Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Sep 15, 2018 8:20 PM

May 2018
Rewatched it since I thought my initial opinion (5/10) might have been a bit harsh.
So yeah,it got a second chance and it's way better than I had it in mind. A well done centered music anime with an overall likeable cast.

7/10

On to the second season I haven't watched yet even once.
Nov 16, 2018 5:56 AM
Nov 2018
I really hope they don't put Kumiko with that douchebag Shuichi because why the hell would they give us yuri fanservice for her and Reina?
Dec 22, 2018 11:25 PM

May 2017
Wow I loved this ending. This series was overall so gorgeous. I never played in band because the organizations were outside of school and my family didnt have any money for that, and as a kid, I didn't even know it was an option. But I remember sitting in school and listening to the orchestral performances when they would come by, and each time it was such a treat. I was always absolutely amazed at the hard work and how each instrument comes together to make such inspiring music. This anime reminds me that I really need to check out local orchestral bands. I love it so much. I also need to keep it open as an option for my future kidlets. I want my kids to have really interesting hobbies that they feel a passion for, and playing an instrument is fucking badass.
Great show. Can't wait to watch the next season. I love my gay girls♡
Feb 25, 2019 8:48 PM

Oct 2017
And this season ends with a great finale.

I really liked seeing all the very real emotions portrayed during the competition. Everyone was obviously nervous and it really showed.

Of course they played beautifully and got their gold. This time Reina cried tears of happiness❤️

Also, Taki looked extra dashing in his Tux👀

I can’t wait to watch the next season!
Apr 6, 2019 10:41 PM

Mar 2019
Beautiful last episode for the season, the art and music was really great in this. Quite enjoyed watching the characters practicing and progressing through this. Looking forward to the next season!
May 6, 2019 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
Really wonderful series. I love it so much. Kumiko is one of best anime girls!
Jun 13, 2019 4:23 PM

Apr 2015
Sound! Euphonium is a good series no doubt about that, I really enjoyed the band/music aspects of the series probably due to the relatable-ness of the series since I am pretty well-versed in the musical realm. I found strength in the musical aspect but also a weakness, or maybe it is just my own impatience due to my musical knowledge. I thought the tension between the characters was pretty good, but the relationship/love interest aspect was lacking. The drama was spectacular! The scenarios are very real and relatable. Personally, I didn't like the annoying-ness of every episode ending with the same line and annoying aspects of some of the characters that rubbed me the wrong way (partly due to their resemblance to people I know IRL lol). I wish the soundtrack or band pieces were better since this is a musical centered anime. Would still recommend this series though!
SugusatoJun 13, 2019 4:31 PM

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Jun 20, 2019 7:59 PM

Feb 2018
It seems that it is going well and high school Kitauji gets gold and continues to the Kandai championship. Good ending. Shuichi's relationship with Kumiko is equally romantic. Especially when Shuichi encouraged Kumiko.
Jul 30, 2019 1:56 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Stunning finale to wrap things up for this Amazing first season!

An Enchanting Performance, that from Kitauji High School! All of those close-up shots and the amount of detail spent into each and every shot was majestic, really! Hazuki's expression in awe there pretty much sums up my impression of it too! It's been a Stunning ride with Kumiko and all the other Characters, crazy admirable how Taki-sensei managed to bring out the best of this team too especially when considering how distorted it was initially. Even the cold-hearted Homeroom/Assistant teacher couldn't keep her tears in check lol. A big props to the buildup to the finale too with some enticing and lovely moments between the team. Especially liked the elbow tapping in the subway bit between Kumiko and Reina followed by the little hair tying scene and the Kumiko x Shoichi moments, on the other hand. It was nice of Team Monaca to come up with such a nice little idea too, they've truly become united now and it's honestly awesome to see that! Natsuki-senpai is seriously awesome too! Speaking of senpais, we got some odd little bit featuring Asuka there. I wonder what that's all about, is she leaving soon? Anyway, seems like that former classmate of Kumiko's in that elite school is cho-very nervous, hopefully this doesn't hint that they blew it.

And then those final few moments! Something about the expressions and tension really got to me too despite knowing that they'd obviously pass. I suppose that just goes to show how mesmerising this ride has been! Great to see how many of the events and especially the camera angles are in parallel to that of the first episode, it really just felt like a finale thanks to this through and through.

Overall, I'll award this show a well-deserved 9.30/10 but a considerate 9.50/10!
Can't wait to check out Season 2 now!

_MushiRock11_Sep 4, 2019 7:08 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 12, 2019 4:52 AM

Jun 2019
The animation is certainly high quality, no doubt that this is a KyoAni show. The plot was a bit flat at times, but the characters, and their development made up to some flaws. The music was also stunning, but i except no less from a show that uses music as it's main theme. Looking forward to S2 and Liz and the Blue Bird!
Dec 22, 2019 12:06 PM

Apr 2013
Of course they won gold, would've been a weird ending otherwise.

Good anime, one of the shows I always wanted to watch the next episode soon to see where it goes. Not an oustanding SoL anime though. 7/10
Mar 5, 2020 4:50 AM

Feb 2019
That was such an amazing and beautiful episode. The atmosphere was so intense that I too got tense watching it. A lot of cute moments here, especially Kumiko. That fist bump with Shuichi and that ponytail. Kumiko really does look cute in a ponytail. And that was probably the first time that we saw Asuka express any kind of emotion except excitement and anger.

I was really looking forward to the performance that they've been building up for the last 12 episodes, and it did not disappoint. I was mesmerised the whole performance and at certain points got goosebumps. Reina's solo was so beautiful that I almost got tears because of it. The look on Kaori-senpai's face was sad to see, but there was a bittersweet satisfaction to it. Like Kaori-senpai's really sad that she couldn't play it, but happy that Reina completely nailed it.

This anime has really made me interested in orchestras. And now I can't get enough of it. Also it's made me like such an unknown instrument that is the euphonium.

Looking forward to the second season. Would like to know what picture Taki-sensei was looking at.

Not sure how to score this, either a 9 or a 10. But I really loved this series. Definitely one of my favourites now!
Jun 7, 2020 10:23 AM

Sep 2018
Excellent episode that gives new lessons: dreams remain such if one does not firmly believe in it. The script puts all the energy to end the season in beauty, showing that in the end the character of Kumiko, who had shown that she was not sincere to the end, has a complete metamorphosis by accepting even beyond the love for the euphonium, even the relationship that binds him to the character of Tsukamoto. The narration is excellent in showing many small moments that together make the story very detailed on the characters' front. Not least there is a side so far not shown by the character of Askua that he also proves that he is not so distant from what happened around him. Natsuki and Yuuko do not stand by and put their contribution to this once again in history, decreeing their not so useless mention. A separate discussion must be made for the blue-haired girl, also a friend of Yuuko who remains a mere figure of contrno, but who in truth is only there to show herself later in a film of her own, that's why at the beginning she didn't he understood his being there. Great in this respect the plot. The direction lingers in the final part of the episode, almost as if to contrast with the beginning of the anime series, to make it clear now how Kumiko is involved in the context while before it was almost extraneous to it. Even Midori gets caught up in the tension, like the icy professor Michie who gets caught up in tears, I didn't expect a similar reaction from the two of them, what a surprise! Nice girls who make up the Monaka team, too bad they didn't have much space, although there is an episode for them, but objectively there is still little space to tell about them.

My vote is 8/10
Aug 7, 2020 6:00 AM
Apr 2019
finally ended.Kumiko has made some progress,she understands the pain of losing.

Excellent show 8/10
Aug 7, 2020 6:08 AM

Dec 2018
Yuri bait . And Imo this media is extremely hateful towards lesbians . Diminishing them saying they cant or shouldn't exist only heterosexuality can take place. And that homosexuality should be firmly looked in the closet

I truly dislike this anime and give it 1/10

Yuri-CrusaderAug 7, 2020 6:12 AM
Aug 9, 2020 11:57 AM
Apr 2019
Thinking of rewatching this show, honestly it has tons of good stuffs
Sep 6, 2020 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
Great performance and to see the club securing GOLD making its way to the nationals!
Really expected a moe slice-of-life series like K-on but this turned out to be more serious and dramatic than I expected. The production quality really was very high with some eye-catching scenes (does this studio even know what budgets for animation is?!?), looking forward to the rest of this series.

Sep 6, 2020 11:07 AM

Jul 2015
last time i cried like this was in your lie in April
Oct 18, 2020 5:59 AM
Jun 2020
it was fine for me idk why but the show is kinda easy to predict with but anyways its still a good show 6/10 or maybe 7 . nana and k-on is still better for me
KoyTashiOct 18, 2020 6:04 AM
Oct 24, 2020 3:41 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The pony tail is back HHHNNNNGGGGG

Initially my thoughts were that this was of course an overall good anime with some slight issues. Now I say scratch those slight issues and just label them as very minor nitpicks in the form of some scenes perhaps being a little too over dramatic. But what do I know, all I know is that these characters have a passion for what they do and it shows.

They captured the tension of the preparation before going on stage really well, and created a really great and realistic atmosphere in the hall as well when they started playing. Glad we got a fist bump between my ship and if nothing else am happy things aren’t awkward and that they’re true friends. Kaori’s (sorry if I’m getting the names wrong here) smile while kousaka was playing the solo was heart-warming as well, as if she knew that kousaka was the one who would’ve done it best all along.

Sometimes anime or any show in general will try to subvert your expectations and make you think you’re in for a feel good show but then it ends up that they’re team/band or whatever ends up not succeeding despite all their hard work. And usually they do it smart and use it to benefit the story and to deepen their characters as they continue to grow stronger in following seasons. I was initially thinking they were going to do that here to give us some cheap shock value.

But.... I didn’t expect to feel so happy when they DID get gold. Just going around showing the joy and relief on everyone’s faces just gave me so much joy as well. Everything leading up to this point was clouded in some melancholic atmosphere that our characters were trying to fight through. What we get is a satisfying conclusion of everyone together succeeding despite the rough patches they went through.

While it’s great and all, the story is not the most special thing in the world. Kind of is just your basic anime high school story, elevated immensely by stellar animation. I may sound harsh, but without this level of visuals I’d be compelled to just give this show a 6. A good enough decent story that gets the job done, but nothing altogether special. Kyoto animation alone elevates this to a 7 for me. A slightly more compelling story and this would’ve easily received an 8; which is already really high for me.

It’s easy to see how this series is almost universally loved by all. I hope they can continue this momentum into season 2 and give us an equal if not greater quality of an anime. 7/10

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 6, 2020 11:49 PM

Jan 2019
Shit gave me goosebumps at the end
Jan 22, 2021 1:00 PM

Feb 2020
first time rewatching it and when they got gold i cried hhh

i love hibike so much
Jan 23, 2021 10:38 PM
Sep 2019
I teared up at Reina's solo.

Those who didn't make it to the orchestra making talismans for those who did was sooo cute <3
Feb 7, 2021 5:00 AM

Feb 2020
Nice performance and final episode. 7/10.
May 17, 2021 2:37 PM

Feb 2020
Oh my gosh all that tension isn't god for me, I thought they didn't make it ! I'm so glad they did, they deserved it. And I wouldn't have stand to see those precious hard-workers suffering an heartbreak.

Well, that was a good show ! I wish the characters aside from Kumiko got more development but at the same time it is clear that wasn't the point of this season, so I'm not gonna start complaining. The whole thing about the competition, which was the show's main point, was done very nicely, I really felt the characters' emotions.

So I give it a 7 ! I hesitated because I generally give this score to shows I felt a little more involved in but it's not the show's fault, it really did a good job at what it wanted to do, it would be mean to lower the score, especially since I really liked it.

...Just one thing : they better give me more of Natsuki next season.
Nov 21, 2021 9:33 AM
Aug 2021
They achieved their goal! That performance was so good that it gave me the chills.

We finally got a proper Kumiko x Shuichi moment with that fist bump.

Overall a pretty good series. There wasn't a lot of plot but it was well-executed along with some wonderful animation as expected from Kyo ani. Kumiko's character was especially was well developed. I'll give it an 8.5
Feb 17, 2022 11:37 PM
Jun 2020
this is a good series but they focus too much on drama. I know it's the story of their struggles but theres too much drama that the musical elements of the show is lacking.
anyway, a very emotional last episode.
7/10
Apr 17, 2022 6:59 AM

Jul 2021
It was a stunning finale imo, they wrapped things up pretty nicely and concluded the season in the best way possible. The atmosphere during the performance was amazing, idk why I was getting nervous along with the characters XD (must be the magic of KyoAni). Reina's solo was beautiful, the finger animations, facial expressions and everything. Definitely 9.5/10 episode and overall I believe 8/10 for the anime although I may change it later since this was basically my first musical/school anime, so I dont really have a reference point to compare it to .

Now time to move forward on to the second season and specials/ova. (^w^)
I'm looking forward to see how they explain some of the stuff we didn't get an explanation for yet. Like getting to know more about sensei's past and who's photo that was at the end. Possibly some details regarding asuka as well since we frequently see hints that she's hiding something. And last but not least, kumiko x shuichi maybe ?? Idk I just prefer that over kumiko x reina, nothing against yuri ig, I just feel like the friends/rival dynamic suits them better.
Sep 11, 2022 7:43 AM
Mar 2021
I whacht it fore all the introments and i likt it
Sep 24, 2022 2:49 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The finale was beautiful and extremely emotional, they did really great and passed and even got the gold!!! That was the best finale we would hope! Loved it, and now it's up to the 2nd season that looks even better
Jan 15, 2023 8:27 PM
Jan 2022
I forgot whta it was like
May 15, 2023 10:00 AM

Jul 2021
this was so damn good. so satisfying. all of their hardwork paid off. so happy.

and well did kumiko play that difficult part with asuka or not? i couldn't catch it.

overall a great series with great characters, story, music and developments. even with only 13 episodes the pacing was pretty great, nothing felt rushed or slow. no time waste and we got right into the story and the world. really enjoyed this. 9/10.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 10, 2023 3:03 AM
Jan 2022
Damn i like it this episode
Aug 14, 2023 10:06 AM

May 2020
I don't know but somewhere within me I was expecting some anticlimactic result lol, I mean that's how it goes in the competitive events in anime right? They first lose but then qualify, something...

... though that being that, I'm glad all the effort and tension paid off in the end, and the club secured a gold as well as a place in the main competition. Not to mention, the performance was genuinely something you don't even want to miss a second of. So good for girls.. and the boys too, however few they were lol.

Main gripe is the overblown drama from time to time, when it was easily and genuinely possible to avoid most of it.

Though I liked the characters, most of them, and there's still plenty to tell about them, so there's that too. And lastly the production was OUT OF THIS WORLD. It's just Kyoto animation being Kyoto animation at the end of day. They're in their own league lol.

7/10.
Sep 20, 2023 7:04 PM
Dec 2019
É O APICE DO AUDIO VISUAL MUSICALZATIONS DA HISTÓRIA PORRA CARALHO PORRA
Dec 13, 2023 6:52 AM

Jan 2021
Oh my days this is an absolute banger. The Reina solo was incredible.
Jan 12, 7:26 AM
Jun 2023
A motivating anime
Feb 17, 9:09 AM

May 2021
From "Did you really think we would reach nationals?" to "I want to improve.", Kumiko sure came full circle, realizing her passive approach ain't gonna get her to the nationals. Awesome development.

Still don't know what happened to the second years though. They seem to be hyping that up a lot. It better not disappoint.

Oh, and Asuka, She's kinda mysterious.

Feb 28, 4:48 PM

Nov 2023
This entire series from the first scene to the last is the embodiment of what it means to be a performing artist at a competitive level. The tension was well orchestrated, married with the concept of ambition which elevated Kitauji to a whole new stratosphere. The internal battles and abrasive dynamics between members of the band ultimately galvanised them, like diamonds forming under immense pressure. Quite reasonably, anyone who watches this can expect to be inspired no matter their interests or expertise. I spent two weeks agonising before watching the last episode because I didn't want this season to end. I adore Hibike!. Onto season 2 and highly anticipating the trilogy in a little while. Thank you kyoani...
Feb 29, 1:31 PM

Apr 2014
Was a great rewatch! Visually and musically still stunning.
Mar 4, 4:45 AM
Nov 2023
Very good animation
Mar 18, 3:52 PM

May 2015
The gold... we did it !

This anime is also gold to. So much feelings.
Mar 24, 7:21 PM
Mar 2018
This show knows how to buil up the tension, that's for sure! I thought I was gonna pass out. The performance was beautiful, though!

I loved the little moments between Kumiko and Reina, and Kumiko and Shuuichi.
Mar 25, 2:03 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Not gonna lie. One of the best works of Kyoto Animation in my opinion. Hyped for the second and third season!
8/10
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 22, 1:02 PM
Aug 2021
Amazing series, one of the best I have seen by far! Looking forward to watching next seasons!
Apr 27, 7:55 PM
Aug 2015
The only part I didn't like that much was the fact that I don't find having a crush on teachers that are twice the age of highschoolers is good but as long as it remains platonic then that's fine :)
Wish Kumiko and Reina were Canon!!
May 24, 7:00 PM

Jun 2009
Kumiko was a very interesting character, felt very "real" and it was fun to watch her progress throughout the series. Reina and Asuka were interesting too and I really enjoyed the Kaori arc. Looking forward to season 2.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2015

135 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Jun 1, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2015

194 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 26, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

243 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 26, 4:18 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2015

206 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 18, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

454 by Max98 »»
Apr 29, 2:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.