Forums
New
??
Yes it is
47.7%
Nope
52.3%
1,989 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 21, 2015 12:04 PM

Apr 2014
Tlahuizcapante said:
It been called numerous times that all hype comes from the manga readers. Second season of Haikyuu is on the 15 place. You can now say - It is a second season, so it is understandable. And OPM is on top 50. And this called high for a new series. And why is such popularity? Like i mentioned before - all hype comes from the manga readers (especially, Murata's version). If you read his version - it is a anime in the manga form. Because of that, anime is close to a second season form. Some new moments is a nice fanservice, but, basically manga is just like a full script for a anime.
ur forgetting the hype coming from ppl who will gobble up anything madhouse related
Oct 21, 2015 12:05 PM

Sep 2011
White_Hawk2099 said:
Kruzy said:
Yes but the same can be said about the majority of shows on MAL so it doesn't mean much.

Nevertheless it's still the best non-sequel show this year.

it won't get a sequel?!

Probably it will. Depends on the sells, but it will take a while cause of the lack of source material for now.
About the score, I see it with 76.6/100 on anilist. Since that site takes the scores more seriously than mal, for 3 episodes of a non-sequel, it's pretty nice
Oct 21, 2015 12:08 PM

Apr 2013
moodie said:
what i dont understand is ppl recently have used the argument that overpowered MCs are boring, bad, not well written. examples are in mahouka threads. more specifically its a criticism used in harem battle type anime with overpowered mcs. but when u have something like opm it gets praised as something spectacular.

The difference is pretty simple actually. Saitama is OP, but he doesn't have a sister who wants his dick...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 21, 2015 12:12 PM

Mar 2015
moodie said:
Tlahuizcapante said:
It been called numerous times that all hype comes from the manga readers. Second season of Haikyuu is on the 15 place. You can now say - It is a second season, so it is understandable. And OPM is on top 50. And this called high for a new series. And why is such popularity? Like i mentioned before - all hype comes from the manga readers (especially, Murata's version). If you read his version - it is a anime in the manga form. Because of that, anime is close to a second season form. Some new moments is a nice fanservice, but, basically manga is just like a full script for a anime.
ur forgetting the hype coming from ppl who will gobble up anything madhouse related

I think their numbers is smaller.
Oct 21, 2015 12:22 PM

Jul 2013
At this point "overrated" doesn't even mean what they mean anymore, because everything that gets attention gets labeled as such.
Oct 21, 2015 12:27 PM

Feb 2015
No it's something that's actually good in 2015 it's a miracle, I haven't seen new gundam or Gintama but they are my only other hopes for a good anime this year.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2015 12:27 PM

Apr 2014
Raycee said:
At this point "overrated" doesn't even mean what they mean anymore, because everything that gets attention gets labeled as such.
it seems like ppl are going behind this defensive mechanism and using that argument u just said as a cop out.

what overrated really means is that it is rated higher than it should be at based on the quality of said anime. ppl are labeling it overrated not because of its popularity but because the score is getting doesnt reflect what it should really be at. its a good anime but ppl cant explain why after they go over how well its animated. once they stop there u begin to realize that, that is the only argument they got. if someone can explain why its accurately rated so highly than u can begin to say that its not overrated. but there are more evidence leading to an inflated score rather than the latter.

ppl for the most part think the anime is good....but is it 8.5+ good? when other anime out there are actually similar or better in a sense?

overrated does mean something and even ppl that love this anime can tell u its overrated AT THIS MOMENT, because the REAL good part is yet to arrive.
Oct 21, 2015 12:29 PM

Jul 2013
moodie said:
what i dont understand is ppl recently have used the argument that overpowered MCs are boring, bad, not well written. examples are in mahouka threads. more specifically its a criticism used in harem battle type anime with overpowered mcs. but when u have something like opm it gets praised as something spectacular.

all im saying is ppl are praising this anime for a number of reasons that makes them hate other anime.

You're comparing apples with oranges.
It's like complaining about ecchi in non-ecchi shows but liking in ecchi harems or to complain about the lack of story in an action show but not minding it in a slice of life show.

Also there are differences in how these OP characters are introduced and used. In Mahouka it's more about Onii-sama circlejerking while in OPM it's Saitama's struggle with the lack of excitement from battles.
The OP characters in harem light novels also tend to have very little personality too.
Oct 21, 2015 12:32 PM
Oct 2015
It's easy, if they haven't read the manga they'll think it was overhyped. The only people who hyped it up are the ones that read it and we know what will happen in the series and the reason to be hype as fuck. Those that are going with only the anime so far have only gotten 3 episodes which basically focus on Saitama and Genos. I could argue they have no imagination and judge things at face value (I mean come on, you really think a series about a character that beats monsters in one or 3 punches will stay focused on him?) but whatever. And I have a feeling that even once everything comes out they'll still feel it's overhyped. They won't have muratas godly art, the scenes you can make gifs out of, the side chapters that give more depth to the characters. And truthfully while from now on we'll start getting more characters slowly and their struggles, the true in depth developments starts after Boros and the series will end in Boros.

But hey I dont care as long as it sells well enough to bring a second season. I really want garou's arc to be animated
SolmagnumOct 21, 2015 12:35 PM
Oct 21, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2015
Simple answer is.
NO.
OPM goes against many of the cliche's, and is a fresh and unique new series in a time where its originality is greatly needed. It is a genius show and people love it.
Oct 21, 2015 1:16 PM
Dec 2012
It might look overrated now, since you might be thinking 'how long can OPM keep his mommentum? since a protagonist that finishes everything off with just one punch is bound to get tiressome latter' But you see, the thing is that it'll only get better and better from now on, with the introduction of more awesome characters like licenseless rider, king, speed of the sound sonic, etc... and believe me when i say this...the action sequences will only IMPROVE, if you tough the action was great up untill now just wait intill Boros comes up.
Oct 21, 2015 1:22 PM

Feb 2014
"Hey look an anime is more popular than usual, it's probably not that good"

How do you even determine is something is overrated anyway? Like just fucking watch the show and see for yourself.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Oct 21, 2015 1:39 PM
Aug 2012
Overrated: NO
Overhyped: Maybe a bit

But why should it matter..............it's entertaining.

Oct 21, 2015 8:33 PM
Jun 2013
I'm sitting here chuckling reading the comments about the lack of story. The fact is the latter arcs in the webcomic have some of the deepest, most introspective storylines about super heroes I have ever seen/read in any medium. You have to understand that when One Punch Man started the artist ONE was still in his infancy as a writer. His abilities as a writer improved to a huge degree over the years. Now granted we'll probably not see that stuff this season but I'd urge anyone calling it overrated to go read the webcomic right now and see for themselves why it's so great.

One Punch Man is not a one trick pony, it has enough varied elements sustaining the top notch quality over a long period of time. It never gets boring despite the hundred or so chapters it's at.
pakkitOct 21, 2015 8:41 PM
Oct 21, 2015 9:14 PM
Oct 2015
nope, as manga reader i could feel the hype same as when i started reading OPM manga 2 years ago
Oct 21, 2015 9:38 PM

Feb 2013
Anything people like is always "overrated".

"It's not bad, but definitely overrated~". Must not be overrated if everyone seems to think it's not bad. And if you say it's bad, you're just trying to prove something, because the appeal is obvious, even if it's not your thing.
Oct 22, 2015 1:22 AM

Apr 2013
Kruzy said:
Zefyris said:
It's currently overrated for a very simple reason.

There is no valid reason to rank # 44 an anime when only 25% of it has been aired. After 3 episodes, that's just plain ridiculous. it may deserve or not this place after being finished airing, but currently, it doesn't.

Meanwhile the currently airing Gintama is on rank 4 and Haikyuu!! S2 is on rank 15. It's a flaw with MAL's system and not just OPM.

I never said it was OPM alone though. And I'm not thinking that either. MAL shouldn't allow shows with a finite number of episode registered to be ranked before it finishes airing.
ZefyrisOct 22, 2015 1:26 AM
Oct 22, 2015 1:36 AM

Aug 2012
I'm personally offended by this thread. I really hope those people that said that OPM is overrated are trolling. Kill anime elitism.
Oct 23, 2015 1:30 AM
Dec 2012
If it's less popular than DBZ then it's Underrated
Oct 23, 2015 1:41 AM
Aug 2013
These people calling OPM Overrated must have some brain injury that doesn't let them comprehend the geniality of this show and all this show is about... I really feel sad for those guys. As for the production value it tops all the other animes airing right now so pls next time when creating a thread or posting for something ask yourself about the gendres you like and you mental capacity..
Thank You . Thats all i had to say.

Long Live OPM !!!
Sanity... what would I do with a useless thing like that?
Oct 23, 2015 10:53 AM
Sep 2015
its not overrated by any means. people just like to hate at what is popular
Oct 23, 2015 11:07 AM

Mar 2015
Hmm... I wouldn't say it's overrated. I'd say it's should be around 8.5 below but 8.00 above. Probably the most overhyped but certainly not overrated.

As for story, I just imagine this anime as a comedy anime that have nonsensical stuffs like the harem anime I watched. So OPM is really good.

Oct 23, 2015 2:12 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
There's no such thing as overrated/underrated. Whatever rank it is, it's their for a reason because many people supported it to be high up.
Oct 23, 2015 2:49 PM

Apr 2011
yes it is

it's just a story about a guy who beats bad guys with only 1 punch, wow so exciting !!!111

it's suppose to be funny but it isn't

and the main character looks stupid, it's almost as if he is drawn by a 10 years old.
Oct 23, 2015 4:27 PM

Feb 2011
Valaskjalf said:
it's just a story about a guy who beats bad guys with only 1 punch, wow so exciting !!!111

that's what you want to think

Zefyris said:
MAL shouldn't allow shows with a finite number of episode registered to be ranked before it finishes airing.

agree with that, the same way not yet aired shows don't get ranked anymore
but ranked as in, not getting added into the "top anime" list before being over, not being with no score (seeing the scores change while it's airing it's interesting >.> )

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Oct 23, 2015 6:17 PM

Jan 2013
Deserves? That's personal taste. I like it and think it's one of the best animes I say it deserves. I dislike it and think it's overrated I say it doesn't. If there would be any objective data like facts that X thing doesn't deserve something, then there would be no point in this thread and we would expect you would analize it yourself, but since it's something that totally depends on personal taste, then it will be pointless because nothing is to be concluded of this thread.

This is only for the NEET anime fans to feel some satisfaction on giving their opinion about something that they will feel will have mattered when in reality it didn't :v

TLDR; Useless thread.
Oct 23, 2015 6:21 PM

Feb 2013
Overrated or not, that's something that goes into every person's opinion.
I personally think it's not. Deserves the good comments and reviews from people. Lives up to its hype.

Oct 24, 2015 12:27 AM

Jul 2015
What is the point of asking the same question to the same group of people ? If it's "overrated" by the people who like the anime, the same people will answer to your topic, this means the topic itself is vain.

I still dont get why any other rating than your personal enjoyment matter. And how we can debate about such a subjective and personnal thing.
Oct 24, 2015 12:50 AM

Apr 2014
People just use the word "overrated" like taking candy from a baby. One Punch Man is good enough from what I have watched, and that's all that matters.

From my own standpoint anyways, almost everything gets more attention than it deserves, so creating a thread to ask about whether one punch man is overrated or not is useless, since people won't care about others' opinion. It's that simple.
Oct 24, 2015 3:09 AM

Feb 2011
Fruit_de_la_Eden said:
People just use the word "overrated" like taking candy from a baby.

"Is this anime/manga Overrated?" threads are overrated xD

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Oct 24, 2015 9:33 AM
Mar 2014
I do agree with overhyped, as the best parts will barely be covered during the anime. At least this season. If/when the 2nd season comes out we'll get a lot more of the better content.

That said..the last half of the season should be amazing based on their current adaption rate, since that'll cover Sea Folk, DMT, King, and Blizzard arcs.

On the other hand, we don't know yet if they're going to do the side-story chapters or not, which help a lot to flesh out the world beyond just where the story focuses. 200 Yen should've appeared last episode, but it may have been moved up the beginning of episode 4 to not break-up the action block of episode 3 since it was a direct continuation of episode 2, where as episode 4 takes place after a lull period, and would be the best place to drop in 200 Yen before the Paradise arc begins.

On the other hand they might just leave out all the side-story chapters entirely, or put then in that 2nd OVA, since they're fairly episodic aside for some of them including hints for roughly where in the story they take place chronologically. Though most of Saitama's pre-OPM story happened in the side-story chapters, aside for the bit with Crablante at the beginning).
Oct 24, 2015 11:32 AM
Aug 2014
It depends on what you're looking for. For me it is overrated because the humor is decent and the action isn't good. But the trolliness of character is amazing. Some people love what it is doing. So far nothing has happened however there's gonna be an arc and it might be good amazing. We can't judge the anime yet.
Oct 24, 2015 11:42 AM

Apr 2013
kittymeowmel said:
The side stories are probably going to be in the OVAs. They are going to need all 12 episodes for the main story.

Too bad because some of them were great (especially the one with Saitama at school and the one about the B hero).
5. Is it actually good?

Oct 24, 2015 12:06 PM

Jul 2013
geralt said:
kittymeowmel said:
The side stories are probably going to be in the OVAs. They are going to need all 12 episodes for the main story.

Too bad because some of them were great (especially the one with Saitama at school and the one about the B hero).

I'm pretty The b hero chapter will be in the anime, there is scene in the trailer with
Oct 25, 2015 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
Guilek said:
geralt said:

I'm pretty The b hero chapter will be in the anime, there is scene in the trailer with

Oh yeah, I think you had already mentioned that.
Anyways, a bit off topic, but I just noticed OPM has more than 100k members already here on MAL. Excluding sequels, I think this might be some record. Hopefully this success is mirrored where it matters...
5. Is it actually good?

Oct 25, 2015 4:29 AM

Jun 2013
Anyone calling this Anime mediocre but praising fanservice series with nothing but regurgitated bit asses and bit tits like Shokugeki no Souma, Sword Art Online, Tokyo Ghoul (not fanservice-y but one of the most predictable and shittiest goth-themed series ever which is not not overrated but overhyped by its annoying fanbase) and the like have absolutely no taste.
臭い-
Oct 25, 2015 6:08 AM

Sep 2011
Bibimbapski said:
Anyone calling this Anime mediocre but praising fanservice series with nothing but regurgitated bit asses and bit tits like Shokugeki no Souma, Sword Art Online, Tokyo Ghoul (not fanservice-y but one of the most predictable and shittiest goth-themed series ever which is not not overrated but overhyped by its annoying fanbase) and the like have absolutely no taste.

Note to yourself. Never try to get your point across while insulting other people tastes cuase that's really the worse you can do here, so keep it to yourself
If people think OPM is mediocre, they still have a bunch of weeks to change their minds, and when they do you can just say "I fucking told you!", instead of bashing other popular shows
Oct 25, 2015 7:17 AM

Jun 2011
Lol @ anyone who think that anime series with ass and tits are automatically bad. That's just pure bias. Same goes for the harem genre, OP Gary Stu protagonist, and blablabla..

"Look, I like this anime without ass, tits, harem, or Gary Stu protagonist, am I special enough?" Maybe you are, here's a cookie tho.

I haven't watch the anime yet, but I've seen a bit of spoiler on youtube and it's well animated enough, so at least I'll give it that. I've read a bit of the manga, like up to chapter 30 or so, and imo it was pretty okay, not like it's really bad, but it's nothing special either, nothing really makes me want to continue reading on, except for maybe Murata's art and his panel to panel moving animation.

Whether or not this series is overrated, honestly, not just for this series alone, but for all the other seasonal anime as well, I'd wish that not every season we get an anime that would so easily get into top 100 ranking, it makes the list so freakin' cheap it's probably not worth looking into. That said anime might be great, but is it worth remembering for the years to come? I don't know.. I just don't like seeing my favorite anime series being pushed further down the list for some new "overhyped" anime series that will be forgotten in about, say, 5 years.

Also, I've read through all 3 pages, and I've seen people who say that the anime hasn't gotten to the real great shit yet, so why the hell are you guys saying that it's not overrated? I mean, you guys did say that it hasn't gotten to the awesome part yet, right? It doesn't make sense to say that "it's not overrated because the future content will be great"..

Well that said, I hope the anime could make me like this series more than the manga does.

P.S. Oh by the way, there was someone who mention that OPM goes against many cliches, and I just wanna say that.. it's a parody, bruh, it's supposed to make fun of the cliches.. so..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 25, 2015 2:19 PM
Oct 2010
Ratings are based on peoples opinion anyway so it doesn't necessary mean the series is good or bad. It's really just a matter of taste and preferences like for example, some people prefer to get blowjob from girl some from other guys. There are those who rather surf the internet than to have a social life. Some jack off and some do not. Men and women. Gay and lesbian. My point is that everyone is different in their own twisted way and everyones opinion doesn't not always corelate with one another.
Oct 25, 2015 3:41 PM

Jan 2014
You know I don't know how you can decide whether something is overrated or not after only 4 episodes but if it is to you then yeah.

Opinions are a suprising thing people.

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Oct 25, 2015 4:00 PM

Jul 2010
I quite liked the manga (i've read both versions) and the anime so far is enjoyable for me so I don't think its all that overrated.
Oct 25, 2015 4:20 PM
May 2013
Valaskjalf said:

Yeah, and Death Note is just about a guy who kills people with a notebook. Sounds like a dumb premise right? Yet many of us still love it.
Oct 25, 2015 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
So far yes, 4 episodes in and it deserves (imo oc) 7.5~8.0/10 at best. But it was like 8.7 since first episode because of manga readers so...

Hopefully it will live up to its ranking when it ends.
removed-userOct 25, 2015 8:59 PM
Oct 26, 2015 11:10 AM

Sep 2013
Come on man, at least wait after the show has ended. Some people just can't contain themselves.
sic mundus
Oct 26, 2015 11:16 AM

Nov 2012
Not really in my opinion. Its got a 8.70 average as of the time of me writing this comment. I'd personally rate it 8/10 so far (I'm caught up with the manga too). I really enjoy the humor of the series , various wacky personalities of villains and heroes, awesome action and artwork. It's not a series I take very seriously or over analyze, on the pure enjoyment spectrum it's consistently entertaining to me.

Just something to keep in mind, any time someone is throwing around the term "overrated" you have to keep in mind that opinions on anime are subjective. Just because most people like an anime doesn't mean you will like it too.

For example I didn't like Stein's Gate anywhere near as much as most people did.. and its ranked #2 on MAL
Oct 26, 2015 11:52 AM
Nov 2013
Personally I don't think the manga is overrated because the art in general is amazing.
Oct 26, 2015 12:40 PM

Jun 2015
I heard it was pretty hyped which is the only reason I'm watching it. I had low expectations myself, isn't really my type of thing. Loving it so far though. Gotta be doing something right.
Oct 26, 2015 6:22 PM

Mar 2015
for anime, i think it's already fit place for now. so it's not overrated IMHO. but i find manga overrated TBH. it's not faithful adaptation of web-manga. need more "parody" atmosphare to fit those ranks, but fail at it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 27, 2015 4:23 AM

Jan 2015
maybe people thought its premise was different and refreshing and decided to give it a try... i got interested and i'm enjoying OPM a lot!
idk, maybe not everything that gets many people's attention are overrated afterall.
Oct 27, 2015 8:42 AM

Sep 2015
It is. It's still highly enjoyable though, so i can see why a lot of people really like.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

988 by KediTime12 »»
Jun 16, 11:44 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Truth4Lies - Oct 11, 2015

476 by Jiborjas »»
Jun 11, 10:42 AM

Poll: » should one punch man be called battle seinen?

deg - May 16

24 by phantom346 »»
May 22, 12:46 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

338 by FedeMetal »»
May 20, 6:30 PM

» serious question

z0idberger - May 5

45 by RickyHunt »»
May 20, 8:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.