Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 7:57 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A fine conclusion. Or an exquisite inception.

Given the enormous challenge of depicting the Battle of Loum, the production team definitely did a fine job. It was a fascinating spectacle which struck a fine balance between mobile suit and fleet combat. Computer graphics, while abundant, were executed well and did not bother me a bit. It was definitely something that was consistent throughout Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin.

I also found the various little details surrounding the battle quite intriguing, particularly Dozle's moment of silence after mopping up the remnants of Revil's fleet. The scale and devastation that the fog of war revealed was awe-inspiring. Even seemingly minor characters had a distinct role in the aftermath. However, warfare was not the only thing that piqued my interest in this episode.

Wars begin when politicians fail, but politics never ceases. A glance behind the closed curtains of the Zabi empire was interesting, as was Revil's revelation of the multitude of issues hindering the Principality of Zeon. I cannot blame Degwin for his outburst, I bet he was not expecting anything of the sort when the sovereign authorised Revil's escape. In that regard, Char's remark on his troops almost ruining a brilliant bit of political theatre was spot on.

(M'Quve was also an intriguing fellow. It was a bit of a shame that the invasion of Earth was only given a passing glance. Then again, it could not be helped.)

As for the man in red himself, he was, as always, as dashing as he was cunning. Witnessing the Tri-Star's chagrin due to Char stealing the limelight was amusing. His confrontation with Garma also brought a grin to my face. Then again, Char is undeniably a person that does not need the aid of light in his endeavours.
Aug 12, 2018 10:26 AM
Aug 2009
I came away from it unsure how to feel. It was amazing, but I feel let down that there are no plans to animate the remainder of The Origin. The 1979 series is fantastic, yes, but I can't help feel that its a difficult watch for new viewers. Heck, they could have at least continued up until the departure of White Base from Side 7.
Oct 4, 2018 5:38 AM

Dec 2015
A fine and very consistent series.

Unfortunately, I was looking forward to so much more of the story, particularly Amuro's origin which I thought would have been adapted after all the talk of the Gundam. Guess i'll have to watch the original series to pick things up?
~
Dec 20, 2018 7:50 PM

Dec 2015
Limited worldwide broadcast on Gundam.info, very nice since they don't have anymore OAV release to promote:
Dec 21, 2018 2:40 AM

Aug 2016
last ova has been the least appealing one, yet as a whole its definitly a holy great experience. +6 Hours of pure war drama fun and one of the best anime I ever experienced.
MichaelJacksonJul 13, 2019 8:39 PM
:v
Jul 8, 2019 6:57 PM

Jul 2016
Always a good reminder that Gundam is my favorite franchise in all of entertainment. This was fan service done just right! Seeing behind the scenes of the Zabi family, how Char grew into the Red Comet persona, and to see Amuro, and the great Bright at the end (probably my favorite character in the franchise), was the perfect conclusion. I concur with previous posters that seeing the origins of Amuro would have been ideal, but this is what we got and I'm not going to complain.

I thought about re-watching all of 0079, but I've yet to view the movies, and watching a condensed version of the show is conducive to my current schedule, so I cannot wait!
Aug 1, 2019 3:31 AM

Dec 2012
Char arrives.
Oi! Megane, megane!
Napoleon and Hitler.
Char getting the bitches.
Statue oppai. Dem nipples.
Operation V.
lol at the robot coming out of the table.
Mirai and her father.
Amuro tells Kai to move.
Kisama! You don't kick Haro.
Haro is ashamed.
Sayla will go to Side 7.
Degwin is pissed.
Those 3 kids in the water.
Fraw in dat bikini! LAWD!
Amuro gets in the robot.
Dat ending.
White Base.
Bright.
Dat photo.
And now, Gundam begins...

And that was the end. It was good. Hamon is waifu.
RobAug 1, 2019 3:57 AM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Sep 21, 2019 6:06 PM

Jun 2014
I think they ended this series in a perfect way. Since some said the manga ending may invalidate the Zeta and CC. I'm not sure though I haven't read it myslelf.
The story telling was good and was easy to follow. The "Dawn of Rebellion" is my favorite part, the back booster thingy was so cool.

Im disappointed how this series portrayed Char's character. I just don't like the way how Char get the "Char" identity. I thought it would be more symbolic and I don't remember him having a God-complex. I know he want to avenge his family but does joining Zeon was the right choice? Was it really worth to kill a thousand? It just hard for me to believe that this psychopath Char and Quattro Bageena is the same person. The Char in this series was really an evil while Quattro was like a brother figure and formed a bond in Argama. I can't imagine this was the same man who gave a speech in Dakar and talked how evil the Titans is.
Probably

I hope I can understand him more by watching CC(later) and his ideology.

Onto the MSG movie trilogy to freshen my memory about One Year War.

7/10
Dec 10, 2019 10:18 PM

May 2015
Aw, man, we didn't even get to see this "Gundam" they keep talking about šŸ˜¶
Dec 25, 2019 4:16 AM
Dec 2008
Can this episode be found even?
Mar 18, 2020 7:19 PM

Dec 2017
BEST GUNDAM EVER, and best end to the beginning

Apr 2, 2020 8:15 PM

Feb 2012
So this is what I make of the Zabi family member's individual motivations:

Degwin would rather cause less bloodshed if it meant remaining in power. He fears what he sees in his son, Gihren, hence he tries to negotiate with Revil and is angered once the freed Revil didn't do what he wanted. In the same negotiation however, he seems to believe in Zeonism but in his discussion with Gihren he calls Zeon an evil spirit possessing his son.

Gihren wants enough destruction so no one could be able to rise up and overthrow him once he's in power, he's not even loyal to Degwin. In Degwin's eyes, it seems Zeon himself would become this anyway.

Kycilia is both a believer in the ideology of Zeonism and a loyalist to her father, so while she wants to invade Earth, which she calls a "Holy Land" in her discussion with M'Quve, she enacts Degwin's plan to counter Gihren's warmongering by returning Revil to the Federation.

She assassinated Sasro for assaulting her and those who have seen MSG or read the manga will know what she would do to Gihren.

Dozle is a family man.

Garma wants to impress the rest of his family.
Fortress_MaximusApr 3, 2020 5:47 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 13, 2020 11:48 PM

Jan 2009
"and now, Gundam begins"

gundam it goddamn it hopefully they animate the rest of it soon but they are gonna focus on Hathaway Flash movies for now though

spacenoids are the new species of humanity heh

Char is a cosmic warrior lol

Jun 19, 2020 7:54 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I don't think I was at the best position to enjoy these OVAs, but I still enjoyed them quite a lot.

This is definitely something you would dig more, after watching the original, especially if concerning Casval, not calling him Char cuz he killed the real one!
He is a dick, it is hard to like him if this is your first contact with the man, but sure an interesting one.

The final battle was really great.

OVA was long enough I had to watch it thrice.

My desire to watch the original gundam has risen now, but tbh, if they did this much... they could have remade the original one with proper modern animation.

Jul 20, 2020 9:26 AM

Aug 2017
Pretty amazing for being my first Gundam, it feels just like an introduction to a large franchise. I appreciate Char's development as a character and also appreciate that it shows all sides in this conflict.

I have some minor issues like there's conveniently another person very similar physically to Casval but casting aside that the plot could not have continued without it.

I'm going to watch the original Gundam later. Thanks for this introduction. 8/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 26, 2020 11:46 AM
Oct 2015
I just love the way that gundam criticizes war and totalitarian governments, like the part where Dewin criticizes Gihren's thoughts about war and being superior by comparing him to Napoleon and Hitler and how bitterly they failed for it.
Nov 18, 2020 4:40 PM

May 2014
Nurguburu said:
Pretty amazing for being my first Gundam, it feels just like an introduction to a large franchise. I appreciate Char's development as a character and also appreciate that it shows all sides in this conflict.

I have some minor issues like there's conveniently another person very similar physically to Casval but casting aside that the plot could not have continued without it.

They could've removed the nearly identical "Char Aznable" plot line all together though. It's just bad fanfiction from the author. The whole assassination attempt of Casval is silly. The assassins point out that Char and Casval are identical but don't try to detain and kill both in a stealthy way. Instead they blow up a whole transport with hundreds of people, because they didn't check the person's eye color first.

It also contradicts what we know from MSG. When Kycillia says she knew Char was Casval the entire time but didn't care.

Womp, womp. Char wank unchecked, gets wrecked.
Feb 9, 2021 10:19 AM
Jul 2017
Excellent.

Loved seeing the battle at Loum finally. That battle was brought up numerous times in the 0079 and to see it animated in the modern way was perfect. Federation really did get trounced. Those mobile suits really took them to task.

Was a good series. Definitely rewatchable.
Mar 24, 2021 5:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
An absolutely stellar prequel to one of the most classic series of all. The antiwar message carries on.
Very well directed and put together with a lot of love for the original. There's nothing else to do but to jump onto the original now. Would have wished for them to continue adapting the rest of Origin, but I guess they didn't want to step on the toes of MSG79-
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 7, 2021 7:51 AM

Jun 2014
This was pretty good, but not as good as 0079.

This contained more violence than the 1979 series, and while it wasn't too extreme, it was a bit bothersome at times. Also, at my age, I've developed a disdain towards politics and warfare, even when in fiction, so I honestly don't think that I can fully appreciate this kind of stuff anymore like I did a few years ago when I first got into Gundam.

Aug 23, 2021 8:12 AM
Aug 2019
That was great as a whole but this final ova episode was a bit underwhelming. And so Gundam begins nice to see the whole cast for the 0079 Gundam series introduced at the end. I really enjoyed watching it and particularly Casval grow to become the red comet.

Nov 1, 2021 9:04 PM

Dec 2014
I only ever watched OG 0079 from U.C Gundam when I was pretty young but watching this prequel now has lit the fire in me to go on and watch the rest of U.C Gundam. It'll probably take me a while but I'm definitely gonna watch it all. Not sure if I wanna rewatch the 0079 TV anime or watch the compilation movies instead but I'm probably going to go with the latter.

Great series on the whole, it's gonna be rough going back to old animation after being spoilt by origin but I'm sure it'll be fine.

9/10 for Origin.
Dec 13, 2022 3:54 PM
Oct 2021
That was an incredible beginning to kick off the UC
May 25, 2023 2:25 PM
Jan 2017
this was an amazing prequel to the original series and the fact that they went for an updated crisp yet original art tickles the tism quite nicely, an absolute must watch for any gundam fan and i really hope the do more even maybe remake the whole series (cross my fingers.
Sep 13, 2023 3:02 AM
Aug 2018
Fantastic episode that makes you feel like everything is coming to a peaceful conclusion... but then you remember this is Gundam. This is WAR. Just an awesome episode of anime.
Oct 5, 2023 8:20 PM

May 2021
Decent show, I definitely would like it more if I had watched any other Gundam material before, there were some flaws with the plot, characters and animation but in general, it does a great job introducing into the world of MSG, thanks to this I will watch other two MSG shows, Thunderbolt and War in the Pocket, the original series are big no for me, they don't attract me enough and I know that is more Shounen oriented, anyways this wil be a 6/10 for me.
Oct 19, 2023 1:43 PM
Oct 2023
And thus concludes my first finished Gundam series. I liked it a lot. Most of the characters were interesting, the action was a bit boring most of the time (though when it wasnt it was great) but there luckily wasnt too much of it. Some people here say that this series is glorifying Zeon but as a newcomer having only this series to build on i havent really come away with any kind of positive opinion of Zion.

Ral is a good man but also an idealistic idiot. If you like grilling but are anti-needless-violence but you keep being in the Grill-Party after they started randomly poisoning wells and pushing pregnant women down stairs then you are not really anti-needless-violence.

Dozle is someone who could have been a good man under different circumstances but his ability to rationalize killing innocent civilians this easily and quickly (Realization of guilt to Rationalization of past and fucture actions took like two minutes) means he wouldve always been one bad day away from being a monster.

Ghiren is literally Hitler.

Degwin wants to avoid innocent bloodshed and holds true to Zeons ideal, yet hed rather assassinate Zeon, you know, the founder of his own belief system, than do the same to his own son who has killed billions of innocents and plans on killing billions more, despite his death putting either one of his two more emotional and less bloodyhirsty sons or his loyalist daughter whod do what she tells him to into power and having a shot at truly fulfilling Zeons ideals.

Char is Char.

Not the greatest people, and while some are somewhat sympathetic,they are still clearly bad people.

If this show is putting Zeon in the best light, then i cant wait how cartoonishly evil they will become in Gundam proper.

Anyway, good show.
HadToDoItOct 19, 2023 1:50 PM
Jan 19, 6:32 AM
Sep 2023
Very good introduction at Gundam series

More topics from this board

» Why did that šŸ¤” Declare war instead of making Peace Negotiations?

Perfectly_Balanc - Nov 5, 2023

4 by Armio »»
Nov 7, 2023 2:53 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 5 Discussion

Tokoya - Sep 27, 2017

49 by HadToDoIt »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:17 AM

» For direct sequel watch Gundam Zeta

Destined321 - Sep 28, 2023

16 by Destined321 »»
Oct 11, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zurgboy00 - May 21, 2016

67 by DoisacChopper »»
Sep 28, 2023 10:21 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fortress_Maximus - Oct 24, 2015

63 by DoisacChopper »»
Sep 28, 2023 6:10 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.