Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 16, 2016 4:56 AM

Mar 2015
Vysarine said:
I rarely drop anime. Usually I do a bit of research beforehand to see if I would like it going in (which is why I usually give out high scores)

Same here. That's also the reason why I don't bother watching 30 fucking shows every season.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Aug 16, 2016 5:11 AM

Nov 2009
On_the_Lam said:
What fucking anime do you watch that are entertaining from their very first 5 minutes what the fuck

Try Masou Gakuen HxH. Everything you need to know about the show can be learned in 5 minutes.

But in general yes, less than a whole episode is not enough to understand an anime. But it can be enough to drop it.
Aug 16, 2016 5:22 AM
Aug 2015
flannan said:
On_the_Lam said:
What fucking anime do you watch that are entertaining from their very first 5 minutes what the fuck

Try Masou Gakuen HxH. Everything you need to know about the show can be learned in 5 minutes.

But in general yes, less than a whole episode is not enough to understand an anime. But it can be enough to drop it.

What happens during the first 5 minutes of Attack on Titan though? Nothing at all. "Nothing happening" would be a good reason to drop a series, but not when nothing happens in its first 5 minutes.
Aug 16, 2016 5:27 AM

Mar 2016
In my case I only add to my drop list after watching at least 1 epsiode but I have dropped series after minutes of watching it. For example Durarara and Overlord, Taboo Tatto being the most recent but haven't added them to my drop list, because maybe I'll tray tackling them in the future. But reading your statement I realize that adding them to the drop list may alert other user to not recommend them to me.
Aug 16, 2016 5:32 AM

Feb 2016
On_the_Lam said:
kingfroggy said:
-overrated anime which is normal to have Huuge expections (fmab) and again fuk me up with childish behaviors.. (Because it tries to be mature but 100% fails.. i resisted until ep 43 so fma fans, u can t say anything)

I have personally not given up on it yet. 34 episodes in since last year and I'm trying to find the motivation to finish it. IT'S SO FUCKING BORINGGGGGGG.

Better for u if you will never find that motivation ahaha after ep 30 up to 43 is like 4 hours of banging the head against the wall.. i will never understand where that 9.27 came out from
Aug 16, 2016 5:38 AM
Aug 2015
kingfroggy said:
On_the_Lam said:

I have personally not given up on it yet. 34 episodes in since last year and I'm trying to find the motivation to finish it. IT'S SO FUCKING BORINGGGGGGG.

Better for u if you will never find that motivation ahaha after ep 30 up to 43 is like 4 hours of banging the head against the wall.. i will never understand where that 9.27 came out from

Don't tell me nothing happens during those episodes either. Wtf??
Aug 16, 2016 5:41 AM
Feb 2016
Do you only add anime to your dropped list after you've seen a certain amount?
Yeah, after I've seen one episode. I don't figure that it's worth adding stuff I've watched zero episodes of, and I don't really mind if people recommend them to me again...

Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through?
So far, I've dropped Saraiya Goyou and Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou over halfway through.
Aug 16, 2016 5:42 AM
Apr 2013
Pfft OP, I dropped countless anime just by looking at the thumbnail of the vid.
Aug 16, 2016 5:45 AM

Jun 2016
I don't know. in rl, i've seen a lot of anime. read a lots of manga. evenmore, i read a lots of ligt and web novel. there's a lots of things that i didn't add on my list. so i careless 'bout this stuff. clearly, everything that impress me were on my list but things that i hate. i don't even remember them muchless added onto my droplist. why your life is so complicated my friend?. . .
Mushoku Tensei is the best harem light novel out there and Rudeus is my man'. . .
Aug 16, 2016 5:47 AM

Aug 2014
How can you decide whether or not you'll enjoy a show based on the first 5-10min? That's not even 1/10 of the entire show. It's just silly to add something on your dropped list if you didn't even finish the first episode atleast.
Aug 16, 2016 6:04 AM

Dec 2015
I don't drop anime, the shit anime i watch usually is on purpose and it's short anime like dokuro-chan and I finish it to have it finished. Only dropped fairy tail cause it has 175 fucking chapters, but i think dropping a movie or dropping something without finishing first episode is kinda weird cause you can miss what it has to offer (if it has something)
For example, i'm watching no game no life now. I found the first episode kinda boring, and i though about dropping but days later i watched the second and i liked it way more. I think 3 episode rule is okay.
Aug 16, 2016 6:36 AM

Feb 2016
I'll only add it to my drop list if I made it through an entire episode at least, though I try to go for 3 or 4 before deciding to list it as dropped. I have quit an anime partway through the first ep, but I don't even bother listing it then.
Aug 16, 2016 6:38 AM

May 2010
I drop a heck lot of anime... ranging from 1 ep to several episodes to half to almost full season. They weren't even that bad. I dropped most of them because I lost interest, even the most popular ones. Some old 90s series were there because I never completed them during childhood. Sometimes I go back to my own dropped list and pick back a few things because my taste seems to change overtime.

I believe there's no need to feel bad about dropping shows. Tho if I'm already watching an episode for 5 mins, I dont see why I cant endure another 15 minutes of it.

I understand about movies tho. I'm currently trying to find the motivation to finish several movies like Bakemono no Ko and Santa Company, but since I'm planning to finish them eventually, they're still on PtW, not dropped.
Aug 16, 2016 6:54 AM

Jun 2009
I used to put anime in my dropped list when I was younger, but mostly after 4+ episodes ... if I decided to drop it after (or halfway through) the first episode, I wouldn't put it on my list at all.
Now I delete everything I drop from my list, including some things I have seen a lot of (Naruto or Bleach dropped after many many episodes).
Aug 16, 2016 7:01 AM

Aug 2016
I also drop anime, but never after 5 minutes. Currently watching Steins;gate and I'm at episode 7. I would probably drop it if it Steins;gate wasn't so highly recommended to me. I just wanna find out why it's so good for everyone else. Btw: of course you might not like attack on titan, but I still think you should give it a bigger chance since 5 minutes is so short. It's all up to you and your taste in anime in the end though.
~
this night has opened my eyes
and I will never sleep again
the dream has gone
~

Aug 16, 2016 7:02 AM

Nov 2009
164cm said:
I used to put anime in my dropped list when I was younger, but mostly after 4+ episodes ... if I decided to drop it after (or halfway through) the first episode, I wouldn't put it on my list at all.
Now I delete everything I drop from my list, including some things I have seen a lot of (Naruto or Bleach dropped after many many episodes).

But... why? Don't you want to make notes of anime you've seen a lot of?
Aug 16, 2016 7:09 AM

Feb 2016
On_the_Lam said:
kingfroggy said:

I tried so hard to format my brain and delete those eps ahaha but i failed, i still have nightmares.. do yourself a favour and drop that shit
Aug 16, 2016 7:13 AM

Jun 2009
flannan said:

But... why? Don't you want to make notes of anime you've seen a lot of?

I like to keep my anime list "clean" haha. Yeah, I know it's not useful at all, but I really don't care about those dropped titles anymore.
Seeing a lot of titles on my dropped/on-hold lists discouraged me from watching anything before. Now I'm into anime again and it works for me!
Aug 16, 2016 7:14 AM
Aug 2015
kingfroggy said:
On_the_Lam said:

I tried so hard to format my brain and delete those eps ahaha but i failed, i still have nightmares.. do yourself a favour and drop that shit

I would have dropped it around episode 15 if it wasn't the number 1 rated anime on this site. I feel like it's my duty to finish it, so I can rightfully shit on it later.
Aug 16, 2016 7:16 AM

Jul 2015
I try to watch 2 or 3 episodes of something before I drop it, but I also dislike dropping things, so I often will sit through something even if I don't like the first episodes.

Although I technically dropped Tatami Galaxy after the first ten minutes; not because it was bad, but the subtitles were too fast lol
Aug 16, 2016 8:15 AM

Dec 2014
I have dropped way more shows that are actually in my dropped list here on MAL, but a lot of them I never even finished one episode I am quite picky when it comes to anime so my dropped list would probably be at around (60+) shows so double in size I don't ask for recs much cos I find a lot people here on MAL aren't good at recommending things that I will actually like anyway so having my dropped list not exactly up to date is okay. I don't think it is a problem dropping movies either if your not enjoying it why finish watching it when you can spend that time watching something that you do enjoy. As for dropping popular anime I have a tonne of popular anime in my dropped list they just wasn't for me.
Aug 16, 2016 10:33 AM

Sep 2015
I dropped JK Meshi! before completing the first episode. I remember getting like 30 seconds in and realizing that the show wasn't what I thought it would be. As for dropping popular anime, I dropped One Punch Man 3 episodes in. I just couldn't get into it, the show never really grasped me and I gave it a fair chance. As my personal rule, I won't rate anything that I've dropped. It probably doesn't affect the overall rating but I believe that if I dropped something it's because it wasn't an anime suited to my tastes and it has nothing about it being poorly made. Anime that are truly bad I wouldn't watch in the first place anyways.
Aug 16, 2016 10:35 AM

Dec 2015
I only add dropped anime to my list if I watched a decent amount of it before dropping. I very often drop anime on the first episode, so my list would be overflowing with dropped anime if I added them.
Aug 16, 2016 10:43 AM
Jul 2016
I've dropped lots of shows, but I don't bother to keep track of them. I only keep a list of completed shows. I've only dropped one show without seeing at least one entire episode and that is a recent one. Mahou Shoujo Naria Girls.
Aug 16, 2016 10:46 AM

Aug 2015
I at least try to watch at least 1 episode before dropping something. If I can't even handle even 1 episode, then directly delete that shit from my list... Example : Tokyo Ghoul!
Aug 16, 2016 10:46 AM
Nov 2010
I don't add it to my list if I drop it because I don't have much of an opinion on it since I haven't seen much.
Aug 16, 2016 10:59 AM

Feb 2010
I don't really drop movies, the only exception was when the subs ended up so bad that it was literally unwatchable so I dropped it. But I left it at 1/1 on dropped. 0/1 kinda seems like you haven't even tried it and just put it there preemptively or for some other reason.

I have also dropped some TV shows after or during the first episode. Always seasonals that were missing tags and had vague synopsis that I ended up gravely misjudging. Like missing an ecchi/harem/shit tag in an otherwise potentially interesting synopsis. That's the most common reason. Rail Wars, Upotte, Busou Shinki come to mind. I also have a few shows on there I just checked out for some completionist reason. Like Super Sonico because at the time I was watching every White Fox anime that came out. Or the shitty Higurashi Kira OVA which I had to give a try because I've seen everything else from the franchise. And sometimes I just picked up every show that sounded remotely like it could have potential and then cut the ones that made me least curious after the first 1-3 episodes. That was back when I was overdosing on seasonals all the time.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 16, 2016 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
Personally i like to watch the whole first episode of a show before dropping it, because the first few mins can be misleading
However, when it comes to movies i simply drop it and dont even bother putting in the drop list.
Aug 16, 2016 11:10 AM

Mar 2015
I dropped psycho pass movie in 15 minutes
Aug 16, 2016 1:57 PM

Dec 2012
I try to keep track of my failures so that I don't try to go back and watch them again. Everything I tried and dropped is in my dropped list to the best of my knowledge anyway.

Even if it was an insta-drop where I just stopped watching partway through the first episode and knew it was not for me or had an extreme negative reaction to it. I usually just round up and leave it as one episode completed since a fraction of an episode is still more than 0 episodes. Doing that is not my norm though, I usually at least finish the entire first episode, sometimes 3-5 or more before I decide to drop it.
KruszerAug 16, 2016 2:00 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 16, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2013
i drop anime like no tomorrow that i don't even bother updating my dropped list anymore

i'll watch the second ep to see if it gets any better, but for the most part, if an anime doesn't interest me from the get-go then it's most likely gonna be dropped
Aug 16, 2016 2:11 PM

Jan 2012
I don't bother adding anime to my dropped list unless I've seen at least 3-4 episodes. No point in adding something to my dropped list when I didn't even give the first episode a full shot.
Aug 16, 2016 2:12 PM

Jul 2013
My dropped anime list only have anime that I dropped after finishing 1-3 episodes (except Kyou kara maou, but I'm reading the manga instead). Some anime are not on my dropped list because I'm putting it off watching them at all. Attack on Titan, Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note, etc.
A popular anime that I dropped really quickly was Guilty Crown. It was my first intro into the mecha genre and after an episode I really disliked it and avoided the genre in general.

I have a lot of stuff on hold though, that I haven't watched for months/years, but I might come back to those someday... maybe.
Aug 16, 2016 2:29 PM
Sep 2015
I don't currently have any zero episode drops (with the exception a movie). I have a habit of finishing the first episode no matter how bad it is, unless it's literally pain-inducingly bad. Even if I did do a 0 episode drop, I'd probably mark it dropped just to keep track.

If I think an anime is offensively bad and can be rated based on it's first episode, I'll drop it and rate it accordingly. If I simply do not find an anime interesting or it can't be rated based only on the first episode, I won't rate it.

If I've watched more than 3 episodes (of a 12 episode series), I'll rarely drop it. Once I'm over halfway through an anime, I feel obligated to finish it even if I don't like it. I usually just mark those as on-hold and try to finish them at a later date.
Aug 16, 2016 4:07 PM

Jun 2016
I think you should give a series a better chance. "Lucky Star" had a stupid first episode, but it was still great show overall.

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Aug 16, 2016 4:12 PM

May 2015
I only do it with seasonal stuff that I pick up.
I pick almost all the seasonal every time but because a lot of them shit and I'm lazy I drop most of them before even the first episode is finished.

If something was on my ptw for a long time or is over I'll give it like 3-4 episodes
Aug 16, 2016 5:59 PM

Jun 2009
Could not finish episode 1 of Kiss x Sis. So god fucking awful!
Aug 16, 2016 6:16 PM

Mar 2016
I add everything I make an attempt to watch because a list should help me keep track of these kinds of things (right?).
Aug 16, 2016 6:23 PM

Dec 2014
I dropped Absolute Duo and probably some other anime I don't remember halfway episode one.

I don't add them to my list whenever I do that.
Aug 16, 2016 6:33 PM

Sep 2015
I can see why you would add, but I personally would be to lazy to add an anime which I haven't even finished the first episode. Hell, sometimes I won't even add anime that I dropped after 5 or 6 episodes because I forgot to add them when I started watching. I've done that before with some anime (NGNL, Shirobako, ReZero...)
Aug 16, 2016 6:37 PM

Mar 2016
I don't think dropping an anime is really something to be proud of. Its only real purpose is to possibly return to a dropped show or not accidentally try it a second time.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Aug 16, 2016 6:37 PM
Jul 2009
it's totally fair to drop a show in one episode
i dropped the hyperdimension neptunia anime a couple frames after it started playing and i don't regret it one bit
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Aug 16, 2016 6:40 PM

Nov 2011
If it has more than one episode and it's on my dropped list without any episodes watched, that's more likely to mean "will not watch" than "dropped part-way through the first episode", but I'd likely note it in the tags either way.
Aug 16, 2016 7:11 PM

Apr 2007
I have to have seen at least the first episode. There are a couple of shows that I started watching, realized quickly they are not for me, and dropped partially through the first episode but I didn't add them to my list. If I can't make it through one episode I won't even bother.

Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of?
I don't bother rating anything I drop either. I don't really dwell on how a dropped show would rate.

Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through? Do you even drop anime?
I drop a lot of anime and that includes some that I've watched the majority of. Reasons vary a lot. Some like Inu Yasha I got bored of how repetitive it was. Others like Rurouni Kenshin I couldn't force myself to watch any more. I dropped Bubblegum Crisis 2040 because I was never able to get my hands on the last DVD. Years later a friend got a copy and loaned it to me but by that time I forgot pretty much everything about the show up to that point. I tried to watch but got lost quickly and decided to leave it as dropped since I was in no mood to rewatch the entire thing.

What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?
I don't think nothing of it. Everybody is different and may drop anime for many reasons.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 16, 2016 9:08 PM

Jan 2016
A lot of anime I've dropped is just like that.... The record is 3 minutes with Active Raid.
Aug 16, 2016 9:13 PM
Aug 2016
Generally I will either drop at the first episode or I'll watch all the way through. I tend to stick to 12-24 episode shows so it's not the end of the world if I watch something that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. If I don't make it through the first episode I won't put it on my dropped list though, just because there is a chance I'll go back and give it a second chance.
Aug 16, 2016 9:39 PM
Mar 2016
Do you only add anime to your dropped list after you've seen a certain amount? Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of? Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through? Do you even drop anime? What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?

I rarely do drop anime but I do drop even I haven't even watched a full minute of an episode (Seikon no Qwaser). And I add those anime to my drop list. I want my list to be as truthful as possible so I have to include those even though I watch it in an insignificant amount of time.
But my drop list is just a useless category since it's just a on-hold list with dislike and my motto in anime watching is "finish what you started but there is no need to finish it ASAP". I may watch those later if I'm motivated enough to watch those.
I don't care that much about people dropping popular anime movies. If they got bored and they don't have a so-called patience, let them drop them. That's their life. But they should take the responsibility of doing so especially since they are expected to receive bashes.
Aug 16, 2016 9:42 PM

Jun 2011
I add most anime I watch. Even those I drop part way through the first episode. Mostly as a reminder DO NOT WATCH THIS.

Oh there were questions.

I add everything But I usually push through the first episode. I think there was one show I only made it 18 minutes in. I could not watch any further.

Have you rated any anime in your dropped list that you've seen less than 1/5 of?
Yup. I rate a lot of things. It just more me keeping tabs on how shit the show was. I run an anime club. I need to keep tabs.

Have you ever dropped an anime more than halfway through? Do you even drop anime?
I think so- if I make it halfway and drop probably do to life I dropped it and never got interested in it again. Kinda like what happened to Naruto. I like it but it is dropped I guess for now? Maybe I will feel like watching long running shonen again soon. . And I am the drop master. Drop it like it's hot. Drop like no tomorrow. If I hate it... I rate it and trash it.

What do you think about people who drop anime movies or put popular anime in their dropped list that they haven't seen much of?

I figure they just want to make sure they don't watch again. :/ Shouldn't rate anime movies on account of it screwing with their score. Just put a note next to it. But shows you have seen less than 1/5th of... don't count in the score. If someone hates something they need to let reccers know, they need to remind themselves why they dropped it.
Energetic-NovaAug 16, 2016 9:50 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 16, 2016 9:44 PM

Apr 2014
Usually im extremely good at finding anime I know i will enjoy. From a 5-10 I will not regret any anime i watched. Maybe below that and we have bad anime that i made a mistake. But I wouldnt drop an anime.

Seems like you wanted to watch AoT because of other ppl. Personally I know that FMA isnt my cup of tea just because of the type of anime it is. So im not gonna even give it a chance to drop it. But i feel where ur coming from.
Aug 16, 2016 9:49 PM
Dec 2015
I refuse to drop a series after the first episode. My philosophy is that I need to really know if the series is for me or not by watching as much as I possibly can. I will only drop a show if:

- I've watched it to around the half-way point and feel like I won't/don't enjoy the show and it will be a waste of my time

- I haven't reached half-way yet but have watched multiple episodes and it is just torture to watch anymore

- If it is a long series (more than 26 episodes for me), I will watch a significant amount of the series but don't have to hit half.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

10 by Theo1899 »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

10 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

51 by luckyrune »»
21 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

22 by Spunkert »»
29 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

27 by Prupel1 »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.