Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 15, 2015 2:06 AM

Jul 2007
raven-2112 said:
WTF how can you compare Steins Gate and this Utawa...
Steins Gate was nicely done and even if the beginning was slow, they dont loose their time for 7 episodes on nothing.

Yes. Spending first half on otaku jokes, 4chan references, traps and cosplay is OBVIOUSLY entirely different.
Nov 15, 2015 2:24 AM

May 2014
omg, did You really watch Steins Gate ? -_-
Nov 15, 2015 2:41 AM

Aug 2008
Ckan said:
This is definitely the same sort of SoL as the first series.
You're kidding, right? I know the first series had breather episodes and some mundane interactions but it never stooped so low as to forcefully shove in shit like this fujoshi market or painfully obvious reveal dragging for a whole episode.

I never said I'm against what you called SoL (really overused term by the way). I'm disgusted by what was in this episode and how badly everything was executed. It was the lowest of the low writing you can find in an anime. This was actually the worst episode I've seen in this fall season and I've seen some really shitty series. Of course it's also a matter of expectations from the title but it was a garbage nonetheless.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 15, 2015 3:07 AM

Jun 2008
raven-2112 said:
omg, did You really watch Steins Gate ? -_-

Yes, and also played the VN. And was alos active in MAL during Steins;Gate airing.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Nov 15, 2015 3:10 AM
Oct 2015
Watching people who are complaining about BL stuffs happened in this episode made me laugh a bit. From the experience i've played the game until the end, BL stuffs are just a tiny plot to the series.

Now i've seen the episode title on the 1st cour make me wanna spoils them here hahahaha welp gotta endure it :3

And yeah i've to agree that the 1st half until now (episode 1-7), it's still so peaceful compared to the 1st season, THE REASON? cuz in the 2nd season they started on the land that is almost peaceful state with only Yamato Region.

And it's a right time to introduce and build some character developments whether is bad or not, before moving to some important role on the later half and Anju will be included in it.

So, it's better to ENJOY anything for now until something affects our characters
Nov 15, 2015 3:54 AM

Mar 2014
15poundfish said:
Paulo27 said:
You basically proved my point, nothing significant happened and we borderline know nothing about these characters except for their fetishes.
The show has not really finished introducing its characters. I would wait 6-7 more episodes before coming to a conclusion of the show sucking or not. Steins;Gate started slower than this show and its highly rated on this site because of the plot that happens after the awkward slice of life beginnings. I am saying the show is going to be better or worse than steins;gate but nothing has really happened yet to know the show is heading progressively towards the crapper like Comet Lucifer or other shows airing this season.
My fucking point again, it's still introducing and trying to develop characters but instead of actually doing it they are spending 20 minutes on nothing and spending a minute with a camera panning over some people and slapping their name next to them.

And lmao you guys comparing this to S;G, just stop.
Nov 15, 2015 4:21 AM

Mar 2008
Antanaru said:
Ckan said:
This is definitely the same sort of SoL as the first series.
You're kidding, right? I know the first series had breather episodes and some mundane interactions but it never stooped so low as to forcefully shove in shit like this fujoshi market.
Fair enough then. I'm not sure whether you mean that the BL stuff is inherently 'shit' or not, but I'd agree that the tropey 'shenanigans' weren't nearly as prominent in the first anime - they found their way into the specials and OVA instead.

...painfully obvious reveal dragging for a whole episode.

I never said I'm against what you called SoL (really overused term by the way). I'm disgusted by what was in this episode and how badly everything was executed. It was the lowest of the low writing you can find in an anime. This was actually the worst episode I've seen in this fall season and I've seen some really shitty series. Of course it's also a matter of expectations from the title but it was a garbage nonetheless.

This, I'm not so sure. It was certainly a padded episode, and taken as whole with what we've seen so far, I'd certainly say that there's little bang for buck. But if we're looking at this episode on its own, I don't think its writing is significantly 'worse' than the previous show.
Nov 15, 2015 5:19 AM

May 2010
Damn that was bad... so disappointed about this season :/
Nov 15, 2015 5:27 AM

Oct 2015
kaimax said:
GileonFletcher said:
I do think Anju might be the daughter of one of the -ruruu sisters, though. Just a feeling.

Jsut an FYI Lore, the Child will have the same ears and tails with their mothers. So No, she's not the daughters of the sisters.

Also, Everyone remember Steins;Gate? a show that was panned for the first half and then the same guys that panned it, came back for the last half?
This is going to be the same kind of show.

Also this is not the first appearance of Mikazuchi. :P

lol
Nov 15, 2015 9:16 AM

Jun 2013
damn Ruru is a fujoshi lol well that was slow but at least we get to see some butt lol
Nov 15, 2015 9:31 AM

Sep 2011
I'm a bit confused. How many princesses are there?
Nov 15, 2015 9:46 AM

Jul 2007
Sury said:

- Anju princess of Yamato, daughter of Yamato's emperor.
- Rurutie , princess of Kujuuri, a nearby nation-vassal of Yamato.
- Atui - a princes, daughter of what I understand to be a feudal lord in one of Yamato's provinces.
AhenshihaelNov 15, 2015 9:50 AM
Nov 15, 2015 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
And thus begins the birth of two new fujoshi xD

I'm intrigued by the intimidation that Haku felt with that general, hoping something amazing happens soon
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Nov 15, 2015 10:44 AM

Jul 2008
Only highpoint was the spanking scene, and that mostly in relief from the slow fluff and boring frustrating princess antics than from any sadistic and/or sexual angles. I can't imagine there being many people that took more than 10 seconds to realize who the little brat was, but then we had to sit through an entire episode of basically nothing, I can see it working better as a side thing in a VN but as an anime episode it sucked.
Nov 15, 2015 12:25 PM

Sep 2011
CookingPriest said:
Sury said:

- Atui - a princes, daughter of what I understand to be a feudal lord in one of Yamato's provinces.

Thanks for the info. I guess I really should watch the prequel before continuing.
Nov 15, 2015 4:52 PM

Jul 2009
Aaaaand we're back to it being bad again - hoped they would continue with the same quality like the last episode - instead they go back to characters doing boring things again.
Nov 15, 2015 6:09 PM

Jun 2008
Sury said:
CookingPriest said:

Thanks for the info. I guess I really should watch the prequel before continuing.

Except the last one in the spoiler, every one of them is new information from the 2nd game. But it's good "investment" to watch the prequel first for the lore, and recurring characters that will appear in the future.

Nov 15, 2015 10:12 PM

Aug 2013
what a shitty episode, and what a shitty anime, since episode 3 nothing happened, did they just adapt an Utawarerumono's game to make money easily and just by making a borderline harem ?

Anyways, this anime sucks and disappointed me so much, I stop it here.
Nov 16, 2015 1:00 AM

Jun 2008
Nuage said:
what a shitty episode, and what a shitty anime, since episode 3 nothing happened, did they just adapt an Utawarerumono's game to make money easily and just by making a borderline harem ?

See you back at the last half of the season. Bye.

Also, the ones who actually played the VN, says otherwise.
https://vndb.org/v7721
kaimaxNov 16, 2015 1:04 AM

Nov 16, 2015 5:13 AM

Mar 2008
Nuage said:
Probably the only thing borderline about Utawarerumono's harems are the (mental) ages of its members.

But actually, does the franchise have an appropriate following for guaranteeing the anime's (independent) financial success?
CkanNov 16, 2015 5:17 AM
Nov 16, 2015 6:43 AM
Jul 2018
Nuage said:

Different strokes, different folks....
I'm loving the slice of life style. It's the lovely characters that make this series. I'm not particularly interested in the plot itself. I just enjoy watching the girls go about their daily lives.

Always characters > story line for me.

Also, loving Hara Yumi as Atui, I absolutely adore her voice. Taneda Risa too.
Nov 16, 2015 8:39 AM

Jul 2007
Nuage said:

Every single episode so far has been either building up the overarching plot, introducing characters or developing characters.

But dont worry, because tehre has not been any explosions "nothing happened".
Nov 16, 2015 9:11 AM

May 2014
This series is, for lack of a better word, pretty boring. I'm hanging on in hope that something of interest is going to happen but I'm not holding my breath.
Nov 16, 2015 9:15 AM
Oct 2015
CookingPriest said:
Nuage said:

Every single episode so far has been either building up the overarching plot, introducing characters or developing characters.

If all we had were scenes of people soaking in onsen without discussing anything, reading yaoi graphic novels with a big blush on their faces, eating exotic and georgeous foods, and doing silent sight-seeing, then I would concede that yes, ‘’nothing happens’’.

However, that’s not what we have. There’s stuff going on, worldbuilding being established, information being delivered and character interactions happening. Just because people are not fighting and dying left and right ‘cuz reasons, and there’s no-one fighting laws-of-physics-defying battles in the sky with nuclear explosion in the background, doesn’t mean ‘nothing happens!’.

And some people like peaceful, SOL stories. Ever heard of Hyouka? That show is almost 100 % talking and MC introspections, yet to me, it’s one of the best delivered and entertaining stories I have watched in anime form. The gorgeous animation probably helped. Anyway, I digress. The SOL elements should take a backseat next episode anyway, if not be out-right thrown into the background.

I also wish people would at least keep in mind that this is a 25 something episodes series, and also that, if there’s a whole lot less war than the original, it’s because Yamato is much more peaceful (or at least currently appearing so) than the lands in which the first series took place.

Edit: I don't know why I didn’t think of this right way, but an excellent example of a show with similar pacing would be Seirei no Moribito. There’s maybe 4-5 fight scenes in all of the 26 episodes, and most of the rest was characters going about their business of living and talking about stuff, most of which built up the world or/and was relevant to the plot.
LeanMeanMachineNov 16, 2015 9:26 AM
Nov 16, 2015 9:33 AM

Feb 2013
Love said:
So much BL <3333333

Inugirlz said:
RURUTIE-SAMA! BEST GIRL BEST GIRL BEST GIRL! SHE UNDERSTANDS! (Munechika-sama too!)

<3

Yeah! So refreshing :3
Nov 16, 2015 12:13 PM

Mar 2015
is it only me that like this episode? it's feel calm and give many investment to the character? also more knowing about world building and settings? also more character introduction. don't mind with slowass progression, as long as the rewerd are as good as it's investement.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 16, 2015 12:19 PM
Oct 2015
Kuma said:
is it only me that like this episode? it's feel calm and give many investment to the character? also more knowing about world building and settings? also more character introduction. don't mind with slowass progression, as long as the rewerd are as good as it's investement.

I liked it alright.
Nov 16, 2015 12:32 PM

Jan 2011
Too predictable, can definitely feel the game flow in how things happen. Probably their hometown or the capital is gonna get fucked at some point.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Nov 16, 2015 11:05 PM

Oct 2011
Anju and Munechita delve in the world of the BL OMG XDDD

Ruru will be so happy XDDD

The generals are introduced and that one guy had his eye on Haku 0___0
Nov 16, 2015 11:08 PM

Aug 2013
CookingPriest said:
Nuage said:

Well it's not like I want some "explosions" like you say, but in the first Utawarerumono, the characters were greats, and even with that, the plot was great itself and researched, here, it's feel like the only thing I'm watching is "bath bath bath bath- new girl appears- bath bath bath bath"

I know that it's to introduce new characters, but it's just feel wrong...

Well, I'm gonna try to watch some more episode anyways, but for real, I'm a fan of slice of life, and I just want that the slice of life's ambience in this anime stop.
NuageNov 16, 2015 11:11 PM
Nov 17, 2015 12:26 AM

Oct 2014
LeanMeanMachine said:
Kuma said:

I liked it alright.

Some people just think it integral to bitch about everything that doesn't suit their personal tastes. The "I'm entitled to my opinion" card lets them do this even if they're no good at defending it against serious scrutiny.

Myself, I prefer to focus on how well the creators do something or how much they seem to actually care about whatever it is they're making, as opposed to focusing on anything and everything trivial that disappoints or goes in a direction I can't predict or understand, or that's just the wrong shade of red.

This series certainly does do a fine job of recycling many overdone clichés and tropes, but I don't see why people should complain excessively about seeing them at play here when they quite conveniently have seemingly no problems with them showing up in whatever their favorite series is. I've honestly seen way worse, and the vast majority of it in extremely popular shit that seemingly everyone loves. Sure if you haven't said anything up until now because you hadn't yet felt at liberty to express your overall impression and this one episode did it for you then you have every reason to make that much clear if you want to.

But if you literally come back every week just to complain about how much you hated the newest episode I honestly wonder why you even are still watching the series, because you should've stopped ages ago.
Nov 17, 2015 3:42 AM

Jun 2008
Nuage said:
Well it's not like I want some "explosions" like you say, but in the first Utawarerumono, the characters were greats, and even with that, the plot was great itself and researched, here, it's feel like the only thing I'm watching is "bath bath bath bath- new girl appears- bath bath bath bath"

This have been said many times, but Both series starts on a different kind of situation for the country. Tuskuru (not even a country yet), was in a time of warring states, Feudal lords trying to gather more power and wealth while the "little people" suffer for this. While Yamato, has been enjoying peace for a very long time, till the point that the first Emperor is still alive for centuries.

Of course they will do a different approach to the plot and story. If Peace is well maintained, then the only other option left for the story to unfold is an uprising or an invasion.

Also complaining about the SoF is pretty much moot if you claim to only watch the 1st anime, as the original VN has tons of those, then it was made into the Specials and OVA.
In general, the 1st anime was a whole lot a mess when compared to the original VN. Omission of other female relationships (Eruru Bias), rushed short arcs in the middle of the season, and the botched ending, that actually caused MAL to tag Uta 2 as an "Alternative Setting" before being persuaded by users who actually played the game to change the tag to a "sequel" .

If Uta 2 SoF parts was a problem, then it will reflect on the scores/reviews given on the game. But on the contrary the lowest score in VNDB now is just a 7, with 16 people giving it a 9 (out of 27 votes).
Everything you feel now is because they are really controlling their pace with the anime, not rush it like the 1st one did.

Uta 2 in MAL, is actually going on like Steins;Gate, most people panned the 1st half because "nothing happens" with Okabe playing around with the Microwave. Then the plot came, after that long build and it's now #2 in Mal. Both CookingPriest and I was there.

Inb4, I'm not saying that Uta 2 Is better or equal to Steins;Gate, I'm just saying the major plot and story will happen in the 2nd half, while the first half is spent on introducing characters and their personalities, lore and planting the seed for the plot..
kaimaxNov 17, 2015 3:58 AM

Nov 17, 2015 5:40 AM
Apr 2015
For anyone who are feeling getting dragged on this series, just come back on winter season because it will still air at that point and plot will definitely move. You can hold the series right now so the pacing won't be a little off when you marathoned it.
Nov 17, 2015 7:01 AM

Nov 2009
Kuma said:

No, it's not only you. I'm alright with the Slice-of-Life, with yaoi doujinshi somehow being printed in a pseudo-medieval world (I wonder if they have printing press somewhere) and slowly getting a grip on the capital...

Paulo27 said:
And you have to be blind to not see that the yaoi writer guy is a general.
I didn't see it until you mentioned it. And even now I've got to go look at the anime to check if it's true.

straggy said:
They really gon act like that princess reveal was surprising? They coulda revealed her in 5 damn minutes, we all KNEW she was the princess immediately, it weren't subtle!
With all the princesses running around, they might have been surprised she was actually the princess of this country, not some random country located god-knows-where.
Nov 17, 2015 8:03 AM

May 2013
Some great facial expressiona in this episode.
Lead me out of the dark,bishounen space Jesus.
Nov 17, 2015 7:19 PM

Aug 2013
Dear lord, have mercy, the BL is spreeding!
Rurutie is shippin' the wrong ones too. The OTP is HakuxMaroro.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 17, 2015 7:53 PM

Aug 2014
Was I the only one who laughed when the Imperial Princess got punished? xD

Anyways, damn.. All the yaoi though... Highly disturbing lol

Well, we should launch an NTR crusade though haha
Nov 18, 2015 12:36 AM

Dec 2014
Look like next episode will have an fight scene. Different with season 1 that alredy had fight scene on early episode. 3/5
Nov 18, 2015 2:04 AM

Jul 2007
Nuage said:
but in the first Utawarerumono, the characters were greats, and even with that, the plot was great itself and researched, here, it's feel like the only thing I'm watching is "bath bath bath bath- new girl appears- bath bath bath bath"

THe first utawarerumono, while covering main plotpoints well enough, was also incredibly rushed and unevenly paced and biased towards Eruru(read: worst girl), which resulted in some weird pacing where the start is fast paced, then we suddenly have bunch of SOL and then suddenly we cover multiple story arcs in incredibly rushed manner of 1-2 episodes, as if they were sidestories. Then we cut out all the actual relationships. Then we cut out a big part of Hakuoro's backstory because who cares about all the lab stuff and worldbuilding about human extinction. Then we do half a decent job at the ending parts yet we outright alter one scene that involves Kuon and that leads into Itsuwari No Kamen so now people are confused.
Don't get me wrong, UTA1 was a decent adaptation for its time but its pacing was horrible.

The first utawarerumono also starts in the midst of war. That is not the case with the second, which starts in seemingly peaceful country. The only "fighting" possible in such a setting is usually behind the scenes(which is exactly what we are getting), so the show builds up the intrigue behind Yamato as well as showing what paths significant characters in Uta1 have taken and how it all connects together. Build Up > Turning Point > Pay Off is the basic rule of narrative.

There's also the fact that while Utawarerumono 1 was a full story, Itsuwari no Kamen is only the "Part 1" of the said story and thus is shorter.
Nov 18, 2015 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that follows the same timing and argumentation in previous episodes, slow and discursive narration, there is plenty of room to describe the characteristics of the characters and to give the chance to introduce new ones. Pleasant enjoyment, designs and animations are of good quality, I can not wait to follow the next episode. :)
Nov 18, 2015 4:56 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, I think.
Very slowly revealing more about the world. Taking its time.
Nov 21, 2015 8:22 AM

May 2009
Paulo27 said:
15poundfish said:
The show has not really finished introducing its characters. I would wait 6-7 more episodes before coming to a conclusion of the show sucking or not. Steins;Gate started slower than this show and its highly rated on this site because of the plot that happens after the awkward slice of life beginnings. I am saying the show is going to be better or worse than steins;gate but nothing has really happened yet to know the show is heading progressively towards the crapper like Comet Lucifer or other shows airing this season.
My fucking point again, it's still introducing and trying to develop characters but instead of actually doing it they are spending 20 minutes on nothing and spending a minute with a camera panning over some people and slapping their name next to them.

And lmao you guys comparing this to S;G, just stop.

How did even menage to finish S;G? Your whines imply that first half must have been torture for you.
Nov 21, 2015 10:06 AM

Oct 2012
Egh. Pretty horrible episode and the worst episode how to introduce another character. Not to mention it was all sooo obvious since the beginning as they gave it away pretty blatantly. The rest was just suffering before inevitable happened.
Really don't know why they are wasting an episode for such nonsense.

And why oh why all this BL stuff, do they want to ruin everything and fall into mediocrity just like every other anime?

I am so disgusted by the this series right now.
The way their exposition is done I don't really care about any other characters save maybe for Haku and Kuon.
Rurutie, Atui, Nekone, Kiuru, Anju or Maroro, they can all die in hell as far as I care.
Mich666Nov 21, 2015 10:16 AM
Nov 21, 2015 4:33 PM

Sep 2010
I just realized that this anime has quite a lot of useless annoying characters and now just one more was added to that group.

I really like the main group Haku, Kuon and Ukon, even that strange magician makeup guy as well, but this episode focused mostly on those other characters and this little annoying brat that it was somehow hard to watch.

While I liked the first travel episodes the most, I really didn't mind the slow city episodes where Haku is doing odd job, I liked the last episode as well as there were two nostalgic characters from S01 there but this one. Meh!

Please don't give those characters any more screen time!
Nov 21, 2015 4:36 PM

Mar 2008
At this point it's hard not to want to echo the amusement at all this BL repellence.

bastek66 said:
How did even menage to finish S;G? Your whines imply that first half must have been torture for you.
Steins Gate had passable jokes though.
CkanNov 21, 2015 4:39 PM
Nov 25, 2015 11:18 AM

Jun 2008
shanimebib said:
There wasn't any bath scene in this episode, I think.

Worst episode. I need my damn bathing scene!

Seriously though, i didn't care about the fujoshi comedy but the critic on the show for overdoing it with the non plot events is true. Yeah they introduced the little princess but aren't there better ways of doing than wasting 23 minutes seeing her doing stupid shit?
Can you have the plot and events going while introducing characters? Do we really have to always watch nothing until everyone is introduced?

I mean come on. It's the 7th episode already. And is not like it's some show based on witty dialogue were it can keep you amused with just the talking exchanges. The dialogue is completely predictable and simplistic. So you end up getting bored.

15poundfish said:
Paulo27 said:
You basically proved my point, nothing significant happened and we borderline know nothing about these characters except for their fetishes.

Stein:Gate had nice character exchanges and witty dialogue that amused during those episodes. Also it had more interesting characters.
Also the plot was really moving and it wasn't as slow. Those events were part of the plot going. But this silly staff in this are certain to not being important in anything. And don't ask how i know. This setup is simplistic, is not hard to see that this events are unimportant and serve no other purpose than character introduction and familiarity.
MonadNov 25, 2015 11:23 AM
Dec 6, 2015 1:29 PM

Feb 2015
not the BL again.
this episode is so funny. and that ending looked interesting too.
Dec 11, 2015 7:54 AM

Sep 2014
Rurutie sure loves her BL lol ^^
That spanking hahah
Munechika's reaction when she read the book <3
Dec 17, 2015 6:59 AM

Sep 2008
It amuses me greatly if people get mad at the yaoi-gags.
Just start a quick pixiv-search and you will see that Japan is pandering to the right audience.

And as a dirty fujoshi, that ships Haku and Ukon myself, I am not really bothered at all by those jokes.
Jan 5, 2016 12:47 PM

Dec 2013
This was... awful. To think that it would devolve from something that seemed like a pretty dignified adventure journey show into something like this.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

96 by Lolicon »»
Nov 8, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

100 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:56 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

241 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:43 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2016

99 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:22 AM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2016

85 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.