Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
Seems like the Illuminati is up to no good and had a plan to kidnap someone for their plans.

Izumo's reaction is natural to what she's confronted with...but also, this is the first time I've seen her react in such a way. Likewise, I'm not surprised to see her rise to the challenge and not backing down against Nemu. Not going to lie, Nemu always gave me the creeps but his abilities really took on another level.

Pretty interesting stuff overall and we get to see his eyes open! The Shima revelation also shocked everyone, especially Bon. Damn.
Stark700Jan 27, 10:30 AM
Jan 27, 7:58 AM

Dec 2021
Damn, finding out the Illuminati is in the school was pretty shocking.

Izumo questions Takara about his affiliation with the Illuminati. Meanwhile, Arthur and Lewin persist in their interrogation of the spy, who discloses that they are confined in their current room to prevent interference. Lewin acknowledges that thwarting them was the spy's initial goal just before a team of Exorcists forcibly opens the locked door. Following this, Lewin queries the spy about their actual objective, and they confess that it is to abduct Izumo. Shura is briefed on the situation and mobilizes everyone to search for Izumo, while Takara guides her to a secure location for a conversation.

Switching from that intense episode A-1 cooked up for Solo Leveling to this one made me realize it's probably because of Solo Leveling and Mashle that they didn't pick this up for the third season. I doubt much would have changed, just some decent animation here and there, given that A-1 doesn't seem too fond of this show either.

Now, that was a plot twist. I'm not sure how this whole Shima thing is going to unfold, though. I got suspicious when he summoned that demon. Kept wondering why he didn't use it in so many other situations. Still, I like the direction the Illuminati plot is taking in the context of the series. It's just a bit disheartening that it's another war arc in a shounen aimed show. But my main concern is with Shima and Rin. If he can stay faithful and do everything to bring him back, then it'll deliver.

Looks like we've got a rescue arc on our hands.

Jan 27, 7:58 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverJan 27, 9:24 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 27, 9:49 AM

Feb 2021
Btw my comment last week was a bit misleading. Right now we are still in the Academy Seven Wonders arc. It goes from chapter 38 to 49. The first 2 episodes adapted 38-44 while cutting and rearranging a lot of stuff. Episode 3 adapted 45-47 with better pacing (there is still some skipped stuff). We still didn't get to the actual Shimane Illuminati arc yet. So it's not like they jammed 12 chapters into 2 episodes like how my comment last week made it seem. (Btw I really recommend reading chapter 44, there Mephisto breaks the 4th wall and talks to the reader, I think it's cool.)
And as I mentioned last week, I'm anime only, I just read the manga along with the anime. (as in I watch the episode, then read the chapters adapted. So this whole season will still be new to me.)

The OP just gets better and better the more I listen to it. HONTOU NO BOKU WO! Sad that the full version comes out only in March, I want it now :(
Wtf no one told me Shima can be so badass
Unfortunately I was spoiled about Shima being an Illuminati spy, but the reveal was still unexpected. So the OVA from season 2 with Mephisto and Shima was foreshadowing this...
...holup, you're telling me he was a spy this entire time? What the hell, I thought he became one recently.
Google says "Seraphim are celestial beings that appear in Jewish, Christian, and Islamic literature. They are described as having two or three pairs of wings and serving as guardians of God's throne."
Renzo is Shima's first name, that shout was really personal.
This is literally a world-level threat wtf
Things just got a million times more epic. Reminds me of AOT, we were fighting with demons up until now, but now it's time to fight people. One of the best episodes in the whole series 100%
Jan 27, 10:45 AM

Jun 2014
They misled us into thinking Nemu was the Illuminati spy when the whole time, it was actually Shima. What a twist.

Lucifer shows up and declares war on the True Cross, man, things are getting really spicy now.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 27, 10:47 AM

Jul 2017
The most interesting episode of Blue Exorcist in a while and shit is finally kicking off with introductions towards the Illuminati organization that has come to declare war with True Cross and Mephisto's group and some pretty big plot twists in this episode, particularly with Renzo Shima's character and position as a whole, and given how long he has been friends with guys like Bon and Konekomaru, they seem to not take it that lightly. Izumo being kidnapped too, and we are on a Bleach-style battle shounen rescue arc to get her back (and figure out what on earth to do with the others in the Illuminati organization and Shima too). One of the few episodes in this series that has felt somewhat exciting despite its pacing flaws, and not just going through the motions.
Jan 27, 11:00 AM
Oct 2016
Talk about things hitting the fan!!! A huge episode, wow did that just flip this show on its head! Shima is the spy?!?! I never would've seen this coming. He's always been the class clown member of the group but now Shima is abandoning them all. When he first arrived to save Izumo I wasn't worried at all. Takara and his weird puppet were being very mysterious about their intentions and had Izumo cornered for some reason but Shima burst onto the scene to help. Kinda wild he of all people found them, like he knew where she would be and acted scared when her disappearance was revealed to trick everyone. Summoning that giant hell fire beast to help stop the enlarged toy robot Takara summoned. Shima stabbing Izumo in the back literally with his staff knocking her out. The Illuminati making their green entrance along with their lease Lucifer, the elder brother of Mephisto and supreme ruler of the demon world since Satan is gone. Trying to spread his message to as many as possible. Taking away Izumo right in front of everyone, so sad seeing their reactions to Shima leaving. Rin most of all feeling the shock, they've gotta rescue Izumo from the Illuminati.
Jan 27, 11:20 AM

Dec 2015
Dang that was one heck of a betrayal. Taking backstabbing to a whole other level with that one. Bit curious what would happen if Nemu actually wakes up though. The world may never know.

Getting to see Shima's familiar in action was cool. The fact that he kept it a secret all this time makes me think of all the times he could've actually been more helpful.
Jan 27, 11:22 AM
Oct 2023
Rin: So the power of friendship-
Shima:

I waited years for this moment not gonna lie, Shima was super badass in the manga, check it out everybody if you can!
Jan 27, 11:30 AM
Mar 2021
YES!!! I got everything I wanted out of this episode.
Jan 27, 11:38 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I spoiled myself on this long time ago, wild that this already happened!
Jan 27, 11:49 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wow been a while since I’ve read the manga and totally forgot Shima was the Illuminati Spy.

So how come Nemu let Shima take Izumo?
Jan 27, 12:36 PM

Jan 2013
shi ren is such a slimy traitor.
Jan 27, 1:02 PM
Dec 2023
By all the saints, what a thrilling episode! Despite my confidence in Studio Voln, I still had some reservations about the adaptation of these chapters. The pacing has greatly improved and the studio has a much better grasp of the original work. This is strongly felt in this episode, which is quite simply the best in the series, by far. Voln has managed to crush my fears and exceed my expectations. Notwithstanding the consistently excellent music, the animation and da were top-notch. The excitement was there, even though I already knew the story. Shima and Nemu finally get the glory they deserve. Their fights, and the revelation of the traitor, were simply masterful. Nevertheless, nothing came close to matching the entry of Lucifer and Illuminati.

We've finally entered what can be considered the best arc of the manga. Far from a simple rescue arc, we finally get to know the intricacies of Kato-Sensei's world.
Prepare to be amazed and dazzled
Jan 27, 4:06 PM
Sep 2020
Hell yeahhh, now things are getting interesting....

Nice introduction for illuminati and a fcking war?? lezzgo. I'ma say I actually believed that mephisto were the spy, and I definitely wasn't expecting pink hair dude to be that strong

And tbh, for the first impression, illuminati didn't look like "the bad guys". To unify again demons world with humans world maybe isn't a bad thing for Rin actually. OF COURSE, they've just been introduced into the story, and they're pretty likely very bad for humanity in general.... but you know... let's see

That opinion of mine is for sure very biased by how poorly vara cruz had treated Rin and Yukio, tho. I'm actually kinda hating them by now, and I honestly don't know how Rin isn't...... lol

Another thing, Rin is wayyy too ingenuous, damn
Jan 27, 4:09 PM
Aug 2020
it was a great episode

things are getting serious now
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 27, 5:29 PM

Dec 2018
Getting interesting. Not sure the Illuminati's plan is all that bad sounding, but of course who can trust it? All villains think they can create utopia.
Jan 27, 7:42 PM
Jan 2020
Man if this is what a 3-cour show looks like 4 episodes in, we're fucked

Maybe A1 would be still doing this if it weren't for Mashle
RonninnJan 27, 7:45 PM
Jan 27, 9:21 PM
Mar 2019
Table is set. Things should move much faster from here.
Jan 28, 1:39 AM

Mar 2007
Okay it's going to take a bit of getting used to the fatter faces, but the VAs are killing it and things just kicked into high gear.

Holy plot twist betrayal, batman, I did not realized HE was the traitor!

Damn, why is Mephisto sending the team of 1st year trainees to get her back? Is it because they're expendable??
Jan 28, 2:22 AM

Jul 2015
Author really wanted us to like and synpstise with Shima, so I kinda doubt he is in fact a traitor. Most likely a double agent playing 4D chess.

Jan 28, 3:31 AM
Dec 2023
Hahah Wow Not expected 😍
Jan 28, 6:37 AM

Sep 2021
The arc has finally started!
Jan 28, 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
Shima was more manly in this episode then ever, and now we lose him.
Jan 28, 7:55 AM
Nov 2021
Watching this after a long time makes me think that rin is weak.
Jan 28, 9:56 AM
Dec 2013
Holy shit! Shima was a traitor all along! What a twist! Glad some random idiot online didn't spoil it for me.

Also, this seems to be a retrieval arc now, with Rin and co trying to get back Izumobitch and apparently Shima too?

But yeah, wow, it's been a while since I saw a huge twist like that in an anime. Assuming that Shima is a bad guy for the rest of the show, and was just pretending to be friends with everyone all this time. Will be pretty lame if he ends up redeeming himself or revealed to be a double agent, so personally hoping he is one of the bad guys all the way to the end after being a backstabber and fooling everyone.

Yep, already loving this more than season 2.
wildhoodJan 29, 11:37 AM
Jan 28, 10:26 AM

Jun 2016
power of nakama assembled !!

atleast shiemi is cute girl
Jan 28, 12:46 PM
Aug 2021
Reply to Ronninn
Man if this is what a 3-cour show looks like 4 episodes in, we're fucked

Maybe A1 would be still doing this if it weren't for Mashle
@Ronninn It's gonna be split cour, not consecutive.
Jan 28, 2:53 PM
Feb 2016
that betrayal wtf i did not expect that at all

i am intrigued omg lets go
Jan 28, 8:56 PM
Mar 2015
The illiuminati attack and steal Izumo promising to destroy the world as we know it
Jan 28, 10:32 PM

Jan 2011
this shit had me shooked years ago when i first saw it, the side Nemu was on i totally forgot so i went in thinking is he just playing along

once we get into the thick of this arc it will all be new stuff for me and i heard great things on how this continues to get better from here on
Jan 29, 12:43 AM

Dec 2008
oh no suspicious boy had good intentions but everyone misjudged.
It was a bit funny how Shima could carry Izumo on one shoulder.
Now Illuminati has to deal with Izumo's bad mood, they will return her probably.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 4:45 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to thebrentinator24
They misled us into thinking Nemu was the Illuminati spy when the whole time, it was actually Shima. What a twist.

Lucifer shows up and declares war on the True Cross, man, things are getting really spicy now.
@thebrentinator24

Nemu was pretty dumb. I did not expect the twist though, well played.
Jan 29, 4:49 AM
Jun 2007
Wow what a plot twist on illuminati's spy.
Now onwards to "war"?
Jan 29, 6:45 AM
Jul 2013
Nemu tried to protect Izumo, the Illuminati spy was always Renzo, DON'T FUCK WITH ME, wow 🐀 traitor. 🤬

Now with the leader of the Illuminati, Lucifer, making an appearance, everything is moving.

•Rin and company, to the rescue of Izumo.
Jan 29, 11:30 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Shima being a spy for the Illuminati is sad eh
Jan 30, 1:01 AM

Jun 2023
Unexpectedly from Shima bruh
Jan 30, 7:00 AM
Jan 2020
Alexcav999 said:
@Ronninn It's gonna be split cour, not consecutive.

Which means the production is probably worse considering VOLN never did split-cours and most of their shows are 3-2 consecutive cours. Which, looked pretty consistent.
Jan 31, 1:01 AM
Jul 2014
Nothing in this episode makes sense. Like, I was already prepared to see this as something that has nothing to do with Christianity or anything, but right now it is acting the same way as Seven Deadly Sins are about Arthurian lore: nothing makes sense at all. Even when taking it as a completely separate entity which has it's own rules, it's rules are simply dumb and worldbuilding is idiotic. I kind of feel like it started with first introduction of "Vatican".
Jan 31, 2:52 AM
Jan 2024
Reply to eristina
Nothing in this episode makes sense. Like, I was already prepared to see this as something that has nothing to do with Christianity or anything, but right now it is acting the same way as Seven Deadly Sins are about Arthurian lore: nothing makes sense at all. Even when taking it as a completely separate entity which has it's own rules, it's rules are simply dumb and worldbuilding is idiotic. I kind of feel like it started with first introduction of "Vatican".
@eristina they literally use bible verses as spells, nothing in your opinion makes sense.

the manga has one of the best worldbuilding in shonen, keep your braindead take to yourself i guess.
Jan 31, 5:57 AM

Dec 2019
I feel like Rin can be pretty grating in these moments, typical shonen mc being angrily optimistic, but I guess that is him so it would be more out of character if he acted any different. I also feel like if the Shima reveal hadn't already been spoiled to me years in advance then that would've had a lot more impact, either way I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. First time I've been interested in Blue Exorcist in a long time.
Jan 31, 2:17 PM
Jul 2014
Reply to phantomRin
@eristina they literally use bible verses as spells, nothing in your opinion makes sense.

the manga has one of the best worldbuilding in shonen, keep your braindead take to yourself i guess.
@phantomRin Hahaha, this one of the best worldbuilding in shonen? Please, keep to yourself clown. Bible verses as spells, wow, amazing, who would have though of that.
Jan 31, 2:30 PM
Jan 2024
Reply to eristina
@phantomRin Hahaha, this one of the best worldbuilding in shonen? Please, keep to yourself clown. Bible verses as spells, wow, amazing, who would have though of that.
@eristina respectfully, read the manga, there's a reason why the series is still included in oricon top selling series whenever a new volume comes out. that's all I'm going to say.
Jan 31, 4:37 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Well welcome back Blue Exorcist. What a great episode. The twist finding out Shima was the spy and Rin trying to go above and beyond to trust that he wasn’t even after he walked away is hard because he just wants his friends back. Excited to see next weeks episode to see what happens next
Feb 4, 9:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I'm guessing there must've been suspicions of Memphisto-san being a traitor but it appears the illuminati in the group was Shima after all. I got to say, that was handled really well, because I didn't see it coming at all until he just knocked Izumo out of nowhere. Hell of a demon he summoned though, subtle give away in hindsight. Memphisto-san's older brother though, huh? Interesting...

"I'll be there in 30 seconds," but it was never meant to be, xD. Jokes aside, the equilibrium has been disturbed so I'm curious to see what he's capable of in due time. Some serious way to wage war, here. The captured informant wasn't kidding, phew.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 4, 12:20 PM
Mar 2021
le levanto mucho la trama, ya tenia las expectativas bajisimazzz
Feb 4, 6:51 PM

Feb 2016
I ALWAYS KNEW THAT SHIMA FUCKING SUCKS
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Feb 5, 12:33 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I don´t believe, Shima is a Illuminati spy!!!
Lucifer? Amazing change in the plot!!
kekeke
Feb 8, 12:44 PM

Dec 2010
I actually enjoyed watching Illuminati pulling the rug under the True Cross Order, those stuck-ups had it coming for a long time.

I looooove "Exorcist", when it starts playing you know that shit is really going down.
Feb 11, 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
This season started slow but this episode brought things back up to speed. The Illuminati seem like the first serious opponent Rin and pals are going to face.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

52 by luccide »»
May 14, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

50 by Softhenic03 »»
May 12, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9

46 by Softhenic03 »»
May 12, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2

39 by Softhenic03 »»
May 12, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Ao no Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati-hen Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 24

33 by Softhenic03 »»
May 12, 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.