Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Oct 4, 2013 9:42 AM

Jul 2012
Araby said:
Orsonius said:
Yeah great animation, too bad it is wasted on artwork that looks fucking terrible.
>SEL in favourites
>complains about artwork
>http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2120/3537729556_c326e72741_z.jpg

>anime from 1998
>made by a minor studio which sucks ass

Also I know that Lain looks pretty shit most of the time. It's nonetheless better than this garbage.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Oct 4, 2013 9:43 AM

Jun 2013
And I thought FLCL was insane.

Awesome first episode.
Oct 4, 2013 9:57 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/3273/Kinnikuman_(1984)

This?
It's a novel by George Orwell.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 4, 2013 9:59 AM

Oct 2007
As an action series and in general I found this intro better than Kyokai no Kanata's this week in just about every way possible. Even the look of it has more style and captures my attention and imagination more.
Oct 4, 2013 10:02 AM

Jan 2012
As much as I tried to hold back my excitement to prevent dissapointment, I have to admit that this was a really, really good start for a series like this. Sure, the pacing was rather fast right off the bat and I needed a few minutes to get used to it, but it was a smooth sailing after that, especially because it actually fits the series's overall attitude that seems to be a blend of FLCL and TTGL. Not only that, but the visual portion is a fine job as well: I love the way the show mixes current day quality and excellent cinematography with a style reminiscent of shows from the '90s, and I like how it's jam-packed with minute details that not only enhance the show's non-serious and over the top attitude in general, but also gives the characters personality as a whole.

The only thing I'm concerned is the possibility of Trigger running out of ideas and thus making the show exhausted way before it finishes, but for now, I eagerly look forward what things this show will bring to the table. Even more so considering this show seems to have enough self-awareness to even integrate Ryuko's "slightly" ridicilous outfit in the way it's supposed to be: yes, it looks ridicilous and fanservicey as hell, but the show is fully aware of it (as opposed to shows that take even the most ridicilous and blatant attempts at fanservice seriously), to the point of poking fun at it by making Fukuroda attempt to strip, and it being topped with the lip-licking.

In regards of Ryuko: I hoped she won't gonna be one of those "badass, edgy" female characters who practically traded her emotions for thoughness, and while the three minutes long trailer made me optimistic, it's good to see that Ryuko turned out to be a likeable MC who has the attitude and self-confidence of a fighter, but still a good-natured kid. It's a minor thing compared to she being genuinenly surprised by the weirdness of the town, but I like the way she "stole" the scooter: not only she immidiately came back to put down the delivery but also returned the scooter with an apologetic message left on it, I think this was a nice touch in characterisation even if the scooter-stealing scene was more of an amusingly random way to intentionally steer away from the "too serious" attitude the viewer might feel from Ryuko getting beaten up (just like how it steered away from the over the topness of Ryuko finishing off Fukuruda with stopping the music, then changing it to a serious one when his blood hits Satsuki's face).
Oct 4, 2013 10:05 AM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Mako looks almost exactly like Chie from Persona 4. It's kind of funny considering how she is in the anime.
Oct 4, 2013 10:08 AM

Jul 2010
Overload of fanservice, but it wasn't annoying (for now).
Nice plot, epic fights, Sawano-sama did the OST and funny/bizarre art. These are the requirements that will make me want to continue Kill la Kill.
Also... Yes .. I admit it, the outfit of the MC too, but don't say it to anyone.

We know how many episodes it will be?

VioLink said:
http://i.imgur.com/K9Hu0fF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nWwYJwH.jpg
Hot damn, the things I would do to that body.

I feel you man, I feel you ...
Oct 4, 2013 10:10 AM

Apr 2009
i'd bang that main character.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Oct 4, 2013 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Orsonius said:
This is absolutely fucking retarded.

LOL RANDOM SHIT 20 min... how can anyone even watch this without cringing all the time?

What a waste of fucking time. SHIT ANIME IS SHIT.

It also looks fucking disgusting. Yeah great animation, too bad it is wasted on artwork that looks fucking terrible. I mean why not just watch a cartoon instead, they look at least as shit as this bullshit.

Hold the phone. What do you mean random? It wasn't that random. Perhaps towards the end of the first episode where suddenly the boxing like match happened, but otherwise it wasn't that random. And why would anyone cringe? And how does it suck? What's wrong with its artwork? I thought it was gorgeous artwork and had a really unique style. And it did not look cartoony. It looked anime-y with unique Trigger animation. Some of the art looked a like Gurren Lagann. And not all cartoons look bad.
Orsonius said:

I hate it too, and don't watch TTGL it's at least as shitty as this anime.

It's just over the top random bullshit. Don't look for a decent story, characters or good comedy it's just like Loony Toons or some other random crap like that.

TTGL is not bad in the slightest. I suppose you could dislike it, but to say its bad? And yes, both this and TTGL are pretty over the top, but they are far from random. Don't look for a good story? Did you even finish TTGL? Sure, it starts out as a "Defeat all the commanders and take back the land" type thing, but then it escalates and ties everything together, making it something more and have an actual interesting storyline. Kill La Kill might do something similar to that. It might start out as a "Defeat all of the Elite Four" type thing, but then it might turn into something more. It might have a good story. Give it time, that was just episode 1. Bad characters? No. Name something wrong with the current characters as of now. Are they unrealistic for what they are? Do they fail to serve their purpose in the anime? Do they not have personalities? And how is it anything like Looney Tunes?
Oct 4, 2013 10:47 AM

Dec 2012
silversaint said:
ill be honest, not a good first impression, the animation is good but dont like the artstyle that much, hope it gets better

Hope what gets better? The art style?

Do you think when you type or do you just throw out random words and hope they form sentences?

Xinistrad said:
After reading the comments I'm acually surprised with how so many people loved it.
I didn't know people loved random brainless action so much?

First of all, duh people like brainless action. Second of all, duh anime fans like brainless action. Considering how anime is "the medium of limited animation", solid action is hard to come by. And third, this isn't random brainless action. This is brilliant brainless action.

Mr7Beans said:
aaand boring.

Insert One Piece joke here.

nina4life said:
With that being sad, I'll say sorry to myself, seeing how I wasted 20 minutes of my short life and I promise I won't do it anymore.

Insert Simpsons joke here.

And yes, that is sad.

Orsonius said:
It also looks fucking disgusting. Yeah great animation, too bad it is wasted on artwork that looks fucking terrible. I mean why not just watch a cartoon instead, they look at least as shit as this bullshit.

I'll be sure to tell Trigger that in the future they should submit their art style to the Visual Style Verification and Approval Office. Well, I won't, because I don't speak Japanese, but I'll find somebody who does.
Oct 4, 2013 10:53 AM

Sep 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
I just hope there isnt much fanservice, i mainly just say that cause of ryuuko's outfit in the sailor uniform was unnecessarily revealing and i dont want it getting in the way of potentially serious scenes
I think fans in Japan can take both at the same time without worrying too much about one getting in the way of another...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 4, 2013 11:00 AM

Sep 2012
OK at best. The fast pacing and non-stop action is nice, but it won't be enough to keep me interested in that show for too long. The fanservice isn't doing much for me, it's like Gurren Lagann, all those "steel" reference and those explosions are a huge turn off for me, it seems that even the girls have dicks. Instead of exciting me, it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

Will most likely drop this.
Oct 4, 2013 11:24 AM

Mar 2012
okay first episode was great i hope the whole show will be like this, but now it looks alot better than Overrating on titans.
Oct 4, 2013 11:25 AM

Jan 2013
SetsukoHara said:
OK at best. The fast pacing and non-stop action is nice, but it won't be enough to keep me interested in that show for too long. The fanservice isn't doing much for me, it's like Gurren Lagann, all those "steel" reference and those explosions are a huge turn off for me, it seems that even the girls have dicks. Instead of exciting me, it makes me feel really uncomfortable.

never judge an anime by its first episode U_U
Oct 4, 2013 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
So manly, yet so sexy.
Oct 4, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2012
Wow so Sawano is doing the OST for this? No wonder some of the tracks sounded unusually good, as in, way better than I expected an anime like this to have

The guy is a musical genius, I'll have to stay tuned just to hear the new stuff he's come up with
Oct 4, 2013 11:59 AM

Aug 2009
Orsonius said:

LOL RANDOM SHIT 20 min... how can anyone even watch this without cringing all the time?

Now i remember why i hated this site.
Oct 4, 2013 12:01 PM

Sep 2012
Klanma said:
SetsukoHara said:

never judge an anime by its first episode U_U

Lol, most posts in this thread are judging this anime based on the first episode, and you just had to quote my post. I guess you wanted to say:

"never criticize an anime I like by its first episode U_U"
Oct 4, 2013 12:02 PM

Apr 2013
AzureFlame24 said:
Orsonius said:

Don't worry. There is still 405 people out there that loved it!
Oct 4, 2013 12:09 PM

Feb 2010
AzureFlame24 said:
Orsonius said:

Why? because all the 430 post aren't "WOW DIS ANIME SO GUD" ?
Oct 4, 2013 12:21 PM

Apr 2013
I wasn't expecting that...
It was such a nonsense... a big what the fuckery...
AND GOD, I LOVE THAT! This was so much fun to watch =w=
I'm not disappointed!
Oct 4, 2013 12:21 PM

Mar 2013
Has the Gurren Lagann feel lol
I have a feeling the battles are going to get intense like they did in Gurren Lagann, and there might be some tragedy involved too.
Love the idea of the ranks in power.
Oct 4, 2013 12:26 PM

Mar 2008
tsudecimo said:
Tony777 said:
pizza_012 said:
While i was doing something productive, I just realized how crappy the show was. It was definitely a shot action-wise but all of it seemed laughable. Dunno why people are loving this.

Because you have to realize SAO is one of the most overrated animes in history. Any type of feel and resemblance to it will give most people an orgy.

Lol, true.

i think you guys are right

...is there a violation for editing? :P

but still opinion is opinion
Oct 4, 2013 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
That was great.
I noticed right off the bat what they wanted to do was make everything over the top, from characters, fan service, action, comedy and so-on and it sure as hell did that. It worked out pretty damn well in this episode, what I'm concerned with is if it can continue that the whole way without losing its touch.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 4, 2013 12:33 PM

Oct 2009
bokami said:
Tony777 said:
pizza_012 said:
While i was doing something productive, I just realized how crappy the show was. It was definitely a shot action-wise but all of it seemed laughable. Dunno why people are loving this.

Because you have to realize SAO and TTGL are some of the most overrated animes in history. Any type of feel and resemblance to it will give most people an orgy.

i think you guys are right

...is there a violation for editing? :P

but still opinion is opinion

Guess what? I'm here to help you, so I fix my original comment. By the way, opinions can be wrong. I never made one, I just stated a fact.
ToilgameshOct 4, 2013 12:36 PM
Oct 4, 2013 12:39 PM

Mar 2011
AzureFlame24 said:
Orsonius said:

insert "stop hating what I like" picture here

You should learn how to handle different opinions
Oct 4, 2013 12:42 PM

Aug 2010
I don't really get the hype yet.

The story, setting and main two girl characters are cool, but the art style was a little too panty and stocking, without being the homage to western animation that panty and stocking was.

It was stylish and over the top, but a couple notches too high on the crudeness levels for me. Her outfit almost looked badass, then it was skimpy and stupid. There was just a lot of dumb all over this episode.
Maybe it's not my thing, I dunno. I couldn't stand FLCL. But I think the right amounts of over the top can be excellent.
Oct 4, 2013 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Vanisher said:
AzureFlame24 said:
Orsonius said:

Why? because all the 430 post aren't "WOW DIS ANIME SO GUD" ?
Raziel1991 said:

insert "stop hating what I like" picture here

You should learn how to handle different opinions
No, the problem is the way the person hated on it. The person didn't really provide any real reason why they said it was bad, they simply wrote extremely strong negative words about it and called it stupid without explaining themselves.
Oct 4, 2013 12:52 PM

Mar 2011
ovoon7 said:
I don't really get the hype yet.
Her outfit almost looked badass, then it was skimpy and stupid. There was just a lot of dumb all over this episode.

From what I hear her outfit might actually start covering more of her skin after defeating more enemies and absorbing more threads. I really hope thats the case because her outfit and her blushing made the fight against the boxer really cringeworthy and just plain terrible.
Oct 4, 2013 12:53 PM

Aug 2010
I wasn't expecting much but... THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!
I just hope it keeps going like this! Matoi is soooo cool.
Oct 4, 2013 1:04 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoyed it. Based on the PVs I expected it to be really over the top and ridiculous, and it was. I am curious to see how the anime will play out though. If it becomes her just fighting a new student or council member each week it could get old fast.

The main girls are cool though.
Oct 4, 2013 1:24 PM
Jul 2009
I hope the climax in this first episode won't be followed by a series of flashbacks and boring explanation episodes that would diminish the interest.

The fanservice is a bit over the top making it NSFW in an unnecessary way, the plot is ridiculous in a good sense but it has great visuals, music and pace. It reminds of old GAINAX.
Oct 4, 2013 1:26 PM

Jan 2013
The first episode was so good
cant wait to see more
Oct 4, 2013 1:35 PM
Dec 2012
Interesting. Obviously the show is not for everyone. Not a few people may dislike the intentionally old-fashioned art style. Felt like homage to 70s anime. Also somehow reminded me of Revolutionary Girl Utena and Tarantino's live action film Kill Bill. Much more powerful and straightforward than today's LN-based anime. And much more approachable than Utena, and much more comical than Kill Bill. The episode blew my mind. I perceived the creator's irrepressibility through the screen. The studio Trigger surely triggered something. The plot seemed rather simple and trite, yet the enjoyment level was very high. It's owed to the brilliant execution.

The show stole the season so far. I think 5th or 6th episode will be crucial for prospects of the series. (A lot of anime get stale or lose charm from 5th or 6th ep.) Would be amazing if the series kept the quality till the finale. It's a long way to go.
Oct 4, 2013 1:48 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode and they referenced George Orwell! I read Animal Farm last year and I recently read 1984 and it's wonderful. Already had high expectations but dayum it broke them quick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
Oct 4, 2013 1:54 PM

Nov 2010
Woa!
This was so random, fast paced and over the top
Such greatness in the style of FLCL and more of their former work

I doubt I can keep this up till the end without waddling in ice to slow/cool down
Oct 4, 2013 1:57 PM

Mar 2013
eminagnam said:
Interesting. Obviously the show is not for everyone. Not a few people may dislike the intentionally old-fashioned art style. Felt like homage to 70s anime. Also somehow reminded me of Revolutionary Girl Utena and Tarantino's live action film Kill Bill. Much more powerful and straightforward than today's LN-based anime. And much more approachable than Utena, and much more comical than Kill Bill. The episode blew my mind. I perceived the creator's irrepressibility through the screen. The studio Trigger surely triggered something. The plot seemed rather simple and trite, yet the enjoyment level was very high. It's owed to the brilliant execution.

The show stole the season so far. I think 5th or 6th episode will be crucial for prospects of the series. (A lot of anime get stale or lose charm from 5th or 6th ep.) Would be amazing if the series kept the quality till the finale. It's a long way to go.

I also ended up comparing it to the often hyper-violent nature of Quentin Tarantino's films (especially Kill Bill) when I explained it to some friends in order to get them interested in watching it.
Oct 4, 2013 2:05 PM

Jan 2013
KiraMustDie said:
I was really looking forward to this, and by god it did not disappoint.

I've been a huge fan of this team's work since I was a kid watching FLCL. I've always loved their style of animation. Fast, over-the-top, throwing everything at you. I love their approach to their animation by having fun and letting themselves go. People complaining about the cartoon-y action seem to forget that anime are, well, cartoons (I don't care what anyone says, anime are cartoons, and that's not a bad thing), and that allows them to get away with crazy stuff like this, and not limit themselves with unnecessary realism. Also, their appreciation of the western anime fanbase just makes me love them a little more. Yeah, they may not be the most cerebral anime ever made, and not everyone will like them, but that doesn't mean it's not smart or well put together. Sometimes "simple" entertainment that succeed at what they're trying to do can be much smarter than something that tries too hard to be complex and thought-provoking. This anime reminded me as to why I love these guys in the first place, and I'm looking forward to more.
Indeed, well said.

Orsonius said:

LOL personal taste my friend.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
As an action series and in general I found this intro better than Kyokai no Kanata's this week in just about every way possible. Even the look of it has more style and captures my attention and imagination more.
Shhh...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 4, 2013 2:06 PM

Aug 2009
eminagnam said:
Felt like homage to 70s anime.

Not only to anime but also to Japanese cinema (e.g. those big red letters remind me typestyle that was used in Japanese 70s movie titles). Particularly so called sukeban genre. Ryuuko seems to be homage to tough girls that were protagonists of those movies. Tarantino's Kill Bill was also homage to sukeban movies so your observation is 100% correct ;) Also there is a bit of Cutie Honey.
Oct 4, 2013 2:31 PM

Jul 2012
Amazing!
Oct 4, 2013 2:33 PM

Feb 2012
Well that didn't disappoint.
Oct 4, 2013 2:35 PM

Jun 2012
Didn't bore me, but it felt pretty annoying. I got better in the later half, but I still don't like it very much.
Oct 4, 2013 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
As a grumpy, critical guy who dislikes or is indifferent to most current anime I gotta say this show is fun; probably the funnest thing I've seen since Gurren Lagann itself or FLCL. Hell, the school body itself sort of even reminds me of Invader Zim for whatever reasons.

I absolutely love how they take the groan inducing battle shounen and school SoL cliches i'm so used to seeing such as power levels, transfer students, all powerful student councils, and such and turn them into a fun, comedic parody.

I eagerly await episode two.
Oct 4, 2013 2:59 PM
Oct 2010
Cabron said:

Ha, it's also weird because he has rated railgun S and Bakemontagari so highly.. one of which has no direction and the other is an anime trying to be intelligent with its dialogue but it's pretty trash overall and people probably just enjoy it for the fanservice.
Oct 4, 2013 3:01 PM
Jun 2013
Heard good things about show.

Watched. Was not impressed.

Found the art muted and simplistic, the plot nonsensical, the animation overly exaggerated and inconsistent, and the characters one dimensional (so far). This actually may or may not be intentional.

Liked the female lead. Only reason I persevered. Her motives archetypal in origin and execution but I found her interesting, not sure why. Was disappointed with her sexualization towards the end. No point to it.

They say the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, but maybe not in this case. The sum seems very low to me. Will watch more before damning as incoherent garbage.
Oct 4, 2013 3:07 PM

Feb 2012
skudoops said:
Cabron said:

Ha, it's also weird because he has rated railgun S and Bakemontagari so highly.. one of which has no direction and the other is an anime trying to be intelligent with its dialogue but it's pretty trash overall and people probably just enjoy it for the fanservice.

That's also personal taste
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Oct 4, 2013 3:09 PM
Oct 2010
Nucksen said:
skudoops said:
Cabron said:

That's also personal taste

I was merely contrasting his opinion with some of the shows he rated highly. Which is why I found it weird.
Oct 4, 2013 3:14 PM

Dec 2012
skudoops said:
Cabron said:

an anime trying to be intelligent with its dialogue but it's pretty trash overall and people probably just enjoy it for the fanservice.

If that's was true then Nise should have been ranked in the top 50. If you really think Bakemonogatari is trash then you should make a thread in the sub forums expanding your points and reasoning behind that and make it open for discussion, instead of spamming it in an irrelevant topic.

Also the whole you have x in your favorites therefore your taste is shit is really petty, childish and idiotic. This isn't /a/.
Oct 4, 2013 3:19 PM

May 2012
Well I'm sold lol. Was a pretty bad ass 1st episode. I'm glad to finally see another anime that's in the style of TTGL. I don't mind the fan service at all.
I hope the quality stays good throughout the entire series. This could even surpass Inferno Cop, but that may be setting the bar a little too high.

Over 9000!/10
Oct 4, 2013 3:21 PM

Jun 2012
That was one intense numeral uno episode. I liked how they payed homage to the Gainax-style animation. Its animation style sat my mind and body on fire the same way TTGL did. Looking forward to more.
Pages (18) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

958 by kitsune_blade »»
Jun 16, 10:35 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2013

264 by Tamasul »»
Jun 1, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

300 by Tamasul »»
May 31, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2013

337 by Kamirura »»
May 29, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

189 by Tamasul »»
May 27, 1:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.