Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2016 12:31 AM

May 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Woah that was an unexpected Revelation. For a second there I could have sworn I heard garma scream like a little GIRL WTF. I do wonder when I'll get to see another char type character on gundam who will surpass or even be on par with him. As for the show in general pacing was great everything unfolded splendidly I do wish they could have made it into a series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2016 3:13 AM

Sep 2015
so whole UC war was caused by 1 man called Casval i have no coment

next movie is last and Amuro finally join the movie?
Into the Internet!
May 21, 2016 9:45 AM

Dec 2015
Interesting to see the author decided to add some original content and demonstrate Casval's trickery with all the Fernandez plot (this mini story around Char Aznable's old classmate from Texas wasn't in the manga)
The OAV was as good as always BUT there were so many 3D CGI elements. I can understand the vehicles moves are easier in this form, but rooms, landscapes in CGI weren't pretty. The worst was all the instances where people were CGI (not background characters, but ones on the foreground) like Garma and his audience toward the end, or the flying cadets, etc.

3.5/5

@ListAandM They actually choosed to reduce Casval's implication in the One Year War start in this animated adaptation. Yasuhiko had made his role a lot bigger in his manga, I think.

Amuro doesn't appear much in the adapted chapters who are focused on Char and the Zabi's preparation, just a bit more in the last chapters from the "past story" who have been confirmed as the next adapted ones. And if they want, there are also some special chapters about Amuro (at school, before the Gundam incident).

I sure wish the next wave of OAVs will be successful enough to guarantee more OAVs adapting the 0079 retelling volumes. (I know it is wishful thinking)
Rei_IIIMay 28, 2016 5:31 AM
May 21, 2016 10:47 AM
Nov 2012
Another fantastic episode! I really hope they continue to adapt the full Origin manga once all the OVAs are done (I know we're getting the Battle of Loum, but I still want more!) On a sidenote, why do the characters' ages feel off? I mean Char is supposed to be like 20 in the original series, yet the way he's depicted makes him feel much older (Yeah, I mean nothing new to Gundam, but still).
May 21, 2016 11:19 AM

Nov 2011
Good episode especially the second half of the episode. This kinda makes me want to check out the original and compare as I heard there are original content in this episode?

Loved that ED theme song.
May 21, 2016 11:41 AM

Dec 2015
@prtorpedo The age of several characters was altered by Yasuhiko for his chronology. Char is 19 in Tomino's story but he's 21 in The Origin at the beginning of the story (the Side7 incident).

Anyway, his revenge lust leads hm to build plans who make him look a bit more "mature" than his age.

@Stark700 I resumed the differences in my above post. I can add that there was a slight joke during the diplome ceremony: while Dozle was saying his speech, some students let a "Pick it up" come out to embarass the Federation Forces representant. Other than that, I didn't find anything (I checked the book to be sure)
May 21, 2016 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
Rei366 said:
@Stark700 I resumed the differences in my above post. I can add that there was a slight joke during the diplome ceremony: while Dozle was saying his speech, some students let a "Pick it up" come out to embarass the Federation Forces representant. Other than that, I didn't find anything (I checked the book to be sure)

I see, thanks ;)

Might rewatch that part later again.
May 21, 2016 12:41 PM

Apr 2012
Rei366 said:

@ListAandM They actually choosed to reduce Casval's implication in the One Year War start in this animated adaptation. Yasuhiko had made his role a lot bigger in his manga, I think.

Plus it doesn't really fit Char's character at this point in the manga. He may not like the federation, but he has no interest in starting a war between the Federation and Zeon. His only interest is getting revenge on the Zabis.

I think the decision to remove the asteroid in the OVA was so that sunrise would not have to animate all the stuff involving it from the manga.

ListAandM said:
so whole UC war was caused by 1 man called Casval i have no coment

Not really, the Federation and Zeon were heading down the war path long before the "Dawn Rebellion". Plus its clear that the last thing Gihren wants is peace with the Federation. At worst this incident sped things up.
May 21, 2016 12:54 PM

Dec 2015
@Zetatrain I see. That's why I didn't write it as the truth but as an interpretation.
It is never stated but:
-Where'd you get this data? (the meteroid course)
- I gained access to the monitoring station, the Fed one.
(warning: english translation)
After all, the next event is him using the resulting riot as an excuse to make the spark that is likely to accelerate the war start process. (I saw that as a way to approach more easily the Zabi as the soldier he was becoming while undermining their power)
May 21, 2016 2:02 PM

Apr 2012
For those who are unaware
More episode(s) for the Origin have been confirmed
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-21/gundam-the-origin-ends-char-arc-with-part-iv-in-fall-starts-arc-on-battle-of-loum-in-2017/.102348
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-21/gundam-the-origin-iv-and-loum-arc-teased-in-visuals/.102358
Episode 4 to cover events up to the end of Vol.6
Battle of Loum arc green lit for 2017

Rei366 said:
@Zetatrain I see. That's why I didn't write it as the truth but as an interpretation.
It is never stated but:
-Where'd you get this data? (the meteroid course)
- I gained access to the monitoring station, the Fed one.
(warning: english translation)
After all, the next event is him using the resulting riot as an excuse to make the spark that is likely to accelerate the war start process. (I saw that as a way to approach more easily the Zabi as the soldier he was becoming while undermining their power)

The way I see it he used the attack on the Federation garrison to gain attention of someone in the military and this would help him rise though the ranks. And in the end he did gain the attention of someone, Dozel Zabi. Accelerating the path to war was probably at best an added bonus rather than his primary purpose for instigating the attack on the garrison. After all the Federation and Zeon were already heading down the war path.

I still don't think he had anything to do with the asteroid and that the events that followed (the riots and the garrison attack) was just the result of Char taking advantage of the situation.
ZetatrainMay 21, 2016 2:09 PM
May 21, 2016 2:27 PM

Jul 2010
Another great episode, even though I liked the second episode I ended up liking this much more. Can't wait for the next episode/s.
May 22, 2016 2:05 AM

Jan 2009
what an episode that was, man Char is so evil but a genius especially on backstabbing people lol, he killed 2 people that can be his friends in order to protect himself

meanwhile Amuro Ray is here, im glad that they gonna adapt the rest of the story, i thought this will end in just 4 episodes alone

May 22, 2016 3:50 AM

Mar 2016
Rei366 said:
The OAV was as good as always BUT there were so many 3D CGI elements. I can understand the vehicles moves are easier in this form, but rooms, landscapes in CGI weren't pretty. The worst was all the instances where people were CGI (not background characters, but ones on the foreground) like Garma and his audience toward the end, or the flying cadets, etc.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at this. Nobody is crazy enough to animate characters in Flecktarn uniforms by hand, which is why the uniforms in Gate change for no apparent reason after the first few episodes. I thought it looked pretty good.
May 22, 2016 4:07 AM

Feb 2008
Char is quite the cunning bastard, isn't he. Not that I disapprove, however. How he manipulated Garma in to doing his bidding was priceless, not to mention this line:

I also rather enjoyed the brief insight of mobile suit development and introduction of Dr Minovsky. Looking forward to the next dose of Origin!
May 22, 2016 5:42 AM

Jan 2010
Aaand any charm Casval had in the first two episodes goes out of the window. He has no regard for human life at all - he's a monster really :o ! It was cool to see that Minovsky invented not only the particles but functional MS too.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
May 22, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2014
It's getting interesting! Char is sure evil genius, I feel bad for the real Char and Lino .__.
He calmly killed those two but still care for Garma. Not sure if that is his strategy befriending him though
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
May 22, 2016 7:43 AM

Dec 2015
@ScienceGirl

In another situation, Garma "would have been a good friend". (Casval/Char, 0079)
Rei_IIIMay 22, 2016 11:27 AM
May 22, 2016 10:59 AM

May 2015
Rei366 said:
@ScienceGirl

In another situation, Garma "would have been a good friend". (0079)

I wouldn't be friends with someone that squeals like a little girl LOL.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2016 8:30 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
My god Casval is the definition of a cold hearted savage lol
May 22, 2016 8:51 PM

Apr 2009
casting Tetsuya Kakihara as Garma Zabi brings the homo levels to max
May 23, 2016 3:01 AM

Apr 2012
Great episode!
Never trust Casval, he killed two friends in the course of this 1 hour ova..
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

May 23, 2016 9:37 AM

May 2015
Kotori_Sonoda said:
Great episode!
Never trust Casval, he killed two friends in the course of this 1 hour ova..

What do you expect from the RED COMET :))
May 23, 2016 10:36 AM

Aug 2014
Meh. Lino was never a friend, and Char was Kycilia.

Another half year for my sweet Lalah.
Sieg Zeon!
May 23, 2016 1:22 PM

May 2015
Finally, great to see the person who the Minovsky Particles was named after...

Casval (sorry, I don' t want to die) °﹏° Char must have read The Count of Monte Cristo as a child; he clearly is a fan...
May 24, 2016 8:07 AM
Aug 2015
So far this is my favorite of the Origin OVA. Char being a bit of a sociopath is no surprise. That's how he was in 0079. His ultimate goal is revenge and anyone who might interfere has to be dealt with. And you know he does have some regrets about the things he does and therefore does what he does in Zeta. I won't spoil it. It all fits well.The only real stretch for me so far is the Casval twin, real Char....but ultimately I'm a fanboy and love everything about it.
May 24, 2016 9:19 AM

May 2015
SleepingBear79 said:
So far this is my favorite of the Origin OVA. Char being a bit of a sociopath is no surprise. That's how he was in 0079. His ultimate goal is revenge and anyone who might interfere has to be dealt with. And you know he does have some regrets about the things he does and therefore does what he does in Zeta. I won't spoil it. It all fits well.The only real stretch for me so far is the Casval twin, real Char....but ultimately I'm a fanboy and love everything about it.

I'd be very much disappointed If they were to make him like Rau Le Creuset. LOL
May 24, 2016 12:01 PM
Aug 2015
zurgboy00 said:
SleepingBear79 said:

I'd be very much disappointed If they were to make him like Rau Le Creuset. LOL

Haha, right? That'd be horrible.
May 24, 2016 1:12 PM

Dec 2015
@zurgboy00 @SleepingBear79 What is the problem with this Char double?
May 27, 2016 11:41 AM
Aug 2015
Rei366 said:

Well, to be fair, there's nothing wrong with Le Creuset. I'm just part of an older generation that fell in love with First Gundam before Seed came to be. I've watched Seed and it certainly has it's moments but it's merely a case of me being in love with First Gundam and "nothing ever living up to the original." No offense meant to those that appreciate Seed more than myself. If you're a gundam fan then I consider us friends. :)

Unless you were talking about the Casval look-a-like "Real Char." I just find it hard to believe that Casval just happened to run into someone that looks exactly like him minus the eyes. But I've convinced myself that this was Casval's destiny and it had to happen that way. It helps me sleep at night.
May 27, 2016 11:44 AM

May 2015
SleepingBear79 said:
Rei366 said:

Well, to be fair, there's nothing wrong with Le Creuset. I'm just part of an older generation that fell in love with First Gundam before Seed came to be. I've watched Seed and it certainly has it's moments but it's merely a case of me being in love with First Gundam and "nothing ever living up to the original." No offense meant to those that appreciate Seed more than myself. If you're a gundam fan then I consider us friends. :)

Unless you were talking about the Casval look-a-like "Real Char." I just find it hard to believe that Casval just happened to run into someone that looks exactly like him minus the eyes. But I've convinced myself that this was Casval's destiny and it had to happen that way. It helps me sleep at night.

There must be something more in-depth going on.It would be too bad If he just existed to move casval's story.
May 27, 2016 12:41 PM

Dec 2015
@SleepingBear79 I was wondering what were le Creuset bad caracteristics who better not taint Casval. ^^
Because I don't really know this character. I tried to watch the show back when it was all the trend but stopped around the middle because:
1) it was too annoying (no interest in the teens) or painful to watch/hear
2) I wanted to watch the main Gundam UC segment since I was 10 and the more I was reading about Seed while watching it, the more I felt like I was actually spoiling my future enjoyment of the original. So I dropped it and waited for 10 years more before reading The Origin. (total wait time ~ 17years)
Please consider us instead 79 friends. :)

@zurgboy00 I meant Le Creuset. What means make Casval like him? (I don't know this Le Creuset)
But about Char Aznable (the character created by Yasuhiko for The Origin), he was only a tool for the story and to depict Casval as being able to kill anyone he can be friendly for real with if it serves his goals. He is done. Point.
He was just a lame excuse for Casval change of name and semi-disappearance on the Zabis radar. It can seem a pretty bad writing but it is later better supported (later means in the manga "present" part toward the end of the 0079 story). That does not mean the idea is good (at least, Dumas novel had a logical look-a-like). I just accepted it (like the sleeping bear said above).
May 28, 2016 6:19 AM
Aug 2015
Rei366 said:
@SleepingBear79 I was wondering what were le Creuset bad caracteristics who better not taint Casval. ^^
Because I don't really know this character. I tried to watch the show back when it was all the trend but stopped around the middle because:
1) it was too annoying (no interest in the teens) or painful to watch/hear
2) I wanted to watch the main Gundam UC segment since I was 10 and the more I was reading about Seed while watching it, the more I felt like I was actually spoiling my future enjoyment of the original. So I dropped it and waited for 10 years more before reading The Origin. (total wait time ~ 17years)
Please consider us instead 79 friends. :)

@zurgboy00 I meant Le Creuset. What means make Casval like him? (I don't know this Le Creuset)
But about Char Aznable (the character created by Yasuhiko for The Origin), he was only a tool for the story and to depict Casval as being able to kill anyone he can be friendly for real with if it serves his goals. He is done. Point.
He was just a lame excuse for Casval change of name and semi-disappearance on the Zabis radar. It can seem a pretty bad writing but it is later better supported (later means in the manga "present" part toward the end of the 0079 story). That does not mean the idea is good (at least, Dumas novel had a logical look-a-like). I just accepted it (like the sleeping bear said above).

@Rei366 I shall consider us 79 friends then :) First Gundam is my favorite, it's my Star Trek or my Star Wars. I agree about Seed. I had to force myself to get through most of it. I think when comparing the Origin and this existence of a Casval look-a-like, Char, the story is still so much better than anything Seed ever wanted to be. You are probably right about it potentially spoiling your future enjoyment. Very wise decision.
Le Creuset is simply a standard Char clone for an alternate gundam universe, except he's got nowhere near the skill or intrigue, or...really anything in comparison to the Char we all know and love beyond blonde hair and a mask. They essentially attempted to mimic Char's characteristics and even did the whole side switcheroo like Char in Zeta or...excuse me, Quattro. Le Creuset is just a terrible attempt at making a char clone, the guy has zero allegiances and hates everyone, whereas Casval actually has real psychological damage and motivation to do the things he does and always maintains a stance in the war whether it be for the liberation of the colonies or the protection of the earth as a habitable planet. I hope I explained that alright. Maybe someone else could help, but that's why I don't appreciate Le blah blah and hope with the origin they don't do anything that alters the motivations and personality of Char from First Gundam in a bad way. I'm still early on in the Origin manga.
May 28, 2016 4:26 PM

Aug 2007
Top notch. It's Origin and Thunderbolt that have made me excited to be a Gundam fan again after all these years of mediocrity.

Jun 4, 2016 11:50 PM

Aug 2008
Great episode. Good action. And there's no Gundam(mobile suit) action but it's still brilliant.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jun 8, 2016 2:10 AM

Feb 2014
People saying Char is solely responsible for the war is a little bit silly. Tensions between Spacenoids and Earth Federation were already high and the first major event was the Federation vessel refusing right of way to Spacenoid vessel resulting in a catastrophe. Then peaceful rioters, wanting independence, being shot by the federation. Char simply added gasoline to the fire.

I am absolutely loving this series. So far its been perfect for me.
Jun 9, 2016 7:20 AM

Dec 2015
@eXtacy67 Actually, the discussion about Char's higher responsibility share was about the manga event who was replaced with the incident you describe. Sorry, it's my fault and it came probably from an over-interpretation on my part.

Anyway, in any version, like you said, he simply accelerates the escalation.
Rei_IIIJun 22, 2016 3:27 AM
Jun 19, 2016 4:24 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Goddamn Casval you brutal.

He didn't hesitate at all to kill his friends so he could gain anything he needs.

Truly a vengeful man.

So there is a reason why he keeps wearing visor, but it seems his eye abnormality is cured during Char's Counterattack.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 20, 2016 9:28 AM

Aug 2014
RayAdha said:
So there is a reason why he keeps wearing visor, but it seems his eye abnormality is cured during Char's Counterattack.

He made that shit up. He wears glasses because his eye color is different from the real Char Aznable. According to Origin at least. Prior to Origin, e.g. CCA, the filthy liar just really likes his shades.
Sieg Zeon!
Jun 25, 2016 10:34 PM

Nov 2012
eXtacy67 said:
People saying Char is solely responsible for the war is a little bit silly. Tensions between Spacenoids and Earth Federation were already high and the first major event was the Federation vessel refusing right of way to Spacenoid vessel resulting in a catastrophe. Then peaceful rioters, wanting independence, being shot by the federation. Char simply added gasoline to the fire.

I am absolutely loving this series. So far its been perfect for me.

yup exactly what I think too
Jul 5, 2016 4:41 AM

Jul 2011
Damn, Char. No chill #whatsoever.
"It is the emptiness that make the stars bright."

"If you've known pain and hardship, it is easier to be kind to others."
Nov 1, 2016 4:22 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Does anyone know when I the dub for ep 3 will be out?
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 9, 2016 3:05 AM

Dec 2015
@Tracer_Senpai Doesn't Bandai do the dubbing even before the release of each OAV?

Anyway, if the dub is available, be aware that every OAV made will be available for free on DAISUKI.
DAISUKI said:
To celebrate the streaming start of Vol. 4, streaming of Vol.1 to 3 will be available worldwide for free starting November 18, 12:00pm (JST) until December 17, 11:59 (JST), except in Japan and China.

@Tracer_Senpai Like I thought, the OAVs are dubbed before the (worlwide) release day. That's why you can watch every trailer/preview before the dates either subtitled or dubbed in english: (I suppose the japanese BrD even features it)

Check DAISUKI, you'll see each OAV available in both versions.
Rei_IIINov 13, 2016 3:33 PM
Nov 9, 2016 1:58 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Bandai USA tanked a while back I thought? The first two eps are dubbed, but nothing on 3 or 4 that I've seen.
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Nov 17, 2016 9:09 PM
Oct 2015
Another solid episode. RIP my sides when Char pulled off that fencing mask and was still wearing the shades. Solid movie, nice to see how Char took the moniker on as well as get the mask. Str8 cut throat motherfucker tho man. Blonde hair, blue eyes... he would make a great Lannister. I hope they adapt the whole manga man the team behind this are doing a bang up job. I heard something about them adapting the next arc, are they just doing the next one or did they say they will adapt the whole series?
Nov 18, 2016 12:40 PM
Sep 2016
I don't quite get Charr's motives. The zabi family killed his mother. Why he join the Zeon military. He'd be better off siding with the feddies.
Nov 18, 2016 4:15 PM

Feb 2013
Way better than the first gundam anime. Loving watching Casval "befriend" Garma (knowing what happens later).

Casval is a really good anti-hero/villain. He's starting the war.
Nov 20, 2016 6:32 AM

Dec 2015
@reiko4509 He's simply applying Edmond Dantes strategy here. He wants to circulate among his preys in order to take revenge when the best occasions arise. The war climat will only help him to gravitate in the right circles by using his soldier status.

@MikeFromThe516 Only the next part was announced, because it is another batch of chapters of original content. I doubt that they will animate all the The Origin continuity, but it would be great indeed to get the better fixed version of 0079 (despite the death of cell animation). Let's hope the next wave of OAVs will earn enough money to persuade them to make the main story bit by bit (in the same format, a TV show would be a bad idea)
Nov 21, 2016 7:45 AM

Nov 2011
Put simply, this OVA is roughly a further insight into the controversial figure of Casval, pardon Char (so I will not be the victim in his anger. XD), in a given period and a further analysis of the Zabi family. It will not be exhaustive, but is satisfactory. But the greatness of the direction, was to be able to carry on at the same time, the story in general.

Rei366 said:
Interesting to see the author decided to add some original content and demonstrate Casval's trickery with all the Fernandez plot (this mini story around Char Aznable's old classmate from Texas wasn't in the manga)

3.5/5

Amuro doesn't appear much in the adapted chapters who are focused on Char and the Zabi's preparation, just a bit more in the last chapters from the "past story" who have been confirmed as the next adapted ones. And if they want, there are also some special chapters about Amuro (at school, before the Gundam incident).

I sure wish the next wave of OAVs will be successful enough to guarantee more OAVs adapting the 0079 retelling volumes. (I know it is wishful thinking)

So, I will have to review the OVA, because I have not noticed all this abuse of CG, and read to force the manga, because the transposition is not so crystal clear.
Nov 21, 2016 8:06 PM

Dec 2008
Char (Casval) is ruthless as fuck!! Understandably so. Considering his past, he's just raping the system/faction that's raped him.
Jan 1, 2017 6:41 PM

Feb 2012
Zeon planned the collision with the EF ship to destroy their own agricultural block, didn't they?

Nice to see the ancestor of Pegasus-class when Garma and Char were collecting the debris

Char Aznable is cunning as fuck.

Fortress_MaximusJan 1, 2017 6:52 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 6 Discussion

Led_Wayline - Aug 8, 2018

27 by Aizakira »»
Jan 19, 6:32 AM

» Why did that 🤡 Declare war instead of making Peace Negotiations?

Perfectly_Balanc - Nov 5, 2023

4 by Armio »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 5 Discussion

Tokoya - Sep 27, 2017

49 by HadToDoIt »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:17 AM

» For direct sequel watch Gundam Zeta

Destined321 - Sep 28, 2023

16 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fortress_Maximus - Oct 24, 2015

63 by DoisacChopper »»
Sep 28, 2023 6:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.