Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 18, 2016 11:45 AM

Apr 2014
Is it just me, or did that faceplant make no sense? That scene was great other than that. That was weird.
Dec 18, 2016 12:28 PM

May 2015
damn. that was super intense there at the end. hella good episode
Dec 18, 2016 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode like usual. I wish someone was there to him in the end, like his step sister, but that would be a bit too convenient.
Dec 18, 2016 1:57 PM

Feb 2014
The more I see Kyoko, the more I hate her. She always getting all the info on Rei's opponents so she can guilt-trip him about their struggles, like Yasui's divorce woes. Thankfully, it only made Rei stronger as he didn't let her venomous words get the better of him.

It's clear that she's doing all of this since she still blames him for ruining her relationship between her and her father. I'm still hoping that she can change and move on from her personal grudge with Rei, but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Rei's outburst at himself in the park was brilliantly done. Seeing him having that breakdown about himself and shouting out his frustrations of shogi was very powerful. The poor guy needs a comforting hug from the Kawamoto sisters, who will thankfully appear again next week.

Excellent episode. =)
Dec 18, 2016 3:06 PM

May 2015
The soundtracks in this episode was "AMAZING"

[アウサマ95]
Dec 18, 2016 4:06 PM

Aug 2015
REEEEIII :((
I was waiting for Yasui to appear behind Rei at the end of the episode lol
Ara Ara~
Dec 18, 2016 5:20 PM
Oct 2016
The episode is nice, I like it. His sister were evil tho.
But, am I the only one that thinks the animation of this episode were getting worse since Episode 9? Or that's an usual Shaft animation? Since I never watched something by Shaft before..
Dec 18, 2016 5:45 PM

Apr 2015
I'm starting to really hate the sister. She seems really dedicated to sabotaging Rei's life. She would have to stalk his opponents to find out some of the info she uses to manipulate him. I missed seeing the girls this episode.
Dec 18, 2016 7:11 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Everything was nicely done in this episode. Man, I feel really bad for Rei too. EOTS material right here.
Dec 18, 2016 10:09 PM

Oct 2008
What happened here on this episode is the inverse of what happened on the previous episode...NOT GOOD!
OMG! Rei broke for a moment there! gosh...
4/5.

Dec 19, 2016 9:13 AM

Aug 2010
Rei's breakdown was inevitable. All the build up from the previous episodes plus all the words Kyoko said to him only added fuel to the fire. The scene was executed well, and Rei accepts who he really is.
Dec 19, 2016 11:38 AM

Oct 2013
The end card was funny as heck. Wowee, Rei expressing his frustrations at the end really made my heart move. Finally next episode, we get to see the sisters again. :)
Dec 19, 2016 1:04 PM

Jul 2009
sean_1 said:
I love how Rei doesn't throw any games and he's not falling into Kyouko's trap.

^This. It would be so depressing if he did. Thank goodness he still keeps winning :)

His sister is the worst kind of person. Like what's her end game? I felt sorry for her and her brother when the dad didn't give them shogi gifts but c'mon its not Rei's fault. He's a flippin orphan for goodness sake -.- Evil girl.

Also I couldn't decide if I wanted someone to hear Rei's rant at the end or not. Would have been embarrassing if someone heard, but I also think it would help if he could open up to someone.
Dec 19, 2016 1:45 PM

Nov 2007
Kyouko is not even good bad character....she is just annoying and can go drown in the river for what i care,bitch.
Dec 19, 2016 2:23 PM

Jul 2015
wow what a powerful episode. start to love the anime more and more.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Dec 19, 2016 6:22 PM
Mar 2012
Match music so heavy in kokoro.
Yasui being defeatist & irascible, lol that name "easy"~lazy.
Powerful sprint & outburst. Kyouko's poison did it. Winning matches but losing your mind really sucks. He needs that teddy bear hug.
Dec 20, 2016 6:36 AM

Nov 2011
It is more than plausible try frustration in certain situations, especially if you empathize in others' contexts and you are a person of integrity and consequently empathetic. Narrative that still beats on the link between Rei and Kyouko, is ... well, it was almost a foregone conclusion that the girl felt against the usurper, a boundless hatred, but this shows even more his mentality still immature. Very beautiful narration, the old man deserved a punch and not the kindness shown to him by Rei. Drawings and soundtrack, do a great job during the shogi game. I want more!
Dec 20, 2016 8:50 AM
Oct 2016
Shout... Shout... Let it all out...
These are the things Rei can do without...
Dec 20, 2016 9:54 AM

Apr 2014
this episode was very...painful. one of my favorites so far. glad to see progress in rei's character and him not throwing away the match for the sake of others. although i thought he would somehow beat some sense into that father but i guess it's more realistic to leave a stranger alone with their personal matters.

by the way.....we haven't seen the sisters in so long, i miss them :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2016 11:36 AM

Jul 2009
Oh man, the part at the beginning just really perfectly sold me on the relationship between Rei and Kyouko. Clearly Kyouko's trying to mess with him but like Rei said, a part of him likes hearing her say those things to him huh? I mean with that flashback it's really no wonder she hates him at least a little bit - I mean the adoptive child getting a shogi set out of the three of them? That really sucks for her >_< Rei wins another match against a drunkard father and that was a really powerful scene at the end where he just screams out his frustrations. Good on you for getting it all out! Haha I agree with him though, "you lost because you suck" XD Good on him for not throwing the match! Looks like we might get to see the sisters next week too! Looking forward to it :D
Dec 20, 2016 1:23 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Practice makes perfect as the old saying goes
Now that Rei has regained his confidence Rei should be able to climb back up the ladder.

Man Kyoko is just so annoying
She knows that Rei doesn't know how to deal with her
Plus she always goes out of her way to make Rei fear the next match due to his opponents wishes and desires and their circumstances

Lol Kyoko complaining about her present by beating the bear
wow and Rei got a shogi set as a present
bet that stopped everything there
at least both Kyoko and her brother had something though

Man being a professional shogi player at Rei's age is hard work
with both school and his career as well
lol so the teacher didn't get invited to the party eh
lol his reaction though

Hmm so Christmas has no special meaning for Rei because of lack of love from his foster sister and brother eh
Kyoko's words though are causing doubts in Rei's mind
As long as you both play to the best of your abilities thats all that matters really

Love the music that plays during Rei's match though
Piano felt really appropriate for the scenes
So was Rei's opponent drinking alcohol before the match then
so while Rei's opponent started strong one mistake was what caused his defeat eh

Watching Rei realize this and wish desperately for him to adapt and man up though
But i guess he just lost that resolve and focus for the match
The guy lost because he lost focus and concentration
don't take it on Rei who played to the best of his abilities despite his doubts

Poor Rei though
To Rei shogi is everything and it is just as part of his life as school is
If you don't practice and didn't prepare for the match then you shouldn't play at all. Escaping by use of alcohol is just cowardly. If you don't practice and try then you don't deserve to be playing at all. Well said there Rei
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2016 1:59 PM

Jul 2016
This felt like a strange episode, but in a really good way. Rei continues to make me empathize with his position. He's stuck in a place he felt he was forced into and isn't sure how to deal with it.

They really played up the antagonist that lives in Kyouko in this episode, and I know I shouldn't like her (because of what they imply happened in the past/her personality) but like Rei I can't help but be drawn in a little.

There was a lack of the Kawamoto family in this episode, and usually their fluffy scenes are a good balance to the darker story that is constantly surfacing whenever Rei is alone with his thoughts.

The unbalance between the two tones in this episode threw me off, but still this episode ended up being my favorite one so far.
Dec 20, 2016 4:33 PM

Sep 2015
Pretty solid episode, even if it felt very reminiscent of the previous one. I liked some parts of it a lot, like what seems to be becoming the shows capitalist mantra for one to win another must lose and I also enjoyed all his interactions with his step sister especially the kind of sad Christmas flashback. But a lot of this episode was really overdone to me. Rei's little break down in the park made me roll my eyes a little, and then outright laugh when after his underwhelming temper tantrum he just throws himself on the ground. Hey at least the animation was pretty, got to give Shaft that.
Dec 20, 2016 9:01 PM

Aug 2015
Solid episode everything was a 5/5

I was glad to see Rei express himself at the end. His life is shogi and without it he can't live. Rei is infuriated by Kyouko telling him of his opponents misfortunes and by beating them he drives the nail in their coffin, though he doesn't like it. But if he doesn't then his life is on the line. This is how he earns his living and all he has.

Kyouko's antagonistic approach does not go unnoticed by Rei but for some reason he want's to hear it. "I hate myself for wanting to hear it".

I think this coupled with the fact that he has no choice but to create more misery for others (the two most recent opponents anyway) in order to survive has created a lot of inner turmoil for Rei and he finally broke down.

Hopefully this will be for the better and he strengthens his will to progress to higher ranks.
Dec 21, 2016 4:52 AM

Jun 2012
This anime is very good, but gosh is it the most depressing anime I've ever seen. I'm not one to normally feel depressed, but this anime just brings me down. :/
Will continue watching it though.
Dec 21, 2016 9:06 AM

Jul 2009
I was kinda suspecting Rei to have a breakdown, but I wasn't suspecting it to happen so fast and to such extent. It may be good for him though, to let it all out after keeping it to himself. It started when he talked to this guy Hinata has a crush on and it continued in this episode, by the river. I really hope it will help him, because as we have seen, he's a mess, the sisters are trying to reach him but it probably isn't enough. He needs to make up with himself first.

Kyoko is just disgusting, I have no words for what she is doing... Of course, she was hurt when her father favoured Rei, but still...
Dec 21, 2016 9:34 AM

Apr 2014
SubscriberSun said:
Pretty solid episode, even if it felt very reminiscent of the previous one. I liked some parts of it a lot, like what seems to be becoming the shows capitalist mantra for one to win another must lose and I also enjoyed all his interactions with his step sister especially the kind of sad Christmas flashback. But a lot of this episode was really overdone to me. Rei's little break down in the park made me roll my eyes a little, and then outright laugh when after his underwhelming temper tantrum he just throws himself on the ground. Hey at least the animation was pretty, got to give Shaft that.
"throw himself on the ground"

cant u tell that he is sick? if u watch past the ending credits the previews talk about how he wasnt feeling well. and if u want some proof this is the pv image

he didnt drop himself like some ppl are thinking.
Dec 21, 2016 6:06 PM

Dec 2014
Alright, Kyouko is officially the fucking devil. Aside from that, holy CRAP the soundtrack worked wonders in this episode. Great episode all around. Glad there were no bouncing CG shougi cats...
Dec 22, 2016 7:44 AM

Mar 2016
rasa-- said:
Is it just me, or did that faceplant make no sense? That scene was great other than that. That was weird.

The scene struck me as "off" as well. Unless unconscious or incapacitated, a falling person will attempt to throw forward their arms and break their fall. As illustrated, Rei did not. I believe they were going for a beyond-reality sort of thing, portraying at that instant in time Rei did not care. Simple realism would have had him break his glasses at a minimum, and probably his skull or nose. In actuality, since none of that happened, he did, in fact, break his fall, not necessarily as a conscious act. IMO it was this conflict between what was illustrated and what actually happened that felt a bit nonsensical. I'm glad they attempted something out of the ordinary, though.
r0kusDec 22, 2016 7:49 AM
-- Rich
Dec 22, 2016 3:49 PM

Sep 2014
The music this episode was just perfect.

What I've learned about the world of shogi so far: Every shogi player is close to a menthal breakdown, has heavy personal problems, and every shogi match is like your last one.

I mean come on. First the old guy and now this pathetic scrub? Rei is right, he has no use for them.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 22, 2016 11:26 PM
Aug 2016
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I still think that Kyouko's voice actress force the nasty and arrogant tone too much but it's a detail and I'll get use to it anyway.

Yes, I agree. The malice is just a little bit over the top and makes her seem too cartoony at times.
Dec 23, 2016 12:14 AM
Aug 2016
This episode proves once again that the comedic timing in this series isn't working for me. The teacher scene could have been funny, but somehow I didn't feel it hit the right notes, it should have just stopped after Rei was gone, the monologuing afterwards made me cringe.

It's the drama of this episode that really stands out to me. My favourite is the scene when Yasui shows his true colours and grab the bag from Rei in anger. He's the kind of guy with rage issues that blame others for his own failures. He's acting like his temperament is a force of nature, like he has no control over what will happen. The only one ruining that Christmas is himself, he's the one choosing to rage at his family for losing, he's the one deciding to make Christmas a hell for his daughter.

I really liked Rei's breakdown and running. It felt really believable to me, maybe because I act in a rather similar way when I get upset enough, and that bag grabbing, I could feel how painful it was, almost as if it happened to me. Maybe because the beginning of the animation sequence was presented as something happening right in front of the viewer, the hand threateningly lashing out towards the "camera" view. I do see how someone might think it's a bit over the top, but for me it worked. I liked the change of animation running through the forest, it's like the blurry view the world takes when dashing desperately barely knowing where you're going, which most likely was the purpose.

I see they're using the close up on people's faces in slow motion and changing angles and broken up animation (in one cell the head is moving, in another still, in another the head is going the other way, that kind of thing) during a speaking scene to make it more dramatic and almost surreal, which I've seen in some other shaft series. Not a big fan in general, but it worked alright in this episode.
Dec 23, 2016 4:43 AM

Feb 2008
That woman, if words alone could kill... The callous intent of her words becomes even more profound due to the way she is portrayed. Still, she definitely intrigues me.

Rei's outburst was quite enjoyable. That weakling of an opponent, however, definitely didn't deserve any respect.
Dec 24, 2016 8:44 AM

Aug 2012
That was a really satisfying episode.

Dec 24, 2016 2:23 PM

Apr 2012
That was very intense and made me start to cry a little at the end. ;_;
Dec 25, 2016 8:23 AM

Jun 2013
Rei is right, it's not his fault that he's good at shogi. Some people are just naturally talented, beautiful, intelligent, skilled at something and there are people who envy them for it. Life is like that. Hating someone for being better than you is pointless. Let's say you didn't study for a test and got a shit score, why would you hate someone who DID study (or is a natural genius) and got a higher score? Shouldn't you hate yourself for not doing your best?

Also, like Rei only has shogi in his life. The people you hate for being better at something than you are probably only have that one thing going for them. Maybe they have other things they value more than that one thing you envy them for.

Powerful episode and I feel sorry for Rei. There are so many shitty people around him and yet at the same time, he has a lot of people who care for him too.
臭い-
Dec 26, 2016 5:12 AM

Jul 2008
I really hate Kyouko.
Dec 26, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2015
Very emotional and stating episode.
The breakdown in the end was really comprehensible.

4/5
Dec 28, 2016 7:59 AM

Mar 2015
Ranxomare said:
Kyoku, the Rei´s sister, is a viper...

http://imgur.com/a/keY1V
I used my noob's skills in paint just for that.
Dec 28, 2016 8:07 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Tlahuizcapante said:
Ranxomare said:
Kyoku, the Rei´s sister, is a viper...

http://imgur.com/a/keY1V
I used my noob's skills in paint just for that.

xD Welcome to the WWE Smackdown!!!! Lol
Dec 30, 2016 8:58 PM
Sep 2015
rasa-- said:

It is made by shaft after all. What do you expect :3
Dec 30, 2016 9:53 PM

Apr 2014
Lucy-is-onemagic said:
It is made by shaft after all. What do you expect :3
This appears to be the first Shaft production I've seen, so I guess I wouldn't expect that, hah.
Dec 31, 2016 7:38 AM

Feb 2015
Fantastic scene at the end, great to see. Definitely one of the least lighthearted and happy episodes, but it was great development. It also served to show how Kyouko's poisonous words resonate with Rei all too much. But his last speech may have really helped him not to feel too bad, because though he may have felt like the grim reaper sometimes, like he said, it's still his opponent's fault for being weak. Anyway, I want more Nikaidou and the sisters next episode!
Dec 31, 2016 10:31 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, that was a powerful episode!
Jan 2, 2017 8:08 AM

Feb 2012
great episode, I was worried the show would go downhill because of the latest episodes.
Jan 5, 2017 3:24 AM

Feb 2014
Glad the show is back to being good again. Everything between Yasui snatching the bag from Rei's hand, and Rei having his (epic) breakdown was some great visual storytelling.
That faceplant must have hurt like hell. In the real world it would probably give his cheekbone at least a hairline fracture.
Jan 6, 2017 11:24 PM

Nov 2008
rasa-- said:

Yeah... I thought it was weird, too, especially since I didn't even remember it from the source material. And then I double-checked to confirm that it wasn't. In the original, he was bent over by the end of his rant at the most.

This was something Shaft added into the scene, presumably for dramatic effect, with mixed results. Clearly, the faceplant didn't work for you and I (IMO, the scene was dramatic enough without it), but it seems it worked for others. lol
Jan 22, 2017 7:46 PM
May 2014
The ending of this episode captures my problems with a lot of melodramatic breakdown scenes in anime. Like it makes absolutely zero sense for someone to go into the middle of a street and just yell out their true feelings. A scene that was supposed to be a very important emotional moment of the grief and insecurity that has been building up since ep 1 just ends up being an absolute cheesefest. Re Zero had this exact same problem around ep 10 when the main character just yells out and cries all of the pain he has been stomaching prior to that but even that one still held some weight since it was yelled to another person who basically got him to let it out. Still a really cheesy scene but this was just next level ridiculous.
Mar 16, 2017 4:59 AM
Feb 2015
BlackstarFallen said:
I really hate it when Kyouko tries to guilt-trip Rei. At least he doesn't fall for it. He has to win because it's the only thing he has to survive. The music being played during the shogi match was beautiful. I loved it. Kyoko gave up too easily with that match. The outburst from Rei was very powerful. Feeling guilty for an opponent is not easy, but Rei had to win. It's not his fault Kyoko was weak. Losing on purpose isn't going to help either. Shogi is the only thing Rei has to survive. I really feel bad for him.
I know I love the OST and the visuals really beautiful
Mar 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Mar 2015
When Rei broke down like that I could only feel for the poor guy. It's true after all! Why should he feel sorry for beating those who don't put in as much time and effort as he does?
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:10 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:06 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.