Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2019 4:07 PM

Dec 2016
phantomfandom said:
Tsarko said:
Vinland Saga started in a shounen magazine before switching to seinen one half a year later.

That might explain, it's a little bit sad that author's creativity is controled by demographic target of publisher. It happens everywhere around the world but the clash between author and editor is more prominent in Japan where all entertainment form is in business systematic.

To be fair it works in both ways, Cell saga from Dragon Ball was editor idea if not we could have only Android 20 and 19.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.163/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.85/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Aug 18, 2019 4:21 PM

Dec 2013
Thorfinn is a secret Naruto fan.

Askeladd trolling the creepy general was hilarious.
Aug 18, 2019 4:50 PM

Aug 2013
so now we get to the adapting of the first chapter or something...okay then let's see how it goes
Don't believe the hype.
Aug 18, 2019 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Guys This episode was amazing ,i want to say something there is a troll here please don't bite the bait
Aug 18, 2019 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
I forgot just how goofy the overweight guy was in the manga. I thought Vinland Saga is supposed to be a very dark series, with some light-heartedness, but the overweight guy was cringe.
Aug 18, 2019 5:32 PM

Oct 2017
Another great episode. I liked the POV where thorfinn is cutting down soldiers.
Aug 18, 2019 5:53 PM
Nov 2015
I understand the manga-anime comparisons are inevitable for manga readers, but from an anime-only POV I pretty much liked this episode.

The CGI varied in quality, in some scenes it looked pretty acceptable and in others it looked too out of place. But I guess it can't be helped.

Great episode overall, as always.
Aug 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Apr 2015
Wow, i didnt know vikings used to do naruto running. Wasnt aware just how old that series was.
Aug 18, 2019 7:01 PM

May 2015
This adaptation keeps delivering on every front. I even kind of liked some of the CGI scenes, as crazy as that sounds.

Aug 18, 2019 7:44 PM
Mar 2015
Vikings steal the show and the treasure by carrying their ships on land.
Thorfin tries to get ahead but Askeladd always one step ahead
Aug 18, 2019 7:48 PM

Dec 2016
Something was weird about this episode... It felt more 'outlandish' than the rest, is probably how I would describe it. I know this show threw out any notions of realism long ago (and that's fine), but this episode took it to a new level with that cartoonish, caricature of a lord/general, Thorfinn Naruto running, Thorfinn soloing like fifteen men, and the boat carrying scene. I wouldn't say I disliked this episode, but it was probably the one I liked the least.

What's the difference?
Aug 18, 2019 8:12 PM

Jan 2019
Daemon said:
Something was weird about this episode... It felt more 'outlandish' than the rest, is probably how I would describe it. I know this show threw out any notions of realism long ago (and that's fine), but this episode took it to a new level with that cartoonish, caricature of a lord/general, Thorfinn Naruto running, Thorfinn soloing like fifteen men, and the boat carrying scene. I wouldn't say I disliked this episode, but it was probably the one I liked the least.

As much as this was already pointed out multiple times in this thread, I'll point it out anyways. The manga starts out as Shonen, then changes to Seinen later on. Since this covers chapter 1, it's no surprise that it would be different.
Aug 18, 2019 8:26 PM

Oct 2013
Excellent episode just stick with the source material, hopefully they will keep it this way...
Aug 18, 2019 8:27 PM

Jun 2013
Thorfinn just did the Naruto run so i guess he too will storm area 51
Aug 18, 2019 8:38 PM

Jan 2013
Askeladd is becoming my favorite character...at least for now
Aug 18, 2019 8:58 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty great episode, Askeladd and Thorfinn some GOATs lmaoooo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 18, 2019 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode, felt like 5 minute. Constantly was giving me strong deja vu than any other episode mostly being adapting the very first chapter :o (and felt more like pilot episode anyone can jump into the show from here).

And yeah seems like we will have to see more cg from here and luckily there were more ost this time.

edit: okay seems like this was afterall adapted the very first chapter of the manga. I am guessing that this episode was first produced then afterwards in the middle they decided to tell the story in different order than manga hence the unusual more cgi than other last couple of episodes. (I am perfectly fine with this cgi thing as long they looks natural to the overall color design)
removed-userAug 18, 2019 10:06 PM
Aug 18, 2019 10:25 PM

Aug 2018
great episode 10/10
Aug 18, 2019 11:00 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Thorfinn is badass and Askellad is hilarious. Overall its a nice setup for upcoming arc. To the next episode

Aug 18, 2019 11:10 PM

Mar 2019
Elucid said:

As much as this was already pointed out multiple times in this thread, I'll point it out anyways. The manga starts out as Shonen, then changes to Seinen later on. Since this covers chapter 1, it's no surprise that it would be different.

Were the parts with Thors doing funny stuff from the shounen period too?
Aug 18, 2019 11:21 PM

Nov 2017
This episode was kinda refreshing after last weeks, had some good laughs here n there too. I get why it seemed shounen-y considering that it was like the first(?) chapter in the series or something before it switched to seinen but I thought it did well with what it had.

Aug 18, 2019 11:22 PM

Jan 2019
Pig_on_the_knee said:
Elucid said:

Most likely, that was from one of the first volumes.
Aug 18, 2019 11:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
ziad1419 said:
Farabeuf said:
Finally chapter one gets it adaptation. We get to see Thorfinn in his badass glory.

A shame that the CGI with the ships looked so poor at the end.

Ep was so good
I don't know why you don't like it

Did you read what I wrote? Please point out to me where I wrote I didn't like the episode? I just wrote that the CGI with the ship scenes looked poor.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 19, 2019 12:31 AM

Jan 2019
Farabeuf said:
ziad1419 said:

Ep was so good
I don't know why you don't like it

Did you read what I wrote? Please point out to me where I wrote I didn't like the episode? I just wrote that the CGI with the ship scenes looked poor.

Oh, were you referring to when after Askeladd's gang went past the pass?
Aug 19, 2019 12:38 AM

Jul 2016
I didn't really notice it the last time, but the animation quality's definitely taken a dip this week. I can't fucking stand huge, faceless CGI armies in neutral daytime lighting. It's objectively the least interesting thing in the world to stare at. The first person shots looked pretty good though.

Askeladd is still the best character, the absolute madladd. I'm gonna miss Thorfinn's old voice actor, but I guess the new guy will grow on me eventually.
Aug 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Jul 2016
Okay, after reading the rest of this thread, now I kinda get why this episode looked so shite compared to the last ones, cause they're adapting it out of order, so bits of it are gonna be switching between Shounen-Vinland Saga and Seinen-Vinland Saga, and this episode was Shounen chapter 1. That's why they did a slow reveal of Thorfinn as if we'd never seen him before, despite knowing exactly what he looks like, and that's why the French army was lead by a fucking frog.

Were the guys at Wit not allowed to make any changes when adapting this? If it were me I would have re-wrote that whole chapter to blend better with what they'd already made. That's the beauty of an adaptation, you can change shit you don't like!

Unless... they weren't allowed to, I guess?
Aug 19, 2019 1:18 AM
Aug 2019
Great, now i want to play as vikings in AoE 2
Aug 19, 2019 1:20 AM

May 2019
This just keeps getting better and better. Thorfinn destroying the battlefield as a child is one of my favourite things; it'll be sad to see people just treat him as a monster as an adult rather than a monster that's also a child xD

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Aug 19, 2019 1:24 AM

May 2015
Really don't get the complaints about the animation (besides the CGI since that's historically something most people don't like). I think this is still one of the best looking shows of the year so far.

Aug 19, 2019 1:33 AM
Sep 2016
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Really don't get the complaints about the animation (besides the CGI since that's historically something most people don't like). I think this is still one of the best looking shows of the year so far.

the first episodes in terms of general quality were excellent, it only annoys me to switch to a "normal" quality (at least standard for a good anime) Vinland deserves much more, but then, if it remained like this it would not be a problem, but if this is the beginning of a production problems then....
Aug 19, 2019 1:45 AM
Aug 2019
Rowan_F said:
Were the guys at Wit not allowed to make any changes when adapting this? If it were me I would have re-wrote that whole chapter to blend better with what they'd already made. That's the beauty of an adaptation, you can change shit you don't like!

I would say they just wanted to pay respect to the source material and that is why they left the designs and all the humour as it was. Opening chapter of Vinland Saga is sort of iconic among readers, despite how out of place-ish it might feel once you get used to later seinen-like stuff.

I enjoyed the shit out of this episode, but I can understand how from anime-only perspective (and especially since anime changed the order) it may seem out of place.
Aug 19, 2019 2:16 AM

Jan 2015
Mmh it was an OK episode. Too much CGI for my likings tho and the drop in animation quality was even more noticeable this episode.
It felt quite weird in comparison to the other episodes.
I miss the atmosphere of the first 4/5 episodes

Gotta drop my score to 8
XenocrisiAug 19, 2019 2:23 AM
Aug 19, 2019 2:20 AM
Jul 2019
Rowan_F said:
Okay, after reading the rest of this thread, now I kinda get why this episode looked so shite compared to the last ones, cause they're adapting it out of order, so bits of it are gonna be switching between Shounen-Vinland Saga and Seinen-Vinland Saga, and this episode was Shounen chapter 1. That's why they did a slow reveal of Thorfinn as if we'd never seen him before, despite knowing exactly what he looks like, and that's why the French army was lead by a fucking frog.

the director butchered the dialogue enough. Could've been better if it was 1 for 1 with the manga
Aug 19, 2019 2:56 AM

Jan 2018
Damn Im loving this
Aug 19, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2017
Chapter 1: Going back to the beginning of the new Shounen in its infancy! With how Wit Studio and the staff giving it a new life, I'd say it's still an impressive episode.

It's funny thinking that Thorfinn wanted someone who can speak Norse, but the anime just translated the same EXACT words (with translation) on the background. Obviously Norse language will be a doozy to speak for the VAs and I appreciate the thought of excluding it for the sake of people. Like come on, would anyone be good to pull off speaking Norse language in the modern day.

A head with a helmet, that's Thorfinn's target. No doubt in mind.

The Frank fatass commander is just too useless, while Askeladd reaped the rewards. Not forgetting Thorfinn, whose revenge still stands after his actions, but due to the circumstances, I'd say I had a good laugh after another postponement. Askeladd sure know when to create rifts, cunning, scammer yet humorous general.
KANLen09Aug 19, 2019 3:06 AM
Aug 19, 2019 3:07 AM

May 2018
I feel bad for those armies inside the fort. But ofcourse old Thorfinn looks cool, and I'm starting to like Askellad here. And that Naruto run, I love it.

Aug 19, 2019 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
thekillfra said:

take the first 4 episodes, and compare them with the last two, if this had been the first episode (as it should have been), there would not be all these people defending the technical part. And they also changed dialogues, that quote on "all those people I killed in these years bla bla bla" is stupid because this is not their first duel.

Thorfinn is timid in the anime compared to manga - he's pretty scary and always on egde there.
Aug 19, 2019 3:15 AM

Nov 2018
Pig_on_the_knee said:
Elucid said:

The humour dont leave the series when it becomes seinen, but there wont be much humour in the prologue arc(what the anime will cover),and the manga wasnt published as a shounen for too long, it switched right after thorfinn orin story flashback. Last week's episode was the first seinen chapter if i remenber correctly.
Aug 19, 2019 3:25 AM
May 2017
Rowan_F said:

That has nothing to do with anything, if the manga started in a chronological order people wouldn't complain, aside from the CG the animation has been good, this is the exact same thing that happened with Promised Neverland and Aot, Manga readers don't want adaptations, they want copy/paste!! Its the classic "this wasn't like in the manga, therefore its bad and i won't accept it", thank god im an anime only
Aug 19, 2019 3:28 AM
May 2017
Tougen said:
Lord_Dracule said:
Good episode, but imo probably the weakest one thus far. This is the first chapter from the manga, which doesn't include too much character exploration or plot progression, but I feel the visuals didn't compensate either. Not only was it the use of noticable CG, but I feel the artwork became a bit more flat this episode and color design was a bit uninspired. There were some creative shots tho.

Still a great episode, but I hope the visuals won't get worse from now on. A man can hope, right?

This wasnt an important episode at all, soo its safe to say they just didnt go over the top with it to save the budget for more important battles that will happen later.

I feel bad for the people that have a grudge with CG, they wont enjoy this show, and honestly the animation quality has been consistent and good i dont see this "huge drop in quality" that y'all been talking!! Compared to the CG we've been getting on this summer season, excluding Kimetsu of course, WIT is the best one
Aug 19, 2019 3:39 AM

Mar 2019
Tougen said:
Pig_on_the_knee said:

The humour dont leave the series when it becomes seinen, but there wont be much humour in the prologue arc(what the anime will cover),and the manga wasnt published as a shounen for too long, it switched right after thorfinn orin story flashback. Last week's episode was the first seinen chapter if i remenber correctly.

By "funny" I meant the dumb superhero stuff he does. As in people are dismissing the ridiculous stuff from this episode with "Oh, this is the shounen part", but the series has been like that from the beginning. Excuse me.
Pig_on_the_kneeAug 19, 2019 3:49 AM
Aug 19, 2019 3:42 AM

May 2014
So now we're where it should've started. Wish this had been the first episode, things would've been more interesting that way imo.
That guy in the red cloak looked like someone out of a Ghibli movie with his big mouth. Also nice Naruto run Throrfinn, you've trained well in the ninja arts i see.
Aug 19, 2019 3:59 AM

Jul 2016
Edylson said:
Rowan_F said:

That has nothing to do with anything, if the manga started in a chronological order people wouldn't complain, aside from the CG the animation has been good, this is the exact same thing that happened with Promised Neverland and Aot, Manga readers don't want adaptations, they want copy/paste!! Its the classic "this wasn't like in the manga, therefore its bad and i won't accept it", thank god im an anime only

I didn't mean that making changes in an adaptation is a bad thing. I actually agree with you in that I hate the attitude of "this wasn't like in the manga, therefore its bad and i won't accept it". I'm worried that the anime didn't change enough.

I'm an anime-only guy as well, so I've been getting all my info off what other people have already said in this thread. My biggest problem seems to come from the tone difference between the shounen part of the story and the seinen, leading to the anime staff not making the changes they probably should have that would've made the adaptation flow a lot better.
Aug 19, 2019 4:25 AM
Nov 2017
Teen Thorfinn is a babe <3
Amazing episode, and watching his assassination skills was so awesome and he's so edgy and I LOVE IT
Aug 19, 2019 4:54 AM

Sep 2017
Great episode as usual

Wit Studio CGI still bugs me a little sometimes but it's quite good and is, by far, the best this season (alongside with Mo Dao Zu Shi 2's)

I like how the anime used the same trick as vikings really did (carrying the ships over the land to reach another water spot) IRL in a battle against the Franks

The only con of this episode was the Frank leader, who was really annoying and felt totally out of place
Vinland Saga is a really serious anime so I don't like that much seeing a burlesque - comic relief in it, I hope it'll be the only one
Aug 19, 2019 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
People asking where Vinland Saga changed style, and for me is not when the publication goes to seinen magazine. The story change drasticaly after chapter 1, I think that the first chapter (that was adapted in this episode) was like a bait for shounen fans.

Animation quality is pretty consistent, but in some moments CGI seems weird (mainly when showing the soldiers from above). Probably they used more CGI because the art of the first manga chapter were more simple.
Aug 19, 2019 5:13 AM

Apr 2015
I think I prefer shallow fun Vinland Saga though.
Aug 19, 2019 5:19 AM

Mar 2015
Are the wars based on real wars? because I think I have read before about something like this. not sure which part though XD
Aug 19, 2019 5:20 AM

Jul 2016
deafnote said:
askeladd coming through on a flying ship is the coolest thing i've seen this decade
i swear, this episode seemed to last five minutes. that's the usual case though

i thought the action scenes were very stylish as well, but i get why there are some complaints
so far, this show has gotten so many things right that it's earned a few passes from me
counting down the seconds until next week's episode

I also loved the boat charge scene although I find it utterly ridiculous and completely bullshit.

Oh Anime, never change.
Aug 19, 2019 6:24 AM

Feb 2014
This episode had more of a shounen feel to it, but it still worked really well. There was plenty of moments that did make me laugh quite a bit, too. =)

Part of that laughter was down to the short French general, who looked like a human version of Jabba the Hut. Whenever he complained or laughed, he would open up his mouth so wide that you could stuff an entire human in there. XD

The other memorable moments was Askeladd's crew charging into battle.......while carrying their boats. They're so crazy, but I couldn't help but laugh and enjoy their crazy antics like that.

Thorfinn was a badass, though. Aside from his Naruto-style running early on in the episode, his battle style is already really lethal and he was ballsy enough to use his twin daggers on latch onto the enemy wall and climbed up them with no issues at all. What a mad lad!

The biggest laugh came when Askeladd's crew took all the treasure and when the french general complained, Askeladd's crew turned up to show their stolen treasure with some VERY smug grins. Then they high-tailed it down the river and the waterfall, full-on YOLO style that also had me laughing again. Even Askeladd was laughing and cheering like a kid through it all! ^_^

So, aside from some CG use being half good and half bad, this episode was great. It was a lot more amusing than I thought it would be, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next episode got back to being more serious again.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.