Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 2013 3:40 PM

Nov 2012
I find myself constantly switching between rating things, and then getting rid of my ratings. Something about rating anime just doesn't sit well with me. At times, I just feel that I want to enjoy watching anime without constantly pitting them against each other and always comparing.

I wasn't able to truly tell what made a show a 7 rather than an 8, and I still can't. You might wake up certain days and have completely new perspectives on anime that you've seen in the past. It all just gets too messy and tedious to someone like me who is a bit OCD. I think I'd just be able to enjoy anime alot more without having to worry about my ratings.

What are some reasons to (not) rate anime for you? I'd prefer if others who don't rate their anime offer their reasons for doing so as well.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 20, 2013 3:45 PM

Apr 2013
Rating an anime by the plot is like judging it by the cover . Rating an anime by episodes it's like judging a book after each page you've read but rating it after watching all episodes is equal to judging the whole story the book told you . Those who read , even once a month , will understand exactly what I mean.
But I feel like I've seen this subject in a topic....
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jun 20, 2013 3:48 PM

Aug 2012
When rating, I actually take some points in consideration:

Plot - 5 points

Art - 1 point

Animation - 1 point (There is a difference, as example, Kaiji (Good art, bad animation) and One Piece (recent ones) (bad art, good animation)

Pace - 1 point

Enjoyable or not - 2 ~ 4 points (can fill the holes)

So as example, the art and animation sucked, but it was extremely enjoyable, so I give it a 10.
Jun 20, 2013 3:49 PM

Nov 2012
lupadim said:
When rating, I actually take some points in consideration:

Plot - 5 points

Art - 1 point

Animation - 1 point (There is a difference, as example, Kaiji (Good art, bad animation) and One Piece (recent ones) (bad art, good animation)

Pace - 1 point

Enjoyable or not - 2 ~ 4 points (can fill the holes)

So as example, the art and animation sucked, but it was extremely enjoyable, so I give it a 10.

Thanks but I wasn't asking how you rate things.
Jun 20, 2013 3:52 PM

Sep 2012
For me, coming to a rating between 1 and 10 helps me keep track of what I like to watch. I generally know what I like, but having specific anime as a reference sometimes helps just because I can go a lot more in depth in my thoughts about a specific anime than the vaguely defined list of things I tend to like in entertainment.

Also, and I know this is silly, but it's sometimes just fun. I give 10s mostly as a way of showing appreciation; I know the creators of anime will never see my list, but I just like doing it for shows I really love. The opposite goes for 1s.
Jun 20, 2013 3:54 PM

Aug 2012
Popka said:
For me, coming to a rating between 1 and 10 helps me keep track of what I like to watch. I generally know what I like, but having specific anime as a reference sometimes helps just because I can go a lot more in depth in my thoughts about a specific anime than the vaguely defined list of things I tend to like in entertainment.

Also, and I know this is silly, but it's sometimes just fun. I give 10s mostly as a way of showing appreciation; I know the creators of anime will never see my list, but I just like doing it for shows I really love. The opposite goes for 1s.

This!

And those guys get to see your list and say "Oh, you give 10s to everything, noob"

Oh, fuck you. I hate how I want all the shit. I gave 10 to One Piece but it deserved a 9 as example. So what.
Jun 20, 2013 3:54 PM

Dec 2009
I don't rate what I watch because I either enjoy something or I don't. There of course is the 'eh' middle ground but I just never have felt the need to rate anime.
Jun 20, 2013 3:57 PM

Jan 2011
the only anime that i dont rate are those those that are soooo bad an yet so enjoyable that i cant decide what rating i should gave them like MoD an Inferno Cop

Aug 2012
Vesanus said:
I don't rate what I watch because I either enjoy something or I don't. There of course is the 'eh' middle ground but I just never have felt the need to rate anime.

You are watching 27 anime at the same time, you probably don't rate them because you understand nothing...

Sorry, but I have no idea how people can watch so many anime at the same time.

Nov 2012
Popka said:

Yeah I totally get that. The main reason I keep going back to using ratings is because I'm bored one day and it's fun to put together... but two or three days later I just look at it and am never fully satisfied. I think it's something wrong with me because so many other people can do it without it bothering them as much.
Jun 20, 2013 3:58 PM

Aug 2012
GaeaRage94 said:
Popka said:

Yeah I totally get that. The main reason I keep going back to using ratings is because I'm bored one day and it's fun to put together... but two or three days later I just look at it and am never fully satisfied. I think it's something wrong with me because so many other people can do it without it bothering them as much.

The secret is: Don't look at your ratings. Everytime you look at them, you will change them.
Jun 20, 2013 4:01 PM

Nov 2012
lupadim said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Popka said:

The secret is: Don't look at your ratings. Everytime you look at them, you will change them.

Very true. I've said that to myself many times but always caved in.
Jun 20, 2013 4:04 PM

Dec 2009
lupadim said:
Vesanus said:

You are watching 27 anime at the same time, you probably don't rate them because you understand nothing...

Sorry, but I have no idea how people can watch so many anime at the same time.

...What? I understand nothing? If you actually looked at my list instead of focusing on the amount I watch maybe you would have noticed that I haven't even started half of those. Are you also not aware that many people watch several airing animes at the same time because only one episode airs per week?

Just because you don't understand how people watch several animes at once does not mean that the ones who do understand nothing. Maybe you should just keep your virtual mouth shut.
TachiiJun 20, 2013 4:09 PM
Jun 20, 2013 4:08 PM

Dec 2012
Lol lupadim stop insulting and derailing.

OnT: Yea I always think I should stop having ratings for my anime, my memory is not bad so I should be able to remember if I liked this anime or disliked for what ever reasons. I think if I stopped having rating it will make me focus more on what I am watching/reading instead of worrying what score I am gonna give after I finish. Sometimes I wish I was never introduced to MAL, having a list to keep track is helpful other stuff not so much.
tsudecimoJun 20, 2013 4:11 PM
Jun 20, 2013 4:09 PM

Jun 2012
Lupadim, j-ju... just stop. Stop it.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Jun 2008
Oh boy. Calm down people. I have removed a bunch of posts in case this went anywhere more insulting than before.

@ Lupadim, please don't look down at people who watches many anime at once and say they understand nothing. It should be obvious why that's considered an insult.
Jun 20, 2013 4:10 PM

Mar 2012
Sometimes I keep anime unrated because there is one or two variable that I don't understand. If I'm in the mood I always search for the answear to determine the score.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 20, 2013 4:13 PM

Nov 2012
GaeaRage94 said:
I find myself constantly switching between rating things, and then getting rid of my ratings. At times, I just feel that I want to enjoy watching anime without constantly pitting them against each other and always comparing.

I wasn't able to truly tell what made a show a 7 rather than an 8, and I still can't. You might wake up certain days and have completely new perspectives on anime that you've seen in the past. It all just gets too messy and tedious to someone like me who is a bit OCD. I think I'd just be able to enjoy anime alot more without having to worry about my ratings.

What are some reasons to (not) rate anime for you? I'd prefer if others who don't rate their anime offer their reasons for doing so as well.
I completely agree with it is very annoying. But on the other hand i want people to know which anime i liked, so that's kind of a dilemma two. But i understand your reasons.

Also
tsudecimo said:

Hey tsudecimo!
Jun 20, 2013 4:24 PM

Dec 2012
There is no reason you shouldn't rate an anime. I you spend 6 hours to watching or 300 hours (Lookin' at you, One Piece!), why can't you spend 5, or in my case, 30 minutes rating it?
CNileJun 20, 2013 4:38 PM
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jun 20, 2013 4:41 PM

Jan 2012
does anyone rate for op/ed and soundtrack too?
fuwa fuwari fuwa fuwaru
Jun 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2012
renders said:
does anyone rate for op/ed and soundtrack too?
fuwa fuwari fuwa fuwaru
Soundtrack, fuck yes. OP/ED, well, they can compliment a series, but they usually don't affect the rating. Well, I guess Bebop wouldn't be the same without its famous OP, so maybe they can effect the score.

- George W. Bush
Jun 20, 2013 4:46 PM

Nov 2012
too lazy...
Jun 20, 2013 4:46 PM

Oct 2010
Some people do come with that problem. I'd say MAL covers very well this issue in comparison with other stuff rating sites, because it allows to both list what you've watched and express your thoughts by using the tags. Therefore the ratings, as useful as they are, in the end are not necessary for most of the site's functionalities. Except for affinity measures.

Anyway. I think you are giving it too much thought. Comparing ratings is right when you have a sound basis to compare them. That is, when you can really trust your experience with a show well enough to compare it with another one. And if it's the case, you should be perfectly able to readjust your ratings in a way that fit your likings. I don't do that as I prefer to follow another strategy. I don't change my ratings through comparison with the rest of my list; only through rewatch.

Take into account that you have 10 possible ratings for hundreds or thousands of shows. Things like these are going to happen very often.
Jun 20, 2013 4:48 PM

Dec 2012
Only two reasons not to rate something...

#1: Jack
#2: Shit

And shit just left town so that leaves you with Jack.

- George W. Bush
Jun 20, 2013 4:51 PM

Oct 2012
If I find myself not rating said anime, it's because I do not know what to think of it (i.e. "WHAT THE FUCK DID I WATCH? 2DEEP4ME!!!!").
Eventually, after re-watching some bits along with reading some things online, I'll reach a satisfying conclusion to give a rating.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 20, 2013 5:42 PM

Apr 2012
3 reasons not to rate an anime:

#1: You haven't finished it
#2: You absolutely hate it and therefore don't finish it.
#3: It's not on your list and you're too lazy ...
Jun 20, 2013 6:47 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
GaeaRage94 said:
What are some reasons to (not) rate anime for you?

Laziness. The only reason I can think of.
Jun 20, 2013 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
1) Dropped anime
2) Anime I haven't completed
Jun 20, 2013 6:56 PM

Jan 2008
Not completing or dropping the anime because things may improve or deteriorate.

Also I sometimes don't rate shorts that don't really have much to rate. The Kyo Ani commercials for example.
Jun 20, 2013 7:20 PM

Sep 2011
I always rate every show that I've watched as possible. But if that happens that I didn't rate them, it's because my feelings for that show is really conflicted.

Jun 20, 2013 7:24 PM

Dec 2012
Other than, "Because you haven't seen a single episode of it and therefore can't judge it", there is no reason not to rate it. A rating is a just an expression of how satisfied you were with the show's level of ability to entertain. I think everyone is capable of doing at least that and knows what they like and dislike, it seems like common sense to me. It can be as simple as asking yourself "How entertained was I watching this?" and rating those awesomeness points on a 1-10 scale. Of course there are others who feel the "rating" has to include more complex factors though. There is no right or wrong way to do it as long as you put a little bit of thought into it rather than just spam-blasting out the ratings for what you watched. Hell you can even rate it after 1-5 episodes and then change it later at any point, it's not like it's permanent.
KruszerJun 20, 2013 7:32 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 20, 2013 7:31 PM
Mar 2013
Don't rate stuff if you "aren't sure" or haven't really made up your mind. The internet has given people the false sense that every passing thought they have matters.
Jun 20, 2013 7:45 PM

Oct 2012
I don't rate anime on principle. Anime is art, and assigning a number feels too quantitative. Too objective for an inherently subjective subject matter. Until the day that MAL will allow me to hyperlink all of my scores to my written review of a show, I won't use numbers.

I like what Roger Ebert came up with in the way of the thumbs up or thumbs down system. Basically he was either telling people "see this movie" or "don't see this movie." Very clever.
NickyCharismaJun 20, 2013 7:52 PM
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jun 20, 2013 7:47 PM
Mar 2011
i judge is mainly from business prospective
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 20, 2013 8:00 PM

Aug 2010
Usually I just don't know what grade to give it.
Jun 20, 2013 8:25 PM

Nov 2012
There... I caved in and added ratings yet again. I'm not going to look at my list and hopefully I'll be able to keep it this way.
Jun 20, 2013 8:31 PM

Nov 2010
GaeaRage94 said:
There... I caved in and added ratings yet again. I'm not going to look at my list and hopefully I'll be able to keep it this way.
Why don't you spend more time thinking about them and going over everything so you're sure you have the right one? You can even go by decimal points and round it down or up to get the number. Or you can just keep them rated but delete the score column from your list so you never see them.
Jun 20, 2013 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
GaeaRage94 said:
Why don't you spend more time thinking about them and going over everything so you're sure you have the right one? You can even go by decimal points and round it down or up to get the number. Or you can just keep them rated but delete the score column from your list so you never see them.

I'm not going to use decimals, I'm actually pretty fine with the way it is right now tbh. Hiding the scores won't really change anything either since my memory is pretty damn good. I can remember what I've given to every anime I rated (I imagine this would be pretty hard for you since you have 1000+ anime lol)
Jun 20, 2013 8:38 PM

Nov 2010
GaeaRage94 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
GaeaRage94 said:

I'm not going to use decimals, I'm actually pretty fine with the way it is right now tbh. Hiding the scores won't really change anything either since my memory is pretty damn good. I can remember what I've given to every anime I rated (I imagine this would be pretty hard for you since you have 1000+ anime lol)
Yeah I don't remember what I've rated anything besides my favorites. Well it sounds like the only solution for you is to watch more anime, start with movies and specials first and you can get to 1,000 in less than a year easy.
Jun 20, 2013 8:42 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
GaeaRage94 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
GaeaRage94 said:

Yeah I don't remember what I've rated anything besides my favorites. Well it sounds like the only solution for you is to watch more anime, start with movies and specials first and you can get to 1,000 in less than a year easy.

LOL it will take atleast 3 years. Besides, I don't add most specials and OVA's to my list anyway, only the ones that are very standalone and self-contained.
Jun 20, 2013 9:20 PM

Jun 2007
This is why I just rate based on each show. I don't use my ratings as a comparison to anything else nor to each other - I use them as a reminder to myself how I felt about each show. That's exactly why I never have rated anything on my blog.
TallonKarrde23Jun 20, 2013 9:24 PM
Jun 20, 2013 9:23 PM

Sep 2011
Rating just comes naturally for me ever since I made a MAL. Back in the day I never even thought about.

Once I complete an episode, I know what rating to give it. Sometimes I debate between certain scores, but that's what makes it fun. :)
Jun 20, 2013 9:25 PM

May 2013
Hmm always rate anime i watch, the only anime i don't rate are shows that i drop immediately or don't feel like watching past the 1st episode. Usually my rating for a show might deviate by one point like a 7-8 but stays pretty consistent.
Jun 20, 2013 9:35 PM

Feb 2013
I usually rate them just because I can, but my ratings aren't set in stone and they shouldn't be taken seriously, if I had the time, I'd write a review for everything I watch, but not give it a score because giving an objective score to something of which people have subjective feelings towards is not fair in my eyes.
Jun 20, 2013 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
For some reason I've rated my anime before I even joined MAL. Ratings especially help if you're asking for a recommendation on the site.

Rating an anime isn't very hard for me though. Unless I'm watching an airing anime, I usually don't rate an anime till the end of the series. And in a few years when I want to rewatch a couple anime, the ratings will help me remember how much I enjoyed a certain anime compared to others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2013 10:21 PM

Sep 2012
I don't take my own ratings too serious, is just a simbolic number.
I also don't rate hentai and droppeds.
NeoVeneziaJun 20, 2013 10:28 PM
Jun 20, 2013 11:44 PM
Jun 2013
I've always wished there was decimals in the rating system just because sometimes I am torn between giving a show a great grade (an 8) and a good grade (a 7).

There's also another scenario where I don't know how I feel about the show but I still feel obligated to give it a rating. I remember a couple years back watching Eden of the East and just not knowing how I felt, so I relied on the movies to help me figure out my general thoughts. I watched the first movie and it still didn't help me really. I never got around to the second movie just for that reason. I didn't want to feel closure on the anime because if it wasn't giving it to me already, why would any more do that? I still ended up giving them a generic 7 but I knew deep down I wanted to keep them blank.
Jun 20, 2013 11:57 PM
Jun 2013
Forgetfulness said:
theywillbeblue said:
I've always wished there was decimals in the rating system just because sometimes I am torn between giving a show a great grade (an 8) and a good grade (a 7).

There's also another scenario where I don't know how I feel about the show but I still feel obligated to give it a rating. I remember a couple years back watching Eden of the East and just not knowing how I felt, so I relied on the movies to help me figure out my general thoughts. I watched the first movie and it still didn't help me really. I never got around to the second movie just for that reason. I didn't want to feel closure on the anime because if it wasn't giving it to me already, why would any more do that? I still ended up giving them a generic 7 but I knew deep down I wanted to keep them blank.

Since you don't seem to be using them for anything else, you could just type in your "real score" in the tags

That is true, very helpful tip. I remember the good days when you could click tags and the animes/mangas with the same tags would all show up at once :/
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Spring 2024 Mid-Season Ranking

NoelleIsSleepy - 1 hour ago

9 by Prupel1 »»
5 minutes ago

» Ever thought an anime was a MASTERPIECE, then changed your mind? Or vice versa?

Rhae - 2 hours ago

3 by rey_n »»
7 minutes ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

27 by ColourWheel »»
54 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

42 by AE-2 »»
59 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 2 hours ago

3 by shyam_patel »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.