Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, Memenpu and Gagumber has such a funny chemistry in this show. She's also so confident about her routes but Gagumber just rejects them.

Memenpu also strikes to me as a girl who isn't afraid to take any risks like when she jumped down from that height all the way down to those ruins. She's got the heart and personality of an explorer in this sci-fi adventure imo.

Jul 2017
The father-daughter duo of Gagumber and Memempu are out in the Labyrinth, and the surroundings indeed feels more like Made In Abyss.

Exploring the dangerous Labyrinth on their trusty mecha "Big Tony", and it's a lot of places to research to reach their final destination: Jolly-Jolly on Urorop's given map. The genius daughter knows where to go using her brain, but the cautious father says no to danger, the pride of a Marker in experience. The BGM has that Yuki Kajiura feel, while simultaneously being different all at the same time.

Getting to Jolly-Jolly will take sometime and a few base camp points to get there, while fleshing out their characters more in the process and avoiding potential Kaiju along the way. As expected, Kaiju are lurking around, but the findings of an underground city where Markers have lost their lives in the similar vein, Memempu getting trapped meant that while she had brains, she doesn't have the brawn like her father Gagumber.

Exploring Memempu's backstory a bit shows that she's the exemplary kid both at home and in school, but reality is often far harsher than she could expect (as what happened to Lynda). And her father Gagumber complementing her with his experience makes for compelling characters.

Melоlo, a staff member of the "Control Bureau" is here to greet them, and what is his notion?

Jun 2019
Memempu is so cute. But, again she can get ahead of herself which is expected when she's finally so close to the ambitions she wants to achieve in such a short lifetime. Then, again she's a little child, I don't blame her for getting too excited. And, since Gagumber has to take care of her one and only daughter in all of this, it's not his fault either. But, no shortcuts to Jolly-Jolly. Tony is a good boy btw.

Love seeing their little fights with each other in this show. I find it cute. Getting separated in unknown territory can be quite dangerous and scary especially when you have to look for those big Kaiju monsters and those insect things. Of course, you're scared Memempu, you're just a kid but Gagumber's entry was awesome. A new guy appeared. Another good episode IMO. So far, exceeding my expectations by a huge margin.

Apr 2016
So the adventure of our family duo officially starts in this week's episode. We also back at the happy and dandy atmosphere, with our mains having a good time exploring the labyrinth. Some "lore" dumps, explanations with a bit of world building here and there.

It's nice to see our Memenpu going with a good old "if there is no way ahead, we'll make one". But this was the third episode in a row with the "i can do anything and i dont need anyone else, only right after getting into trouble and actually needing someone to help me", it's getting boring real fast.

Ive seen some people mention this, but the labyrinth does reminds me the Abyss from the Made in Abyss. Also can we please have more variety of monsters ? We saw that CGI digimon too many times already (and no, the bugs does not count).
Oct 21, 2021 8:02 AM
Sep 2015
Father and daughter camping gone wrong
Oct 21, 2021 8:09 AM

Apr 2018
They definitely have a special bond together. The adventure has finally begun and seems like it'll be a long ride. The labyrinth looks beautiful so you should take your time to explore. Memenpu acts like she can do everything which is pretty arrogant. There's so much that she doesn't know and should take her time to learn and understand. But, she does it in her own way. The Kaiju's and insects look pretty good but expecting some greater stuff later. In the end, a new guy appeared. Seems like he's up to something.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 21, 2021 8:44 AM

Jul 2011
When you cant blame Memenpu for her adventurous behavior, when you think how many adults in this world die climbing mountains or doing cave exploring.

I was worried that we would lost Tony early too
Oct 21, 2021 8:45 AM

Jun 2021
Not sure I get how jumping into an unknown, deep cavern by yourself is ever a good idea, even if normal Tony has a fluffy marshmallow mode. This isn't Minecraft, you can't just MLG water bucket and survive.

Either way, I appreciated the visual imagery at the end with Memempu in Gagumber's chair using her heart, while he's in her chair using his head.

I am wondering, tho. Is English the main language of their world? Written text like Gagumber's smutty magazine is in English, and the music on the radio, too.
Oct 21, 2021 8:58 AM

Jun 2021
Good episode.

Memenpuu gets too cocky and gets in trouble, but Gagumber comes to save the day. I know it's cliche, but it works when it's combined with solid animation and awesome BGM.

Looks like we'll be getting new characters next episode, which I am excited for.
Oct 21, 2021 9:47 AM

Nov 2016
My man just having a chill tea time xD

Enjoying this more with every episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 21, 2021 11:21 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Love Memenpu and Gagumber’s character chemistry. Seems Memenpu takes risks as well xD. She locked Gagumber out of the controls and dug into the rocks when there could have been a possible gas buildup there. A kaiju appeared and Memenpu used Tony to break her fall when jumping in between a huge rock chasm xD. She really is brave. Best dad Gagumber helps Memenpu when she calls for him which was a nice scene. At the end, this weird guy says what he is about to do is regrettable…

So far really liking the sense of adventure that this show gives and like the main characters also. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 21, 2021 11:52 AM

Apr 2017
I will have a hard time to continue this show if Memempu continues to be so insufferable. It's honestly the most annoying character I’ve seen in a while.
Also tired of writer saying a character is intelligent and every action proves the contrary. That might be because the writer is not really smart himself…
Oct 21, 2021 2:40 PM
Jun 2019
BlichoBoy said:
When you cant blame Memenpu for her adventurous behavior, when you think how many adults in this world die climbing mountains or doing cave exploring.

I was worried that we would lost Tony early too
Tony better make it through to the end. Alpaca boi for life
Oct 21, 2021 3:52 PM
Feb 2019
This girl is so goddamn annoying. Has to say how smart she is all the time but all her decisions are wrong. A genius who can't figure out that humans have basic needs like sleep. Dropped. Anime makers think you can give a character a dog shit personality as long as she's a loli. Very stupid. And don't give me that she's a kid, anime makers stupidly insert lolis into almost every single anime, they're just placeholders for characters at this point.
Oct 21, 2021 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
The relationship between Memenpu and Gagumber is so much fun my god the scenes in these anime and the soundtrack are amazing.
Oct 21, 2021 5:19 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Thats a really cute relationship between the 2 of them. Onto that great worldbuilding and a solid story, I really like watching it so far.

smoochie smoochie

Oct 21, 2021 5:28 PM

Sep 2020
I'm not sure Memempu has learned anything about exploring cautiously today...
Oct 21, 2021 7:23 PM
May 2016
I like everything except the CG monsters, take me out of it every time they appear.
Oct 21, 2021 8:18 PM

May 2021
I dont really like how Memenpu keep doing deductions off screen that are apparently smart because X or Y, seems like a cheap way of proving intelligence over a coherent display of such. Also they have done the same Father vs Daughter conflict like three episodes in a row, I hope the new character add some spice to it, kind of like Made in Abyss where the main duo was awfully boring but the side ones added dimensionality to it. I will keep watching this because it is guaranteed feelings at the end, but the Memenpu is a huge question mark

Oct 21, 2021 8:53 PM

Mar 2021
I like how she wore a helmet in the cave, as supposed to the rest of the time, when they are also in a cave...
★・・・・・・★
If you wish to treat this incident as our nation’s scheme, that is fine by me. History is written by the victors. All of your false accusations will soon be erased.
★・・・・・・★

Oct 22, 2021 12:36 AM
May 2020
Gween_Gween said:
I dont really like how Memenpu keep doing deductions off screen that are apparently smart because X or Y, seems like a cheap way of proving intelligence over a coherent display of such. Also they have done the same Father vs Daughter conflict like three episodes in a row, I hope the new character add some spice to it, kind of like Made in Abyss where the main duo was awfully boring but the side ones added dimensionality to it. I will keep watching this because it is guaranteed feelings at the end, but the Memenpu is a huge question mark

I agree. I have seen no display of any intelligence from her, yet she has to outburst "I'm so smart" every 3 minutes. To pile on even more, her arrogance is way too overbearing. I hope the new character mixes things up because I'm starting to think about dropping it.
Oct 22, 2021 1:18 AM

Apr 2020
Harem_lover94 said:
This girl is so goddamn annoying. Has to say how smart she is all the time but all her decisions are wrong. A genius who can't figure out that humans have basic needs like sleep. Dropped. Anime makers think you can give a character a dog shit personality as long as she's a loli. Very stupid. And don't give me that she's a kid, anime makers stupidly insert lolis into almost every single anime, they're just placeholders for characters at this point.

i feel u bro
this kid just let her own father fight with a monster 5 times bigger than him and she doesn't give a f about it :V
Oct 22, 2021 1:36 AM

Dec 2020
god im REAALLY loving this father-daughter duo. such a fun show to watch, even if irs predictable and cliche at times.

never thought id say this but im starting to like the robot animation more, enjoying it actually. rly cool. not a fan of the monsters though but they're bareable, just hope we can have more variety

and ah !! they said it. the title of the show "SAKUGAN!!!" "lets dig in" was it? :D

last but not least a new character, looks like one of those cheeky smart bastards that'll lend his hand to you when you fall but charge you for it right after
Oct 22, 2021 2:59 AM

Dec 2015
Like the feeling/atmosphere of the labyrinth - though I usually dislike aventure-type anime. Problem: The girl is a bit annoying here. And the other chars don't seem like they'll be that good. (Guy at the end and others in the preview.)

When they worked together at the end - both main chars were okay. But the childish side of Memempu ... annoying. Should have used a girl in her older teens instead.
Oct 22, 2021 4:50 AM

Feb 2014
It's rather amusing to see how Memempu and Gagumber were still at each other's throats when it came to the navigation of the labyrinth and what route they would use. As expected of a kid, Memempu's stubborn levels were too strong and she got her way in the end. However, when the kaiju attacked them both at the outpost camp and both of them got separated, it was here that Memempu was completely out of her comfort zone.

While there's no denying how smart she she, she's not immune to making poor decisions and not trusting her father's experience almost came at the cost of her life, but thankfully, her father came to save her, while also retrieving the massive backpack that she dropped when she ran away from the bug army and they both got to their destination where they were greeted by a chill guy having tea outside the entrance. Talk about being laid-back. XD

While not as good as the previous two episodes, I thought this one was still good enough, while having Memempu learning to trust her gut instinct more often. It makes me glad that she's a kid in this show, rather than having another cliched older teen character in her position. While not guaranteeing a better viewing experience, it does make me a refreshing change. =P
Oct 22, 2021 5:25 AM

May 2021
geo_TTRS said:
Gween_Gween said:

I agree. I have seen no display of any intelligence from her, yet she has to outburst "I'm so smart" every 3 minutes. To pile on even more, her arrogance is way too overbearing. I hope the new character mixes things up because I'm starting to think about dropping it.

I think her arrogance while overbearing steams from a good place (Id est, is a flaw of her character instead of something to look for), and it will be corrected later. The logical path they are following is that "She is a kid genius"->"She is arrogant because she has always been right"->"But in uncertainty you need to follow people who have more experience and work with others", which can be seen when she says that she has always been the smartest person in the room and how they have introduced the concept of experience vs books over and over again. But yeah, the lack of display of intelligence makes all the things above worthless

Oct 22, 2021 8:29 AM

Jun 2020
It's a very subtle detail in this show, but did anyone else notice that Memenpu is smart?

Honestly, the little brat is getting really annoying. They should've actually let her get attacked by the giant crab robots instead of whatever that cliche last minute save was.
Oct 22, 2021 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
For the most part, this show has been pretty good so far, but my god is it aggressively unsubtle at times in terms of both dialogue and exposition: how many times must we hear Memempu profess herself as smart before the writers trust that we've got the point? Besides this, it was incredibly obvious that this episode's sole purpose was to force Memempu to understand the value of experience and actually listen to literally anything Gagumba says. Gagumba's cheap last-minute save (how did he know where Memempu went after jumping into the chasm to save her at the last second, and how did he have her bag just when they needed it?) was perhaps even more obvious than that messaging.

Honestly, this episode just brought up a lot of minor, arguably nitpicky complaints in general. First, if Troll Pride or whatever it was called is an established base camp for Markers, why would Gagumba and Memempu need to steal electricity from it rather than just collecting it via legitimate means (given that that's the very purpose of these base camps to begin with)? Second, why is Gagumba's mech either built in such a way as to allow one pilot to lock the other out of the controls or built to be easily hackable? For what this type of mech has been shown to be used for so far, what purpose would a piloting system of that nature serve (besides allowing Memempu to progress the plot super easily)? Also, if Memempu has always wanted to become a Marker, why wouldn't she know anything about the red flags (besides to provide a cheap way to provide that exposition to the viewer)?

I'm hoping the introduction of some new characters next week will shake things up a little, as there's only so far you can go with Gagumba and Memempu constantly arguing about everything until they perfectly work together when the plot requires.
Oct 22, 2021 11:53 AM

Feb 2012
14:33 Memempu ditches her dad, thinking she can handle this herself. 16:53 and that's where such pride gets her.

21:11 I don't think she really learnt her lesson.

Are they at the gates of another community now?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 22, 2021 12:11 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Looks like this is gonna be a cute story of a father daughter team

Memenpu annoys the hell out of me lol
Gagumber is a great dad

Hopefully they listen to what is in their heart
Oct 22, 2021 3:55 PM

Mar 2012
Memenpu completely ruins this show for me.
Oct 22, 2021 4:07 PM

Sep 2017
Seems like this show was also written entirely with the heart if you know what I mean... For someone who the writers keep trying to tell us is a completely genius, she sure is dumb as shit. Lot of questionable things this episode and some not great uses of exposition.
Oct 23, 2021 3:05 AM

Aug 2012
The episode was awful: Cutting through the rock like that will cause a massive cave-in. And apparently ignoring even the slightestest safety precaution makes you smart? No sorry it just makes you dead. Also regardless what that thing is made of it would not protect one when jumping into a crevasse.
Oct 23, 2021 4:37 AM
Oct 2019
i swear this kid will not listen to Gagumba at all... Respect your own father, kid!
i have a feeling she didn't learn any lesson from this episode. lmao

Hey they said the name of the show... lol
Oct 23, 2021 5:29 AM

Jul 2016
MenchiK1 said:
I like everything except the CG monsters, take me out of it every time they appear.

I just cant tell if I like this or not...
Oct 23, 2021 8:41 AM

Nov 2013
A bit dumb episode. Felt kind of rushed too.

Memenpu is supposedly a smart girl, and I realize she's just a kid, but she made quite dumb decisions this episode.

Jumping into the unknown was really stupid. I think she believed Gagumber would follow her shortly anyways, but that was just stupid. A smart person wouldn't gamble their life. Not to mention how she couldn't eat much, didn't sleep much, and yet decided to leave mech and wander into unknown unarmed and unarmored.

Hopefully Memenpu learns a lesson or two after her near-death experience.
Oct 23, 2021 8:47 AM
Feb 2019
Atavistic said:
For the most part, this show has been pretty good so far, but my god is it aggressively unsubtle at times in terms of both dialogue and exposition: how many times must we hear Memempu profess herself as smart before the writers trust that we've got the point? Besides this, it was incredibly obvious that this episode's sole purpose was to force Memempu to understand the value of experience and actually listen to literally anything Gagumba says. Gagumba's cheap last-minute save (how did he know where Memempu went after jumping into the chasm to save her at the last second, and how did he have her bag just when they needed it?) was perhaps even more obvious than that messaging.

Honestly, this episode just brought up a lot of minor, arguably nitpicky complaints in general. First, if Troll Pride or whatever it was called is an established base camp for Markers, why would Gagumba and Memempu need to steal electricity from it rather than just collecting it via legitimate means (given that that's the very purpose of these base camps to begin with)? Second, why is Gagumba's mech either built in such a way as to allow one pilot to lock the other out of the controls or built to be easily hackable? For what this type of mech has been shown to be used for so far, what purpose would a piloting system of that nature serve (besides allowing Memempu to progress the plot super easily)? Also, if Memempu has always wanted to become a Marker, why wouldn't she know anything about the red flags (besides to provide a cheap way to provide that exposition to the viewer)?

I'm hoping the introduction of some new characters next week will shake things up a little, as there's only so far you can go with Gagumba and Memempu constantly arguing about everything until they perfectly work together when the plot requires.

Her father seemed rather surprised that mech can do it, so it is probably one of those adjustements the girl made before leaving the colony. The mech itself seem no more capable than before and we've also only seen her work with computers, so we can assume, she is actually only a programmer good at software. I started programming when I was 9 yo and became quite good early on, so I can kinda undestand her skill is easier to accomplish with no experience in the real world.

Ultimately, this anime is introducing us to a person that has great talent, but because of it us also full of ego who is being met with hardships of their world having to learn that her pride is no good there and gain the experience she needs for the jorney to be succesfull. She might annoy people, but unlike usual mary sue, she at least has space for character developement. We're all sick of characters being flawless and loved by all. Her character is less OP, but similar to rudy in recent mushoku tensei, where a kid is still a kid and while talented, can't do anything right because of lack of experience.

I also like that people die when they get killed. Screw the power of friendship, lynda got hit, now in the grave.
Oct 23, 2021 8:48 AM
Jan 2021
I’m really enjoying this series so far hopefully it doesn’t go down hill
Oct 23, 2021 5:31 PM
Mar 2012
Cave dive adventure quite fun, great backgrounds.
Brat getting very annoying, messed up twice & barely got a lecture. Also lock control from backseat quite dangerous can get both killed.
Oct 23, 2021 7:02 PM
Dec 2019
This anime is pretty unique but kind of reminds me of gurren lagann because of the drills. It's nice to see Memenpu finally acknowledge Gamamber a bit more. And their relationship is something I've never seen much in anime.
Oct 24, 2021 12:03 PM

Nov 2012
I can see by comment that it's not just me finding Memempu annoying and insufferable. I loathe the way she speaks to her father. I have wanted to slap her too many times in 3 episodes. That's not good. In her arrogance she probably caused an earthquake by drilling w/o knowing the topography; caused ecological disaster since the river was diverted; alerted a kaiju to their location; abandoned her father to satisfy her curiosity; threw away their only map; and lost her backpack (and Tony the lifesaver) & flashlight. Did I miss anything?

She is very intelligent, but she only has book smarts. She has theories, but has no experience applying them as Gaguber basically said. She's too arrogant to listen to someone with more experience. Unfortunately, I know a few people like that and they can be very dangerous. There's an old saying 'S/He's so smart, s/he's stupid.' That's Memempu.
dragynfaerieOct 24, 2021 12:14 PM
Oct 24, 2021 4:35 PM

Jan 2019
I don't know if I like the way this anime deals with the sense of danger and how much suspension of disbelief it requires from the audience, because there are things that are really hard to accept around here. We already know that Memempu is impulsive, but I think drilling a cave without making any calculations was too much even for her. It's not as if she didn't know - at least in theory - the risks involved in exploring the labyrinth. She could have killed them both then and there. Also, why the hell does her dad let her pilot the robot alone (which, again, could lead to their deaths) and just say "let's see how far this goes"? So the girl jumps into a crack in the ground not knowing what's underneath, and she's saved from a deadly fall by a bloating stuffed animal? But wait a minute, because now, of all times, the dangers of recklessly exploring the labyrinth are going to be taken seriously. So the girl loses everything, is chased by monsters, nearly passes out from fatigue and cold after locking herself in the container, is saved by her father and…okay, the consequences of her recklessness have been taken seriously for too long. From this point forward, the anime returns to normalcy where such questions are bullshit. The girl is brand new and manages to pilot the robot with her father with the same dexterity as before, because everything she went through was not really a big deal.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 25, 2021 10:22 AM
May 2018
What the HELL did she hope to accomplish by leaving the robot behind????? WTF????????
Oct 25, 2021 12:23 PM

Apr 2015
Memenpu's recklessness is just way too over the top. I get that they are trying to present it as a bit of a flaw and I appreciate that they are backing it up with the 'I always wanted to be independent' bit, but she's just not acting like any sane human would do at all. The writers provide backup for 50 but they are doing 300.

She gets into these pointless situations again and again but her plot armor is thicker than her mecha's armor, and before during and after all this ridiculousness we're being told repeatedly that she is so perfect and their adventure is gonna be so cool etc. etc. But is she/it actually so?

And also they haven't really conveyed their motives to us properly neither. It's drummed into us that this picture is so important to Memenpu but I'm still not getting why exactly that's the case, why she's so passionate about that. Completely different to say TTGL GLT MIA where there the motives were clear and so powerful. At least in Deca-dence we can completely get in sync with Natsume's goals

Solid execution though
LanzOct 25, 2021 12:32 PM
Oct 25, 2021 6:43 PM
Jul 2019
So far it's a good anime.
Adventure type with Father and Daughter bonding.

When the father and daughter argue its just humorous. There's not even a dry spot in the anime where you felt boring. It just keep you interested.

It's an anime whole family can enjoy.

Memepu is just an active kid which is curious and adventurous. She had a goal and a dream. While the father might have a sad past, is now unmotivated. So far lost.

My guess us the kaiju probably following them due to the stone they holding.
blazinblazinOct 25, 2021 6:54 PM
Oct 26, 2021 6:56 AM

Oct 2017
Predictable turn of events but I still liked it pretty much. Memempu still being a stubborn brat but she learnt her lesson this time, hopefully. Also forgot to mention this last time but both the OP and ED are pretty cool.
Oct 26, 2021 8:48 PM

Nov 2009
Where can I get this Tony? Sounds like a really useful plushy. lol

Still no explanation on where the Kaijus came from... and how are humanity able to build cities and other buildings all throughout the labyrinth. (since their home is just a "colony" and there's a "central" and giant pipelines that transfer electric power (and cables?) between cities...) Without the Kaijus going around and destroying all the pipelines and literally shuts down cities?...

(They also apparently somehow have internet? where ppls can transfer info between cities and ppls using computers)

___ ___ ___

on other note, apparently the "marker bot" has higher performance if there are 2 pilots operation at same time (reminds me of Pacific Rim)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Oct 29, 2021 10:54 PM
Aug 2019
Honestly I love father-daughter animes, but Memenpu annoys me quite a lot lol. I get wanting to make her dream true and having adventures, but she never really thinks of her dad... Like, she left him fighting against that monster and also making him dead worried by jumping through a hole lol
Nov 1, 2021 8:45 AM

Jul 2021
Ohh so we're finally meeting that one guy from the opening. Or atleast I could've sworn I saw him in the opening. One thing I noticed is all the male characters seem to have the same face lmao

Also love the little blue sheep guy :] Even though I'm pretty sure he's just a plushy he feels very alive
Nov 2, 2021 5:37 PM

Aug 2018
for someone that's supposed to be smart, she doesn't learn...

kind of a bad episode
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2021

67 by RioAl »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

113 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:09 AM

» Will there be a second season?

LovelyTekki - Dec 27, 2021

5 by Ionliosite2 »»
Mar 13, 2023 12:36 PM

» yay or nay

Wlad- - Feb 8, 2019

33 by PulpoPol »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:50 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

39 by Titadou »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.