Forum Settings
Forums
New
Preferred demographic?
Jan 21, 2019 4:09 PM

Mar 2017
All in the title. I think I prefer seinen because I find that the balance between good story development and good character development is the best, and from what I've read, there seems to be less deus ex machina or randomness in the story. For example, the MC can actually die or the characters' personalities are realistic enough that I could imagine someone like them. So I suppose I'm saying that I find them to be more fluid and realistic (in relation to the rules of whatever universe the story is set in and human nature. Fantasy settings are still fine).

Jan 21, 2019 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
I find Seinen to be the most enjoyable but I'm more involved in shounen fandoms because shounen manga are more popular.
Jan 23, 2019 8:45 AM
Mar 2017
I think I've mostly read shojo manga as I happen to be a teenage girl.
I'm getting a little sick of it tho as even if a lot of them are great, there are so many that are not.
Will try most things tho
Jan 23, 2019 9:02 AM

Apr 2017
Seinen. Most of the quality is found in Seinen manga.
Jan 23, 2019 9:07 AM

Jul 2009
Seinen as well, I'm not sure if it's related to the fact that I am part of the demographic it targets though...
I do try to read all four, but I focus more on Shonen and Seinen stuff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2019 9:13 AM

Nov 2014
Definitely seinen although I also like shounen. I prefer seinen mostly since you can read about vastly different topic, and more "adult" ones such as the trouble to get a job, debts etc... Even though you can find them in shounen it is in general kind of toned down, or used in a comic situation. Whereas with seinen I feel the different themes are more explored, deeper, more realistic (in some case?). With real for example I can read about a whole new theme that I never knew and which is quite interesting and it talks about depression, being a drop out, finding something to do with your life... I don't know, it's something I never found in a shounen or less cliché at least.

Also got kind of bored by the nekketsu genre so jump series aren't so appealing to me as before when I started to read manga.

I feel like the author can express himself more in the seinen genre, with more violence but not only physical, also social and psychological violence like in ushijima or mangas with "dark" themes. Or you can find more unorthodox mangas such as Homunculus or dorohedoro.
Jan 23, 2019 12:10 PM

Mar 2017
aynoz said:
Definitely seinen although I also like shounen. I prefer seinen mostly since you can read about vastly different topic, and more "adult" ones such as the trouble to get a job, debts etc... Even though you can find them in shounen it is in general kind of toned down, or used in a comic situation. Whereas with seinen I feel the different themes are more explored, deeper, more realistic (in some case?). With real for example I can read about a whole new theme that I never knew and which is quite interesting and it talks about depression, being a drop out, finding something to do with your life... I don't know, it's something I never found in a shounen or less cliché at least.

Also got kind of bored by the nekketsu genre so jump series aren't so appealing to me as before when I started to read manga.

I feel like the author can express himself more in the seinen genre, with more violence but not only physical, also social and psychological violence like in ushijima or mangas with "dark" themes. Or you can find more unorthodox mangas such as Homunculus or dorohedoro.

Totally agree, especially with the diversity aspect of seinen manga. I really like original themes. Homunculus and Dorohedoro are pretty dope too. Never read anything like Dorohedoro before. Very unique
Jan 23, 2019 12:13 PM

Mar 2017
CrashRHCP said:
Seinen as well, I'm not sure if it's related to the fact that I am part of the demographic it targets though...
I do try to read all four, but I focus more on Shonen and Seinen stuff.

Yes, idk if it's related to me being in that demographic too. As for me I focus on shoujo instead of shounen. Idk why but priority goes seinen > shoujo > shounen. Josei doesn't even qualify to be in that list because I've only found a couple josei manga that interest me.
Jan 24, 2019 12:45 AM

Oct 2016
I'm mostly shoujo because I'm hopeless. ( ͒•·̫| The shoujo series are more interesting to me. I'm not much into fighting. I'm a scaredy-cat (*/ω\*) that's why I prefer light and fluffy series the shoujo offers. 。(*^▽^*)ゞ
Jan 24, 2019 1:51 AM

Nov 2017
I'm a shoujo nut. <3 I'm such a hopeless romantic and shoujo fulfills that need for fluff in me, so I gravitate more towards that!
Jan 25, 2019 3:17 AM

Sep 2018
shounen becas im a young boy and i like motivational and cool things 👍
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2019 5:23 AM

Jan 2016
Seinen without a doubt. In general I'd have to say that seinen is the best of the four. Even though the other three have their moments.
Jan 25, 2019 1:45 PM

Sep 2015
Accoridng to malgraph:
► Seinen with 83 titles and a 6.19 mean score
► shounen with 48 titles and a 5.64 mean score
► shoujo with 18 titles and a 3.50 mean score
► and josei with 7 titles and 5.40 mean score

Maybe I shoudl read more josei.
Jan 27, 2019 2:17 PM

Nov 2018
i do read all 4 and prefer with seinen & shounen. sometimes i kinda confused what between shounen and seinen, is it because the MC age or the story content also counts? i found some shounen genre with a pretty deep and dark story but they have a teenager MC..
Jan 28, 2019 3:36 PM

Mar 2017
sogegesoge said:
i do read all 4 and prefer with seinen & shounen. sometimes i kinda confused what between shounen and seinen, is it because the MC age or the story content also counts? i found some shounen genre with a pretty deep and dark story but they have a teenager MC..

Seinen means that the manga itself is targeted towards adult men, 18+.

Shounen means that the manga itself is targeted towards boys ages 10-17-ish

I've read shounen with main characters that are 28 years old, and I also have read seinen where the MC is 14 years old.

Also, story content doesn't determine demographic either. Most of the time seinen will be more mature graphically and thematically, but not always.
Jan 29, 2019 5:04 AM

Dec 2016
seinen’s most enjoyable in general, though here is some good shounen/josei around. most shoujo’s suck.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Feb 4, 2019 5:45 PM

Dec 2012
The ones I enjoy the most are usually seinen, which is fitting since I am the target demographic.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 5, 2019 9:38 AM

Dec 2018
Seinen. It's the most mature and has the least anime bullshit in it.

Why I didn't choose:
Shonen: It's full of anime bullshit.
Shojo: It's full of unrealistic adolescent girl fantasies.
Josei: Haven't read much of this but they've left kind of a degenerate city culture impression on me. It seems to be all sex and relationship stuff.
Feb 5, 2019 11:17 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Shonen. I don't think they're all great, in fact I think a lot of them run into similar pace, plot, and logical issues. But I love epic stories, I love huge casts, and exuberant personality. When pulled off with heart and effort, they're magnificent pieces of work.
Feb 5, 2019 11:17 AM

Mar 2017
skeletalz said:
Seinen. It's the most mature and has the least anime bullshit in it.

Why I didn't choose:
Shonen: It's full of anime bullshit.
Shojo: It's full of unrealistic adolescent girl fantasies.
Josei: Haven't read much of this but they've left kind of a degenerate city culture impression on me. It seems to be all sex and relationship stuff.

Don't you mean most manga BS? Most anime stems from manga after all

I agree with shounen though. Most shounen is pretty bad imo. They are a couple pretty good ones like To Your Eternity and Death Note

I half agree with shoujo. A lot is full of unrealistic adolescent girl fantasies, but I've also read shoujo that is a lot more mature than shounen. So that's why I like it more.

Josei. Also havent read too much. The only josei I've seen is romance and horror, so I'm pretty neutral on it like you
Feb 5, 2019 2:05 PM
Dec 2018
It's seinen by far for myself but I kinda read every one of those 4 genres.

There are really bad seinen like in every genre but overall it's way more unlikely that I don't enjoy a seinen where the synopsis/character design appeal to me than for the other 3 genres.
Feb 11, 2019 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
Anything that is not shounen
Feb 11, 2019 8:20 PM

Dec 2011
It's probably between shoujo and seinen for me. I love the emotional, heart-wrenching feelings shoujo is able to bring out of the reader. With seinen, the realistic aspects make the work feel familiar and I almost always end up thinking about life.
If I think about it it's probably shoujo > seinen > shounen > josei. I haven't read many josei titles to have an opinion about it yet. The ones I know are just tragic af.
Feb 12, 2019 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
All and none, but if I have to choose my favorite demographic would be Shounen, because my favorites give this away and happen to fall into this category. I like the mix of genres and often the characterization too and don't want to agree on the statement that most of them are too overdone. It could happen everywhere.
Many of my favorite characters and settings are from Shounen manga. So I'll pick that one.

My least favorite would be Shoujo, because of the overall typical characterization and atmosphere from many of them. Tho the main reason is often the artstyle. Not all of course.
At least the straight romances tend to be too cute and sweet, although there are some others I really like.
I like the sweet romances too, but they don't become my favorites or impress me for a long time. They are more for inbetween.
Natsume Yuujinchou, Banana Fish, No. 6, Children of the Whales and Akatsuki no Yona although are awesome.

Romance-wise I think male-orientated stories and romantic subplots in Shounen and Seinen are often better.
They aren't too sugarcoated and the straight romances have better heroines imo, because they don't try to be self-inserts for female readers.

Josei so far was good too and I like its relationship- and sex-orientated themes. The demographic are somewhat true in these ways, because I started to like and appreciate some of them with like 20.
Although I also had not so good experiences with the Josei genre, which was mainly "drawing of cute boys and weird Boys Love" I'm really not into lol. I automatically think "see, for this, I'm feeling too gay to witness another woman's weird fantasies about some guys".
Now I have seen a little bit more of the demographic tag and there seem to be very interesting manga, which appeal to me. Even if there aren't so many of them.

Seinen often has too much moe, which panders to adult men ofc, or its scifi or dark fantasy is edgy from what I have seen, but I must read more there too.
It had titles I enjoyed very much for their themes and atmospheres too.
I really enjoyed the SOLs there and it has some very impressive works in general.

Speaking of artwork/style: I don't like many Shoujo artstyles overall. And as much as I know that it sounds superficial: Some Shoujo artstyles look so horrible in my eyes that I don't feel the urge to read them.
Some Josei's resemble that, but there are a little bit more realistic / not looking like Fruits Basket or similar as well.

In general I really prefer Shounen and Seinen artstyles. Shounen artstyles shouldn't be like Dragonball or One Piece etc for me, then I'm very happy wih them.
removed-userFeb 12, 2019 3:51 PM
Feb 13, 2019 6:39 PM

Nov 2014
Maneki-Mew said:

Seinen often has too much moe, which panders to adult men ofc, or its scifi or dark fantasy is edgy from what I have seen, but I must read more there too.
I really enjoyed the SOLs there and it has some very impressive works in general.

I can't really see the "moe" in seinen manga you're referring to. But maybe I didn't notice since I don't really like "slice of life"/high school background that much, and moe could be related to these themes.
Moreover shonen can be also very edgy ~ As you said I think y should dig deeper because there's definitely a large number of seinen without the "edgy" side which are interesting, and there's much more than just si-fi or dark fantasy series.
Feb 14, 2019 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
aynoz said:
Maneki-Mew said:

I can't really see the "moe" in seinen manga you're referring to. But maybe I didn't notice since I don't really like "slice of life"/high school background that much, and moe could be related to these themes.
Moreover shonen can be also very edgy ~ As you said I think y should dig deeper because there's definitely a large number of seinen without the "edgy" side which are interesting, and there's much more than just si-fi or dark fantasy series.

I meant is sometimes a part of seinen in general.
Yes, I should and will.
Feb 14, 2019 11:56 AM

Jun 2014
Shounen and Shoujo are my favorites. I like both equally, although I think that I read Shoujo a little more.

I refuse to read Seinen and Josei, because they usually contain disturbing content, and I am easily bothered by certain things. I don't read stuff with sex or extreme violence, and you're more likely to find those disturbing things with Seinen/Josei, which is why I avoid them. I also hate psychological stuff.

Feb 14, 2019 6:05 PM

Mar 2017
Seiya said:
Shounen and Shoujo are my favorites. I like both equally, although I think that I read Shoujo a little more.

I refuse to read Seinen and Josei, because they usually contain disturbing content, and I am easily bothered by certain things. I don't read stuff with sex or extreme violence, and you're more likely to find those disturbing things with Seinen/Josei, which is why I avoid them. I also hate psychological stuff.

I'm the opposite. I prefer psychological stuff because I like studying the intent behind the action more than the consequences of the action most of the time. Psychological stuff doesn't have to be dark and edgy like a lot of people think, but that is the norm
Feb 16, 2019 5:54 AM

Oct 2015
I really like reading Seinen mostly. It gives me something to think about every now and then although reading too much makes my heart heavy so I have to read something more light-hearted every now and then.
Feb 16, 2019 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Seinen all the way since most of their premise are always interesting and experimental there aren't many seinen anime these days nor yet to explored those unique premise (especially the darker ones).

I find shoujo/josei manga very difficult to enjoy since most of the characters does stupid moves.

Shounen can be very hit-or-miss and mostly get axed these days. However they can be gold at the same time.
Feb 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Mar 2017
@SkyDrop
I wish more anime approached the Seinen demographic too. It seems almost taboo to attempt to adapt or create something with a "grown-up" atmosphere

@EGOIST I do the same thing. About 70% of what I've read would qualify as seinen. Right now I'm trying to explore the other demographics a bit more
Feb 16, 2019 3:08 PM

Sep 2015
I would be more careful with that "always" and "grown-up atmosphere", there are a lot of light hearted cute girls shows/manga or even ecchi/harem that are tagged as seinen. A lot of them are made to chill after a long day at work.
Feb 17, 2019 5:39 AM
Feb 2018
Definitely Seinen. I mostly read romance manga and I find that for the most part seinen without heavy ecchi focus just does romance better. Not that the occasional shounen romance series can't be good but it's difficult to find one that has any depth to it. Shoujo and Josei are really hit or miss for me, I find that the generic tropey stories often have a male lead that is completely bland to the point where if I've seen one of them I've seen them all. Especially true when the vast majority fall into the 'prettyboy' trope and/or constantly harass the female lead. Too much pointless drama and too many love triangles. That said, there are exceptions and every so often I find a shoujo/josei that breaks those tropes that is a great read.
BlackAdder99Feb 17, 2019 5:46 AM
Feb 17, 2019 2:18 PM

Feb 2019
I've never paid attention to demographic. I enjoy a good story regardless if it's targeted at dudes, gals, or little abominations.
Feb 17, 2019 2:22 PM

Jan 2019
Seinen and Josei, usually more adult-oriented which i prefer(not always, exceptions occur)
Feb 17, 2019 9:12 PM

Aug 2013
I prefer seinen, but lately I found that overall Josei has the best characters, which is the thing I go mostly for (even though my favourite character driven manga is a seinen). And shoujo for when I'm feeling fluffy.

Shounen is eh. I like it when they don't look like shounens.

Seiya said:

Uh, weird. Most manga I read are either seinen or josei and they rarely have stuff like that. The most violent thing I've read is probably Lone Wolf.
Feb 17, 2019 9:15 PM

Jun 2014
Satyr_icon said:
I prefer seinen, but lately I found that overall Josei has the best characters, which is the thing I go mostly for (even though my favourite character driven manga is a seinen). And shoujo for when I'm feeling fluffy.

Shounen is eh. I like it when they don't look like shounens.

Seiya said:

Uh, weird. Most manga I read are either seinen or josei and they rarely have stuff like that. The most violent thing I've read is probably Lone Wolf.

Oh, I see. I generally just don't like stuff that's geared toward adults, so I see no reason to read seinen or josei works, even if they didn't have anything overly disturbing in them.

Feb 20, 2019 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
I read a lot of shoujo and really enjoy a cute love story with pretty and funny characters, but if I had to pick favorites I would probably choose seinen. Most seinen I read had a really intriguing and interesting story. I also really enjoy psychological manga and many seinen seem to have that genre as well. They also seem to work less with unnecessary fanservice (e.g. panty shots) or overused tropes. Or I just got lucky so far with most of the ones I read :D

I only read a handful of josei, so I don't have an opinion about that demographic at all; and shounen is often too predictable and ecchi to me. Shoujo can really suffer from tropes as well, but for some reason I can enjoy it more than shounen (though there are definitely shounen I've enjoyed a lot, but it's often really big hit-or-miss)

Short version of my preference: seinen > shoujo > shounen > josei
Feb 20, 2019 2:56 PM

Mar 2017
Haibara said:
I read a lot of shoujo and really enjoy a cute love story with pretty and funny characters, but if I had to pick favorites I would probably choose seinen. Most seinen I read had a really intriguing and interesting story. I also really enjoy psychological manga and many seinen seem to have that genre as well. They also seem to work less with unnecessary fanservice (e.g. panty shots) or overused tropes. Or I just got lucky so far with most of the ones I read :D

I only read a handful of josei, so I don't have an opinion about that demographic at all; and shounen is often too predictable and ecchi to me. Shoujo can really suffer from tropes as well, but for some reason I can enjoy it more than shounen (though there are definitely shounen I've enjoyed a lot, but it's often really big hit-or-miss)

Short version of my preference: seinen > shoujo > shounen > josei

This is exactly how my preferences ars, and for the exact same reasons too :0
Feb 26, 2019 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
Seinen for sure because it is supposed to aim at my age and gender, and it really does looking at the statistics so far. Seinen is the one I enjoy the most, comes Josei as the 2nd, while Shounen and Shoujo far behind. At least that's what I believe. I may a bit harsh to Shounen despite the amount of Shounen manga I've read so far. Well, I find Shounen manga enjoyable too, but I tend to avoid them nowadays especially if the Author is someone whose style in writing I already know and dislike.

As to why, Seinen manga provides more interesting topic, from something taboo to light slice of life, complex dystopian fantasy world to simple club activites, to the vulgarism of borderline hentai to Serious one with minimalist dialogue and no comedy. Not mention how unique the style of the author. I actually feel that Seinen Author tend to be honest with themselves in writing with their own style. It's reflected from how distinguishable they are one another. Either is it about the artstyle, their way in conveying an idea, or the theme they tend to explore. But surely, I am just talking generally here.

I like Josei when it comes to realistic manga that deals with drama, relationship and job. I guess Josei is the best for those theme.

Shounen? I still check some shounen manga out once in awhile but I tend to drop them. Only those that feel different from the rest or written by my favorite author that I follow nowadays.

When it comes to Shoujo, I only read its one-shot mostly. Sometimes I also check the ones that have less than five volumes. More than that? No, they tend to have drama dragged on all along, similar to shounen romance.
Feb 26, 2019 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Josei. I like reading things targeted toward my age. It's obviously more mature than shoujo and seems to have more a variety of storylines and deeper drama because of the targeted demographic. Some Seinen is good too although I tend to prefer the romance Josei titles have to offer. I like the femininity I guess you could say.
Feb 26, 2019 6:01 PM

Mar 2017
PaintedFox said:
Josei. I like reading things targeted toward my age. It's obviously more mature than shoujo and seems to have more a variety of storylines and deeper drama because of the targeted demographic. Some Seinen is good too although I tend to prefer the romance Josei titles have to offer. I like the femininity I guess you could say.

What are some good Josei titles? I've only read like 6 but none of them impressed me except Paradise Kiss. I think it was josei anyway.
Feb 26, 2019 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
N30-R3TR0 said:
What are some good Josei titles? I've only read like 6 but none of them impressed me except Paradise Kiss. I think it was josei anyway.

Some I really liked.
Gozen 3-ji no Muhouchitai
Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai
Hapi Mari: Happy Marriage!?
Silver

Lots of people like this one. I found it alright but you might think otherwise.
Kimi wa Pet
removed-userFeb 26, 2019 7:51 PM
Feb 26, 2019 7:48 PM

Nov 2017
I have always been such a shoujo fan. What can I say, sometimes all I'm in the mood for is something full of fluff and sparkles with a good old romance tossed in. Though as a kid, my love of shoujo did end with me in a rather amusing situation. Because of what a staunch, stoic tomboy I was, I loathed the idea of anybody looking at what I was reading or watching. Lo and behold, my mother walked in and in a really stupid, instinctive jolt, I slammed my laptop shut at the speed of light. She was convinced I was watching porn and drilled me for a bit, to which I ended up letting her believe, because of course watching porn to my young teenage mind was a better reputation to have with my mother than what was actually the truth: I was mid-way through a long one-shot about some new girl at high school and the delinquent boy she'd fallen in love with.

So thanks, fourteen year old me. Much appreciated.
Feb 27, 2019 3:52 AM

Feb 2019
Definitely Seinen, I love dark and gritty stories and seinen manga are usually like that. The arts tend to lean towards more detailed and realism too.
Character wise, there's more depth to them than shounen or shoujo. A lot of what I've enjoyed are seinen too but that's probably because my taste matches that of the seinen demography.
Feb 27, 2019 4:38 AM

Mar 2016
I like seinen the best because they tend to be more serious and sophisticated in manner.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Feb 27, 2019 6:41 AM

Apr 2013
I put seinen but josei is about as high as well imo. The way the story is narrated and the type of character yo usee in there usually clicks more with me than shounen or shoujo, although there's plenty of interesting stuff in every demographics.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

15 by Rinrinka »»
22 minutes ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
12 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.