Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2019 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like we got a bit of training between Gripen and Kei. For what's worth, I find the episode better than the previous one.

We also got see how their air base operates For Gripen, I do find some of her personality a bit too straightforward when flying. But anyways, she takes her responsibility quite seriously so that's important. Oh and that Eagle girl showed up too! (she was advertised before in the promo) I want to know more about that new girl lol
Stark700Jan 24, 2019 8:56 AM
Jan 24, 2019 9:09 AM

Apr 2016
Aww ... and here i kinda hoped that those soldiers will beat the crap out of the MC ... and accidentally kill him.

Hey but the new girl is here so its fine.
Jan 24, 2019 9:52 AM

Nov 2016
The impression that this reminds me at Plastic Memories has solidified.

It's a lesser version for me, tho, but still enjoyable.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 24, 2019 10:09 AM
Jul 2014
Only episode 3 and they've already revealed character 2 (Genki-girl/daddy's girl Eagle).

Feels like this is getting very predictable already; China has basically been wiped off of the map by the Zai/Xi, the U.S 7th fleet annihilated, and now the entirety of Japan's western seaboard is open to the Zai. Yet against all this, the three girls will somehow be able to take on a force that shredded through the 600+ combat aircraft of the PLAAF and the US 7th fleet plus their attendant ships and land forces (lol).

Some mild predictions for the future, given how generic the show is:
1. Zai will be revealed as extradimensional beings here because "humanity did something it shouldn't have in the name of science" (tm).
2. As humans with Zai control cores, Eagle or Phantom will likely go berserk at some point, assisting the Zai in a much larger incursion directly into Japan. This will then require Grippen and Kai to save them with the power of human affection (TM).

It's still watchable, but the plot is so obvious and generic that the fine details can be seen from high orbit with the naked eye. There's no attempt to really breathe life and importance into the story and world, that I can't give this more than a 5/10 at this point.
Jan 24, 2019 10:33 AM

Mar 2016
Gripen is so cute it's killing me.
Jan 24, 2019 11:07 AM
Jan 2017
Girly Air Force has shaped up to be one of my favorite shows for the current season. This week's episode brings up some trouble between Kei and Gripen after he finds out some details about Gripen's origin. It was sad to see Kei and Gripen's relationship get damaged over something Gripen had no real control over. Good news? Kei comes to terms with it, at least to an extent. Bad news? Gripen gets into real for her test flight. Just when all seems lost, Eagle flies in and saves the day. This episode's climax brings up a real trouble I have with modern storytelling: bringing down a pre-existing character a few pegs just for the sake of propping up or propelling a new character forward; in this case, Gripen gets weakened and neutralized just so that Eagle can have her moment of glory. Eagle needs to be validated as a capable pilot, I get it, but her moment of glory didn't have to come at Gripen's expense. Hopefully, Kei and Gripen will patch things up next week and Minghua will get something to do instead of just acting for worried for Kei all the time. Despite my complaints, I still enjoyed the episode and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Jan 24, 2019 12:30 PM

May 2018
Well as expected them Anima were made from captured Xi.

I kinda hate that Mingwa is gonna be left out of the harem game.
Jan 24, 2019 12:54 PM

Aug 2018
About the new blonde charather:

Karen Kujō, is that you when you really ARE an airplane? VROOM VROOM!
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jan 24, 2019 1:00 PM

Jan 2017
99% sure that Gripen killed Narutani mother and somehow she has something from his mother "inside". This is why they can synch so good without any trening. Evangelion level of "riding your mom" in one of the last episodes when MC will take over the "plane" to kill the final boss.

I will still watch it thought for Gripen cuteness.
Jan 24, 2019 1:46 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Seems despite her best efforts Gripen is still not quite ready yet. When angry Gripen kinda resembles a bear lol. Despite the fail Kei's ability to fly as shown in the sim was impressive. Quite creative using the bonds that are forged between the two of them to improve their skills as pilots. Still to think that Kei's mere presence had that much of a stabilising effect on Gripen's mental state though. Gripen's heartfelt words as well as her attempts to create that muffler sure were cute and showed just how much of an impact Kei had made on her. The test flight sure took a turn for the worst when the Xi appeared.
Still it proved to be a perfect stage for the new girl to show her skills. Interesting ep that did well to expand on both Kei and Gripen's characters while also introducing some interesting revelations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2019 2:54 PM
Mar 2017
Kei turns out to have good flying skills and that made Gripen angry.
Angry Gripen looks so cute.
Apparently Kei turned out to be a positive support in the performance of Gripen, but thanks to the classic "useless idiot soldier", Kei discovers that Gripen was built with parts of Zai and this makes Kei move away.
The part in which Kei read Gripen's letter moved me, poor little girl, she just wanted to continue being Kei's friend, but she was afraid that if she told him her secret Kei would hate her, but it's good that Kei went to see Gripen in her test.
In the end Gripen manages to do her test without problems until a Zai appears and Gripen can no longer keep conscious, but a new girl arrives to the rescue, Eagle the big-breasted blonde girl makes her appearance and save Gripen.
In the next episode we will know Eagle better and we will see what they will do to help Gripen.
Jan 24, 2019 5:24 PM

Nov 2017
This show would have been better if there were other teenage male characters other than the MC and have one of the other girls ( not the main heroine ) like that guy. ( Like in Darling in the Franxx )

Such a setting would have been better than your typical LN harem trash where all the major female characters likes only the one guy.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Jan 24, 2019 5:43 PM

Oct 2015
New character seems like a showoff, and I hope she isn't annoying as she seems too.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 24, 2019 6:07 PM

Apr 2011
I was thinking that the girls are experimented human beings but turns out they're made from Xi parts. Still she was made to fight them.

While the soldiers can hate on the 'daughters' they should realize they're the only ones who can fight Xi and normal pilots and jets would be just easy pickings.

And finally, my favorite girl, Eagle-chan arrives. And she's quite a show-off. It'll make things livelier with her on board.
Jan 24, 2019 6:08 PM
Sep 2015
Only irked about the continuity. He got that present and it rained for 3 days after but the letter asked him to see her fly "tomorrow".
Jan 24, 2019 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
This episode and the previous one were way better than the first, the show is being quite enjoyable for me. Gripen is really cute, hope she can improve in the next episodes. One thing that I liked was Gripen not being miraculously saved by the MC.

For me this show is still a not-so-good SukaSuka
Jan 24, 2019 7:10 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
I'm glad I gave this anime a chance. I'm now enjoying it cause Gripen is so cute. Who would have thought that the time where I think a fighter jet is so cute will come.
Jan 24, 2019 11:20 PM

Mar 2017
Gripen's pouting face is so damn cute.
So Animas are made of shot down Xi parts. Well I saw it coming.
Xi appeared during Gripen's test flight and she fell asleep. Eagle made appearance and saved her huh.
Jan 24, 2019 11:37 PM

May 2015
Hype flying music!

Well Kei can fly, but he's no fighter.

Real men smoke in a non-smoking room!

So Gripen was made from scraps of Xi...Well that's going to mentally hurt her a bit...

Lol Haruka knew about the letter too? And he wants to know why Gripen failed while the other anima did not.

"Fox 2, Go!" Yes! I was waiting to hear that! Hype music on!

Saved by the Eagle! I like her already! And she called Haruka daddy? That means he made her too, right? Can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 24, 2019 11:49 PM

Jan 2011
Radamus said:
Only irked about the continuity. He got that present and it rained for 3 days after but the letter asked him to see her fly "tomorrow".
was confused about that part as well maybe the test got postponed

3 episodes in and they already revealed some truth about gripen/xi figured they'd drag that out
Jan 25, 2019 12:10 AM

Dec 2016
Not too surprised by the revelation of Anima being made up from Xi.

This may answer the question the doctor asked of if they have met before, that flashback might have just given us the answer, quite a cruel fate/turn of events.

I had a feeling she confessed the truth in the letter the moment he rushed off like that.

Well that was almost a disaster, thank goodness Eagle showed up when she did.
Jan 25, 2019 7:08 AM

May 2018
So, to no big surprise, Anima are made out of Xi parts.
Gripen making that muffler was pretty touching.

Here comes Eagle!
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 25, 2019 7:09 AM

Jun 2017
FMmatron said:
The impression that this reminds me at Plastic Memories has solidified.

It's a lesser version for me, tho, but still enjoyable.

Please don't let it be like that.

“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 25, 2019 7:10 AM

Jun 2017
This episode was quite nice, Kei can actually fly a jet due to his experience using her mom's plane. Anyway, I now see where that ahega face meme came from.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 25, 2019 1:01 PM

May 2016
Looks like we got a bit of training between Gripen and Kei.OMG Gripin is an Xi all along O.O

It's nice to see Eagle's debut tho. That flashback tho.
Jan 25, 2019 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
i like this episode. and Griped is cute
Jan 25, 2019 8:30 PM

Sep 2010
Hm... I think I prefer Girly Air Force, but Kouya no Kotobuki does the dogfighting better.
Jan 26, 2019 12:16 AM

Oct 2008
oh how thoughtful of Gripen to make a handmade muffler..that's cute!
Hanesaki Ayano ... i meant Kashimura Sana... i mean Eagle likes to show-off! lolz!
That was a good yellow-golden F-35 Lightning! AWESOME!!!
5/5.

EDIT: info check...oh! sorry it was an F-15J
matias067Jan 26, 2019 12:22 AM

Jan 26, 2019 3:49 AM

Oct 2007
Some unexpected drama. Kei being a man, and defending Grippen from the soldiers.

Muffler in June. Well, a muffler from an airplane girl is good anytime of the year.

I'm pleased. Will stick around to the final episode.
Jan 26, 2019 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
PLOT TWIST~ I actually didn't see that coming because I was too busy giving Gripen head-pats in my mind..

Interesting that none of the Anima are Japanese developed aircraft.. nor are all of them in use in the JASDF.

On another interesting note, it seems like they mixed in a few pieces of the Hornet onto Eagle-chan.. F-15s normally have upright vertical stabilizers in the back, not canted, which is a distinguishing mark of the F-18 instead. But I'm not an expert on it and there could be something out there that I am just unaware of that explains this.

Good episode though.
Jan 26, 2019 8:59 PM

Jun 2013
airfoilfan87 said:
CrimsonTsuki said:
PLOT TWIST~ I actually didn't see that coming because I was too busy giving Gripen head-pats in my mind..

Interesting that none of the Anima are Japanese developed aircraft.. nor are all of them in use in the JASDF.

On another interesting note, it seems like they mixed in a few pieces of the Hornet onto Eagle-chan.. F-15s normally have upright vertical stabilizers in the back, not canted, which is a distinguishing mark of the F-18 instead. But I'm not an expert on it and there could be something out there that I am just unaware of that explains this.

Good episode though.

Essentially none.. the most japanese anima would be the F-2 (not a spoiler btw since she can be seen in the OP video)

The F-2 is basically a renamed & customized F-16, adapted for Maritime Strike roles for the JASDF..

As for Eagle's Daughter Airframe.. it seems to be inspired from the F-15SE Silent Eagle program. It also had canted Vertical Stabilizers and Conformal Fuel Tanks or Fast Packs that could also house additional missiles.. :)

Very interesting.. thanks for the education! It did seem like an odd thing to mix parts like that, so I’m glad that there is something behind it instead.

Your sig wouldn’t happen to be a spoiler though would it? :P
Jan 27, 2019 8:33 AM
Jan 2019
I don't like gripen, don't ask me why. She's to smooth.
Jan 31, 2019 12:32 PM
Sep 2015
I'm really enjoying the anime for what it is. Although there is a lot of "Darling in the Franxx" with the symbiotic relationship element, I don't mind it unless it turns out the aircraft all turn into a interstellar mecha to attack the XI homeworld.

Working in Naval Aviation in my youth really turned me into an aircraft buff so this anime, although insane, is enjoyable to watch just for the aircraft alone. Those physics tho...
Nov 13, 2019 6:21 AM

Aug 2018
This is feeling a lot Ars Nova. Since I liked Ars Nova, I’m a happy camper. It’s not at all like I expected. I expected something like Kotobuki but with a haram.
Jun 2, 2020 9:44 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The test drive begin with such a big failure. Fortunately, new girl appear to save Gripen's neck on time. She was that director daughter? Oh-kay, then!

Kei can drive the aircraft, its still shocked. But, when his past reveal before, its understandable. Its make the relations with Gripen grown up fast until their brain signal synchronise and can wake up in more long time. Great for them with how the deadline test reach its end. But, suddenly, some shit happen, Gripen story reveal, and the world of Anima opened up a bit. Yeah, they are just from that Xi's thing. Thats why she can do that acrobatic turn like happen in the first episode. Nice story, then. The Xi's black box aircrafts, attach and arrange into the girl like Gripen. The process still unknown too. An okay story telling for this show. A wellplayed explanations.

So, Japan really want to grown up fast with what they found. Steal the technology they blast, and recycling it in like that thing was your own. Anima being, and its daughter jet fighter. Interesting story building til its max. Okay back to the episode. Gripen and Kei met the confrontration shit like before. Theres a rude bossy dude, and to said that shit to Gripen, really make me angry, ffs. The millitary dude never failed to make me rage and gazed, even in real life. Then, thats it, a new character comes in and, yeah, back to pharagraph one. Kinda dislike the pacing and transition. But, yeah, i like the interaction scenes when they do a trial in the start, and the hald scenes where the drama teens got its intense feeling. Yet, poor Minghua. Like any other decent anime, a childhood friend never take its place to get a better resolution to the relationship.

So, whats next scenes with that yellow haired girl? Something perverted may happen, because that Kei really like to do some ero shit to every cute girl he met on their world. Great!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2019

99 by Destroyer31 »»
Sep 27, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

56 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jun 16, 2021 11:24 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2019

18 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jun 16, 2021 7:20 AM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2019

45 by ResaloliPT »»
Feb 14, 2021 5:49 PM

Poll: » Girly Air Force Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2019

31 by badabass »»
Jun 2, 2020 11:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.