Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2010 11:36 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was just crazy... this story is reaching unimaginable proportions. Gainax usually surprises mee like this, what started mediocre, is leading to a an epic finale, sometimes it's the opposite.
Jul 7, 2010 12:34 PM

Apr 2009
That was amazing, but i don't understand what Nono want to do....
Feb 2, 2011 10:19 PM

Mar 2010
What a jargony space mess...
Feb 6, 2011 4:35 PM

Aug 2010
So.....she cheesed it out of there?
Mar 13, 2011 1:47 AM

Oct 2009
That was awesome! So..Nono knew Noriko?
Apr 8, 2011 11:43 PM
Mar 2009
Err...that was pretty confusing.

Nono was found in a freaking comet, lol? Is she related to Noriko in someway?

So there's a Variable space-whatever which I'm guessing is just a main nest of the true space aliens. The fake ones were really a defense system that was created by humans in the past? So then...what the hell happened? I thought they got rid of the majority of the space aliens in Gunbuster. Oh, and that screeching noise it makes. Good god, my ears bleed...

Lolrape on a robot girl, what would you call that anyway?

I thought Nono was gonna ditch Lal'C and go kamikaze the thing by herself, but she warps away instead. Didn't see that coming.

Hope next episode gives a strong finish to the series.
May 25, 2011 6:32 PM

Apr 2009
I've watched the Science Lessons before so I know about the extra four planets beyond Pluto in the Gunbuster universe, Jupiter was used as a core of Buster Machine III so that's one less at the end of Gunbuster. In this episode, Kaminatsuki was now the new 10th planet when it was the 12th normally in the Science Lessons or 11th at end of Gunbuster, what happened to the planets Lucifer or Metis? I think I might be obsessing with the details so don't mind me, LOL.

So Nono remembers Noriko of the original Gunbuster? At the ending of this episode, Nono might be up to something. I hope this series give a good ending next episode.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 9, 2011 6:15 PM

Aug 2009
No-no-ri-ri-ko

Noriko...

Holy shit!! I'm exited to see how this exactly ties in with Gunbuster!
Sep 12, 2011 4:26 AM

Jul 2011
GAINAX has outdone itself with this episode -- the exponential increase in pacing following episode 3 is similar to that of Gun Buster, only far greater in magnitude and truly impressive visually.

This episode explained quite a lot of things, so I'm actually hoping for a sensible rather than a typical 'GAINAX ending'.
Sep 20, 2011 6:45 PM

Apr 2011
Epic and fucking awesome. Interesting to see Nono become the one surpassing Onee-sama, just like in the original. Except Nono's more or less a goddess-bot, and Noriko was just a girl with a super robot.

Plowing on to the end ...
Sep 7, 2012 7:29 AM

Sep 2012
Ok, she threw a planet. Amazing. Nono knew Noriko ? I hope a good ending.
Feb 3, 2013 12:15 AM

Jul 2008
Black hole Exelio....I think they meant EXELION! And Nono knows Noriko....oh boy how will this all tie together...

Also throwing planets....or what's left of them.
Apr 25, 2013 11:41 PM

May 2010
Heh, this is the same excitement I felt back when I watched TTGL. Except 4 years later, when I thought I was more jaded and experienced and wouldn't be so easily impressed. God damn it, never underestimate mother fucking Gainax!
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 31, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
There's a blatant homage to FLCL at 6:49 - 7:04 (SPIDER! FLCL fans would understand).
Seeing as the writer and director are the same, it's understandable.
That was a great episode.

I finally understand who No-no-ri-ri-ko is now.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Dec 29, 2013 10:19 PM

Nov 2011
Nono never ceases to amaze me in this show now. It's funny how at the end when Lal'C shouted her name, it came out almost like "NOOOOOOOOOOO".
Jul 9, 2014 2:29 PM

May 2012
Oh wow that ending! Really impressive development! I really wonder how they're going to end this so let's see what's next!
Jul 9, 2014 7:26 PM

Oct 2013
noooooo NONO D: I hope she gets out using her teleportation MAYBE PLEASE don't die T-T
great episode
[/quote]
Dec 5, 2014 1:53 PM

Sep 2013
I wonder what happens now. ^_^
Aug 16, 2015 1:41 AM

Jul 2014
Aozure said:
That was awesome! So..Nono knew Noriko?
I don't think so. Nono is Buster Machine #7, in Gunbuster the newest one was #3. I think that, when Nono was created, Noriko's story was a common knowledge. That's why she knew about her.
Jun 16, 2016 5:46 AM

Dec 2008
Eh, I'm not really feeling the excitement like others are for this episode.
Jul 27, 2016 9:06 AM

Sep 2015
I'm torn on this episode. On the one hand I'm a huge fan of the finale, which appears to be emulating the warm and fuzzy triumph of Gunbusters Episode 5 before taking a sudden melancholy turn at the end. I also like that we finally get some answers about all of this magical sci fi stuff we've seen. But it features hands down my least favorite scene in the whole series. This episode is the last time we see Nicola for a significant period of time. We learn he is dying of a disease related to his Topless Power (calling to mind Coach's space sickness in the original). But while that series opted to martyr it's male lead, Nicola is revealed to be outright villainous. I found it surprising as his intentions are left fairly ambiguous until now.

Nicola is no great schemer (at least that's not what's important now) his fall from grace is much dirtier. He attempts to rape Nono, who now being treated as government property by the military is rescued by soldiers. I never particularly liked Nicola, and always suspected he was kind of a dick. But what's disappointing to me is the way the scene is handled. I liked Lal'C being concerned about Nono and trying to break down the door. But her reaction to what follows is a little disappointing for her character. I think deliberately so, and I don't condemn this choice but watching her feel sorry for herself after someone else is almost raped and then cop an attitude to the victim is not pleasant. Still I've always loved Golden Age Gainax's powerfully imperfect characters.

I guess the main thing that really bothered me then is how exploitative the scene is. Nono has in some ways functioned nearly from the beginning as an object of fantasy. The fact that now the military treats her like an object is telling but it's part of a larger trend we've seen. Those grunt pilots from the first episode who assaulted her while everyone including her boss in the bar watched. Casio and Nicola voyeuristically watching Nono throughout the show. Really just how most everyone treats her like garbage. I think the shot from the ED that encapsulates her character the best, is the one where she's reaching out for the departing space ship naked and crying. But despite all these examples this was too far for me. I think it's a mean spirited scene, that didn't need to happen or at least could have happened differently.

All of these qualms over a single scene were quieted for me I must admit, by the show stopping finale. We get to see Nono in full Buster form summoning the robot creatures the Topless have been fighting in order to stave off the new threat of the old kaiju themselves. What makes this fight stand out as with most of the great fights in both Buster animes, is the connection between the two people fighting in it. Lal'C fighting against all odds to break out of the military's detainment, and aid Nono in Dix'Neuf is emotionally stirring. And it shows serious development as Lal'C finally admits both to herself and the world that she does care about Nono.

As I said at the beginning though the excitement is undercut by the end. Lal'C and Nono are asked by the military to essentially do what Noriko and Amano did in the Gunbuster finale. It's believed this will mean suicide, but Lal'C is ready to go out in a blaze of glory. Nono however just sadly smiles and departs vanishing into space. I'm curious what this is leading to with our final episode. Is it going to be on Lal'C to save the Earth? Why did Nono leave and will she return? After what a ride this has been I'm sure it will be exciting to find out.
Sep 17, 2016 2:36 PM

Feb 2015
I wish this had more episodes. Things are starting to get better now.
Dec 2, 2016 4:43 AM

Aug 2014
Yes Lal'C, get angry at the person that was about to get raped smfh.

Obviously Nono is up to something...at least I hope lol.
Jul 23, 2017 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
I wonder if I'm watching an anime about mechas or an anime about a magical girl.
Nov 23, 2018 9:25 PM

Aug 2018
Well Lal’C you’ve given Nono nothing but hell from episode 1. Looks like she finally got tired of your shit and said the hell with you too.
Jun 7, 2019 3:53 PM

Sep 2013
Not feeling it. Ready for this series to be over.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 23, 2020 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
hmm, now I see where Gurren Lagann got all their vibes from.
On a side note, did Nicholas try to eat or rape nono?? It seemed to me that he wanted to eat her to "get" her powers.
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Jun 2021
I don't know if it was the right decision to watch this rather than playing roblox with my little brother, it's been like ages since i played the house with him, what would you do in my place guys?
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MK - Aug 12, 2008

147 by Jacktwelve17 »»
Jan 5, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 19, 2009

48 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 20, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 2 Discussion

naikou - Sep 30, 2008

46 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

56 by OneMoreFinal »»
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.