Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 7, 2023 1:34 PM

Jan 2023
Previously, I pondered how rewatchable the monogatari series was, and even made a forum post about my thoughts on this short movie. However, I must apologise and say I might be wrong, I'm currently rewatching Bakemonogatari and I love it, even on the rewatch it's so incredibly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to rewatching Kizumonogatari movies too. What are your thoughts? Is the monogatari series rewatchable for you all?
Feb 7, 2023 1:41 PM
Aug 2021
It must be rewatched imo.
Feb 7, 2023 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
I'm struggling to get through the next season (of where I am) because I do not want to be done with the show lol. It is so good and is built upon such a solid foundation I cannot bare the effect of finishing it until another part is announced.
Feb 7, 2023 2:03 PM

Mar 2020
Bored_Resort said:
I'm struggling to get through the next season (of where I am) because I do not want to be done with the show lol. It is so good and is built upon such a solid foundation I cannot bare the effect of finishing it until another part is announced.

You should finish it. I was the same when I finished Owari Ge, and I enjoyed Zoku Owari after almost a month later. I'm now planning on reading the LNs, which also helps to remember details and has way more dialogue (already read Kabuki, Owari, Koyomi and Tsuki, in that order, and Koyomi was truly perfect, compared to its anime version). You should try it out after you finish ^^

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Feb 7, 2023 2:25 PM
Jan 2020
I only watched it once but it was so great and I definitely forgot some stuff over time, so it's definitely worth rewatching one day. Kaiki was always my favorite character
As Long as the Sun, the moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be alright.
Feb 7, 2023 2:38 PM
Nov 2022
i finished bakemonogatari and man it's so fucking good. the characters, animation, music, story everything is so amazing. Hitagi is my favourite character so far.
Feb 7, 2023 5:40 PM
Feb 2019
I’m rewatching the whole show atm and am on final season, honestly on my next rewatch I might go no subtitles just to take in and appreciate the animation/VA rather than attempting to dissect the immense amount of wordplay thrown at you since the dialogue usually takes up a large amount of one’s attention
Feb 7, 2023 5:58 PM

Nov 2019
Still the same reception. They stretched 180 pages into 3 installments for some quick bucks, and the former two only serves the outcome in the latter.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 7, 2023 6:14 PM

May 2021
BestListMAL said:
Previously, I pondered how rewatchable the monogatari series was, and even made a forum post about my thoughts on this short movie. However, I must apologise and say I might be wrong, I'm currently rewatching Bakemonogatari and I love it, even on the rewatch it's so incredibly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to rewatching Kizumonogatari movies too. What are your thoughts? Is the monogatari series rewatchable for you all?

yes it's pretty rewatchable, infact I've watched it 3 time in last 1.5 years
Feb 7, 2023 6:57 PM
Nov 2020
I’m watching Owari currently and I’m already thinking about rewatching it in entirety just to catch all the details and just to experience it again. I love the story and the great cast of characters
Feb 7, 2023 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
Perfectrockstar said:
I’m rewatching the whole show atm and am on final season, honestly on my next rewatch I might go no subtitles just to take in and appreciate the animation/VA rather than attempting to dissect the immense amount of wordplay thrown at you since the dialogue usually takes up a large amount of one’s attention
How can you "dissect" the wordplay when it's in Japanese to begin with, or are we talking about two different things?
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 8, 2023 8:34 AM
Feb 2019
LostSpectre said:
Perfectrockstar said:
How can you "dissect" the wordplay when it's in Japanese to begin with, or are we talking about two different things?

Essentially half of it can be fairly translated to English and be comprehensible but the other half you need to understand the Japanese language to understand, so the more you know the more you’ll be able to catch/comprehend. One of the most basic ones is when a character calls araragi oni oniichan which means devil big brother and calls him that because of his vampiric powers, but there’s a ridiculous amount written by nisioisin and is really fun to catch the ones you can. In fact the title of each arc in and of itself is wordplay, bakemono means monster and monogatari is to tell a story or an epic so he combined the mono to create bakemonogatari ie monster story.
Feb 8, 2023 9:24 AM

Jan 2013
Perfectrockstar said:
LostSpectre said:

Essentially half of it can be fairly translated to English and be comprehensible but the other half you need to understand the Japanese language to understand, so the more you know the more you’ll be able to catch/comprehend. One of the most basic ones is when a character calls araragi oni oniichan which means devil big brother and calls him that because of his vampiric powers, but there’s a ridiculous amount written by nisioisin and is really fun to catch the ones you can. In fact the title of each arc in and of itself is wordplay, bakemono means monster and monogatari is to tell a story or an epic so he combined the mono to create bakemonogatari ie monster story.
Yeah, I just assumed that was the case with the titles. However, I'm still skeptical of what a non-Japanese speaker can realistically pick up here.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 8, 2023 9:28 AM

Dec 2021
Anything written by Nisio Isin requires deep introspection to understand because it's only aimed towards HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS and REAL ANIME FANS
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Feb 8, 2023 12:36 PM
Feb 2019
LostSpectre said:
Perfectrockstar said:

Yeah, I just assumed that was the case with the titles. However, I'm still skeptical of what a non-Japanese speaker can realistically pick up here.

You can definitely pick some up, although obviously there will be a lot that will go over the head but at the same time a majority of the word play is in the light novels regardless. In the anime a lot of the word play you can kinda figure out with prior knowledge and cues from the visuals, dialogue, etc. but all in all it really rewards you for studying up on eastern knowledge in general with a joke that you may not have gotten before, for example I had no idea what a sororate was before episode 3 of bake and then I did some research and now I use the same joke irl. It’s quite rewarding the more you pay attention and care.
Feb 8, 2023 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
Perfectrockstar said:
LostSpectre said:

You can definitely pick some up, although obviously there will be a lot that will go over the head but at the same time a majority of the word play is in the light novels regardless. In the anime a lot of the word play you can kinda figure out with prior knowledge and cues from the visuals, dialogue, etc. but all in all it really rewards you for studying up on eastern knowledge in general with a joke that you may not have gotten before, for example I had no idea what a sororate was before episode 3 of bake and then I did some research and now I use the same joke irl. It’s quite rewarding the more you pay attention and care.
Yeah, I don't think I have any interest if it isn't surface level enough to spot, I have better avenues to delve into for wordplay, but alright. 
Feb 8, 2023 12:40 PM

Sep 2014
It wasn't watchable the first time for me.
Feb 8, 2023 3:54 PM
Feb 2019
LostSpectre said:
Perfectrockstar said:

Yeah, I don't think I have any interest if it isn't surface level enough to spot, I have better avenues to delve into for wordplay, but alright. 

Oh lmao I thought you were saying it wasn’t difficult enough so I was explaining the wrong part to you then, as long as you understand what some of their holidays are like golden week, you should be good. They translate the word play that is translatable for you, and if you want to understand more you can make an effort to ie read the sentence for more then the .5 seconds it’s on screen. But it’s necessary to the plot or anything it’s really just gags and in between the lines humor.
Feb 8, 2023 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
BetterBegoneThot said:
Bored_Resort said:

You should finish it. I was the same when I finished Owari Ge, and I enjoyed Zoku Owari after almost a month later. I'm now planning on reading the LNs, which also helps to remember details and has way more dialogue (already read Kabuki, Owari, Koyomi and Tsuki, in that order, and Koyomi was truly perfect, compared to its anime version). You should try it out after you finish ^^

Thanks for the suggestion if u could get my hands on an online version to read then I would totally and immediately lol. It is quite hard to get physical copies where I am.
Feb 9, 2023 4:09 AM

Jul 2021
LostSpectre said:
Perfectrockstar said:

it's honestly not that hard to pick up a lot. especially if you've watched a lot of anime and are used to standard-fare anime dialogue. and if not, frankly, why the fuck are you watching Monogatari if you haven't watched much anime before? lol.

it's like your first philosopher being Derrida. or your first nachos being Chocolate Nachos. u get my point
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Feb 9, 2023 10:22 AM
Sep 2020
BestListMAL said:

It's almost necessary, re-watching everything in chronological order, makes the whole series even better
Feb 9, 2023 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
3looming said:
LostSpectre said:

it's honestly not that hard to pick up a lot. especially if you've watched a lot of anime and are used to standard-fare anime dialogue. and if not, frankly, why the fuck are you watching Monogatari if you haven't watched much anime before? lol.

it's like your first philosopher being Derrida. or your first nachos being Chocolate Nachos. u get my point
Well, I meant the type of kanji related puns they sometimes explain, but most often do not, I wasn't really talking about all the obvious stuff. 
Feb 15, 2023 6:38 AM
Nov 2018
BestListMAL said:

its too long, i only rewatch parts i like

ex. the karen bee arc with the fight scene
Feb 15, 2023 6:40 AM
Nov 2018
Bored_Resort said:

im with you bro, but one day i just couldn't hold it and watched a part, then another time a part, then i finished it
Feb 15, 2023 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
KayShawn258 said:
Bored_Resort said:

im with you bro, but one day i just couldn't hold it and watched a part, then another time a part, then i finished it
Im trying my hardest lol
Mar 24, 2023 1:38 PM

Nov 2010
Bored_Resort said:

What a weirdo. Just finish it. There are so many other shows with stories that are better or as good as Monogatari.
Mar 25, 2023 6:29 AM
Jul 2018
MxS7HGS said:
Bored_Resort said:

What a weirdo. Just finish it. There are so many other shows with stories that are better or as good as Monogatari.

My G i can finish it if I wanted to, I just don't want to cause I love the series alot, if I finish it ill have to wait eons for everything else to progress and get another part of it. Its not about if there is something similar, if you have something for years on end and it holds a high place in your heart and you find something better, you will still feel inclined to stay with it rather than what is "better".

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Djidji - Jan 29, 2016

224 by otakuanity »»
Mar 25, 2:57 PM

» Disregarding the fact that the internal monologues were omitted, how good of an adaptation do the people who have watched the movie think it is?

Mado_Mura - Jan 10, 2016

6 by KleptoKritikal »»
Mar 5, 7:00 AM

Poll: » What would you do if you have your limbs chopped off, laying in the ground and no one notices you?

TheRayquaza - Jan 22

16 by dicloflom »»
Jan 23, 8:55 PM

» Needs the gore tag

RaltsPokemon - Dec 15, 2023

5 by RaltsPokemon »»
Dec 18, 2023 10:40 AM

» Can I watch this? ( 1 2 )

Cheggeronis - Jul 12, 2023

53 by LordAtsukiYoru »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.