Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 1, 2016 4:11 PM
Dec 2015
Personally, it's the same reason why i prefer watching a movie/tv over reading a book. I like seeing the characters move and it's enjoyable to visualize them in color and hear their voices :)
Jan 1, 2016 4:12 PM

Nov 2011
ItsMaz said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Preffering anime over manga is fine but I do quite often see people say anime is the superior medium though again they probably just mean in there opinion. But yes I agree both mediums have their own advantages some stories work better in one format than the other but I do feel most people on MAL are unfair to manga.

I suppose that's more from the way they state their opinion; people often put "This is better" when they mean to say "I prefer this".

I too often make a habit of stating my opinion as fact so I can't complain really.
Jan 1, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah, color, sound and movimient vs black & white text, you do the math.
Jan 1, 2016 6:13 PM
Dec 2015
I prefer to see the anime before reading the manga. I don't mind if the anime isn't as good the manga, as that gives me more reason to read. The voices also help me role play the characters. And I hate to already know what happens in a show, it completely ruins it for me.
Jan 1, 2016 6:42 PM

Jan 2014
Why? It is because anime is better in most aspects, simple as that.

The few advantages people sometimes mention for manga are not for any actual content but differences outside them.
Things like "more diversity" is pointless because the comparison is usually between the same content in different mediums. There is no advantage of a manga over an anime that doesn't even exist. There can be no comparison if there isn't an adaptation.
Some also mention being quicker to read which doesn't even make sense as an advantage to me. If you love something, you want to spend more time with it, not breeze through it like it's a chore.
Hardly any other supposed "advantages" can even be brought up beyond those.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 1, 2016 6:46 PM

Jul 2014
People are full of stupid questions today arn't they?
Jan 1, 2016 7:34 PM

Mar 2008
RedRoseFring said:
Why? It is because anime is better in most aspects, simple as that.

The few advantages people sometimes mention for manga are not for any actual content but differences outside them.
Hardly any other supposed "advantages" can even be brought up beyond those.
Not sure if serious.

"Better in most aspects," really? In what, the literal portrayal of movement? Well no kidding, one's animation and one isn't. The comparison there is the same sort as comparing the supposedly 'incomparable' unadapted works of each medium which you so disregard.

I might understand if you wanted to disregard the commercial/industry/production aspects of the respective mediums, but what you're essentially saying is that the two can only be compared via their corresponding adaptations? Do you actually not see how that completely disregards what each medium has to offer?

To begin with, even a direct comparison comes with countless variables. One is the direct creative vision, another is a reproduction with the advantage of reference to improve upon. A direct comparison of an adaptation to its source material is going to be variable affair with which only colour, sound, and some level of animation is guaranteed. I would be surprised if animanga fan of experience truly believed every anime superior to its manga or vice versa. So unless you're making a personal quantitative comparison (adding up those adaptations as anime you thought were better than manga), then strength in adaptations cannot be the only point from which you've weighed.

RedRoseFring said:
Some also mention being quicker to read which doesn't even make sense as an advantage to me. If you love something, you want to spend more time with it, not breeze through it like it's a chore.

No, the implication is so much greater than that. Being easier of access might be a personal view, but the real difference that this draws on is in the very nature of each medium.

The effect of being 'still' requires a different dynamic to an animated, 'cinematic' work. Yes, both draw on a combined set of visual and storytelling techniques, yes, many do essentially portray the exact same story. But that doesn't tell us the everything.

Animation creates a visual life through direct sequence overlaid upon itself; manga is a sequence spread out across pages. The very act of 'reading' illustration is different to 'reading' a cinematic.

With more complicated works, paneling becomes a major issue with manga - how does one section lead to another - how does the art guide the viewer? While anime might well use similar visual techniques in its control of the viewer's gaze, because it is kept to a single 'page', it is not beholden to the manga's layouts. Likewise, the layout of a manga and the dynamics of a page can therefore be wholly different to an animated viewing.

Yes, you hear many speak of 'manga as storyboards,' but that only literally applies in the most simplistic circumstances.

Do we not consistently have mentions of 'superior art' detail in manga? So many works do cannot be brought to screen in the exact form because of the difficulty in animation - is that important? Surely, for some works that change results in a notable change in character.

Is not it a shame when so often, anime studios cannot bring about a wholly 'live' work, and must resort to shortcuts and disguising pans to convey a perception of movement and life? Not that it can't be used for great effect. And yes, there are plenty of times when animation benefits or enhances a manga's actions, no one denies that. But to one-sidedly proclaim the superiority of anime and to unlist any "advantages" of manga? It bewilders me greatly.

I won't get into contention over the benefits of sound and colour, nor the ease of perception that comes with animation, as while I think there are qualities to both sides, it's certain that the majority has a preference for the more familiar and 'natural.'

But please, do not think that manga can be boiled down to something so crass as some kind of 'anime storyboard.'
Jan 1, 2016 7:36 PM

Mar 2015
you expect me to read something

way to much work
Jan 1, 2016 7:39 PM

Jul 2015
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.
This. It is a more fulfilling, use-all-your-senses experience. Manga is for the weak.
Jan 1, 2016 7:39 PM

Sep 2014
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

This guy said it all!
Anime stimulates more than one sense.
Jan 1, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2014
ffleader1 said:
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

This guy said it all!
Anime stimulates more than one sense.

You make it sound like you can touch & smell the characters lol.
Jan 1, 2016 8:41 PM

Dec 2015
My opinion is pretty much the same as everyone else's. As humans we are lazy (no offence to the human race in any way) and we will do anything to take the easy option, and in this case anime is the easy option. We don't want to read and look at black and white images, we want to look in awe at the stunning visuals of the anime we are watching. I don't read much manga but when I do its from time to time. What always go back to is the awesomeness of anime. LAZYNESS FOR THE WIN!
Jan 1, 2016 8:48 PM

Sep 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.

Anime has sound.

Anime has movement.

Yeah, its true but manga has atmosphere different than Anime. And story is better because Its the Original Source

When you watch anime like "Elfen Lied" you maybe say "Is it the ending?" but in manga you can read all of the story till finish
Jan 1, 2016 8:49 PM

Aug 2015
Why is TV more popular than books..

Laziness...

Imagination is overrated..
Jan 1, 2016 8:50 PM
Jan 2015
I love to read but I do not have the patience to wait for a manga update (worst cases, it might not update at all).

For most of the time, I love anime better but manga supplements it by filling up the holes that certain adaptation was not able to convey.
Jan 1, 2016 8:53 PM

Apr 2010
People don't want to find out that their favorite animu pales in comparison to the original content.
Jan 1, 2016 8:54 PM

May 2012
Because if an anime does what it is supposed to do, it elevates the manga. Sadly, that is rarely the case.
Jan 1, 2016 9:01 PM

May 2014
For me it all depends on what the manga is about and if the art is good. Manga is notorious for looking like shit compared to the anime, but having the better plot since it's the original.
Jan 1, 2016 9:06 PM

Jun 2014
I don't get manga. When I read, I like to imagine what the characters look like in my head like and create my own fantasy in my head which is pretty common when reading actual books.

So... anime has color/voices/etc.

Easy call.
Jan 1, 2016 9:38 PM

Nov 2011
Noirly said:
For me it all depends on what the manga is about and if the art is good. Manga is notorious for looking like shit compared to the anime, but having the better plot since it's the original.
Huh? No the manga usually has much better art than the anime. What kinda crack you've been smoking.
Jan 1, 2016 9:51 PM
Dec 2013
Because most people in the western world don't understand Japanese fluently and anime is something that subtitles can fix (bless subber teams)
Jan 1, 2016 9:53 PM

May 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Noirly said:
Huh? No the manga usually has much better art than the anime. What kinda crack you've been smoking.

The kind of crack that says most manga looks like shit to me and i'm picky
Jan 1, 2016 9:55 PM

Dec 2015
I used to read manga but when I watched anime I was like.....

MOVING PICTURES!!!
Jan 1, 2016 9:57 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Colored moving picture with sound beats black and white static picture and text all days

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 1, 2016 10:01 PM

Feb 2015
Noirly said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

The kind of crack that says most manga looks like shit to me and i'm picky

Jan 1, 2016 10:03 PM

Dec 2015
1- Full color

2- Movement

3- Story easier to understand and follow since it's being showed to you in progression , you are not going at your pace.

4- Voices that make the characters feel believeable , likeable and alive.
Jan 1, 2016 10:06 PM
Jul 2015
antonn said:
People don't want to find out that their favorite animu pales in comparison to the original content.

If you were to watch the anime not thinking of it as of a manga's clone, you'll see that your stereotypes will not influence you anymore and that you'll enjoy the anime more than the manga.

Sadly, I see that most of the anime/manga fans are like you with their fixation "Anime must follow the manga no matter what".

Saying that an anime is bad just because it doesn't entirely follow the manga it's the same with saying that a dish tastes crappy just because it was not your mother who cooked it but someone else. Which, no offense, I think it's pretty stupid
Jan 1, 2016 10:17 PM

Nov 2011
orario_ said:
antonn said:

If you were to watch the anime not thinking of it as of a manga's clone, you'll see that your stereotypes will not influence you anymore and that you'll enjoy the anime more than the manga.

Sadly, I see that most of the anime/manga fans are like you with their fixation "Anime must follow the manga no matter what".

Saying that an anime is bad just because it doesn't entirely follow the manga it's the same with saying that a dish tastes crappy just because it was not your mother who cooked it but someone else. Which, no offense, I think it's pretty stupid

I don't think anime should follow the anime completely however if the anime doesn't tell the whole story then yeah I'd prefer the manga.
Jan 1, 2016 10:21 PM

Mar 2008
orario_ said:
antonn said:

If you were to watch the anime not thinking of it manga's clone, you'll see that your stereotypes will not influence you anymore and that you'll enjoy the anime more than the manga.

And where are you pulling that from? Yes, there are many who follow that line of reasoning, but that does not make it the only, nor the most prevalent reason as to why source material can have an advantage over its adaptation.

antonn's post might've been rather provocative, but nowhere in his wording do I see indication of the straw-man at which you are whacking.

To me, the complaint that an anime fails to 'follow' the manga is generally derived from a failure to 'live up' to the source material. This of course results in disappointment and search for a culprit - which often enough turns out to be derivation from the trodden path. While some might only see so far as a deviation from the original telling, I think it's much more likely that the majority of manga > anime complaints are grounded in far more varied concerns.

In fact, it might be precisely because of sentiments voice in this thread, (anime is superior!) that we have people all the more likely to find disappointment in adaptation.
Anime should bring manga 'to life', and yet this isn't always as easy a task as it first seems. Sound, animation, and colour might be mandatory, but it does not mean that it will be executed fittingly. It is because source material familiar viewers have a point of comparison that their criticisms are more likely to be grounded in a failure to carry across some element found in the manga.

Now, that doesn't mean manga fans are always in the right, as they are just as likely to be fans - and therefore more engrossed, partisan, and emotionally attached, but it is because they have a pre-grounding in the material that they might more easily detect deficiencies in an adaptation.

Demanding an adaptation to abide strictly to the source material is short-sighted, but it also implies a lack of 'change' - no degrading in qualities. In a sense, that would be the ground expectation one would have for an adaptation - that one at the very least does not make a work worse.
The various differences between anime and manga obviously make direct comparison more difficult here, but surely we can agree that an ideal adaptation should improve on a work - particularly by making the most of the merits of its differing medium, if possible.

So I do not think any real fan wants a 1:1 adaptation - they want the best: a bettering. However, the base-line is that they might settle for at least an animated rendition of the same work - and that is why the complaint is made, rightful or not.
CkanJan 1, 2016 10:24 PM
Jan 2, 2016 5:24 AM

Sep 2013
babymimi said:

Which is weird because reading manga takes less time imo. As for me, I really love anime, the sound is obviously a huge factor but then again I listen to music while reading manga so... But in the end I don't know which one I like more. Lately I'm more into manga so I guess it depends on my mood. Also I don't understand the color argument in favor of anime, B&W is stunning, especially if the series has a great artstyle.

It's not a time issue with me. I just prefer the immerse myself into the story and I can do that a lot better with books than manga although I plan to read more manga in the future. This is also the reason why I never watch more than one completed anime in additional to currently aring ones so that I can concentrate myself on that story completely.
Jan 2, 2016 5:25 AM

Oct 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.<br />
<br />
Anime has sound.<br />
<br />
Anime has movement.

This
This
This

I find Manga fine, but anime way better
Jan 2, 2016 5:27 AM

May 2013
dadnaya said:
AltoRoark99 said:
Anime has color.<br />
<br />
Anime has sound.<br />
<br />
Anime has movement.

This
This
This

I find Manga fine, but anime way better

Pretty much all that needs to be said.
Apr 21, 2016 6:28 AM

Feb 2016
personally, i prefer read the manga for shounen with long episode (one piece, naruto, fairy tail, etc)
it simply because need more time to watch it.
Apr 21, 2016 6:40 AM

Jul 2015
They don't offer the same experience. That doesn't mean that one is superior to the other. Now it seems we're talking about anime vs manga version of the same story... and my only answer is: Don't listen to the mangafags. For them, everything that deviates slightly from the source material is heresy, doesn't matter if the source material is complete horseshit or even if it wasn't FUCKING RELEASED at the time the anime came out.

Source material purists are the worst people in that community. They just want to reread and rewatch the same boring shit over and over again, and anything that deviates slightly from their expectations is going to get a lot of flak.
Apr 21, 2016 6:42 AM

Jan 2016
This question kinda sounds like "How come people prefer movies over books?"...

Sounds, colors, animations, you can feel it whereas Manga is just reading
Apr 21, 2016 6:46 AM

Dec 2015
That is the dumbest question i have ever heard xD

Even if the manga is awesome, its still nothing compared to a freaking anime adaption xD
Well unless u go Rosario Vampire kinda route...then idk what to tell u
Apr 21, 2016 6:46 AM

Jul 2015
TheMoonServant said:
This question kinda sounds like "How come people prefer movies over books?"...

Sounds, colors, animations, you can feel it whereas Manga is just reading

Now that's just not true. It's already kinda pointless to make generalizations on manga vs anime subject, but books vs movie? They're so vastly different than it would be like asking "why people prefer video games over opera?". it's like, not the same thing AT ALL.

Generally speaking, a book takes a LOT more time than a movie so there's already that.
Apr 21, 2016 6:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
is this a serious question lol?

obviously

1. its animated

2. its in color

3. they talk

4. reading is boring

5. not every prioritizes the story

titties don't jiggle in manga, son
Apr 21, 2016 6:53 AM

Jun 2012
Because people lack imagination/focus and think color and sound automatically make anime better. Every now and then you get an anime that enhances the series it's adapting but it is rare.
Apr 21, 2016 7:05 AM

Oct 2015
Not serious answer : With anime your waifu now can talk, can "actually" move and it also has colour that aren't greyscale.
Sometime they may also dance/sing in front of you, great isn't it?

A bit serious answer : You can simply stay in front of your PC while eat something etc, missed something? Rewind it, simple.
Manga, otherwise, you must focus to read, then press right arrow to next page, or scroll in full page ch.
Apr 21, 2016 7:05 AM

Feb 2015
anime can move. has sound. has character voice.
manga only a drawing.
Apr 21, 2016 7:07 AM

Jul 2015
Tevens said:
anime can move. has sound. has character voice.
manga only a drawing.

While I kinda agree, you can have that too if you know how to read. I stopped reading everything as fast as possible with a monotonous inner voice a long time ago Oo.
Apr 21, 2016 7:11 AM

Sep 2015
Most people would rather watch TV than read a book
Apr 21, 2016 7:16 AM

Mar 2013
Anime gets more to work with inherently as a medium, that's the basic reason. It's also much easier to be exposed to as it is more mainstream in the west. Not to mention the west's inherent preference for moving picture as a factor.

Manga definitely has its perks, being cheaper to make, usually better paced and written, alongside being easy to absorb. However, overall Anime just makes for the more prominent medium of entertainment; with good reason.

This is just how I see it anyway.
Apr 21, 2016 7:18 AM

Jan 2016
Mamster-P said:
is this a serious question lol?

obviously

1. its animated

2. its in color

3. they talk

4. reading is boring

5. not every prioritizes the story

This just made my day, the truth has never been more spoken
Apr 21, 2016 7:20 AM

Jun 2013
Shouldn't be the other way around??
Apr 21, 2016 7:21 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
TheMoonServant said:

you know by now.... im always ready to say the shit no one else is willing to loooolll
Apr 21, 2016 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
i dont really read many manga because i hate reading online. it hurts
i only read manga when i have them in hands.
exceptions arent really common...
Apr 21, 2016 7:22 AM
Jul 2015
Cuz it shines, and moves and people talk and explosions.

Lot of explosions. Manga don't have decent explosions.

Apr 21, 2016 7:25 AM

Jan 2016
Mamster-P said:
TheMoonServant said:

you know by now.... im always ready to say the shit no one else is willing to loooolll

I would always be ready to, but only if I'd thought about it
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how "loved" is your #1 fave character of all time ?

ame - 10 hours ago

23 by juanlqr »»
42 seconds ago

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores

Kimo45 - Yesterday

31 by MasterTasuke »»
3 minutes ago

» What was your 1000th anime?

Shizuna - Yesterday

13 by Henrique-Senpai »»
5 minutes ago

» looking for hantai

Josh5564 - 5 hours ago

12 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you actually care about Anime "Controversy"?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

32 by Zarutaku »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.