Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2019 6:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, I guess Gripen is lacking a bit of common sense. Poor Kei. Seems she and Eagle also developed somewhat of a rivalry.

Oh yeah, that Phantom girl met Kei this episode. She's almost like the opposite of Eagle but also quite prideful. I personally like Phantom's aircraft style more than the other two tbh.

Now that they got the main girls together, I'm curious to see where they'll take this story.
Stark700Feb 7, 2019 8:50 AM
Feb 7, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2010
Sometimes i wonder how children are born in Japan if all Japanese man are like anime characters who don't dare to look at a naked girl...
Anyway the new girls seems ok but she doesn't really add much to the anime right now.
Feb 7, 2019 10:39 AM
Jan 2017
This episode wasn't bad by any means but it feels like a step down from last week's episode. Kei and Gripen once again come short against Eagle, who proves to be the superior pilot. This setback feels a bit jarring, especially since last week's episode gave Kei a chance to become as physically impressive as the Anima. I get it, he's not gonna become a great co-pilot overnight and he has to refine his new power-up in time, but it kinda feels like Kei and Gripen have become rookies, which is a personal problem I have with modern storytelling: the pre-existing character gets brought down a few pegs just to prop up or propel a new character forward.

And it's not just Eagle who gets the better of Kei and Gripen, new Anima Phantom also outsmarts our protagonists in a test of skill. The interesting part about this is the aftermath: Kei and Gripen argue that it's wrong to share false information with allies, especially in during wartime, but Phantom argues desperate times call for desperate measures. Overall, this just paints a bad pictures for the Daughters, since Kei says they are supposed to work together, but they are more interested in doing their own thing. It will be interesting to see how this problem is handled but this episode had a slow pacing and deliver a minimal amount of character development.

Despite this setback, Girly Air Force is one of my favorite shows for this season and I look forward to next week's episode.
Feb 7, 2019 10:41 AM

Mar 2017
Annoying characters. Eagle and Phantom both annoyed the sh*t out of me. Not to mention Kei.
Feb 7, 2019 11:25 AM

Apr 2009
Minar-kyun said:
Annoying characters. Eagle and Phantom both annoyed the sh*t out of me. Not to mention Kei.
Agreed on that brother :)
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Feb 7, 2019 12:01 PM

Nov 2016
Not really a fan of Phantom, but Gripen and Eagle are still gureto.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 7, 2019 12:39 PM
Mar 2017
Phantom makes her appearance, I did not like her very much, but at least she knows how to fight.
Today Eagle bothers me a lot, she is very presumptuous and makes little Gripen feel bad.
Angry Gripen is so cute and adorable, the part where she is in the gym with Eagle was very adorable when she was going to use the bars and she did not reach them.
Today Gripen invites Kei to her room and as expected Kei is nervous to be in a girl's room, the funny thing was when Gripen begins to undress, in addition Kei have a big surprise when Gripen comes out naked from the shower.
Kei is the classic good boy, he sees a girl in trouble and helps her immediately, the funny thing is that this girl did not seem so innocent at the end, especially when the next day she returns and presents herself as Phantom, the third Anima of the group.
Phantom, Eagle and Gripen clash in a practice combat and Phantom does justice to her name, she disappears from the radar and attacks Eagle and Gripen, but at the end of the practice Gripen discovers that Phantom used a trick to disappear from the radars and the call her cheater.
Things get tense with the arrival of Phantom, how will this new team work now?
Feb 7, 2019 12:44 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its actually quite funny seeing Gripen try and compete with Eagle. Still its nice seeing Kei try so hard to help Gripen though. Gripen sure knows some rather suspicious words though. Nice to see the base get some more reinforcements though. The phantom II huh. So i guess the spirit of teamwork doesn't really exist among the anima. That mock battle though sure was fun. While Phantom's reason for cheating wasn't wrong it won't help in allowing her to make friends here at all. Decent ep that did well to expand upon Kei and Gripen's bond while also introducing a curious new character in the form of phantom.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2019 1:13 PM

Jun 2016
Glad I’m not the only one who isn’t a big fan of Phantom.

Honestly, this episode annoyed me quite a lot which is a shame since this is my guilty pleasure of the season.

I enjoyed Eagle when she was introduced, but damn, she was annoying as hell in this episode and really ruined my enjoyment. Phantom wasn’t horrible, but I’m not digging her so far. I know the girls will develop and bond a friendship as the series goes on, but now I’m just missing the time where the show was just about Gripen and Kei.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Feb 7, 2019 1:14 PM
May 2017
Aversa said:
Sometimes i wonder how children are born in Japan if all Japanese man are like anime characters who don't dare to look at a naked girl...
Anyway the new girls seems ok but she doesn't really add much to the anime right now.

no, Japanese men are more like hentai characters. just look at the sexual history of the Imperial Japanese Army in WWII - it puts all hentai to shame.
Feb 7, 2019 1:15 PM
May 2017
so, I still don't get why they chose the third plane to be a Phantom, and not a Su-27 (or variants thereof), or a MiG-31.
Feb 7, 2019 1:55 PM

Aug 2018
Gripen really is trying to be best girl, but atleast she's the cutest.

PSA for Kei: You wouldn't lewd an airplane. Lewding airplanes is bad.

Phantom is alright. It's just a shitty way how to introduce her.
Protecc the airplane waifu's.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Feb 7, 2019 4:28 PM
Jan 2019
Now "The Powerpuff Girls" are together.Lol.
Feb 7, 2019 5:05 PM

May 2018
So Phantom decides to get an advantage in the exercise by.... cheating. While she does have a point (the xi certainly don't play fair), come on man, this was practice and your first time with the others, that's not really a good impression.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Feb 7, 2019 6:46 PM

Mar 2015
This episode was, so far, the one I liked least. The show was fine, but just seemed pretty average to me.
The sword that takes life gives life
Feb 7, 2019 6:57 PM

Apr 2011
Its nice to see the trio finally together. But their meeting wasn't good.

Eagle acting like a kid here got me annoyed but I like her perky attitude. Phantom really leaves a bad impression. They don't get along. I wonder if Kei fix that and focus on the other two and not just Gripen.
Feb 7, 2019 8:29 PM

Aug 2018
I appreciated the fact all Animas finally gathered but gosh, it was actually a rude & pushy way to introduce each other.

Although I found weird their conclusion to Phantom's power / abilities. She literally is able to interact with other electronical systems to create a fake or disorient their pilots, that remains extremely powerful. It really annoyed me when they accused her of cheating : I would have expected a bit of positive surprise instead of a negative vibe.

Anyway, pretty sure their relations will evolve & they won't stay rivals for long.
Feb 7, 2019 11:48 PM

May 2015
Eagle being quite childish there...

Geez Haruka, lay off on the smokes!

Gripen's so cute...

Wow, Kei knows how to pick up girls...

Phantom is a sneaky anima...

IMTU...Imouto!

Jet fight! Phantom vs. Eagle and Gripen!

Phantom has stealth!

Aww Eagle lost this time lol.

Quoted for Truth:

Wait...you mean it wasn't stealth technology that Phantom was using? She was just spreading false info? I guess that was foreshadowed when she dismantled that guy's phone. Well that would be a good tactic to use against the Xi to jam their communications and such. Does that work though?

Eagle may be a thorn to Gripen, but Phantom is going to be a real problem for all of them if she has her way. So how is Kei going to convince her to cooperate?
TarotistFeb 7, 2019 11:51 PM
Feb 8, 2019 4:09 AM

Oct 2007
The highlight of this episode for me is Gripen trying to reach the bars.
Then Gripen inviting Kei to her room, she showed him a good time indeed. xD

Phantom seems to be the most mature of the three airplane girls. She behaves like an adult, and a tricky one too.
Feb 8, 2019 12:36 PM

Feb 2015
Slightly bizzare they are using a 50 year old plane in this series. The Phantom isn't exactly a classic. Should have used a Tornado GR4 or Blackbird Pretty poor episode, lots of childish bickering and poorly executed fights.
Feb 8, 2019 1:18 PM

May 2018

Sp Phantom girl has appeared and she doesn't look nice.
Feb 8, 2019 1:39 PM

Oct 2007
airfoilfan87 said:

..also noticed Phantom's engine did sounded like a J79 Turbojet.. at least for me =D I wished they'd record sounds from real jets as much as possible..

..smile of someone seeming to hide something

I kinda prefer her "Black" Hair

Black hair would look good on her too. :)

Would be cool if they record the engine sound of the real jets, altough if they can't... that's still ok for me.

Scary if the Zai suddenly found a way to do the same things as Phantom did this episode.
Feb 8, 2019 1:55 PM

Apr 2009
That Panthom girl is another bitchy mudak that i could anger at f*ck that shit :|
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Feb 8, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2017
airfoilfan87,you have models of these?
Where the hell did you get them from?
Feb 8, 2019 11:12 PM

Oct 2008
Phantom has been introduced...
LOL as expected! the three girls won't get along!
4/5.

Feb 9, 2019 3:15 AM

Oct 2007
Strange, I expected them to all get along fine because they were born from Zai. And the Zai are good at working together.

I guess turning a Zai into a moe girl will cause them to become hostile with each other.
Liddo-kunFeb 9, 2019 3:19 AM
Feb 9, 2019 3:53 AM

Jun 2017
A new Anima has been introduced, I wonder how things will turn out now, as for that new character, she's quite prideful but also smart, Eagle is just dumb.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Feb 9, 2019 6:06 AM

May 2016
Welp, took not long till Phantom finally appeared on screen.

That Gripin shower scene tho ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 9, 2019 6:09 AM

May 2016
airfoilfan87 said:
commander31able said:
so, I still don't get why they chose the third plane to be a Phantom, and not a Su-27 (or variants thereof), or a MiG-31.

Because the F-4 Phantom is one of JASDF's frontline jets?
Though they're set to retire the F-4 this year..

whilst having a Gripen is kinda weird though..

==
I actually liked this Episode and I kinda like Phantom even more.. just as what imagined her to be... having a very sharp tongue like what the japanese wikis and reviews stated back then...

Though I thought she'd used her EPCM Pod in the Mock Dogfight.. instead she hacked their Anima JTIDs/Network whatever it was..

===
Some armchair pilot thoughts ..just skip if you don't feel like reading a wannabe aviator comment xD

I'm betting on the EPCM Pod thing at her centerline Pylon would be of good use sometime....

umm yeah Phantom.. aren't you supposed to take off with flaps extended? You're no F-15 or Gripen... LOL~

..also noticed Phantom's engine did sounded like a J79 Turbojet.. at least for me =D I wished they'd record sounds from real jets as much as possible..

..smile of someone seeming to hide something

I kinda prefer her "Black" Hair

Phantom looks like Rin from ARC-V, while Gripin is Yuzu. Could this be the Air Force anime for me after all.
Feb 9, 2019 10:28 AM

Nov 2017
airfoilfan87 said:
Starhammer said:
airfoilfan87,you have models of these?
Where the hell did you get them from?

Yep, I got them thru a local online shop around 2017-2018.. Special Order..

The kits were released in 2016. They were quite overpriced already when I got them.. Now they're all hard to find, even at high prices..

My regret was not being able to get the F-2-ANM.. ^^;

Seen them on a site,hold on,just get that link for you
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10367905
Pretty sweet models,shame they seem to be sold out,oh well :)
If I see the F-2-ANM somewhere I 'll send you a link,mind if I add you as a friend?
StarhammerFeb 9, 2019 10:31 AM
Feb 9, 2019 1:18 PM
Jul 2014
Interesting. Phantom fights incredibly dirty, but to paraphrase James Mattis, "The only unfair fight is the one you win; you want unfair fights."

Yet again, however, we can see the general plot arc quite far away. Phantom is set up as the "wolf in sheep's clothing" from the very start. She exhibits a clear disdain for anyone weaker than her that goes beyond mere arrogance, and this disdain clearly extends to humans as well (even though she technically is one).

Her voice actress, Shiori Izawa, is playing against type here given that her most famous role is actually Pina (the dragon summoner) from Sword Art Online, and this leads me to believe that a major plot point of Girly Air Force will be Phantom betraying the rest of the team at a crucial moment and allowing the Zai/Xai/Xi to inflict significant damage on Japan. After all, if her abilities as a human with a Zai core can be used to so thoroughly fool another anima when interlinked, then not only can they be used on the Zai but the Zai must be able to use said abilities as well.
Feb 9, 2019 3:31 PM

Jun 2017
Is the LN completed? Will this be a full adaption then?
Feb 9, 2019 4:02 PM

Feb 2016
airfoilfan87 said:

The author of the LN wanted to represent the main JASDF jets.. F-4, F-15 and F-2.. The JAS-39 is a random addition though. Perhaps it's because other jets not used by the SDF seem popular to the military fans.

I don't think the Gripen addition is random at all. As I explained in the discussion after episode 1, Gripen is very popular among millitary fans in Japan. A fact that many (mostly American?) anime fans really don't want to accept... maybe?
No, I don't mean you, airfoilfan87. You seem to know your stuff! :D
TeisatsuFeb 9, 2019 4:48 PM
Feb 9, 2019 4:10 PM

Feb 2016
Liddo-kun said:
Phantom seems to be the most mature of the three airplane girls. She behaves like an adult, and a tricky one too.

Well, "she" was born in the 1950's, so of course she is rather mature. :D

I actually like her character. The Xi aren't going to fight clean, so why would't Phantom use electronic warfare? Eagle and Gripen needs to chill down and realize that this is not a contest between the three animas. Instead they are supposed to learn from eachother, to fight the enemy!
TeisatsuFeb 9, 2019 4:48 PM
Feb 9, 2019 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
airfoilfan87, how faithful is this adaptation so far?
Feb 10, 2019 2:43 AM

Oct 2007
Teisatsu said:
Liddo-kun said:

Well, "she" was born in the 1950's, so of course she is rather mature. :D

I actually like her character. The Xi aren't going to fight clean, so why would't Phantom use electronic warfare? Eagle and Gripen needs to chill down and realize that this is not a contest between the three animas. Instead they are supposed to learn from eachother, to fight the enemy!

thanks for the trivia. So I guess Phantom is with the maturity of an adult, Eagle is a spoiled high school brat, and Gripen is a middle schooler? Just joking on that. Can't forget about Gripen trying to grip the bars ang failing to hold on. hehe xD

On a more serious note. Yeah, agreed. Someday the Zai would fight dirty. What Phantom did in this training exercise should be a learning experience for the "younger" airplane girls.
Liddo-kunFeb 10, 2019 2:47 AM
Feb 10, 2019 2:45 AM
Jul 2014
airfoilfan87 said:
Stark700 said:
airfoilfan87, how faithful is this adaptation so far?

Major events like the first meetup of Kei & Gripen, How Eagle arrived, the defense of Komatsu and Phantom's arrival at Komatsu Station..
They were all as how I understood the seemingly gibberish Google Translate outputs..

I haven't really read the novels per se.. but have read some broken chapters from the official chinese translation. It was put up in some online forum a year ago..
I also read reviews in some japanese book review sites. They allow spoilers, as long as the poster uses a spoiler tag or so..

There was also a japanese fan-made map using Google Maps as base. It had markers of significant points pertaining some events in the novels. The fan seemed to have stopped at Volume 8 though.. (Something I can't share here, as it would be a definite spoiler..)

Funny I also have the japanese novel Volumes 1 to 8. Ironically I couldn't read japanese. I already cancelled my order of the books, but our local online shop, for some reason..., still proceeded. I ended up having to buy them anyway. I guess it's good to see some novel pics not uploaded anywhere ..for now....

Speaking of spoilers, you have your profile pic as one of the USN Anima who debuts in volume 7 as the human counterattack begins against the Zai (F/A-18E-ANM Rhino is hosted on the USS Gerald R Ford), not to mention that roughly one modern 4th or 5th generation anima is introduced each novel, meaning that we're likely to see at least two more anima before the 12 episode run ends.

Feb 10, 2019 3:18 AM

May 2016
Just leave it to Katsumi Ono (Symphogear, G, GX, AXZ, XV, Yu-Gi-Oh 5D'S, ARC-V, VRains) to make this manga look more enjoyable.
Feb 10, 2019 10:32 PM
Jul 2014
Helios92 said:
Just leave it to Katsumi Ono (Symphogear, G, GX, AXZ, XV, Yu-Gi-Oh 5D'S, ARC-V, VRains) to make this manga look more enjoyable.

has the manga actually been published by any translators at the moment?
Feb 11, 2019 1:56 AM

May 2016
firemagnet said:
Helios92 said:

has the manga actually been published by any translators at the moment?

Not sure, cus i dunno :/
Feb 12, 2019 12:12 PM
May 2017
Does anyone know how the name of the music / song is at the beginning from the episode - the training mission ? I like it ^^
Jun 2, 2020 4:36 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The first half was a pure comedical parts which is my best scenery so far on this series. The interaction between Gripen and Kei get to more funny than before, its a nice development to see.

The second half, the tone get more serious as an arrival of our lady Phantom, the F-4 Anima's. Quite unique addition for her, to balancing the two sided coin of personality the twos Anima's beforehand, Eagle and Gripen. Yeah, and ofc Kei will do face more trouble in the future to make a great cooperation. So far so good, The girly air force its way over my expectation. Keep it up!

My best point here was, where the Anima's had a fight with the age of them, which is somehow a good informations for me. Yeah, a lady Phantom the older 'daughter', Eagle's as a teen in 20 years old with funny personality as a middle 'daughter', and my beloved cute face lolita Gripen as a younger 'Daughter'. Nice story building there, tbh. Now i really attached to this series. Lmao.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2019

35 by RGreatDanton »»
May 23, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2019

46 by RGreatDanton »»
May 23, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2019

100 by RGreatDanton »»
May 23, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

56 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jun 16, 2021 11:24 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2019

18 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jun 16, 2021 7:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.