 1, 2016 1:39 PM

Nov 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
ZetaZaku said:

I fully agree, the cinematography was also really bad. We are witnessing the regression of SHAFT and Shinbo in almost every aspect right now.
I mean, just compare the stupid panty scene between Bake and Kizu: Kizu is over the top when it comes to adapting the skirt flapping, but the backgrounds and how the scene is constructed, the light and everything.. it is pretty bad. Not a fan at all of the directing utilized in this movie.

Almost two words: Tatsuya Oishi

BiasaAug 1, 2016 1:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2016 9:01 PM
Apr 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
ZetaZaku said:

Anyway, at least I can now safely say I am glad that we never got SZS Final. Current SHAFT and Shinbo are just not up to the task.

After watching this movie and then seeing the endless praise for it, I was beginning to think I must have watched a different film. Thankfully these two I can agree with.

I thought the drawing quality was low. It looked ridiculous on cg. For the distant walking scenes they clearly just traced a default 3d walk loop. Years of wait for a double-ep where nothing much happens is a joke by Aniplex or whoever decided it.

The opening scene with Hanekawa was beautifully executed in the intro to Bake, but turned into a cheesy fanservice "event" in the movie for no apparent reason. In the novel it's clearly a big deal that this event happens. He talks about every detail of fabric, etc. - I can't imagine it coming with comic music like it did in the movie. Hanekawa's boobs went from big but making sense to bizarre braless flopping about entities. Why. It looks stupid and makes no sense. Shirts do not tuck in underneath breasts.

I guess the overall sort of manic edgy look everyone has is intentional, but personally I thought the intro to Bake gave a much better feeling of anticipation for Kizu (especially since it's basically a trailer for it) than anything the movie did.

The cg backgrounds were nicely rendered but didn't fit with the anime, and a bunch of locations that viewers have been familiar with for years were changed for no apparent reason, offering no improvement as a result (exception: outside of cram school is much more impressive now.) Overall everything just felt really lifeless and empty.

I want to love it, but it's like the various other seasons and ovas are siblings of all different ages, and Kizu is their also related but retarded cat with one leg and a broken ear that's kept in the attic.
hopscotchskiesAug 1, 2016 9:17 PM
Aug 2, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2014
Fai said:
However plot wise, there were too much shots of NOTHING. Silence. Scenes where characters could have presented their thoughts are devoid of them as if the movie is scared of having monologues.

That's what I loved about it. I hate monologues. Show, don't tell. And the fancier it's shown, the better. Give me room to think and daydream. Don't fill in every blank.

Nidhoeggr said:
I fully agree, the cinematography was also really bad.

Yeah, this looks terrible...

Aug 2, 2016 9:24 AM

Jul 2007
aikaflip said:

That's what I loved about it. I hate monologues. Show, don't tell. And the fancier it's shown, the better. Give me room to think and daydream. Don't fill in every blank.

Not in the event that defined Araragi's life.

I don't see people understanding at just how alienated he has gotten to even his own family at this point in the story or how oblivious and disbelieving he is of his situation, or, well, any of his thoughts here that are crucially important to the story. Hanekawa is the only person he did not quite manage to completely push away at this point.

As I said you can "fill in the blanks" from the show SOMEWHAT, but this would absolutely not work as the entrypoint to the franchise(like the novel is).

Monogatari franchise had a nice balance of showing and telling that worked real well.The adaptation so far removed quite a lot of dialogue but retained the important substance still making it a thinking man's narrative instead of just something to watch. Unlike that t his was a whole bunch of showing(empty spaces) and no telling(the plot). If I had not read the LN this would have raised quite a few questions. This lacks balance and suffers from that in spite of perfect cinematography.

The movie has beautiful visuals, top notch cinematography and great directing. But it shies away from actual substance, which is an unfair trade off(and not even a trade off since you can have substance and monologues without the cinematography taking a hit).
AhenshihaelAug 2, 2016 9:29 AM
Aug 2, 2016 10:50 AM

Nov 2014
@Fai Great points. For example, while you do get a sense of Araragi's isolation in some of the earlier scenes, his willingness to give his life to save a stranger isn't justified as clearly as it could have been. They could have shown or told that better.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Disregarding the fact that the internal monologues were omitted, how good of an adaptation do the people who have watched the movie think it is?

Mado_Mura - Jan 10, 2016

6 by KleptoKritikal »»
Mar 5, 7:00 AM

Poll: » What would you do if you have your limbs chopped off, laying in the ground and no one notices you?

TheRayquaza - Jan 22

16 by dicloflom »»
Jan 23, 8:55 PM

» Needs the gore tag

RaltsPokemon - Dec 15, 2023

5 by RaltsPokemon »»
Dec 18, 2023 10:40 AM

» Can I watch this? ( 1 2 )

Cheggeronis - Jul 12, 2023

53 by LordAtsukiYoru »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:52 PM

» I was wrong, and I am a changed man

BestListMAL - Feb 7, 2023

26 by removed-user »»
Mar 25, 2023 6:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.