Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2016 9:58 AM

Jul 2014
MegaShadowFist said:
straggy said:
I can't believe so many people were satisfied by this ep... I really felt bad for the empire after seeing this shit. The JSDF know what this world is like... Yeah, Zorzal's not a nice guy, but he's playing by his world's rules. Blaming the emperor and Pina (who don't even understand fully why they're so mad), butchering a bunch of soldiers they know can't defend themselves, beating the shit out of a royal of a country you're meant to be at peace with, and bombing their government building is going way beyond overkill. Japan might as well just nuke everything beyond the portal if they're gonna act like this every time a medieval society does anything slightly medieval lmao. This isn't heroic, it's barbaric. Help a less developed society grow and learn, don't beat them into submission.

Interesting discussion point. I think that you're looking at this a bit too...logically though. The point of this wasn't to be heroic or inspiring. It just was. They weren't pulling any punches. And the scene was shot in such a way to make it seem more like a slaughter-fest than a heroic deed. In fact, at the very end of the scene, the king mentioned just how destructive the attitude that the JSDF has can be.

If the other-worlder's should be free of blame for acting too "medieval" than I believe that the JSDF should be free of blame for being too "modern." However, in this case, neither should be free of blame. Was Itami right for issuing an order to fire at will on soldiers and having one of his troops beat a prince senseless in the throne room? With a nation that Japan is supposed to making peace with no less? Of course not. And the anime was very aware of that, even mentioning that under normal circumstances, he would be in a lot of trouble.

But, is the prince free of blame simply because he is ignorant to how things work outside of his own? Well, that's a discussion point for a different thread. In any case, I personally don't think that he's undeserving of a beating for his actions. In real life, the monarchy of many nations during the middle ages was very corrupt. But I doubt that they were considered "just" even for their standards. They knew what they were doing was wrong. They just didn't care, and did what they wanted simply because they could. The prince falls into that same category. I think to assume that things like this was "ok" simply because that's how things were back then sort of denies the humanity of the people of that age, if that makes sense.

This is pretty strong analysis.
Jan 16, 2016 10:00 AM

Feb 2015
That beating and that punch made me feel a lot better about this second season.
The first one started nicely, but the second made me cringe at the first two episodes...
Jan 16, 2016 10:15 AM

Apr 2014
Good episode where actually something important happened, to bad that there weren't any aftershocks from the earthquake. It would've been even better if they occurred during the fight where that chick went fucking nuts.
Jan 16, 2016 10:17 AM

Apr 2014
AllenUchiha said:
So the bunny girl is an official M? She protected the Prince who bangs, slaps and beats her?
I call that masochism, good ol' masochism.
Jan 16, 2016 10:22 AM

Jan 2014
A lot of butthurt logicists on here.

Weren't we taught in our high school days just how cruel the medieval oppressors were? Didn't anyone just go "What an asshole" when they hear their numerous feats of cruelty? Same case can be said here. Medieval guy was an asshole therefore it makes me wanna punch him and therefore, Itami did. It doesn't matter if it's normal or not in their world, what matters is it exists way off of modern day etiquette and is seen an act of cruelty that deserves someone getting a beating. This is all on emotional grounds and nationalist (or "world-ist") pride. Why do you think there was no Hiroyuki Sawano hero-music playing? Because it's a slaughterfest, not retribution.
That's why Itami took no pride in what he did and considered his punishments. Because what he did wasn't right.

eslej said:

Like you said, whoever has the power make the rules. They wanted to know about the kidnapped japaneses. Prince refuses to answer risking the consequences. Doesn`t matter if slavery is ok in their world, neither JSDF nor the goverment needs to give a shit what it is ok to them. When facing an overwhelming power, you comply with their demands or die.

Spot on, mate. Precisely that!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2016 12:11 PM

Feb 2015
DAMMIT THIS EPISODE! who expect that girl is from japan? that is the one that i really want to know because they show it on the PV, but damn! i feel bad for her. i don't even want to imagine how he treats her. please just kill the prince already.
the bunny, i have got a bad feeling about the bunny after seeing the PV for the next episode.

Milk_is_Special said:
AllenUchiha said:
So the bunny girl is an official M? She protected the Prince who bangs, slaps and beats her?

yeah, i just realize that too after watching this episode.
from the first episode, i feel bad for her, but now, fuck you, bitch!
YizelTroJan 16, 2016 12:15 PM
Jan 16, 2016 12:25 PM
Nov 2012
Milk_is_Special said:
AllenUchiha said:

Jan 16, 2016 12:54 PM

Jan 2015
The bunny is really getting on my nerves but still I liked how the Japanese Army took down The Prince. Having 1 single girl take down his elites and him. But c'mon they make it seem like Japan is the strongest country beyond The Gate which pisses me off
Jan 16, 2016 1:04 PM
Aug 2015
As #13 said above i love Rory but as she is doing nothing for now in this second season i am shocked by that cool Kurabayashi behavior, there is maybe a change of girls in my favorite character top :D

And i also loved how it was not only a girl, but the shortest girl and apparently the weaker of the whole crew who got that asshole rekt.
KaxyOPJan 16, 2016 1:11 PM
Jan 16, 2016 1:13 PM

Feb 2015
and i forgot to mention this
that bunny girl said this
"Not only you did save her(the japanese girl that was being slaved by the prince) from being shared by multiple men, you gave her the privilege of being chosen by you"
^
is that what i think it is ?
i just still can't belive it.
Jan 16, 2016 2:00 PM

Nov 2014
Fuck yeah, that blondie prince got his ass kicked hard lol
error5000Jan 16, 2016 2:06 PM
Jan 16, 2016 2:40 PM

Jan 2016
One more note: Tuka and Noriko may get closure next episode and it is unfortunate, Kurokawa is only qualified as both a nurse and field medic.
Elementary my dear Watson, Elementary...
Jan 16, 2016 3:27 PM

Dec 2012
Not enough Rory ...
Except that, it was a wonderful episode. Itami's reaction and the Kuribayashi's smile were perfect :)
Jan 16, 2016 3:30 PM

May 2015
when itami punch to dat bastard, like "wow that's so fuckin brilliant"
Jan 16, 2016 3:51 PM

Mar 2013
Have they find anymore Japanese slave he would have been shot.
Jan 16, 2016 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Meh. far less brutal than the manga but i understand that they can't put everything on the screen
Jan 16, 2016 6:05 PM

Jan 2014
Great episode but for the preview of the next episode it looks like that Bunny chick is psycho. Im guessing she has mental problems from being with the prince for so long, maybe even before that. Next episode looks to get into that.

Also I really love this anime and was thinking about the LN or Manga, what does everyone prefer? Or is the LN's even translated?
"It's not about the underwear, but what lies beyond it, beyond the reach of man, and carries the dreams of all men"
-Hyoudou Issei
Jan 16, 2016 6:43 PM

Aug 2007
Itami and Kuribayashi are GODS
Jan 16, 2016 8:15 PM

Dec 2009
Choo choo, all aboard the "asshole got what he deserved" train!

"Please keep in mind that our nation and our world have a long, bloody history that far surpasses your own." - best line.
GenesisAriaJan 16, 2016 8:20 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 16, 2016 8:19 PM
Jun 2013
When this discussion thread was first posted, in the first five minutes, there was a total of 36 posts. Now the posts are skyrocketing. This anime is something.

OrangeJP said:
Piece of shit got what he deserved

Agreed, personally enjoyed see this, in terms of combat, Zorzal is just a street punk fighting against a martial art master.

I thank Itami for doing such a nice punch; his anime version makes Itami look a lot stronger.

The anime was able to compensate, to a degree, by providing good fight scenes. Still, there is a lot of stuff that they edit out; I still can’t believe I waited so long and, after watching this, it feels a bit unsatisfying (like the One Piece: Nami OVA, I hope a remake is made). I seriously wanted to see Zorzal’s agony, not to mention his injuries were supposed to be a bit worst. Along with that, in the manga, the Emperor’s face was supposed to have a “what the f*ck have I done declaring war against Japan” after seeing the machine gun; sadly they edit that out. Not to mention people, in the Empire, are supposed to panic by saying the bombing, and the earthquake, was all divine punishment.

(sigh) And, in the manga, Pina’s speech was supposed to be more profound while the anime didn’t get to reach that same magnitude. Come on animators, Pina is a good heroine, make her speak like one.
Jan 16, 2016 8:30 PM

Dec 2009
One fallacy in this anime: even in medieval times, sword arts were serious business. None of this swashbuckling nonsense movies tend to show off. There were many sophisticated and masterful weapons and styles throughout the world. The ones everyone's most familiar with are just like your M16's . . they're standard issue military arms good for mass production, not high performance specialized gear. But when you look outside of what was whipped together for the swarm warfare, anything besides when they marched the armies, there was a lot more interesting things happening.

If even a highly trained soldier of today went to fight a feudal era warrior without use of firearms, they may even be at a disadvantage due to how martial arts lost their edge due to modern obsolescence. The modern martial arts are often revived arts, as opposed to surviving martial arts from the past. So in the real world that isn't full of mooks and glory to the producer/consumer's nation, Kuribayashi would be overwhelmed by a couple guards in melee combat.

They really should all just be yelling "NIPPON BONZAI!"(long live japan) Cuz this anime is overglorifying japan lol.

Protip: any of that LARPy combat stuff you see isn't realistic either, cuz none of them know proper form or how to actually aim for kills.
GenesisAriaJan 16, 2016 8:44 PM

Jan 16, 2016 8:58 PM
Jun 2013
GenesisAria said:

If even a highly trained soldier of today went to fight a feudal era warrior without use of firearms, they may even be at a disadvantage due to how martial arts lost their edge due to modern obsolescence. The modern martial arts are often revived arts, as opposed to surviving martial arts from the past. So in the real world that isn't full of mooks and glory to the producer/consumer's nation, Kuribayashi would be overwhelmed by a couple guards in melee combat.

really? Hard to say; true, most martial arts have deteriorated, in terms of strength where martial arts is mainly used as a form of discipline or to provide basic self-defense, and the only "real" martial artists would be the Shaolin Monks. Of course, military training is no joke, and Kuribayashi likely has lots of experience in terms of combat. At best, Zorzal and his thugs know pankration; however, they are likely the type that focus mainly on pure strength as compared to martial art skill.
Jan 16, 2016 8:58 PM
Nov 2012
greed2 said:
The anime was able to compensate, to a degree, by providing good fight scenes.

Kuribashi's approach to fighting just isn't realistic. Too much bayonet, which, against multiple opponents with swords, is a bad move. When she dodged Zorzal's punch, she ducked, he overreached her, he was off balance, and she was in a great position for a judo throw, putting him on the floor using his momentum. But no, she lets him recover his balance and then punches him.

Her gun tactics are much better - 3-round bursts at each target.

In the manga, after Zorzal gets clobbered and the JSDF group is leaving, more guards show up. Kuribashi pulls out a hand grenade, but the Emperor tells the guards to stand down.
Jan 16, 2016 9:04 PM

Feb 2013
That was an unexpected turn of events.

It was nice to see some Kuribayashi action again.
Jan 16, 2016 9:58 PM

Nov 2015
don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but the anime is based on the light novel, the manga added the gore and shit after the source material was already finished
Jan 16, 2016 10:43 PM

Feb 2011
So, when are they bring back the dark elf? She should know that our MC is back in town by next episode.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Jan 16, 2016 11:39 PM

Dec 2015
PukingMachines said:
don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but the anime is based on the light novel, the manga added the gore and shit after the source material was already finished

Thank you, I suggested this earlier but I have no real knowledge of the original.

I tried elsewhere without success, so: does anyone read the novels? is there a translation? does an english version of the "non-edited" web-novels exist?
Jan 16, 2016 11:48 PM
Jul 2014
GenesisAria said:
One fallacy in this anime: even in medieval times, sword arts were serious business. None of this swashbuckling nonsense movies tend to show off. There were many sophisticated and masterful weapons and styles throughout the world. The ones everyone's most familiar with are just like your M16's . . they're standard issue military arms good for mass production, not high performance specialized gear. But when you look outside of what was whipped together for the swarm warfare, anything besides when they marched the armies, there was a lot more interesting things happening.

They really should all just be yelling "NIPPON BONZAI!"(long live japan) Cuz this anime is overglorifying japan lol.

Protip: any of that LARPy combat stuff you see isn't realistic either, cuz none of them know proper form or how to actually aim for kills.

You're not thinking about how combat oriented soldiers are trained in a modern setting. While I won't say their training for their solders wasn't rigorous in the Era of swords and shields and spears, our soldiers today are no joke either. And in fact, martial training was a symbol of status as well. Most soldiers got a basic "swing at your enemies and stab them with the pointy end" in terms of training since most were likely conscripts while the elite few were privileged to train under different masters. As well, they show in the show how she empties multiple rounds into people in an off scene of many spent magazines around her, but since this is an animation and needs to be somewhat flashy to keep your attention, they focus more on the hand to hand combat that she is very good at.
Jan 17, 2016 12:16 AM

Mar 2014
Gotta say, seeing that prince get his ass handed to him was most satisfying.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 17, 2016 1:00 AM

Jun 2015
Madara22 said:
. But c'mon they make it seem like Japan is the strongest country beyond The Gate which pisses me off

Well Japan is a very strong country.
Jan 17, 2016 1:54 AM

Apr 2011
Haha. Japanese talking talking about taking good care of their prisoners. Cough (WWII never happened).

Everything fell out of Pina control, she wanted to settle everything peacefully. I totally love the prince beating scene. Its just sad the bunny girl has stockholm syndrome attachment to the prince and I didn't know there was another prince in the family. He probably no good either. Maybe Pina marries Itami and he gets control of the kingdom?
Jan 17, 2016 2:30 AM

Jan 2014
I found it funny when itami was like "this earthquake is nothing" Pina had the "Im falling for this crazy guy" expression. Lol.
"It's not about the underwear, but what lies beyond it, beyond the reach of man, and carries the dreams of all men"
-Hyoudou Issei
Jan 17, 2016 2:48 AM

Mar 2013
vansonbee said:
Haha. Japanese talking talking about taking good care of their prisoners. Cough (WWII never happened).

I feel like you're joking about this but some Japanese people genuinely do believe the rest of the world is lying about WWII, Japan is perfect, and that any media that acts like this isn't the case is slanderous bs. Anime that portrays Japan's role in WWII as anything like the truth often gets complaints. It's like those people that say the holocaust didn't happen all over again.
Jan 17, 2016 4:33 AM

Feb 2008
Good work, Itami and Kuribayashi. Salute! Now, someone ought to deal with that Tyuule person, that smirk in the preview was a tad creepy...

Plenty of military hardware action as well, right up my alley!
Jan 17, 2016 5:09 AM

Sep 2014
I just love this anime ^^
But hopefully elf-girl will stop the dad-thing after next ep.
Its just a bit annoying after one whole season..
Also where is the dark elf?
ahh doesnt matter.
Want Season 3 already.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 17, 2016 5:16 AM

Nov 2015
Rei366 said:
PukingMachines said:

Thank you, I suggested this earlier but I have no real knowledge of the original.

I tried elsewhere without success, so: does anyone read the novels? is there a translation? does an english version of the "non-edited" web-novels exist?

there's a fan translation out there, but they're still far from finishing it.
Jan 17, 2016 5:17 AM

Oct 2014
BRUTAL. And this is the toned down version? Most satisfying episode I've seen of anything in quite awhile. Quite the implications for the future though, poor Pina is super screwed for the future. Episode one was a bit weird to get back into the groove but I'm really looking forward to how the rest of the season goes from here!
Jan 17, 2016 5:30 AM

Oct 2011
Wait... this kind of doesn't make sense.
So they kidnapped those people BEFORE main invasion - which would mean someone had to go through that gate (let's forget about fact that it should be rather noticeable) like in Mario Bros movie.
They might not know language but weren't they able to see rather big difference in technology - on their side horses and buildings made from sh*it on the other big city, machines and all that stuff?

Unless it's case of their military just ignoring that intel and going with "we'll manage somehow" attitude.
Jan 17, 2016 6:08 AM
Dec 2015
Bunny Girl has a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome.
i thought she would have been someone the good guys would rescue. turns out she's not.
and when will they get to the dark elf and her dragon problem that is currently or maybe already finished wiping out her entire village?
Jan 17, 2016 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Sunomeow said:
Bunny Girl has a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome.

That's not the case. If it were, or if she was just a masochist, I would actually like her.
Jan 17, 2016 9:12 AM

Dec 2009
greed2 said:
GenesisAria said:
really? Hard to say; true, most martial arts have deteriorated, in terms of strength where martial arts is mainly used as a form of discipline or to provide basic self-defense, and the only "real" martial artists would be the Shaolin Monks. Of course, military training is no joke, and Kuribayashi likely has lots of experience in terms of combat. At best, Zorzal and his thugs know pankration; however, they are likely the type that focus mainly on pure strength as compared to martial art skill.
Royalty doesn't walk around with infantry. Royal guards got the finest training to protect their lords. You can see plenty examples of significant martial arts that have resemblance of those of the past, but keep in mind that it's aged andt some of the philosophy is lost, and even the best of today probably won't compare to the best of the past.

Sparktrog said:
GenesisAria said:
You're not thinking about how combat oriented soldiers are trained in a modern setting. While I won't say their training for their solders wasn't rigorous in the Era of swords and shields and spears, our soldiers today are no joke either. And in fact, martial training was a symbol of status as well. Most soldiers got a basic "swing at your enemies and stab them with the pointy end" in terms of training since most were likely conscripts while the elite few were privileged to train under different masters. As well, they show in the show how she empties multiple rounds into people in an off scene of many spent magazines around her, but since this is an animation and needs to be somewhat flashy to keep your attention, they focus more on the hand to hand combat that she is very good at.
Again we're talking about the infantry used to bloat numbers in swarm warfare. The knights and cavalry and other specialized combatants got serious training. It depended on your nation and army i guess, but there are plenty of accounts of smaller armies defeating larger ones due to better tactical training and strategy use.

You should study up on how the chinese did warfare. I don't know as much about the west, but it wasn't retardsville compared to china; they were behind in warfare intelligence, but not that far. Some of their stuff puts a lot of famous western wars to shame. Watch the Red Cliff movies if you want a somewhat reasonable representation of what warfare would really be like.

But yeah anyways, modern military does train melee pretty good, but it's very crude in comparison to warfare that actually revolved around this. There were blade arms races, and technique arms races... Melee combat in modern military is more of an emergency thing. The did use bullets, that part was good, but she wouldn't be that much better than them in melee, even if she was super lucky, she wouldn't come out unscathed. Arts like iaijutsu are examples of remnants of true styles that actually aim to effectively out-maneuver and dispatch an enemy, rather than aimlessly swinging at an enemy or aiming for their weapons. In a single move a talented blade user could at the very least sever your hand in the follow-through of a parry; if not completely avoid and land a killing strike. In a way bladed weapons are actually better at killing than bullets too, they just don't have the range. You could take a bullet to the head and still not die.

That scene was very much a hammy "girl pride" and "nippon bonzai". In the real world, give her a sword and she would have died in that situation.
GenesisAriaJan 17, 2016 9:29 AM

Jan 17, 2016 9:26 AM

Jul 2011
also on the topic of fighting techniques, it must be noted that the jsdf never, and i say NEVER fought before the gate event(and that has beens shown in other war animes like zipang as well)
they have on their part technology and culture, but their enemy have on theirs combat experience.

i thought it was pretty obvious that kuribayashi's fight was just to build up hype and not to show the actual jsdf potential...

if you remember the multi-national attack to itami in S1, the americans also said "god, i thought the guys of the jsdf were as weak as they could get!"(or something along those lines) referencing the fact that the jsdf has no actual combat experience, in fact, they made it through that fight just because there was mass confusion.
Jan 17, 2016 9:29 AM

Dec 2009
Ya it was, it was for the sake of getting everyone to go "yay! you go girl!"
Ditto, the other world people got the experience.

PS: bayonets are horrible for swordfighting.
PPS: in the past, a lot of bulk infantry used various polearms - spears, pikes, halberds. Those with swords needed to be well trained to compete with weapons that out-classed theirs. But a sword could be kept on you and easily drawn like a sidearm.

you could think of it this way:
Polearm = assault rifle or machine gun
Sword = pistol
Long-bladed sword = smg
Bow = bolt action rifle
GenesisAriaJan 17, 2016 9:46 AM

Jan 17, 2016 9:43 AM
Oct 2012
greed2 said:
Along with that, in the manga, the Emperor’s face was supposed to have a “what the f*ck have I done declaring war against Japan” after seeing the machine gun; sadly they edit that out. Not to mention people, in the Empire, are supposed to panic by saying the bombing, and the earthquake, was all divine punishment.

(sigh) And, in the manga, Pina’s speech was supposed to be more profound while the anime didn’t get to reach that same magnitude. Come on animators, Pina is a good heroine, make her speak like one.

First, you misread the Emperor's face: he was excited to see such weapons in action, not scared. Remember he was well aware at what happened at the first battle, and his response was to send the second army in to get massacred, so he knew of the weapons, he was merely interested to finally see them. That is why he still could confront the Japanese afterwords.

Second, nothing was lost in not showing that single panel of the king. A manga can do that because its restriction is space, whereas the restriction in animation is time. It would have taken several seconds to add that scene, seconds the show really doesn't have. It added nothing, so why show it?

Same with nearly everything else cut out. The question isn't "why did they cut", the question is "what would be gained by showing" because the animators have to approach the problem that way. Now I think there would have been some gain in showing multiple girls being dragged, because it would have shown that the JSDF is willing to overlook a lot as long as it doesn't directly affect them, and because it also would have better highlighted the personality of the Prince (both his strengths and weaknesses). Also because it wouldn't have added any more time to the show, just a different animation.

In that Pina doesn't feature too prominently for the remainder of the animated arc, it would have been a waste to build her up any more. They can do that next season when she features more importantly.
Jan 17, 2016 9:55 AM
Oct 2012
straggy said:
I feel like you're joking about this but some Japanese people genuinely do believe the rest of the world is lying about WWII, Japan is perfect, and that any media that acts like this isn't the case is slanderous bs. Anime that portrays Japan's role in WWII as anything like the truth often gets complaints. It's like those people that say the holocaust didn't happen all over again.

No one of any consequence in Japan thinks that way - the idea that Japanese textbooks "whitewash" history is a myth, likewise there are tons of cheap Japanese history books (and popular comic books) that fully cover what the country did.

Are there some ultra-nationalists scream about such things? Sure, as there are in every country. Japan is little different here.

Now there is a growing movement in Japan that think that Japan's villainy is being overstated and that Korea and China are exaggerating to take advantage of things, but that something very different, and to be frank there is some truth to that. A good deal of historical revision is needed concerning WWII, but that likewise is something different.
Jan 17, 2016 10:11 AM

Dec 2009
Japan fought valiantly in WWII. From their perspective they were righteous. Ofc like any war, things go sour. Japan was old fashioned when competing with the rest of the world. Conquest as a form of forced peace was not valid anymore. They went into all that with vastly different morals, and due to lack of understanding in the westerners, it's seen as savagery. However the japanese saw the westerners (europeans/americans) as savages for their boorish and overly self-righteous aggressive behaviour.

USA over-villainizes it's enemies and glorifies itself (even if it didn't do much). It's just what they do. Pretty much everyone except american citizens know this. (brits+canadians&russians won ww2 not usa; usa caused the problems in the middle east; the list can go on) The common public perspective is largely driven by media, and who's sitting on top of the media? usa. So yes, the mid-east, and the far east, and the northeast, are all over-villainized and misunderstood. It's been going on since forever: different mindsets aren't comprehending eachother and see the other as bad, it happens on all sides. It's all unfortunate miscommunication and disagreement creating enemies.

From my exposure, japan is(was) one of the best warlike nations of the world, because they had a tendency to thoroughly contemplate their moral reasons for doing things.
GenesisAriaJan 17, 2016 10:21 AM

Jan 17, 2016 10:27 AM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
Japan fought valiantly in WWII. From their perspective they were righteous.

Not quite, most Japanese know that they went too far. But yes, they still have a great deal of pride in their country.

GenesisAria said:
USA over-villainizes it's enemies and glorifies itself (even if it didn't do much). It's just what they do. Pretty much everyone except american citizens know this.

True, however you are underestimating how the rest of the world does it worst. That said, yes the US does have a lot of things to account for in starting the Pacific War. Many of the Japanese reactions from 1888 - 1939 were in reaction to US actions, neglect, or double standards.

GenesisAria said:
(brits+canadians&russians won ww2 not usa;

Not true. Without massive US aid the Soviets would have lost. And second to Hitler, Stalin deserves the blame for starting the war - so the USSR deserves no credit for helping to "end" it. The UK and USA won the war.

GenesisAria said:
usa caused the problems in the middle east; the list can go on)

Again not true. The vast majority of problems in the Middle East are caused by Middle Easterners. The French and British also did their damage in the between war period. The US certainly did not help, but in assigning blame they are pretty far down the list.
Jan 17, 2016 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Fantastic episode! 5/5!!

I like how Itami punched that scum prince.
I like how the JSDF crushed the medieval forces.
I like how Shino punched the scum prince to a pulp.
EXCELLENT!!!
Jan 17, 2016 11:45 AM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
Not quite, most Japanese know that they went too far. But yes, they still have a great deal of pride in their country.
I already said that: Like any war, it goes sour.

Takuan_Soho said:
True, however you are underestimating how the rest of the world does it worst.
Eh, it's not really worse, it's more that the american viewpoint spreads like cancer because of the media dominance. Thus it turns into a ganging up on people scenario.

Takuan_Soho said:
Not true. Without massive US aid the Soviets would have lost. And second to Hitler, Stalin deserves the blame for starting the war - so the USSR deserves no credit for helping to "end" it. The UK and USA won the war.
That's a topic that ends up going on and on forever. But from every angle i tackle it from, UK+colonies did the ass kicking on the western front, and USSR was pushing their end hard. Whenever i've heard from Europeans on the subject, i'm usually told that USA may have been there, but they weren't very helpful, and did a lot of credit taking for places cleared out by other forces (there were places liberated by canadian forces alone, as UK itself was running dry), giving the impression that USA was largely helpful. USA was mostly fighting Japan, and Japan was holding their own too. USA didn't become really powerful until the Cold War era.

Takuan_Soho said:
Again not true. The vast majority of problems in the Middle East are caused by Middle Easterners. The French and British also did their damage in the between war period. The US certainly did not help, but in assigning blame they are pretty far down the list.
Another long ramble, but i didn't mean they wend in there and started picking a fight necessarily, it was more proxy agitation. Meddling about and leaving behind messes which blow up in their faces.

Though to the episode, i'd rather see some cases where the medieval people actually can give the SDF a run for their money and not keep being cannon fodder like masochistic morons. Just because they had less sophisticated weaponry, doesn't mean they were moronic barbarians. Most fiction just shows them as charging all their warrior into the enemy blindly with no strategy or anything: it's false and rather demeaning.
GenesisAriaJan 17, 2016 11:49 AM

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Season 3? ( 1 2 )

AshAkinola - Mar 25, 2016

57 by DaThorAkilia »»
May 22, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2016

136 by Jagermeister-kun »»
Mar 25, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

231 by Estefan »»
Jan 17, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

333 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 7:14 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

190 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.