Forum Settings
Forums

do you avoid friends if they get too political?

New
May 3, 2016 9:39 PM
Mar 2016
I had a friend but they became hardcore Democrat. they talked about politics too much and I had nothing in common with them anymore, so I stopped hanging out with them.

stuff like this ever happen to anyone else?

May 3, 2016 9:44 PM

Feb 2016
I can tolerate it if we're just having a conversation about the elections and who we support etc. but when it becomes a full blown argument on politics, I avoid it by all costs. Most of my actual friends don't even do that crap around me, I don't like it at all lol.
May 3, 2016 9:46 PM

May 2016
I genuinely have no interest in politics, but luckily neither do many of my friends.
May 3, 2016 9:47 PM

Sep 2015
I don't avoid them I just change the topic to something else.

I don't remember where I heard it but I've learned that the key to maintaining a large amount of friends is to never get into serious and long debates over money, politics, and religion.

Aside from that I'll talk for a few minutes about something along those lines with my friends as long as they don't say something stupider than what we already say to each other, which would be a real achievement.

Rarity is Best Pony!
May 3, 2016 9:49 PM

Jun 2015
I really don't have interest in politics, seeing as they hate both metal/rock & anime (2 things that I'm in love with). Whenever I want to talk about music with my friend (he doesn't know I'm an otaku lol), he just keeps ranting on about politics. He too is a democrat, and a serious one. It gets annoying, but we're still great friends.
May 3, 2016 9:50 PM

Jul 2012
are you a one man thread generator?

i tell them i refuse to talk about politics with them. if they can't respect that then they are not friends
May 3, 2016 9:51 PM

May 2015
I have a friend whos a steadfast Republican and we talk politics pretty often; debates can be fun at times but one everyday cant be good
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 3, 2016 10:06 PM
Mar 2016
Kewpie_doll said:
lol I guess. someone called me the god of successful threads the other day.

I just pop in here with random thoughts, drop 'em in a thread and wait for the autism entertainment

comments on here are pretty amusing
May 3, 2016 10:10 PM

Jun 2013
In my group of 15-16 yo friends... I'm particularly the only one that enjoys debating about politics. However, despite their strong conservative inclinations, (perhaps due to not much exposure to other opinions other that the ones of their parents), they usually end up agreeing with me when it comes to discussing about human rights, current affairs and liberal views.

So no, I don't avoid them, I convince them, persuasion. B)
May 3, 2016 10:11 PM

Jun 2015
Nasieir said:
In my group of 15-16 yo friends... I'm particularly the only one that enjoys debating about politics. However, despite their strong conservative inclinations, (perhaps due to not much exposure to other opinions other that the ones of their parents), they usually end up agreeing with me when it comes to discussing about human rights, current affairs and liberal views.

So no, I don't avoid them, I convince them, persuasion. B)

wow, I'm 15, can barely stand it, unless it's about terrorism
May 3, 2016 10:14 PM

Apr 2015
I don't avoid them. I avoid discussing with them the topic where their stand is completely opposite of that is mine.... in an extreme way.
#CHEXIT
May 3, 2016 10:15 PM

Nov 2011
I'd like to get a job in killing everyone who is far left
May 3, 2016 10:36 PM

Jan 2013
As long as if they aren't right wing, I can tolerate them. I actually like talking about politics btw.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2016 10:42 PM

Jun 2015
I don't mind them. But if they act like smartass, i'd rather avoid
May 3, 2016 10:47 PM

May 2016
YorKeY said:
Most people don't like to talk about politics or have any friends who do, and most of the time it's not cause " they don't like to talk about them " it's cause they don't know shit about them, and feel stupid, so " they don't like to talk about them. " Lol

Ah yes, the ole 'if you don't agree with my opinions you must be stupid' argument. A classic.
May 3, 2016 10:55 PM

Nov 2011
cumshotz said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
I'd like to get a job in killing everyone who is far left
i'm an far left radical marxist anarcho-communist. would you kill me waifu strangler? even with our disagreements about the sex pistols i'd like to think not.

Fine you can live. Date can live as well.
May 3, 2016 11:40 PM

Jun 2015
I've never really stopped hanging out with anyone because of opposing ideologies. I got this trait because our family dinners revolve around talks about economics, politics, philosophy, new science breakthroughs and everything in between.
May 4, 2016 12:48 AM
Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
cumshotz said:
i'm an far left radical marxist anarcho-communist. would you kill me waifu strangler? even with our disagreements about the sex pistols i'd like to think not.

Fine you can live. Date can live as well.

topkek

OT: I have left-leaning and right-leaning friends but no one forces me to talk politics with them.
May 4, 2016 1:03 AM

Apr 2016
Never. I always discourse and never argue, we are not that rigid in our political views and always welcome newer thoughts into the discussion.
May 4, 2016 1:37 AM

May 2014
Discussing topics like politics has caused so much friendship breakups, its so sad ...
we have a rule , its simple, everyone understands everyone's views from the start and no one tries to push their own views over the other afterwards, thats how you maintain friendships.

Sadly, in some cases the gap betwen opposing political views can be too great to allow people to be friends from the start, which is kind of understandable imo.
May 4, 2016 1:49 AM

Mar 2011
I have a friend that likes to bash Obama, but it's mostly rhetoric from unreliable sources. I like bashing politics with accurate facts. I don't have the energy to debate online, and irl; so I usually change the subject.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
May 4, 2016 1:50 AM

Apr 2015
I avoid political discussions yes.
May 4, 2016 1:55 AM

Jan 2015
all of my friend just bragging along about their political view, especially when they discussed hot topic or political event, in my country or abroad stuff that pick their interest. imo they're just show off, pretend to be badass and become sporadic"problem solver" when came time to act or kind of rl application, all of them just fuckin' hypocriteshopeless person... well i gues it's not different with ppl in d net, it's relieved stress to talk about, seems like that

in the end i just try avoid that kind conversation when it's look possible, but sometimes if i can't escape or stuck on th polemics their talk about, i just blend into one of them, another bragger...or did shitpostcomment.
karambiaMay 4, 2016 2:09 AM

la critique de l'intention pure
May 4, 2016 3:16 AM

Sep 2015
I only have one friend who even follows politics. I do enjoy hearing his perspective on it though. He doesn't go into full blown rants or anything; he's just been following the American politics, researching into all the candidates, etc. It's somewhat interesting. I get better and unbiased notion of what's happening from him than I do on the tripe that is social media.

But if he did start ranting about it all the time, then I'd definitely tell him to shut the fuck up about it.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 4, 2016 3:36 AM

Dec 2012
I usually pay no heed to all that stuff. I like letting people have opinions see?
May 4, 2016 3:44 AM

Jul 2015
Difficult to answer.
If that friend of mine was pretty close to me, it would be realy difficult to avoid him/her, since i don't want it.
But if things get annoying (since i don't have a big interest about politics) i could just say to him/her "stop talking about politics all the time" or something like that.
But if there is a topic which i can talk with, i have no problem doing it, as long as none of us goes the conversation too far away....
May 4, 2016 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
neither of my friends have any interest in politics and i don't either
but if they did, i think i'd avoid them
May 4, 2016 4:02 AM

Jan 2015
Uil3 said:
semss said:
all of my friend just bragging along about their political view, especially when they discussed hot topic or political event, in my country or abroad stuff that pick their interest. imo they're just show off, pretend to be badass and become sporadic"problem solver" when came time to act or kind of rl application, all of them just fuckin' hypocriteshopeless person... well i gues it's not different with ppl in d net, it's relieved stress to talk about, seems like that

in the end i just try avoid that kind conversation when it's look possible, but sometimes if i can't escape or stuck on th polemics their talk about, i just blend into one of them, another bragger...or did shitpostcomment.

No. When someone is giving you their political view, theyre trying to help you. You should always hear them out and listen to what they have to say
help me what o.O, give what? that's not the point dude, i know what the shit is, and it's not i more advanced than them, but i just came quick to realized their Started BS themselves and pretend to be a quiet listener busy-ing myself with phone or guitar in d hands, in other word be non-offended person in the table and calm down the feedback..
karambiaMay 4, 2016 4:06 AM

May 4, 2016 4:04 AM
Jul 2018
No, me and my friends (except one) all agreed Donald Trump is truly the god emperor

May 4, 2016 4:21 AM

Jan 2015
Uil3 said:
semss said:
help me what o.O, give what? that's not the point dude, i know what the shit is, and it's not i more advanced than them, but i just came quick to realized their Started BS themselves and pretend to be a quiet listener busy-ing myself with phone or guitar in d hands, in other word be non-offended person in the table and calm down the feedback..

sorry , i thought you were saying you ignore your friends when they talk about their political views but i understand what you mean now. So sorry. And what i meant by help is that theyre trying to convince you to come and join their side for when the day comes (purgatory)
owh i see. np dude, i realized the word "avoid" there could mean fully ignore or runaway from it, of course not, that's not polite, in asian ways xD ..
*not sure about that purgatory stuff, but trust my circle just did good best in bragging :D
karambiaMay 4, 2016 4:28 AM

May 4, 2016 5:37 AM

Apr 2016
Most social topics have a hint of politics or political ideology linked with it, so it's something that is unavoidable if you're venturing into such topics. I don't actively avoid talking about politics, but I do avoid talking about politics with people who are either on the far right or far left of the political spectrum as they aren't usually reasonable when it comes to hearing someone else's opinion.

Talking about politics all the time obviously is boring unless that's all you're interested in, so I get you wanting to avoid a person who only talks about politics all the time.

In all honesty, politics is an interesting subject to talk about and a subject where people have a wide variety of opinions on different political issues.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
May 4, 2016 6:18 AM

Jul 2014
Talking politics is fine with me... it's nice having friendly/casual debates over it with friends from time to time. But if any of them became that into it to the point that they want to argue or push their views on me, then no. I'll just tell them to just stop and keep their thoughts to themselves or save their opinions for a conversation with someone else.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 4, 2016 7:58 AM

Dec 2015
No. It is the opposite. I prefer people that talk about politics (as long as they don't talk about it all the time). They usually are more intelligent and interesting than people that only talk about uninteresting stuff like the weather.
May 4, 2016 8:06 AM

May 2009
Well if they talk about it non-stop it'll get irritating so I would probably assertively tell them to tone it down. (I will try to be nice). If they are passionate about it who can stop them? (well if they go too over the top as a nice friend one should kindly remind them to keep it to themselves if it affects others too.)

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

May 4, 2016 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
Well, if they get all political with me and i don't want to talk about it, then i'll annoy them by doing the same with a different topic. It'll look like we are constantly changing the subject on each other.

Since politics are uncomfortable, and i want to match that factor, i normally just start talking about sexual things. I can't complain as i enjoy the topic and it is a faraway topic from politics so they will have trouble linking the two subjects.
May 4, 2016 12:49 PM

Jul 2012
Alcoholic-san said:
Kewpie_doll said:

I just pop in here with random thoughts, drop 'em in a thread and wait for the autism entertainment

"someone" could be an 11 year old lol
May 4, 2016 1:34 PM
Mar 2016
If you ask me, as long as they don't force their ideas on me then it won't be a problem.
May 4, 2016 1:47 PM

Oct 2014
I avoid people or "friends" when they get too barbaric or ignorant, not when they have a certain political standpoint.

I'm willing to listen if they're/you're willing to talk like a rational and level-headed human being with common sense.
May 4, 2016 1:58 PM
Mar 2016
BeBackinaSec said:
I've never really stopped hanging out with anyone because of opposing ideologies. I got this trait because our family dinners revolve around talks about economics, politics, philosophy, new science breakthroughs and everything in between.
it's not even opposing ideologies, it's just talking about it too much to the exclusion of other stuff
May 4, 2016 2:00 PM
Mar 2016
Kewpie_doll said:
Alcoholic-san said:

"someone" could be an 11 year old lol
NasalShark, lol. no idea how old they are though
May 4, 2016 2:11 PM

Mar 2012
I would if they where democrats for sure...
May 4, 2016 2:14 PM
May 2016
For me personally, I've learned to just avoid those kind of conversations altogether. Of course, if I have a friend who is political, it doesn't bother me, but at the same time, I'll take a break away from them, that way I can hear about something else.
May 4, 2016 2:36 PM

Sep 2007
I avoid political conversations. They typical end with one person being upset or acting unreasonable. I have no problem befriending those with a different opinion. Most of my friends don't vote anyway.

My dad got angry just because I wouldn't tell him who I voted for. He doesn't vote. So why does he care? :D
Nek0May 4, 2016 2:39 PM

May 4, 2016 4:59 PM

Apr 2009
never happened to me so idk.
i think i'd be interested in hearing about what they have to say? but if politics turned into the only topic they ever talked about then that's a lil heavy
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.

More topics from this board

» What is the first thing you see in the morning?

Shizuna - May 11

42 by Nette »»
11 minutes ago

» Question about how demonic some colours are

LenRea - 52 minutes ago

3 by LoveYourSmile »»
12 minutes ago

» How long have you been using your accounts on your favorite sites?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

3 by Rhae »»
18 minutes ago

» Guys always finish last

MUFFlN - May 12

26 by traed »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » does height matter? ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jan 2, 2022

103 by Auron_ »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.