Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite Update and Anime/Manga Page Redesign with Background Info

New
Jul 13, 2015 2:14 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Hello everyone! We’ve added a new ‘Background’ section to the Anime and Manga pages. The goal for this new section is to provide additional encyclopedic information that may otherwise not fit in the Synopsis or ‘More Info’ areas. Example text for this section includes: history of the series, awards it may have won, or details on how this series may have impacted the industry or an individual's career. Users can now submit Background descriptions on anime/manga pages, so please join in and help us expand our database! This change is one of the first steps in our soon-to-come ‘Anime and Manga Page Redesign.’ We’ve fielded a number of suggestions for these pages over the years, and we’re excited to give them face-lifts.

We also posted an announcement some time ago asking for writers and editors to join our MAL Rewrite effort. I’m pleased to say that we received over 80 writer applications and 20 editor applications! Thank you everyone for such an amazing volunteering turn out! We’ve completed the editor applications and are now diligently working and evaluating the writer submissions. We hope to contact all applicants within the next week or so. For those that may have missed the original announcement, you’re still more than welcome to apply and join the effort. If writing is something you enjoy, head over to the MAL Rewrite Club for more information.

We’ve also got a number of other upcoming features for various areas around MAL! Keep on the look-out for more announcements.
XinilJul 13, 2015 2:31 PM
Jul 13, 2015 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Thank you for your hard work XD Finally, I can submit some "background" for my fav manga XD
Jul 13, 2015 2:37 PM

Nov 2011
Ooh, that's quite a lot of applications, more than I had expected anyways. Glad to see MAL improving more.
Jul 13, 2015 2:42 PM

Mar 2013
I've always understood the "More Info" as a tab that shares all other, major and database-wise necessary information. Have nothing against the new "Background" section, though I wonder if it will perhaps lower the general power the More Info section currently has (which isn't a lot to begin with). Then again, Background could be for everything product-related while More Info for everything database entry-related.

Thank you for the update.
Jul 13, 2015 2:54 PM

Jan 2009
at last there is an update from the MAL developers, thanks a lot, waiting for that redesign anime/manga pages
Jul 13, 2015 4:28 PM
Mar 2014
Thanks, Xinil. I'll try and submit some series backgrounds as I see fit.
Jul 13, 2015 5:47 PM

Jul 2010
Always excited for new information, sounds like an interesting premise.
Excited to see how the rewrite project is going on too, thanks for the update!
Jul 13, 2015 6:31 PM

Mar 2013
Hopefully we can get back the "Recently watched" section on the bottom of Anime/Manga/Novel pages that magically disappeared with the redesign.
Jul 13, 2015 7:51 PM

May 2015
SlickDragon said:
Hopefully we can get back the "Recently watched" section on the bottom of Anime/Manga/Novel pages that magically disappeared with the redesign.

On mobile it's still there
Jul 13, 2015 9:18 PM

Apr 2007
Not bad ^_^
Cant wait for future updates ^_^

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 13, 2015 11:39 PM

Jun 2014
hopefully you'll position it somewhere where i won't have to adblock it
:3
Jul 14, 2015 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
Thank you for the updates!
Jul 14, 2015 1:41 AM

Mar 2013
Thanks,
for keep making MAL better and better :)
Jul 14, 2015 2:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Is this what it feels like to be judged by God?
Jul 14, 2015 4:22 AM

Nov 2009
Happy to see all these nice changes :)

But I will never stop missing the club mail, spam for life :x
Jul 14, 2015 6:26 AM

Mar 2012
Would a series watching order fit under this section?

It'd help stop all those Ghost in the Shell/Monogatari/Gundam/Fate threads that like to pop up every once in a while (and in some cases, more than once a day).
Jul 14, 2015 6:49 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Subpyro said:
I've always understood the "More Info" as a tab that shares all other, major and database-wise necessary information. Have nothing against the new "Background" section, though I wonder if it will perhaps lower the general power the More Info section currently has (which isn't a lot to begin with). Then again, Background could be for everything product-related while More Info for everything database entry-related.

Same here

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jul 14, 2015 6:50 AM

Mar 2015
Hope to see the changes soon
Jul 14, 2015 6:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
yazio said:
Would a series watching order fit under this section?

It'd help stop all those Ghost in the Shell/Monogatari/Gundam/Fate threads that like to pop up every once in a while (and in some cases, more than once a day).
That would be a great place to put that kind of info actually

Just as long as you put it in a short yet very simple way
Jul 14, 2015 8:11 AM

Jul 2015
Great, the more updates it gets, the more better it gets :)
Jul 14, 2015 8:49 AM

Oct 2014
nice... :D

read from right to left
Jul 14, 2015 11:04 AM

Sep 2013
This is a cool new addition!
I have a suggestion to add to this; we should have a banner on each anime/manga page about the anime or manga. Users can make the banners, submit them, and then there could be a poll or something to decide which user's banner gets put up.
Jul 14, 2015 12:03 PM

May 2014
Oh nice, let's check some out.
Jul 14, 2015 12:58 PM

Aug 2008
That sounds exactly like something you would put under "More Info"...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 14, 2015 6:21 PM
May 2015
Nice, we would like to see MAL improve better :D
Jul 14, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
Sounds interesting. Nice to get an update on MAL Rewrite too.

I look forward to future developments.
Jul 15, 2015 4:13 AM

Apr 2011
Great job I'm loving the new stuff on here so far :)
Jul 15, 2015 12:05 PM

Dec 2009
alpha_shadow said:
hopefully you'll position it somewhere where i won't have to adblock it

I completely agree with this. I'm getting tired of having to fiddle with my custom MAL layout in order to fix your updates. Can you please move this to its own tab like you did the Clubs. It would make the page cleaner with less clutter to go through. Apart from that, I don't have any complaints with it, just it's placement. Just please move it to it's own tab.

Also, it would be nice if you asked us about these changes to the pages before you implement them. Get our input before going through with it so no one will end up mad or annoyed at you. That would be great.

Jul 15, 2015 2:30 PM

Mar 2010
Can I have some examples for Background info please? Has it been added/approved for some anime/manga already?
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Jul 15, 2015 5:56 PM

May 2012
Glad for the update, I still hadn't heard back and I was worried the project was dropped.
Jul 15, 2015 6:47 PM
Jul 2018
Predelnik said:
Can I have some examples for Background info please? Has it been added/approved for some anime/manga already?

I submitted some info for manga and it's mostly licensing info and awards and other adaptations. The moderators will edit it if you have a mistake or missing info, so don't worry. And you don't get notifications when they're accepted.

Anime: I haven't encountered any yet.
Manga: Death Note | Koukou Debut | And some Shojo Beat/Shonen Jump Advanced licensed manga out there
Jul 16, 2015 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
sevenPocky said:
Predelnik said:

I submitted some info for manga and it's mostly licensing info and awards and other adaptations. The moderators will edit it if you have a mistake or missing info, so don't worry. And you don't get notifications when they're accepted.

Anime: I haven't encountered any yet.
Manga: Death Note | Koukou Debut | And some Shojo Beat/Shonen Jump Advanced licensed manga out there

Looks good!

http://myanimelist.net/manga/21/Death_Note
http://myanimelist.net/manga/591/Koukou_Debut
Jul 29, 2015 5:23 AM

Nov 2011
Shioxus said:
Glad for the update, I still hadn't heard back and I was worried the project was dropped.
Same. I was starting to worry that I messed up sending the applications. (...which is still a possibility though, so not going to uncross these fingers anytime soon).

"Background" -section on a page seems useful, although I'd prefer if they were placed within the page's tabs.
Jul 29, 2015 4:46 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Kousoku11 said:
Shioxus said:
Same. I was starting to worry that I messed up sending the applications. (...which is still a possibility though, so not going to uncross these fingers anytime soon).

Looks like all the editors and coordinators that were accepted has been invited to join the club.

Nothing about the writers yet tho.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jul 29, 2015 5:07 PM

Aug 2012
Our first synopses after reboot have been uploaded! Check them out:
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Shiki

All Prospective Editors should have received a PM by the end of today! If you haven't gotten one in your inbox, send verdantly a PM or visit our IRC channel.

Prospective writers: Waiting to hear back from us? Check out our revised Content Guidelines and Writer Instructions to start preparing in advance!

Thanks for your patience :)
Aug 20, 2015 1:46 PM

Jun 2010
Hey... I'm resurrecting this thread, but with a good intention.

I've noticed MAL is going through a lot of changes recently, and this one in particular caught my attention. I really like the idea and maybe with it the site will regain some of the traffic it lost to clones like *cof* haruhichan *cof* and such.

But there's something which confuses me. How should reviewers proceed from now on?
In other words, how should Reviews interact with Background Info?
While writing a review, one focuses not only in the main question "should you watch/read this" but also tries to bring extra information that the reader wouldn't find in a quick Google search. That information would bring more color to the text, and turn a binary yes/no into several pros & cons.
With the creation of this new sub-section, I assume all this extra stuff is supposed to go on Background... Or could I still leave it on my review and then repeat it on the Background area? If so, with the constant shift in the top 4 reviews, it's easy to conclude writing Background Info is more helpful than reviewing, and much more rewarding, given that it will always stay on the front page.
Not trying to shift the focus away from 'Background Info' itself, don't get me wrong, but with this situation in mind I'm also forced to ask another question: what does the future hold for reviews here on MAL?

PS: Congrats to the staff for the Rewrite reboot. I've missed those synopsis. Glad to see it's finally alive again :D

@edit: typo.
xbobxAug 20, 2015 5:02 PM
Aug 23, 2015 4:37 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Late reply is late...

xbobx said:
With the creation of this new sub-section, I assume all this extra stuff is supposed to go on Background... Or could I still leave it on my review and then repeat it on the Background area?
You can leave this information on your review and also submit changes to include it on the Background section. Many users add synopses to their reviews as well, even though this isn't necessary with the synopsis on the page.

xbobx said:
[...] what does the future hold for reviews here on MAL?
The review system will be getting changes in due time as well. Our immediate priority is trying to solve the mass cheating in Helpful/Not Helpful votes. Once we have that more under control, we'll start considering how to improve the feature to hopefully encourage more and better reviews. I know many users have moved their reviews off-site over the last years, and I hope that we'll be able to create a better environment that will bring their interest back here, if they're still reviewing.
Aug 24, 2015 3:36 PM

Jun 2010
Thanks for the reply! :)
I'll be looking forward to it.

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
5 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.