Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Carole & Tuesday
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 19, 2019 1:13 AM
Sep 2018
Boltz said:
Kinge said:
How does the opening look this good? Is there anything special happening animation-wise?

Probably just a hell of a lot of hand drawn animation. I have no idea how they made Tue's hair movement look so good though, it's crazy! Some motions almost look like they're rotoscoped, but they're too smooth.
the performances are rotoscoped.
Apr 19, 2019 1:22 AM

Oct 2008
wow! impressive! this is more than just a hidden gem!
netflix really know their stuff! although a lot still criticize them for various reason...y'know...
the uploaded video wasn't even viral and now they have a potential Manager! nice!
5/5!

Apr 19, 2019 1:47 AM

Aug 2017
Another great episode of Carole & Tuesday. I love the concept of AI music versus music made by humans. I think Carole and Tuesday gave a perfect live show at that city hall. That Roddy guy seems a bit strange though. I don't know, putting up their performance on social media without them knowing it was creepy. I guess Gus will sign them to his record label soon, although slamming their door like that was a bit too much.

After an amazing ED (it's so catchy that I can't get it out of my head) we now have a nice OP :) Also, the animation is so good! Can't wait for next Tuesday... eh Thursday! :)
Apr 19, 2019 1:52 AM
Nov 2018
matias067 said:
wow! impressive! this is more than just a hidden gem!
netflix really know their stuff! although a lot still criticize them for various reason...y'know...
the uploaded video wasn't even viral and now they have a potential Manager! nice!
5/5!

The uploaded video was pretty much viral, that's why almost everyone was watching it and the drunk guy didn't even had a phone as he saw the video in a stranger's phone.
Apr 19, 2019 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
damn this show has this "magical" feel to it, this and bokuben are definitely my favourite this season
Apr 19, 2019 5:37 AM

Jan 2019
It was a great comeback from the mediocre opening for me.
The opening is really lively and the song, especially Tuesday's voice, sounds melodious. The animation was great, and I hope they are able to keep the same quality for the rest of the series.
Apr 19, 2019 5:49 AM

Sep 2011
-Rogue said:

The animation was great, and I hope they are able to keep the same quality for the rest of the series.
Shinichiro watanabe + Studio bones, yeah I think thats probably gonna be the one thing that this show cant screw up, its gonna look beautiful the whole way through.

Especially when you consider this is Bones 20th Anniversary show, so they are putting extra care into this one as the celebration of their studio. Theres a good chance the production has already wrapped if anything so the ful 24 episodes could very well be done

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 19, 2019 7:08 AM

May 2017
yep this is the goat of the season fuck kimetsu fuck one punch man fuck everything else except attack on titan ofc but that didnt air yet.

We are only 2 episodes in but they've done such a great job at building this world. It really feels authentic.

Can you feel my.. can you feel my.. This song is soooooo good.

The story is a little cliche to be honest. They "break" into the hall to play their song on a real piano and coincidentally get recorded doing so and of course the video goes viral in a second. But I don't care to be honest, the characters are amazing, the world is awesome and the music is beautiful.

only issue I have......... CGI guitar WHYYYY... its bothering me. it looks so unnatural in her hands.
Apr 19, 2019 7:30 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode! Normally I don't like music animes, but this one is certainly an exception. The opening looks AMAZING and I like the music as well :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2019 8:49 AM

Oct 2015
I just dislike how obvious that the characters VA changes are as they sing! I can't just seem to stop noticing it
Apr 19, 2019 10:05 AM
Jan 2015
EGOIST said:
I just dislike how obvious that the characters VA changes are as they sing! I can't just seem to stop noticing it

I don't know why people are so upset about this. Maybe because they sing in a English instead of Japanese. Lots of singers talking voices sound nothing like their singing voices, yet you don't hear people complaining about that. As for Celeina Ann, Tuesday's singer, her native language actually appears to be Japanese as she was born and lives in Tokyo. If you watch the "Carole & Tuesday Story of a Miracle" videos, you can see that Ann is as fluent in Japanese as the VAs. I doubt very much that she would consider herself anything other than Japanese seeing that her own website is in Japanese. If she were singing in Japanese, you probably wouldn't even realize she was a different person from the VA.
Apr 19, 2019 10:14 AM

Oct 2015
FredFriendly said:
EGOIST said:

I don't know why people are so upset about this. Maybe because they sing in a English instead of Japanese. Lots of singers talking voices sound nothing like their singing voices, yet you don't hear people complaining about that. As for Celeina Ann, Tuesday's singer, her native language actually appears to be Japanese as she was born and lives in Tokyo. If you watch the "Carole & Tuesday Story of a Miracle" videos, you can see that Ann is as fluent in Japanese as the VAs. I doubt very much that she would consider herself anything other than Japanese seeing that her own website is in Japanese. If she were singing in Japanese, you probably wouldn't even realize she was a different person from the VA.
I already know the background of the singers and that's really not the problem here. I'm just not a big fan of the tonal shift. It's more of a nitpick on my part, it really doesn't affect the overall viewing experience.
Apr 19, 2019 10:47 AM

Jul 2015
i hope that carole and tuesday fall in love with each other <3
Apr 19, 2019 11:11 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode.

That funeral scene was funny.

Apr 19, 2019 12:30 PM

Dec 2015
What a great opening (visually), this series of "paintings" was.
That was enough to make me believe the episode was better than the previous one while I was watching it. And to make me eat the "because it's scifi" vocalize scene without a tinkling.

Like someone said:
For now, this series makes an easy watching, but I couldn't care less (not talking about the characters like MALers, but the series). I am watching because:
- it's Watanabe,
- it's well animated,
- it's rather solid,
- it's pleasant to follow.
But I'm not watching because I'm interested

Since there doesn't seem to be any particular idea behind this show. It just "is", it's a "product".
Also, another reason why I am on it: it's a full-length original show, and that's already something !

3.5+/5 Still perfect though.

@Boltz I'm under the assumption you were fooled by Watanabe in believing Bebop was about Spike's "feud" with Vicious.
I hope for you C&T won't follow the typical build or Bebop disorganized one.

@LiedElfen My God, thank you. It's just an abusive way to name the typical "one-off" episodes in full length series, where the focus is put on a character or an aspect of the world (although it's rarer) during a "mission" that will end with the episode. You know, most episodes of the nº3or 4 to 12 in a 26 eps long TV series. (sometimes
It's even weirder to use this for Bebop who lacks a structure and is almost entirely episodic except for the "Spike background intrigue" episodes.
Rei_IIIApr 19, 2019 12:57 PM
Apr 19, 2019 12:55 PM

Dec 2014
well nice this anime is so love.... such pleasant feelings after seeing this
Apr 19, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2015
Safe to say I love this show... And I love and adore their song. It’s really beautiful.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Apr 19, 2019 3:34 PM
Nov 2013
Safe to say that this episode was one of the best I've ever seen in any anime. It was so well made (small annoying CGI npcs here and there but aside that just wow). Countless visual angles, amazingly well fitting soundtracks, the camera moving after the cast, EVEN THE STILL IMAGES WEREN'T STILL but were hovering slowly and the fast cutting. I saw that they were saving some money here and there but they did it so smart and it never looked bad.

If this keeps up, this is AOTY
Apr 19, 2019 4:15 PM

Jan 2011
JizzyHitler said:
katsu044 said:

decent episode nothing mind blowing has happened yet but it's been a good ride so far bit fast but good feeling this might only be 12 eps
Its hard confirmed to be 24 episodes, supposedly the first half is them rising to fame and the 2nd half is post success, but i dont recall where I read that so take it with a grain of salt but ive seen others mention this too. That kind of explains the fast almost rushed pacing.
interesting well can't complain with that if true , feel like there's a lot of drama they can do with a duo dealing with the stress of fame not only that but being thrown right into it instead of growing up around that lifestyle like the one artist they've shown.
Apr 19, 2019 5:58 PM
Jan 2019
Everything is great. The only thing I would change is they got 2m likes in just a day. They already archived something they should have in at least 4-5 episodes.
Apr 19, 2019 7:19 PM
Feb 2019
Im in love with this anime already
Apr 19, 2019 9:15 PM
Mar 2015
Nice song Zero followers
Apr 20, 2019 7:01 AM

Jun 2012
AOTS for me (so far). Absolutely beautiful and I love the music references. Gibson picks in Carole's eyes, etc.
Apr 20, 2019 10:43 AM
Nov 2016
One thing that got me frown is unnatural facial expression in some parts, besides the animation, coloring, world, and music for sure. C&T is worth watching show of the season. But i can put that aside since the music so ear catchy whether OP, ED and BGM.
Apr 20, 2019 11:56 AM

Apr 2014
Mythologically said:
Don't think I've cringed this much since those two volumes of Watamote I read a couple of weeks ago.

Why is that if you don't mind me asking?
Apr 20, 2019 1:05 PM
Nov 2018
Mythologically said:
MiiyoSon said:

I find the characters, so far, to be unrelatable walking stereotypes, so the whole drama aspect with the song at the end induced nothing but cringe. I just don't see why the show is trying to make me feel emotional when I've known these characters for like 30 minutes. The whole thing with the song randomly going viral in a day just added on to this.

I don't see why one think that the show is "trying to make me feel emotional" when the characters are just playing a song, one thing is that one could not like feeling emotional but another thing entirely is saying that "the show is trying" to make one feel that way when the characters only played a song. I mean if the song is emotional it is emotional but that doesn't mean that the show is trying to make one feel emotional.
Apr 20, 2019 1:34 PM
Oct 2012
Mythologically said:
LiedElfen said:
I mean if the song is emotional it is emotional but that doesn't mean that the show is trying to make one feel emotional.

Wym lol. An emotional song took up like a sixth of the episode after the whole episode built up to it. This is also a drama show. What other purpose can it possibly have besides for trying to make the viewer feel emotional?

The show is a drama but find it hard to establish anything noteworthy in two episodes with two strangers living together. The song wouldn't be emotional. Something emotional that would be a great comparison was Angel beats when the woman played on the acoustic guitar before she vanished and moved on. That's emotional.

If anything, the sight of Carol reliving her orphanage days is more emotional than the song. It was a fun moment for those two, not an emotional

Also, we don't know how accessible social media is in mars in their timeline, or how many followers the assistant engineer has. Not to mention that if everyone is used to music done without a human soul as noted earlier in the episode, what if this is the first time in years music with soul was made and it is exactly why it went viral?
Apr 20, 2019 1:41 PM
Nov 2018
BRK25 said:
Mythologically said:

Wym lol. An emotional song took up like a sixth of the episode after the whole episode built up to it. This is also a drama show. What other purpose can it possibly have besides for trying to make the viewer feel emotional?

The show is a drama but find it hard to establish anything noteworthy in two episodes with two strangers living together. The song wouldn't be emotional. Something emotional that would be a great comparison was Angel beats when the woman played on the acoustic guitar before she vanished and moved on. That's emotional.

If anything, the sight of Carol reliving her orphanage days is more emotional than the song. It was a fun moment for those two, not an emotional

Also, we don't know how accessible social media is in mars in their timeline, or how many followers the assistant engineer has. Not to mention that if everyone is used to music done without a human soul as noted earlier in the episode, what if this is the first time in years music with soul was made and it is exactly why it went viral?

I think that the song will be truly emotional when it is played in the last episode the moment Carole and Tuesday change the world.
Apr 20, 2019 1:56 PM
Oct 2012
I am an old man so something like this wouldn't make me cry, but even more so, there was nothing building up to this where it was emotional or anything prior or after the song that was a result of their performance. The song itself might be emotional but had no lingering. That's why why I was smiling ear to ear and not sobbing

Also, is that a plot contrivance for an engineer of supposedly a dj star known around the world presumably? I am working with what was shown and given . Add that to a different world where social media has several billion users sounds reasonable. You made a point to note the likes made you cringe but then say you dont care. I'm trying to just understand what you are going for.

If you want to dismiss it, feel free but to ignore the landscape of mars and how likely advanced and ahead their world is compared to ours is just backing out the argument with a middle finger in my opinion.
Apr 20, 2019 2:12 PM

Apr 2014
Mythologically said:
MiiyoSon said:

I find the characters, so far, to be unrelatable walking stereotypes, so the whole drama aspect with the song at the end induced nothing but cringe. I just don't see why the show is trying to make me feel emotional when I've known these characters for like 30 minutes. The whole thing with the song randomly going viral in a day just added on to this.

I didn't read the scene as trying to make you feel something just yet. In terms of how the song was used, I think it was more highlighting how much Carole and Tuesday enjoyed each other's company right now. It's not meant to be a "carthartic" moment yet (although I guess if you're not feeling the characters in the first place then it is what it is)

I do kind of agree with you about the viral part. It did seem weird that the video of them playing their song picked up steam THAT quickly but then again I think about how videos go viral today and it doesn't that far-fetched you know.
Apr 20, 2019 2:47 PM

Sep 2018
I like ed/op pretty much even though some scenes feel a bit overexaggerated it could be one of the best shows this Season
It feels a bit like Sora yori mo Tooi Basho because you know girl main cast,original anime,very good animated and it uses the modern media to some extend.
I also have the hope this could be a shoujo ai because so far as i know there are not many Shoujo Ai original shows,its not tagged but so far we got no male love interst so yea maybe just maybe

I so far didnt get emotional but we have to see, we got 22 episodes to go.
-Mullerio-Apr 20, 2019 2:52 PM
Apr 20, 2019 5:06 PM

Apr 2009
Mamo's voice is just too recognizable lol. I was a bit sceptical of how he would pull off a voice acting for an ossan chara. The first few sentences when his chara appeared sounded just like Mamo trying, it was a bit hard for me to buy it as a voice for a middle-age guy. But after that he did quite well. And Miyu's chara appeared as well, though a bit creepy-otaku I like him (Funny, Miyu is also voicing a chara older than himself for the first time in another anime.) Tuesday's VA sounds so much like Hanazawa Kana to me.

The first episode didn't really impress me storywise and I couldn't tell whether I liked the girls or not but I liked the world building, the animation and music. The second episode is much better, and I also like the pace, not too fast and not too slow, though them going viral was a bit cliched. Still, I think this may be one of the better anime this season.
shiroi-ookamiApr 20, 2019 5:13 PM
Apr 20, 2019 5:44 PM
Apr 2019
Mythologically said:
BRK25 said:
I am an old man so something like this wouldn't make me cry, but even more so, there was nothing building up to this where it was emotional or anything prior or after the song that was a result of their performance. The song itself might be emotional but had no lingering. That's why why I was smiling ear to ear and not sobbing

Also, is that a plot contrivance for an engineer of supposedly a dj star known around the world presumably? I am working with what was shown and given . Add that to a different world where social media has several billion users sounds reasonable. You made a point to note the likes made you cringe but then say you dont care. I'm trying to just understand what you are going for.

If you want to dismiss it, feel free but to ignore the landscape of mars and how likely advanced and ahead their world is compared to ours is just backing out the argument with a middle finger in my opinion.

Now you're just reaching for bullshit lol. I don't care about the process as to how it got viral. The fact that the guy who is randomly recording their show is supposedly famous is a plot convenience, not a contrivance. Those are different things. I find the fact that something this convenient for the plot just randomly happened annoying. I don't care about the process of how it became viral, I care about the end result, and I find the end result cringy. There is nothing logically wrong with that.

How advanced their world is doesn't matter. We are literally presented with a slideshow of everyone and their mother watching their performance. Are you implying that the advanced technology on Mars allows any video to become viral? I'm extremely confused as to how you're linking "advanced Martian technology" to "video randomly has 2 million views in a day". Is every video that's ever uploaded to the in-universe version of YouTube getting 2 million views in a day? Like I'm just extremely confused here. To further expand on this, the real YouTube currently has about 1.9 billion users that are active monthly. I don't really see that many random videos getting 2 million views in a day. It's unrealistic.

Your previous point of "maybe it's because the music was composed by a human and not an AI" doesn't make sense to me either. How would the people watching the video know this? Why would they care?

Anyway, this whole discussion is pointless because this is an irrelevant plot point. The other part of the discussion, the emotionality of the song, is completely subjective, so there's not much point to discussing that either. Neither of those is even my main problem with the show. I'm mainly disliking it so far because Tuesday is the epitome of a generic sheltered girl, and Carole is a complete Mary Sue.

How would you characterize them if you were the writer?
Apr 20, 2019 5:49 PM
Jan 2015
Mythologically said:
...I don't really see that many random videos getting 2 million views in a day. It's unrealistic....

I would suggest that you might wanna think "outside the box." You're comparing today with a future that we can only imagine. Also, I should note that, according to Wikipedia's "List of most-viewed online videos in the first 24 hours", there have been at least 20 videos that hit the 20+ million mark in the first 24 hours, but more impressive, there are at least 4 movie trailers that hit the 200+ million mark in the first 24 hours. So it really ain't that unrealistic.
Apr 21, 2019 12:40 AM

Jun 2013
Miyano Mamoru is perfect for that arrogant DJ.

Finally,their song has song lyrics. I cannot wait until we hear Angela's songs. Her singing voice actress is also very talented.

The animation, voice acting and everything else was beautiful, as expected of Studio Bones.
臭い-
Apr 21, 2019 1:16 AM
Oct 2012
Mythologically said:
BRK25 said:

Now you're just reaching for bullshit lol. I don't care about the process as to how it got viral. The fact that the guy who is randomly recording their show is supposedly famous is a plot convenience, not a contrivance. Those are different things. I find the fact that something this convenient for the plot just randomly happened annoying. I don't care about the process of how it became viral, I care about the end result, and I find the end result cringy. There is nothing logically wrong with that.

How advanced their world is doesn't matter. We are literally presented with a slideshow of everyone and their mother watching their performance. Are you implying that the advanced technology on Mars allows any video to become viral? I'm extremely confused as to how you're linking "advanced Martian technology" to "video randomly has 2 million views in a day". Is every video that's ever uploaded to the in-universe version of YouTube getting 2 million views in a day? Like I'm just extremely confused here. To further expand on this, the real YouTube currently has about 1.9 billion users that are active monthly. I don't really see that many random videos getting 2 million views in a day. It's unrealistic.

Your previous point of "maybe it's because the music was composed by a human and not an AI" doesn't make sense to me either. How would the people watching the video know this? Why would they care?

Anyway, this whole discussion is pointless because this is an irrelevant plot point. The other part of the discussion, the emotionality of the song, is completely subjective, so there's not much point to discussing that either. Neither of those is even my main problem with the show. I'm mainly disliking it so far because Tuesday is the epitome of a generic sheltered girl, and Carole is a complete Mary Sue.

Finally home to dissect this,

So, if I had a million followers who actively update their feed when I'm posting something, how does that not get passed or at least seen by the world? Not saying it would spread but definitely watched at 50k to 100k in a day at some point. Keep this in mind. Frankly, we can complain about the amount of likes and is why this bugs you since you also brought the numbers into question, but my view was we have no clue what Mars is like and if social media can make us connect faster and things spread much more rapid than we can fathom here. I can be reaching, but we only have the world around us to compare, and their world is 40 years ahead of ours. That's why I am making it a big deal. I'm even noticing today that for little jokes and mundane things on twitter is getting 100k likes. The idea of that happening was impossible a few years ago but the user base is growing rapidly where it's normal now. 40 years later with the same social media app and with an ever growing population of the world and potentially Mars too hints that 2 million is just the norm if we were to follow this pattern. That's not unrealistic, that's just thinking logically what will happen as it grows. We make a big deal because it is immersion breaking for us but not for them.

Now, you can call the end result that they have 2 million likes in one day cringey, sure, but I'm a guy that wants to get to the bottom of how things got to that point. I can at least say, hm, maybe this is passable or understandable, but I still have to give a decent amount of doubt and what ifs for things to click. But if this was the goal to get the manager's attention, it did its job. The little specifics is what sparked this argument in the first place. We only saw what Alba city was vibing to. Maybe if the whole Mars world from Antartica equivalent to Africa equivalent was watching, that's a humongous space jam reach, but this looks self-contained in the city. And the city appears to be lively and have enough districts to believe more than a million or so people live in the city. Everything hasn't shattered my suspension of disbelief yet.

There doesn't seem to be a core following for artists as much as AI controlling the music or hand making everything. That was a plot point raised in the middle of the episode and was apparently worth noting the difference of humans and AI. We don't know what the music is exactly like in their time, we have 22 episodes to figure that out. Personally, if I'm used to listening to a genre, only to find someone came with a different flavor in the same genre and made it worked, they would stand out from the other artists doing the same thing. A missing element if you will.

Now the problem changed from the likes, the emotional part of the song that I still say wasn't even impactful because nothing happened before or after like angel Beats music was to now the characters? Was Kirito from SAO a Mary Sue two episodes in? No, it took at least the halfway point before there was enough evidence. We're on episode 2 out of 24. That's a HUGE assumption to have. Carole barely looks like she has the answer to everything and is doing things without taking into account of the consequence. Tuesday does fit the bill of generic sheltered girl, and maybe that will change as she explores the world, or not since this is Watanabe. To use buzz words like that with very little evidence currently is you screaming to dislike the show to everyone just to dislike it. And it's fine to dislike it, but I'm unsure of the exact reason why and is why I'm confused after writing all that out I'm not sure how this was cringey on a small detail like that.

Your dismissive tone elsewhere in the thread from people chiming in or asking questions isn't helping my point either.

TheUnknownKnown said:

How would you characterize them if you were the writer?

Personally, maybe since Tuesday has such a over the head look at music, she can be good at free-styling and coming up with things as they happen. Yet, Carole to me would be the one who's planning and putting their collaborations together musically. Maybe the two not sing in the first episode to a perfect duet would be good, but something from scratch, something that gets practice and worked on, in a little montage to hint what will be sung in this episode would have made people chime in and see the fruits of their collab. It shows that Carole has a natural gift of a producer/composer for making music while Tuesday relies on her vocals and songwriting so the two fit perfectly. This isn't to say either one are lacking, but they compliment each other perfectly and show who's more free-flowing and one who's actively thinking.

The characters are fine for now since their demeanor and way they interact with the world is more telling about their personality than what's going on with the plot. Watanabe works always emphasized this. We know Spike was care-free and never really showed things got to him unless it involved his past and his demeanor would change when it's brought up. If anything, he's a rather boring and bland character with the backstory, but the way he speaks and plays with the villains and the victims in the world is endearing and show he has several sides to him depending on the situation. Just my take.
Apr 21, 2019 2:57 AM
Oct 2018
At some point ya gotta wonder how much Bones is trying to flex with that animation for an otherwise tame/SOL series
Apr 21, 2019 3:17 AM
Oct 2018
You know it's pretty interesting to think that it actually isn't that hard to actually find someone irl nowadays.

On one hand the guy was genuinely surprised that it took like 10 seconds but I'm pretty sure if someone didn't bother with "privacy" in social media you could probably get the same results. But uhh. God damn that guy was hella quick lmfao.
Apr 21, 2019 5:42 AM

Jun 2016
I had problems with the first episode but this one I just absolutely loved the entirety of. This series gives me Planetes vibes in the simple, story with a moral, disney-esque fashion it's told. It's sweet and endearing and fun!!!! And you know, both are SOL, sci-fi stories that are focused on a future career.

So Carole isn't a cryer, when confronted she always fights back and I take it she's not good at following orders and taking customer abuse so she's always getting fired. That's cute since we've seen what a giant baby Tuesday is already, her crying quite easily! Carole doesn't have parents, she's a refugee I presume from earth to Mars and she seems alone out here, she does everything herself. It's good she can have the storage room or wherever it is that she is! Meanwhile Tuesday is a rich girl running away from her aspiring-to-be-a-president mom and she has no clue how to do things on her own. To be more archetypical Carole is a tomboy and Tuesday is a girly girl, even in some of their interests. But their love of music brings them together and they have some great chemistry together!

Tao showed us what I think the idea behind this story is, or at least a major one, and that is that 99% of modern hits are AI based pattern recognition and Mr. Tao and Angela are fighting against the notion that human written music can be special and 'warm'. Gus presumably started drinking his life away because 'real' music died and he's inspired to get these girls to the top now that he's heard them! And the girls will touch the hearts of many with their music in this supposedly warmth-less world! Or that's what I can assume will be a major idea with how explicitly Tao stated it! Hehe.

As for Tao and Gus, I love them both. I love how Tao is a weird, introverted sociopath and no matter how Angela picks on him he just owns it!
  • "Do you like enjoy being a loner?"
  • "Anything wrong with that?"
and
  • "Are you sure you aren't AI?!?!"
  • "I get that a lot." evil smirk
As for Gus, I found him pretty adorable after I heard him tell the neighboring people to shut up and it hit me that it's because his voice actor is Blackbeard's from One Piece and I love his voice so so so so so much.

Gosh! So much to say this episode... Lastly, I found the sequence where the girls told each other what they like before going to sleep after a bad day so adorable. I'm totally going to do that now on. Yo hoho ho!
Apr 21, 2019 6:29 AM

Feb 2014
I'm liking this anime. And the music is good too.
Apr 21, 2019 9:17 AM
Oct 2012
Mythologically said:

So overall, what we've established here, is that once again the bullshit makes sense because of a combination of the Sci-Fi element and a plot convenience. Also, as I stated before, the guy that is randomly recording them being famous is a plot convenience. That's my biggest issue here.

I also don't see why it matters how fast something spreads; we are given a slideshow of literally every human being ever watching their video. Do they also have infinite time to watch videos with? Clearly, this video is much more viral than nearly any other, which is why the technology argument doesn't make sense to me whatsoever. Roddy being famous makes sense, though. Roddy being famous is a plot convenience, and is annoying.

And you're right! It is early to judge a show. That's why I said so far. So far, the characters have shown me nothing interesting. If they actually develop into something other than blank slate stereotypes, I'll enjoy the show! That's why this is a discussion for episode 2. It's a place to give your opinions on the show through episode 2.

It's amazing that you can get defensive enough to take the attitude of "I liked it, how could you possibly dislike it, you have no evidence !!". Tuesday is a generic sheltered girl whose whole character so far is that she can't take care of herself but wants to pursue an interest that her family seemingly won't allow (I'm assuming that's the reason she ran away). Carole is a literal Mary Sue. Someone fucks with her at her burger joint job? She epicly annihilates those libtards Ben Shapiro style. Some random kid grabs an apple from a fruit stand? Agent of Justice Carole is here to save the day! Does she have to fake cry for a part-time job? She's too amazing to degrade herself like that. Not only that, but she's perfectly capable of performing any possible household duty, is extremely street-smart, and just takes Tuesday into her home after barely knowing her. Once again, so far, I have absolutely nothing interesting to work with.

Also, my "dismissive tone" has only been directed at people intelligent enough to respond to a sentence such as "I don't really see that many random videos getting 2 million views in a day" by citing movie trailers and fucking BTS songs. I tend to be very confrontational, but I feel that I gave the guy that originally responded to me a fairly respectful answer; that overall conversation was easily the best one I had in this thread. I also had a decent, respectful conversation with a guy who commented about this topic on my profile. You'll notice that neither of them tried to stuff complete bullshit down my throat, like "wym unrealistic haha movie trailer 4Head" or "haha how would you write the characters yourself lol".

How can something spreading is bullshit? If me saying that the world is 40 years later into the future where the population naturally is increasing and we go from 7 billion to potentially 10 billion at that point, it's easy to understand why there's so much likes. That's 3000 million more individuals to peruse the internet than what we have at this moment. I'm trying to point out how such a thing is possible, combined with the engineer with the superstar, but you are calling it bs. And literally every human being ever watching would take the whole 2 cour to digest because that's not what happened. We only saw if I recall 8 different slides of people on the city watching and growing curious to hint it's catching on fire. Again, we have no clue what the music in this world is playing and if this is strangely unique to catch fire. Also, if Roddy wasn't famous, then I guess we wouldn't have that manager know to speed dial him off the bat. I'm just following what's presented cause Watanabe dislikes doing exposition by telling and prefer to show it visually and make us connect the dots.

I didn't know a show needed to have vast character development within two episodes when there are other characters being introduced and taking time out of Carole and Tuesday. I can't comprehend that when a show has 24 episodes to flesh out someone and apparently you expect a fully realized character by 2 episodes in. The sheer ridiculousness of it is the level of IGN saying there's too much water in the review for Pokemon Omega Ruby and Sapphire. Adding that they are teens/young adult, they will likely change as the story go as from my anime catalogue history, if they were older, they get stuck in their ways and we understand how they got there. Ala, Bebop or they grow as they meet people and play music and understands themselves better. Ala Sakamichi no apollon style.

You hit the nose on Tuesday, cause that's exactly what we are shown. I don't know why political terms are being used or referring Ben Shapiro but okay. Carole wasn't afraid to get fired to stand up for herself because she has dignity. Are you going to conveniently forget they weren't just pissing her off but openly harassing her in the public as if it is a red-light district? The fact she lives in the lower part of the city and likely knows everyone down there, like a small community? I've been in similar places and everyone knows each other and they look out for one another from my experience but we can call that bs too if you like. Crying at a part-time job and needing to use her family's death as a triggering moment? When she doesn't remember her parents ever and we see that she's in an orphanage? It's not that she can't cry, but she doesn't have that moment to make her cry on the spot. She likely had no chance to just enjoy her life and kept her emotions in check. To say she's too amazing to do that is trying to change what the anime has showed to fit your narrative and I can't accept that at all.

If Carole lived in an orphanage, they likely had her do cleaning duties in the meanwhile and try to be a role model so she can get adopted. Problem is, she likely never got adopted due to her uppity attitude and had to live on the streets and survive on her own. I wonder living in the slums of alba city as a young kid makes you do to survive. That's where the street smarts kick in, that's where the household duty kicks in because she has to clean up for herself. Any comment I would have for tuesday being accepted in would be more of a reach of character without evidence or context and this is my main problem with your arguments here.

I'm "defensive" because from my perspective, nothing is too out of the ordinary for Carole and Tuesday, even more so on a Watanabe directed show. Sure, there are nitpicks here and there in my opinion but the criticisms I'm hearing from you at this point is like being mad that the burger has a beef patty in it. I explain what the burger is and why it has it and you proceed to call it a bs reason. The tone and overall comments scream you are looking for a reaction and proceed to just not engage in the questions and actually belittle them. You apparently know enough to call a character a Mary sue but conveniently ignore the question on how you would write the character by saying tongue in cheek that you don't make money writing an anime. None of us here does, but we can still understand the process and you are ducking that. Ducking the chance to show us how you would fix the show and allow us to see your insight on what you like in an anime.If anything, it's more telling of your character than anything.

It's cool to get confrontational, but I can get confrontational AND use logic to get there. if you want to be edgy and complain, feel free, but I'm just looking for some answers and I only got more questions out of you and frankly, I'm tired of speaking to a brick wall not giving me anything new when I throw something at it.
Apr 21, 2019 9:20 AM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
Mythologically said:
MiiyoSon said:

While I don't like the word cringe used like this, I agree with the notion. It's a nice looking show, but so far it feels fairly generic.
All details that all just emphasize how special the two main girls are and how perfect of a match they are are almost getting a little obnoxious.
We don't see them putting any effort into training and improving their skills or them getting to work on a partnership with ups and lows - other than the scene in episode one when they were "tuning" to match the other, that was really cute - and see them acquire not just a million views, but a million likes. Within that short time seems way to unreasonable.
I mean, I'm aware this show isn't aiming at an Underdogs-working-their-way-up-with-talent-and-passion-trope many music shows like this follow, the first episode was pretty explicit about that, but it still feels unearned.
And it feels frustrating in a season with a show like Sarazanmai, a show that really feels fresh and engaging, if a lot less comprehensible, yet this is where everyone's eyes are.
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 21, 2019 10:15 AM
Oct 2012
Natsuaki said:
Mythologically said:

While I don't like the word cringe used like this, I agree with the notion. It's a nice looking show, but so far it feels fairly generic.
All details that all just emphasize how special the two main girls are and how perfect of a match they are are almost getting a little obnoxious.
We don't see them putting any effort into training and improving their skills or them getting to work on a partnership with ups and lows - other than the scene in episode one when they were "tuning" to match the other, that was really cute - and see them acquire not just a million views, but a million likes. Within that short time seems way to unreasonable.
I mean, I'm aware this show isn't aiming at an Underdogs-working-their-way-up-with-talent-and-passion-trope many music shows like this follow, the first episode was pretty explicit about that, but it still feels unearned.
And it feels frustrating in a season with a show like Sarazanmai, a show that really feels fresh and engaging, if a lot less comprehensible, yet this is where everyone's eyes are.

And on that note, I completely understand this, and honestly agree. Watanabe has always been a guy who focused on style over substance and a huge focus on music that sometimes, the characters take a back seat. The world is vibrant, the music is varied, and there's 22 episode to go, but I doubt these characters are going to stick in our heads until episode 7 or 8 when they start performing and doing some ups and downs, practice writing lyrics and working on the melody will help create a moment.

Honestly, the real complaint I had was I never really remembered the characters Watanabe makes or get involved, just the moment and emotional experience of said characters involved. Can consider that a flaw I witness every time he makes a show, so would need a strong script writer to combat that. I would hope Watanabe breaks the trend, but I'm not going to be mad if he doesn't. Just disappointed.
Apr 21, 2019 11:02 AM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
BRK25 said:
Natsuaki said:

And on that note, I completely understand this, and honestly agree. Watanabe has always been a guy who focused on style over substance and a huge focus on music that sometimes, the characters take a back seat. The world is vibrant, the music is varied, and there's 22 episode to go, but I doubt these characters are going to stick in our heads until episode 7 or 8 when they start performing and doing some ups and downs, practice writing lyrics and working on the melody will help create a moment.

Generally I'm not opposed to style over substance shows, I really enjoyed Space Dandy and absolutely loved Cowboy Bebop. But there has to be something I can gravitate towards. And in this case, neither this idea of the future neither the characters really do that for me.
I like the music, just not quite enough for it to cause an emotional response.
I have to ask though if you happen to know; What exactly was his involvement regarding the characters in Bebop? That show has one of the most charming recognizable casts in the history of Anime.
It's interesting too because going through his MAL page, I've had that exact problem with some other shows he was involved in, like Michiko to Hatchin and Zankyou no Terror.
Both shows I think have strong presentation and style but really weak characters and in Zankyou's case kind of a messy script as well.

Edit: didn't mean to imply Bebop had little substance, far from it. But it also has a ton of style.
NatsuakiApr 21, 2019 11:14 AM
There is nothing terribly wrong with feeling lost, so long as that feeling precedes some plan on your part to actually do something about it. Too often a person grows complacent with their disillusionment, wearing their discomfort like a favorite shirt - Johnny C.

Apr 21, 2019 11:10 AM
Oct 2012
Mythologically said:
@BRK25

Can you stop ignoring the fact that Roddy physically manifesting himself in the music hall is not in any way explained by your stupid shit about social media and technology? Thanks. Once again, you've ignored this, what, 4 times now? My problem is that he physically exists in the music hall at the same time that they are performing.

If Mary Sue does not fit the exact definition, how about paragon of virtue? Is that better? Her getting fired from every job is not a flaw. She literally chooses to get fired from them, as in the previous burger example where she decides that being an epic gamer is more important than keeping her job.

When I made my one sentence post about finding the show cringy, I had no other purpose other than what the fucking thread is for: sharing your opinion of the show. I didn't come here to have an argument, neither did I come here to explain why I dislike the show. I also didn't come here to "offer insight on what I would like in an anime". If I wanted to do that, I'd wait for episode 6 and write a review like a normal human. That's why reviews exist. You seem to have completely missed the whole purpose of my single sentence that I typed in 3 seconds that somehow started all of this.

Also, no. I can identify that a character is a literal stereotype without having to be able to write a good character. Simple.

First, it was the result of them being famous, then the likes, then that he was there at the same time. Is it me changing that fact or you trying to save face 4 different times to win an argument. And you have yet to stop attacking me as a user and not the topic which I find hilarious.

So, he's there as a engineer, again, doing the acoustics and ensuring when the music plays, it plays right throughout. That's the reason he exists. Was there something I miss that showed him working on the machine a deleted scene or something. That wasn't what I argued about.The hall was already occupied and they forced themselves in when activities were happening.

It would be a flaw if said gamer is not a good gamer and has such hubris to believe they cam become an overnight sensation. Never did they note they would quit and be full time musicians. She has pride but will find work and make music on the side in the hopes she breaks through. That's understandable and respectable. But her actions being unfiltered and sometimes not conscious of the consequence will likely bite her at some point.

If you are in a discussion thread, this a thread to discuss and give some thoughts. If your thoughts are going to be one liners, that's cool, but if I want you to expand, then what's the harm? Is writing out paragraphs difficult? In a discussion thread, this is to happen. There should be a first impression thread where you would be better off.

And if you can identify a stereotype of a character, then that means you have watched enough shows to spot the trope. Which means you know what's a good one or a bad trope. Problem is is those characters weren't in 3 episode series, they were in 12 to 24 episode season. A writer is no different than you or I, other than needing to be sure the audience relate or understand these characters quickly. If you know these characters are bad, who are characters in 2 episode that are good? How do you spot them?

I must also thank you for ignoring my other points and changing things to oh so desperately be right. Please go ahead and go on another rant where you will demean my character, I'll wait.

:)
Apr 21, 2019 11:54 AM
Oct 2012
Natsuaki said:
BRK25 said:

Generally I'm not opposed to style over substance shows, I really enjoyed Space Dandy and absolutely loved Cowboy Bebop. But there has to be something I can gravitate towards. And in this case, neither this idea of the future neither the characters really do that for me.
I have to ask though if you happen to know; What exactly was his involvement regarding the characters in Bebop? That show has one of the most charming recognizable casts in the history of Anime.
It's interesting too because going through his MAL page, I've had that exact problem with some other shows he was involved in, like Michiko to Hatchin and Zankyou no Terror.
Both shows I think have strong presentation and style but really weak characters and in Zankyou's case kind of a messy script as well.

Edit: didn't mean to imply Bebop had little substance, far from it. But it also has a ton of style.

To me, Watanabe is a fantastic director and knows how to make scenes have impact. I haven't watched Michiko despite knowing he worked on it, but did love Zankyou no Terror. I'll be honest, those characters were pretty shit and had little going for them, but the scenes they were involved in alongside the music still holds dear to my heart and something I'll get nostalgic listening to. And this is the problem I have with him sometimes.

Watanabe had Bebop and while he was working on these thoughts and scenes and cool moments, he was reigned in by Keiko Nobumoto who was considered the head of the script at the time. There are other screenwriters, notably Sadayuki Murai who worked on Perfect Blue's script. I can never be disappointed by the spectacle but if it wasn't for these writers going to work, and bringing Watanabe the idea of these characters problems or history, I doubt it would be as memorable. I'm sure those characters are in his head, but someone else came to fill int he gap from said cool moments.

Luckily, it seems the other director in this worked on Beck and the other writer happens to be heavily involved in drama screenwriting for live-action. There's a lot of evidence here to hint this won't be a disaster like Zankyou, but again, who knows what Watanabe will do for the sake of cool.
Apr 21, 2019 1:02 PM
Treasure Hunter

Feb 2014
BRK25 said:
Natsuaki said:

To me, Watanabe is a fantastic director and knows how to make scenes have impact. I haven't watched Michiko despite knowing he worked on it, but did love Zankyou no Terror. I'll be honest, those characters were pretty shit and had little going for them, but the scenes they were involved in alongside the music still holds dear to my heart and something I'll get nostalgic listening to. And this is the problem I have with him sometimes.

Watanabe had Bebop and while he was working on these thoughts and scenes and cool moments, he was reigned in by Keiko Nobumoto who was considered the head of the script at the time. There are other screenwriters, notably Sadayuki Murai who worked on Perfect Blue's script. I can never be disappointed by the spectacle but if it wasn't for these writers going to work, and bringing Watanabe the idea of these characters problems or history, I doubt it would be as memorable. I'm sure those characters are in his head, but someone else came to fill int he gap from said cool moments.

Luckily, it seems the other director in this worked on Beck and the other writer happens to be heavily involved in drama screenwriting for live-action. There's a lot of evidence here to hint this won't be a disaster like Zankyou, but again, who knows what Watanabe will do for the sake of cool.

What I really liked about Zankyou no Terror was the atmosphere and mood along with a few really strong moments. I agree that the music was fantastic as well.
It's just where it ultimately went with the story and what it did with its characters to get there after a particularly strong and engaging first two episodes I was left disappointed with. Kind of reminds me of B The Beginning of all things.
And now that I think about it, just like Carole, Zankyou kind of also had the issue of setting up everything for a really big story told with pathos with characters too weak to carry it (although the script was weak as well in that case).

Mh, maybe Watanabe is one of those people who needs the right people to work with to put his strengths to good use? Kind of like how Tite Kubo is also said to be good at portraying really cool moents and imagery and just not that great at or even interested in telling a good story around that.
I kind of have a fascination for people with a savant talent like that.

Hm, I don't think it will be as much of a downfall as Zankyou was, but it didn't have as interesting of an opening to begin with. It just might turn out to be a series with less highs and lows but of similar quality overall.

Edited for some minor typos.

Apr 21, 2019 1:27 PM
Oct 2012
Mythologically said:
Mythologically said:
If Roddy conveniently has millions of followers, then that's just a plot convenience and its still cringy.

Mythologically said:
the guy that is randomly recording them being famous is a plot convenience. That's my biggest issue here.

Mythologically said:
The fact that a random famous person happened to be in the same place where they were performing, and then randomly decided to record their performance, then upload it and have it become viral is a plot convenience whether it is reasonable or not. That's my problem with it.

Mythologically said:
Can you stop ignoring the fact that Roddy physically manifesting himself in the music hall is not in any way explained by your stupid shit about social media and technology?

First quote: "the dude that is there has millions of followers -> plot convenience"
Second quote: "the dude that is there is famous -> plot convenience"
Third quote: "there's a random famous person recording them -> plot convenience"
Fourth quote: "famous person being in the music hall -> plot convenience"

@BRK25 Please explain to me how these are not the same exact point. Every single time I've addressed the issue of the video becoming viral, I have indicated that my biggest problem is the random coincidence of him being in the music hall, or them breaking into the music hall while he is in there, or whatever way you want to phrase it. It's the same thing. His presence there is a plot convenience, which is my biggest issue with the whole thing. I have repeated this 5 times now.

You've disregarded everything I've written to focus on the one single thing that you believe you can be right on? Made me waste my time writing out the other things you have a problem with? This is not how you have a discussion but okay.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you that Roddi is there with a purpose. If Roddi took a bathroom break and came in at the time they were performing and started recording, I'd be on the same train of how these coincidences came together. But I'm not, because something like that is not worth nitpicking. I've said it before, the means don't justify the end for you. And if this makes you lose your mind, then so be it, but the way you go about commenting on it is hilarious. Repeat it for the 6th time so everyone hears you clearly.
Apr 21, 2019 1:40 PM
Nov 2018
Natsuaki said:
BRK25 said:

What I really liked about Zankyou no Terror was the atmosphere and mood along with a few really strong moments. I agree that the music was fantastic as well.
It's just where it ultimately went with the story and what it did with its characters to get there after a particularly strong and engaging first two episodes I was left disappointed with. Kind of reminds me of B The Beginning of all things.
And now that I think about it, just like Carole, Zankyou kind of also had the issue of setting up everything for a really big story told with pathos with characters too weak to carry it (although the script was weak as well in that case).

Mh, maybe Watanabe is one of those people who needs the right people to work with to put his strengths to good use? Kind of like how Tite Kubo is also said to be good at portraying really cool moents and imagery and just not that great at or even interested in telling a good story around that.
I kind of have a fascination for people with a savant talent like that.

Hm, I don't think it will be as much of a downfall as Zankyou was, but it didn't have as interesting of an opening to begin with. It just might turn out to be a series with less highs and lows but of similar quality overall.

Edited for some minor typos.

I think it is way too early to say that the characters are too weak to carry the story of the show in the case of C&T, there have been only two episodes and the show will have 24 episodes so theyhave plenty of time to develop the characters and for the characters to become memorable and let an emotional impact that could stay in one's memory for life.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2019

212 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 28, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2019

73 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 27, 8:34 PM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

82 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 25, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2019

77 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 23, 8:43 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2019

85 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 23, 7:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.