Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 28, 2015 3:13 AM
Mar 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
Miyamori didn't get much screen-time, but considering how things are slowly smoothing over on her end, I think it's actually a good thing.

I guess it is kinda irony but if they can keep their production schedule on track, Miyamori and the others need to do their routine works only and the show wouldn't spare screen-time for such parts. They say, "No news is a good news."

As for Hirooka, I can believe he still has a dream about working for animation production. If he really had lost it completely, he wouldn't have cast that sarcastic comment toward Midori Imai, the prospective scenario writer. If you feel envious and irritated with your coworkers working happily, it should be a clear signal that you have a desire to be like them. The president Marukawa knew Hirooka's feelings. That why he just gave him some snack and green tea and never scolded him.
htsujiFeb 28, 2015 3:21 AM
Feb 28, 2015 11:47 AM

Jun 2014
This ep flew by. Not much happened but still good stuff. I always enjoy the character/story discussions during the meetings.
Ema x hamster girl is sweet.

Also. This is how much I like Hiraoka:

Feb 28, 2015 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Words cannot describe how I hate Hiraoka's personality. At least he did the right thing and apologised. Their fight was pretty rough but it was one of the starting points that led to important decisions on episode 12.
Maybe I never really understood the teddy bear and the doll thing until now and I'm sorry if not but I look at them now like an angelic version of Miamori (the teddy bear) and not her evil counterpart but more of a naughty one (the doll). xD
At only 4 episodes until this show is over I guess the only way the girls are going to work together on an anime is if Shizuka's called for a minor role. I don't believe that will happen so maybe we can start thinking about having a second season. I would enjoy that. :)
Feb 28, 2015 10:08 PM
Jun 2012
tingy said:
I understand people have had their problems in the past, and even if Hiraoka is no longer (if he was) enthusiastic about animation production, [..]
He seems salty about Midori, and obviously something that happened in the past must've triggered this type of thinking, but Midori didn't get there because she is a girl. They didn't even know Diesel-san was a girl (I think) when they planned to hire her.

Yes, he is not just jaded but bitter, and taking it out on others. His assumption that Imai got the job because she's a 'cute girl' is obvious wrong, they didn't even know her name when they started using her work, that's why they called her "Diesel", but not entirely unfounded. There are people who will give cute girls privileges, and some girls will take advantage of that. But his thinking is much too simplistic; he's assuming that that is the only thing that ever happens.

tingy said:
As a pretty non-mainstream type of job, and one that doesn't really have a high pay for with a lot of the positions AS WELL AS being high-stress and lots of overtime, I don't see how most would keep sticking with it if they don't at the very least, find it fun.

So there is obviously an untold story about why Hiraoka stays in the industry. If he only sees it as a job, then why not switch to an industry where he would be better paid?

But I find it interesting that Shirobako elicit so strong emotions about the characters. To the point where they 'remembers' characters doing things that never happens. Eg:

Mirorin said:

Hiraoka really annoyed me since the start. Not so much the attitude - I could deal with that somewhat if he actually did his job properly.[...]He needs to get his act together and do his damn work.

(Hiraoka always did his job, the issue stems from his attitude) People do tend to only sort thing in simple categories in their head, so placing everything bad with a character you dislike is nothing odd.

People also gives Madoka a free pass because of their feelings about Hiráoka. Starting a fight and then escalating that fight to indirect violence, kicking chairs and throwing things, that just unacceptable in most companies. More than enough to get someone fired. If you have an issue with someone attitude, you take it with them, in a civil tongue, or with their superior, in this case Miyamori. But that's the limit of acceptable actions.
Mar 1, 2015 12:09 AM

Dec 2008
DarkWolfHunter said:
Miyamori looked really nice when her hair was wet. I'm not creepy, shush.

Nice scenes of Aerial Girls.

Aoi-chan is 11/10 adorable at all times.

And yes, those scenes of Aerial Girls makes me actually want it to be a thing.

Also:

IsGalis said:
Also, only 4 episodes left?! I hope this series gets a second season because I need to see Shizuka getting a real voice acting job and I wish I could see more from Misa (the 3D animator) too. Ah, and I love the OP sequence.

Magito said:
Also, Zuka-chan WHEN!?!

xcess090 said:
I'm just waiting for a bigger role for Zuka.

L-Ryoshi said:
As with everyone here, MORE ZUKA PLEASE!

Nabris said:
Another member for the "We Need More Zuka-chan" train. Unless they're already planning a second season, we need to see how she's been doing! Four episodes isn't a lot of time. D:

Basically this. I think we've spent literally the entire run waiting and hoping to see more of Zuka-chan, so here's hoping P.A. Works finds it in their hearts to have Zuka-chan share the spotlight with her girls at least not just in the last episode. She's a main character, dammit, show her some love, please. >_<;
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Mar 1, 2015 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
I actually liked the first half of this series more. I don't know why but I don't find the mute girl funny at all(more of awkward). Though I still like most of the characters; Tarou Takanashi GO! Seriously I thought that ruler scene felt pretty out of place and exaggerated. Maybe it's because it contradicts the show's realism. Other than that I still liked this episode
Mar 1, 2015 9:54 AM

Jul 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
HachiKirra said:
I don't even care about this Hiraoka guy in the first place but as soon as he rumbled about animation he made me mad. Of course there's a difference with animation done with passion, determination and hard work than a piece of effortless animation. Clearly the guy lacks common sense.

Hiraoka better watch it, I don't anyone to be pessimismizing mai waifu Diesel.

Nah, right now Hiraoka is the most interesting character in that he obviously has the biggest story left to tell: he is this show's Aria. Obviously got completely screwed in the past over an animation, most likely by writer of the show he was working on, this is why he is jealous of Diesel (because the script writer WANTS to work with her) and of course Miyamori. In the end, I fully envision him "starting to fly again", by working with Studio Titanic to save his episode.

Nice episode, Diesel was absolutely darling, and we learn she has a bit of a dark side when it comes to her writing. Not surprising of a girl who had a "Dostoyevsky Day".

Absolutely flawless post right here. I commend you for realizing what this episode was all about. If anyone regards Hiraoka's past, you see why he is such an apathetic being. He isn't like Tarou for he is a much more realistic character you'd see in the work place. I'm not defending the guy as I understand why Madoka went apeshit over his shtick, but it's only sensible to relate to the guy.

And also on the possible season 2 notion, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets one considering Shirobako is an original show aside from the prequel manga and it's selling very well in Japan.
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Mar 1, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2011
I hope HIroka find his passion/answer just like Aria did with flying.

I want to watch Aerial Girls Anime T__T
Mar 1, 2015 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
Hiraoka continuing to be an asshole, and Tarou continuing to be useless.

Okitsu is actually a ninja. Damn.

So, with only 4 episodes left, I think we can officially confirm that Zuka-chan is the most fucked over character of both 2014 and 2015.

Main character who was supposed to represent the seiyuu industry, gets fucked over with no job and no screen time. Basically a wasted character, meanwhile useless Tarou makes it into every fucking episode.

She's like this show's Root A Kaneki: Listed as a main character but fucked over as a supporting character.
Mar 1, 2015 3:51 PM

Oct 2012
Jonesy974 said:
Zuka-chan is the most f****d over character of both 2014 and 2015.
Main character who was supposed to represent the seiyuu industry,
gets f****d over with no job and no screen time. ... Listed as a main
character but f****d over as a supporting character.

Yes, it's weird in an obvious way that all viewers are going to notice. My initial
guess was that Haruka Chisuga (千菅春香) might have been having health
problems or personal/family problems. Apparently, she does not have a Twitter
account, and Twitter accounts are often very good barometers of what is going
on in a celebrity's life. However, Chisuga-san does have her own official blog
here:. . http://ameblo.jp/chisuga-haruka/

It is clear that she has been updating her blog very regularly, and the length
of her posts is fairly consistent. She normally doesn't go more than four days
between posts. She even went all the way through the New Year holidays
making posts every two days. This all points to good news in terms of any
worries about her health and so on.

I guess that one possibility is that the final four episodes of Shirobako will
focus exclusively on Chisuga-san, and that this was what Director Tsutomu
Mizushima had been planning all along. But this doesn't sound too plausible
to me.

Much more likely, something else is wrong, such as a business dispute between
Chisuga-san's management company (FlyingDog, Inc.) and P.A.WORKS Co. Ltd.

In case the above image failed to display, or
for a higher-resolution image, please click on
the link below:
http://s.okmusic.jp/news_images/images/38386/original.jpg
okanaganMar 1, 2015 4:04 PM
Mar 1, 2015 7:02 PM

May 2012
People sort of forgetting that Misa had the least screentime than Shizuka in terms of "main character" status. After her mini arc finished, we didn't see much of her.

But I can't blame them for not appearing much since they are working outside of Musashino Animation, which is focused more. Also, the story doesn't allow for them to be included unless it will be important to the overall plot. Hopefully, we can only wait for their time to shine in these last four episodes or until a second 2-cour season has been greenlit.
zenjamibuMar 1, 2015 7:26 PM
Mar 1, 2015 11:12 PM

Oct 2012
zenjamibu said:
People sort of forgetting that Misa had the least screentime than
Shizuka in terms of "main character" status. After her mini arc
finished, we didn't see much of her.

Woops. Thanks. That's a good point which I had overlooked.

Back in August, before the series started, P. A. Works put out some official
advance information. This was a basis for some anime industry magazine
articles. Here are five of them, all published around August 18th, 2014:
(These ones are all in Japanese.)

http://animeanime.jp/article/2014/08/18/19860.html
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1408358923
http://www.lisani.jp/news/id98412
http://purisoku.com/archives/7468801.html
https://akiba-souken.com/article/21168/

P. A. Works announced the series genre is an "anime industry ensemble drama"
(作品ジャンルは“アニメ業界群像劇”). This is stated in all of those magazine articles.
Here, 群 means "a group" or "a crowd". So it is not simply a standard "drama".

An "Ensemble Drama" is a type of story which in English is described as a
dramatic story with an "Ensemble Cast". See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensemble_cast

A distinctive feature of an "Ensemble Cast" is that there is not a single main
character. As the Wikipedia article says, "the unification of different plot
lines and character arcs is a key characteristic of ensemble casting in film;
whether it's a location, event, or an overarching theme that ties the film and
characters together."

If you go to the official webpage for the series, there is a page which shows
all of the main characters. There are currently 31 of them. This list has been
extended as the series has gone on. See here:
http://shirobako-anime.com/character.html

Therefore, in terms of the official technical classification of the story type
according to P. A. Works, there are not meant to be any main characters. On
the other hand, the official information also says that the story is centered
around five girls following their dreams. That's what it says here under "#00":
http://shirobako-anime.com/story/index.html

The English-language magazine "Tokyo Otaku Mode" translated the genre of
the series as “anime industry drama”, apparently omitting the 群 concept.
http://otakumode.com/news/53f31f845fb0162171402d64/

This French-language anime magazine stated that the genre is "Tranche de
vie, Comédie". (Slice of Life, Comedy)
http://adala-news.fr/2014/08/lanime-shirobako-en-promotion-video/

- - - - - - -

While I was searching for information about this, I came across something else
of interest that was revealed in a Tweet by Tsutomu Mizushima last August:
http://seventhstyle.com/2014/08/28/shirobako-will-have-no-pantsu/
okanaganMar 1, 2015 11:17 PM
Mar 3, 2015 11:10 AM

Feb 2007
Ah, Madoka finally told Hiraoka what we've all thought so far... And it seems to have worked, as surprising as it may seem, probably thanks to the talk with the president later. Hiraoka actually seems to be starting to improve in the end. Let's hope it'll last - as much as I've disliked the guy so far, that would not be a bad way for this to end at all.
Mar 3, 2015 7:23 PM

Jul 2008
HachiKirra said:
I don't even care about this Hiraoka guy in the first place but as soon as he rumbled about animation he made me mad. Of course there's a difference with animation done with passion, determination and hard work than a piece of effortless animation. Clearly the guy lacks common sense.

But his point is pretty valid.
The problem wasn't with what he said but rather with how he said it.

The main issue here is that they are extremely tight on schedule and Madoka asked for a retake of a scene that was completely unneeded. The final result wouldn't have been noticeable and the time could have been used to work on something that would actually matter.

I don't think that either Madoka or Hiraoka is wrong here. If you allow mistake in your work and start being satisfied with it you will undeniably lower your standard, that is true. Your lowered standard will make you satisfied with less and less so the overall quality of your work will take a hit. Nothing is perfect but that is no reason not to aim for your ideals.

Still it is also true that time is lacking and continuing to fix minor details might come at the cost of other scenes. Imagine what would happen if some scenes were horrible because Madoka kept on asking retakes of other scenes that would make no difference in the final result. Could you still say that Hiraoka is wrong in addressing this problem?

The problem wasn't with what Hiraoka said but with how he said it. He made it sound like doing your best and seeking to improve's one work were bad things. He's always aiming for the bare minimum but even that has some sort of merit.

I believe it is wrong for a company to seek the best in their project right off the bat. They should devote themselves to make an even, solid minimum and improve over this. Yes those scenes could have been retaken but only once everything more important than this has been done.
Mar 3, 2015 11:31 PM
Jun 2012
Pekoyama said:
Hiraoka's attitude was off putting (especially in anime form where character attributes are more positive) but I find his character very real. The apology was unexpected though. I thought he would remain problematic and apathetic.

He apologised because he wanted to keep his job. Marukawa was quite clear, even if indirect, that he needed to change if he wanted to stay. So it's not that he actually was sorry. Not that Madoka's return apology was any more honest.

It's realistic too. Hiraoka is the one who has to apologise despite not being the one who started the fight because of his social standing.
Mar 5, 2015 5:32 AM
Jan 2012
Helpme said:
He apologised because he wanted to keep his job. Marukawa was quite clear, even if indirect, that he needed to change if he wanted to stay. So it's not that he actually was sorry. Not that Madoka's return apology was any more honest.

It's realistic too. Hiraoka is the one who has to apologise despite not being the one who started the fight because of his social standing.

I think Marukawa CEO was depicted as being more caring about Hiraoka's quitting the job entirely and messing up his life than threatening to laying him off, but yes you are right in a more realistic vision. Marukawa is a good president; in real life, you have piece of shit as president, sometimes.

I want to hug hug Erika for coming back, but that's another topic...
Mar 5, 2015 9:27 AM

Oct 2008
Quite a commotion & tension rising! Hiraoka still a douche!
Yano won't let Iketani-san escape!
While on the train Diesel is like Miyamori, imitating thoughts.
Tarou is very useless happy go lucky easy to get tricked and fooled guy!
In this episdoe, the last part of the ED song, only Diesel-san is missing out of all five girls.
matias067Mar 5, 2015 9:44 AM

Mar 14, 2015 9:23 AM

Jan 2013
Solid episode, interesting fight.
Mar 20, 2015 6:54 PM
Mar 2012
MoeGod said:
Glad Hiraoka got punched by somebody. The president really knows how to handle people, he's literally the perfect boss (is that even possible? lol).

I'm not surprised by the vague answers that the characters provided since I also work in the animation industry (albeit mostly dealing with 3D like Misa). One thing for sure is that passion alone is not enough. I'm sure most of the people who work in this industry started out as an idealist who simply love anime and want to make one. I'm sure you can apply the same reasoning with people in game or any art-related industry for that matter. At the end of the day though, it's a very taxing industry to be in no matter what field you're focusing on. When you're constantly being chased by deadlines and moving from project to project, at some point you just don't know why you're even doing this anymore and maybe just keep going because it's your livelihood like Watanabe said.

PS: EMA, WHY YOU FUGIN KAWAII? she's somehow so adorable even when sick. 100% waifu material.

I want to see more Misa, since I also work in CG. It's considered a success she changed company, but is she really happy? Moving from tires to planes & more tires. CG has many more focus titles than mechanical modeller we see from Misa. The mocap vs cg animator big debate hasn't happened yet (last season op showed a mocap capture on greenscreen). There's char animator, bg/props animation, mocap TA/TD, cg layout, lighter, render/shaders, coders, effects, etc.

Kunogi's 3 half words said much more than Tarou did about animator insecurity, need for respect, even though they've dirt cheap wage, animation quality shows through and affects the viewer, errors give studios longterm bad reputation (boingboing, OreTwintail, log horizon). Somehow I love the conversations (read: translation) between Kunogi & Ema.

okanagan said:

Okitsu is badass. Long time ago I used to use cheap acrylic animation peg bars. Their flimsy & rounded. But the aluminum kind we borrowed at school was razor thin and quite...deadly.
Mar 23, 2015 4:05 AM

May 2010
Imai has good voice-acting potential.

Wow that was intense. Meanwhile Tarou is just there, all like, "Did you call?" What a way to ruin the atmosphere.

Okitsu is badass!

Hiraoka actually apologized. Don't agree with him when he says that passion and determination is never noticed. Not everyone might but some are bound to notice. Besides, ain't that just a form of you showing satisfaction with your work? I think that's more important.

Hiraoka and Tarou is going to be a funny duo.

Why do they use such super-squeaky loli voices which don't even suit the characters? Titiana, I am looking at you. From her character design, a tad lower voice would have sufficed a lot better.

Diesel is lovable, I love how she isn't backing down.

Great episode.
Mar 28, 2015 8:13 AM

Nov 2007
This anime is so fantastic. Captures the situations so well and you can clearly see how it creates the state of mind of the characters. Very underrated. I am beginning to think this will be one of the gems that anime fans will miss out.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 8, 2015 6:19 AM
May 2012
The fight was pretty intense :O Hiraoka need some bitch slappin'.
Where's my Zuka T^T ??
Apr 13, 2015 5:07 AM

Jan 2009
lol im surprise that Hiraoko guy is still not fired despite all he has done
Apr 14, 2015 1:41 AM
永遠の銀魂

Jul 2012
get rekt, hiraoka
Apr 29, 2015 5:44 PM
Aug 2007
Hehe, I'm glad there's all this hate for Hiraoka.. the guy is a right bastard and I'm glad someone finally snapped at him. Doesn't look like he's changed much but hopefully Tarou can lighten his mood a bit now that they're working together...

Midori is cool.. really liked the train dubbing scene..

And also, where's Shizuka?! Only 4 eps left now so it's pretty obvious they won't all end up working on the same project, which will be quite disappointing..
Apr 29, 2015 7:05 PM

May 2012
Pretty solid episode! That fight though! Let's see what's next.
Apr 30, 2015 5:28 PM
Apr 2013
everyone hates hiraoka but that girl kunogi is so fuckin annoying
Jun 15, 2015 8:14 AM

Nov 2011
Convincing to the end this episode, this series is always enjoyable to follow, even when you're not in the right psychological condition; because it manages to create the right atmosphere. What sorrow to part from it. The clever idea to reuse the argument as to why a person does what he does to deepen the character of Hiraoka; one of the least depth so far. As performance is not bad storytelling, thanks to the small parenthesis "reflection" between Madoka and Daisuke, the comedy of Midori and choice scenic date to end the anime of the Third Squadron. Drawings that this time they are not exempt from small drops of quality, oh well! There would be another matter to do, but cut short and close here the topic. Very good TV series, I want more and more.
Jun 23, 2015 12:40 PM

Sep 2014
Okitsu-san was so cool and badass! Nice job stopping the fight.

Poor Iketani. Yano-san wouldn't let him slack off or run away. xD

Nice and interesting episode all in all. I wonder how Aria's story will end.
Jun 24, 2015 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
I dunno... company infight was interesting topic and Midori's trying to purse her dreams even further was nice, even her problem with Hiraoka (srsly, fire that man out already) but that cow ending was like slap on the face, far from ideal.

I hoped they (MusAni/PA) could do something more impactful, meaningful and better.
Jul 1, 2015 5:10 AM

Oct 2009
Diesel-san is the best <3
Jul 22, 2015 3:14 AM

Mar 2012
So apparently there aren't any fights in girl schools and they make up with steamed buns or donuts whenever they have a disagreement. Seems legit.

The last scene with Miyamori sounds like she was talking about herself.
Aug 15, 2015 8:27 PM

Mar 2012
Why work in anime industry when you hate it so much. Hiraoka should just work at some fast food place, probably would earn more too while getting spit in the face by customers.

What happened to suzuka...
ninja88880Aug 15, 2015 8:35 PM
Aug 30, 2015 8:53 PM

Jul 2014
everyone, I have an important and urgent announcement to make!!!

I think I'm in love with Ema.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2015 10:27 PM

Jun 2009
why was that pilot talking about calves and amniotic fluid. lmao.

that argument was a long time coming.
Sep 16, 2015 2:05 AM

Aug 2009
badass ranking:
1. okitsu
2. yano
3. ema (for being able to f*king decrypt whatever the heck kunogi is saying o_O")

i think at this point in the series they should be coming close to a conclusion of some sort, but i still see many potential character developments. Sucks that the focus is lost on zuka and misa, they are more minor characters than a lot of the supposed 'minor characters' :/

hope they somehow wrap this up without losing what i had hoped for in the first episode
Oct 5, 2015 3:09 PM

Jan 2011
ramenshoujo said:
This ep flew by. Not much happened but still good stuff. I always enjoy the character/story discussions during the meetings.
Ema x hamster girl is sweet.

Also. This is how much I like Hiraoka:

"My life is shit so I act like shit."
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Nov 14, 2015 6:03 AM

Sep 2011
Fuck Hiraoka.
Apr 10, 2016 5:15 PM

Nov 2015
Hiraoka can really a pain in the back... =_=
Diesel-san is at top speed!
Emma is as adorable as always
Yano is... always watching you!

The fight scene was really good, and funny!

I'm gonna miss this anime when it's over =(
I mean, it's so great. Why you do what you do? That a question we don't usually make ourself.
Because of money? Because you are good at it? Because you like it? Because you LOVE it?

This anime gets you in different ways.
Jun 10, 2016 11:48 PM

Mar 2015
Brawl is here!! LOL.
Maybe P.A. will show the past of Hiraoka.

If I am the employee of Musani, the reason will be because I love animu!!! Also want to spread the greatness of anime to the world more than ever.

2.75/5
Jun 26, 2016 8:40 PM

Sep 2015
The closest thing I have to a major criticism of this anime, is I find it has so many characters its five main leads who I quite enjoy sometimes get lost in all the pandemonium. Miyamori as the protagonist gets plenty of screentime, and as part of the Musashi Studio I think we've seen a satisfactory amount of Ema as well. But in the first cour, I wanted to see more of the other three.

That being said this episode gave us quite a bit of Rii-chan and it was wonderful. Since she's also joined Musashi this cour we've seen more of her in general in a supporting role. But here we see real progress in her dreams to be a writer. I loved the slightly puzzling opening scene where she's doing a writing exercise given by Maitake. Her eagerness to learn from him and annoying him by calling him master was cute too. I also was once again struck by how relatable Rii-chan can be, I loved her little speech about how she NEEDS stories and wants to make them as well. Many of us who are commenting in a thread on an anime episode can I'm sure relate. Her biggest scene of the episode was getting shit on by Hiraoka though. His comments were spiteful, her reaction was very natural (I particularly loved her dejectedly giving voices to her fellow train travelers) and I was happy when she stood up for herself at the end and told him off.

Hiraoka had a lot going on this episode. After continuing to be the most difficult and unlikable person at Musashino (at least Tarou means well in his misguided way) animator Madoka calls him out for being a lazy, mopey and uncooperative co worker. This leads to a fist fight which shakes things up at the studio. As I said in a previous post I kind of expected Hiraoka to be like the quiet savante of this season. And I've enjoyed that rather than that he's had his smug attitude thrown back in his face for the last two episodes. Marukawa's comment "You wouldn't get angry if it wasn't true" was particularly cutting. I also thought it was funny Tarou and the Director described the fight in the same way.

On a final note, from day one there's been the ever growing subtext that Aoi lacks a sense of purpose despite being passionate about making an anime with her friends. It's been a little overwrought as a whole but it's wrung true enough to anyone who's had existential thoughts that I didn't mind. Here it was brought to the forefront which felt natural as we near the end of the series. Maitake asks Aoi at a production meeting, why does she make anime? Aoi of course is unable to answer but we end up in an extended segment getting an answer from nearly everyone who works at the studio. It was a moving sequence, and many of the answers were thought provoking (quite a few were also funny), it was a great sequence and I look forward to seeing what answer Aoi comes up with in these last four episodes.
SubscriberSunJun 26, 2016 8:43 PM
Jul 24, 2016 9:55 PM

Aug 2012
-Midori doing what seems to be brainstorming about coffee
-Director's as carefree as always, making anime for the hell of it
-Turns out Midori's pursuing her dream of becoming a writer while working for MusAni
-Those were some pretty lackluster portmanteau translations with Crunchy's subs
-Erika's reason was pretty expertly delivered
-Yamada the existentialist or whatever they're called
-Kinda strange that the Iketani guy is being used for comic relief
-That sleeping guy looked really freaked out by Midori's scenario brainstorming
-Looks like Midori took what Hiraoka said seriously
-Altercation between Hiraoka and Madoka was bound to happen eventually, and serious Okitsu makes a return
-Marukawa paying attention to his employees as always
-Kunogi was the last person I expected to talk back to Hiraoka
-Midori's getting some pretty good learning opportunities, at least, despite the fact that they used nothing she wrote
-Misa gets the spotlight in the ED, despite the bottom color trail being green, which was weird

This episode was okay. Only one notable thing really happened.
ThreePercentJul 24, 2016 10:01 PM
Aug 2, 2016 8:32 AM

Oct 2011
Man, I'm currently in my final stages of college and I can totally relate to Miyamori's internal struggle. Constantly questioning your life decisions and never feeling justified really sucks...Meanwhile, everyone around you seems to have hit their stride and are doing the things they love, and have a clear idea of their future...
Aug 5, 2016 5:14 AM

Jul 2013
That dialogue at the end.....*vomits.
Sep 19, 2016 12:51 AM

Sep 2013
Being from Texas, I was kind of excited when one of the aerial girl pilots talked about returning to Texas. Then she started talking about delivering baby calves and living on a ranch and stuff (because everyone from Texas must ride horses and lives on a ranch and spend time delivering livestock...). Sigh, I've never even touched a horse...or a cow for that matter. Some of us Texan folk are actual city-dwellers!

Oh well, still an enjoyable episode!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 17, 2016 11:27 PM

Jul 2016
When I get to have a secretary, She must now have the following traits -

• Must be hot, but faithful.
  • Must be able to give good romance tips and stand in as a great drinking buddy (Even if the drink is not alcohol)
  • Must be knowledgeable in all fields.
    And
  • Must be agile enough to deflect a flying projectile and must be adept at combat, be it hand-to-hand, explosives or guns.

Thanks for the save Okitsu.

Quick Fun Fact :- Mai Nakahara, the voice actor of Yuka Okitsu, also voiced Dan Fei in Thunderbolt Fantasy, Megumi Fujita in Sakamoto Desu Ga?, Rena Ryugu in Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, and Nagisa Furukawa in Clannad.
SirKnight007Oct 17, 2016 11:32 PM
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Apr 15, 2017 7:22 PM

May 2010
Gosh, not only is Hiraoka a total jerk, but he's a sexist pig too -_- It would be one thing if he was just an asshole and was doing properly his job, but he's half-assed even about it! I seriously doubt he can change in any way with this attitude, sigh.
Jun 30, 2017 12:12 AM

Dec 2014
5/5 About damn time...

Diesel-san is so funny and cute especially in the train scene , i also really like her voice.

That fight though, about damn time Hiraoka get some criticism about how he act and work.

The moment when Tarou is about to get hit, i get a flashback of Another lol.
Jul 18, 2017 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
The things Hiraoka said to Imai when they bumped into each other came out of no where and was absolutely unnecessary. Idk how some people can live their lives with constant negative thoughts like that.

I love how Taoru just nonchalantly walked in on the fight when his name was called 😂
I really disliked him at the start of the show, but he's grown on me. Well that's probably because he's not screwing everything up anymore haha.

The relationship of how Ema can understand Ai when she never finishes her words is adorable and great to watch :)
Jan 15, 2018 11:04 AM

Apr 2015
Very rarely do I get so attached/want to protect anime characters who aren't cute, vulnerable girls, but pls do not bully the director.

"Must be nice being a girl." Must be nice being a piece of shit, Hiraoka. I'm really glad someone called him out on it, though I don't really see him changing. He did apologize but has the same "whatever" attitude as always.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2014

110 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

139 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

116 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2014

143 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

166 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 12, 6:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.