Forum Settings
Forums

Is having an inconsistent kind of anime as favorites a sign that a person has widened his/her horizons? Or its just pretentiousness?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 24, 2016 3:29 AM

Apr 2015
hoopla123 said:
As long as you are not a Yukinofag, anything is fine.

Nice fam

and hey I wanted your opinion about Haruno, Good? Bad? Meh? or worse than Yukinope?
Jun 24, 2016 3:30 AM

Apr 2013
You said:
hoopla123 said:
As long as you are not a Yukinofag, anything is fine.

Nice fam

and hey I wanted your opinion about Haruno, Good? Bad? Meh? or worse than Yukinope?

Haruno is certainly better than Yukinope for sure.

Anything is better. Except Miura.
Jun 24, 2016 3:32 AM

Apr 2015
hoopla123 said:
You said:

Nice fam

I hereby approved your waifu taste as good.
Jun 24, 2016 3:39 AM

Jul 2015
Just list what you like, honestly.

I know it's weird coming from someone that the rarest favourite anime is KonoSuba, but it's all based in what series did you enjoy the most, if there is stuff like Rakudai (that was awesome btw) that you through that it was great and you liked it a lot, then there is no problem in being there.

Worst would be if you decided to ignore what you really think, and you started adding mainstream favourites anime there just to look cool and "look at me, I have great taste!
Jun 24, 2016 3:50 AM

Jun 2015
You use to be too concerned about this kind of things. Also, wasn't Shimoneta your best anime of all time?

I don't know, just be honest with yourself for once and it should be fine, inconsistent favorites is just an idea a person that is not very sure of himself would even think of, it sounds stupid.
Jun 24, 2016 5:20 AM

Oct 2012
Does there always have to be an agenda behind a person's favorite list?

Jun 24, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2015
I don't get it; what's pretentious about liking more than just one kind of anime?
Jun 24, 2016 9:02 AM

May 2015
yadda yadda musashi. blah blah blah naruto. rabba rabba legend of galatic heroes. blah blah blah elitist.

ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 24, 2016 9:11 AM

Sep 2015
I don't think it's pretentious to spread yourself out across multiple genres and kinds of anime to try out different things. If anything, I find it pretentious to associate yourself with a certain kind of anime - it comes across like the person is trying to project some kind of desired image onto themselves moreso than just sitting back and watching what they want to watch. I also think people who are willing to try out new things, regardless of their reason for doing so, are significantly less irritating then people who only want to watch certain kinds of anime because they tend to be less stuck up about what they like and tend to be more open to recommendations and trying out things that folk like me generally close themselves off to due to an aversion to something about it. Not always the case, of course, but meh. Less so with them than people who stick with a single type of anime and hate anything that isn't like that kind of anime.

Might sound retarded coming from somebody with a pretty consistent favorites list but meh :V
ManabanJun 24, 2016 9:21 AM

Jun 24, 2016 9:18 AM

May 2015
Lisbon said:
I don't think it's pretentious to spread yourself out across multiple genres and kinds of anime to try out different things. If anything, I find it pretentious to associate yourself with a certain kind of anime - it comes across like the person is trying to project some kind of desired image onto themselves moreso than just sitting back and watching what they want to watch.

Might sound retarded coming from somebody with a pretty consistent favorites list but meh :V

It doesn't necessarily *mean* that, even if that's the intention sometimes or even most of time. So it's not hypocritical, obviously.
Jun 24, 2016 9:20 AM

Oct 2015
Cishet said:
Judging one person by their favourites is pretty dumb. Please don't do it.
Except if they like SAO. If they like SAO, they have shit taste and nothing can redeem it.

Was SAO even that bad? Sure it isn't the greatest, but I've seen worse :c Too each their own I guess
Jun 24, 2016 9:23 AM

Sep 2014
It could be considered pretentious if you change your favourites specifically to avoid having all of one type but if they are your honest favourites its certainly not.

Its narrow minded if you call something bad because it belongs to a genre you've never tried but having a specific favourite isn't

Jun 24, 2016 9:53 AM
Jan 2015
If they're your honest favorites, then its just shows you have a lot of variety of taste.
My Queens

Jun 24, 2016 11:30 AM

Aug 2014
Is having an inconsistent kind of anime as favorites a sign that a person has widened his/her horizons?
YES YES

When i look at someone's favorite list i would like it to tell me what he/she want from an anime, I respect it when people has "wide taste" it tells me that they have an open mind and dont stick to only one particular genre, (nothing wrong with sticking to one genre, but for me i respect the variety of taste more).

From what I've seen on MAL it seems like a lot of people can be categorized by their favorites, its boring to see the same lists with the same ratings (its just that each person is unique and people hardly agree these days so when i see that hundreds of people have the same lists with same ratings i just lose interest in them).
Jun 24, 2016 11:51 AM

Dec 2012
Variety I guess. Mine has:

A medical drama/mystery/thriller
A real sci-fi/Slice of life/romance
A psychological/theological/slice of life/drama
A philosophica/sci-fi/action show
A fantasy/action show
A sci-fi/space opera epic
A slice of life show with martial arts and comedy
A romantic comedy
A romantic drama
A psychological/drama with comedy
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 24, 2016 3:18 PM

Jan 2016
Lordwen said:
You use to be too concerned about this kind of things. Also, wasn't Shimoneta your best anime of all time?

Well, the more anime I watch.... my favorites increases....(I think that's just normal)...
Jun 24, 2016 4:06 PM

Dec 2015
My favorites list is completely random, don't see how it makes someone pretentious. I don't think OP knows the meaning on the word. I have dramas, psychological, horror, time travel, romance, tragedy, and comedies on my list. The only thing I can see a pattern with is the time travel concept (Higurashi, Steins;Gate, Erased, and possibly Re:zero if I add it to list).

My favorites list (added solely on the fact these are my favorite shows):

-Higurashi
-Death Note
-Spice and Wolf
-B Gata H Kei
-Seitokai Yakuindomo
-Steins;Gate
-Kokoro Connect
-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun
-Ano Hi Mita Hana

(Will most likely be adding Re:zero or Sakamoto depending on how they continue and end). If my favorites list could hold more than 10 anime I would add Madoka Magicka to it too which is a Magical Girl (of course a deconstruction of the genre nonetheless but it is still magical girl and again follows the time travel fetish I have).

Manga favorites:
-Sundome
-Erased (starting reading it almost 2 years before the show came out)
CejaraJun 24, 2016 4:16 PM
Jun 25, 2016 8:55 AM

Nov 2009
Maz said:
flannan said:

That's the kind of list I expect from a person who actually liked some of the "elitist" shows. It shows that the maker it a real person who has some way of choosing which shows he/she likes beyond "these shows are praised by the elitist crowd a lot".
Even if I am unable to understand what do these shows have in common.

So if someone has a set of favourites it makes them less of a real person? What sort of bullshit logic is that?

If someone had all ecchi harem anime as their favourites, they wouldn't be written off as being unreal, so why the double standard when it comes to "elitist" anime? They all have something in common, so it makes sense for one to enjoy them all. The same for any style or genre of anime.

I really can't understand this bullshit hypocrisy thrown at those who like a certain style of anime.

You see, to me, "elitist anime" are not a defined type of anime. They have nothing in common beyond their inaccessibility and praise by the elitist crowd. For example, what's in common between Lain and Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
Hence, anybody who says that he/she likes them all is suspicious.
Jun 25, 2016 9:26 AM

Aug 2014
This is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with having a mix of psychological, comedy, romance and so on favorites, because it just shows what you like the most, which is a subjective matter. My own list, for example got stuff like LoGH and Ping Pong mixed with non-elitist considered shows like Barakamon and Jinrui wa Suitai, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is just a pretentious elitist.
Jun 25, 2016 10:20 AM
Feb 2016
Ecchi_Hater_9000 said:
Depends on who you ask.

If you ask Digibro... yeah, you're fucking pretentious. Or basically just a poser.

If you ask MAL... LotGH alone is enough to label you an elitist. The rest are irrelevant. Not even Gintama could redeem you.

If you ask the guys at the Anime Uber-Elitist Club... you're a gentleman of exquisite taste. Until they see Fairy Tail, that is, then you're done.

If you ask me... (as in someone who manages to enjoy both Ergo Proxy and Yuru Yuri) I'll say that you like what you like. Just look at my favorites. Sometimes all it takes is a single amazing character to make me love a show.

Nope, Digibro didn't say that. He himself embraces both high-brow and low-brow shows (e.g. GitS:SAC and K-On in one list). His video was about encouraging people to embrace personal favourites as well as ones that were generally considered good. Though, in the end he did admit that you can have whatever on your list and you have no reason to listen to him.

And as you can probably see from this topic, quite a few people in MAL don't think that it's pretentious or elitist to have LoGH on your favourites list.
Jun 25, 2016 10:28 AM

Dec 2010
People are trying so hard nowadays not to be labeled(mostly by themselves) as elitists or pretentious. And here I am content with just the chance that titles I like so much exist.
Jun 25, 2016 10:46 AM

May 2015
Shoegum said:

Nope, Digibro didn't say that. He himself embraces both high-brow and low-brow shows (e.g. GitS:SAC and K-On in one list). His video was about encouraging people to embrace personal favourites as well as ones that were generally considered good. Though, in the end he did admit that you can have whatever on your list and you have no reason to listen to him.

I understand the part with "people put Ergo Proxy on their favorite list to appear better" but the really stupid part of the video was "AND I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY CAN LIKE ERGO PROXY IT SEEMED BAD TO ME". I understand the rest though, more or less, but that was..unnecessary. And hurtful to his point.

And basically, that "I don't understand how people can like what I don't" three minute segment of his video(if not less) is basically every single elitist thread here.

And as you can probably see from this topic, quite a few people in MAL don't think that it's pretentious or elitist to have LoGH on your favourites list.

liking an anime is not inherently pretentious. but alot of people who have no idea what that word means think it does, it's pretty split here actually. have you seen the other 50 elitist threads from this month? the other 7000 elitst thread from the past year?
Jun 25, 2016 10:49 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
Maz said:

So if someone has a set of favourites it makes them less of a real person? What sort of bullshit logic is that?

If someone had all ecchi harem anime as their favourites, they wouldn't be written off as being unreal, so why the double standard when it comes to "elitist" anime? They all have something in common, so it makes sense for one to enjoy them all. The same for any style or genre of anime.

I really can't understand this bullshit hypocrisy thrown at those who like a certain style of anime.

You see, to me, "elitist anime" are not a defined type of anime. They have nothing in common beyond their inaccessibility and praise by the elitist crowd. For example, what's in common between Lain and Legend of the Galactic Heroes?
Hence, anybody who says that he/she likes them all is suspicious.

Your constant misuse of the word elitist makes me sigh.

What's in common with most of them is that they explore deeper themes, morals and are filled with allegories and the like. A lot of them are quite abstract in nature, too. They might all have niche appeal, but within that niche it makes sense for those people to enjoy them all.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 25, 2016 10:55 AM

Mar 2016
hoopla123 said:
You said:

Nice fam

Miura isn't ship material but she's better than the two mains anyways.
Jun 25, 2016 11:07 AM

Jul 2013
TheDeadApostle said:
hoopla123 said:

Miura isn't ship material but she's better than the two mains anyways.
Miura it's much better than Haruno, that's sure.
Jun 25, 2016 11:43 AM

May 2015
flannan said:

You see, to me, "elitist anime" are not a defined type of anime.

I agree.

What about space politics attract anime elitist? What does cartoons about space politics and cartoons about psychics have in common more on MAL at 11:00.

First things first

What's in common with most of them is that they explore deeper themes, morals and are filled with allegories and the like. A lot of them are quite abstract in nature, too. They might all have niche appeal, but within that niche it makes sense for those people to enjoy them all.

1. I mention this in every elitist thread and I will forever. If nobody is going to discuss the similarities between why the shows fanbase correlates, if no one's going to debate and look into WHY their fanbases correlate, if nobody can say anything about the show's values, the shows characters, the shows story, the shows art, the shows theme, why can say they say anything about the fans opinion?

Maybe, just maybe, watching the shows will really help them understand why people like it. Maybe asking people, in the legend of galatic heroes and lain forums would really help them understand the appeal if you're not going to watch it. But they don't discuss the show. i don't find that many people at all discuss the abstract nature of lain and LOGH. They just whine.

Maybe people who like LOGH just also like Lain. But the quality of LOGH and Lain has got nothing to do with elitism if an interesting discussion for another topic.

If the people who a given show attracts has nothing to do with the show, if there's no discussion about the relation between sexy space people, psychics and ELITISM, why are having this discussion? The fans a show attract can say alot about the show, like One Piece or Naruto for instance. I don't understand what the fans of LOGH and Lain can say about elitist, what does elitism have to do with these shows?

I don't understand why the shows an "elitist" watch determines their elitism. Elitist can be elitist about Naruto, LOGH, Lain or One Piece, it doesn't have to be unpopular for someone to find some kind of way to feel superior to other. I don't understand what elitism has to do deeper themes or having an abstract nature. I get that elitist might be snobby about the show BECAUSE of it's abstract nature, but that's independent of the show itself.

There is no such thing as an elitist anime. If anyone can give me a strong reason why space politics and magical powers has anything to do with elitism I'll buy them a beer. You'll have to come to me to get it though so..
ashfrliebertJun 25, 2016 12:07 PM
Jun 25, 2016 11:54 AM

Jun 2016
idk. i wouldnt call someone pretentious because of their favorites. instead i would based on how they act towards me
Scream!
Jun 25, 2016 12:01 PM

Jan 2012
Having an inconsistent genre/kind of anime in your favorites probably just means you have a wider range of anime that you really enjoy
Jun 25, 2016 12:08 PM

Sep 2012
It means you're not just a one-trick pony or a stereotype, and that your taste is complex. There's nothing bad with that, in fact it's quite good to enjoy a wide variety of anime.
Jun 25, 2016 12:11 PM

Apr 2011
No, it makes you, you.

This forum needs to release itself of its vague conclusion that the majority of users dislikes their own listed favourites and highly-rated series. Surely, a small margin of the userbase blossoms through this banter and facetious behaviour and are merely here to jest and demean any living-and breathing entity they stumble upon, however the preponderance does wholeheartedly appear to enjoy that which they speak of. This place has a long journey to yet embark upon when it comes down to the acceptance of others their preferences and opinions.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jun 25, 2016 12:29 PM

Apr 2015
Okay so having variety in your favorites has become such a problem, that we are now labeling people as pretentious, etc. Godless this community *sigh*

-Mastergold
Jun 25, 2016 12:42 PM

Nov 2009
ashfrliebert said:
flannan said:

You see, to me, "elitist anime" are not a defined type of anime.

I agree.

What about space politics attract anime elitist? What does cartoons about space politics and cartoons about psychics have in common more on MAL at 11:00.

First things first

1. I mention this in every elitist thread and I will forever. If nobody is going to discuss the similarities between why the shows fanbase correlates, if no one's going to debate and look into WHY their fanbases correlate, if nobody can say anything about the show's values, the shows characters, the shows story, the shows art, the shows theme, why can say they say anything about the fans opinion?

Maybe, just maybe, watching the shows will really help them understand why people like it. Maybe asking people, in the legend of galatic heroes and lain forums would really help them understand the appeal if you're not going to watch it. But they don't discuss the show. i don't find that many people at all discuss the abstract nature of lain and LOGH. They just whine.

Maybe people who like LOGH just also like Lain. But the quality of LOGH and Lain has got nothing to do with elitism if an interesting discussion for another topic.

If the people who a given show attracts has nothing to do with the show, if there's no discussion about the relation between sexy space people, psychics and ELITISM, why are having this discussion? The fans a show attract can say alot about the show, like One Piece or Naruto for instance. I don't understand what the fans of LOGH and Lain can say about elitist, what does elitism have to do with these shows?

I don't understand why the shows an "elitist" watch determines their elitism. Elitist can be elitist about Naruto, LOGH, Lain or One Piece, it doesn't have to be unpopular for someone to find some kind of way to feel superior to other. I don't understand what elitism has to do deeper themes or having an abstract nature. I get that elitist might be snobby about the show BECAUSE of it's abstract nature, but that's independent of the show itself.

There is no such thing as an elitist anime. If anyone can give me a strong reason why space politics and magical powers has anything to do with elitism I'll buy them a beer. You'll have to come to me to get it though so..

Disclaimer: I have watched Lain. I have not watched LoGH.
1) There are NO similarities between elitist shows beyond their inaccessibility. They are only known by one other common trait, that sets them apart from other inaccessible shows: they are praised by a group of extremely obnoxious users, known as "elitists".

2) Watching shows elitists watch does not make a user an elitist. That's a conscious choice they make, replacing all their favorites with shows from a pre-approved list, and then going on to annoy other, sane, people.
Jun 25, 2016 1:09 PM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
ashfrliebert said:

I agree.

First things first

1) There are NO similarities between elitist shows beyond their inaccessibility. They are only known by one other common trait, that sets them apart from other inaccessible shows: they are praised by a group of extremely obnoxious users, known as "elitists".

2) Watching shows elitists watch does not make a user an elitist. That's a conscious choice they make, replacing all their favorites with shows from a pre-approved list, and then going on to annoy other, sane, people.

If you actually knew what an elitist was, this conversation would be much easier. Because, so far, you've not used it correctly once.
Jun 25, 2016 1:12 PM

Nov 2009
Maz said:
If you actually knew what an elitist was, this conversation would be much easier. Because, so far, you've not used it correctly once.

Does it matter? Users we call "elitists" are a subculture which may or may not be actually consist of elitists. And which might not contain all the elitists on MAL.
Jun 25, 2016 1:13 PM

Mar 2015
How the hell does having multiple types of shows in your favorites indicate a person being pretentious in any way? I swear people will think of the most random things to spout their buzzwords.
Jun 25, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
Depends, some people drop what doesn't fit them, and some people just watches whatever.
Jun 25, 2016 1:17 PM
Dec 2013
previously i like magic anime
then slowly choose to action one
then change to like slice of life and yaoi/shounen ai

i guess its nothing wrong with it. just probably i have widen my horizon about many possibilities in each type of anime
Jun 25, 2016 1:18 PM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
Maz said:

Does it matter? Users we call "elitists" are a subculture which may or may not be actually consist of elitists. And which might not contain all the elitists on MAL.

"Does it matter if the language I'm speaking is understood by other people when discussing? I see no issue at all making up new meanings of exisiting words on the spot."

I dunno, I find it hard to believe someone could seriously suggest there isn't a problem with arbitrarily throwing out random words and making up their meaning without any rhyme or rhythm. You don't even know who you're disparaging yet you're claiming they're suspicious, unreal people.
Jun 25, 2016 1:24 PM

Nov 2009
Maz said:
flannan said:

"Does it matter if the language I'm speaking is understood by other people when discussing? I see no issue at all making up new meanings of exisiting words on the spot."

I dunno, I find it hard to believe someone could seriously suggest there isn't a problem with arbitrarily throwing out random words and making up their meaning without any rhyme or rhythm. You don't even know who you're disparaging yet you're claiming they're suspicious, unreal people.

My claim is descriptive, not prescriptive. On these forum, "elitists" mean a particular group of users who may or may not be elitists according to Wikipedia's definition. But they claim to like "elitist shows", and are being obnoxious about it.
Jun 25, 2016 1:24 PM

Nov 2013
I have HxH 2011 (score 10) and Bleach (score 1) in my list..
am I elitist, I don't care..
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 25, 2016 2:07 PM

Apr 2015
kamisama751 said:

That they got sh*t taste?

Well as long as they can elaborate on why they consider it as a good properly, I won't say they have a shit taste. (Elaboration>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything)
Here's some of that reviews of Elfen Lied by some top reviewers on this site here that said so:
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=162181
http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=3299
Jun 25, 2016 2:31 PM

Jul 2015
No, not really, I like a wide variety of different anime series of different genres, I'll watch any type of series if it's interesting enough to me, it isn't pretentious at all, I just want to be entertained, that's all.
Jun 25, 2016 2:42 PM

Apr 2014
I think it is a sign that someone has a wide range of taste and can find positives about a variety of shows that differ thematically and atmospherically from another. I actually prefer seeing those kind of lists to the ones that only feature one or two genres.
Personally I try to diverse my favorites and not just put the 10 best shows I watched. (otherwise I would have like all the Mushi-shi entries up there and that would be boring) All in my current list are still all 10s in my book but do reflect the types of anime I enjoy better.
Jun 25, 2016 5:28 PM

Jun 2016
If it was a "hot" guy then the story would be other.
Jun 25, 2016 6:28 PM

Mar 2014
It's pretentiousness of you're including "bad" shows to show how wide your horizons are. Pretty much everyone loves The Tatami Galaxy and LoGH, so it's my surprising to see them in anyone's favorites regardless of whatever else is on there.
Jun 25, 2016 6:30 PM

May 2015
flannan said:

The argument here is that an anime can have an elitist fanbase but it can't be an elitist anime, and if an anime has an elitist fanbase that doesn't necessarily everyone who watches it an elitist.

Being elitist is about the attitude people hold, it's about acting superior to others. Anime doesn't hold attitudes, it's not sentient, it's animation, it's a medium.

And there aren't a group of anime that is completely and entirely going to be enjoyed by only one group of people, and even if that was the case, (by the way that realistically can never can be the case in an anime this popular), and elitist were the only people who watched LOGH or Lain--an anime still cannot be "elitist".

Watching shows elitists watch does not make a user an elitist, because there is no such thing as an elitist anime.

An anime can attract elitist because of qualities it holds, and a similar anime with similar qualities can attract elitist too, they still can't be elitist anime.

Yes, because this community is billions of users to short to use otherwise never-used definitions of pre-existing words. And people in MAL have been making up different definitions of elitist since at least May 2015, and then it become a issue of people using different definitions of the word and confusing each other.
ashfrliebertJun 25, 2016 6:33 PM
Jun 25, 2016 6:30 PM

Mar 2016
Your favorites can be your favorites for any reason. Consistency isn't a requirement by any means.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 25, 2016 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
Is this bait? if not, OP clearly wants one kind of answer
Jun 25, 2016 9:58 PM

Nov 2009
ashfrliebert said:
The argument here is that an anime can have an elitist fanbase but it can't be an elitist anime, and if an anime has an elitist fanbase that doesn't necessarily everyone who watches it an elitist.

Indeed. That's exactly the reason I consider OP's favorites list to be a proper one - it does include some "elitist" anime, but does include anime outside the elitist list. This is evidence the OP thinks for himself.
Jun 25, 2016 10:01 PM

May 2016
Shrabster said:
Does there always have to be an agenda behind a person's favorite list?

There is always an agenda for everything.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you like anime about any sport or sports anime in general?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

30 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Sep 19

62 by nanashi796 »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite opening (or ending) of an anime you haven't seen

Phantomtroupe97 - 2 hours ago

10 by Zimmu »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 3 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

105 by Yuissi »»
9 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Yesterday

28 by IKKIsama »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.